FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Masks on public transport and planes

Masks on public transport and planes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Is it still a thing. ?

.I'm off to Sicily and have been told I will need ffp2 masks for certain situations there... but not for the flight.. ( although I'll probably wear one on that anyway)

I've checked online and for Italy it seems yes I need them for public transport but what about the airports etc??

I am tempted to just wear one all the time travelling ( yes I have spares to change)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *usie pTV/TS  over a year ago

taunton

I think that may be very sensible, its not likely to do harm and may just prevent you getting poorly.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

They are very hot on it here in Spain.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have recently spent time in Spain and Cyprus. No masks on any of the flights or anywhere i went in either country.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'd go for wearing one at all times unless you're comfortable not to.

"I'd go for wearing one at all times unless you're comfortable not to. "
I think for the travel I will. I'm happy not to in public spaces as long as not enclosed..

I don't however where one here now unless at work, or shopping ( don't normally do public transport)

By *averockrockMan  over a year ago

swindon

"I'd go for wearing one at all times unless you're comfortable not to. I think for the travel I will. I'm happy not to in public spaces as long as not enclosed..

I don't however where one here now unless at work, or shopping ( don't normally do public transport)"

On flights you are not forced to wear a mask, not even at the airports. On train and bus services the face mask is mandatory. If you don’t have ffp2 don’t worry, it will be fine the normal one. Basically they only want a face mask on..when there you’ll see what I mean!

Enjoy your time there!

By *elloIntrigueMan  over a year ago

North West UK

Just back from Northern Italy and we were asked to wear masks on any public transport and for the transfers from and to the airport. People that served in shops were wearing them but not customers.

Thanks all. I have some ffp2 ones ready x

By *ooking4othersMan  over a year ago

Here ...

I have been to a lot of countries this year, including the USA and Mexico, and very few people are wearing masks anywhere.

Also, I think I was only asked about my covid status once on all my trips.

If you are more comfortable wearing one then you won't be the only one doing so in most places but definitely in the minority these days.

Enjoy your trip !

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

stockport

Just come back from Seville and hardly anyone wears face masks apart from bus and taxi drivers.No restrictions in the airport either.Best just sticking a face mask in your pocket though.

By *ent1Man  over a year ago

Ashford

You do know they won't prevent you from getting covid?

By *meatonCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth

Depends on country and airline.

I fly most months with work. Just flown with Air France, no masks. Flew last month with Turkish, no masks and Lufthansa had to wear a mask. Check your airline and travel info for destination.

"You do know they won't prevent you from getting covid?"
it helps reduce my chances along with social distancing, good hygiene. It certainly doesn't hurt me.

By *lan4FFUUNNMan  over a year ago

Genoa Italy and Liverpool

Yes, ffp2 masks are still required in Italy on public transport.

By *ay40Man  over a year ago

Kinross

Just back from USA where they truly believe in herd immunity

Had a usa connection flight and as soon as the plane was emptied we were loaded on, no cleaning of seats, trays or anything

I travelled 9 states and 3300 miles, witnessed very few masks and very little interest in safety precautions

"Yes, ffp2 masks are still required in Italy on public transport. "
Think I was one of only 5 wearing them on the train today...

I have a cold ( came on when I got here) so wearing a mask so I don't spread my germs ... if at home I'd just stay in

Im just back after 8 days in italy. I didnt need or wear a mask anywhere. Only a handful wore one on the plane, none in taxis or the bus and a good few wore on the train. i took public transport a lot as i travlled from lake garda to venice and milan and got the ferry a few times also. It says its the law to wear on public transport but no one not even when my tickets were checked was i told to put one on.

"Im just back after 8 days in italy. I didnt need or wear a mask anywhere. Only a handful wore one on the plane, none in taxis or the bus and a good few wore on the train. i took public transport a lot as i travlled from lake garda to venice and milan and got the ferry a few times also. It says its the law to wear on public transport but no one not even when my tickets were checked was i told to put one on."
yeah even the ticket inspector wasn't wearing one on my train from Catania to toarmina xx I still wore mine to keep my pesky British cold to myself x

OP, sensible to wear all of the time in confidned spaces ffp3 from screfix but often big so needs to fit well - called p3 i think and realtivel cheap i use them.

taunton

I had a very nasty response from a guy who read these comments we have made on this thread, does not bother me but takes all sorts.

