FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Monkey pox Virus vaccine

Monkey pox Virus vaccine

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Heard on the radio they are running out of the monkeypox vaccine, less than 5,000 shots left.

Didn’t even know it was a thing, I don’t know of my one who’s been offered it

What’s goin’ on ‘ere guys?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Same here. I didnt know it was a thing either

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Aren't they using the smallpox vaccine as it provides some benefits protecting against monkeypox?

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Aren't they using the smallpox vaccine as it provides some benefits protecting against monkeypox?

"

Don’t know?

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

In America the CDC is allowing each regular vaccine dose to be divided into 5 doses to allow for the take up amongst gay and bi men.

Tin town

"In America the CDC is allowing each regular vaccine dose to be divided into 5 doses to allow for the take up amongst gay and bi men."

There's a bit more about it on the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62425720

By *lascumMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Had mine the other day. It’s derived from the smallpox vaccine but does not contain smallpox. Apart from an ache in the arm where I got it no symptoms. And it goes under the skin not intramuscular. I got offered the last of the stock they had so as usual there’s very few pricks I decline

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Don’t go bumming

Simples

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

No need to worry, there wasn't more than 2800 cases in the whole of the UK back at the start of August. Don't fall for the pointless fear mongering.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"No need to worry, there wasn't more than 2800 cases in the whole of the UK back at the start of August. Don't fall for the pointless fear mongering."

Probably less than 2 cases in August the previous year…. at that rate of increase it could be 28 million by next August…. However it’s only a possibility not a prediction, for now I can leave that worry to healthcare professionals.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Some folk really are brainwashed unquestioning automatons.

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

I decided to get the vaccine when they said supplies were limited. I must admit it does show how unprepared we are should we be attacked with the actual Smallpox virus. I dare say the vaccine would be impossible to get should that be the case.

By *uttonslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Sutton

As a healthcare professional here’s some info you might find useful:

1) smallpox vaccine is being offered to those highest at risk of monkeypox. It offers a high level of protection but not full immunity. It will however limit the horrific symptoms of monkeypox. Horrific is an understatement.

2) the vaccine is low in supply because until the outbreak, there was no demand for it in the UK or indeed the western world. As a result, the full dose is now being split into 1/5th and instead of being given subcutaneously (under the skin but not in muscle) it is being given transdermally (into the skin layers). The 1/5th dose is comparable to a full dose.

3) The highest at risk are MSMs, Bi, sex workers, especially immunocompromised people in these groups, and anyone coming into skin-to-skin contact with these communities where the monkeypox cases have disproportionately affected. It is not the mode of sex that makes these communities highest at risk, it is just that it first broke out here and given the less monogamous relationships within these communities, it has spread quite rapidly within them. That does mean anyone is at risk of it, it is merely skin contact and to some extent body fluid to mucus membrane (including breath). This is not a gay virus. It has simply spread in this community for the reasons given above.

4) Unlike Covid, this has a 3-week infectious period so increases the risk of transmission.

5) You are unlikely to be eligible for the monkeypox vaccine unless you’re in an at-risk group. That could be many of you if you have non-monogamous sexual partners with anyone in these groups or sexual partners of people within these groups.

6) It will not spread like Covid, transmission risk is low given that it is most skin-to-skin contact.

7) There is no scare mongering happening by Dept of Health Security Agency. It is about containment of a horrific virus that’s broken out in the UK, where it is not normally present. DHSA are merely offering vaccines to those who are highest at risk for now. If it’s not contained, I’m sure the vaccine will be offered to next risk tiers. It is also an offering rather than a pseudo obligation.

8) Having treated many patients infected with monkeypox (granted I’m seeing hospitalised cases so the worst) I can confirm the symptoms are nasty and excruciatingly painful, affect nerves, broken skin, horrible sores that in some cases look nauseating to see. It will cause many sleepless nights if infected during the most painful periods. Many patients have much milder symptoms with just raised bumps that are sore and itchy but not anywhere near as bad as some others get.

9) The choice to have the vaccine is your own. It does not guarantee you’ll not get infected but it does offer protection against it and also limits the symptoms once you have it.

10) It is not something to fear, just to be aware of especially if you’re particularly active sexually in the communities listed above.

Tin town

"As a healthcare professional here’s some info you might find useful:

1) smallpox vaccine is being offered to those highest at risk of monkeypox. It offers a high level of protection but not full immunity. It will however limit the horrific symptoms of monkeypox. Horrific is an understatement.

2) the vaccine is low in supply because until the outbreak, there was no demand for it in the UK or indeed the western world. As a result, the full dose is now being split into 1/5th and instead of being given subcutaneously (under the skin but not in muscle) it is being given transdermally (into the skin layers). The 1/5th dose is comparable to a full dose.

3) The highest at risk are MSMs, Bi, sex workers, especially immunocompromised people in these groups, and anyone coming into skin-to-skin contact with these communities where the monkeypox cases have disproportionately affected. It is not the mode of sex that makes these communities highest at risk, it is just that it first broke out here and given the less monogamous relationships within these communities, it has spread quite rapidly within them. That does mean anyone is at risk of it, it is merely skin contact and to some extent body fluid to mucus membrane (including breath). This is not a gay virus. It has simply spread in this community for the reasons given above.

4) Unlike Covid, this has a 3-week infectious period so increases the risk of transmission.

5) You are unlikely to be eligible for the monkeypox vaccine unless you’re in an at-risk group. That could be many of you if you have non-monogamous sexual partners with anyone in these groups or sexual partners of people within these groups.

6) It will not spread like Covid, transmission risk is low given that it is most skin-to-skin contact.

7) There is no scare mongering happening by Dept of Health Security Agency. It is about containment of a horrific virus that’s broken out in the UK, where it is not normally present. DHSA are merely offering vaccines to those who are highest at risk for now. If it’s not contained, I’m sure the vaccine will be offered to next risk tiers. It is also an offering rather than a pseudo obligation.

8) Having treated many patients infected with monkeypox (granted I’m seeing hospitalised cases so the worst) I can confirm the symptoms are nasty and excruciatingly painful, affect nerves, broken skin, horrible sores that in some cases look nauseating to see. It will cause many sleepless nights if infected during the most painful periods. Many patients have much milder symptoms with just raised bumps that are sore and itchy but not anywhere near as bad as some others get.

9) The choice to have the vaccine is your own. It does not guarantee you’ll not get infected but it does offer protection against it and also limits the symptoms once you have it.

10) It is not something to fear, just to be aware of especially if you’re particularly active sexually in the communities listed above. "

Seems sensible.

» Add a new message to this topic