FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Should UK now be restricting Chinese visitors

Should UK now be restricting Chinese visitors

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ryan... OP   Man  over a year ago

1950's Original

It seems China now going for herd immunity....

Some countries now restricting Chinese visitors.. including shortly USA..

Should UK follow ..Chinese New year travellers and students influx upcoming..

What do you think ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aximumperversionMan  over a year ago

Nationwide

Let them all in,we have people coming across the channel and you’re all vaccinated now so there should be nothing to fear

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Charge Chinese students £22,200 then don't let them in ? They won't be happy

1950's Original

"Charge Chinese students £22,200 then don't let them in ? They won't be happy "

..or the universitys(finances) come to that!

By *ananabrumMan  over a year ago

castle bromwich

You're aware viruses evolve and mutate with each generation right?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It would make sense for the UK to have negative tests before departure for here but I can't see it happening. The swivel eyed lot who froth a lot, could be in danger of self-combustion

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No. We're in no position to judge or discriminate.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

It might be sensible to have pre flight testing for incoming visitors.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I went on a cruise in June last year departing from Liverpool. Everyone was tested at the docks and only people with a negative result were allowed to board. However, during the two week trip, 87 passengers got Covid. So a negative test before departure doesn't always mean you are Covid free.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan  over a year ago

Hastings

Would guess it will be a small percentage compared to the population and as hospitals are still seeing covid cases we still have it in the population. So why not let them in so long as they have health insurance. To cover there cost if sick with no vaccination.

By *ermbiMan  over a year ago

Ballyshannon

Restricting visitors from China will make no difference whatsoever. A waste of time policy

By *lecom1Couple  over a year ago

Stornoway

Yes my wife getting used to the hate with people seeing her and thinking she is Chinese.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Dejavu.. circa Jan 2020.

Seems the West in pissing Xi Jinping with threats over Russia and Taiwan is opening the floodgates with no sequence data as to variants.

Roll on February.. the UK have no plans to restrict travel and shutting down ONS data reporting early January.

Did I hear the NHS was struggling already?

Longridge

"Restricting visitors from China will make no difference whatsoever. A waste of time policy"

Stopping an infected person entering the country is surely another line of infection avoided within the UK population and a reduction of immune avoidance strain appearing.

No testing - it seems other countries believe there is value to it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Can’t get my head around this one - unless it’s a precaution in case China has developed another dodgy strain and we just don’t know what they have yet (as they haven’t told us…!)

Hastings

At work today sorry yesterday now.

Some one done a LFT test and was negative after the 30min time they got home tonight to find it had changed to possessive. So txt me I asked them to do a new one and bingo possessive so PCR tomorrow. But that might be a number of staff with it now ??

Longridge

"Can’t get my head around this one - unless it’s a precaution in case China has developed another dodgy strain and we just don’t know what they have yet (as they haven’t told us…!)"

Strains develop naturally and we were kind of lucky with Omicron. But not fully knowing what is heading our way is walking into a dark tunnel without a torch.

No doubt sequencing will be happening in Italy today and give a better heads up.

Is there any furlough cash left?

By *r-8-BBCMan  over a year ago

LONDON

"It seems China now going for herd immunity....

What do you think ?"

Yes

Central

"Can’t get my head around this one - unless it’s a precaution in case China has developed another dodgy strain and we just don’t know what they have yet (as they haven’t told us…!)

Strains develop naturally and we were kind of lucky with Omicron. But not fully knowing what is heading our way is walking into a dark tunnel without a torch.

No doubt sequencing will be happening in Italy today and give a better heads up.

Is there any furlough cash left?"

The greater the sequencing tests done, the better. It's a huge unknown, what mutations have been occurring in China.

High infection levels have been seen in travellers out of China, so that those countries better prepared, will likely have the lower impact levels.

Caution and monitoring is still wise.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Uk government have backtracked… the policy is now “under review”…….

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

No

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"Yes my wife getting used to the hate with people seeing her and thinking she is Chinese."

I am sorry to hear that and from someone who has to put up with discrimination iys always disgusting. Banning people whoever they are entering a so called democracy us always wrong.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Yes my wife getting used to the hate with people seeing her and thinking she is Chinese.

I am sorry to hear that and from someone who has to put up with discrimination iys always disgusting. Banning people whoever they are entering a so called democracy us always wrong."

That is a silly thing to say as there are all sorts of ailments that you are not allowed to cross borders with….

Some countries now restricting Chinese visitors.. including

shortly USA..

What do you think ?"

Yes

By *exleypeteMan  over a year ago

bexleyheath

Yes yes yes

Central

The majority of arriving passengers into Milan, Italy were infected.

Italy Finds No New Covid Variants In China Screening, thought it was BS!

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

We should anyway, China is a hostile nation, and Communism in general is cancer.

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"We should anyway, China is a hostile nation, and Communism in general is cancer."

Cancer? Hope you never get diagnosed

By *henicanidoMan  over a year ago

Kings Lynn

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read on other virus threads that New Zealand was applauded for closing its borders during the(last?)pandemic and the U.K should've done it instead of keeping ours open. If there's found to be a new strain in China what's wrong with trying to keep it out?

*I have no evidence to say there is a new strain over there just talking hypothetically*

1950's Original

"Can’t get my head around this one - unless it’s a precaution in case China has developed another dodgy strain and we just don’t know what they have yet (as they haven’t told us…!)

