FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Some good news on the horizon?

Some good news on the horizon?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rFunBoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Longridge

Although its early days, Ugandan health ministry is hailing the spread of Omicron within the country has had a positive benefit in that still appears the outcome is much better than previous variants such as Delta - which was nasty.

Given the choice of variants to run through a population, Omicron gives the better outcome, although not perfect as still many people get ill and end up in hospitals.

With vaccines offering baseline protection from severe illness from Omicron and that having Omicron or vaccination offers a better outcome than Delta and why Delta has more or less been wiped out.

Data on the ONS website is showing that Delta variant almost extinct in the UK due to Omicron being faster spreading and overtaken to leave a high level of natural immunity in the population.

Idiot Farage is going around claiming that a total of 17,000 have died and that its all a big over reaction considering other causes of death!!

He needs go to back and look at the data he misread on the ONS website which does state that 17,000 are confirmed dead with COVID but within the same data, there are 127,000 excess deaths where comorbidity, especially Diabetes has led to death by catching the virus, although the virus hasn't been recorded on the death certificate. They might well be still alive today having not contracted COVID.

Allowing within these figures those that were unable to get the medical care they needed at already overloaded hospitals, a vast number have died due to both COVID and the underlying condition.

There is light at the end of the tunnel which appears brighter subject to further confirmation of more data in that the arrival of Omicron BA1 variant and the rising BA2 from Denmark that it seems that the more 'friendly' fast spreading versions are going to remain dominant.

So long as another more morbid version doesn’t mutate, the virus should start to fall into the fauna of other coronavirus's we catch every year such as colds and flu.

All other pandemics have eventially become extinct or have fallen into the background and now that immunity is stronger in the herd and variants are milder, there are strong signs of better things ahead.

200 years ago, a pandemic from a coronavirus jumped from cows, is still found today and part of the set of annual 'cold' viruses we suffer with very mild symptoms.

That's not to say continuing with vaccination and proceeding with caution over the next 12 months isn't necessary.

However, it's looking like Autumn and next Winter will be a better and different story.

Hopefully..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

Indeed fingers crossed.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It would be remarkable for the millions of infections occurring not to throw up new variants that regain illness severity. Most of the world has limited vaccinated people and many areas have basic health services and monitoring. We all hope that things stay along the current trajectory

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

200 years ago, a pandemic from a coronavirus jumped from cows, is still found today and part of the set of annual 'cold' viruses we suffer with very mild symptoms.

"

Was this the first mootation?

Asking for a friend.

By *antona33Man  over a year ago

collon

"It would be remarkable for the millions of infections occurring not to throw up new variants that regain illness severity. Most of the world has limited vaccinated people and many areas have basic health services and monitoring. We all hope that things stay along the current trajectory"
so you are just assuming? Are you gonna get the next booster available just Incase of the new variants ?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"

Asking for a friend. "

Pull the udder one.

collon

"

Asking for a friend.

Pull the udder one. "

don’t have a cow man

By *Marvel-Man  over a year ago

In The Gym

"

Asking for a friend.

Pull the udder one. don’t have a cow man "

These replies are really milking it.

By *TMA that man againMan  over a year ago

worester

It is historical fact that all viruses....particularly coronaviruses mutate in in one direction. This causes them to become more transmittable and less virulent. For a virus to survive and thrive it needs to leave the host alive...and preferably active and relatively healthy so that the virus can continue to spread. Dead hosts don't tend to spread diseases.

Darwin had it sussed. It is simple evolution....viruses just do it much faster. Let's hope this one follows the same path as all previous coronaviruses which do cause many common colds but are not any flu viruses.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"It is historical fact that all viruses....particularly coronaviruses mutate in in one direction. This causes them to become more transmittable and less virulent. For a virus to survive and thrive it needs to leave the host alive...and preferably active and relatively healthy so that the virus can continue to spread. Dead hosts don't tend to spread diseases.

Darwin had it sussed. It is simple evolution....viruses just do it much faster. Let's hope this one follows the same path as all previous coronaviruses which do cause many common colds but are not any flu viruses."

Viruses don't always go in one direction. Flu doesn't and even covid 19 hasn't so far either.

collon

"

Asking for a friend.

Pull the udder one. don’t have a cow man

These replies are really milking it. "

I could tell you a joke about butter

But you might spread it just like the virus

By *errynjuneCouple  over a year ago

Barnsley

"

Asking for a friend. "

Don't worry about it, herd immunity will protect us

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 31/01/22 09:05:57]

Longridge

"

Asking for a friend.

