FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Covid: Self-isolation law could be scrapped in England this month (i.e. you go to work if positive)

Covid: Self-isolation law could be scrapped in England this month (i.e. you go to work if positive)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *J OP   Couple  over a year ago

Teesside

Covid: Self-isolation law could be scrapped in England this month

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60319947

This was been discussed on the radio this afternoon when I was driving home. Basically Boris plans to end everything relating to covid.

So if you test positive you won't have to isolate and can go about your business, go into work etc.

It does seem like this is now the beginning of the end.

Omicron vastly weakened the virus abilities especially compared to the Alpha and also the Delta variants. This coupled with the UK now having 85% of aged 12+ doubled jabbed seems to have set the stage for living with covid. Many scientists (and the data) back this up, with many saying the impact of covid is in a similar ball park to many flu seasons.

It's been 2 years and now the message is very much life is for living and full steam ahead for getting back to the "old" normal. (not sure how that fits a lot of the conspiracy theories which claimed the government would never give these powers up and were convinced we were heading to an orwellian 1984 reality.

I'm generally interested as to what the regular virus forum posters (from all sides of the fence) make of the governments current plan?

KJ

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't follow the news on covid much. And I welcome the news because I'm fed up. I was made to wait with my young son in a freezing lobby at the hospital because I refused to take a LFT before going as we had fevers. We had fevers because we had throat infections. Not everyone who has a fever has covid. A fever is a natural reaction to an infection!!! I had to walk through where everyone else was sat anyway?!

It's convenient that Bojo and others are being investigated for breaches of the laws they imposed. Almost like a, we'll stop this fiasco and hope you forget about us laughing in your face!

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Why would you go into work when your positive or have flu etc

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"Why would you go into work when your positive or have flu etc "

This

Oh and overall there was more deaths in general in 2017 than this year makes you think that one how many businesses av gone to the wind how many people did not to get to see there loved ones that one last time

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

I think it's more about 'good news' from Boris to try and deflect by from pissing on everyone who followed the rules during lockdowns etc ..

It's interesting that Witty and Valance seem to no longer be part of any of these recent decisions which were and are made by the politicians but till recently the science was part of what and why etc..

Also there's a percentage of the population who are still clinically vulnerable and allowing positive people to go out, go to work etc will put others at greater risk..

Of course we all want this over so if we are in the stages of living with what is for now a milder virus then all well and good but viruses mutate..

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Because one feels expected to, because one can’t afford to take the time off, because one is a selfish dumb fk who cares nothing for others. There are many reasons why people already do, remove the restrictions and the number doing so will increase massively. It needs to happy but I think Boris is rushing this as a political movement to placate back benchers. BBC tonight showed 1 in 19 have covid right now, that’s surely about the highest level since the start of the pandemic? It is not the time to put the responsibility onto the public to use common sense because common sense is a rare thing! Knowingly exposing others to ones Covid should be regarded as assault.

"Covid: Self-isolation law could be scrapped in England this month

This was been discussed on the radio this afternoon when I was driving home. Basically Boris plans to end everything relating to covid.

So if you test positive you won't have to isolate and can go about your business, go into work etc.

Omicron vastly weakened the virus abilities especially compared to the Alpha and also the Delta variants. This coupled with the UK now having 85% of aged 12+ doubled jabbed seems to have set the stage for living with covid. Many scientists (and the data) back this up, with many saying the impact of covid is in a similar ball park to many flu seasons.

It's been 2 years and now the message is very much life is for living and full steam ahead for getting back to the "old" normal. (not sure how that fits a lot of the conspiracy theories which claimed the government would never give these powers up and were convinced we were heading to an orwellian 1984 reality.

I'm generally interested as to what the regular virus forum posters (from all sides of the fence) make of the governments current plan?

KJ

"

No doubt there are more photos of Boris at parties. These will trickle out as and when they are required.

As for COVID, it looks like we are going to have to live with it like we do with influenza.

Spring is nearly here. Usually a good time to start a war, but not until after the Winter Olympics.

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

Well here in Wales I now have to isolate for ten days as I’m unjabbed and my Manager tested positive today even though he’s triple jabbed he will be back at work on Monday and me next Saturday …. Ridiculous

I also had it in Nov and I have looked after my clients with it but now have to isolate … Pathetic

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"I think it's more about 'good news' from Boris to try and deflect by from pissing on everyone who followed the rules during lockdowns etc ..

It's interesting that Witty and Valance seem to no longer be part of any of these recent decisions which were and are made by the politicians but till recently the science was part of what and why etc..

Also there's a percentage of the population who are still clinically vulnerable and allowing positive people to go out, go to work etc will put others at greater risk..

Of course we all want this over so if we are in the stages of living with what is for now a milder virus then all well and good but viruses mutate.."

I believe you are very astute in your assessment, and this feels more than ever a "political" decision to appease the population rather than a "clinical/scientific" protective one.

And yes, allowing covid-positive people to go out and shed the virus will increase local transmission and by virtue put others at risk. That is a given.

Someone in government has decided that this risk is acceptable. No consent was sought or requested.

Teesside

Sadly in the UK we have one of the lowest statutory sick pay rates in Europe. A single adult 35 yrs + on benefits will get roughly double not working in standard benefits (not include extras such as PIP) compared to what the same individual would get as a working person on statuary sick pay.

