FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Vitamin D?

Vitamin D?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Bit of a throw back. But I remember right at the start there were comments around that a vit d boost would help ward off the lurgie or help with any symptoms... Anyone know if there was any truth in it... Now we are a few years on?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"Bit of a throw back. But I remember right at the start there were comments around that a vit d boost would help ward off the lurgie or help with any symptoms... Anyone know if there was any truth in it... Now we are a few years on? "

Yes medical experts believe vitamin d has some very important benefits, in fact a vitamin d screening test was developed to run alongside other immunology screens and it predates COVID quite a bit

By *andykevin53Man  over a year ago

Grays

Yes it’s totally true Zinc, magnesium, Vit d and vit C for extra natural immune support

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Bit of a throw back. But I remember right at the start there were comments around that a vit d boost would help ward off the lurgie or help with any symptoms... Anyone know if there was any truth in it... Now we are a few years on? "

Yes it's true, just not the "guaranteed prevention" that some were suggesting. Ultimately, it is well worth getting the suggested quantity of all the vitamins.

Cal

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes there's now lots of scientific papers out there with very strong evidence to support the links between low vitamin D levels and more serious outcomes from Covid. In a nutshell, if levels are normal there's not much risk for otherwise healthy people. The risk increases significantly the more deficient a person is

By *ap AdgeMan  over a year ago

Chester

Yes its a steroid hormone rather than a vitamin get out in the Sunshine full body exposure but dont Burn

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

"Yes its a steroid hormone rather than a vitamin get out in the Sunshine full body exposure but dont Burn "

Worth noting that in England it’s very hard to get vitamin D from the sun. The sun is only strong enough for 2-3 months out of the year, and even then you’d need to be out sunbathing naked in the mid day sun to get anything.

Take a vitamin D supplement. 10,000 UI a day

Problem is its UV your skin needs to synthesise it so all the factor 50 suncreams prevent most of it .. however I'd imagine you don't need a lot of exposure. 30 minute walk every day rather than a day of naked sunbathing a week kinda thing ?

It's also been found that many stomach acid treatments significantly alleviate covid symptoms and studies also revealed it helped prevent infection. Stuff like pepcid / peptac with famotidine. Something to do with inflammatory response.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"Yes its a steroid hormone rather than a vitamin get out in the Sunshine full body exposure but dont Burn

Worth noting that in England it’s very hard to get vitamin D from the sun. The sun is only strong enough for 2-3 months out of the year, and even then you’d need to be out sunbathing naked in the mid day sun to get anything.

Take a vitamin D supplement. 10,000 UI a day "

10000 UI is way too much. Taking that sort of level long term is not sensible and likely to cause ill effects.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

"Yes its a steroid hormone rather than a vitamin get out in the Sunshine full body exposure but dont Burn

10000 UI is way too much. Taking that sort of level long term is not sensible and likely to cause ill effects. "

It’s not, that’s why it’s possible to buy 10,000IU caps in the uk

By *ay40Man  over a year ago

Kinross

I am prescribed Accrete D3 tablets, Colecalciferol 400IU

One tablet 3 times per day with meals.

Tin town

Thanks all, appreciate the thoughts. My thought process is this... I'm not excited about the prospect of next winter so kind of thinking what can I do now to help my "immunity". Vit D was something that was kicked around a few years ago and then seemed to drop off the messaging.

A further question if I may... If it is boosted to a better level... How long does it remain effective in the system or because of our northern latitude does one need to continue supplementation ad infinitum? (I appreciate everyone's biology is different so generalisations here).

By *erbycouple7Couple  over a year ago

derby

As said above vit d, vit c and zinc are so powerful for immune function although if taking zinc u should take copper supplements to and on the plus side all 3 sups help sexually massively

By *eversayNeverCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

Dr John Campbell on UTube has some very interesting videos on Covid and Vit D.

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"Dr John Campbell on UTube has some very interesting videos on Covid and Vit D. "

That'll be Dr John Campbell who's spouted some total tosh over the last couple of years, or is there another one?

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

[Removed by poster at 03/07/22 10:03:37]

Tin town

"Dr John Campbell on UTube has some very interesting videos on Covid and Vit D.

That'll be Dr John Campbell who's spouted some total tosh over the last couple of years, or is there another one? "

I don't think, at least I hope it doesn't need to get controversial.

By *dd_soxMan  over a year ago

Suffolk

"As said above vit d, vit c and zinc are so powerful for immune function although if taking zinc u should take copper supplements to and on the plus side all 3 sups help sexually massively "

Adding that statement to my profile...

