FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Vaccines and conspiracy theorists

Vaccines and conspiracy theorists

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *fternoonDelight69 OP   Man  over a year ago

Southampton

Looking through these forum posts I can't help notice how many times some people use the term 'conspiracy theorist'.

If you have used this term here before, this question is for you:

Who created the term and why?

Answers on a postcard please.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The more important focus is surely upon those who harm, by spreading malicious falsehoods, to deter people from getting vaccinated

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"The more important focus is surely upon those who harm, by spreading malicious falsehoods, to deter people from getting vaccinated "

.this for me. I have also been called a murderer, told I don't deserve to have children and my disabled special needs daughter had messages saying that i was trying to cull her with making her have the vaccine...

I don't mind if people don't want something, or even why. It's when it's due to false or ludicrous reasons that they push onto everyone that I will then call them a conspiracy theorist

By *weheavycummerMan  over a year ago

Near you

The CIA in a way of belittling anyone who questioned the JFK murder

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"The more important focus is surely upon those who harm, by spreading malicious falsehoods, to deter people from getting vaccinated

.this for me. I have also been called a murderer, told I don't deserve to have children and my disabled special needs daughter had messages saying that i was trying to cull her with making her have the vaccine...

I don't mind if people don't want something, or even why. It's when it's due to false or ludicrous reasons that they push onto everyone that I will then call them a conspiracy theorist "

I read about a boy who sued his parents for not giving him the mumps vaccine as a kid, he caught the virus as a baby and had health issues due to it. Now in his teens, he took them to court.

His parents were both believers of the anti vax movement.

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

"The more important focus is surely upon those who harm, by spreading malicious falsehoods, to deter people from getting vaccinated "

Did you look at the question, think no don’t fancy answering that one …. I’ll answer another question that wasn’t asked?

By *ddmanMan  over a year ago

Norwich

"Looking through these forum posts I can't help notice how many times some people use the term 'conspiracy theorist'.

Answers on a postcard please. "

Wiki thinks

"

The earliest known usage was by the American author Charles Astor Bristed, in a letter to the editor published in The New York Times on January 11, 1863. He used it to refer to claims that British aristocrats were intentionally weakening the United States during the American Civil War in order to advance their financial interests.

"

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"Looking through these forum posts I can't help notice how many times some people use the term 'conspiracy theorist'.

Wiki thinks

"

The earliest known usage was by the American author Charles Astor Bristed, in a letter to the editor published in The New York Times on January 11, 1863. He used it to refer to claims that British aristocrats were intentionally weakening the United States during the American Civil War in order to advance their financial interests.

""

Excellent Presume this thread can be closed as the question has been answered.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

A theory is just any theory that people are conspiring to achieve some goal. Obviously there are BIG conspiracy theories such as the US government faking The Moon Landings, and the CIA assassinating Kennedy and framing Lee Harvey Oswald. Anyone who believes one or any of these "theories" could be labelled as a Conspiracy Theorists.

Cal

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm not clear what the origins of a word have to do with anything in this case.

I believe the word "awful" used to mean inspiring awe. Which is clearly not what it means now.

I think we all work in a pretty similar framework of what a conspiracy theorist is. Just disagreement about how to apply that term, if at all.

By *aroheroMan  over a year ago

Immingham

"A theory is just any theory that people are conspiring to achieve some goal. Obviously there are BIG conspiracy theories such as the US government faking The Moon Landings, and the CIA assassinating Kennedy and framing Lee Harvey Oswald. Anyone who believes one or any of these "theories" could be labelled as a Conspiracy Theorists.

Cal"

So believe the truth you are a conspiracy theorist and go along with the stories the government force on to you to believe and you are sound of mind......mmmm.....not all as it seems to be here.......oh wait.....no doesn't matter as I don't want to be labled a conspiracy theorist.......?

Manchester (she/her)

"A theory is just any theory that people are conspiring to achieve some goal. Obviously there are BIG conspiracy theories such as the US government faking The Moon Landings, and the CIA assassinating Kennedy and framing Lee Harvey Oswald. Anyone who believes one or any of these "theories" could be labelled as a Conspiracy Theorists.

Cal

So believe the truth you are a conspiracy theorist and go along with the stories the government force on to you to believe and you are sound of mind......mmmm.....not all as it seems to be here.......oh wait.....no doesn't matter as I don't want to be labled a conspiracy theorist.......?"

If I believed something outside the mainstream, I wouldn't be at all troubled if I were labelled a conspiracy theorist, if I could back up what I was saying with evidence that withstood serious scrutiny.

The problem is that most people who attract that label, tend not to. It's all internally referenced and they dismiss anything that doesn't conform to their ideas.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

"The more important focus is surely upon those who harm, by spreading malicious falsehoods, to deter people from getting vaccinated

I don't mind if people don't want something, or even why. It's when it's due to false or ludicrous reasons that they push onto everyone that I will then call them a conspiracy theorist "

The same can be said on the flip side. While the narrative was still that I had to get as many vaccines as they deemed necessary to "save granny", I was called a murderer, it was also suggested I should lose my job, access to medical treatment, be put in camps and many other things. All because I decided I wasn't going to have the booster There is awful vitriol and name calling on both sides.

You do what is right for you and your family. If my kids were at risk I'd take a jab a day regardless of any perceived risk to myself.

As for conspiracies, JFK was killed for his anti Vietnam and opposition to the many coming proxy wars. I've watched and read hundreds of hours on this. It's a personal fav

By *uckscpl_bi_femCouple  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

It’s an easy go to term to basically shut down people who don’t agree with what your way of thinking is.

Same type of people who shout RACIST or SEXIST at anyone who goes against their train of thought. Shuts down the conversation immediately.

Sad really because I was always bought up to believe there were two sides to an argument and people could discuss pros and cons of both sides.

But look at Brexit, Trump covid etc..

There is an official narrative supported by the government and media and all those who disagree are labelled conspiracy theorists, anti vaxxers flat earth types just for asking legitimate questions.

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

It’s an easy go to term to basically shut down people who don’t agree with what your way of thinking is.

Same type of people who shout RACIST or SEXIST at anyone who goes against their train of thought. Shuts down the conversation immediately.

Sad really because I was always bought up to believe there were two sides to an argument and people could discuss pros and cons of both sides.

There is an official narrative supported by the government and media and all those who disagree are labelled conspiracy theorists, anti vaxxers flat earth types just for asking legitimate questions."

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Literally EVERYTHING is available to look up..

2 + 2 will never equal 5, for that soon you'll be labelled a conspiracy theorist..

The invention of the internet threatened the establishment, as we can now talk to each other, main stream media is becoming less effective..

Im anti war anti corporation anti main stream media, anti establishment, that was a left wing stance...

Now if you question the government somehow you're 'far right'.. wtf!! Lmao

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

this is my favourite conspiracy theory.

Someone in 1870. Possibly a CIA time traveller who realised that if they invented it irl it would be too obvious it's them

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=conspiracy+theory&year_start=1800&year_end=2008

By *enuineguy76Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"The CIA in a way of belittling anyone who questioned the JFK murder "
I concur with this answer;

Southampton

Cal

So believe the truth you are a conspiracy theorist and go along with the stories the government force on to you to believe and you are sound of mind......mmmm.....not all as it seems to be here.......oh wait.....no doesn't matter as I don't want to be labled a conspiracy theorist.......?"

That's about it, isn't it?

Project Mockingbird was the means to fool the people via the media.

Southampton

Cal

So believe the truth you are a conspiracy theorist and go along with the stories the government force on to you to believe and you are sound of mind......mmmm.....not all as it seems to be here.......oh wait.....no doesn't matter as I don't want to be labled a conspiracy theorist.......?

If I believed something outside the mainstream, I wouldn't be at all troubled if I were labelled a conspiracy theorist, if I could back up what I was saying with evidence that withstood serious scrutiny.

The problem is that most people who attract that label, tend not to. It's all internally referenced and they dismiss anything that doesn't conform to their ideas."

“...they dismiss anything that doesn't conform to their ideas.“

I think you'll find that those who believe most or everything they hear from their government / media / vaccine manufacturer treat alternative information the same way because it differs from what they have been told.

Cognitive dissonance.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

I don't understand why people get offended about being labelled a conspiracy theorist. If you believe that the government, or media are lying to everyone... then you think that there is literally a conspiracy to hide the truth from you.