Not working person aged 35+ gets a JSA equivalent component of UC is approx £75, 1 bedroom local housing rate component of UC approx £85, weekly council tax reduction approx £20 = £180 in basic benefits per week.

The same single individual aged 35+ on a statutory sick pay contract gets a rate of £96.35 per week. Now here is the real kick in the teeth you don't get SSP for the first 3 days of your sickness. It only starts from day 4 So your 1st week SSP is only approx £50!! Then the £96.35 for your 2nd week and so on. More SSP has to cover everything that week including rent / mortgage, living expenses, council tax and all other bills.

That is exactly why many thousands of people will go to work with covid once allowed at the end of the month. Especially if they are asymptomatic or have light symptoms that won't get in the way of doing their job. E.g. just as they have done with mild colds for years pre pandemic.

In many workplaces pre pandemic going to work when your weren't 100% was expected. Many UK employers and employees worked on principle that you have to physically not be able to get out of bed before you take time off.

Many jobs have probation periods were just 2 separate incidents of sickness during 6 months would be enough to either extend your probation or not be taken on by the company at the end of probation.

A lot of companies including local councils use sickness monitoring tools such as the Bradford scale / Factor to richly manage sickness. Its less about the number of days off and more focused on the number of incidents. So for example 2 sickness periods each only taken 1 day of sick is classes as worse than 1 incident of sickness lasting 5 days.

Many people hoped this pandemic would cause a shift in the UKs sickness culture, sadly its seems many companies are starting to revert back to type.

It's super easy for someone in a job with full sick pay benefits (My and K both are) to take the moral high ground on this issue but sadly millions of workers are in the situations I've highlighted above. That is why they won't think twice once the law changes about working when infected with covid. The alternative is rent / mortgage arears and potentially not been able to feed your family / children.

KJ

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

This is fucking mental. They need to provide proper sick pay. They have tests to prove people aren’t faking it ffs!

"I don't follow the news on covid much. And I welcome the news because I'm fed up. I was made to wait with my young son in a freezing lobby at the hospital because I refused to take a LFT before going as we had fevers. We had fevers because we had throat infections. Not everyone who has a fever has covid. A fever is a natural reaction to an infection!!! I had to walk through where everyone else was sat anyway?!

It's convenient that Bojo and others are being investigated for breaches of the laws they imposed. Almost like a, we'll stop this fiasco and hope you forget about us laughing in your face! "

Why did you refuse to take a test?

By *all me FlikWoman  over a year ago

Galaxy Far Far Away

"This is fucking mental. They need to provide proper sick pay. They have tests to prove people aren’t faking it ffs!"

Yes they do but someone earlier in this thread said they refused to take a test, for whatever reason. Maybe it's time for common sense to kick in.

We encourage people not to come into work when they're ill as losing one person for a few days is better than losing all their colleagues too. It's good businesses sense.

Chez/Sheff

Yeah but if they refuse to take a test then it’s on them.

I’m “fortunate” enough to get limited sick pay at full pay, but they give you the nth degree when you get back.

And they’re desperate for you to “work from home” when sick. So it works out they won’t even leave you alone when you’re ill.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think that the often misunderstood concept of an infection becoming endemic, is poorly grasped. It seems that a desperate PM is clutching at anything he can, to deflect negative attention at his abysmal and disgraceful time whilst 'managing' the pandemic.

It leaves the most vulnerable in more difficult and dangerous positions than is necessary, whilst more protection is called for instead.

By *rindnbumpCouple  over a year ago

Our little world of Kinky Fuckery in Durham

KJ

"

The Coronavirus Act 2020, which gave the Governement the powers to make people isolate, restrict gatherings and the closure of schools / business ends 24 March 2022.

It's currently under review in The House of Commons.

Be interesting to hear the outcome, especially when the Government are talking about lifting the restrictions a month early

By *r easy1981Man  over a year ago

leeds

Good

"I think that the often misunderstood concept of an infection becoming endemic, is poorly grasped. It seems that a desperate PM is clutching at anything he can, to deflect negative attention at his abysmal and disgraceful time whilst 'managing' the pandemic.

It leaves the most vulnerable in more difficult and dangerous positions than is necessary, whilst more protection is called for instead. "

Has the CMO stood up and put the scientific case to the public? If not, why not?

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"I don't follow the news on covid much. And I welcome the news because I'm fed up. I was made to wait with my young son in a freezing lobby at the hospital because I refused to take a LFT before going as we had fevers. We had fevers because we had throat infections. Not everyone who has a fever has covid. A fever is a natural reaction to an infection!!! I had to walk through where everyone else was sat anyway?!

It's convenient that Bojo and others are being investigated for breaches of the laws they imposed. Almost like a, we'll stop this fiasco and hope you forget about us laughing in your face! "

But why did you refuse to take an LFT?

Chez/Sheff

" But why did you refuse to take an LFT? "

^^^^

You had the power to change the situation.

in Lancashire

"I think that the often misunderstood concept of an infection becoming endemic, is poorly grasped. It seems that a desperate PM is clutching at anything he can, to deflect negative attention at his abysmal and disgraceful time whilst 'managing' the pandemic.

