FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > The super fungal apocalypse.

The super fungal apocalypse.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I dont know much about it, but I heard that apparently experts are saying that a super fungus could be the next global threat, it didnt say so much more about it, do you know more about it? It sounds more like a scifi movie doesnt it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eadingCouple1963Couple  over a year ago

Reading

"I dont know much about it, but I heard that apparently experts are saying that a super fungus could be the next global threat, it didnt say so much more about it, do you know more about it? It sounds more like a scifi movie doesnt it?"

“Heard” where, YouTube?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

been watching too much of last of us lol

By *uv2kissMan  over a year ago

fenland

I suggest you watch " the last of us "

It's based on a video game ( I had no idea ) but it's all about a global fungus turning people into something not human

By *igNick1381Man  over a year ago

BRIDGEND

Yeah, just play the last of us, it's great

It's based on the cordyceps fungus if I remember which can affect insects and zombify them

Great game, great story

"I dont know much about it, but I heard that apparently experts are saying that a super fungus could be the next global threat, it didnt say so much more about it, do you know more about it? It sounds more like a scifi movie doesnt it?

“Heard” where, YouTube?"

I meant. I read it on the express site online.

"been watching too much of last of us lol"
I havent seen that one yet lol.

"I suggest you watch " the last of us "

It's based on a video game ( I had no idea ) but it's all about a global fungus turning people into something not human"

Yes. I will watch that one too and same. I didnt know that it was based on a video game either, maybe like zombies it could be.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Particularly notable problems with fungal infections have been noticed since the Delta wave in India. It's not new.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

"I dont know much about it, but I heard that apparently experts are saying that a super fungus could be the next global threat, it didnt say so much more about it, do you know more about it? It sounds more like a scifi movie doesnt it?"
These experts like to time their doom mongering to appropriate times to get these sites clicks it seems. Hugely popular game series gets a TV series based on it on one of tv's biggest networks, suddenly the entire concept is the next world ender according to "experts"

I'm not worried. Humans have existed alongside fungi for the entirety of our existence. If it was going to happen it would have by now.

By *XZRMan  over a year ago

Highland / Edin

That's enough internet for me today.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"I dont know much about it, but I heard that apparently experts are saying that a super fungus could be the next global threat, it didnt say so much more about it, do you know more about it? It sounds more like a scifi movie doesnt it?

“Heard” where, YouTube?I meant. I read it on the express site online."

There's your answer.

It's in the express. It lacks detail. It's bollocks. Case closed.

Abject bollocks

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

[Removed by poster at 25/01/23 16:22:31]

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Many things could cause an 'apocalypse', including currently unknown fungal, viral or other agents. Maybe even currently known agents. Obviously natural disasters too, such as volcanic or earthquake activities. Currently humans are doing fairly well at stoking things against us and other lifeforms

I can be very certain that the likes of the Daily Express and Mail, will not be the forum that such data will be published within. Look instead to reputable scientific sources, Shag.

Better still, look to how most of our populist politicians are funded and their sources. You will likely see organisations and individuals who care not a jot for us and our wellbeing.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Triffids.

Teesside

Does it really matter? We will inevitably be mostly wiped out when another massive rock from space sends us back to the stone age. It's happened countless times before and will happen again.

That's literally the last of us lol

By *hirleyMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Since fungi has been around for nearly all the habitable lifespan of earth, I fail to see how it would 'choose' now to demolish other organisms, especially as those organisms feed it and keep it.

More information needed

Manchester (she/her)

"Since fungi has been around for nearly all the habitable lifespan of earth, I fail to see how it would 'choose' now to demolish other organisms, especially as those organisms feed it and keep it.

More information needed "

Decades of overuse of medications and organisms evolving to evade them?

somewhere

"Does it really matter? We will inevitably be mostly wiped out when another massive rock from space sends us back to the stone age. It's happened countless times before and will happen again."

The last mass extinction was caused by volcanic activity, not an asteroid impact. This similarly to the 4 previous ones if my memory serves me.

somewhere

"Since fungi has been around for nearly all the habitable lifespan of earth, I fail to see how it would 'choose' now to demolish other organisms, especially as those organisms feed it and keep it.

More information needed

Decades of overuse of medications and organisms evolving to evade them?"