Don't worry about it, herd immunity will protect us "

Oh dear!!

I did write that on the hoof..

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"

Asking for a friend.

Oh dear!!

I did write that on the hoof.."

On the udder hand it was an interesting first post

"

Asking for a friend.

Oh dear!!

On the udder hand it was an interesting first post "

These cow jokes are well pasture sell-by dates.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"

Asking for a friend.

Oh dear!!

These cow jokes are well pasture sell-by dates."

I just skimmed through these posts and it's being milked now

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"

Asking for a friend.

Oh dear!!

I just skimmed through these posts and it's being milked now "

Well pasteurised best before

Brighton

"

Asking for a friend.

Oh dear!!

I just skimmed through these posts and it's being milked now "

I’m only keeping one eye on this so I guess I am only semi-skimming

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

"

Asking for a friend.

Oh dear!!

I’m only keeping one eye on this so I guess I am only semi-skimming"

Wise choice to keep one eye on this as there is alot at steak!!

Brighton

"

Asking for a friend.

Oh dear!!

I’m only keeping one eye on this so I guess I am only semi-skimming

Wise choice to keep one eye on this as there is alot at steak!!"

You get an additional bonus point being a “Bull”

"It is historical fact that all viruses....particularly coronaviruses mutate in in one direction. This causes them to become more transmittable and less virulent. For a virus to survive and thrive it needs to leave the host alive...and preferably active and relatively healthy so that the virus can continue to spread. Dead hosts don't tend to spread diseases.

Darwin had it sussed. It is simple evolution....viruses just do it much faster. Let's hope this one follows the same path as all previous coronaviruses which do cause many common colds but are not any flu viruses."

Not a fan of one direction but Harry styles is cool

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"It would be remarkable for the millions of infections occurring not to throw up new variants that regain illness severity. Most of the world has limited vaccinated people and many areas have basic health services and monitoring. We all hope that things stay along the current trajectory so you are just assuming? Are you gonna get the next booster available just Incase of the new variants ?"

I'd be happy to take an annual vaccination, just as I do for flu.

No urge to get ill if I can reduce the chances.

West London

Remind us, has Ebola become less deadly as it has evolved?

The selection process is for increased transmission. Survival of the host is not especially relevant.

Severe short or long term illness is also not death but could be the result of any new strain.

These things are complicated. Hopefully less severe illness will be the direction of evolution, but there is absolutely no guarantee of that.

Longridge

Ebola is a generic name for a group of viruses and do mutate. Due to not allowing the host to live long enough to mount an immune response to evolve against, then it is limited.

With Coronavirus, mutation tends to occur more in those suffering the illness over a longer period where there is interaction with the immune system then the most resilient versions expelled into the air for the next host.

Ebola will have problems evolving due to the hosts quick demise and not surviving long enough to breed mutations in a large population as with the global infection pool COVID found itself in.

As hosts will get sick very quickly and infection is via body fluid contact, not airborne means they can be isolated from the population quickly once infected with little risk to those outside the immediate vicinity - hence only localised case hotshots.

It is possible that given enough infections, Ebola could evolve to spread more easily if a host survived long enough and not show symptoms so quickly to give time to spread it.

It might be a different outcome if a large population was to be infected with Ebola without detection but response to outbreaks is swift for a reason.

Longridge

There is a lot more evidence (including historical) to show that Omicron and its later generations will become background infection that like flu, can kill. But with the disconnect from the zoological versions that Alpha, Beta and Delta produced.

USA infection, hospitalisation and deaths are falling as its done in South Africa, Uganda here and in other places Omicron took hold.

It's a blessing in disguise and hopefully with pharmaceuticals, those at risk if worse outcomes can be better protected longterm.

Just the lump going through the hospitals now is where the pain still lingers, hopefully summer will be a better one.

There is also arguments to deliberately infect populations still suffering high Delta with Omicron for quick natural immunisation where vaccine is limited although I don't know the ethics involved. Although some will succumb, it's a fraction compared to Delta still running rampant.

"There is a lot more evidence (including historical) to show that Omicron and its later generations will become background infection that like flu, can kill. But with the disconnect from the zoological versions that Alpha, Beta and Delta produced.

USA infection, hospitalisation and deaths are falling as its done in South Africa, Uganda here and in other places Omicron took hold.