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

10000 UI is way too much. Taking that sort of level long term is not sensible and likely to cause ill effects.

It’s not, that’s why it’s possible to buy 10,000IU caps in the uk "

10,000IU for someone in good to reasonable health with no vit D deficiencies is a huge daily dose. Those kind of amounts are to boost your system for a short period, 1000IU is more than adequate.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Whilst vitamin D and other vitamins are very useful so are herbs it's how medicine was started turmeric powder is a very useful herbs used in operating theatres decades ago it's an anti-inflammatory and also helps to filter the bodily functions and repair

By *i_guy_sloughMan  over a year ago

Langley

My doctor recommended vitamin D years ago and said everyone in the country should be taking vitamin D as we rarely get sufficient from the sun in the uk.

Due to my skin tone vit d is really important as I do not absorb it through sunlight as there isn't enough through the autumn and winter.

as for covid they say there is little evidence as of yet to say if it is effective.

but interesting question.

Reading

"Whilst vitamin D and other vitamins are very useful so are herbs it's how medicine was started turmeric powder is a very useful herbs used in operating theatres decades ago it's an anti-inflammatory and also helps to filter the bodily functions and repair "

Yep, I believe turmeric is still used for medicinal purposes in a lot of Asian countries. Only downside is yellow fingers

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

Bury a slice of bacon in your garden to ward of evil spirits.

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Yes, there's compelling evidence that lack of Vit. D weakens the immune system. At our latitude in the UK, Vit. D supplements in Winter are a good idea.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"Whilst vitamin D and other vitamins are very useful so are herbs it's how medicine was started turmeric powder is a very useful herbs used in operating theatres decades ago it's an anti-inflammatory and also helps to filter the bodily functions and repair

Yep, I believe turmeric is still used for medicinal purposes in a lot of Asian countries. Only downside is yellow fingers "

You only get yellow fingers because it has additives to preserve if home grown it's pure and doesn't do that otherwise use a spoon

Tin town

"Bury a slice of bacon in your garden to ward of evil spirits."

Does that improve my 5g reception too?

By *ndiiiMan  over a year ago

Paisley Scotland

I started taking vitimin D just beford covid hit. Never caught it. Ran out and it took me 10 days to get more....guess what.....got covid... coincidence???? Who knows

all around

As always, anyone considering taking supplements should speak their GP and ignore advice from social media

all around

"I started taking vitimin D just beford covid hit. Never caught it. Ran out and it took me 10 days to get more....guess what.....got covid... coincidence???? Who knows"

Absolutely coincidence, it doesn't work like the contraceptive pill

Take vitamin d everyday and never contracted covid, but felt under the weather Friday so did a test and yep positive. Feeling fine tho just hot flush now and again tg

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

You can take Vit D supplements but I'm not a fan of other supplements when a balanced diet is always best.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Problem is its UV your skin needs to synthesise it so all the factor 50 suncreams prevent most of it .. however I'd imagine you don't need a lot of exposure. 30 minute walk every day rather than a day of naked sunbathing a week kinda thing ?

It's also been found that many stomach acid treatments significantly alleviate covid symptoms and studies also revealed it helped prevent infection. Stuff like pepcid / peptac with famotidine. Something to do with inflammatory response. "

That's not actually true, here is a snippet from a study into the matter.

"White-skinned people in the UK (and similar latitudes) are able to meet vitamin D requirements (defined as remaining at or above 25 nmol/L 25(OH)D throughout winter) by spending nine minutes outdoors at lunchtime from March to September or for nine to 13 min, dependent on South-North geographical location, June–August, in season-appropriate clothing." (Source National Library of Medicine -https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946282/)

This shows that for some, as little a nine minutes per day for three months could be enough exposure

By *mooth tongue 4uMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

I regularly take vit.c , vit.d, zinc ,

Had my two jags, booster & flu jag

I’ve never knowingly had covid

Some thing works

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Generally advisable. Can't hurt (unless you OD).

It’s not, that’s why it’s possible to buy 10,000IU caps in the uk "

10,000iu is the absolute maximum recommended intake, so much less would be fine. Excessive vitamin d intake can cause problems

By *he FAB Social - MCRCouple (FF)  over a year ago

manchester

It’s not, that’s why it’s possible to buy 10,000IU caps in the uk

10,000iu is the absolute maximum recommended intake, so much less would be fine. Excessive vitamin d intake can cause problems "

I’m deficient in Vit D and take 2 x 1000IU each day. Took about a month to notice any difference but GP says I’m still borderline. In the warmer weather I’m out every day but doesn’t seem to make much of a difference

Pixie

By *TDHGentMan  over a year ago

Worcs

Damn right it is! It's essential for your immunity! Mother has covid and I gave her 10,000 IU pills telling her to take two a day!