I want to know what you mean by "overuse" and "evade"

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

"Does it really matter? We will inevitably be mostly wiped out when another massive rock from space sends us back to the stone age. It's happened countless times before and will happen again.

The last mass extinction was caused by volcanic activity, not an asteroid impact. This similarly to the 4 previous ones if my memory serves me."

You're older than you look.

Winston

Manchester (she/her)

More information needed

Decades of overuse of medications and organisms evolving to evade them? I want to know what you mean by "overuse" and "evade""

I suspect a basic skim over the problem of antibiotic resistance will give you the answer you need.

The same principles apply to other microbials

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Maybe it's to do with the new stuff that IKEA are going to be using as packaging

By *ippo888Man  over a year ago

Dundee

What a Lot of media bullshit scaremongering

By *anandleiaCouple  over a year ago

Sherborne

That’s one way to get rid of an erection. And to think, we normally like fun-guys!

By *ice_pair69Couple  over a year ago

Cambs

Yep like others say,tv program by HBO ….the next walking dead ! Haha

Great show albeit a bit dragged out

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Yep like others say,tv program by HBO ….the next walking dead ! Haha

Great show albeit a bit dragged out "

I watched 20 minutes and switched it off.... It looks same as walking dead and I saw too much of that.

By *ice_pair69Couple  over a year ago

Cambs

Nothing else on… the RIG , what a flop ! Hahah similar ,fungi Mother Nature etc

Tin town

"Nothing else on… the RIG , what a flop ! Hahah similar ,fungi Mother Nature etc "

I tried the rig too but got 1 and a half episodes in... Seemed like a large budget version of Dr who.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

We invited a mushroom to our last party because he was supposed to be a, funguy

Did Bill gates announce it?

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

And the government is introducing compulsory squid games to cull the human race

Probably coming from the BBC,they need another pandemic to scaremonger about

Teesside

"Does it really matter? We will inevitably be mostly wiped out when another massive rock from space sends us back to the stone age. It's happened countless times before and will happen again.

The last mass extinction was caused by volcanic activity, not an asteroid impact. This similarly to the 4 previous ones if my memory serves me."

So much better to be killed by molten rock from below than icy space rock from above

The mounting evidence for a comet impact around 11k to 12.6k years ago(younger dryas event) is slowly looking more likely. It wiped out a lot of species from earth and potentially had the earth human population down to a few thousand.

By *ormalfornorfolkMan  over a year ago

Norwich

Article on this very topic…

https://theconversation.com/the-last-of-us-fungal-infections-really-can-kill-and-theyre-getting-more-dangerous-198184

"I suggest you watch " the last of us "

It's based on a video game ( I had no idea ) but it's all about a global fungus turning people into something not human"

Basically another Zombie theme.

You know, the funny thing is cordyceps are seen as a valuable herbal medicine in traditional Chinese medicine, and are thus VERY expensive.

People put them into soups or even simply steep them in hot water and drink the resultant "tea".

A 2016 BBC article put a kilo of cordyceps at USD 20,000.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20161125-the-worms-that-cost-20000-a-kilo

By 2021, 1 pound of the same stuff (slightly less than 500g) can go for USD 63,000!

https://www.businessinsider.com/caterpillar-fungus-expensive-most-valuable-parasite-2019-3?r=US&IR=T

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

SFA ok

SFA ok

Super fungal apolcolyopse

SFA ok.

Ps Ive got a city and guilds

Tin town

Is that why my athletes foot just flared up?

By *nwrap4funMan  over a year ago

Ireland

Youv been watching the last of us then ... Haven't you?

Probably true. People in the west don't want to take advice...if you say no, the auto response is, you can't tell me that. I have rights etc

Anyway, if you want some sci-fi dooms day stay, I suggest watching the strain (Disney have it or any other dodgy box site

By *enuineguy76Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

must be linked to climate change !

By *enuineguy76Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

must be linked to climate change !

Fungus has never been a more wonderfully enormous threat to big pharma, if that's what you mean

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

More information needed "

Fungal infections are a lot more subtle than people turning into giant walking mushrooms. Half the skin conditions that humans get are actually fungus things. Anyone who doesn't have access to clean washing water and dry clothing will eventually get fungal infections. In the first world war huge numbers of soldiers lost limbs or died because of their flesh being eaten away and rotting.