It leaves the most vulnerable in more difficult and dangerous positions than is necessary, whilst more protection is called for instead.

Has the CMO stood up and put the scientific case to the public? If not, why not?

"

Ask Boris?

The CMO has been kept away from the public for weeks ..

Good, the sooner things get back to normal, the better. Although I live in Wales, I'm guessing we'll follow suit pretty soon.

To those asking why I refuse to tests. I could test one moment and be negative then in theory travel to the hospital and pick up covid. There's an incubation period or something? Idk, so really I could have had covid anyway and it just not show up.

The swabs are sterilised in ethylene oxide which can cause cancer. Yes I know, alot of things we're exposed to can cause cancer but why would I insert something into my body that has that ability when tests are pretty useless anyway?

As I said, I had to walk through the hospital to get to the correct dept. Covid or not.

Also I'm not one to follow the crowd. That might sound obnoxious but if something in my gut is telling me it's not right then I listen to it.

And yes, there are vulnerable people in my family so I understand your concerns but those recorded deaths were tallyed as covid deaths if you had it in the last 28 days. It stated that in the small print of the reports so someone with cancer probably died because of their illness and not because of covid even if they had it and the gov reported it as such.

in Lancashire

"Good, the sooner things get back to normal, the better. Although I live in Wales, I'm guessing we'll follow suit pretty soon."

Even if the new normal for those who are clinically vulnerable, immuno suppressed etc is to be excluded from this new normal?

There's in excess of 6 million people waiting on lists for treatment and some of them are for cancers and other illnesses that will mean they are vulnerable..

Ending isolation for positive people is potentially damning for those who are at a higher risk normally than the rest of us..

It's Boris throwing them under the bus to appease his own backbenchers and gain support for his own law breaking, it's morally repugnant..

Central

"

It should be the absolute starting point. Not some desperate loser, who's trying hard to please as many in his party and to deflect attention from his illegal behaviour throughout the crisis

Central

"Good, the sooner things get back to normal, the better. Although I live in Wales, I'm guessing we'll follow suit pretty soon.

Even if the new normal for those who are clinically vulnerable, immuno suppressed etc is to be excluded from this new normal?

There's in excess of 6 million people waiting on lists for treatment and some of them are for cancers and other illnesses that will mean they are vulnerable..

Ending isolation for positive people is potentially damning for those who are at a higher risk normally than the rest of us..

It's Boris throwing them under the bus to appease his own backbenchers and gain support for his own law breaking, it's morally repugnant.."

It's truly sickening

By *xploring_FunWoman  over a year ago

Coventry

This.

I had hoped that one of the plus points of Covid was going to be that people saw how few people had coughs, colds and flu last year because of more frequent hand washing and staying away from each other when unwell.

Sadly it doesn’t seem to be the case.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I think it's bonkers that people don't have to isolate if infectious.

Saw someone from Sage on the blast night, they haven't discussed this so BoJo must of got that advise elsewhere.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Why would you go into work when your positive or have flu etc

This.

I had hoped that one of the plus points of Covid was going to be that people saw how few people had coughs, colds and flu last year because of more frequent hand washing and staying away from each other when unwell.

Sadly it doesn’t seem to be the case."

Yes. Total lessons learned from the horrendous last 2 years..... Zero

By *ch WellMan  over a year ago

Scotland

In keeping with the current trend with the energy prices and Kirsty Allsopp being enraged youngsters don't buy houses, surely if people got rid of their expensive Netflix package then they'd survive no problem on SSP?

in Lancashire

The change to no isolation if positive is akin to saying to someone with STDs, go out and spread that with no comeback or regards for those you infect..

And I would hope that's not something accepted..

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

This is absolutely a 'look at the shiney object over here, isn't Boris a good lad' move

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Sadly in the UK we have one of the lowest statutory sick pay rates in Europe. A single adult 35 yrs + on benefits will get roughly double not working in standard benefits (not include extras such as PIP) compared to what the same individual would get as a working person on statuary sick pay.

Not working person aged 35+ gets a JSA equivalent component of UC is approx £75, 1 bedroom local housing rate component of UC approx £85, weekly council tax reduction approx £20 = £180 in basic benefits per week.

The same single individual aged 35+ on a statutory sick pay contract gets a rate of £96.35 per week. Now here is the real kick in the teeth you don't get SSP for the first 3 days of your sickness. It only starts from day 4 So your 1st week SSP is only approx £50!! Then the £96.35 for your 2nd week and so on. More SSP has to cover everything that week including rent / mortgage, living expenses, council tax and all other bills.

That is exactly why many thousands of people will go to work with covid once allowed at the end of the month. Especially if they are asymptomatic or have light symptoms that won't get in the way of doing their job. E.g. just as they have done with mild colds for years pre pandemic.

In many workplaces pre pandemic going to work when your weren't 100% was expected. Many UK employers and employees worked on principle that you have to physically not be able to get out of bed before you take time off.

Many jobs have probation periods were just 2 separate incidents of sickness during 6 months would be enough to either extend your probation or not be taken on by the company at the end of probation.