Southampton

This was what I thought. If someone coined the term before the CIA was formed, then the CIA were the ones who popularised its use.

The idea was to create an unpleasant term to label anyone who spoke out... knowing that most people are afraid of being ridiculed. It worked, as we can see.

Southampton

There is an official narrative supported by the government and media and all those who disagree are labelled conspiracy theorists, anti vaxxers flat earth types just for asking legitimate questions."

Great answer.

Manchester (she/her)

Cal

I don't understand why people get offended about being labelled a conspiracy theorist. If you believe that the government, or media are lying to everyone... then you think that there is literally a conspiracy to hide the truth from you. "

Indeed

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"The CIA in a way of belittling anyone who questioned the JFK murder

This was what I thought. If someone coined the term before the CIA was formed, then the CIA were the ones who popularised its use.

The idea was to create an unpleasant term to label anyone who spoke out... knowing that most people are afraid of being ridiculed. It worked, as we can see. "

is there anything that summarises the evidence for this view ?

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Don't have any postcards but it's widely used here as using the appropriate adjective would likely result in a ban

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

It's a term for people who theorise about conspiracies.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"It's a term for people who theorise about conspiracies.

"

Because they don't have facts; just theories.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

That must mean that all the people who didn’t follow trump and his official narrative must have been conspiracy theorists as well.

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

There is an official narrative supported by the government and media and all those who disagree are labelled conspiracy theorists, anti vaxxers flat earth types just for asking legitimate questions.

That must mean that all the people who didn’t follow trump and his official narrative must have been conspiracy theorists as well."

Nope they are called Democrats and they (hillary Clinton) made up the conspiracy

[Removed by poster at 29/11/22 01:24:30]

I'm not vaccinated because I prefer to be in the control group and watch what happens to all you vaccine zeolots. It's a bit like I am legend the prequel on earth right now!

By *he BWCMan  over a year ago

Stafford

The cabaal who actually run the world behind the scenes... that's your answer

By *estana 2022Couple  over a year ago

london

One person's conspiracy theory is another person's truth

It's pretty simple....

Hands up who believes that the US government was able to send several men to the moon, land them safely, get them on to the surface, walk around, play golf, drive about in a beach buggy, have a direct telephone line to the oval office, pack everything back on to the space ship, take off and land back on earth virtually unscathed... using technology developed in the 1960's?

Also....

Hands up all those who believe that the corona jabs were safe and effective, provided the recipient with protection from catching the coronavirus, dying from coronavirus, passing on the coronavirus, killing granny and never have a devastating side effect?

Oh and...

Hands up all those who think that a middle eastern man dressed in a turban and matching bedsheet was able to mastermind an operation to hijack 4 passenger airliners, crash 2 of them into skyscrapers in New York bringing down 3 buildings, smash the shit out of the Pentagon and crash one into rural Pennsylvania...from his super cave deep in the tora-bora mountains of Afghanistan?

I watch the telly so obviously I believe all of the above and can take the moral high ground above anyone that disagrees with me. I am a good citizen but those who don't believe what I've said are far right, white supremacists and should have their assets & bank account frozen.

Oh and, Epstein definitely killed himself

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"It's pretty simple....

Hands up who believes that the US government was able to send several men to the moon, land them safely, get them on to the surface, walk around, play golf, drive about in a beach buggy, have a direct telephone line to the oval office, pack everything back on to the space ship, take off and land back on earth virtually unscathed... using technology developed in the 1960's?

Also....

Hands up all those who believe that the corona jabs were safe and effective, provided the recipient with protection from catching the coronavirus, dying from coronavirus, passing on the coronavirus, killing granny and never have a devastating side effect?

Oh and...

Hands up all those who think that a middle eastern man dressed in a turban and matching bedsheet was able to mastermind an operation to hijack 4 passenger airliners, crash 2 of them into skyscrapers in New York bringing down 3 buildings, smash the shit out of the Pentagon and crash one into rural Pennsylvania...from his super cave deep in the tora-bora mountains of Afghanistan?

I watch the telly so obviously I believe all of the above and can take the moral high ground above anyone that disagrees with me. I am a good citizen but those who don't believe what I've said are far right, white supremacists and should have their assets & bank account frozen.

Oh and, Epstein definitely killed himself "

I think you should watch the Mitchell and Webb conspiracy sketches on YouTube

"It's pretty simple....

Also....

Oh and...

Oh and, Epstein definitely killed himself

I think you should watch the Mitchell and Webb conspiracy sketches on YouTube "

Hans, are we the baddies?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"It's pretty simple....

Also....

Oh and...

Oh and, Epstein definitely killed himself "

the only thing more unbelievable than the above is that anyone could conspire to do all of the above and get away with it. So many people must be in on the act it's crazy. And noone has whistle blown ?

"It's pretty simple....

Also....

Oh and...

Oh and, Epstein definitely killed himself the only thing more unbelievable than the above is that anyone could conspire to do all of the above and get away with it. So many people must be in on the act it's crazy. And noone has whistle blown ? "

Absolutely right! Anyone daft enough to blow the whistle may at best be labelled a complete nut job, conspiracy theorist, right wing extremist and have threats made against them. At worst they could be sent to swim with the fishes. Goodness knows what might happen to a person that goes against those who control the flow of information.

Just to reiterate....I believe everything on telly!

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

And don't forget those who coerce, misinform and spread falsehoods to get people to take a vaccine. You see, It works both ways.

By *aretobareCouple  over a year ago

Central Portugal

And don't forget those who coerce, misinform and spread falsehoods to get people to take a vaccine. You see, It works both ways. "

Except one is based on medical research and evidence and yet the other is given credence by the terminally ill informed. Just like Brexit it doesn't work both ways and there is no cure for the intellectually challenged!

And don't forget those who coerce, misinform and spread falsehoods to get people to take a vaccine. You see, It works both ways.

Except one is based on medical research and evidence and yet the other is given credence by the terminally ill informed. Just like Brexit it doesn't work both ways and there is no cure for the intellectually challenged!

"

Medical research that has been proven to be misleading, wrong or just plain lies? Brexit champions can lie just like controlled scientists, academics and pharmaceutical companies. You're almost right though....there is no cure for the intellectualy challenged, gullible, binary brain, closed minded and just plain old suckers for official bollocks. It's ok to admit you were wrong about something.

"

Or for the programmed. You actually believe the research evidence from all the research groups that are paid for by pharma?

Drug dealers that have been convicted in court. The scandal of oxycontin. Bribery of doctors to use their products.

The mental health medicine that has turned out to be a complete con.

A vaccine developed using our money and resulting in their record breaking profits.

Contaminated vials of vaccine.

Refusal to provide the poorest countries with it. Refusal to share the ingredients or process.

Hiding contracts with governments

Refusing to attend eu enquiry in to the supply of vaccines.

These aren't conspiracy theories.

Its all happened and recorded.

And you say people who question this are intellectually challenged.

May be your just too programmed to see whats in front of you.

I wouldn't have commented if you hadn't been abusive to others.

Peace and love brother

By *eptimiusMan  over a year ago

East

The only malicious falsehood is that these injections are safe!

By *eptimiusMan  over a year ago

East

As for being informed those who chose not to poison their bodies with this concoction are far more informed than lets follow the masses sheep!

By *illynillyCouple  over a year ago

Wiltshire

I, Nilly never get involved in these types of discussions on general social media, however having been friends with people on there for years, I find it strange that suddenly they have all this knowledge about what's going into their body yet eat food not fit for human consumption...that is what baffles me the most

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Or for the programmed. You actually believe the research evidence from all the research groups that are paid for by pharma?

Drug dealers that have been convicted in court. The scandal of oxycontin. Bribery of doctors to use their products.

A vaccine developed using our money and resulting in their record breaking profits.

Refusal to provide the poorest countries with it. Refusal to share the ingredients or process.

Peace and love brother

"

big pharma is an issue. I agree. Especially in the US.

Similarly, I can believe govenments do interesting deals. There appears to be something unusual in the OU/AZ contract

But it is a jump from that to believing there are health issues with the various vaccines. Indeed, you'd need to look at each individually as they work by different mechanisms.

Or start to believe big pharma was complict in COVID to start with.

Each claim needs it's own evidence. Unfortunately for many who see a different version of events there is no cohesive alternative explanation and there are many who throw out demonstratably false "evidence". The sportsmen fallacy being one such example. This is maginifed by many not even seeking to look at the evidence itself, but trust someone else's interpretation.

