FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Going to work with covid

Going to work with covid

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *urvytreat OP   Woman  over a year ago

somewhere nice

I work in retail and I’m on a weeks holiday, but just found out my deputy manager has covid and is in work! (I’m not management)

They say they’re ok to be in work, but I’m sure you still have to stay at home. Who’s right? Them or me???

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's not a legal requirement to stay off work anymore unfortunately.

Your manager is an utter dick.

By *azylivingMan  over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

We get paid for covid isolation & it’s not logged as a sickness

It’s a c-19 absence so no negative impact financially or risk to other employees catching it

Does your organisation offer this

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

In England there's no longer any legal requirement to isolate.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I work with elderly people so would not want or be allowed to go to work if I had covid.

Manchester (she/her)

"I work with elderly people so would not want or be allowed to go to work if I had covid."

In my voluntary capacity (obviously very different, but I WFH so...) we call off if we or one of our household test positive - although even in The Before Times we tried to stay away (volunteer levels permitting) with any signs of sickness.

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I work in healthcare and when I had COVID a couple of weeks ago,I obviously isolated.

It's common sense to stay home,you might feel fine,but you could pass it to someone a bit more vulnerable.

By *_MariusMan  over a year ago

Currently Faraway

"In England there's no longer any legal requirement to isolate. "

Now that we’ve sadly left the UK, I keep getting the feeling that the more Bojo fucks up, the more chaos he wrecks on everybody just to give the impression that “there, see, I’m not keeping you lot on a leash”

Manchester (she/her)

"In England there's no longer any legal requirement to isolate.

Now that we’ve sadly left the EU, I keep getting the feeling that the more Bojo fucks up, the more chaos he wrecks on everybody just to give the impression that “there, see, I’m not keeping you lot on a leash”"

Yes. Bread and bloody circuses. I don't like circuses, I've gone gluten free (not really), and I'm not fucking impressed.

(Fixed typo, not a dig)

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There's a lot of silent pretence that they have done a great job and all is wonderful. Daily cases, hospital attendance and deaths going up.

Reasonable businesses and people will want people at home, not spreading infections, leading to some deaths, down the line. It may be that the new dominant variant is more infectious and less severe overall but not everyone is equal.

He's setting a poor example

Now that we’ve sadly left the EU, I keep getting the feeling that the more Bojo fucks up, the more chaos he wrecks on everybody just to give the impression that “there, see, I’m not keeping you lot on a leash”

Yes. Bread and bloody circuses. I don't like circuses, I've gone gluten free (not really), and I'm not fucking impressed.

(Fixed typo, not a dig)"

Damnit, I though the devolved nations had been set free…. Remember folks Boris condones fighting for freedom so no surprise he should not object

I was off recently with Covid. I work in the funeral industry so im handling deceased who had Covid when they died, and probably handling deceased who had Covid when they died, but never knew. Im in and out of carehomes too with many frail and elderly people, so I was off work and isolating, just to be sure I wasnt infecting anyone else.

Manchester (she/her)

Now that we’ve sadly left the EU, I keep getting the feeling that the more Bojo fucks up, the more chaos he wrecks on everybody just to give the impression that “there, see, I’m not keeping you lot on a leash”

(Fixed typo, not a dig)

Damnit, I though the devolved nations had been set free…. Remember folks Boris condones fighting for freedom so no surprise he should not object "

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Not sure I see the link to Boris.

If you have an infectious illness should we go to work and share it with other colleagues ? Norovirus. Flu. Whooping cough. Measles etc.

Manchester (she/her)

"Not sure I see the link to Boris.

If you have an infectious illness should we go to work and share it with other colleagues ? Norovirus. Flu. Whooping cough. Measles etc. "

The government has the power to decide how a society reacts to a disease, under public health legislation.

They also set laws about worker conditions including sick pay.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"I work in retail and I’m on a weeks holiday, but just found out my deputy manager has covid and is in work! (I’m not management)

They say they’re ok to be in work, but I’m sure you still have to stay at home. Who’s right? Them or me???"

The deputy still has some learning to do when it comes to setting an example, me thinks.....

Tin town

If you have an infectious illness should we go to work and share it with other colleagues ? Norovirus. Flu. Whooping cough. Measles etc.

The government has the power to decide how a society reacts to a disease, under public health legislation.

They also set laws about worker conditions including sick pay. "

So you seem to be suggesting that government (not Boris) should decide if we are well enough to attend work.? Is that for all illnesses and ailments it just covid?

Manchester (she/her)

So you seem to be suggesting that government (not Boris) should decide if we are well enough to attend work.? Is that for all illnesses and ailments it just covid? "

Not all of the decision, and not all illnesses. It is, of course, a spectrum of personal responsibility, societal structure, and law, but so is everything.

Does the government have nothing to do with regulating homicide, because X decided to shout at Y rather than kill them? There's an element of personal responsibility in deciding not to murder someone - surely the government is superfluous

By *ocket rocket 2021Woman  over a year ago

Farnworth

Now that we’ve sadly left the UK, I keep getting the feeling that the more Bojo fucks up, the more chaos he wrecks on everybody just to give the impression that “there, see, I’m not keeping you lot on a leash”"

Since when have you left the UK?

Tin town

So you seem to be suggesting that government (not Boris) should decide if we are well enough to attend work.? Is that for all illnesses and ailments it just covid?

Not all of the decision, and not all illnesses. It is, of course, a spectrum of personal responsibility, societal structure, and law, but so is everything.

Does the government have nothing to do with regulating homicide, because X decided to shout at Y rather than kill them? There's an element of personal responsibility in deciding not to murder someone - surely the government is superfluous"

Well no government are not superfluous. However there are some thought processes and decisions that don't need government intervention. Choosing whether or not to share infection with others I believe is one of those that doesn't need government assistance.

If you have an infectious illness should we go to work and share it with other colleagues ? Norovirus. Flu. Whooping cough. Measles etc. "

Ebola... turn up to work....

