FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Masks work yet you can smell through them because

Masks work yet you can smell through them because

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ncutgem OP   Man  over a year ago

Bath ish

Although the virus is minute itnis still made of many molecules and so huge compared to the single molecules of perfume etc etc They also help stopping you giving it to a vulnerable person NB condoms not 100% so please dont dissmiss wearing either

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Although the virus is minute itnis still made of many molecules and so huge compared to the single molecules of perfume etc etc They also help stopping you giving it to a vulnerable person NB condoms not 100% so please dont dissmiss wearing either"

Yet places where mask wearing was mandatory saw an increase in cases compared to the uk when mask wearing was no compulsory

By *nlyDesiCandiTV/TS  over a year ago

London

"Although the virus is minute itnis still made of many molecules and so huge compared to the single molecules of perfume etc etc They also help stopping you giving it to a vulnerable person NB condoms not 100% so please dont dissmiss wearing either

Yet places where mask wearing was mandatory saw an increase in cases compared to the uk when mask wearing was no compulsory "

Must take mask off for cheese and wine

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Although the virus is minute itnis still made of many molecules and so huge compared to the single molecules of perfume etc etc They also help stopping you giving it to a vulnerable person NB condoms not 100% so please dont dissmiss wearing either

Yet places where mask wearing was mandatory saw an increase in cases compared to the uk when mask wearing was no compulsory "

Examples? It’s very difficult to make fair comparisons between different countries because so many factors are involved, masks play a small but useful role

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I wore my mask to do some airbrushing and the inside of my nose was black afterwards

I’d still wear my mask in shops though because even if it only makes a small difference then it’s worth it?

"I wore my mask to do some airbrushing and the inside of my nose was black afterwards

I’d still wear my mask in shops though because even if it only makes a small difference then it’s worth it?"

And if everyone is making a small difference, at a population level that translates into a big difference.

Have the same issye with my airbrush

By *ananabrumMan  over a year ago

castle bromwich

Ffs it's been 2 years how do people not understand the point of wearing a mask isnt stop you catching covid, its to stop you spreading it if you have it.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

I put a reply similar post to this last night:

A virus is made from Atoms and Molecules, millions of them.

There are over 1.5 sextillion (1,500,000,000,000) molecules made of 2x Hydrogen and 1x Oxygen in a drop of water and more than 5 sextillion atoms per droplet.

So, if you can't smell a fart made up of molecules binding just 3 atoms, 2x Hydrogen and 1x Sulphur, through a mask, then you have a problem. Asphyxiation as you wouldn't be able to breath through it.

It's estimated there are over 50 million atoms, some combined into molecules to make up a coronavirus particle.

Yes, some (but not all) virus particles will travel through a mask and therefore reduce the viral load your unmasked face will spew out such as spit, phlegm and snot into the air around you, hold and contain it.

You should also look up Brownian motion on smaller particles which is significant in the field of filtration which explains how virus particles get caught even though logic says it they should oass through.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

[Removed by poster at 05/02/22 09:40:33]

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Masks work because the virus is suspended in the moisture in your breath... it doesn't just fly about on it's own.

It's hardly rocket science.

Cal

Longridge

By the way.

If you look at the structure of latex and the gap between the molecules, it has long been known HIV virus is technically able to pass through, especially when stretched.

See, even condoms are not 100%. But they massively reduce chance of infection.

If one or two virus cells did get through then the theory is that there won't be enough quantity to take hold.

With any barriers, such as condoms, glass and plastic bottles, although they look solid, the material just does not allow what's inside to fit through.

Perfect example is PEX water pipe, although the water is contained, oxygene molecules can still pass through the plastic wall.

Setting up a radiant heating system, plumbing system, or potable water system always requires a certain type of PEX tubing. The mistake of installing the wrong type can be crucial to the output of your system, along with detrimental to its lifespan. If oxygen was able to get through and into a heating system, it would rot the radiators and boiler. Hence PEX barrier pipe.

Longridge

"I wore my mask to do some airbrushing and the inside of my nose was black afterwards

I’d still wear my mask in shops though because even if it only makes a small difference then it’s worth it?"