A lot of companies including local councils use sickness monitoring tools such as the Bradford scale / Factor to richly manage sickness. Its less about the number of days off and more focused on the number of incidents. So for example 2 sickness periods each only taken 1 day of sick is classes as worse than 1 incident of sickness lasting 5 days.

Many people hoped this pandemic would cause a shift in the UKs sickness culture, sadly its seems many companies are starting to revert back to type.

It's super easy for someone in a job with full sick pay benefits (My and K both are) to take the moral high ground on this issue but sadly millions of workers are in the situations I've highlighted above. That is why they won't think twice once the law changes about working when infected with covid. The alternative is rent / mortgage arears and potentially not been able to feed your family / children.

KJ

"

Absolutely spot on.

SSP is a joke.

Presenteeism is pathetic and ultimately counter productive.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

There is a situation that is so obviously happening we are missing it because it is right in front of our noses and the timely post here about not testing emphasises what is happening.

People who wont isolate who are positive are not isolating, hence the huge numbers of covid daily cases.

Those that test and declare themselves ill with covid are doing that and will continue to do that.

There is no point worrying about this, it has been this this way for months, which means there is no point having a rule that people are not following, it is that simple.

"The change to no isolation if positive is akin to saying to someone with STDs, go out and spread that with no comeback or regards for those you infect..

And I would hope that's not something accepted.."

If people won't test for covid they won't test for anything.

I just assume people are riddled. Humanity is fucked up..

"There is a situation that is so obviously happening we are missing it because it is right in front of our noses and the timely post here about not testing emphasises what is happening.

People who wont isolate who are positive are not isolating, hence the huge numbers of covid daily cases.

Those that test and declare themselves ill with covid are doing that and will continue to do that.

There is no point worrying about this, it has been this this way for months, which means there is no point having a rule that people are not following, it is that simple. "

Unfortunately

By *he sultan of swingMan  over a year ago

mid devon

It's because of the NHS he's trying to get as many of the staff back working as possible! He has no choice now the NHS is at breaking point! They did the U turn on laying off the unvaccinated as they need the staff now this! Also the military are helping the NHS is a sinking ship!

By *oldilox and the BearCouple  over a year ago

Scottish Borders

"Good, the sooner things get back to normal, the better. Although I live in Wales, I'm guessing we'll follow suit pretty soon.

It's Boris throwing them under the bus to appease his own backbenchers and gain support for his own law breaking, it's morally repugnant.."

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple  over a year ago

Watford

It simply means that it will not be a legal requirement to isolate. Just as it isn't a legal requirement to isolate for any other contagious illness.

Anybody with sense would isolate to avoid passing it on, just as you would do if you had a streaming cold.

Tin town

"It's because of the NHS he's trying to get as many of the staff back working as possible! He has no choice now the NHS is at breaking point! They did the U turn on laying off the unvaccinated as they need the staff now this! Also the military are helping the NHS is a sinking ship!"

The NHS has been at breaking point since the 70s, when people actually started using it. A disingenuous tagline of free health for all for all time .... Hardly a surprise.

"It simply means that it will not be a legal requirement to isolate. Just as it isn't a legal requirement to isolate for any other contagious illness.

Anybody with sense would isolate to avoid passing it on, just as you would do if you had a streaming cold."

It has been proved that a ridiculous amount of people don't have common sense, hence the requirement to make it law.

By *ouple2017.xCouple  over a year ago

glasgow

Before 2020 I don’t think anyone really thought twice about going to work with a cold/flu so a lot of people are going to say the same now :/ but I guess a lot of people can’t afford to stay off work etc.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

A lot of people are going to be angry and embarrassed about this affecting their "new world control" conspiracy sh1te lol

Ask Boris?

The CMO has been kept away from the public for weeks .."

Rubbish.

He's managed to write a letter to all NHS staff

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Bit worrying if have someone vulnerable to look after.

in Lancashire

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

He's managed to write a letter to all NHS staff"

Fair point even if there's no need for 'rubbish'..

My point is and even the most ardent opponents of every aspect of how this has been dealt with will acknowledge the difference in the period before Christmas with how such announcements have been made and Boris's blurting this out yesterday to appease his Uber right wing ..

It wasn't even discussed with the other devolved governments of the country..

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

My point is and even the most ardent opponents of every aspect of how this has been dealt with will acknowledge the difference in the period before Christmas with how such announcements have been made and Boris's blurting this out yesterday to appease his Uber right wing ..

It wasn't even discussed with the other devolved governments of the country.."

Maybe the CMO isn't making any announcements to stop easing restrictions is because the science is telling him that Covid is no longer a risk to the majority of the population?

in Lancashire

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe the CMO isn't making any announcements to stop easing restrictions is because the science is telling him that Covid is no longer a risk to the majority of the population?"

Maybe..

Or maybe the scientific advisors aren't of the same opinion?

It sends out a much clearer message for public health moving forward if the CMO etc are also in agreement with the decision taken politically..

Certainly the difference between England and the other devolved governments is stark..

"Bit worrying if have someone vulnerable to look after. "

If the majority of the population are no longer at risk from COVID, society needs to get back to normal.

The vulnerable are, by their very definition, vulnerable, so extra care is needed to protect them.

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe the CMO isn't making any announcements to stop easing restrictions is because the science is telling him that Covid is no longer a risk to the majority of the population?