Is there any furlough cash left?"

£10.50 .... to be shared equally..

"Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read on other virus threads that New Zealand was applauded for closing its borders during the(last?)pandemic and the U.K should've done it instead of keeping ours open. If there's found to be a new strain in China what's wrong with trying to keep it out?

*I have no evidence to say there is a new strain over there just talking hypothetically*

"

Lockdown only slows things down - it isn’t a solution in itself and there is increasing evidence that it caused more harm than was originally envisaged. A more focussed lockdown, affecting only those clinically vulnerable people, would seem to make more sense if one was needed at all. Specifically, locking children down was detrimental and arguably fit healthy adults under, say, 45 had no reason to lock down.

Don’t shoot me on this one - I get that some people love locking down. It’s just that there are consequences which affect some groups more than others that you have to take into account.

By *henicanidoMan  over a year ago

Kings Lynn

"Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read on other virus threads that New Zealand was applauded for closing its borders during the(last?)pandemic and the U.K should've done it instead of keeping ours open. If there's found to be a new strain in China what's wrong with trying to keep it out?

Lockdown only slows things down - it isn’t a solution in itself and there is increasing evidence that it caused more harm than was originally envisaged. A more focussed lockdown, affecting only those clinically vulnerable people, would seem to make more sense if one was needed at all. Specifically, locking children down was detrimental and arguably fit healthy adults under, say, 45 had no reason to lock down.

Don’t shoot me on this one - I get that some people love locking down. It’s just that there are consequences which affect some groups more than others that you have to take into account. "

Agreed,though I was thinking more about keeping it out than locking people down.

By *alleyDaveMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

FFS, how long as some people going to keep letting covid run their lives. It's here to stay, just crack on with life and forget about it.

Hasn't all the lockdowns and restrictions made you realise life is for living instead of worrying about dying.?

I stopped worrying about covid a long time ago.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I think to be fair it makes sense to look at doing some restrictions to entry.. I'm anticipating that covid testing for travelling will become a thing again soon.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Sure. Let everyone in. What do we care about trying to limit infections of a disease that caused chaos for 2 years... Let them in. And lock ourselves down. Makes perfectly logical sense.

By *arleyfatboy2019Couple  over a year ago

exeter

It was interesting to read in the last couple of days that a flight into Europe from China was checked. 52% of the passengers were positive.

I personally don’t want another spike in covid here . I think we should test prior to take off.

This country has given up on COVID in effect treating it like cold/flu now - of course they're not going to restrict entry any more.

By *aptain VMan  over a year ago

Birstall, Leicester

What do you think ?"

Yes definitely

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

we should not accept any visitors from China until they have sorted out their public health & payed us compensation for exporting covid. Certainly not for the next 10 years

Hastings

"we should not accept any visitors from China until they have sorted out their public health & payed us compensation for exporting covid. Certainly not for the next 10 years "

Is the money in the pocket of the torest not enough with a week pound they would be spending more.

Central

"FFS, how long as some people going to keep letting covid run their lives. It's here to stay, just crack on with life and forget about it.

Hasn't all the lockdowns and restrictions made you realise life is for living instead of worrying about dying.?

I stopped worrying about covid a long time ago. "

Less living is possible, if you don't mitigate for the levels of harm to life that can occur. Burying heads in the sand is illogical

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

"we should not accept any visitors from China until they have sorted out their public health & payed us compensation for exporting covid. Certainly not for the next 10 years "

They gave us the original strain but then we gave them back omicron. The former had the potential to be controlled whilst the latter is a completely different order beast in terms of transmissibility.

A bit if diplomatic reciprocity would go a long way especially if it allows more serological surveillance of wildlife ( especially illegal) .

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

"Sure. Let everyone in. What do we care about trying to limit infections of a disease that caused chaos for 2 years... Let them in. And lock ourselves down. Makes perfectly logical sense. "

Yep, 2 years ago they said the virus wouldn't spread to the UK, wash your hands and carry on.

Tin town

"Sure. Let everyone in. What do we care about trying to limit infections of a disease that caused chaos for 2 years... Let them in. And lock ourselves down. Makes perfectly logical sense.

Yep, 2 years ago they said the virus wouldn't spread to the UK, wash your hands and carry on."

And what a pleasant two years its been for us all.

By *rotic-TouchTV/TS  over a year ago

doncaster

Definitely yes

Manchester (she/her)

"This country has given up on COVID in effect treating it like cold/flu now - of course they're not going to restrict entry any more. "

I think they might. Who needs consistency when they can play big tough boys and screw up hope for cooperation surrounding epidemiological surveillance?

Central

"This country has given up on COVID in effect treating it like cold/flu now - of course they're not going to restrict entry any more.

I think they might. Who needs consistency when they can play big tough boys and screw up hope for cooperation surrounding epidemiological surveillance? "

There's been fairly consistent ineptitude for the last few leaders

Reports now indicate some temporary testing measures may be introduced

Tin town

"This country has given up on COVID in effect treating it like cold/flu now - of course they're not going to restrict entry any more.

I think they might. Who needs consistency when they can play big tough boys and screw up hope for cooperation surrounding epidemiological surveillance?