Manchester (she/her)

Does the government have nothing to do with regulating homicide, because X decided to shout at Y rather than kill them? There's an element of personal responsibility in deciding not to murder someone - surely the government is superfluous

Well no government are not superfluous. However there are some thought processes and decisions that don't need government intervention. Choosing whether or not to share infection with others I believe is one of those that doesn't need government assistance. "

And yet we have companies now telling their Covid positive staff to come into work (Wilko recently backed down).

People might not want to share germs, but without government backup, how much choice might they have if they want to feed their kids or keep the lights on?

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

There is no link to Boris, Just some on here look for any opening however small to mention him and have a dig

By *oobyHotwifeWoman  over a year ago

Thurrock

Isolation has ended, most employers are of the mindset if your well enough come in

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

There is no link to Boris, Just some on here look for any opening however small to mention him and have a dig"

I am guessing it was because he was the one who decided to lift all restrictions including it being only guidance to stay at home if you have Covid

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I also work in retail and know there are people coming in with covid. They don't stay at home because now if we're off it's SSP with no top up from the company. Not many people can afford that.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

There was over 300,000 cases yesterday according to Zoe app. Is it really sensible for people to go into work with something that people catch so easily or is it a false ecomony. OK some may get it mild, but if some don't you have less staff at work.

Also on the other hand now that being eligible for sick pay has moved back to not being able to claim before 4 days, then can people afford to stay off work when they catch it, especially as people have caught it multiple times

To the question of would you go to work with an infectious desease, the answer is a lot of people did before the pandemic and probably will now. I have no idea how this will end

It might not be a legal requirement anymore to self isolate at home but your boss is a selfish sod to come into work knowing full well he's passing on his germs to everyone

Currently Faraway

Well no government are not superfluous. However there are some thought processes and decisions that don't need government intervention. Choosing whether or not to share infection with others I believe is one of those that doesn't need government assistance. "

Hmm…I was pretty sure that it is against the law (= government’s decision) to knowingly spread HIV….even though it also comes with a considerable degree of personal morals…..

By *ed velvet thornWoman  over a year ago

over the rainbow

I'm in education and our new policy is we can go to work with covid as long as we feel well enough even with symptoms ......

Currently Faraway

The penny’s only just dropped that perhaps all this is because vaccines are now available but as the forum Mod said, how wise is it to allow people to come to work if they know that they might spread something that will make more colleagues too unwell to concentrate at work’s task? (I.e. cold-like stuffy nose/head/chest) I still veer towards the “must isolate”.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

The retail industry, like the catering industry, is rife with staff shortages.

Plus far less staff benefits than many other industries. Not to mention how many people are on zero hour contracts.

If someone is not breaking the law, but will not earn whilst off, that would be a dilemma I'd not like to have to face

Some people forget that some work places have disciplinary procedures for sickness and once the restriction is lifted on staying at home with covid (not currently in Wales) then if you're well enough to work then people will go to work with covid.

By *ustfun 1984Man  over a year ago

exeter

"It might not be a legal requirement anymore to self isolate at home but your boss is a selfish sod to come into work knowing full well he's passing on his germs to everyone "

Selfish or not he not breaking the law also if companies don't pay sickness alot of people will choose to SELFISH and go into work as did alot of selfish people who stayed at home and milked it when furlough was still being handed out.Amazing once government money stops how quickly people forget

Manchester (she/her)

"Some people forget that some work places have disciplinary procedures for sickness and once the restriction is lifted on staying at home with covid (not currently in Wales) then if you're well enough to work then people will go to work with covid.

"

Exactly. That's what the government has to do with it. Those disciplinary processes are made null and void if the law protects self isolating.

Terra Firma

"Some people forget that some work places have disciplinary procedures for sickness and once the restriction is lifted on staying at home with covid (not currently in Wales) then if you're well enough to work then people will go to work with covid.

"

Disciplinary process for sickness? Would that be applied if a person was continuously off with sickness, or for one or two occurrences?

By *litheroevoyeurMan  over a year ago

Clitheroe

"There is no link to Boris, Just some on here look for any opening however small to mention him and have a dig

I am guessing it was because he was the one who decided to lift all restrictions including it being only guidance to stay at home if you have Covid"

I very much doubt that he made that decision purely by himself,without consultation with his team of advisors.

By *oody HuddsonMan  over a year ago

sexy town

Unfortunately our government are making it harder and harder to stay off work if you get Covid.

Google Covid SSP for a full explanation.

More and more people will be in work.

By *unner6969Man  over a year ago

Bucks

[Removed by poster at 22/03/22 20:50:15]

By *unner6969Man  over a year ago

Bucks

"I work in retail and I’m on a weeks holiday, but just found out my deputy manager has covid and is in work! (I’m not management)

They say they’re ok to be in work, but I’m sure you still have to stay at home. Who’s right? Them or me???

“In England, there is no legal requirement to self-isolate. But if someone has COVID-19 symptoms or has tested positive, they should follow government guidance to self-isolate for at least 5 days.” ACAS website - www.acas.org.uk"

https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-sick-pay

Disciplinary process for sickness? Would that be applied if a person was continuously off with sickness, or for one or two occurrences?

"

Each time you are off in a year I think, you move up a stage in the process.

I've only been off twice in 5 years so not really up on it all.

By *igNick1381Man  over a year ago

BRIDGEND

"

Depends on where you work but I've seen it where I work, but in fairness its the people who are constantly off on Mondays, or who happen to get ill on that week when they couldn't get the holiday etc

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"There was over 300,000 cases yesterday according to Zoe app. Is it really sensible for people to go into work with something that people catch so easily or is it a false ecomony. OK some may get it mild, but if some don't you have less staff at work.