Peace and love brother

Similarly, I can believe govenments do interesting deals. There appears to be something unusual in the OU/AZ contract

But it is a jump from that to believing there are health issues with the various vaccines. Indeed, you'd need to look at each individually as they work by different mechanisms.

Each claim needs it's own evidence. Unfortunately for many who see a different version of events there is no cohesive alternative explanation and there are many who throw out demonstratably false "evidence". The sportsmen fallacy being one such example. This is maginifed by many not even seeking to look at the evidence itself, but trust someone else's interpretation. "

Well at least you've dropped the insults thats progress

Thank you

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Peace and love brother

Each claim needs it's own evidence. Unfortunately for many who see a different version of events there is no cohesive alternative explanation and there are many who throw out demonstratably false "evidence". The sportsmen fallacy being one such example. This is maginifed by many not even seeking to look at the evidence itself, but trust someone else's interpretation.

Well at least you've dropped the insults thats progress

Thank you "

where have I insulted anyone ?

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"I, Nilly never get involved in these types of discussions on general social media, however having been friends with people on there for years, I find it strange that suddenly they have all this knowledge about what's going into their body yet eat food not fit for human consumption...that is what baffles me the most "

There is a post on one of these discussions where someone referred to the vaccine as poison while without a hint of orony admitting thatvyhey drink more than is healthy and have a poor diet.

Amd I must admit that I find it interesting that so many people seem to draw the line at the vaccine while clearly being dependant on other medicines and not taking care of themselves.

Manchester (she/her)

"I, Nilly never get involved in these types of discussions on general social media, however having been friends with people on there for years, I find it strange that suddenly they have all this knowledge about what's going into their body yet eat food not fit for human consumption...that is what baffles me the most

There is a post on one of these discussions where someone referred to the vaccine as poison while without a hint of orony admitting thatvyhey drink more than is healthy and have a poor diet.

Amd I must admit that I find it interesting that so many people seem to draw the line at the vaccine while clearly being dependant on other medicines and not taking care of themselves.

"

I think for some, science is indistinguishable from magic. Food is food and can be readily understood, no matter how much of a chemical mess it actually is. Whereas getting your head around the complexities of medicine is beyond the tangible, therefore it's frightening and to be shunned.

(This is a general comment about society as a whole, not any specific person let alone anyone here)

Wiltshire

"I, Nilly never get involved in these types of discussions on general social media, however having been friends with people on there for years, I find it strange that suddenly they have all this knowledge about what's going into their body yet eat food not fit for human consumption...that is what baffles me the most

"

I mean would they turn down insulin if it was recommended?

Exactly fast and processed food, sugar...Well the list is very long...I avoid pharma at all costs, as I also avoid proceeded pre made foods...yet understand the science for vaccines, don't get me wrong I m certainly not food shaming just pointing out the obvious double standard

Manchester (she/her)

I mean would they turn down insulin if it was recommended?

Exactly fast and processed food, sugar...Well the list is very long...I avoid pharma at all costs, as I also avoid proceeded pre made foods...yet understand the science for vaccines, don't get me wrong I m certainly not food shaming just pointing out the obvious double standard "

One of my medical conditions (hypothyroidism) may be fatal without medical intervention. The medication has been synthesised since the 50s, is cheap, effective, and safe. There are huge cottage industries of not trusting the doctors, don't take that stuff, question your blood results, or take the natural version that existed before the 50s (because ingesting dessicated pig thyroid is exactly what the hunter gatherers did )

Wiltshire

Exactly, you trust the medical intervention and understand why you have to take it...and know the consequences if you don't xx

Central Portugal

Medical research that has been proven to be misleading, wrong or just plain lies? Brexit champions can lie just like controlled scientists, academics and pharmaceutical companies. You're almost right though....there is no cure for the intellectualy challenged, gullible, binary brain, closed minded and just plain old suckers for official bollocks. It's ok to admit you were wrong about something. "

So when you are ill - you consult a witch doctor or herbalist or treat yourself via the internet- maybe a good option for someone with such a large amount of room for intellectual development.

Manchester (she/her)

"Exactly, you trust the medical intervention and understand why you have to take it...and know the consequences if you don't xx"

I'll occasionally argue the toss with my doctor, but like, "my results are borderline and I still have symptoms, can we do a trial of a higher dose?"

Not decrying levothyroxine because chemicals and either replacing it with green smoothies or pig thyroid ground up in the compounding pharmacy, like they did back before science.

Wiltshire

"Exactly, you trust the medical intervention and understand why you have to take it...and know the consequences if you don't xx

I'll occasionally argue the toss with my doctor, but like, "my results are borderline and I still have symptoms, can we do a trial of a higher dose?"

Not decrying levothyroxine because chemicals and either replacing it with green smoothies or pig thyroid ground up in the compounding pharmacy, like they did back before science."

Oh yes always worth the "tweak" on meds chat....

Funny I read a book during the pandemic, written before, fictional, was during the Spanish flu era....although only fictional, this time I m guessing was researched, pretty much non believer's and then the omg we need a vaccine to control this...

Obviously questioning things is a must but I m sure some of these scientists eye roll at human stupidity

Central Portugal

"Exactly, you trust the medical intervention and understand why you have to take it...and know the consequences if you don't xx

Not decrying levothyroxine because chemicals and either replacing it with green smoothies or pig thyroid ground up in the compounding pharmacy, like they did back before science.

Funny I read a book during the pandemic, written before, fictional, was during the Spanish flu era....although only fictional, this time I m guessing was researched, pretty much non believer's and then the omg we need a vaccine to control this...

Obviously questioning things is a must but I m sure some of these scientists eye roll at human stupidity "

So true - just like medical advisors did when the orange one suggested inserting light bulbs and horse de wormer - it really has been the decade of the stupid thus far!

Manchester (she/her)

Obviously questioning things is a must but I m sure some of these scientists eye roll at human stupidity "

Yes indeed. There are questions and there are questions.

My academic training is in ancient history. I remember having a random conversation with someone who had had a bit too much to drink. He asked me something I couldn't answer. Not because it was wildly brilliant, but because it contained so many errors that none of the parts of the question made sense.

It's one thing to say, we don't know how the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids, it seems unlikely given what we know about their technological capabilities (I would argue that lack of health and safety, plus unfree labour, is a big part of that answer - the Greeks after the classical period mimicked electrical devices with their unfree underclass). It's another thing to go off on a half cocked rant about the types of aliens that conspired in Egypt and central America.

Tin town

"

Teminally ill informed? Oh my, the irony.

Tin town

Peace and love brother

Each claim needs it's own evidence. Unfortunately for many who see a different version of events there is no cohesive alternative explanation and there are many who throw out demonstratably false "evidence". The sportsmen fallacy being one such example. This is maginifed by many not even seeking to look at the evidence itself, but trust someone else's interpretation. "

Yep, finding access to accurate, unbiased, unadjusted information is very challenging. Finding noise is almost impossible to ignore.

Manchester (she/her)

Peace and love brother

Yep, finding access to accurate, unbiased, unadjusted information is very challenging. Finding noise is almost impossible to ignore. "

There's a term - astroturfing. Fake grass roots movements funded by dark money, or in this instance contrived research.

We live in a very dangerous era where it's extremely difficult to determine honest and dishonest, reliable and unreliable.

Medical research that has been proven to be misleading, wrong or just plain lies? Brexit champions can lie just like controlled scientists, academics and pharmaceutical companies. You're almost right though....there is no cure for the intellectualy challenged, gullible, binary brain, closed minded and just plain old suckers for official bollocks. It's ok to admit you were wrong about something.

So when you are ill - you consult a witch doctor or herbalist or treat yourself via the internet- maybe a good option for someone with such a large amount of room for intellectual development. "

You can consult whoever you want when it comes to your own personal health decisions.

Last medical advice I took was via the internet on a Skype call with my GP....I hope that your witch doctor has access to broadband so that he can tell you which type of magic mushrooms you should avoid before going on forum to talk bollocks

Most conspiracy theorists aren't really conspiracy theorists -- they're typically conspiracy speculators using confirmation bias and dubious sources to back up preconceived notions.

Real theorists do real research and are quite prepared to be proven wrong -- and not by watching hours of videos on bitchute or wherever.

I think that, in terms of covid, it's a mass response to trauma -- like, slipping into denial as a way of coping with a world in turmoil.

Understandable, but totally irrational.