Reports now indicate some temporary testing measures may be introduced "

Fuck me! They've only gone and done something half way logical. Although depends how well or if at all its enforced of course

Hastings

Reports now indicate some temporary testing measures may be introduced "

I guess it will be done as PCR and fit to fly like we had a year ago and policed by the airlines.

By *ay40Man  over a year ago

Kinross

"You're aware viruses evolve and mutate with each generation right?"

Well said, and obvious

There could be some rare and dangerous strains slipping the net and right into the UK.

I would encourage a full out Ban until China sorts out itself and also stops Lying regarding the number of deaths.

Until China opens up and tells the truth they can fuck right off and keep out of the UK

Manchester (she/her)

"You're aware viruses evolve and mutate with each generation right?

Well said, and obvious

There could be some rare and dangerous strains slipping the net and right into the UK.

I would encourage a full out Ban until China sorts out itself and also stops Lying regarding the number of deaths.

Until China opens up and tells the truth they can fuck right off and keep out of the UK "

So should Spain tell the UK the same thing, given all the Covid we've got here?

If not, why not?

Hastings

Well said, and obvious

Until China opens up and tells the truth they can fuck right off and keep out of the UK

If not, why not?"

Has Spain vaccinated or just gone for herd immunity

Manchester (she/her)

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

Has Spain vaccinated or just gone for herd immunity "

Irrelevant surely. Viruses mutate and there could be a rare and dangerous version of the disease in the UK.

Surely Spain should protect its populace from that potential washing up from our shores.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Too late to do anything about it. Strict quarantine two years ago might have worked. Now the only possibility would be proper masking, social distancing, hepa filters, and other halfway decent bio-security measures to reduce transmission of the myriad variants that are already rampant amongst the community.

As it is though, there will be no stopping continual infection and reinfection until enough people are permanently disabled to cause major economic problems and force governments to recognise the problem. So many people now suffering long term "flu", going to get worse and worse. Perhaps when 10 to 15% slowly dying with totally buggered immune systems... Being consumed by simple fungal infections... When Thrush becomes lethal... Sore throat a death sentence (Strep A anyone?)... Preventable diseases no longer preventable... All too late.

By *racyCockloverTV/TS  over a year ago

WC1N

Yes

By *otsMan  over a year ago

Higham

Yep keep em out full stop

By *r and Mrs KittyCouple  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Me personally l wouldn't let them in the UK . As we end up having another bloody lockdown

By *r and Mrs KittyCouple  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Me personally l wouldn't let them in the UK . As we end up having another bloody lockdown

1950's Original

It was all forseen by Father Ted

(Is it the Chinese we're after father )

Who gives a shit about COVID I think we’ve all heard enough about it don’t you?.

Tin town

"It was all forseen by Father Ted

(Is it the Chinese we're after father )

"

I hear you're a racist now father

Tin town

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

Irrelevant surely. Viruses mutate and there could be a rare and dangerous version of the disease in the UK.

Surely Spain should protect its populace from that potential washing up from our shores."

Do you think everyone should protect its populace from the potential deadly version washing up on their shores?

By *ide standMan  over a year ago

Runcorn

Complete ban until the current rate of infection is at our levels.

Central

"Complete ban until the current rate of infection is at our levels."

I think we would be waiting a loooong time, to get accurate data from China. The UK doesn't even test and monitor any longer.

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

No point. You restrict chinese visitors, what's stopping it coming from another country, we have thosands come across daily with no tests by boat.

It's just a waste of time and money. Stop testing everyone and ignore it, live with it, it's only a cold.

By *eliusMan  over a year ago

Henlow

"No. We're in no position to judge or discriminate."

Yes we are! Cases are rising in China due to low vaccination rates and mutations. We’re an island perfect barrier and we decked that up last time! So yes insist on negative tests with proof before entry to the UK - it’s out right to judge!

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

"No point. You restrict chinese visitors, what's stopping it coming from another country, we have thosands come across daily with no tests by boat.

It's just a waste of time and money. Stop testing everyone and ignore it, live with it, it's only a cold."

IT IS NOT A COLD I have had it twice its quite nasty, I know people who have died from it or have serious long Covid we cannot ignore it.

Manchester (she/her)

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

Surely Spain should protect its populace from that potential washing up from our shores.

Do you think everyone should protect its populace from the potential deadly version washing up on their shores? "

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that a virulent version can arise out of any infection.

Chinese mutations are no more or less of a worry than British mutations. If we're not worried about mutations within our population - and we clearly are not - then penalising the Chinese would seem to be about something other than evidence based policy.

Tin town

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-patients-no-longer-have-to-quarantine-in-hong-kong-as-restrictions-are-lifted-12775498

Not sure why the link is titled that but open it... Half of passengers from China on flight to Milan were covid positive. Pretty good reason to manage who we let run amock amongst us. We were bad enough... We don't want to make it worse surely.

Manchester (she/her)

"No. We're in no position to judge or discriminate.

Yes we are! Cases are rising in China due to low vaccination rates and mutations. We’re an island perfect barrier and we decked that up last time! So yes insist on negative tests with proof before entry to the UK - it’s out right to judge!"

We're an island with a high level of infection. A rising level of infection. We've been letting it run riot.

What's the point of keeping the Chinese out when we're letting everyone else in, and according to one recent estimate have about 3.5 million of our own infections right now?

'The government has announced a series of precautionary and temporary measures to further improve the UK’s ability to detect potential new variants of Covid from China, following an increase in cases there and the easing of their border measures next week.