Also on the other hand now that being eligible for sick pay has moved back to not being able to claim before 4 days, then can people afford to stay off work when they catch it, especially as people have caught it multiple times

To the question of would you go to work with an infectious desease, the answer is a lot of people did before the pandemic and probably will now. I have no idea how this will end

"

It's obvious that the lack of testing and relaxation in people's minds is leading to more people coming in with COVID at our place. Most are probably mild or possibly asymptomatic when they bring it in, but we now have more staff and students who definitely DO have COVID and are asked to work or study from home online, than at any other time in the pandemic. Almost every teaching group has had a COVID positive case or two (or more) in the past ten days, which is unprecedented for us.

"It might not be a legal requirement anymore to self isolate at home but your boss is a selfish sod to come into work knowing full well he's passing on his germs to everyone "

Are they selfish though because what a lot of people aren't realising is lots of employers will not pay people to self isolate with covid if they are well enough to come into work since it's no longer a legal requirement to stay-at-home. All financial support that was available from the government no longer is so I wouldn't say itself ish probably more of a necessity and it's probably best that we don't judge people.

"

It varies from company to company and only those with a registered disability or long term health condition are protected under the equality act.

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

It varies from company to company and only those with a registered disability or long term health condition are protected under the equality act. "

Even then you're protected but not immune, an employer can still terminate an employee who is disabled based on their number of absences provided the employer can prove they have made reasonable adjustments prior to the termination decision

It varies from company to company and only those with a registered disability or long term health condition are protected under the equality act.

Even then you're protected but not immune, an employer can still terminate an employee who is disabled based on their number of absences provided the employer can prove they have made reasonable adjustments prior to the termination decision"

It's very difficult though because they are covered by the disability working directive.

5 members of a household I was staying with had Covid at the same time. I asked my boss what he wanted me to do re coming into work (I'm self employed contracted to a company so I'm able to work or not on my terms)

He told me to come into work even if I contracted it if I was well enough.

This is despite places we visit in the nature of our work having signs up asking you to not enter if anyone in your household has had Covid in the past 10 days.

The places we visit are trusting and believing that we are well, and not putting their vulnerable clients at risk.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"It's not a legal requirement to stay off work anymore unfortunately.

Your manager is an utter dick. "

I work at a school and our policy is still to isolate, we require two negative tests to be able to return. Both myself and Anita tested positive yesterday, thankfully the symptoms are minor.

Cal

I work at a school and our policy is still to isolate, we require two negative tests to be able to return. Both myself and Anita tested positive yesterday, thankfully the symptoms are minor.

Cal"

Get well soon

By *reenlanerCouple  over a year ago

bournemouth

I am just getting over covid now, worlk for a small company,

The boss would have us there even if we were dying as longs as the wheels of industry kept turning,

But I stayed at home waiting for a negative which will probably be tomorrow,

I don’t think it fair to be passing on my ailments to others,

I probably know how I caught it, someone coming to our house to do some work, which i class as irresponsible and selfish

By *hancer666Man  over a year ago

Redbourn

They say they’re ok to be in work, but I’m sure you still have to stay at home. Who’s right? Them or me???"

Irrelevant, your not management interested to know if your manager is actually a dick? People have said he is, ive no idea but you work with him so best placed to clear it up

Well, I tested positive this morning and I'm working. From home. I wouldn't dream of going into the office and I would expect any of my colleagues to stay away too.

North West

Even then you're protected but not immune, an employer can still terminate an employee who is disabled based on their number of absences provided the employer can prove they have made reasonable adjustments prior to the termination decision

It's very difficult though because they are covered by the disability working directive. "

It's very easy to sack someone and hope they don't know enough or have the confidence to take it to a tribunal. I'm aware of plenty of people sacked for reasons relating to disability sickness.

By *ampy and zxrCouple  over a year ago

caerphilly

so whats the difference from 2 yrs ago and now some have been jabbed and some dont want the jab has boris run out of money and cant keep paying ppl to stay off work .

ive had to work thro it all as work in the food industry careers had a bonus and nhs but us who had to work thro it in factorys didnt get a bonus ?

By *harlie RufusMan  over a year ago

Sloe Gin Lane Wiltshire

I tested positive yesterday and no way am I going into office if I can work from home....have been keeping mask on all the time, and until the daily numbers are 90 and not 90,000 we should be sensible.

I think I caught as didn't wear mask at a wedding last week, and also forgot it when I went shopping in Lidl on Saturday

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

It's OK to b in work now with covid yes! Still not had it yet x

By *hancer666Man  over a year ago

Redbourn

"so whats the difference from 2 yrs ago and now some have been jabbed and some dont want the jab has boris run out of money and cant keep paying ppl to stay off work .

ive had to work thro it all as work in the food industry careers had a bonus and nhs but us who had to work thro it in factorys didnt get a bonus ? "

Arh....just change careers and get a job that pays bonuses

, or move to north Korea.Anyone top trump this, surely....you forgot no-one clapped for you guys every week, nhs again getting all the kudos, i was most annoyed that as a self employed personal trainer having to use zoom....no recognition of my efforts....self proclaimed nations favourite sports teacher joe wicks wrapped all that up.

Scunthorpe

Cal

Get well soon "

Thanks, we will try xx

Cal

Get well soon

Thanks, we will try xx"

How are you both feeling?

Tin town

"so whats the difference from 2 yrs ago and now some have been jabbed and some dont want the jab has boris run out of money and cant keep paying ppl to stay off work .

ive had to work thro it all as work in the food industry careers had a bonus and nhs but us who had to work thro it in factorys didnt get a bonus ? "

Ermmm.... Worth remembering its our money.... Not Boris'

By *oiluvfunMan  over a year ago

Penrith

I tested positive yesterday, I work in retail, and the advice was to avoid contact with people outside of your immediate family for 5 days, so yes, I stayed off work. I should also point out I am self-employed, so this is costing me daily

Scunthorpe

Cal

Get well soon

Thanks, we will try xx

How are you both feeling?"

Anita is really rough, very little energy, she slept 17 hours last night.

I am not as bad, I have minor flu like symptoms. If it wasn't covid I would still be at work.