Don't assume big pharma is your friend it isn't a warm loving charity!

Durham

"Bit of a throw back. But I remember right at the start there were comments around that a vit d boost would help ward off the lurgie or help with any symptoms... Anyone know if there was any truth in it... Now we are a few years on?

Damn right it is! It's essential for your immunity! Mother has covid and I gave her 10,000 IU pills telling her to take two a day!

Don't assume big pharma is your friend it isn't a warm loving charity! "

20000 IU a day is way too much. In the short term won't much harm as your body will just rid of the excess and it will be a waste of money. Long term doses of this strength will cause illness. By all means take a vitamin D tablet but suggesting this strength is stupid and dangerous.

all around

"

Don't assume big pharma is your friend it isn't a warm loving charity! "

I wonder who makes vit d tablets ...

Manchester (she/her)

"

I wonder who makes vit d tablets ... "

Big supplement is entirely different because reasons...

merseyside

"

I wonder who makes vit d tablets ... "

Some gaff in India.

It's not big phara it's even bigger big health supplements.

And big farms grow fruit and veg for that big balanced diet so most of the time you don't need supplements.

Vitamin D is something to do with hormones too, also it helps with any fatigue you might have that comes with Covid, and anyone north of Manchester or Birmingham would benefit from extra Vitamin D as we don’t get enough of the suns rays this far north.

"

Some gaff in India.

And big farms grow fruit and veg for that big balanced diet so most of the time you don't need supplements. "

That right? Then how is it that Vitamin D is converted by our bodies from the suns rays and doesn’t come from what we eat?

merseyside

"

Some gaff in India.

And big farms grow fruit and veg for that big balanced diet so most of the time you don't need supplements.

That right? Then how is it that Vitamin D is converted by our bodies from the suns rays and doesn’t come from what we eat? "

Very true, that's why my post says most of the time.

When you live at our latitude its a very good idea for everyone to take a vitamin d supplement.

"When you live at our latitude its a very good idea for everyone to take a vitamin d supplement."

I’m on them for life as I have a deficiency and (I didn’t know this at the time) but once the level is brought up with Vitamin D capsules with a deficiency the level will just drop again

Durham

"

Some gaff in India.

That right? Then how is it that Vitamin D is converted by our bodies from the suns rays and doesn’t come from what we eat? "

You can get vitamin d in what you eat. It's not as many foods as most vitamins. But oily fish,liver ,red meat, cereals, eggs, cheese mushrooms and cereals all contain vitamin D. Most people who eat a good varied diet shouldn't need any supplements.

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

Can’t beat a bit of sunshine

By *mynclMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

I just had a delivery for 6 months supply for £3 + delivery. 5000iu going to start taking them today, they do help a lot, these tablets are tiny also in case you don’t like swallowing big ones lol

"Can’t beat a bit of sunshine "

Yip, that the problem we have, not enough sunshine, especially in the winter. Vit D is one of the most complicated vitamins as it acts more like a hormone.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

https://news.sky.com/story/vitamin-d-overdose-warning-after-man-admitted-to-hospital-for-excessive-intake-12646798

Do not screw around with mega doses of vitamins. If I remember correctly this was also the cause of death for one of the men on Scott's Antarctica expedition in 1910. Food was getting low, the man was injured and exhausted more than most. The team killed a dog for food, and gave the liver to the injured man because it would be high in protein and vitamins. Unfortunately dog liver contains a huge level of vitamin D, and the result was the man dying of vitamin D poisoning.

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

No one has mentioned leeches yet…. Bit disappointed!!

Reading

"No one has mentioned leeches yet…. Bit disappointed!! "

" Never had anything you doctors didn’t try to cure with leeches. A

leech on my ear for ear ache, a leech on my bottom for constipation."

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

"No one has mentioned leeches yet…. Bit disappointed!!

leech on my ear for ear ache, a leech on my bottom for constipation." "

And now Im happy!!! Happy as a leech in a bucket of constipated bottoms….

merseyside

"https://news.sky.com/story/vitamin-d-overdose-warning-after-man-admitted-to-hospital-for-excessive-intake-12646798

Do not screw around with mega doses of vitamins. If I remember correctly this was also the cause of death for one of the men on Scott's Antarctica expedition in 1910. Food was getting low, the man was injured and exhausted more than most. The team killed a dog for food, and gave the liver to the injured man because it would be high in protein and vitamins. Unfortunately dog liver contains a huge level of vitamin D, and the result was the man dying of vitamin D poisoning."

Very true.