Passengers arriving from China to England from 5 January will need to show a negative Covid-19 pre-departure test (PDT) taken no more than two days prior to departure. Although there are no direct flights from China to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, we are working with devolved nations to ensure this is implemented UK-wide as soon as possible.

The decision has been taken to introduce these measures specifically for China arrivals due to a lack of comprehensive health information shared by China. The situation remains under review and the UK is working with China on next steps. If there are improvements in information sharing and greater transparency then temporary measures will be reviewed.'

Manchester (she/her)

"https://news.sky.com/story/covid-patients-no-longer-have-to-quarantine-in-hong-kong-as-restrictions-are-lifted-12775498

Not sure why the link is titled that but open it... Half of passengers from China on flight to Milan were covid positive. Pretty good reason to manage who we let run amock amongst us. We were bad enough... We don't want to make it worse surely. "

How would it make it any worse?

We're letting it rip. Some prominent theories suggest that we need to repay our "immunity debt" by exposing ourselves to pathogens.

Why should a pathogen from China be subject to quarantine, but not from other countries?

Why should a Chinese business person have to be screened when a British business person is hacking up a lung in Tesco spreading the pathogen we're suddenly claiming to be scared of?

(Isn't it just a cold and we should be living our lives?)

Manchester (she/her)

"'The government has announced a series of precautionary and temporary measures to further improve the UK’s ability to detect potential new variants of Covid from China, following an increase in cases there and the easing of their border measures next week.

Passengers arriving from China to England from 5 January will need to show a negative Covid-19 pre-departure test (PDT) taken no more than two days prior to departure. Although there are no direct flights from China to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, we are working with devolved nations to ensure this is implemented UK-wide as soon as possible.

The decision has been taken to introduce these measures specifically for China arrivals due to a lack of comprehensive health information shared by China. The situation remains under review and the UK is working with China on next steps. If there are improvements in information sharing and greater transparency then temporary measures will be reviewed.'"

As health data is less and less carefully scrutinised in other countries, I look forward to consistency in policy and this either applying to all of them, or being abandoned for China.

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

China exporting covid again? Well why are you all worried? You’ve had your 3,4,5 boosters? Oh yeah they don’t work as advertised silly me time to hide behind the sofa wearing 23 masks (made in china) this is where the government “for your safety and convenience we need to introduce a digital vaccine passport/ID” but due to net ludicrous agenda 2030 your not allowed to fly but we’ll still keep the digital passport/ID.

Manchester (she/her)

"China exporting covid again? Well why are you all worried? You’ve had your 3,4,5 boosters? Oh yeah they don’t work as advertised silly me time to hide behind the sofa wearing 23 masks (made in china) this is where the government “for your safety and convenience we need to introduce a digital vaccine passport/ID” but due to net ludicrous agenda 2030 your not allowed to fly but we’ll still keep the digital passport/ID."

Looking forward to it

By *100Man  over a year ago

Essex

Can’t police the waters and a virus will get through from any country like before but all this bull shit is only a smoke screen as usual

chester

"China exporting covid again? Well why are you all worried? You’ve had your 3,4,5 boosters? Oh yeah they don’t work as advertised silly me time to hide behind the sofa wearing 23 masks (made in china) this is where the government “for your safety and convenience we need to introduce a digital vaccine passport/ID” but due to net ludicrous agenda 2030 your not allowed to fly but we’ll still keep the digital passport/ID.

Looking forward to it "

Glad someone is because I’m not and I will not comply with any of it

Manchester (she/her)

"China exporting covid again? Well why are you all worried? You’ve had your 3,4,5 boosters? Oh yeah they don’t work as advertised silly me time to hide behind the sofa wearing 23 masks (made in china) this is where the government “for your safety and convenience we need to introduce a digital vaccine passport/ID” but due to net ludicrous agenda 2030 your not allowed to fly but we’ll still keep the digital passport/ID.

Looking forward to it

Glad someone is because I’m not and I will not comply with any of it"

It'll be entertaining to see how you manage to circumvent such a thing. I'll bring popcorn.

By *anda and CatCouple  over a year ago

Christ, damned if you do damned if you don't! According to China they've had very few deaths and covid due to their complete lockdowns. I'm not talking the complete lockdowns we had here, we're talking doors nailed shut, cities under military control! The true numbers are however debatable! Now everyone suddenly starts mixing there and suddenly escape to the rest of the world. Yes we all have developed immunity from as some put it, "just a cold" (not my words, used previously in this thread) but I bet many in this thread that are saying it's wrong were the very ones saying we should have closed our borders earlier in 2022. Currently covid is rife here, certainly not as serious as it was, we are living with it but why tempt fate by bringing in limitless fresh cases? Regardless if you think it's just a cold or a serious health condition, why risk it? By our borders requesting a negative test prior to arrival will have detrimental effect to very few in this country compared to the people it effected when we had to provide them.