Did you look at the question, think no don’t fancy answering that one …. I’ll answer another question that wasn’t asked? "

Exactly my thought. The first response from the OP's question is avoiding the question

Teesside

So when you are ill - you consult a witch doctor or herbalist or treat yourself via the internet- maybe a good option for someone with such a large amount of room for intellectual development.

You can consult whoever you want when it comes to your own personal health decisions.

Last medical advice I took was via the internet on a Skype call with my GP....I hope that your witch doctor has access to broadband so that he can tell you which type of magic mushrooms you should avoid before going on forum to talk bollocks "

To be fair, I'd have more luck finding a witch doctor than booking a gp's appointment these days

I believe the term was coined by the FBI to do with anyone whom questioned the events surrounding the assassination of JFK ..

Now thrown down by anyone who doesn't like to be rebutted

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

First time I heard it was probably early 2000s when Internet was fully taking hold when either immature, deluded or mischievous (Take your pick)

Talked nonsense about the moon landings.

After the Conspiracy Theorist .. a new phenomenon wad born circa 2019/2020 .. hashtag wibble movement

Come on how many of you posted #wibble on a FB feed to alert all your co wibblers

77th brigade probably started that .. who are they you ask ..

The Army conspiring to alter how you behave and think .. but hey that's conspiracy Right !

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

[Removed by poster at 05/12/22 10:24:11]

Newcastle under Lyme

Who says they're falsehoods? The wealthy establishment and media barons? Surely it is more harmful to only allow one narrative and not allow people to hear other points of view? Is this offensive to the new religion of weak subservience?

By *arkandlovelyWoman  over a year ago

South Derbyshire

It was invented by Bill Gates and Hillary Clinton in a basement pizza restaurant, right?

"It was invented by Bill Gates and Hillary Clinton in a basement pizza restaurant, right?"

No that was Andy Pandy the nonce Prince.. don't think gates went to pedo Island

Think Clinton's logged as going

Pizza Gate..

all around

Thankfully Fab makes it easy to spot one, if the green arrow doesn't bring up any discussion related to swinging then that's a big red flag.

By *ussex team upCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Sussex

"Who says they're falsehoods? The wealthy establishment and media barons? Surely it is more harmful to only allow one narrative and not allow people to hear other points of view? Is this offensive to the new religion of weak subservience?"

The narrative has to be based on facts though rather than something dreamed up by someone deluded who back something up by a dodgy deluded source and stated as fact

By *r SproutMan  over a year ago

the middle somewhere

Some good posts made in here and probably the closest thing I’ve seen to a reasonable discussion.

If you want to understand fully about the conspiracies it would do no harm to watch the interview of Maajid Nawas and Jo Rogan.

When there is proof its not a conspiracy.

By *heHookyMonsterMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"If you want to understand fully about the conspiracies it would do no harm to watch the interview of Maajid Nawas and Jo Rogan.

When there is proof its not a conspiracy. "

is this an interview they did together ?

"If you want to understand fully about the conspiracies it would do no harm to watch the interview of Maajid Nawas and Jo Rogan.

When there is proof its not a conspiracy. is this an interview they did together ?"

Yes its 3 hours long. Sheds an interesting point on Ukraine and bio labs

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

When there is proof its not a conspiracy. is this an interview they did together ?

Yes its 3 hours long. Sheds an interesting point on Ukraine and bio labs "

thanks. Just from trying to find it, seems he (Nawas) isn't always on top of facts. I may give it a listen... Now to find 3 hours !!!

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

For me it would be a person who enjoys theorising about a conspiracy.

That conspiracy can be of their own making or others and their theorising can now be conducted to a massive audience via social media.

Is there any merit to their theorising. Maybe, maybe not.

Each one should be viewed on its merit.

Social media has meant most have gone from the guy at the end of the bar who touches the side of his nose frequently before speaking to a social media expert.

Each to his or her own, don't really care what people think as long as they are friendly, kind, considerate and don't put their foot in my door.

Liverpool

"After the Conspiracy Theorist .. a new phenomenon wad born circa 2019/2020 .. hashtag wibble movement

Come on how many of you posted #wibble on a FB feed to alert all your co wibblers

77th brigade probably started that .. who are they you ask ..

The Army conspiring to alter how you behave and think .. but hey that's conspiracy Right !"

77x

Liverpool

"Most conspiracy theorists aren't really conspiracy theorists -- they're typically conspiracy speculators using confirmation bias and dubious sources to back up preconceived notions.

Real theorists do real research and are quite prepared to be proven wrong -- and not by watching hours of videos on bitchute or wherever.

I think that, in terms of covid, it's a mass response to trauma -- like, slipping into denial as a way of coping with a world in turmoil.

Understandable, but totally irrational."

Confirmation bias is absolutely responsible for a lot of how we've become over the last few years. Most are victims of it, but have no clue.

By *exhillboyMan  over a year ago

Vilamoura Portugal

Cal

The world has changed immeasurably in the last 20 years and we are not yet equipped to effectively deal with the information we receive. In the past we got our information from TV and the newspapers and although the news we received wasnt infallible at least we could call out anyone who was spreading fake news or lies and their career in news would effectively be over, so we could have at least a little faith in it. Nowadays many people get their news from the anarchy of social media. People can jump onto social media and tell the world anything they want, they can fabricate false stories and false statistics to support their claims and the more fantastic the story is the faster it spreads like wildfire, with people adding their own bits onto it to make it even more fanciful until we get whole groups of our society who actually believe this "conspiracy theory" and are willing to put their lives and the lives of their friends and family at risk because "someone" who they have never heard of before and in many cases dont even know who said it, has convinced them that the vaccine that the worlds governments have almost bankrupted themselves to produce is a plot to insert microchips into your body and control you. It makes me pretty sad that so many people can be so gullible as to believe this fantasy but I truly believe that the people who start these chinese whispers should be made to pay for their actions that have cost the lives of thousands if not millions of people.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

I personally disregard all conspiracy theories and the proponents of them; from long experience I have found that those who parrot these theories have a level of intelligence that is below average and/or they have mental health problems that often include paranoia.

Their cognition is faulty; the moment I hear any talk of a conspiracy, I stop all contact with them and their nonsense.

It works perfectly.

I listen to rational and logical arguments, not rants from nutjobs, whose perception of how the world functions is flawed.

Vilamoura Portugal

"I personally disregard all conspiracy theories and the proponents of them; from long experience I have found that those who parrot these theories have a level of intelligence that is below average and/or they have mental health problems that often include paranoia.

Their cognition is faulty; the moment I hear any talk of a conspiracy, I stop all contact with them and their nonsense.

It works perfectly.

I listen to rational and logical arguments, not rants from nutjobs, whose perception of how the world functions is flawed."

I wish more people would exercise this filter to social media, but then again many dont have the mental capacity to do so and strangely they believe they are the intelligent ones and the rest of us are sheep.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Wikipedia might help you with this, but it’s probably run by the CIA….

“ Psychologists usually attribute belief in conspiracy theories and finding a conspiracy where there is none to a number of psychopathological conditions such as paranoia, schizotypy, narcissism, and insecure attachment, or to a form of cognitive bias called "illusory pattern perception".”

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"I personally disregard all conspiracy theories and the proponents of them; from long experience I have found that those who parrot these theories have a level of intelligence that is below average and/or they have mental health problems that often include paranoia.

It works perfectly.

I listen to rational and logical arguments, not rants from nutjobs, whose perception of how the world functions is flawed."

Totally agree

I think there is a big difference too between people who think differently - creatives or neuro divergents , and people with faulty cognition, through poor education or mental health , unable to discern good/bad sources etc

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

Basically it’s a term used by someone who needs to label someone else who doesn’t agree with the popular view.

The mr

It works perfectly.

I see you commenting on lots of conspiracy posts so something is wrong here.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

The people who questioned

People who questioned Mr blair's government conspiracy of weapons of mass destruction were called conspiracy nut jobs for not following the official narrative, the conspiracy theorists spiel is to shut down debates.

It works perfectly.

I listen to rational and logical arguments, not rants from nutjobs, whose perception of how the world functions is flawed.

Totally agree

I think there is a big difference too between people who think differently - creatives or neuro divergents , and people with faulty cognition, through poor education or mental health , unable to discern good/bad sources etc "

Ffs...

Teesside

It works perfectly.

