FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Lockdowns

Lockdowns

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Johns Hopkins university have put out a study showing that lockdowns had no effect on mortality rates and have recommended that lockdowns are not to be used as pandemic protocol in future.

Many could have told you this two years ago but sure we'd rather see how many businesses and lives could go down the drain

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"Johns Hopkins university have put out a study showing that lockdowns had no effect on mortality rates and have recommended that lockdowns are not to be used as pandemic protocol in future.

Many could have told you this two years ago but sure we'd rather see how many businesses and lives could go down the drain "

Already a thread about this when it appeared a few days ago in the mail. 2 things stand out you have only read the headline and not what is in the report and also its not peer reviewed yet.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Have they told New Zealand?

By *orsetCouple777Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Johns Hopkins university have put out a study showing that lockdowns had no effect on mortality rates and have recommended that lockdowns are not to be used as pandemic protocol in future.

Many could have told you this two years ago but sure we'd rather see how many businesses and lives could go down the drain

Already a thread about this when it appeared a few days ago in the mail. 2 things stand out you have only read the headline and not what is in the report and also its not peer reviewed yet."

Is there a peer reviewed study that proves lockdowns work?

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Already a thread about this when it appeared a few days ago in the mail. 2 things stand out you have only read the headline and not what is in the report and also its not peer reviewed yet."

If its this report....

The researchers — who deal in the field of economics, rather than medicine or public health — originally identified 18,590 global studies into lockdowns, which they claim had to be whittled down to just 24 to answer their research question.

Critics have accused them of 'cherry-picking' studies to suit their narrative and have raised doubts about the biases of its authors, who have been vocal about lockdowns and vaccine mandates on social media. 

Most scientists believe that, before the arrival of vaccines and antivirals, lockdowns had a significant effect on cutting transmission and therefore reducing the number of hospital admissions and deaths caused by Covid. 

....then yes, reading the headline doesn't give the full story.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Try looking or searching for recent posts OP.

It's reviewed more thoroughly on Fab, than in the scientific research community

It's not research by medical professionals, nor particularly relevant to the UK.

Lockdowns were successful in preventing hospitals from being overwhelmed and unable to offer any other critical services etc.

Are you anti-lockdown or vaccines OP?

Central

Already a thread about this when it appeared a few days ago in the mail. 2 things stand out you have only read the headline and not what is in the report and also its not peer reviewed yet.

If its this report....

The researchers — who deal in the field of economics, rather than medicine or public health — originally identified 18,590 global studies into lockdowns, which they claim had to be whittled down to just 24 to answer their research question.

Critics have accused them of 'cherry-picking' studies to suit their narrative and have raised doubts about the biases of its authors, who have been vocal about lockdowns and vaccine mandates on social media. 

Most scientists believe that, before the arrival of vaccines and antivirals, lockdowns had a significant effect on cutting transmission and therefore reducing the number of hospital admissions and deaths caused by Covid. 

....then yes, reading the headline doesn't give the full story."

Central

Here's the open thread OP

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/virus/1263127

By *avid4olderMan  over a year ago

North Coast

Irrespective of my feelings and views, there is no doubt lockdown had an effect - the number of people I know now have Covid compared to March 2020 and the proportionate death rates is, anecdotally, staggering. And that’s a fact - if you feel different you can do, but you’re sniffing the wrong dogs bum

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Its easy to cast judgement on the past, we need to be concentrating on the future and lowering these death numbers, cancer and terminal disease death numbers are awful atm, we have a lot of catching up to do.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Sometimes waving the wrong flag is more embarrassing than not waving a flag.

Time to live in the future

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 06/02/22 09:34:51]

Longridge

Many could have told you this two years ago but sure we'd rather see how many businesses and lives could go down the drain "

I saw a report from the same university that stated earlier Lockdown would have save 10's of thousands more lives..

Hey ho.. how memory is short.

By *ffanotdykeCouple  over a year ago

Salop

Hindsight is so wonderful especially if you happen to have eyes up your bum.

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

It’s so blatantly obvious that the concept of lockdowns when adhered too will undoubtedly work that I wonder about the people intelligence of those who deny this.

What part of keeping people away from each other when there is a highly contagious disease do they believe will not protect people.

I’ve not had as much as a mild sniffle since working from home - I could expect a couple of those a year when in the office environment- mostly from parents bringing the diseases in from their crotch goblins ..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Here we go again...Peer Reviewed lol.

Neither was a lot of the things the government put in place but most on here still believe they did the right thing....

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

Neither was a lot of the things the government put in place but most on here still believe they did the right thing...."

Out of interest, what would you have done?