You either used the wrong filter medium or wasn't fitted properly. Respirator is the better option.

"Ffs it's been 2 years how do people not understand the point of wearing a mask isnt stop you catching covid, its to stop you spreading it if you have it."

Considering most people don’t know how to wear them properly and don’t have decent ones on it doesn’t make much of a difference

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Masks work because the virus is suspended in the moisture in your breath... it doesn't just fly about on it's own.

Cal"

Really good point, one I hadn't considered

An old style military issue NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) suit would supposedly protect you from various nerve agents, chemical warfare etc.....

But if you farted wearing one you could always smell that....

If they worked as well as people make out we'd make kids wear them.

Or is little Johnny's comfort more important that Old nans life?

They are as much used for protection as they are to make people comfortable being in public again after the first lockdown.

Fully vaxed and wore my masks in most instances when required for reference

By *elboy64Man  over a year ago

weston

So masks work so if on say transport you have to wear one, because you might spread a virus or catch it. But if you drink or eat its ok not to, please it doesn't make sense. One day you'll look back and say it was crap, because you can chose when and where to wear one it laughable.

By *ananabrumMan  over a year ago

castle bromwich

Hey cicipom If you have an differing opinion post it publicly in the thread instead of sending an idiotic private message and blocking me like a coward. I guessing you haven't had to bury a family memember because of covid you collosal bell end

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

What are you waiting to do air brushing I do hope it's at least FFFP3 witch is pointless for covid spread

One is lòking out out bound filtering FFP3 or above it looking at inbound

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

I’d still wear my mask in shops though because even if it only makes a small difference then it’s worth it?

What are you waiting to do air brushing I do hope it's at least FFFP3 witch is pointless for covid spread

One is lòking out out bound filtering FFP3 or above it looking at inbound "

Come again?

Longridge

Masks for chemical and industrial have valves, they filter incoming air and the valve opens while exhaling to allow outward out without being filtered and keeping the filter dry - the whole point of wearing a mask to trap Covid breathed out.

Hence no good for this scenario.

By *indy1971TV/TS  over a year ago

Brynmawr

"Ffs it's been 2 years how do people not understand the point of wearing a mask isnt stop you catching covid, its to stop you spreading it if you have it."

Do masks only work one way then ?

Imagine you're in a busy supermarket and everyone, including you, is smoking. Nobody is wearing a mask.

Now imagine the same thing but everybody is wearing a mask.

Obviously there would be smoke hanging in the air in both scenarios but when you went outside and took your mask off, there would be a residue of tar and nicotine on the inside of your mask.

Now imagine exactly the same thing but replace the smoking with breathing Covids in and out. It seems so obvious that masks have some effect, doesn't it?

Masks are pointless unless you wear the recommended 3 layer, surgical, non cloth variety. Obviously another money spinning idea thought up by the lunatics who came up with the ridiculous rules.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Masks are just another tool in our armoury to help protect health in society

They were not supposed to stop covid transmission, they are only there to hopefully slow it down. At the end of the day all measures are in place to protect the NHS by keeping us out of hospital with Covid-19

By *incsladyandscotsmanCouple  over a year ago

North fife

We now wear masks and condoms when on meets. We don't kiss nor do touch as we now wear gloves.

You know we were so happy to see people queuing up out side a club wearing a mask. Sadly and shockingly they took them off inside the club. Not us we sat there in full masks and gloves armed with our johnnies all evening.

Sadly nobody wanted to play with us. However that's OK because we don't want to catch covid.

"Masks are just another tool in our armoury to help protect health in society

They were not supposed to stop covid transmission, they are only there to hopefully slow it down. At the end of the day all measures are in place to protect the NHS by keeping us out of hospital with Covid-19 "

By *297crissy1Couple  over a year ago

oxfordshire

"Masks work because the virus is suspended in the moisture in your breath... it doesn't just fly about on it's own.

Cal

Really good point, one I hadn't considered "

Covid is air borne if it wasn’t you wouldn’t be able to breath them iin . It’s not the heavy particles that will make you sick as you will never breath them in . It’s the finer aerosol particle that get suspended in air we breath in . Scientist call these droplets . Not to be mistaken from actual droplets . If you don’t be leave me check out the British medical journal .