Yet lots of so called conspiracy theories end up being legit. I could give you some examples but my perception of how the world functions is flawed

Tin town

"Basically it’s a term used by someone who needs to label someone else who doesn’t agree with the popular view.

The mr "

And generally used as an insult and to abuse someone.

"The people who questioned

People who questioned Mr blair's government conspiracy of weapons of mass destruction were called conspiracy nut jobs for not following the official narrative, the conspiracy theorists spiel is to shut down debates."

Exactly! There can only be the main stream narrative. Sounds like a dictatorship to me.

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Depends on how it's used as a term but just take a quick look over at Germany and recent events over there ? so most are just harmless but try watching some programmes about the QAnon lot ...far from harmless and yes they do have a thin thread of truth but ....and the whole chip in the vaccine was ?? as most have a smart phone and unless you turn off the tracking app....

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I don't remember which theories were about with Blair. My guess, if I asked now, is people we remember the parts that have a ring of truth and forget those that weren't close to being true.

It's the same across many conspiracy theories, some may be right or close to right. Many will be false. Others will be called a conspiracy due to a certain position, which will then get ignored later. (an example of this is trump saying he had evidence of Wuhan leaks. That has yet to be shown to be true, but I've seen people claim that the lab theory was being called a conspiracy theory. Im sure some have ruled it out, but don't recall a strong conspiracy narrative)

the main challenge I find is some people will back every theory. And they will double down if challenged. Often these people are as "dictated to" as us "sheep". It's just their leader isn't as high profile. A lack of scrutiny and expertise somehow adds credibility.

Believing in specific cases because you have alternative views on information. Fine. Always taking a contrarian view, and using dodgy sources to back that. Makes me tend towards thinking you want conspiracies to be true.

Teesside

Is it any more ridiculous than the billions of people who believe in God(or the multiple variations of God)? Not all is rooted in ancient history either, look at Mormonism or Scientology.

People love to latch onto something they think they know that others don't. It's all very cult like including a lot of conspiracy theorists.

dudley

"I don't remember which theories were about with Blair. My guess, if I asked now, is people we remember the parts that have a ring of truth and forget those that weren't close to being true.

It's the same across many conspiracy theories, some may be right or close to right. Many will be false. Others will be called a conspiracy due to a certain position, which will then get ignored later. (an example of this is trump saying he had evidence of Wuhan leaks. That has yet to be shown to be true, but I've seen people claim that the lab theory was being called a conspiracy theory. Im sure some have ruled it out, but don't recall a strong conspiracy narrative)

the main challenge I find is some people will back every theory. And they will double down if challenged. Often these people are as "dictated to" as us "sheep". It's just their leader isn't as high profile. A lack of scrutiny and expertise somehow adds credibility.

Believing in specific cases because you have alternative views on information. Fine. Always taking a contrarian view, and using dodgy sources to back that. Makes me tend towards thinking you want conspiracies to be true.

"

Mr Blairs government conspiracy of weapons of mass destruction, there is no conspiracy theory just plain conspiracy.

dudley

Which many including myself theorised that it was a conspiracy at the time.

Teesside

"I don't remember which theories were about with Blair. My guess, if I asked now, is people we remember the parts that have a ring of truth and forget those that weren't close to being true.

"

The theory from the very beginning was there was zero WMD's in Iraq. 9/11 was used as an excuse for another proxy war funnelling billions back into the pockets of Blair and Co. They knew from the getgo what removing Saddam would do to the region, knew the unrest it would cause and how much it could be milked for profit. All just so happen to have ties to weapons manufacturers. Its the same story, repeated over and over.

Tin town

The theory from the very beginning was there was zero WMD's in Iraq. 9/11 was used as an excuse for another proxy war funnelling billions back into the pockets of Blair and Co. They knew from the getgo what removing Saddam would do to the region, knew the unrest it would cause and how much it could be milked for profit. All just so happen to have ties to weapons manufacturers. Its the same story, repeated over and over. "

I heard a "thing" before shock and awe that... Weapons have a "drop by / explode by" date on them (??) and us had stockpiles of loads of munitions that were use it or lose it.... So they used them.

Teesside

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Vilamoura Portugal

The theory from the very beginning was there was zero WMD's in Iraq. 9/11 was used as an excuse for another proxy war funnelling billions back into the pockets of Blair and Co. They knew from the getgo what removing Saddam would do to the region, knew the unrest it would cause and how much it could be milked for profit. All just so happen to have ties to weapons manufacturers. Its the same story, repeated over and over.

I heard a "thing" before shock and awe that... Weapons have a "drop by / explode by" date on them (??) and us had stockpiles of loads of munitions that were use it or lose it.... So they used them. "

You may well be right, I dont have enough knowlege to dispute it but I was always under the impression that any weapons coming towards their use by date were used on firing ranges and out at sea for training purposes, but I guess that story wouldnt be sensational enough to fly round social media.

By *ild_oatsMan  over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

For something to be a theory it requires independently verifiable evidence or proof to provide empirical support for it.

As the word theory has been misinterpreted and misunderstood and gets used instead of the word hypothesis or hypothetically

The conspiracy believers are actually conspiracy fantasists.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"For something to be a theory it requires independently verifiable evidence or proof to provide empirical support for it.

As the word theory has been misinterpreted and misunderstood and gets used instead of the word hypothesis or hypothetically

The conspiracy believers are actually conspiracy fantasists."

And in many instances I reckon they have undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenia

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"For something to be a theory it requires independently verifiable evidence or proof to provide empirical support for it.

And in many instances I reckon they have undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenia "

Bit of a leap there!

By *atureGuy62Man  over a year ago

DE7

Probably started during the anti-communism era before that. Is you neightbour a communist?

Liverpool

I heard a "thing" before shock and awe that... Weapons have a "drop by / explode by" date on them (??) and us had stockpiles of loads of munitions that were use it or lose it.... So they used them.

You may well be right, I dont have enough knowlege to dispute it but I was always under the impression that any weapons coming towards their use by date were used on firing ranges and out at sea for training purposes, but I guess that story wouldnt be sensational enough to fly round social media."

You are correct - 100%! We don't start conflicts just to get rid of munitions. Happens regularly with small arms ammunition in particular. It has a shelf life in exactly the same way a loaf of bread would.

Liverpool

The theory from the very beginning was there was zero WMD's in Iraq. 9/11 was used as an excuse for another proxy war funnelling billions back into the pockets of Blair and Co. They knew from the getgo what removing Saddam would do to the region, knew the unrest it would cause and how much it could be milked for profit. All just so happen to have ties to weapons manufacturers. Its the same story, repeated over and over. "

This is actually incorrect. Plenty of 'information' in the press backed thos theory, so many, many people bought into it. The truth is somewhat different. While I'm absolutely NOT a fan of Tony Blair, the reality was very different. Although it's never been highly publicised it's no longer a secret that Saddam Hussein deliberately started with a false information campaign that he had WMD. This was picked up by signals intelligence in the US and UK, with Saddam knowing they were listening. This deliberate misinformation was designed to deter an invasion from Iran and neighbouring countries, which had become much stronger over time, rather than NATO, as he was primarily interested in not showing how weak his forces truly were, despite having many battle-hardened troops post Iran/Iraq conflict. Unfortunately this backfired on him big time and the destabilisation of the entire region began.

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

A recent report in the USA has shown that twice as many Republicans died of covid than Democrats. An antivax stance was a cornerstone of many Republican politicians.

As a consequence we are witnessing natural selection at work. Those who refuse the vaccine, for whatever reason, good or bad, were twice as likely to die.

I am assuming, when it came to the recent midterms, the bereaved relatives of the dead showed their disapproval of the antivax political stance by giving the Democrats control of the Senate and made the Republicans less powerful than expected in the House of representatives.

In this country political allegiance is less well known but it would suggest that antivaxers and conspiracy theorists are more likely to have died than the others.

Tin town

"A recent report in the USA has shown that twice as many Republicans died of covid than Democrats. An antivax stance was a cornerstone of many Republican politicians.

As a consequence we are witnessing natural selection at work. Those who refuse the vaccine, for whatever reason, good or bad, were twice as likely to die.

I am assuming, when it came to the recent midterms, the bereaved relatives of the dead showed their disapproval of the antivax political stance by giving the Democrats control of the Senate and made the Republicans less powerful than expected in the House of representatives.