Cal

By *ownhamguyMan  over a year ago

Battle

I've worked in retail (a very large well known supermarket) and pressure has always been applied to work when I'll. They all work on sickness percentages and normally you have to be off for 3 days before claiming SSL, that is why people come into work with the flu or the shits which is handy when you handle other peoples food. Yes we have to live with covid like the flu but you might be infecting someone who has vulnerable parents etc. The only reason the restrictions were lifted so quick is because Boris knows that the vast majority of his backbenchers wouldn't support him.for most people it is similar to the flu,the flu knocks you out and kills the elderly. I know we have to live with it but I don't think it's over yet, another variant? Next winter? Vaccines wearing off? Could still be shit

Great comments! It’s an awkward one because you can’t get lateral flow tests now and the message is .. go into work to keep the economy going ! This variant is proved to be a weaker version that is non lethal, however it is more contagious… certainly our hearts go out to all relatives that lost loved ones .. fingers crossed for all that a stronger version is not brewing! Stay safe and keep smiling !!

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

There is no link to Boris, Just some on here look for any opening however small to mention him and have a dig"

Don't need an opening, he is after all a cunt

I'm currently off with covid and struggling with shortness of breath. I'm a teacher in Wales and the rules are to isolate immediately then after 5 days test daily until you have two consecutive negatives. Failing that, you have to return to work on day 10 regardless of lft result.

I am still testing positive on day 8 but my head of year is making me feel bad for not testing negative. Despite the fact she had it before me (and likely passed it on to me) and had to take the full 10 days due to positive lfts

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

well he is right but if he is ok why did he even bother testing. Ohh I’m going waste a covid test today just so I can tell people of get it. Numpty.

If you ain’t ill enough to be off work we just live with it now and crack on no need for testing. We don’t test for a cold.

somewhere nice

Spoke to deputy numpty today, he’s now covid negative so at least it’s safe when I return to work on Monday

somewhere nice

Spoke to deputy numpty today, he’s now covid negative so at least it’s safe when I return to work on Monday

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Go to work. No reason not to.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Go to work. No reason not to."

we're not allowed to.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"We get paid for covid isolation & it’s not logged as a sickness

It’s a c-19 absence so no negative impact financially or risk to other employees catching it

Does your organisation offer this "

No as an agency, sub contract long term temp, I'm not welcome to come in with this plague. They expect me to stay at home for £96 per week, SSP and not a penny more. considering my job, I think that's a slap in the face.

By *anky_PankyWoman  over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

My son has a part time job in retail and his manager went in with covid and he's caught it now - most likely from him!! He'd managed to avoid it til now!

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Go to work. No reason not to."
Not allowed to and to be honest even if I was, I'd rather not. Many are still being floored by it.

I don't get sick pay either just ssp

Should be a rule, even pre covid, if you've got a cough or cold, stay home. Instead people coming into work, acting like a total hero, but just spreading whatever they have around.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Should be a rule, even pre covid, if you've got a cough or cold, stay home. Instead people coming into work, acting like a total hero, but just spreading whatever they have around. "
Totally agree... people doing that meant that flu cases and deaths were so much lower last winter and the one before, as people didn't spread them

In Usdaw?

Ask them, they'll be honest with you x

By *abarellaWoman  over a year ago

Warminster

So youd sit at home, unpaid if you had a cold?

Terra Firma

So youd sit at home, unpaid if you had a cold? "

Why do people work for businesses that wont pay sick pay?

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

Why compare the cold to all those other infectious diseases?

Seems a little silly really

By *onnatvsussexTV/TS  over a year ago

littlehampton

[Removed by poster at 01/04/22 18:58:40]

By *onnatvsussexTV/TS  over a year ago

littlehampton

Why do people work for businesses that wont pay sick pay?"

some people dont have a choice

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Considering that all the prices of our utilities have just rocketed I don’t see many staying home earning fuck all

Unless your in a job where you get paid either way that is.

"In England there's no longer any legal requirement to isolate. "

really? Still got 10 days here in Scotland

North West

really? Still got 10 days here in Scotland "

Yup, and purely by coincidence, we've had more COVID positive cases at work than we've ever had. Obviously no connection between the lack of isolation, eh?!

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

"Considering that all the prices of our utilities have just rocketed I don’t see many staying home earning fuck all

"

Precisely. People will have to go to work as can't afford to stay off. It used to that we always went to work unless we were that I'll that we couldn't get out of bed. If you weren't that ill then it was classed as skiving.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

"Considering that all the prices of our utilities have just rocketed I don’t see many staying home earning fuck all

Precisely. People will have to go to work as can't afford to stay off. It used to that we always went to work unless we were that I'll that we couldn't get out of bed. If you weren't that ill then it was classed as skiving."

*We were that ill

Terra Firma

Why do people work for businesses that wont pay sick pay?

some people dont have a choice "

What is the driving force behind choosing to work for an employer that doesn't value their staff? I here the phrase, some people don't have a choice, a lot. I'm not understanding the choice to stay working for them?

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"

What is the driving force behind choosing to work for an employer that doesn't value their staff? I here the phrase, some people don't have a choice, a lot. I'm not understanding the choice to stay working for them? "

Not doing well enough at school, then a refusal to relocate to areas where there are more opportunities?

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Why not! Surely we all went to the pox parties as kids, to help us get the childhood illnesses like chickenpox, measles, etc. Why not share the rona love with your workmates.

North West

The amount of COVID and other illness in my team right now is insane. We've never ever had this level of absence. People aren't just a bit sniffly, many are actively unwell.

Our 12 year old son has covid n school said hes ok to go to school .. what a krock if shit . Any one wi covid should be at home like my son .

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"

What is the driving force behind choosing to work for an employer that doesn't value their staff? I here the phrase, some people don't have a choice, a lot. I'm not understanding the choice to stay working for them?

Not doing well enough at school, then a refusal to relocate to areas where there are more opportunities?"

That's abit patronising.

Relocating costs a lot of money.