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"So masks work so if on say transport you have to wear one, because you might spread a virus or catch it. But if you drink or eat its ok not to, please it doesn't make sense. One day you'll look back and say it was crap, because you can chose when and where to wear one it laughable. "

There will always be some inconsistencies in most complex situations covered by rules. If the science is good and it could prevent 1 death, I'm ok with that.

Longridge

"Ffs it's been 2 years how do people not understand the point of wearing a mask isnt stop you catching covid, its to stop you spreading it if you have it.

Do masks only work one way then ? "

The general consensus is yes, if were contagious then you limit the amount of virus (not completely) but reduced enough to make a difference.

It has never been said wearing a mask will protect you as the wearer, hence the statement "protecting others".

If the question was to an earlier comment in regards to filter masks for carrying out work. Many that have disposable filters have valves to only filter inbound air, exhaled air passes through unfiltered so as not prolong filter life.

Longridge

"We now wear masks and condoms when on meets. We don't kiss nor do touch as we now wear gloves.

You know we were so happy to see people queuing up out side a club wearing a mask. Sadly and shockingly they took them off inside the club. Not us we sat there in full masks and gloves armed with our johnnies all evening.

Sadly nobody wanted to play with us. However that's OK because we don't want to catch covid.

"

There will be plenty other opportunities to go back to a club again in the future when rates are down.

A number of friends went to clubs in December and caught COVID the same week, although impossible to directly link to the clubs, some have been quite ill with it.

all around

Most coats will keep you dry in a rain shower even if they're not completely waterproof.

Clothing will slow down your dribbling on the floor if you piss yourself

Face coverings will trap some of the shit that comes out of your mouth before it hits someone in front of you

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"

There will be plenty other opportunities to go back to a club again in the future when rates are down.

A number of friends went to clubs in December and caught COVID the same week, although impossible to directly link to the clubs, some have been quite ill with it."

Sorry to hear about your friends and I hope they all recover well.

Unfortunately the pandemic is not over. It is still very much in operation around the world. In the UK with the removal of pretty much all restrictions, it is spreading fast. (Major leap in December).

The chance to catch Covid is now at the highest opportunity since this all began in March 2020 and with this inevitability your friends sadly caught it and I sincerely hope they all recover.

Longridge

Over the last two months, it's gone from hearing of friends of friends with it to numerous direct close friends having it who then go on to infect the full family unit.

Even with close family members and friends working in the NHS and having contact with patients, it was nothing like it is today.

Mainly primary schools, a family friend has a son with extreme asthma with other issues and done her best to shield him, including not going back into school since Jan where there have been 3 serious outbreaks.

School convinced her to let him go back last week, he did and tested positive Sunday and suffering really badly. It's likely, he'll end up in hospital as colds tend to floor him.

By *moothCriminal_xMan  over a year ago

Redditch

Because the virus lives in aerosol droplets which are larger than the gases you smell

"Most coats will keep you dry in a rain shower even if they're not completely waterproof.

Face coverings will trap some of the shit that comes out of your mouth before it hits someone in front of you"

Using your middle analogy above, calling a mask a face nappy is very appropriate!

"Over the last two months, it's gone from hearing of friends of friends with it to numerous direct close friends having it who then go on to infect the full family unit.

Even with close family members and friends working in the NHS and having contact with patients, it was nothing like it is today.

Mainly primary schools, a family friend has a son with extreme asthma with other issues and done her best to shield him, including not going back into school since Jan where there have been 3 serious outbreaks.

School convinced her to let him go back last week, he did and tested positive Sunday and suffering really badly. It's likely, he'll end up in hospital as colds tend to floor him."

Isn't more people getting a milder variant a good thing?

all around

I can't believe what I just read in response to a child that may have to go to hospital. Have some compassion and keep agendas for a more appropriate moment might be worth considering.

all around

"Most coats will keep you dry in a rain shower even if they're not completely waterproof.

Face coverings will trap some of the shit that comes out of your mouth before it hits someone in front of you

Using your middle analogy above, calling a mask a face nappy is very appropriate!"

The name is irrelevant, the function is important.