In this country political allegiance is less well known but it would suggest that antivaxers and conspiracy theorists are more likely to have died than the others. "

How do you draw that conclusion from an incited bit of tittle tattle. Could it be that geographic, and demographics might play a part? That education, influences, environment, culture might play a part? Or is everything down to anti vaxxers and all of them are republican?

Has analysis to be done to see what has happened before or since the pandemic for comparative purposes?

Who paid for the research? What are their political allegiances? What is their agenda?

Glasgow

"A recent report in the USA has shown that twice as many Republicans died of covid than Democrats. An antivax stance was a cornerstone of many Republican politicians.

In this country political allegiance is less well known but it would suggest that antivaxers and conspiracy theorists are more likely to have died than the others.

How do you draw that conclusion from an incited bit of tittle tattle. Could it be that geographic, and demographics might play a part? That education, influences, environment, culture might play a part? Or is everything down to anti vaxxers and all of them are republican?

Has analysis to be done to see what has happened before or since the pandemic for comparative purposes?

Who paid for the research? What are their political allegiances? What is their agenda? "

In other words, throw shit at the data, or "incited bit of tittle tattle" as you call it, from the National Bureau of Economic Research ( https://www.nber.org/ ) and try and overload the poster.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/republicans-died-double-democrats-covid-b2227425.html

The Independant produced one UK comment on it.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Who paid for the research? What are their political allegiances? What is their agenda?

In other words, throw shit at the data, or "incited bit of tittle tattle" as you call it, from the National Bureau of Economic Research ( https://www.nber.org/ ) and try and overload the poster.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/republicans-died-double-democrats-covid-b2227425.html

The Independant produced one UK comment on it. "

interesting link.

Tbf the other poster had some fair challenges based on the knfo provided at the time. I was guessing Republicans are older.

However the key info is the change happened only after vaccines came out and was more pronounced in low vaccine areas (from my quick skim)

Certainly directionally interesting. I'd need to read the report yo see how they accounted for any demographic differences that could still play a part.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

The Independant produced one UK comment on it. interesting link.

Tbf the other poster had some fair challenges based on the knfo provided at the time. I was guessing Republicans are older.

However the key info is the change happened only after vaccines came out and was more pronounced in low vaccine areas (from my quick skim)

Certainly directionally interesting. I'd need to read the report yo see how they accounted for any demographic differences that could still play a part. "

I don't see how you can make those conclusions with the data there are 2 many variables. Republicans tend to be older and less educated both increase the likelihood of dying from covid. Republicans are less likely to vaccinated but I don't think you can prove it with this data. You can say that the same person who is vaccinated is less likely but it not possible to extrapolate that more republicans are dying due to lower vaccination rates.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Certainly directionally interesting. I'd need to read the report yo see how they accounted for any demographic differences that could still play a part.

I don't see how you can make those conclusions with the data there are 2 many variables. Republicans tend to be older and less educated both increase the likelihood of dying from covid. Republicans are less likely to vaccinated but I don't think you can prove it with this data. You can say that the same person who is vaccinated is less likely but it not possible to extrapolate that more republicans are dying due to lower vaccination rates."

they looked at registered voters only.

Republicans had higher xs deaths. However the difference went from 22pc to 153pc after the vaccines came in.

The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available.

There may be other variables. But there evidence to support a hypothesis that there was a different use of vaccines between supporters.

It may be post vaccine risk behaviour. But then one may ask why that wasn't seen elsewhere with high vaccine use.

Tin town

And there's the perfect example of conspiracy theories and how they breathe life into them.

Manchester (she/her)

I don't see how you can make those conclusions with the data there are 2 many variables. Republicans tend to be older and less educated both increase the likelihood of dying from covid. Republicans are less likely to vaccinated but I don't think you can prove it with this data. You can say that the same person who is vaccinated is less likely but it not possible to extrapolate that more republicans are dying due to lower vaccination rates."

Without looking at the data, and only having a rudimentary knowledge of how these things work, could these variables be controlled for?

I think the answer is digging into data and methods used, and seeing if they're replicated in other studies or in analogous studies in other studies (if such a thing exists)

Manchester (she/her)

I don't see how you can make those conclusions with the data there are 2 many variables. Republicans tend to be older and less educated both increase the likelihood of dying from covid. Republicans are less likely to vaccinated but I don't think you can prove it with this data. You can say that the same person who is vaccinated is less likely but it not possible to extrapolate that more republicans are dying due to lower vaccination rates.

Without looking at the data, and only having a rudimentary knowledge of how these things work, could these variables be controlled for?

I think the answer is digging into data and methods used, and seeing if they're replicated in other studies or in analogous studies in other studies (if such a thing exists)"

*Studies in other countries

The conspiracy believers are actually conspiracy fantasists."

No they are not and I quote

“an idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action.” Oxford English language, note the word idea

teleford

And in many instances I reckon they have undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenia

Bit of a leap there! "

characterized by predominantly positive symptoms of schizophrenia, including delusions and hallucinations. These debilitating symptoms blur the line between what is real and what isn't, making it difficult for the person to lead a typical life

Seems a fair explanation for those who believes Bill Gates wants to put 5G nano bots into them (shrug)

teleford

Conspiracy theories are largely the invention of stupid people to make themselves feel intelligent. Leading flat earth advocate claims he is right because there are flat earth believers all over the globe . ROFL

Teesside

You are taking an extreme and passing it off as if its the rule!

On the opposite side you have those that believe people should have been fired, denied medical treatment, forced into camps, lost jobs and in some cases killed for refusing to have an injection that MAY stop transmission and MAY stop you from dying.

Its safe to say both sides of this fence have some loonies on it.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"You are taking an extreme and passing it off as if its the rule!

On the opposite side you have those that believe people should have been fired, denied medical treatment, forced into camps, lost jobs and in some cases killed for refusing to have an injection that MAY stop transmission and MAY stop you from dying.

Its safe to say both sides of this fence have some loonies on it."

who has been killed ?wow.

Teesside

Its safe to say both sides of this fence have some loonies on it.who has been killed ?wow. "

No one has been killed that I know of but I saw it bandied about that they "should face what they are doing to others"

People have short memories when it comes to the hate and vitriol that the extreme pro covid vaxxers spouted at the height of the pandemic.

Equally as ludicrous as believing in a conspiracy(maybe not flat earth, can't bring myself to defend that one)

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Its safe to say both sides of this fence have some loonies on it.who has been killed ?wow. No one has been killed that I know of but I saw it bandied about that they "should face what they are doing to others"

People have short memories when it comes to the hate and vitriol that the extreme pro covid vaxxers spouted at the height of the pandemic.

Equally as ludicrous as believing in a conspiracy(maybe not flat earth, can't bring myself to defend that one)"

soz. Miss read. Never saw that extreme.

I can condemn both sides. However there is a difference between looking at the evidence (or not) and having a "policy" position.

Wishing death tho. Wrong.

Did you look at the question, think no don’t fancy answering that one …. I’ll answer another question that wasn’t asked?

Couldent have put it better myself

"

Tin town

"Conspiracy theories are largely the invention of stupid people to make themselves feel intelligent. Leading flat earth advocate claims he is right because there are flat earth believers all over the globe . ROFL"

Is that what you genuinely think? You see I think "conspiracy" has become a very misused word now. It is used to label and argue against people who don't agree with you. It is used to justify and ignore the/any opposing evidence. It is used by people of limited intelligence for whatever reason and it is used by incredibly intelligent people and organisations to achieve end games and worryingly some are very effective in creating and directing opinion that becomes self fulfilling. Personally I think the abuse of media to create and manage false information and Conspiracy is more dangerous to our future well being than was covid and the vaccines and all its side effects (sic) But that is just my opinion.

In this country political allegiance is less well known but it would suggest that antivaxers and conspiracy theorists are more likely to have died than the others. "

Dear oh dear ..what bollox that is!!!...What jamboree bag did you pluck that crap from???

Glasgow

Dear oh dear ..what bollox that is!!!...What jamboree bag did you pluck that crap from???"

See above.

merseyside

Its safe to say both sides of this fence have some loonies on it."

I've seen that fence and it's got FAB SWINGERS painted in creocoat on both sides.