I don't mean right now with the gift of 2 years hindsight, I mean right then, when this shitstorm actually broke, when not a single person in the world knew the first thing about the Corona Virus.

Winston

Longridge

"It’s so blatantly obvious that the concept of lockdowns when adhered too will undoubtedly work that I wonder about the people intelligence of those who deny this.

What part of keeping people away from each other when there is a highly contagious disease do they believe will not protect people.

I’ve not had as much as a mild sniffle since working from home - I could expect a couple of those a year when in the office environment- mostly from parents bringing the diseases in from their crotch goblins .. "

And also, within weeks of Lockdowns being applied, death rates plummeted from 1500-2000 per day.

They'd have come down faster if there wasn't those refusing to stay home or wear masks..

Then there was the 30% who also refused to isolate while positive and confirmed by PCR.

Parallel Universes..

By *orking Class GentMan  over a year ago

Warrington

There were protocols in place at the time for dealing with viral pandemics, not just in the UK, every country had plans for dealing with viral outbreaks. Nowhere in any of those plans were lockdown considered. In fact, they were actively discouraged.

Warrington

"

And also, within weeks of Lockdowns being applied, death rates plummeted from 1500-2000 per day.

"

But is that causal?

Whitty is on record (The Times) as stating that the R number was already on it's way down before lockdown. However, death figures were climbing.. Most likely, the politicians panicked and had to "do something". As the death rate lagged the R rate change, so the fatality numbers came down later. Which would have happened, lockdown or no lockdown.

By *ownhamguyMan  over a year ago

Battle

2 years ago it was strange times. Nobody knew anything about the virus. If I remember correctly Boris apparently was against the idea of a lockdown, that's why he withered. It was only when the scientists predicted the NHS would be overwhelmed he acted. Did it work? Probably not but it slowed the rate of spread down. Most people despite their personal or political views bought into it and the rate of deaths slowed so in that respect it did work. The subsequent lockdowns were a waste of time in my opinion because they had lost the public.

Everyone's an expert, me incuded

Longridge

"There were protocols in place at the time for dealing with viral pandemics, not just in the UK, every country had plans for dealing with viral outbreaks. Nowhere in any of those plans were lockdown considered. In fact, they were actively discouraged. "

What protocols were they?

To run down NHS PPE stocks to cut budgets, to keep airports open at a time it was obvious it was heading our way.

If those protocols had been prepared for properly, then the nuclear option may not have been necessary.

There were strong recommendations years ago of how to respond to the next pandemic. It was shelved and ignored. I was reading articles in New Scientist in the early 90's and they were put down to scaremongering.

Many more would be dead if we'd not had them in order to buy time to vaccines and reduce hospital demand.

Warrington

"There were protocols in place at the time...

What protocols were they?

"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-pandemic-preparedness/uk-pandemic-preparedness

for a start.. if you want to go back further, have a look at the underpinning WHO preparedness stff.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Neither was a lot of the things the government put in place but most on here still believe they did the right thing....

Out of interest, what would you have done?

I don't mean right now with the gift of 2 years hindsight, I mean right then, when this shitstorm actually broke, when not a single person in the world knew the first thing about the Corona Virus.

Winston"

I think we had a COVID outbreak in 2002, not sure if it started in China again. I don't think it went global, like this one did.

By *F65Man  over a year ago

Ventnor

I posted this on another thread about lockdowns, it’s an interesting article from The Telegraph about our lockdown versus the approach that Sweden took. It’s not from there paid site you can just scroll down and read the whole article.

https://apple.news/AxDPKe6dYQCyYL8tKWEgoNA

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"I posted this on another thread about lockdowns, it’s an interesting article from The Telegraph about our lockdown versus the approach that Sweden took. It’s not from there paid site you can just scroll down and read the whole article.

"

Haven't all the Swedish stories been well and truly debunked ?

Ventnor

"I posted this on another thread about lockdowns, it’s an interesting article from The Telegraph about our lockdown versus the approach that Sweden took. It’s not from there paid site you can just scroll down and read the whole article.

Haven't all the Swedish stories been well and truly debunked ?"

The article does not cover that, it just analysis both approaches and pretty much surmises that we won’t know for years which one was the best.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

You read that in the Mail.

Says all.i need to know about the value of the article.

If it was softer and more porous paper I wouldn't wipe my arse on it

Ventnor

"You read that in the Mail.

Says all.i need to know about the value of the article.

If it was softer and more porous paper I wouldn't wipe my arse on it"

Erm, it’s an article in The Telegraph not The Mail, I feel the same about The Mail and The Express. It’s not a conspiracy theory article, it’s actually quite balanced.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I’d put all the papers on a par tbh. They’re all full of crap.

» Add a new message to this topic