"I can't believe what I just read in response to a child that may have to go to hospital. Have some compassion and keep agendas for a more appropriate moment might be worth considering."

There was nothing disrespectful or uncompassionate in what I said. Maybe answer the question instead of the faux outrage?

Nobody wants any child to be ill. The child has serious health issues and it was ultimately the parent's decision to sent the child to school.

all around

No its never a good thing that people get sick, it might be fortunate that it's "milder" but certainly not a good thing.

By *orking Class GentMan  over a year ago

Warrington

"No its never a good thing that people get sick, it might be fortunate that it's "milder" but certainly not a good thing."

Never is a long time...

There used to be measles parties when I was a child, they were seen at the time as a good thing. Generalisations are not always a good thing!

all around

"No its never a good thing that people get sick, it might be fortunate that it's "milder" but certainly not a good thing.

Never is a long time...

There used to be measles parties when I was a child, they were seen at the time as a good thing. Generalisations are not always a good thing! "

I think we have moved on from the dark ages lol, they have measles vaccine nowadays

"No its never a good thing that people get sick, it might be fortunate that it's "milder" but certainly not a good thing."

People will build natural immunity, which lasts longer. This should help until we all get natural Vitamin D in the spring/summer.

all around

"No its never a good thing that people get sick, it might be fortunate that it's "milder" but certainly not a good thing.

People will build natural immunity, which lasts longer. This should help until we all get natural Vitamin D in the spring/summer."

You're welcome to your opinion but I'm pretty sure given a choice most people would rather wait until spring/summer to get natural vitamin d or possibly take vitamin d supplement or even make the obvious choice of getting vaccinated rather than be infected with a dreadful disease that still has the ability to inflict serious illness and even death on some people never mind the long term effects we are already aware of.

all around

Oh, and unless your aware of some validated study of long term natural immunity then that's not one I'd be happy with. We've already done the risks of Covid vs vaccine to death pardon the pun.

Use inhibitor

People will build natural immunity, which lasts longer. This should help until we all get natural Vitamin D in the spring/summer.

You're welcome to your opinion but I'm pretty sure given a choice most people would rather wait until spring/summer to get natural vitamin d or possibly take vitamin d supplement or even make the obvious choice of getting vaccinated rather than be infected with a dreadful disease that still has the ability to inflict serious illness and even death on some people never mind the long term effects we are already aware of.

"

Most people have got the vaccine...and still get ill!

all around

Most people have got the vaccine...and still get ill!"

I think you'll find statistics are your enemy though.

Most people who got the required vaccine are not getting seriously ill and your very words were more people catching it and a milder infection, this is due to the vaccine. A larger proportion of unvaccinated than unvaccinated are ending up in hospital,see what I did there ? I didn't say there's more unvaccinated than vaccinated ending up in hospital as if 100% of people were vaccinated then of even one ended up in hospital it would be 100%

It doesn't matter if you agree or not as it's a statistical fact, and trying to manipulate statistics doesn't change facts.

The link to the statistics has been presented many times, I'll not repeat it as those that don't want to believe it won't bother to read it.

Most people who got the required vaccine are not getting seriously ill and your very words were more people catching it and a milder infection, this is due to the vaccine. A larger proportion of unvaccinated than unvaccinated are ending up in hospital,see what I did there ? I didn't say there's more unvaccinated than vaccinated ending up in hospital as if 100% of people were vaccinated then of even one ended up in hospital it would be 100%

It doesn't matter if you agree or not as it's a statistical fact, and trying to manipulate statistics doesn't change facts.

The link to the statistics has been presented many times, I'll not repeat it as those that don't want to believe it won't bother to read it."

Read what I said again.

"Most people have got the vaccine" - the majority of people in the UK have had the vaccine.

"and still get ill" - vaccinated people still get ill from Covid.

What is statistically incorrect?

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Has anyone considered the fact, that loads of people that wore masks, never covered their noses?

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

The link to the statistics has been presented many times, I'll not repeat it as those that don't want to believe it won't bother to read it.

Read what I said again.

"Most people have got the vaccine" - the majority of people in the UK have had the vaccine.

What is statistically incorrect?"