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

It is very much personal choice these days, but I do sometimes ask what is the point ….

I was recently on a flight from Cyprus, and there 2 people in front of me. They boarded wearing masks … then I noticed they were wearing the mask only covering their mouth, then I saw them with them pulled down on their chin for a lot of the fight , and only occasionally fully wearing them. It didn’t make sense.

R x

By *rSshMan  over a year ago

Poundbury

Seriously, people are still paranoid about masks. You have been jabbed, right?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Seriously, people are still paranoid about masks. You have been jabbed, right? "

I'm not sure that people who want to retain their health and to protect others is paranoid.

Like many things in life, including Fab, the compound benefits of multiple investments, the gestalt, is greater than just reliance on a single thing. Evidence from mask use shows protection for others. Vaccines should instil immunity that the body develops but each individual will be different, with some, including older people, having poorer immune systems.

A multi-pronged approach is sensible. This, especially, when seasonal weather makes infection spreading more likely. Some tactics will help with flu prevention, which could also be an issue this winter.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"Is it still a thing. ?

.I'm off to Sicily and have been told I will need ffp2 masks for certain situations there... but not for the flight.. ( although I'll probably wear one on that anyway)

I've checked online and for Italy it seems yes I need them for public transport but what about the airports etc??

I am tempted to just wear one all the time travelling ( yes I have spares to change)

"

I went to Cannes and did not wear a mask there and caught covid though throughout I kept testing negative. I woke up the day if the flight after a bad night sleep and felt ill tested negative but I decided to wear a mask and frequently sanitised my handsjust in case and was glad I did. I only hope itbwas enough

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I have one place I deliver too 5 days a week has a mask rule so I put it on so the delivery and take it off again the rest of my sites don’t require them so I don’t wear it

Their place their rules no problem here

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Seriously, people are still paranoid about masks. You have been jabbed, right? "

I mask. If people want to call that paranoid, then that's on them.

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"Seriously, people are still paranoid about masks. You have been jabbed, right?

I mask. If people want to call that paranoid, then that's on them."

Jabbed or not you can still catch a d after having a mild dose of it last July I really do t want it again nor give it to anyone.

I don't wear a mask every day but I do not begrudge any that do.

If I have a cold I will wesramask so I don't give it to others nowadays it dosnt hurt to have a little consideration

By *omDateMan  over a year ago

Newton Abbot

I'm not sure that people who want to retain their health and to protect others is paranoid.

Like many things in life, including Fab, the compound benefits of multiple investments, the gestalt, is greater than just reliance on a single thing. Evidence from mask use shows protection for others. Vaccines should instil immunity that the body develops but each individual will be different, with some, including older people, having poorer immune systems.

A multi-pronged approach is sensible. This, especially, when seasonal weather makes infection spreading more likely. Some tactics will help with flu prevention, which could also be an issue this winter. "

Evidence from mask use shows protection for others? No. Not in unbiased and truly scientific studies it doesn't. A mask needs to have the proper filtration level, be properly fitting AND be put on/off properly.

A home made mask is a facial decoration.

A surgical mask is a virtue signal.

A ffp1 mask is for dust, pollen and most bacteria.

A ffp2 is for larger viruses and all bacteria.

A ffp3 mask is the MINIMUM level of filtration (if properly fitted and put on/taken off correctly).

But then, it doesn't matter a jot the filtration level of whatever you wear if you reuse it, don't clean it or use a saturated mask... to me that is very much like turning the condom you have just used inside out and going in again.

Manchester (she/her)

I mask. If people want to call that paranoid, then that's on them.

Jabbed or not you can still catch a d after having a mild dose of it last July I really do t want it again nor give it to anyone.

I don't wear a mask every day but I do not begrudge any that do.