It's a blessing in disguise and hopefully with pharmaceuticals, those at risk if worse outcomes can be better protected longterm.

Just the lump going through the hospitals now is where the pain still lingers, hopefully summer will be a better one.

***There is also arguments to deliberately infect populations still suffering high Delta with Omicron for quick natural immunisation where vaccine is limited although I don't know the ethics involved. Although some will succumb, it's a fraction compared to Delta still running rampant. ***"

*** Thought that was Boris's current plan.

Longridge

Seems we're in catchup mode.

Yes, although with the little knowledge and data available another time - he took one hell if a dangerous gamble.

Not for his recklessness, but for those still with us today, just thankful it worked out. Otherwise we'd be in a right mess as could have so easily gone so wrong.

"There is a lot more evidence (including historical) to show that Omicron and its later generations will become background infection that like flu, can kill. But with the disconnect from the zoological versions that Alpha, Beta and Delta produced.

***There is also arguments to deliberately infect populations still suffering high Delta with Omicron for quick natural immunisation where vaccine is limited although I don't know the ethics involved. Although some will succumb, it's a fraction compared to Delta still running rampant. ***

*** Thought that was Boris's current plan. "

Omicron parties along the lines of Chicken Pox parties?

West London

"Ebola is a generic name for a group of viruses and do mutate. Due to not allowing the host to live long enough to mount an immune response to evolve against, then it is limited.

With Coronavirus, mutation tends to occur more in those suffering the illness over a longer period where there is interaction with the immune system then the most resilient versions expelled into the air for the next host.

Ebola will have problems evolving due to the hosts quick demise and not surviving long enough to breed mutations in a large population as with the global infection pool COVID found itself in.

As hosts will get sick very quickly and infection is via body fluid contact, not airborne means they can be isolated from the population quickly once infected with little risk to those outside the immediate vicinity - hence only localised case hotshots.

It is possible that given enough infections, Ebola could evolve to spread more easily if a host survived long enough and not show symptoms so quickly to give time to spread it.

It might be a different outcome if a large population was to be infected with Ebola without detection but response to outbreaks is swift for a reason."

The point being that there is no inevitability about viruses becoming less deadly.

Even for Covid a random mutation could make a variant virulent and deadly or seriously debilitating.

As per your original post it will hopefully be a decline, bit that does not meet that it is party time yet.

After two years, why f*** it up now?

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"Ebola is a generic name for a group of viruses and do mutate. Due to not allowing the host to live long enough to mount an immune response to evolve against, then it is limited.

It might be a different outcome if a large population was to be infected with Ebola without detection but response to outbreaks is swift for a reason.

The point being that there is no inevitability about viruses becoming less deadly.

Even for Covid a random mutation could make a variant virulent and deadly or seriously debilitating.

As per your original post it will hopefully be a decline, bit that does not meet that it is party time yet.

After two years, why f*** it up now?"

Anything's possible but I can't find any evidence of a virus becoming more deadly by mutation.

Longridge

Agree, it's possible but as with others, seem unlikely. There us chance of a throwback or more pathigenic.

There is a difference between "wing and a prayer" and "proceeding with caution'. December was the former.

***There is also arguments to deliberately infect populations still suffering high Delta with Omicron for quick natural immunisation where vaccine is limited although I don't know the ethics involved. Although some will succumb, it's a fraction compared to Delta still running rampant. ***

*** Thought that was Boris's current plan.

Omicron parties along the lines of Chicken Pox parties?"

West London

After two years, why f*** it up now?

Anything's possible but I can't find any evidence of a virus becoming more deadly by mutation."

Evolution and statistics are buggers though.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-011488089270

Still, reduced severity more likely and to be hoped for.

collon

After two years, why f*** it up now?"

easy I think you should just hide behind your couch for a few more years and let the rest of us carry on as we like

West London

After two years, why f*** it up now? easy I think you should just hide behind your couch for a few more years and let the rest of us carry on as we like "

Strange assumption. I have been out pretty much normally since vaccination and lifting of lockdown. Mask on in crowded spaces. Washing hands. Vaccinated x3.

Life is much the same except for some circumspection. Especially as the wide vaccine role out shifted this from deadly to livable.

Caution and regard for others has no correlation with fear.

Why make that assumption? Most other people accepting the advice of those medically and scientifically knowledgeable is afraid as they have and are taking the steps that keeps them and others safe. It also speeds the transition to normality and reduces the chance of regression.

» Add a new message to this topic