I had a job waiting for me once, it was an internal transfer. I was willing to go, but I couldn't get council housing, as I wasn't born there. Estate agents wanted me to earn a month's rent every week.

Not being a homeowner scuppered any hope of having a deposit or large savings.

Reasons for not doing well in school. Sitting exams when you've got memory problems is bloody difficult. They tend to class aide memoires and written notes as cheating. All other learning diabilties can be dealt with, this one can't.

North West

"The amount of COVID and other illness in my team right now is insane. We've never ever had this level of absence. People aren't just a bit sniffly, many are actively unwell. "

Three more cases since I wrote this

Manchester (she/her)

"The amount of COVID and other illness in my team right now is insane. We've never ever had this level of absence. People aren't just a bit sniffly, many are actively unwell.

Three more cases since I wrote this "

I'm sorry

"The retail industry, like the catering industry, is rife with staff shortages.

Plus far less staff benefits than many other industries. Not to mention how many people are on zero hour contracts.

If someone is not breaking the law, but will not earn whilst off, that would be a dilemma I'd not like to have to face "

My ex worked in a bank. She was 52. Had been sent home in March 2020 as she was high risk. She was called back into work 2nd week of Oct 2020. The cleaner had Covid but went into work as she needed the money. Two staff caught the virus that week. One was my ex. She was admitted to ICU a week later and died on 7/11/2020 leaving a son aged 19 and daughter aged 16. Choosing to go anywhere when you have the virus may affect someone like my children. Just saying.

By *elrose57Couple  over a year ago

reading

i am self employed if i don,t work, i don,t get paid , last Monday i tested possessive,i went back to work over a week later after i tested negative two days running,i did not want to give it to anyone else, its wrong going to work with covid is irresponsible, those who do are prolonging it for everyone else, there are many words for them

By *artiningramMan  over a year ago

Newport

The deputy manager is breaking the law. Under the saftey at workers act. You are required by law not to put your fellow work colleuges in harm or damger. As they do not know what thier infection may do to some one then they must stay away until clear. Under this act they can be potetialy prosectted if some one else falls ill or dies. The fact they know they know they have and it is know to be fatal they can be prosecuted. You are obliged to report to health and saftey. This person is knowing putting others in harms way.

By *artiningramMan  over a year ago

Newport

The deputy manager is breaking the law. Under the saftey at workers act. You are required by law not to put your fellow work colleuges in harm or damger. As they do not know what thier infection may do to some one then they must stay away until clear. Under this act they can be potetialy prosectted if some one else falls ill or dies. The fact they know they know they have and it is know to be fatal they can be prosecuted. You are obliged to report to health and saftey. This person is knowing putting others in harms way.

Go to work, only stay home if you're not well. Same as before covid popped up.

[Removed by poster at 05/04/22 21:33:40]

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"The deputy manager is breaking the law. Under the saftey at workers act. You are required by law not to put your fellow work colleuges in harm or damger. As they do not know what thier infection may do to some one then they must stay away until clear. Under this act they can be potetialy prosectted if some one else falls ill or dies. The fact they know they know they have and it is know to be fatal they can be prosecuted. You are obliged to report to health and saftey. This person is knowing putting others in harms way. "

Good old section 2

Section 2 of HSWA places a general duty on employers to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all their employees.

By *omer47Man  over a year ago

leigh

I've caught covid and I've had to go to work as I can't afford not to. I've not had it bad, just cold like symptoms. My company doesn't pay sick pay or I'd have taken time off.

I've kept clear of covid for over 2yrs, keeping my mrs and mother in law safe from the virus,doing exactly what the government advised etc, so when they lifted restrictions and my mrs went out on a hen night in mcr 3/4weeks afterwards and come back with the virus I'll be honest and say I was furious. I'd worked all through the lockdown and wasn't happy that someone who had the virus went out in mcr and basically passed it on to whoever was close to them. Mask wearing should never have been restricted. In Scotland and Wales its still mandatory and we should have kept it aswell.

By *irtyold manMan  over a year ago

barnsley

Now you have to go to work with covid.

Just remember to thank boris for it at next election.

And remember covid is now at its highest thanks to oure wonderfull gov

By *nal-DelightTV/TS  over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Stop snivelling.

Put a mask n gloves on and go to work. Keep your mouth shut and go home. Honestly that's enough to protect others and no contact at all. People don't know if they've got it or not anyways. Feel unwell? It could literally be anything including your imagination.

Take a test? Too late, you've infected everyone already.

"I've caught covid and I've had to go to work as I can't afford not to. I've not had it bad, just cold like symptoms. My company doesn't pay sick pay or I'd have taken time off.

I've kept clear of covid for over 2yrs, keeping my mrs and mother in law safe from the virus,doing exactly what the government advised etc, so when they lifted restrictions and my mrs went out on a hen night in mcr 3/4weeks afterwards and come back with the virus I'll be honest and say I was furious. I'd worked all through the lockdown and wasn't happy that someone who had the virus went out in mcr and basically passed it on to whoever was close to them. Mask wearing should never have been restricted. In Scotland and Wales its still mandatory and we should have kept it aswell. "

You went in to work with it. Congratulations on passing it on to other people.

Bit daft blaming the Mancs for passing it on when you are too.

By *uxom redCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I currently have covid and don't feel well enough to go to work even after 10 days isolation.

We are not going to the MSL just incase we pass it on.

I know its personal choice but I could not live with mys if some one got really ill because of my actions.

By *esYesOMGYes!Man  over a year ago

M20

The only time Boris influences policy is when he fluffs his lines.

So regularly.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I currently have covid and don't feel well enough to go to work even after 10 days isolation.

We are not going to the MSL just incase we pass it on.

I know its personal choice but I could not live with mys if some one got really ill because of my actions. "

I wish everyone had the same attitude. I will never want to put anyone at risk around me and strongly believe is the right think to do. I wonder though if everyone does. I know lots of people currently with it,some mild but some quite bad. They have all stayed at home till showing negative.The total relaxation of rules should not stop individuals doing their best to protect those around some of whom as we know can be very vulnerable. Just my humble opinion.