Fungal infections are actually incredibly hard to kill off totally, as there are very few treatments that will destroy fungus cells that do not also destroy animal tissue - I think there are only about three known anti-fungal chemicals that can safely be applied to humans, and even those are toxic if over used. This is why something as simple as athletes foot is a bitch to get totally rid of.

Mostly funguses co-exist with humans, have done with the animal kingdom for millions of years, rotting bits of the body around the edges but generally not causing any major damage. However in humans with severely damaged immune systems - such as those with advanced AIDS, or potentially those who have had repeated and frequent other types of viral infection - even athletes foot or thrush can be fatal conditions.

By *ister_ee_1981Man  over a year ago

San Fran Exeter

Apologies for going slighty off topic, but this thread title sounds like it should be the name of a Muse album!

Stockport

"Apologies for going slighty off topic, but this thread title sounds like it should be the name of a Muse album! "

Isn't it the name of a Welsh band?

Stockport

"Apologies for going slighty off topic, but this thread title sounds like it should be the name of a Muse album!

Isn't it the name of a Welsh band?"

Uh, sorry, that was the Super Furry Animals...

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I, for one, welcome our new mushroomy overlords.

Manchester (she/her)

"I, for one, welcome our new mushroomy overlords. "

Do humans also go nicely with chicken, bacon, leeks and cream?

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

I’ve heard we taste like pork. Longpig.

somewhere

More information needed

Fungal infections are a lot more subtle than people turning into giant walking mushrooms. Half the skin conditions that humans get are actually fungus things. Anyone who doesn't have access to clean washing water and dry clothing will eventually get fungal infections. In the first world war huge numbers of soldiers lost limbs or died because of their flesh being eaten away and rotting.

Fungal infections are actually incredibly hard to kill off totally, as there are very few treatments that will destroy fungus cells that do not also destroy animal tissue - I think there are only about three known anti-fungal chemicals that can safely be applied to humans, and even those are toxic if over used. This is why something as simple as athletes foot is a bitch to get totally rid of.

Mostly funguses co-exist with humans, have done with the animal kingdom for millions of years, rotting bits of the body around the edges but generally not causing any major damage. However in humans with severely damaged immune systems - such as those with advanced AIDS, or potentially those who have had repeated and frequent other types of viral infection - even athletes foot or thrush can be fatal conditions."

I can see what you're saying, my problem with the idea that a fungal growth is going to cause mass infections to humans is just not likely. Ecosystems are in balance with each other and that's how it's always been, most definitely in the case of fungi.

By *EloveMan  over a year ago

the Pool of Life

Well they were in balance until labs leak ,ahem ,and we blame animals markets. Deplatformed if we express otherwise. Until the evidence kicks in.

Sorry off topic, weres my tin hat, hold on I leave

By *andaloriansCouple  over a year ago

Malvern

There was another film way before "last of us". A british film about a zombie fungus. Had a girl who was a zombie but a goodie. Banging film

S

Tin town

"I’ve heard we taste like pork. Longpig. "

Chicken. Everything always tastes like chicken

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

"I’ve heard we taste like pork. Longpig.

Chicken. Everything always tastes like chicken"

Except chicken.

Winston

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Have a read and sleep tonight.

BBC News - The Last of Us: Could a fungal pandemic turn us all into zombies?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64402102

Tin town

"I’ve heard we taste like pork. Longpig.

Chicken. Everything always tastes like chicken

Except chicken.

Winston "

One of life's conundrums!

"been watching too much of last of us lol"

By *esYesOMGYes!Man  over a year ago

M20

Science has speculated that an asteroid hit hard enough to cause volcanic activity and melt the icecaps.

The jury is out.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 05/02/23 23:00:51]

Longridge

I'd be more concerned of Russia’s Nukes than a space rock or fungal pandemic.

Much better odds..

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

Not heard anything but could be a massive athletes foot outbreak.

When I say massive, I mean the outbreak not just people with size 22 feet, like a yeti.

"Have a read and sleep tonight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64402102"

The BBC? are you for fucking real,the biggest scaremongering media platform on the planet, their coverage of the covid outbreak was nothing short of criminal

Longridge

Yeh, and the bastads stopped making Mycil.

Longridge

"Have a read and sleep tonight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64402102

The BBC? are you for fucking real,the biggest scaremongering media platform on the planet, their coverage of the covid outbreak was nothing short of criminal "

Keep up...

» Add a new message to this topic