Maybe..

It sends out a much clearer message for public health moving forward if the CMO etc are also in agreement with the decision taken politically..

Certainly the difference between England and the other devolved governments is stark..

"

If they have a different opinion and no evidence then it is worthless.

If they have evidence that guided their opinion, it is their duty to escalate it to their superiors. If their superiors have a backbone they will have no issues contradicting the politicians.

After all, protecting public health is their main priority.

By *imnher123452000Couple  over a year ago

Worcester

"Bit worrying if have someone vulnerable to look after.

If the majority of the population are no longer at risk from COVID, society needs to get back to normal.

The vulnerable are, by their very definition, vulnerable, so extra care is needed to protect them."

The majority are always at risk..I had covid late last year...and jusT been diagnosed again ..and I feel worse..Prince Charles has it again I've jus noticed and several teacher friends have had it 2or3times.i have an elderly vulnerable mother so every time I get it ..the fear of God is in me.

"Bit worrying if have someone vulnerable to look after.

The vulnerable are, by their very definition, vulnerable, so extra care is needed to protect them.

The majority are always at risk..I had covid late last year...and jusT been diagnosed again ..and I feel worse..Prince Charles has it again I've jus noticed and several teacher friends have had it 2or3times.i have an elderly vulnerable mother so every time I get it ..the fear of God is in me."

Are the majority at risk though?

The majority have had the vaccine. We are told the vaccine massively reduces the risk of severe illness from COVID.

Brighton

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

If they have evidence that guided their opinion, it is their duty to escalate it to their superiors. If their superiors have a backbone they will have no issues contradicting the politicians.

After all, protecting public health is their main priority."

There is some serious disconnect going on between the senior scientist/healthcare professionals and the Government.

Yesterday a letter co-signed by the most senior healthcare professionals is sent to NHS staff urging them all to get vaccinated. Now the Govt are removing the need to self isolate. Talk about mixed signals!

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

There is some serious disconnect going on between the senior scientist/healthcare professionals and the Government.

Yesterday a letter co-signed by the most senior healthcare professionals is sent to NHS staff urging them all to get vaccinated. Now the Govt are removing the need to self isolate. Talk about mixed signals!"

Most of the senior healthcare professionals got knighthoods "for their service during the pandemic".

Or was for just doing what the politicians told them to do?

Because its all been a farce. I've never been off work with a cold, throat infection and so forth ever. Neither have any of my work mates. Self employed and when someone comes in with something it's the old " fkn hell we're going to get it now" sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. So what. We don't get paid if we're off and no one's that arsed if they're ill for a few days. The worlds gone mad. This government has got everyone that scared their minds have blown. Get your vaxes, wear a mask if you choose and crack on. This whole thing is not the new normal. Not in my world no way.

Terra Firma

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Yesterday a letter co-signed by the most senior healthcare professionals is sent to NHS staff urging them all to get vaccinated. Now the Govt are removing the need to self isolate. Talk about mixed signals!"

Those that wont self isolate are doing exactly that, they are not isolating if they have covid, the high numbers of covid cases point to that.

Those that do isolate are and don't need telling too. This means we are already in the no isolation phase, nothing will change when that requirement is removed, it is already playing out.

in Lancashire

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

No longer singing from the same song sheet..

Mixed messaging isn't how to continue to manage this issue..

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Yesterday a letter co-signed by the most senior healthcare professionals is sent to NHS staff urging them all to get vaccinated. Now the Govt are removing the need to self isolate. Talk about mixed signals!

Those that wont self isolate are doing exactly that, they are not isolating if they have covid, the high numbers of covid cases point to that.

Those that do isolate are and don't need telling too. This means we are already in the no isolation phase, nothing will change when that requirement is removed, it is already playing out.

"

I disagree that the high numbers of Covid cases is down to those that won't self isolate.

There are other factors too, such as if you're vaccinated you have less symptoms, and

Omicron spread easier.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 10/02/22 16:15:05]

Terra Firma

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

I disagree that the high numbers of Covid cases is down to those that won't self isolate.

There are other factors too, such as if you're vaccinated you have less symptoms, and

Omicron spread easier."

Regardless of vaccinated and not knowing or vaccinated and knowing, unvaccinated and not knowing or unvaccinated and knowing, people are not isolating and that is the reason for the high numbers of covid cases.

If everyone with covid isolated the numbers would drop dramatically after 14 days.

This is simply not happening so the end game is already upon us, it wont get any worse and it wont get any better by removing the need to isolate.

Tin town

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Omicron spread easier.

Regardless of vaccinated and not knowing or vaccinated and knowing, unvaccinated and not knowing or unvaccinated and knowing, people are not isolating and that is the reason for the high numbers of covid cases.

If everyone with covid isolated the numbers would drop dramatically after 14 days.

This is simply not happening so the end game is already upon us, it wont get any worse and it wont get any better by removing the need to isolate. "

Wise words.

But surely we can point fingers and blame someone else... Save the nhs... Bloody unvaccinated... Kids... Etc.

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Omicron spread easier.

This is simply not happening so the end game is already upon us, it wont get any worse and it wont get any better by removing the need to isolate. "

You're blaming the rise in cases on a single source.