Manchester (she/her)

"Christ, damned if you do damned if you don't! According to China they've had very few deaths and covid due to their complete lockdowns. I'm not talking the complete lockdowns we had here, we're talking doors nailed shut, cities under military control! The true numbers are however debatable! Now everyone suddenly starts mixing there and suddenly escape to the rest of the world. Yes we all have developed immunity from as some put it, "just a cold" (not my words, used previously in this thread) but I bet many in this thread that are saying it's wrong were the very ones saying we should have closed our borders earlier in 2022. Currently covid is rife here, certainly not as serious as it was, we are living with it but why tempt fate by bringing in limitless fresh cases? Regardless if you think it's just a cold or a serious health condition, why risk it? By our borders requesting a negative test prior to arrival will have detrimental effect to very few in this country compared to the people it effected when we had to provide them."

If we've developed immunity, why would we need to apply such measures?

Either we're worried about it or we're not.

I thought we weren't.

If we are worried, why don't we test people from other countries?

chester

Looking forward to it

It'll be entertaining to see how you manage to circumvent such a thing. I'll bring popcorn."

Anyway possible I can make sure you’ve got a drink with that popcorn

Manchester (she/her)

Looking forward to it

It'll be entertaining to see how you manage to circumvent such a thing. I'll bring popcorn.

Anyway possible I can make sure you’ve got a drink with that popcorn "

I'll sort myself, thanks.

I'm sure you'll be far too busy somehow getting on a plane that's been prohibited. Because it'll take off with the magic words I will not comply

chester

Looking forward to it

Anyway possible I can make sure you’ve got a drink with that popcorn

I'll sort myself, thanks.

I'm sure you'll be far too busy somehow getting on a plane that's been prohibited. Because it'll take off with the magic words I will not comply "

did I say anything about wanting to get on a plane, but I’ll be doing something

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

25K passengers a week come into the country from China

There are currently according the zoe app ( which has be proven to really accurate) 250 k cases of Covid daily- c 1.5 million a week or 1:50 people.

Sorry but statistically the risk is ridiculously low compared to numbers travelling from other countries.

By *ozapperMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

We are requesting a PCR test as of 5th Jan..

Manchester (she/her)

"We are requesting a PCR test as of 5th Jan.. "

Oh good, so after the horse has bolted. Again

"No point. You restrict chinese visitors, what's stopping it coming from another country, we have thosands come across daily with no tests by boat.

It's just a waste of time and money. Stop testing everyone and ignore it, live with it, it's only a cold."

It's not only a cold. Your ignorance is staggering.

Don't worry everyone is vaccinated in the UK so we're immune. Oh wait...

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

The UK authorities are now going to react in the same way they had done before: too little, too late!

The internal Chinese situation, right now, is at crisis point; I don't want to go back to a full lockdown here.

By *orfolk777Man  over a year ago

Norwich

Did we learn nothing 3 years ago?

Central

"Did we learn nothing 3 years ago?"

I think some have but this government and some others

Kinross

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?"

What has Spain got to do with the UK protecting its borders from Chinese infection.

Spain can do what ever it wants and seems fit.

If Spain opens its doors to the Chinese then maybe we should fuck the Spanish off too.

Its about time the UK took a lead roll for the health security of our nation and not simply follow other examples.

We should lead from the front.

Manchester (she/her)

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

What has Spain got to do with the UK protecting its borders from Chinese infection.

If Spain opens its doors to the Chinese then maybe we should fuck the Spanish off too.

Its about time the UK took a lead roll for the health security of our nation and not simply follow other examples.

We should lead from the front."

But the UK is absolutely riddled with Covid. Which, internally, we're doing fuck all about.

It's like excluding dogs because they might have fleas from your house, when the dogs, the cats, and the people in your house are all so flea ridden that their skin is crusty.

Kinross

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

But the UK is absolutely riddled with Covid. Which, internally, we're doing fuck all about.

It's like excluding dogs because they might have fleas from your house, when the dogs, the cats, and the people in your house are all so flea ridden that their skin is crusty."

We exclude dogs with Rabies.

go think about that whilst you itch your flea bite.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

What good will it do now? A new worse variant could emerge anywhere. Sure there’s more potential in China’s massive population but with global winding down of restrictions and testing any such variant would be global in a blink. Even without any direct flights from China it would still arrive on our shores.

Kinross

"What good will it do now? A new worse variant could emerge anywhere. Sure there’s more potential in China’s massive population but with global winding down of restrictions and testing any such variant would be global in a blink. Even without any direct flights from China it would still arrive on our shores. "

You do not know what China has and how badly they are effected as they blatantly lie on the World stage.

They point blank refuse to share numbers of effected or strains involved.

Would you welcome a blatant liar into your home, one that wishes harm on you?

Manchester (she/her)

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

It's like excluding dogs because they might have fleas from your house, when the dogs, the cats, and the people in your house are all so flea ridden that their skin is crusty.

go think about that whilst you itch your flea bite. "

No fleas here. I mitigate against disease.

The UK, on the other hand, claiming some panic over Covid from China, when Covid in the UK is running rampant, is as pathetic as it is transparent.

Kinross

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

The UK, on the other hand, claiming some panic over Covid from China, when Covid in the UK is running rampant, is as pathetic as it is transparent."

if you keep telling yourself that, you might just about believe it

Manchester (she/her)

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

The UK, on the other hand, claiming some panic over Covid from China, when Covid in the UK is running rampant, is as pathetic as it is transparent.

if you keep telling yourself that, you might just about believe it "

So. What's the difference between the unmitigated spread of Covid here, and the Covid in China?

Tin town

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

So. What's the difference between the unmitigated spread of Covid here, and the Covid in China?"