Seems Toby Carvery have kept grilled dead dog off the Sunday roast for just this reason.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

"Bit of a throw back. But I remember right at the start there were comments around that a vit d boost would help ward off the lurgie or help with any symptoms... Anyone know if there was any truth in it... Now we are a few years on?

20000 IU a day is way too much. In the short term won't much harm as your body will just rid of the excess and it will be a waste of money. Long term doses of this strength will cause illness. By all means take a vitamin D tablet but suggesting this strength is stupid and dangerous."

Bloody hell that's way too high , I've got a vit d deficiency and I'm only on 50,000iu once a week and then otc strength when I finish these for the rest of my days.

Tg

That'll be Dr John Campbell who's spouted some total tosh over the last couple of years, or is there another one? "

Dr….who discusses only things from peer reviewed journals and posts links to all sources. I have a tendency to follow accurate science. Vitamin D intake at sensible levels is very important for a variety of systems to function correctly.

Manchester (she/her)

That'll be Dr John Campbell who's spouted some total tosh over the last couple of years, or is there another one?

Dr….who discusses only things from peer reviewed journals and posts links to all sources. I have a tendency to follow accurate science. Vitamin D intake at sensible levels is very important for a variety of systems to function correctly. "

PhD in nurse education.

Maybe he's a doctor like Mary Beard is?

By *aiseiMan  over a year ago

Longbridge, Birmingham

"No one has mentioned leeches yet…. Bit disappointed!!

leech on my ear for ear ache, a leech on my bottom for constipation." "

“Rather a quack than a duckie……good day!”

all around

Dr….who discusses only things from peer reviewed journals and posts links to all sources. I have a tendency to follow accurate science. Vitamin D intake at sensible levels is very important for a variety of systems to function correctly.

PhD in nurse education.

Maybe he's a doctor like Mary Beard is?"

Worth remembering Ian Paisley was a Dr lol

Tin town

PhD in nurse education.

Worth remembering Ian Paisley was a Dr lol"

Was An expert in vitamin D apparently?

all around

PhD in nurse education.

Was An expert in vitamin D apparently? "

Was probably a member here too

By *herryblossom_BJWoman  over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

I still got covid and i take regular vitamin D supplements but the symptoms were mild but was testing positive for 10 days which was annoying

"I just had a delivery for 6 months supply for £3 + delivery. 5000iu going to start taking them today, they do help a lot, these tablets are tiny also in case you don’t like swallowing big ones lol"

Be careful with such a large dose as too much your body can’t get rid of it and it will damage your kidneys, cause renal failure. You’re safer taking a lower dose. I take 800iu daily

"I still got covid and i take regular vitamin D supplements but the symptoms were mild but was testing positive for 10 days which was annoying "

I’m sure you didn’t mean it but it sounds like you took vitamin D to stop you getting Covid

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

"I just had a delivery for 6 months supply for £3 + delivery. 5000iu going to start taking them today, they do help a lot, these tablets are tiny also in case you don’t like swallowing big ones lol

Be careful with such a large dose as too much your body can’t get rid of it and it will damage your kidneys, cause renal failure. You’re safer taking a lower dose. I take 800iu daily"

Hypervitaminosis with vitamin D can be a problem

There was a case recently of a elderly man who had been recommended to take high doses of D by a quack and he became gravely ill with some permanent organ damage.

Whilst many citizens of northern latitudes have D levels that are too low, a regime of little and often is preferable to very high doses that the body has difficulty in clearing.

Frankly, we spend too much time indoors nowadays compared to our ancestors who got most of what they needed from sunlight.

Oily fish is also a good source of D, especially in winter.

Manchester (she/her)

PhD in nurse education.

Was An expert in vitamin D apparently?

Was probably a member here too "

I'd die if Mary Beard was a member here. Major nerdgasm

I take vitamin D, zinc, C and a strong multivitamin everyday

Manchester (she/her)

"I take vitamin D, zinc, C and a strong multivitamin everyday "

Yeah, I take a bunch of stuff too - although not because I believe it has any bearing on Covid. I think I read that early correlation with vitamin D couldn't be distinguished from socioeconomic status.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

A recent uk review of 309,000 people -

We found no evidence of an association between historical vitamin D status and hospitalisation or mortality due to COVID-19, along with inconsistent results for any association between vitamin D and diagnosis of COVID-19. However, studies using more recent vitamin D measurements and systematic COVID-19 testing are needed.

Lin et al, 2022.

By *tarkersandcrutchCouple  over a year ago

TELFORD

I had covid at the start of it all and now i have to take vit D forever as ive got a very low deficiency. Its stopped the tiredness and exhaustion, beain fog and feel generally better fir taking it so im guessing its beneficial.

Shaz xx

All of these also help to support testosterone in older men !

» Add a new message to this topic