Do you have evidence that this is the reason?

Everyone I know who has tested positive has isolated. That includes self-employed/employed, and unvaxxed/vaxxed.

Brighton

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Omicron spread easier.

I am going to be pedantic here and say that being either vaccinated or unvaccinated but not knowing you have Covid is not applicable because how can you isolate if you don’t know?

However, agree with everything else. For whatever reasons there absolutely are people who are positive and not isolating.

Terra Firma

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Omicron spread easier.

This is simply not happening so the end game is already upon us, it wont get any worse and it wont get any better by removing the need to isolate.

I am going to be pedantic here and say that being either vaccinated or unvaccinated but not knowing you have Covid is not applicable because how can you isolate if you don’t know?

However, agree with everything else. For whatever reasons there absolutely are people who are positive and not isolating."

I agree not knowing you have covid can't be counted as purposefully not isolating, but they are spreading it so are doing their fair share in transmission, albeit unknowingly.

The landscape is already set and as the the anti-vaccination voices have been saying since the get go, treat it like a cold, that is now the reality.

It will be interesting to see how people will move forward from this point, will groups still find ground to fight over, will it be replaced with another saga, or most unlikely peace!

Bloody hell, I needed to slap myself hard then, silly me, peace

Terra Firma

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Omicron spread easier.

Everyone I know who has tested positive has isolated. That includes self-employed/employed, and unvaxxed/vaxxed."

Cor blimey Scrabble, you are starting to lose your way, you sound like you were supporting isolation, regulation and other witch craft.

I know the end is near but I'm sure another world f*ck up is hiding around the next corner, waiting there for you to get your teeth into

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Omicron spread easier.

Everyone I know who has tested positive has isolated. That includes self-employed/employed, and unvaxxed/vaxxed.

Cor blimey Scrabble, you are starting to lose your way, you sound like you were supporting isolation, regulation and other witch craft.

I know the end is near but I'm sure another world f*ck up is hiding around the next corner, waiting there for you to get your teeth into "

WWIII probably. Covid will be forgotten then.

Ask Boris?

Rubbish.

Maybe..

Omicron spread easier.

I know the end is near but I'm sure another world f*ck up is hiding around the next corner, waiting there for you to get your teeth into "

According to some on here I lost my way years ago!

Teesside

KJ

Absolutely spot on.

SSP is a joke.

Presenteeism is pathetic and ultimately counter productive. "

Thank you at least 1 poster acknowledged the major problem as to why so many struggle to self isolate in the UK.

"Research for the TUC shows that those who are better off are much more likely to receive contractual sick pay. A BritainThinks survey, carried out on behalf of the TUC, found that almost a quarter (of workers receive only basic SSP if they are off work sick. This equates to around 6.4 million employees."

So almost 6 and a half million UK workers will only get approx £150 in SSP if the need to be off work for 14 days or approx £50 (due to no SSP for the 1st 3 days of sickness and the rate been £96.35 per week / 7 days.

So 1 week off e.g. 5 days isolation and released if neg on day 6 means for that week you week get just £50 to pay everything.

If your off for 2 weeks / 14 days you will get approx £145 SSP to live on and pay everything.

Yet if those 6.4 million people were unemployed and ill with covid / positive they would get far more in the basic Universal Credit elements as an unemployed person aged 35+ gets a JSA equivalent component of UC at approx £75, the 1 bedroom local housing rate component of UC approx £85 (this is for a private rent if its a 1 bedroom property via social housing then they can be paid more) finally the weekly council tax reduction is approx £20.

This totals £180 in basic unemployment benefits per week / 7 days or £360 for 2 weeks / 14 days.

So if your unemployed and need to isolated you don't need to worry about loosing the roof over your head for starters.

What is shocking is there's people in this thread even after I posted these breakdowns earlier and still calling those who choose not to self isolate (even when they can at the end of February or in March) selfish and other risking other vunerable peoples lives etc.

Just to add there's also over 4.2 million self-employed workers in the UK who if the can't work they don't earn.

Understanding the above is to understand why self isolation has to end because this goverment decided throughout the covid pandemic to not properly address the SSP issue.

If people are faced with loosing their childrens home and not been able to feed the kids etc to enable a small percentage chance to hypothetical / potentially protect a stranger down the infection line. Well I thinks it's pretty clear where most people will go when in that position with that type of choice in front of them.

Thankfully the unemployed and those employed with full disck pay benefits were never faced with that choice.

KJ

By *xfordshirecouple300Couple  over a year ago

Oxfordshire.

[Removed by poster at 10/02/22 18:51:19]

By *xfordshirecouple300Couple  over a year ago

Oxfordshire.

Are you saying you have never been into work when your ill??

Most people have been into work when full of cold or flu

Central

"

Why would you go into work when your positive or have flu etc "

I wouldn't dream of working with others whem knowingly infectious to them. A culture that encourages staff to work in this way needs major reform.

By *ouple2017.xCouple  over a year ago

glasgow

"

That’s what I said. Before 2020 this wasn’t anything we thought twice about. Employers used to expect you there. Maybe not so much now but then they did. Like I remember phoning in sick once with the flu and my manager said he would call me an ambulance as must be serious if I couldn’t come to work - obv this was way pre covid and wouldn’t be the case anymore!