If I have a cold I will wesramask so I don't give it to others nowadays it dosnt hurt to have a little consideration "

Sure.

Whatever one's reason for masking, it's personal. The idea that words can be thrown at it like paranoid, mentally ill, Covid obsessed... It's a bit like someone calling me a woke snowflake libtard. Ok those are words, but really, you're telling me more about yourself than you think you're saying about me. It's identifying yourself as a member of a tribe by throwing out insults, and frankly I thought we got over this in primary school. If people don't like masks, don't look.

Manchester (she/her)

A multi-pronged approach is sensible. This, especially, when seasonal weather makes infection spreading more likely. Some tactics will help with flu prevention, which could also be an issue this winter.

Evidence from mask use shows protection for others? No. Not in unbiased and truly scientific studies it doesn't. A mask needs to have the proper filtration level, be properly fitting AND be put on/off properly.

A ffp3 mask is the MINIMUM level of filtration (if properly fitted and put on/taken off correctly).

But then, it doesn't matter a jot the filtration level of whatever you wear if you reuse it, don't clean it or use a saturated mask... to me that is very much like turning the condom you have just used inside out and going in again."

I'm sure people will consider the scientific reputation of the Fab forums as part of judging your academic contribution. And otherwise, as we've seen recommended so often in this space, do their own research.

Newton Abbot

But then, it doesn't matter a jot the filtration level of whatever you wear if you reuse it, don't clean it or use a saturated mask... to me that is very much like turning the condom you have just used inside out and going in again.

I'm sure people will consider the scientific reputation of the Fab forums as part of judging your academic contribution. And otherwise, as we've seen recommended so often in this space, do their own research."

So your rebuttal is purely 'you posted on a fab forum'

An interesting response. I'm sure if you bring it up with the WHO they will recind my certification just for you.

But then, it doesn't matter a jot the filtration level of whatever you wear if you reuse it, don't clean it or use a saturated mask... to me that is very much like turning the condom you have just used inside out and going in again."

actually there is a lot of research showing that mask wearing is a good way to help prevent transmission. As I said. I ended up with a pesky non covid viral infection while away so i wore one a lot of trip... I've been wearing one back shopping again too recently.

Newton Abbot

But then, it doesn't matter a jot the filtration level of whatever you wear if you reuse it, don't clean it or use a saturated mask... to me that is very much like turning the condom you have just used inside out and going in again. actually there is a lot of research showing that mask wearing is a good way to help prevent transmission. As I said. I ended up with a pesky non covid viral infection while away so i wore one a lot of trip... I've been wearing one back shopping again too recently. "

Not in unbiased or unpaid for studies there isn't.

On the Health and Safety Executive website there is a pandemic planning document, it links a study carried out by HSE in which every single mask available at the time was tested against an influenza virus. In the tests, 100% of surgical masks tested had live virus (quote) in the breathing space (/end quote). Points to take from that are, the flu is bigger than SARS-cov2 (and easier to filter), the masks used were taped to the face of the breath dummies AND human volunteers to give the best seal, a fresh mask was used for every test run.

If you want to read it for yourself, the study is called "evaluating the protection afforded by surgical masks against influenza bioaerosols" and published by the Health and Safety Laboratory.

By *orny andy yorkMan  over a year ago

york

"You do know they won't prevent you from getting covid? it helps reduce my chances along with social distancing, good hygiene. It certainly doesn't hurt me."
it dosnt hurt you but is pointless

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

I was asked to wear a mask on the return flight not on the outbound.

I put one on anyway and always have a clean one packed in travel bag.

I'd always take one with you.

Manchester (she/her)

I'm sure people will consider the scientific reputation of the Fab forums as part of judging your academic contribution. And otherwise, as we've seen recommended so often in this space, do their own research.

So your rebuttal is purely 'you posted on a fab forum'

An interesting response. I'm sure if you bring it up with the WHO they will recind my certification just for you."