Ones in China for which we have no responsibility. Ones in the UK for which we do. Hence efforts to try and manage its spread. Albeit pathetic efforts. If 50 per cent of a flight have it. Why would letting it happen unfettered be considered a good thing to do?

I'm sure I remember you arguing a few years ago for greater attempts to control it.

Kinross

Dont waste your time trying to explain to her, you would be as well knocking on a plank of wood

Manchester (she/her)

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

So. What's the difference between the unmitigated spread of Covid here, and the Covid in China?

Ones in China for which we have no responsibility. Ones in the UK for which we do. Hence efforts to try and manage its spread. Albeit pathetic efforts. If 50 per cent of a flight have it. Why would letting it happen unfettered be considered a good thing to do?

I'm sure I remember you arguing a few years ago for greater attempts to control it. "

At the beginning it made sense to keep it out of the country and stop it from spreading here.

Now it's "just a cold, post pandemic, everyone has it, get on with life", I see absolutely zero rationale to apply any measure to China that we don't apply to your local Chinese takeaway.

If it's just a cold, it's also just a cold when it flies in from China.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

As long as the testing is done their end and they pay for it.

I can't see the government restricting Chinese visitors particularly students who bring in a massive amount of income to the university's.

Plus when they arrive they also spend spend spend.

Tin town

"As long as the testing is done their end and they pay for it.

I can't see the government restricting Chinese visitors particularly students who bring in a massive amount of income to the university's.

"

It's not stopping anyone studying though is it? All it's saying is delay for a few days till you're not carrying. Hardly an economic catastrophe.

Tin town

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

I'm sure I remember you arguing a few years ago for greater attempts to control it.

At the beginning it made sense to keep it out of the country and stop it from spreading here.

Now it's "just a cold, post pandemic, everyone has it, get on with life", I see absolutely zero rationale to apply any measure to China that we don't apply to your local Chinese takeaway.

If it's just a cold, it's also just a cold when it flies in from China."

So you're arguing its just a cold now?

Manchester (she/her)

"As long as the testing is done their end and they pay for it.

It's not stopping anyone studying though is it? All it's saying is delay for a few days till you're not carrying. Hardly an economic catastrophe. "

I just don't see any rationale that makes sense.

It's a bit like trying to keep out English speakers.

Why the fuck would you, there are millions here already.

There are also millions of active Covid infections.

Manchester (she/her)

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

So you're arguing its just a cold now? "

No.

*If* the current strategy is "it's just a cold, get on with life", then why would we say a "cold" from China should be subject to quarantine controls?

If it's treated like a cold when it happens in Manchester, Melbourne, Milan, or Milwaukee and then comes into the UK, why is it suddenly a big deal when it comes from Shanghai?

By *avingabreakMan  over a year ago

Near the Border

For the last three days the UK Gov have been saying its under review on the BBC news. Its now NYE and the country will shut down till 2nd if not longer. Talk about dragging it out.

The gov should insist on full tests at travellers cost until reviewed in NY.

Remember who economically gained thru the pandemic, another round of that we don't need.

Tin town

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

No.

*If* the current strategy is "it's just a cold, get on with life", then why would we say a "cold" from China should be subject to quarantine controls?

If it's treated like a cold when it happens in Manchester, Melbourne, Milan, or Milwaukee and then comes into the UK, why is it suddenly a big deal when it comes from Shanghai?"

So have you seen any announcement from hsa or government saying the strategy is that its just a cold?

Manchester (she/her)

Well said, and obvious

If not, why not?

No.

If it's treated like a cold when it happens in Manchester, Melbourne, Milan, or Milwaukee and then comes into the UK, why is it suddenly a big deal when it comes from Shanghai?

So have you seen any announcement from hsa or government saying the strategy is that its just a cold? "

No.

I'm using the language that's being used on the forum. However, the government have weakened mitigations, stopped isolation, encouraged children to come in to school without testing, said things like "post pandemic", etc.

Given these things, and the fact that you can fly Covid positive from any other country into the UK, why should measures apply just from China?

I'm not arguing it's a cold. I'm not arguing the UK's strategy is correct. I'm saying that applying the policy to *just* China is wildly illogical on the basis of disease control.

Tin town

Just in case folks haven't seen it... There's a fairly standard BBC level op Ed piece here... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/59461861

Seems you can Pick your opinion and find a scientist to back it up. Yes, no, maybe, errrr.

By *alking miracleMan  over a year ago

Godalming

When will people realise that we are not meant to live forever. People are meant to die.

It's natural selection and survival of the fittest. We are messing with evolution and slowing down the advancement of the human population.

I big cat will always go for the weakest/slowest animal of the back of the pack they stalk to allow the rest to carry on a breed. If the whole heard was bred from the weaker/slower animal at the back, would the lion just take one animal or would it slaughter the whole pack ? Now that animal becomes extinct

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

"When will people realise that we are not meant to live forever. People are meant to die.

It's natural selection and survival of the fittest. We are messing with evolution and slowing down the advancement of the human population.

I big cat will always go for the weakest/slowest animal of the back of the pack they stalk to allow the rest to carry on a breed. If the whole heard was bred from the weaker/slower animal at the back, would the lion just take one animal or would it slaughter the whole pack ? Now that animal becomes extinct "

So if you got hit by a car you'd be happy enough to be left at the side of the road to die and feed the crows ?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"When will people realise that we are not meant to live forever. People are meant to die.