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Anyone who has gone into work with flu did not have flu. They had something else. Flu makes someone really unwell, exhausted etc. You don't get a "touch" of it. The "touch of flu" is simply a heavy cold - there's a wide array of viruses that cause colds, all with different symptoms and severities.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Because not every company would let you as soon as not law you will be required to work.

Still think it's time to remove all restrictions but have never agreed with company and sickness policy.

By * F 2018Couple  over a year ago

shropshire

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

As with most things with this government… it’s not going to be a legal requirement that you self isolate, but the department of health are strongly going to suggest that you do!!

You are putting the onus on employers to tell you to stay home, but without any legal protections re sickness

"As with most things with this government… it’s not going to be a legal requirement that you self isolate, but the department of health are strongly going to suggest that you do!!

You are putting the onus on employers to tell you to stay home, but without any legal protections re sickness "

There is no more money left.

It was spent keeping perfectly healthy people at home on 85% pay for a year!

think your a stirrer

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Because your tight fisted employers would see to it that if you stayed at home to protect everybody, you would only get SSP and NOT A PENNY MORE. That's only £96 per weekquid and halve the amount you'd get on the dole, if you add in HB as well.

Health or wealth? Choose one and admire the US health care system that's coming to these shores.

Because your tight fisted employers would see to it that if you stayed at home to protect everybody, you would only get SSP and NOT A PENNY MORE. That's only £96 per weekquid and halve the amount you'd get on the dole, if you add in HB as well.

Health or wealth? Choose one and admire the US health care system that's coming to these shores. "

Not all businesses are able to afford it.

teleford

"Anyone who has gone into work with flu did not have flu. They had something else. Flu makes someone really unwell, exhausted etc. You don't get a "touch" of it. The "touch of flu" is simply a heavy cold - there's a wide array of viruses that cause colds, all with different symptoms and severities. "

Given what we have seen with Covid I don’t think that holds true. We have all seen people test positive or Covid, some had a mild infection, some far less mild.. many factors come into play, how much virus you take in, the variant, where it establishes and how quickly and how well your immune system responds on any given day. I’m sure most of us pick up flu virus regularly but the vast majority don’t get established

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Easy don't like some of the people I work with.

North West

"Anyone who has gone into work with flu did not have flu. They had something else. Flu makes someone really unwell, exhausted etc. You don't get a "touch" of it. The "touch of flu" is simply a heavy cold - there's a wide array of viruses that cause colds, all with different symptoms and severities.

Given what we have seen with Covid I don’t think that holds true. We have all seen people test positive or Covid, some had a mild infection, some far less mild.. many factors come into play, how much virus you take in, the variant, where it establishes and how quickly and how well your immune system responds on any given day. I’m sure most of us pick up flu virus regularly but the vast majority don’t get established"

Comparing COVID with flu is not a fair comparison though. If you check out the NHS information on flu, you will see that one of the symptoms is exhaustion to the point it stops you from doing your every day activities. Influenza virus infection has very characteristic symptoms. Most people who claim to have flu do not have flu. They have an adenovirus or a rhinovirus or a coronavirus (not necessarily THE coronavirus).

Because if you don't you don't get any money

Overheard people at work today saying "you don't have to isolate anymore if you have covid."

Person came into work with covid and infected people in their office.

Sick.

Brighton

"

As someone who has had Flu twice in my life this is a big bugbear of mine.

Nobody who has Flu would even be able to work. It is the most ill I have been ever in my life. I could barely move.

People conflate Cold and Flu all the time. They are NOT the same!

You CAN feel really unwell with a bad Cold but it won’t kill you. Flu however can and does kill. It is of a different magnitude to Colds.

Done, rant over

By *irtyold manMan  over a year ago

barnsley

This is all more boris bollocs.he is hoping when hes found guilty for having parties that he can say its all in the past and all restrictions heve now gone.

Its intresting to see the man who claimed to folow the scientists now taking no notice as the scientists say its too soon.

Uk gov are all lying two faced sods time to have a change

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"A lot of people are going to be angry and embarrassed about this affecting their "new world control" conspiracy sh1te lol"

I know, when am I gonna get shipped off to my internment camp?! I've been maxing out credit cards thinking I won't ever have to pay it back.

"I think it's more about 'good news' from Boris to try and deflect by from pissing on everyone who followed the rules during lockdowns etc ..

Of course we all want this over so if we are in the stages of living with what is for now a milder virus then all well and good but viruses mutate..

I believe you are very astute in your assessment, and this feels more than ever a "political" decision to appease the population rather than a "clinical/scientific" protective one.

And yes, allowing covid-positive people to go out and shed the virus will increase local transmission and by virtue put others at risk. That is a given.

Someone in government has decided that this risk is acceptable. No consent was sought or requested."

And who is it who needs to consent?

Cookstown

Because if you don't you don't get any money"

And by going into work you face summary dismissal for reckless endangerment

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

KJ

"

From someone who is now in day 5 positive, still coming up positive each day, even if isolation was not on the cards, I'd be in bed.

For me, I'd be off sick, isolation rules or not.

Apart from all the other symptoms I've never experienced fatigue quite like this, hopefully better soon.