Glasgow

"Conspiracy theories are largely the invention of stupid people to make themselves feel intelligent. Leading flat earth advocate claims he is right because there are flat earth believers all over the globe . ROFL

Is that what you genuinely think? You see I think "conspiracy" has become a very misused word now. It is used to label and argue against people who don't agree with you. It is used to justify and ignore the/any opposing evidence. It is used by people of limited intelligence for whatever reason and it is used by incredibly intelligent people and organisations to achieve end games and worryingly some are very effective in creating and directing opinion that becomes self fulfilling. Personally I think the abuse of media to create and manage false information and Conspiracy is more dangerous to our future well being than was covid and the vaccines and all its side effects (sic) But that is just my opinion. "

Good point on conspiracies.

The saddest thing about the internet and social media in the 2020s is the widespread desire to harm, belittle and disrupt the lives of others.

Many years ago a great thinker said "Personal abuse is a sure sign of a weak case". When people resort to insulting others' intelligence and trying to discredit data without offering good reason or alternatives it reflects more on their intellect than those they criticise.

Tin town

"Conspiracy theories are largely the invention of stupid people to make themselves feel intelligent. Leading flat earth advocate claims he is right because there are flat earth believers all over the globe . ROFL

Is that what you genuinely think? You see I think "conspiracy" has become a very misused word now. It is used to label and argue against people who don't agree with you. It is used to justify and ignore the/any opposing evidence. It is used by people of limited intelligence for whatever reason and it is used by incredibly intelligent people and organisations to achieve end games and worryingly some are very effective in creating and directing opinion that becomes self fulfilling. Personally I think the abuse of media to create and manage false information and Conspiracy is more dangerous to our future well being than was covid and the vaccines and all its side effects (sic) But that is just my opinion.

The saddest thing about the internet and social media in the 2020s is the widespread desire to harm, belittle and disrupt the lives of others.

Many years ago a great thinker said "Personal abuse is a sure sign of a weak case". When people resort to insulting others' intelligence and trying to discredit data without offering good reason or alternatives it reflects more on their intellect than those they criticise. "

Yep you witness quite often in the fora. Trouble is our ability to conduct informed debate on these text fora is limited. One upmanship, attempted humour, misunderstanding, emojis, 128 character thinking, none of that helps either.

It's quite a scary thought when you can't trust what you read and see and hear with you're own eyes and ears.

When our own affiliation and confirmation bias with certain sources qualifies as an expert and reliable source. More so than the disagreeable and challenging information from other sources regardless of their bona fides.

Education by 90 second tik tok videos. Style over substance.

merseyside

Many years ago a great thinker said "Personal abuse is a sure sign of a weak case". When people resort to insulting others' intelligence and trying to discredit data without offering good reason or alternatives it reflects more on their intellect than those they criticise. "

My husband's grandad once told him "if you raise your voice, you've lost the argument".

He's sadly missed.

The grandad, not my husband.

Glasgow

Many years ago a great thinker said "Personal abuse is a sure sign of a weak case". When people resort to insulting others' intelligence and trying to discredit data without offering good reason or alternatives it reflects more on their intellect than those they criticise.

My husband's grandad once told him "if you raise your voice, you've lost the argument".

He's sadly missed.

The grandad, not my husband. "

You mean you would not miss your husband??

merseyside

He's sadly missed.

The grandad, not my husband.

You mean you would not miss your husband?? "

Glasgow

Yep you witness quite often in the fora. Trouble is our ability to conduct informed debate on these text fora is limited. One upmanship, attempted humour, misunderstanding, emojis, 128 character thinking, none of that helps either.

It's quite a scary thought when you can't trust what you read and see and hear with you're own eyes and ears.

When our own affiliation and confirmation bias with certain sources qualifies as an expert and reliable source. More so than the disagreeable and challenging information from other sources regardless of their bona fides.

Education by 90 second tik tok videos. Style over substance. "

Misinformation is weapon of war now more so than ever before. Many of the posts that lead to harm are actually designed to do just that by bad actors. People have a right to be sceptical about sources so long as they are equally sceptical about their own confirmation bias.

teleford

Is that what you genuinely think? You see I think "conspiracy" has become a very misused word now. It is used to label and argue against people who don't agree with you. It is used to justify and ignore the/any opposing evidence. It is used by people of limited intelligence for whatever reason and it is used by incredibly intelligent people and organisations to achieve end games and worryingly some are very effective in creating and directing opinion that becomes self fulfilling. Personally I think the abuse of media to create and manage false information and Conspiracy is more dangerous to our future well being than was covid and the vaccines and all its side effects (sic) But that is just my opinion. "

I think scrutiny and questioning is a positive thing. The problem is outlandish conspiracy theories that are without any evidential basis entirely undermine implementation of reasonable scrutiny and sensible debate. Dumb people trying to feel smart by inventing or propagating wild conspiracy theories cause real conspiracies to get lost in the noise.

Tin town

I think scrutiny and questioning is a positive thing. The problem is outlandish conspiracy theories that are without any evidential basis entirely undermine implementation of reasonable scrutiny and sensible debate. Dumb people trying to feel smart by inventing or propagating wild conspiracy theories cause real conspiracies to get lost in the noise."

Agreed. And real relevant accurate useful information to get lost in the noise too.... And lack of trust. Ohh Internet freedom what have you done.?

By *he fab twoCouple  over a year ago

brentwood

All them people that called me a conspiracy theorist but everything I said over last 2 years has come true! They still say I have the jab to protect you, I tell them I wear a crag helmet when I ride a motorbike to protect you

By *ity_BoyMan  over a year ago

London

"All them people that called me a conspiracy theorist but everything I said over last 2 years has come true! They still say I have the jab to protect you, I tell them I wear a crag helmet when I ride a motorbike to protect you "

What has come true?

Tin town

"All them people that called me a conspiracy theorist but everything I said over last 2 years has come true! They still say I have the jab to protect you, I tell them I wear a crag helmet when I ride a motorbike to protect you "

Could you let me have the lottery numbers please?

Central

A lot of hearsay, it would perhaps be better to post links, so that there's a possibility to gain some understanding of what seems confusing. It's easy here for things to attempt to outbatshit others

By *xposedInTheSunCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

" Dumb people trying to feel smart by inventing or propagating wild conspiracy theories cause real conspiracies to get lost in the noise."

Which is, of course, why the establishment invented all these daft theories about vaccines and JFK being murdered by the CIA, and the moon landings.

Who gains most from dumb conspiracy theories? It's clearly the establishment.

I'm just saying...

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

If there is a new jab for Covid-19 and its variants, the annual Flu and other threats to human health, ever year from now until I depart to a hole in the ground; I will gladly have every one of them!

Exceptionally intelligent virologists devised these vaccines, very rapidly, to combat the global threat from Covid, no matter what its origin in Wuhan, China

If those who refuse to be vaccinated are consumed by this virus, sobeit!

I didn't get a single jab and I'm healthy which is more than I can say for the covidians out there getting illness after illness and illness...

As Johnny Rotten once said 'ever feel like you've been cheated?'

all around

"I didn't get a single jab and I'm healthy which is more than I can say for the covidians out there getting illness after illness and illness...

As Johnny Rotten once said 'ever feel like you've been cheated?' "

And you have the freedom to enjoy your good health thanks to the vaccine and those that took it.

Tin town

"I didn't get a single jab and I'm healthy which is more than I can say for the covidians out there getting illness after illness and illness...

As Johnny Rotten once said 'ever feel like you've been cheated?'

And you have the freedom to enjoy your good health thanks to the vaccine and those that took it."

But its just as likely it could be their own behaviours and immune system doing its job though isn't it? Like most infectious diseases. Given that vaccines efficacy against spreading omicron is remarkably short lived.

By *ischiefManaged69Couple  over a year ago

Preston

Being pedantic about the term 'conspiracy theorist', surely means belief in a plot contrived by a group which cannot be evidenced. Theorist is the active part for me, an idea that has yet to be proven.

Anyone presenting an idea or theory as fact, without proof is a twunt.

Proof isn't a post on twatter, coktok, or fakebook stating someone's else's opinion.

Rant over, feel better!

Glasgow

As Johnny Rotten once said 'ever feel like you've been cheated?' "

The peak World Covid mortality rate, at the height of the pandemic, was 8%. So you are one of the 92% of the world citizens who did not die if they caught it. Congratulations sir!! However, for those that made up the deaths, their mortality rate was 100%.

The statistics indicate the death rate fell hugely once the vaccinations were widely used. I therefore do not feel cheated, as do the rest who survived, because of the vaccination programme.

Newcastle under Lyme

Conspiracy theorist?

Isn't that what they call people who figure out the truth before everybody else?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Conspiracy theorist?