I big cat will always go for the weakest/slowest animal of the back of the pack they stalk to allow the rest to carry on a breed. If the whole heard was bred from the weaker/slower animal at the back, would the lion just take one animal or would it slaughter the whole pack ? Now that animal becomes extinct "

Thankfully humans have developed empathy (mostly), so we don't have to just let people die because we can't be arsed to do something about it.

Tin town

I big cat will always go for the weakest/slowest animal of the back of the pack they stalk to allow the rest to carry on a breed. If the whole heard was bred from the weaker/slower animal at the back, would the lion just take one animal or would it slaughter the whole pack ? Now that animal becomes extinct

So if you got hit by a car you'd be happy enough to be left at the side of the road to die and feed the crows ?"

With the ambulance strikes might be more truth to that

By *alking miracleMan  over a year ago

Godalming

So if you got hit by a car you'd be happy enough to be left at the side of the road to die and feed the crows ?"

the answer is yes and I have a DNR bracelet to say exactly that

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Vaccines to combat the rising threat of pandemics need to synergistically combined with management skills of 200+ respective nation states, under the auspices of the WHO, World Health Organisation, to enhance the well-being and lifespans of the planet's population.

First world nations, that naturally includes the UK and Ireland, are in a much better position to enhance the efficacy of vaccines because of their wealth and control systems.

The UK was too tardy in responding to the first recent pandemic wave and do not appear to be again proactively managing the threat from China, where the infection rate is now extraordinarily high and rising.

Epidemiologists at the WHO must be shakjng their head in disbelief at the lack of effective action in China, and in the UK.

The Irish authorities are responding as best they can at present, but are sounding alarm bells about the potential of the Irish hospital system, public and private, being rapidly overwhelmed in early 2023.

If China is again a seat of infection, travel needs to be stemmed, immediately and control measured put in place to protect us all

Dithering and political correctness is unwise.

Yes definitely theve not been up p front so yes only allow essential travlers test and quarantine

Tin town

"Vaccines to combat the rising threat of pandemics need to synergistically combined with management skills of 200+ respective nation states, under the auspices of the WHO, World Health Organisation, to enhance the well-being and lifespans of the planet's population.

First world nations, that naturally includes the UK and Ireland, are in a much better position to enhance the efficacy of vaccines because of their wealth and control systems.

The UK was too tardy in responding to the first recent pandemic wave and do not appear to be again proactively managing the threat from China, where the infection rate is now extraordinarily high and rising.

Epidemiologists at the WHO must be shakjng their head in disbelief at the lack of effective action in China, and in the UK.

The Irish authorities are responding as best they can at present, but are sounding alarm bells about the potential of the Irish hospital system, public and private, being rapidly overwhelmed in early 2023.

If China is again a seat of infection, travel needs to be stemmed, immediately and control measured put in place to protect us all

Dithering and political correctness is unwise. "

It's a fairly standard response now to claim health services will be over whelmed, and therefore we must do something, that's a wolfs cry that's been going on for the last 20 years at least. It's the equivalent of the "computer says no" response. Health services will be overwhelmed... What do they expect people to do when making that pronouncement? Panic!

teleford

"What good will it do now? A new worse variant could emerge anywhere. Sure there’s more potential in China’s massive population but with global winding down of restrictions and testing any such variant would be global in a blink. Even without any direct flights from China it would still arrive on our shores.

You do not know what China has and how badly they are effected as they blatantly lie on the World stage.

They point blank refuse to share numbers of effected or strains involved.

Would you welcome a blatant liar into your home, one that wishes harm on you?"

Assuming Putin doesn’t go nuclear before, we will be at war with China in my lifetime, sadly the course to a global conflict now looks pretty much inevitable. My point was I don’t think stopping direct flights from China will give us much protection against disease. Protection against liars putting us on course for war, that’s a different debate

teleford

[Removed by poster at 01/01/23 16:08:43]

teleford

So if you got hit by a car you'd be happy enough to be left at the side of the road to die and feed the crows ? the answer is yes and I have a DNR bracelet to say exactly that"

As we don’t have lions, should we euthanise the old the sick and the disabled? If you die at 50 or live to 90 you are likely not breeding during those years. Once you stop rearing young you cease to have an evolutionary role, positive or negative.

Stockport

"Vaccines to combat the rising threat of pandemics need to synergistically combined with management skills of 200+ respective nation states, under the auspices of the WHO, World Health Organisation, to enhance the well-being and lifespans of the planet's population.

Dithering and political correctness is unwise. "

It's too late already to stop any new strain that might be coming over from China, any political posturing about screening flights from just a single country is merely bullshit to point fingers anywhere but at the shortcomings of our own government. We know from all the experience of two years ago that the only way to prevent a new virus (strain) from entering a country is a 100% quarantine at the border, prior to even knowing there is a new strain. By the time that our government started pontificating about doing something, it is absolutely guaranteed that the strain has already got out of china into other countries. Screening or halting flights from just China is then equivalent to standing at your front door during a flood and shouting "go back" while the water is already coming in through every window...

I am not saying to do nothing. I am only saying that if we are to do anything to even slow down the spread of any new viral strain, we have to do something useful. The fact is that yes, China is a seat of infection. However, every single country in the world is now a seat of infection, including the UK. So whatever measures are used to attempt controlling the spread, they have to be applied uniformly, otherwise they protect nobody at all.