By *inkymixedguyMan  over a year ago

southampton

Your manager is an utter dick. "

Wouldn’t call him a dick. You don’t know his situation. Many ppl at my work have been working with covid because they can’t afford to be off work. As long as they wear a mask n wash hands often I’m fine with it.

By *Just meMan  over a year ago

basingstoke

They should be off... Lets put it this way; if someone finds out and they get covid then the company and the individual could be held accountable under health and safety legislation for creating an unsafe working environment. All I can say is that the company needs one hell of watertight risk assessment to avoid liability and that is about as likely as the RMS Titanic being unsinkable.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

They should be off... Lets put it this way; if someone finds out and they get covid then the company and the individual could be held accountable under health and safety legislation for creating an unsafe working environment. All I can say is that the company needs one hell of watertight risk assessment to avoid liability and that is about as likely as the RMS Titanic being unsinkable."

Not anymore as it's no longer a legal requirement to isolate or test plus you'd have to prove that it was definitely work you got it from and with the current level of infection you'd be hard pressed to do so.

By *rivervaderMan  over a year ago

bolton

If I don’t work I don’t get paid even if off with covid so I’m in work can’t breath but I work on my own so have no choice

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

I have caught covid this weekend, tested positive this morning. I won’t go to the office at least for this week and next

I can work from home But at moment I am not well enough to work at all

I've set up all of our staff to work at home if they're well enough.

I realise we're fortunate to be in that position and if we couldn't I'd still advise them to stay home (and I'll pay them) until they test clear regardless of what any governments says.

Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 19/04/22 14:48:04]

Yorkshire

"I've set up all of our staff to work at home if they're well enough.

I realise we're fortunate to be in that position and if we couldn't I'd still advise them to stay home (and I'll pay them) until they test clear regardless of what any governments says."

ing to do. Regardless of the law, I would never contemplate knowingly going about with it whether at work or elsewhere and risk passing it on to anyone and especially someone vulnerable that could be serious or even fatal for. . My opinion and I am sure others will differ but there you go.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

We now don't get paid for covid time off or provided with testing kits. So I'll be going to work if I'm well enough like with any other illness.

Terra Firma

"We now don't get paid for covid time off or provided with testing kits. So I'll be going to work if I'm well enough like with any other illness."

Would it be a good move to find another job that treats you better than this one?

Manchester (she/her)

"We now don't get paid for covid time off or provided with testing kits. So I'll be going to work if I'm well enough like with any other illness."

I hope that anyone who might catch it from you is similarly fortunate that they can keep working.

Teesside

"We now don't get paid for covid time off or provided with testing kits. So I'll be going to work if I'm well enough like with any other illness.

I hope that anyone who might catch it from you is similarly fortunate that they can keep working."

Take it up with your MP and anyone who voted for the shower of shite in power.

I've tested daily throughout, zero furlough, isolated when required by law. I've lost thousands in unpaid time off waiting for pcr tests. I however won't now be taking anymore unpaid time off for the small possibility that someone could potentially get sick, I work fairly isolated and the risk of infecting anyone is minimal.

I have bills to pay and kids to provide for. The harsh reality is, in my list of priorities my family comes first before anyone else.

With the cost of living rising like it has lately, many people will have the same outlook.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

It maybe no longer a legal requirement. However if you infect everyone else in your work the people too ill to work woukd start to impact on the businesses ability to offer its services.

There are calls already yto make testing free again because of this

Teesside

"We now don't get paid for covid time off or provided with testing kits. So I'll be going to work if I'm well enough like with any other illness.

Would it be a good move to find another job that treats you better than this one? "

Why? I like my job. It pays very well, I get lots of time off, outside of paid time off I have very little concerns. They have stuck with covid guidance throughout. The blame for any of this lies at Boris and Co's feet. Not who I choose to earn a living with.

Manchester (she/her)

I hope that anyone who might catch it from you is similarly fortunate that they can keep working.Take it up with your MP and anyone who voted for the shower of shite in power.

I've tested daily throughout, zero furlough, isolated when required by law. I've lost thousands in unpaid time off waiting for pcr tests. I however won't now be taking anymore unpaid time off for the small possibility that someone could potentially get sick, I work fairly isolated and the risk of infecting anyone is minimal.

I have bills to pay and kids to provide for. The harsh reality is, in my list of priorities my family comes first before anyone else.

With the cost of living rising like it has lately, many people will have the same outlook."

I have taken it up with my MP, and I've never voted Tory in my life. I also test before and mask when in contact with others, and have worked in the background to ease the burden on social care in my free time.

I hope that you and your colleagues remain well and are able to continue to provide for your families. I suspect that for many, this will prove difficult, and that mitigation and support would alleviate financial hardship.

Teesside

I hope that anyone who might catch it from you is similarly fortunate that they can keep working.Take it up with your MP and anyone who voted for the shower of shite in power.

With the cost of living rising like it has lately, many people will have the same outlook.

I have taken it up with my MP, and I've never voted Tory in my life. I also test before and mask when in contact with others, and have worked in the background to ease the burden on social care in my free time.

I hope that you and your colleagues remain well and are able to continue to provide for your families. I suspect that for many, this will prove difficult, and that mitigation and support would alleviate financial hardship."

Thankfully we havent had a serious case of covid throughout and not many cases overall compared to other workplaces I hear about, like I said the risk of transmission is low. We have had diligent risk assessment of workspaces in regards to covid, CO2 metres, air flow and social distancing still mostly in place where its feasible.

The safety net of daily testing being provided was always a reassurance though(despite the limitations of lft's(

Manchester (she/her)

I hope that you and your colleagues remain well and are able to continue to provide for your families. I suspect that for many, this will prove difficult, and that mitigation and support would alleviate financial hardship.Thankfully we havent had a serious case of covid throughout and not many cases overall compared to other workplaces I hear about, like I said the risk of transmission is low. We have had diligent risk assessment of workspaces in regards to covid, CO2 metres, air flow and social distancing still mostly in place where its feasible.