Regardless, I'll be masking, having done my own research and come to my own conclusions.

taunton

I will continue to take whatever little precaution I can at the moment, I have not had and don't want it, am rather lucky in as much as I live and work in the countryside so do not have to come into contact with vast amounts of folks, will continue to slip one on when I go into a shop. I don't think in a lot of cases it is quite the mild infection some try to make out, lots of people have it around here at the moment and most are feeling quite unwell somewhat worse than a cold but maybe not quite so bad as man flu, but then approx 50% of the population will never experience that.

But then, it doesn't matter a jot the filtration level of whatever you wear if you reuse it, don't clean it or use a saturated mask... to me that is very much like turning the condom you have just used inside out and going in again. actually there is a lot of research showing that mask wearing is a good way to help prevent transmission. As I said. I ended up with a pesky non covid viral infection while away so i wore one a lot of trip... I've been wearing one back shopping again too recently.

On the Health and Safety Executive website there is a pandemic planning document, it links a study carried out by HSE in which every single mask available at the time was tested against an influenza virus. In the tests, 100% of surgical masks tested had live virus (quote) in the breathing space (/end quote). Points to take from that are, the flu is bigger than SARS-cov2 (and easier to filter), the masks used were taped to the face of the breath dummies AND human volunteers to give the best seal, a fresh mask was used for every test run.

If you want to read it for yourself, the study is called "evaluating the protection afforded by surgical masks against influenza bioaerosols" and published by the Health and Safety Laboratory. "

there are plenty of peer reviewed studies that show how they help reduce.they don't stop but they do seriously reduce the risk of transmission. I read that one among the many I read....

It is so simple that they help I don't understand how anyone has an issue with it.

Simply since I was a toddler I've been told to cover my nose and mouth if I cough or sneeze .... same principle with mask wearing.

york

But then, it doesn't matter a jot the filtration level of whatever you wear if you reuse it, don't clean it or use a saturated mask... to me that is very much like turning the condom you have just used inside out and going in again. actually there is a lot of research showing that mask wearing is a good way to help prevent transmission. As I said. I ended up with a pesky non covid viral infection while away so i wore one a lot of trip... I've been wearing one back shopping again too recently.

If you want to read it for yourself, the study is called "evaluating the protection afforded by surgical masks against influenza bioaerosols" and published by the Health and Safety Laboratory. there are plenty of peer reviewed studies that show how they help reduce.they don't stop but they do seriously reduce the risk of transmission. I read that one among the many I read....

It is so simple that they help I don't understand how anyone has an issue with it.

Simply since I was a toddler I've been told to cover my nose and mouth if I cough or sneeze .... same principle with mask wearing.

"

not same principle at all and for every study saying they make a difference there are two study’s saying they don’t not to mention the 30 years of study’s saying they dont also fuchi witty vallance the who cdc sage have all said at times they make no difference and changed their views to keep in line with this ridiculous plague narrative on covid .

york

"I will continue to take whatever little precaution I can at the moment, I have not had and don't want it, am rather lucky in as much as I live and work in the countryside so do not have to come into contact with vast amounts of folks, will continue to slip one on when I go into a shop. I don't think in a lot of cases it is quite the mild infection some try to make out, lots of people have it around here at the moment and most are feeling quite unwell somewhat worse than a cold but maybe not quite so bad as man flu, but then approx 50% of the population will never experience that.

"

but at some point you will get covid

Newton Abbot

" they don't stop but they do seriously reduce the risk of transmission. I read that one among the many I read....

"

So you read it and dont get that a mask not only needs to have the appropriate filtration level for the particle AND needs to be used properly. The wrong mask used incorrectly is counter productive. A comfort blanket.. where as a correctly fitted and used FFP3 will (if you use it right) WILL stop anything it is rated for.

The reason you were told to cover your mouth and nose when sneezing is to keep the macro particles in one place for easier clean up, it does not and never has stopped micro particles from getting out.