Round and round we go

all around

Read what I said again.

What is statistically incorrect?"

Your post suggests that you have more knowledge of the cases than I do. Maybe you can give me an idea of what your claim is based on. Mine is based on keeping abreast of ONS data and personal experience.

How many vaccinated people get seriously ill as a percentage of those vaccinated ?

How many unvaccinated people get seriously ill as a percentage of those unvaccinated ?

Read what I said again.

Your post suggests that you have more knowledge of the cases than I do. Maybe you can give me an idea of what your claim is based on. Mine is based on keeping abreast of ONS data and personal experience.

How many vaccinated people get seriously ill as a percentage of those vaccinated ?

How many unvaccinated people get seriously ill as a percentage of those unvaccinated ?

"

I'll try this from a different angle...

Are there more vaccinated people than unvaccinated?

Can vaccinated people still get ill from COVID?

all around

Read what I said again.

"

There are more vaccinated than not

Vaccinated people are much less prone to serious illness and most exhibit very mild symptoms but you probably already know this

I'd like to know how just how many vaccinated get seriously ill as a percentage though and as that's the figure that would fit with most of your opinions I'd guess you know that too.

Read what I said again.

Vaccinated people are much less prone to serious illness and most exhibit very mild symptoms but you probably already know this

I'd like to know how just how many vaccinated get seriously ill as a percentage though and as that's the figure that would fit with most of your opinions I'd guess you know that too.

"

You are avoiding my second question - can vaccinated people still get ill from COVID?

Where did I mention seriously ill?

If you want to know just how many vaccinated get seriously ill as a percentage fill your boots.

all around

Read what I said again.

You are avoiding my second question - can vaccinated people still get ill from COVID?

If you want to know just how many vaccinated get seriously ill as a percentage fill your boots."

You have a point of view,it may be right and it may be wrong but if your going to try to convince anyone then you have to justify your opinion with facts not just repeat the vaccine doesn't work.

Yes of course vaccinated people can get Covid but the vast majority have minor symptoms and that's a fact borne out by statistics published by the ONS,also a fact is that unvaccinated have a much higher chance of ending up in hospital, these are the facts you wish to dispute and point blank refuse to substantiate over and over

Normally I just laugh and move on but I genuinely wanted to know what your opinion is based on, at least you managed to avoid name calling and abuse but I'm afraid I'll not be responding any further unless it's to facts and figures that I can agree with or challenge.

Night night xx

Read what I said again.

If you want to know just how many vaccinated get seriously ill as a percentage fill your boots.

You have a point of view,it may be right and it may be wrong but if your going to try to convince anyone then you have to justify your opinion with facts not just repeat the vaccine doesn't work.

Yes of course vaccinated people can get Covid but the vast majority have minor symptoms and that's a fact borne out by statistics published by the ONS,also a fact is that unvaccinated have a much higher chance of ending up in hospital, these are the facts you wish to dispute and point blank refuse to substantiate over and over

Normally I just laugh and move on but I genuinely wanted to know what your opinion is based on, at least you managed to avoid name calling and abuse but I'm afraid I'll not be responding any further unless it's to facts and figures that I can agree with or challenge.

Night night xx

"

We got there eventually!

So if the majority of people are vaccinated and they can still get ill with COVID, why are all statistics my enemy?

all around

"

"Where did I mention seriously ill?"

"If you want to know just how many vaccinated get seriously ill as a percentage fill your boots."

"We got there eventually!"

"

Yes we did, finally we got there.

You've acknowledged that vaccinated people don't get seriously ill

You've acknowledged you have no data to support your claim

My questions have been answered

all around

efficacy

the ability to produce a desired or intended result.

"

"Where did I mention seriously ill?"

"If you want to know just how many vaccinated get seriously ill as a percentage fill your boots."

"We got there eventually!"

Yes we did, finally we got there.

You've acknowledged that vaccinated people don't get seriously ill

You've acknowledged you have no data to support your claim

My questions have been answered

"

I'm genuinely confused now.

Where did I "acknowledge that vaccinated people don't get seriously ill"?

Where did I "acknowledge I have no data to support my claim"?

» Add a new message to this topic