The safety net of daily testing being provided was always a reassurance though(despite the limitations of lft's("

I'm glad you've got ventilation. That's absolutely a positive, and should be more widely adopted.

I just think this is all being horribly mismanaged, and the risks of "freedom" are being forced upon those who can least afford to pay them - who can't afford to miss work and thus risk falling ill to an unknown extent with a disease we still don't understand the long term effects of. (And kids. Jesus wept)

By *haquele oatmealMan  over a year ago

cork

Why are people still talking about covid has the penny dropped yet

Manchester (she/her)

"Why are people still talking about covid has the penny dropped yet "

Might I suggest if you want to avoid discussion of Covid, you might do well to skip this section of the forum?

I've had 6 different jobs during the lockdown periods due to redundancies. Haven't taken a day off, not had Covid, yet my NI has increased because people had the sniffles and needed 2 weeks to 'recover'. I understand there is a virus, but the severity of it from person to person differs. Those who milked the system by taking unnecessary days off work, have now fucked it up for everyone else. *Not been jabbed.

Manchester (she/her)

"I've had 6 different jobs during the lockdown periods due to redundancies. Haven't taken a day off, not had Covid, yet my NI has increased because people had the sniffles and needed 2 weeks to 'recover'. I understand there is a virus, but the severity of it from person to person differs. Those who milked the system by taking unnecessary days off work, have now fucked it up for everyone else. *Not been jabbed."

I think what you mean to say is that your NI has increased because the government has chosen to increase it, rather than exploring other mechanisms to raise revenue.

I hope you stay well.

Tin town

[Removed by poster at 20/04/22 12:19:47]

Yorkshire

It's so sad to hear that people are considering working, mixing or socialising with others knowing that they have covid. I am not here to preach and I hear about the financial reasons and the lack of support given but I just couldn't do it. The thought of passing it to someone with possibly devastating consequences for them is not something that sits well with me. It makes me wonder how many people also board planes to go on holiday knowing they have it and not bothered passing it on to others and potentially ruin their holiday or worse. I would consider that totally selfish, especially as insurance does cover gor cancellation of holidays due to covid if you test positive.

Teesside

"It's so sad to hear that people are considering working, mixing or socialising with others knowing that they have covid. I am not here to preach and I hear about the financial reasons and the lack of support given but I just couldn't do it. The thought of passing it to someone with possibly devastating consequences for them is not something that sits well with me. It makes me wonder how many people also board planes to go on holiday knowing they have it and not bothered passing it on to others and potentially ruin their holiday or worse. I would consider that totally selfish, especially as insurance does cover gor cancellation of holidays due to covid if you test positive. "
Insurance won't pay my mortgage or other bills if I lose my job for having too many sick days. If people are worried about catching COVID then I suggest they take that financial risk and stay home. The government haven't left a lot of other people much choice.

Yorkshire

It's understandable to take this personally but was not meant to be. There are things that people do that don't have to and won't impact on them financially but still choose to put orhers at risk and you constantly see that all around. I still believe that to be irresponsible and selfish in my humble opinion. In your case the answer as you allude yourself to lies in your last sentence that the government should have ensured nobody was put in that position where they had to choose whether to pay bills or stay at home and protect others but ....

"I've had 6 different jobs during the lockdown periods due to redundancies. Haven't taken a day off, not had Covid, yet my NI has increased because people had the sniffles and needed 2 weeks to 'recover'. I understand there is a virus, but the severity of it from person to person differs. Those who milked the system by taking unnecessary days off work, have now fucked it up for everyone else. *Not been jabbed.

I think what you mean to say is that your NI has increased because the government has chosen to increase it, rather than exploring other mechanisms to raise revenue.

I hope you stay well."

Increased to pay the NHS back. Yeah.

Terra Firma

Would it be a good move to find another job that treats you better than this one? Why? I like my job. It pays very well, I get lots of time off, outside of paid time off I have very little concerns. They have stuck with covid guidance throughout. The blame for any of this lies at Boris and Co's feet. Not who I choose to earn a living with."

If you are paid very well and you get lots of time off, why did you blame going into work if you have covid because you don't get paid and don't get test kits?

Teesside

"It's understandable to take this personally but was not meant to be. There are things that people do that don't have to and won't impact on them financially but still choose to put orhers at risk and you constantly see that all around. I still believe that to be irresponsible and selfish in my humble opinion. In your case the answer as you allude yourself to lies in your last sentence that the government should have ensured nobody was put in that position where they had to choose whether to pay bills or stay at home and protect others but ...."
I can understand why they have scrapped everything. The system was abused by lots of people. In my workplace alone the "I have symptoms now need a pcr test" excuse was used by many for a few days off. That's not even starting on the furlough scams I've heard of and companies claiming for furlough when it wasn't needed.

However I don't think an all or nothing binary outlook is the way it should have been handled but I'm not surprised, cause its been mishandled from day 1.

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

"I've had 6 different jobs during the lockdown periods due to redundancies. Haven't taken a day off, not had Covid, yet my NI has increased because people had the sniffles and needed 2 weeks to 'recover'. I understand there is a virus, but the severity of it from person to person differs. Those who milked the system by taking unnecessary days off work, have now fucked it up for everyone else. *Not been jabbed.

I hope you stay well.

Increased to pay the NHS back. Yeah. "

pay the NHS back??? Their debts where written off during the pandemic. NI has not been put up to pay anything back it’s been put up to cover its Insanely high poor running cost and the fact that not enough people pay NI

Manchester (she/her)

I hope you stay well.

Increased to pay the NHS back. Yeah. "

So they claim. There are lots of ways they could raise revenue and allocate resources.

But if you choose to believe the crime minister and his cronies, I guess that's your prerogative

I hope you stay well.