You can’t control a virus. It will always get across a border as you can’t seal it forever. Numerous countries have tried this over the past few years and it didn’t work. We don’t need more experiments on it.

Most people won’t get seriously sick from covid - we also know this from the past few years. Protect the clinically vulnerable but let the rest get on with their lives. That is how immune systems work!

Stockport

"Most people won’t get seriously sick from covid - we also know this from the past few years. Protect the clinically vulnerable but let the rest get on with their lives. That is how immune systems work! "

What we actually know now is that covid seriously fucks around with the immune system, and that even when the initial apparent symptoms are gone, the body is much more open to other infections for a very long period - longer than the current average interval between re-infections with covid. The "immune debt" that many like to suggest as the reason for the current surge in diseases is basically just bollocks, as all these current sicknesses are actually greatest in those that didn't ever mask up or isolate.

Everything that real scientists know about how the immune system works, what covid does to the immune system, and the cold hard data on how vast numbers are now getting more and more sick, says that covid is going to cause most people to get seriously ill. And unless new treatments are found quickly, the death rate will get higher and higher.

Remember that the initial symptoms of HIV are just a low grade flu type illness, with apparent total recovery in a couple of weeks. Then after several years, the immune system starts to fail, until eventually full blown AIDS erupts and even a cold or a skin infection like athletes foot can totally consume the body. Of course we now have some very good treatments for HIV, which only took 30 years to develop.

Covid looks more like an airborne version of HIV every day. Governments are starting to panic now, and trying to point fingers at China again. In six months to a year, the general public will finally catch on - but it will be far too late for far too many people.

This is literally tinfoil hat stuff. Covid is a coronavirus. There are literally thousands of them which we have been exposed to for years and years. CV19 is a nasty one but it is still a resp virus. Long covid is a variant on chronic fatigue syndrome / ME which was always thought to have a post-viral element.

The post above is not based on any peer reviewed scientific paper I have read so if I am missing out I’d be grateful for a reference. Thanks.

Manchester (she/her)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/03/travellers-from-china-who-test-positive-in-uk-for-covid-will-not-need-to-isolate?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Interesting. How will this protect anyone, even assuming that there's a worse version of Covid coming out of China?

Central

"This is literally tinfoil hat stuff. Covid is a coronavirus. There are literally thousands of them which we have been exposed to for years and years. CV19 is a nasty one but it is still a resp virus. Long covid is a variant on chronic fatigue syndrome / ME which was always thought to have a post-viral element.

The post above is not based on any peer reviewed scientific paper I have read so if I am missing out I’d be grateful for a reference. Thanks. "

Just because a virus is within an artificial grouping of viruses, that we created based on their physical attributes, doesn't mean there's any other correlation between them, nor that they are all equal in their effects etc.

Long Covid may share some symptoms with ME but it's very different and litter understood, potentially causing impacts to organs etc. It may be several conditions.

Manchester (she/her)

"This is literally tinfoil hat stuff. Covid is a coronavirus. There are literally thousands of them which we have been exposed to for years and years. CV19 is a nasty one but it is still a resp virus. Long covid is a variant on chronic fatigue syndrome / ME which was always thought to have a post-viral element.

The post above is not based on any peer reviewed scientific paper I have read so if I am missing out I’d be grateful for a reference. Thanks.

Just because a virus is within an artificial grouping of viruses, that we created based on their physical attributes, doesn't mean there's any other correlation between them, nor that they are all equal in their effects etc.

Long Covid may share some symptoms with ME but it's very different and litter understood, potentially causing impacts to organs etc. It may be several conditions. "

MERS is also a coronavirus... Its fatality rate is apparently about 35%.

To further your point. Not all viruses in a class are equal in their effects.

Stockport

The post above is not based on any peer reviewed scientific paper I have read so if I am missing out I’d be grateful for a reference. Thanks. "

The sentence "covid is a coronavirus" is true. Every other sentence in the above is utter nonsense that seeks to minimalise the waves of illness that are self-evident to any person that looks outside their front door. But fine, you do you. My cautious approach means that I will be alive and (for my age) healthy, when you are dying of multiple infections that your immune system can no longer handle. It's fine to play pretend, but when the skeletal guy with the big scythe comes calling there's no lying to him.

You haven’t taken me up on my bet with you on the other thread. If what you say is true then the majority of the world’s population will be disabled in a few years. Shall we revisit this in 2026? I bet the world population is still growing in a non-disabled way…

Manchester (she/her)

"You haven’t taken me up on my bet with you on the other thread. If what you say is true then the majority of the world’s population will be disabled in a few years. Shall we revisit this in 2026? I bet the world population is still growing in a non-disabled way…"

I think we're all placing our bets now, whether formally or otherwise.

No need to record it, our health will be determined by our actions.

By *ilfCrumpet9Man  over a year ago

Wirral

Wear a mask protect yourself

Yes we and the rest of the World should restrict them from travelling. Them barstards started this lot meddling with viruses then blaming it on the poor folk in the wet markets. The twats can't even be honest about the figures they publish. Why should they be allowed to travel ?

By *nal-DelightTV/TS  over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Fuck it, who cares.

seb would have been all over this thread lol

No and fucking why ?

» Add a new message to this topic