Isn't that what they call people who figure out the truth before everybody else?"

the trouble with being right and being wrong is it feels the same.

By *ity_BoyMan  over a year ago

London

"Conspiracy theorist?

Isn't that what they call people who figure out the truth before everybody else?"

Still waiting to hear what the "truth" is..........

By *xposedInTheSunCouple  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

"Conspiracy theorist?

Has there ever been a conspiracy theory that turned out to be correct?

Teesside

"Conspiracy theorist?

Isn't that what they call people who figure out the truth before everybody else?

Has there ever been a conspiracy theory that turned out to be correct? "

Do you want a list? There's a good few.

In the early 60's there was a theory that the USA had developed a new style of fighter jet that could evade radar, being tested in an area called 41 .

the Americans denied this, but now we know the fighter jet was the SR-71 Blackbird and it was the first plane to evade radar and could fly in the stratosphere.

get this plane spotters have said an aircraft that has a kind of technology that enables it ti fly without wings at impossible speeds.

I wonder if that turns out to be true.

all around

Strange thing is as soon as one disappears another magically appears like a phoenix...

That could be his next user name lol

Manchester (she/her)

"Strange thing is as soon as one disappears another magically appears like a phoenix...

That could be his next user name lol"

That sounds like a conspiracy

Tin town

"In the early 60's there was a theory that the USA had developed a new style of fighter jet that could evade radar, being tested in an area called 41 .

the Americans denied this, but now we know the fighter jet was the SR-71 Blackbird and it was the first plane to evade radar and could fly in the stratosphere.

get this plane spotters have said an aircraft that has a kind of technology that enables it ti fly without wings at impossible speeds.

I wonder if that turns out to be true."

They'll be putting a man on the moon next.

Liverpool

"In the early 60's there was a theory that the USA had developed a new style of fighter jet that could evade radar, being tested in an area called 41 .

They'll be putting a man on the moon next. "

Well made point. Only difference (as an observation) is that there's a difference between keeping secrets legitimately (as will always be the case in the defence world), with people making stuff up because they think they 'deserve to know' and find/fuel conspiracies in absolutely nothing, stupidly creating malicious and damaging bullshit for the easily influenced. The SR71 didn't create anything damaging, just curiosity and excitement. Well put argument though as I say.

Well made point. Only difference (as an observation) is that there's a difference between keeping secrets legitimately (as will always be the case in the defence world), with people making stuff up because they think they 'deserve to know' and find/fuel conspiracies in absolutely nothing, stupidly creating malicious and damaging bullshit for the easily influenced. The SR71 didn't create anything damaging, just curiosity and excitement. Well put argument though as I say. "

Well I thank kind sir

From what I have understood and learned about it, is that the term was coined/created by the cia to use as a means of covering up information that is potentially important/impactful.

The term has been generalised for use by the masses, but with the wrong context and so it is used to ridicule certain people that come out with information that could jeopardise and de-legitimise those in power.

Google largest criminal fines in history and we'll see who's trustworthy in this equation.

Thats what I hear, do you think the landings where faked?

I would like to hope they did go to the moon, I would like to believe in it as I am a geek.

By *lirtyfortiesCouple  over a year ago

Horndean

"

Google largest criminal fines in history and we'll see who's trustworthy in this equation."

Exactly! Big tech, Banks and pharmaceuticals are the biggest criminals on the planet. Trust them though as they have your best interests at heart

Central

[Removed by poster at 04/01/23 13:25:06]

Central

I would like to hope they did go to the moon, I would like to believe in it as I am a geek."

I think it's pretty safe to conclude that they did, due to the important equipment left there, including what allows us to measure its precise distance from us, at any moment in time

By *ischiefManaged69Couple  over a year ago

Preston

I would like to hope they did go to the moon, I would like to believe in it as I am a geek.

I think it's pretty safe to conclude that they did, due to the important equipment left there, including what allows us to measure its precise distance from us, at any moment in time "

Someone will be on in a minute to tell you the distance is made up by a computer at NASA!

Manchester (she/her)

"

Google largest criminal fines in history and we'll see who's trustworthy in this equation.

Exactly! Big tech, Banks and pharmaceuticals are the biggest criminals on the planet. Trust them though as they have your best interests at heart "

The problem is, most of the most outlandish ideas and groups start with a truism.

You can be your own God and direct missionaries into hell and convert people? Fuck off. But... Let's start with - family is sacred and if you follow us you can be with your family forever. We'll get to the more difficult stuff once you're hooked.

Vaccines are a depopulation tool by the elite cabal something something pizza parlour adrenochrome? Loony! Ah, but we can't always trust government or big corporations. Therefore let me lead you down this path and eventually you'll see the truth of the underground tunnels of children in Ukraine.

I can just stop with family is important and power corrupts, myself, without going all in on bullshit

Teesside

"

Exactly! Big tech, Banks and pharmaceuticals are the biggest criminals on the planet. Trust them though as they have your best interests at heart

The problem is, most of the most outlandish ideas and groups start with a truism.

You can be your own God and direct missionaries into hell and convert people? Fuck off. But... Let's start with - family is sacred and if you follow us you can be with your family forever. We'll get to the more difficult stuff once you're hooked.

Vaccines are a depopulation tool by the elite cabal something something pizza parlour adrenochrome? Loony! Ah, but we can't always trust government or big corporations. Therefore let me lead you down this path and eventually you'll see the truth of the underground tunnels of children in Ukraine.

I can just stop with family is important and power corrupts, myself, without going all in on bullshit "

Whilst I'm not a believer in the whole vaccine depop/chips/5g/insert theory here, reading the multitude of crimes committed by these supposed paragons of virtue that are saving us all is horrifying.

Fake studies with known health risks, data hand picked to support whatever direction they want to take a drug they want to keep under patent for other uses and many other heinous acts, all for profit.

There's already enough conspiracy to go round without it needing to be taken to a ridiculous level

I think it's pretty safe to conclude that they did, due to the important equipment left there, including what allows us to measure its precise distance from us, at any moment in time "

Thank the stars

I think it's pretty safe to conclude that they did, due to the important equipment left there, including what allows us to measure its precise distance from us, at any moment in time

Someone will be on in a minute to tell you the distance is made up by a computer at NASA!"

now im confused again ho

Manchester (she/her)

"

I can just stop with family is important and power corrupts, myself, without going all in on bullshit Whilst I'm not a believer in the whole vaccine depop/chips/5g/insert theory here, reading the multitude of crimes committed by these supposed paragons of virtue that are saving us all is horrifying.

Fake studies with known health risks, data hand picked to support whatever direction they want to take a drug they want to keep under patent for other uses and many other heinous acts, all for profit.

There's already enough conspiracy to go round without it needing to be taken to a ridiculous level"

Sure.

I'm not and I've never said don't hold the powerful to account. I read and enjoyed Bad Pharma several years ago, etc.

I just think that jumping from that to harvesting children in Ukrainian tunnels is silly. And a useful distraction for genuine bad actors - it's only the kooks who think Pfizer are evil, don't look behind the curtain.

Like "trust the government always" is 0, adrenochrome basements is a million. I'm probably somewhere in the hundreds - power corrupts and absolute power is very nice too. Powerful bodies work together to shield each other, and we need to work on demanding evidence and accountability. Let's follow the evidence and demand higher standards.

I have no idea if the person I'm quoting believes in the adrenochrome or Martian elements that can come into this. Some do. But they might say I mischaracterise them by pointing out the ridiculous extremes. "I believe the BBC always and never think pharma do anything wrong" is also an extreme, and is a mischaracterisation of my position.

I think we should spend our energy trying to work out how to navigate misinformation, develop our own critical thinking skills, and who we can (at least conditionally) trust.

I trust government and big pharma if and only if I can verify.

By *lirtyfortiesCouple  over a year ago

Horndean

As far as all the theories go, they could all be true or all be bullshit. Either way, there's not an awful lot you can do about it so what does it matter?

I just didn't want a experimental procedure that is still on clinical trial for a virus that I have almost zero chance of dying from. Does that make me a callous murderer? I'd say it makes me a critical thinker.

I never cared what people chose to do regarding the vaccine so it was hard to take some of the abuse I got. At least my decision is deemed justifiable by most people now. Even had a few apologies which is nice.

And if not trusting the government, main stream media, big tech and drug companies still makes anyone think I'm a nutter then there's not an awful lot I can do to dissuade them, lol