FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Monkeypox is now....

Monkeypox is now....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Rebranded as mpox... Apparently it was stigmatising...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63782514

I wonder if we will see the end of German measles... Smallpox... Yellow fever...?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"Rebranded as mpox... Apparently it was stigmatising...

I wonder if we will see the end of German measles... Smallpox... Yellow fever...? "

I don't know why German Measles is called that, but if it lead to stigma for certain groups of people then I don't think it would be a problem.

I didn't realise anyone would be bothered by the new name of mpox. Like, are some people that attached to the previous name?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Rebranded as mpox... Apparently it was stigmatising...

I wonder if we will see the end of German measles... Smallpox... Yellow fever...? "

Isn't "German measles" rubella?

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

"Isn't "German measles" rubella?"

Interestingly, it was called rubella first. So, GM wasn't dropped for any PC reasons.

Just thought I'd get that in before they start.

Manchester (she/her)

"Isn't "German measles" rubella?

Interestingly, it was called rubella first. So, GM wasn't dropped for any PC reasons.

Just thought I'd get that in before they start. "

That is interesting. I learned rubella first, and had to learn that German measles was another name for rubella.

I think it's good to avoid stigmatising names. Like, the Alpha variant of Covid, rather than the Kent or England variant. We don't want to make people think bad things about Kent.

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

Didn't Hanson sing a song about this?

Manchester (she/her)

"Didn't Hanson sing a song about this? "

oh lord

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Next the politically correct brigade will be renaming the Lassa virus because one person in the UK or America became offended by proxy on behalf of the people of Lassa.

"Next the politically correct brigade will be renaming the Lassa virus because one person in the UK or America became offended by proxy on behalf of the people of Lassa. "

Lassa isn't a place so hopefully that virus will be safe from a name change

I've never been to Wimbledon for fear of catching tennis elbow, so up yours cliff Richard!

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"Next the politically correct brigade will be renaming the Lassa virus because one person in the UK or America became offended by proxy on behalf of the people of Lassa.

Lassa isn't a place so hopefully that virus will be safe from a name change "

Lassa is a place.

Lassa fever was named that because it was first reported in Lassa, Nigeria.

"Next the politically correct brigade will be renaming the Lassa virus because one person in the UK or America became offended by proxy on behalf of the people of Lassa.

Lassa isn't a place so hopefully that virus will be safe from a name change

Lassa is a place.

Lassa fever was named that because it was first reported in Lassa, Nigeria."

I stand corrected. My bad.

By *esthetic21Man  over a year ago

west midlands

Thought only German people could get German measles

Tin town

"Thought only German people could get German measles "

Gegebenenfalls

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

"Thought only German people could get German measles "

Very true.

Unless you lick the seat in a Berlin toilet.

Lassa isn't a place so hopefully that virus will be safe from a name change "

The Lassa virus is named after the town in Nigeria by the same name, where it was first discovered.

[Removed by poster at 03/12/22 19:11:06]

Zika virus is another, though the forest in Uganda that it's named after has an extra 'i.'

Ebola virus is named after the river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo where it was first located (I had to look that up to see if it followed the pattern).

It's quite common in Virology to name a virus, or at least it's shortened version, after the place where it was first located. I think that's why people were confused as to why Trump kept saying Wuhan virus, but it's pretty normal to refer to viruses in that way. China Virus was a stretch and obviously derogatory.

West Nile Virus is another.

It does seem that if a virus is discovered in the third world, it's named after that place, which could be stigmatising. It's rare that new viruses are discovered in developed countries, but when they are they don't seem to follow the same naming conventions, such as Coronavirus or Covid-19. Then again SARS is 'Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome' but I believe originated in China or nearby, whereas MERS is 'Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome,' which is caused by another strain of Coronavirus.

Monkeypox, bird flu, the big scare they stirred over swine flu in 2009.

It's all a bit mish-mash.

Tin town

There's a new one I just saw on sky. The stigma virus.

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

"Zika virus is another, though the forest in Uganda that it's named after has an extra 'i.'

Ebola virus is named after the river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo where it was first located (I had to look that up to see if it followed the pattern).

It's quite common in Virology to name a virus, or at least it's shortened version, after the place where it was first located. I think that's why people were confused as to why Trump kept saying Wuhan virus, but it's pretty normal to refer to viruses in that way. China Virus was a stretch and obviously derogatory.

West Nile Virus is another.

It does seem that if a virus is discovered in the third world, it's named after that place, which could be stigmatising. It's rare that new viruses are discovered in developed countries, but when they are they don't seem to follow the same naming conventions, such as Coronavirus or Covid-19. Then again SARS is 'Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome' but I believe originated in China or nearby, whereas MERS is 'Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome,' which is caused by another strain of Coronavirus.

Monkeypox, bird flu, the big scare they stirred over swine flu in 2009.

It's all a bit mish-mash.

"

Was it of was not(cov19) discovered/first outbreak in China? Hence the China virus/wu-flu ect

"Was it of was not(cov19) discovered/first outbreak in China? Hence the China virus/wu-flu ect "

Yes it was first discovered in Wuhan and that's why I'm saying Trump would possibly refer to it as such because even though it's not technically called that, in Virology it's often the case that a virus is named after the location it was discovered in as with the examples I've given.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not criticising Trump on that point, I think Wuhan virus is an acceptable name. What I'm saying is when he was calling it the China Virus and Kung-Flu etc., that was overtly aggressive and intended to be an insult.

Of course now some scientists are saying that the virus actually originated in Laos and that samples were taken back to China which were then accidentally released due to negligence and poor containment. It's not clear.

Maybe in a few years Covid-19 will be renamed the Laos Virus, or maybe not because it's stigmatising Laos who knows. Now viruses are racist or stigmatising, they're all fair game for a new name.

» Add a new message to this topic