If you want to read it for yourself, the study is called "evaluating the protection afforded by surgical masks against influenza bioaerosols" and published by the Health and Safety Laboratory. there are plenty of peer reviewed studies that show how they help reduce.they don't stop but they do seriously reduce the risk of transmission. I read that one among the many I read....

not same principle at all and for every study saying they make a difference there are two study’s saying they don’t not to mention the 30 years of study’s saying they dont also fuchi witty vallance the who cdc sage have all said at times they make no difference and changed their views to keep in line with this ridiculous plague narrative on covid . "

actually no.. your wrong there...since covid they realised that there was actually very little scientific data about the protection on masks.. and after a few " they don't help apparent science based you tube videos came out..there were quite a lot of studies done.

And it is exactly the same principle as covering your nose and mouth while sneezing. Just on a larger scale.

It doesn't protect completely but even a basic face covering will make a positive difference. Not sure what is so hard to grasp on this

Manchester (she/her)

"I will continue to take whatever little precaution I can at the moment, I have not had and don't want it, am rather lucky in as much as I live and work in the countryside so do not have to come into contact with vast amounts of folks, will continue to slip one on when I go into a shop. I don't think in a lot of cases it is quite the mild infection some try to make out, lots of people have it around here at the moment and most are feeling quite unwell somewhat worse than a cold but maybe not quite so bad as man flu, but then approx 50% of the population will never experience that.

but at some point you will get covid "

She might. She might not.

Why do other people's attempts to look after themselves concern you?

Newton Abbot

"

Same question back at you. If someone doesnt want the jab or to wear a mask because they dont think that they work or are not worth the risks in taking, why does it concern you?

Manchester (she/her)

Same question back at you. If someone doesnt want the jab or to wear a mask because they dont think that they work or are not worth the risks in taking, why does it concern you?

"

I wasn't aware that was the topic of the thread or anything I've said in this thread or recently. I've only spoken to what I do and my understanding of the evidence as it stands.

I'm vaccinated. I mask. You do you.

york

not same principle at all and for every study saying they make a difference there are two study’s saying they don’t not to mention the 30 years of study’s saying they dont also fuchi witty vallance the who cdc sage have all said at times they make no difference and changed their views to keep in line with this ridiculous plague narrative on covid . actually no.. your wrong there...since covid they realised that there was actually very little scientific data about the protection on masks.. and after a few " they don't help apparent science based you tube videos came out..there were quite a lot of studies done.

And it is exactly the same principle as covering your nose and mouth while sneezing. Just on a larger scale.

It doesn't protect completely but even a basic face covering will make a positive difference. Not sure what is so hard to grasp on this "

not hard to grasp just untrue

Newton Abbot

"

It doesn't protect completely but even a basic face covering will make a positive difference. Not sure what is so hard to grasp on this "

Wrong. A basic face covering is counter productive. It gives a false sense of security as "I'm wearing a mask" but gives little to no filtration... particularly if continually touched, removed, reborn.

Come on, this is basic mask usage training that everyone involved in testing and jab rollout was supposed to have completed.

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

Well, just been and proudly had my booster jab. I hope it helps protect me and those around me

…. I can say I have done my bit, if it is only a little bit xx

Manchester (she/her)

"Well, just been and proudly had my booster jab. I hope it helps protect me and those around me

…. I can say I have done my bit, if it is only a little bit xx"

My reaction to this one was minimal. I wish you the same

york

"Well, just been and proudly had my booster jab. I hope it helps protect me and those around me

it may protect you for a short while and it won’t protect anyone else but and how much it protects is debatable . Also it’s not really a booster just the same what you’ve already had

"

It doesn't protect completely but even a basic face covering will make a positive difference. Not sure what is so hard to grasp on this

Wrong. A basic face covering is counter productive. It gives a false sense of security as "I'm wearing a mask" but gives little to no filtration... particularly if continually touched, removed, reborn.

Come on, this is basic mask usage training that everyone involved in testing and jab rollout was supposed to have completed."

we shall agree to disagree but I have to wear a mask for my entire shift at work along with other ppe when required...

Manchester (she/her)

…. I can say I have done my bit, if it is only a little bit xxit may protect you for a short while and it won’t protect anyone else but and how much it protects is debatable . Also it’s not really a booster just the same what you’ve already had "

That's odd. My jab had BA1 in it, which hadn't even been seen in the wild when I had my first jab. How could that be if it's all the same?

