FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Pneumonia

Pneumonia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ekkatrans OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Scarborough

After my wife suddenly died from Bronchial Pneumonia I was surprised to find out there was a vaccine to safeguard against it. My wife had a compromised immune system and her GP practise would happily prescribe pills for her CFS/ ME but never once suggested the Pneumonia vaccine. Do I feel aggrieved ? Yes. Do I feel cheated by the health system? Again Yes. To them she was an NHS number but to me she was my everything.

I told them what I thought and was told she could have had the vaccine.

Sorry for the rant

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

Rant away, it is awful what has happened to you and to your wife.

I know it won't mean much but you have my sympathies and my condolences.

By *lite FoxMan  over a year ago

Midlands

So sorry to hear.

Extremely sad when your wife's passing could've easily have been prevented

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Rant away. My mother died of pneumonia, bacterial, so no vaccine would have helped her. Do and say what you feel helps you.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm so sorry for your loss.

By *ayswa78928Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Sorry to hear this

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Very sorry for your sad loss.

Always feel free to rant and vent away.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

So sorry to hear this sad news

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"

After my wife suddenly died from Bronchial Pneumonia I was surprised to find out there was a vaccine to safeguard against it. My wife had a compromised immune system and her GP practise would happily prescribe pills for her CFS/ ME but never once suggested the Pneumonia vaccine. Do I feel aggrieved ? Yes. Do I feel cheated by the health system? Again Yes. To them she was an NHS number but to me she was my everything.

Sorry for the rant

"

I'm really sorry to hear that it's terribly terribly sad. Be angry.

Sadly not an unusual outcome.

By *Marvel-Man  over a year ago

In The Gym

"

Sorry for the rant

"

Sorry to hear about what happened to your wife and the failings of the NHS.

You are right in thinking there's a pneumonia vaccine.

There's actually 2 vaccines called PCV and PVV. The NHS only offers the vaccine if you at specific risk (your wife would have been a candidate (PCV & PPV)), over the age of 65 (PVV) and for routine baby vaccinations (PCV). Furthermore the 2 different vaccines don't offer the same amount of protection. PCV is 13 strains and PVV is 23 strains. Additionally if you have the PVV vaccine first you can't have the PCV vaccine. Hence why the PVC is given to babies routinely.

Both these vaccines are available privately at any age. If the PCV is administered first you have to wait a year for the PVV vaccine. The PCV is also more expensive.

Unfortunately as someone's already mentioned it's only a prevention for bacterial pneumonia. So people will still be at risk of viral, mycoplasma and fungal pneumonia. (However, some companies may have on going vaccine trials for these in different phases.)

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Gosh how awful, I'm not surprised you're angry, anyone would be.

By *aughtywifeandhimCouple  over a year ago

luton

Yes it is awful and if you want the vaccine you have to pay for it , same vaccine for shingles if you want it they charging £160+

By *lasgowA1Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I’m so sorry for your recent loss although I understand it will mean very little to you.

By *Marvel-Man  over a year ago

In The Gym

"Yes it is awful and if you want the vaccine you have to pay for it , same vaccine for shingles if you want it they charging £160+"

For private vaccination the shingles vaccine is very expensive. However, the NHS has just reduced the vaccination age to 70-79 from 75-79 and are currently doing a mass vaccination roll out on a first come first served basis.

Buying it privately the age differs and so can the price massively depending on where you go.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

my GP practice has asked me to go in for a pneumonia vaccine next week, never had one before so presume its a new thing that is being rolled out

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"my GP practice has asked me to go in for a pneumonia vaccine next week, never had one before so presume its a new thing that is being rolled out "

It's not new. It might be due to your age (sorry!) or existence of a health condition that qualifies you.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"my GP practice has asked me to go in for a pneumonia vaccine next week, never had one before so presume its a new thing that is being rolled out

It's not new. It might be due to your age (sorry!) or existence of a health condition that qualifies you. "

In the last month my gp surgery has text and offered me pneumonia, flu and autumn booster covid (twice). What I'd really like to be offered though is a magic jab to help me lose the extra 2 stone I'm carrying around!

I think it's good they are being proactive.

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

"my GP practice has asked me to go in for a pneumonia vaccine next week, never had one before so presume its a new thing that is being rolled out "

Pneumonia vaccines have been given to over 65s and people classed as at risk for many years.

It is for most people a one off vaccine but if you have certain health conditions it is given every 5 years.

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

I've had the pneumonia vaccine since I had chemo and RT.

By *OXO2018Couple  over a year ago

Norfolk

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I had pneumonia last year (was 1st treated for a chest infection because they wouldn’t see me) and was told I will vulnerable to it, yet they won’t give me the vaccine.

By *otsMan  over a year ago

Higham

Been there done that....

Yes, there is I asked for a booster they won't give it I don't think till 65.

Had one shot.

» Add a new message to this topic