So they claim. There are lots of ways they could raise revenue and allocate resources.

But if you choose to believe the crime minister and his cronies, I guess that's your prerogative"

It was increased to help the NHS out financially. Think what you like.

Manchester (she/her)

I hope you stay well.

But if you choose to believe the crime minister and his cronies, I guess that's your prerogative

It was increased to help the NHS out financially. Think what you like."

Why thank you, I do. For example, I think anyone who believes anything that the crime minister says is adorably naive.

Yorkshire

My understanding was that it was to support social care primarily. Nit that anything they have done with their changes will do that widely. Especially as the cap they introduced only applies to care at home and not if you are in care. It's just politics, mixed with a bit of spreadsheet adjustments renaming stuff, taking a bit from one cumn, adding to another, you know how it works. And that's my lot as I am not here for the politics for sure.

Manchester (she/her)

"My understanding was that it was to support social care primarily. Nit that anything they have done with their changes will do that widely. Especially as the cap they introduced only applies to care at home and not if you are in care. It's just politics, mixed with a bit of spreadsheet adjustments renaming stuff, taking a bit from one cumn, adding to another, you know how it works. And that's my lot as I am not here for the politics for sure. "

Yes, look at the allocation of funds over time and you'll see a sharp decrease since 2010. Facts are facts and all.

I hope you stay well.

It was increased to help the NHS out financially. Think what you like."

Sorry, didn't mean to add the last quote to this post. I don't believe the Prime Minister, nor did I believe a single word that was coming out of Chis Whittys' mouth. Many did though. How would you suggest the government raised the money for the NHS?

Tin town

Would it be a good move to find another job that treats you better than this one? Why? I like my job. It pays very well, I get lots of time off, outside of paid time off I have very little concerns. They have stuck with covid guidance throughout. The blame for any of this lies at Boris and Co's feet. Not who I choose to earn a living with.

If you are paid very well and you get lots of time off, why did you blame going into work if you have covid because you don't get paid and don't get test kits? "

Because "free" stuff is great?

Manchester (she/her)

I hope you stay well.

Sorry, didn't mean to add the last quote to this post. I don't believe the Prime Minister, nor did I believe a single word that was coming out of Chis Whittys' mouth. Many did though. How would you suggest the government raised the money for the NHS?"

Chasing the fraud committed through the furlough scheme (which they've chosen to abandon), taxing extreme wealth in mega corporations (and enforcing laws against them as they'd be enforced against you or me), seeking competitive tenders rather than the VIP lane. For example.

I hope you stay well.

Sorry, didn't mean to add the last quote to this post. I don't believe the Prime Minister, nor did I believe a single word that was coming out of Chis Whittys' mouth. Many did though. How would you suggest the government raised the money for the NHS?

Chasing the fraud committed through the furlough scheme (which they've chosen to abandon), taxing extreme wealth in mega corporations (and enforcing laws against them as they'd be enforced against you or me), seeking competitive tenders rather than the VIP lane. For example.

"

I'd agree with the fraud over the furlough scheme, and the offering of multi million pound contacts to friends and family over the production of PPE, but that'd be like the people in government taking money out of their pockets to give it back to the public, we know that'd never happen. The only way they could raise the money, would be to increase something that every adult pays.

Manchester (she/her)

I hope you stay well.

I'd agree with the fraud over the furlough scheme, and the offering of multi million pound contacts to friends and family over the production of PPE, but that'd be like the people in government taking money out of their pockets to give it back to the public, we know that'd never happen. The only way they could raise the money, would be to increase something that every adult pays."

So we accept that our government are criminal and just keep paying for it? Bollocks to that.

At least I have ideas.

I hope you stay well.

I'd agree with the fraud over the furlough scheme, and the offering of multi million pound contacts to friends and family over the production of PPE, but that'd be like the people in government taking money out of their pockets to give it back to the public, we know that'd never happen. The only way they could raise the money, would be to increase something that every adult pays.

So we accept that our government are criminal and just keep paying for it? Bollocks to that.

At least I have ideas."

I've never said I trusted the government. I don't, I don't listen to what they have to say either, hence why I've not been jabbed with some experimental concoction. Everyone has ideas, theories etc. Nothing gets done though. Nice day to you.

Manchester (she/her)

I hope you stay well.

At least I have ideas.

I've never said I trusted the government. I don't, I don't listen to what they have to say either, hence why I've not been jabbed with some experimental concoction. Everyone has ideas, theories etc. Nothing gets done though. Nice day to you. "

Ok. I've had five jabs because I recognise that science and this government aren't the same thing (and I was actually on a clinical trial).

Glad to know that "complain about taxes but say criminals in leadership is inevitable" is exactly the same as "discuss viable alternatives".

I hope you stay well, and don't trust that removing of restrictions means you're safe - it just means that the crime syndicate deem you expendable.

Terra Firma

I hope you stay well.

At least I have ideas.

I've never said I trusted the government. I don't, I don't listen to what they have to say either, hence why I've not been jabbed with some experimental concoction. Everyone has ideas, theories etc. Nothing gets done though. Nice day to you. "

Reading your opening post, it occurs to me you have been very unlucky. Did you lose 6 roles through 6 lots of redundancy?

I hope you stay well.

At least I have ideas.

I've never said I trusted the government. I don't, I don't listen to what they have to say either, hence why I've not been jabbed with some experimental concoction. Everyone has ideas, theories etc. Nothing gets done though. Nice day to you.

Reading your opening post, it occurs to me you have been very unlucky. Did you lose 6 roles through 6 lots of redundancy? "

Yep, one job lasted a solitary day. As a plastic extusionist for the production of McDonalds hot drinks lids. 6 seperate jobs, 2 whole days off between them all. I was unlucky, but lucky enough to be employable.

Teesside

I now remember why I avoided this section for months

I'll keep getting on with my life, you can keep judging me for being "selfish" if it makes you happy.

» Add a new message to this topic