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Yes and no

Covid, yes jabs taken

Flu, yes had one last year, will do this year too

Cold sadly never, I suffer really badly with them (10 weeks is my record),

this needs to be vanquished as the first time I took my mask of this spring, I had the cold from Hell, I couldn't lay down without horrid coughing fits at night. steroids saved the day.

I was a covid cleaner and I never caught that plague. LFT and PCR neg

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"I think that may be very sensible, its not likely to do harm and may just prevent you getting poorly."

Cold and flu season: tis not the souvenir you want to bring home.

york

Yes and no

Covid, yes jabs taken

Flu, yes had one last year, will do this year too

Cold sadly never, I suffer really badly with them (10 weeks is my record),

this needs to be vanquished as the first time I took my mask of this spring, I had the cold from Hell, I couldn't lay down without horrid coughing fits at night. steroids saved the day.

I was a covid cleaner and I never caught that plague. LFT and PCR neg

"

it’s not the plague

taunton

Probably would be every bit as bad or worse than the plaque if it was not for the advances in scientific research and the ability we have to take action. at least it was harder for folks to spread the plaque worldwide in a few hours.

By *olex99Man  over a year ago

Hull

"Is it still a thing. ?

"

When I was in Italy in July, it was just on public transport (trains, metro etc). Not at airports.

By *rSshMan  over a year ago

Poundbury

"

Regardless, I'll be masking, having done my own research and come to my own conclusions."

Blimey, so ignore official research? Please do share your research.

Manchester (she/her)

"

Regardless, I'll be masking, having done my own research and come to my own conclusions.

Blimey, so ignore official research? Please do share your research."

I'm not sure what you mean by official research.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr spalding

"

I'm not sure what you mean by official research."

Maybe it's the official facebook and youtube research that seems to make all these amazing discoveries that contradict years and years of really scientific research

Manchester (she/her)

"

I'm not sure what you mean by official research.

Maybe it's the official facebook and youtube research that seems to make all these amazing discoveries that contradict years and years of really scientific research "

The research that contradicts the idea that barriers slow spread of stuff. Or something.

Which is so amazing that it overrides personal choice that was apparently necessary even when it broke the law.

Cool beans

I'll just keep masking.

merseyside

"

Well, that settles it, no more chat.

Either decide to mask and jab, or not, as the case may be.

I still wear one for work even though I have read, with differing degrees of interest, posts on here.

Obviously, I can't run into work tomorrow saying, guess what I read on a swinging site.

So, I'll jab, wear a mask for work with patients, wash my hands, not wear a mask when outside work unless asked to do so by airline, pharmacy or taxi and feel free to change my mind at any time.

How's that sound to everyone.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

"

Blimey, so ignore official research? Please do share your research."

Use Google, there are plenty of studies of using face coverings to reduce the spread of virus particles. One even tests various materials such as t-towels and cotton t-shirt against medical facemasks and all were successful to quite a degree.

merseyside

"

Use Google, there are plenty of studies of using face coverings to reduce the spread of virus particles. One even tests various materials such as t-towels and cotton t-shirt against medical facemasks and all were successful to quite a degree. "

T-towels are great and stop you being hospitalised unless you walk into the bank with one on, then a hospital admission is quite likely.

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Proudly

Newton Abbot

"

Use Google, there are plenty of studies of using face coverings to reduce the spread of virus particles. One even tests various materials such as t-towels and cotton t-shirt against medical facemasks and all were successful to quite a degree. "

Interesting. So a HSE study that shows surgical masks cannot stop the influenza virus passing through them is discounted. But a random study you have not even given the title of is fine as it apparently shows a physical impossibility...

A tshirt or t towel is at best good for filtering out macro sized particles. Expecting it to filter viruses is much akin to throwing gravel at a chain link fence and expecting it to not pass through.

If you want to wear a mask, go for it, just use the right one for the purpose.. unless it is to virtue signal or as a fashion accessory, in which case, there are some very bling ones out there.

» Add a new message to this topic