By *dores blackmenWoman  over a year ago

incognito mode ;-)

Because if you don't you don't get any money

And by going into work you face summary dismissal for reckless endangerment

"

Why would you face dismissal when the rules of isolation will be stopped

Employers will need to make their policy's clear to employee's as changes happen

Personally I work in a care environment with vunerable people.Our policy's have changed with the governments rules so far,to the early release if two negatives,I was allowed to return on day 9 of isolation.

When I got my positive text I had to leave 2 hours early from my shift and isolate,

I had no symptoms and felt perfectly fine,I didn't knowingly go in with covid,thankfully everyone was fine,the text was a total surprise from a weekly pcr test (which have now stopped at work)

What would happen if I knew and was told I had to go in,but refused so I keep people safe,I may get a disaplinary for not attending

What a dilemma

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

https://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/coronavirus/index.htm

It just shows how crazy this government has become when it’s own HSE recognise the risk Covid poses in the workplace and it’s long term effects yet by removing mandatory quarantine it makes the situation worse for both staff and employers.

BMA have been calling for months for Covid to be made an occupational risk.

Without any scientific basis, the government could be open to class action law suits in the future.

By *oroRick1027Man  over a year ago

The Boro

No need for testing anymore, if the result is meaningless.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 14/02/22 13:35:00]

Terra Firma

"No need for testing anymore, if the result is meaningless."

Am I missing something here, how is a test result meaningless?

Chez/Sheff

[Removed by poster at 14/02/22 14:41:12]

Chez/Sheff

I’m ill and I’m testing positive.

And it’s not fun, you still don’t want the “mild” version.

Chez/Sheff

"From someone who is now in day 5 positive, still coming up positive each day, even if isolation was not on the cards, I'd be in bed.

Apart from all the other symptoms I've never experienced fatigue quite like this, hopefully better soon. "

So much this! Get well soon.

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

KJ

In fairness, there is no evidence to say it’s now similar to flu. If your immunity has waned from vaccination ( and it will for a lot of us) or your are immunocompromised- Covid is still far more lethal than flu.

The question we have to ask ourselves is where have Whitty, Van Tam and Valance gone……. Not seen for weeks nor a word spoken from them.

"

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

"From someone who is now in day 5 positive, still coming up positive each day, even if isolation was not on the cards, I'd be in bed.

Apart from all the other symptoms I've never experienced fatigue quite like this, hopefully better soon.

So much this! Get well soon. "

Thanks.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Most companies don't have sick pay, so you have to work when you have the flu.

By *lay 4 uMan  over a year ago

bolton

sadly not all people can afford to stay home.

Cookstown

KJ

"

I doubt very much of the government are scrapping the self isolation law with the intention to make people who are positive go to work

it will be up to individuals to look after each other but if this forum is representative of the general population the self isolationg law may well be back again.

teleford

"Anyone who has gone into work with flu did not have flu. They had something else. Flu makes someone really unwell, exhausted etc. You don't get a "touch" of it. The "touch of flu" is simply a heavy cold - there's a wide array of viruses that cause colds, all with different symptoms and severities.

Given what we have seen with Covid I don’t think that holds true. We have all seen people test positive or Covid, some had a mild infection, some far less mild.. many factors come into play, how much virus you take in, the variant, where it establishes and how quickly and how well your immune system responds on any given day. I’m sure most of us pick up flu virus regularly but the vast majority don’t get established

Comparing COVID with flu is not a fair comparison though. If you check out the NHS information on flu, you will see that one of the symptoms is exhaustion to the point it stops you from doing your every day activities. Influenza virus infection has very characteristic symptoms. Most people who claim to have flu do not have flu. They have an adenovirus or a rhinovirus or a coronavirus (not necessarily THE coronavirus). "

I have experienced student halls go down with flu, some folk didn’t get it, others clearly had it but short lived and relatively mild symptoms, others took weeks to recover from prolonged suffering... same virus different disease... with viral infections many factors come into play

North West

What is referred to as "fresher's flu" is almost never an influenza virus. It's almost always a cold virus, probably adenovirus or coronavirus. True influenza is debilitating - not my opinion, but established medical information.

NHS (the last point is the salient one):

Is it flu or a cold?

It can sometimes be difficult to tell if you have flu or just a cold, as the symptoms can be quite similar. The main differences are:

Flu symptoms:

come on quickly

usually include fever and aching muscles

make you feel too unwell to continue your usual activities

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

"What is referred to as "fresher's flu" is almost never an influenza virus. It's almost always a cold virus, probably adenovirus or coronavirus. True influenza is debilitating - not my opinion, but established medical information.

NHS (the last point is the salient one):

Is it flu or a cold?

It can sometimes be difficult to tell if you have flu or just a cold, as the symptoms can be quite similar. The main differences are:

Flu symptoms:

come on quickly

usually include fever and aching muscles

make you feel too unwell to continue your usual activities"

They’re quite subjective symptoms … what is quickly?, fever and aching muscles is common to both..no? And too unwell to continue… I know people who are too unwell if they passed by a draughty window on a Thursday and others who’ve soldiered on with all manner of illness and injury. So is my flu your cold?

» Add a new message to this topic