FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Pharma expert payments

Pharma expert payments

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Not virus per se but linked with pharma experts.

Scientists praising the new skinny jab reveal payments. Not a good look is it?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/12/revealed-experts-who-praised-new-skinny-jab-received-payments-from-drug-maker

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It is a common practice for clinicians to be paid to promote certain products over other brands. Even though there is no suggestion that the products don't do what they're supposed to,the practice should still be banned.

The medical professionals say it's no different to your mechanic telling you that one brand of oil is better than another because they get a commission on every bottle they sell.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I got "page not found" from the link in the OP - if others had this problem, here's the link that worked for me to the same article (not a criticism)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/12/revealed-experts-who-praised-new-skinny-jab-received-payments-from-drug-maker

I know this can be an issue, which is why there's processes in place. Obviously ways around the processes need to be looked at, and data should triumph over testimonials.

Manchester (she/her)

"I got "page not found" from the link in the OP - if others had this problem, here's the link that worked for me to the same article (not a criticism)

I know this can be an issue, which is why there's processes in place. Obviously ways around the processes need to be looked at, and data should triumph over testimonials. "

And then I followed my own link and got the same error. I got there from Googling "guardian skinny jab"

Bloody intterweb gremlins

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

No, it doesnt look good, it seems to be all about profit.

Manchester (she/her)

"No, it doesnt look good, it seems to be all about profit."

Welcome to capitalism

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

I know loads using this and drugs like it to lose weight, none of them have kept the weight off when they stop and most had awful experiences on them.

Not a fan, Seems like an expensive and dangerous route to go down unless it's a medical necessity. Seems to be the current fad

By *ussymufferMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I was on the jab it was horrible side effects and could not say to anyone to try it.

It worked well for my blood sugars but killed my stomach I got to the stage I was scared to leave the house.

I just ended up stopping it as I could not get to see or chat with a doctor

Tin town

not sure its that simple. However the pount surely is not all "experts" are either expert or to be taken at face value. In some cases agenda or money trumps process or ubviassed fact and analysis.

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"I know loads using this and drugs like it to lose weight, none of them have kept the weight off when they stop and most had awful experiences on them.

Not a fan, Seems like an expensive and dangerous route to go down unless it's a medical necessity. Seems to be the current fad"

My other half has been taking the older drug and so far they have list weight fairly slowly, about a stone and a half. I am not convinced it's the drug more their will power. Someone I know lost weight but most things tasted awful. They lost enough weight to healthier so stopped the drug but everything still tasted horrid. They lost a lot more weight than they wanted. 9 months later they still can't stomach eating much but it is slowly starting to get better.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I know loads using this and drugs like it to lose weight, none of them have kept the weight off when they stop and most had awful experiences on them.

Not a fan, Seems like an expensive and dangerous route to go down unless it's a medical necessity. Seems to be the current fad"

I'd agree with this. It might be beneficial in very specific cases, such as needing to lose weight to alleviate other conditions or to allow surgery to take place safely, but if people just regain weight, then it seems pointless.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

People with expertise can be conflicted. That's why they should state conflicts of interest.

Some will not do this. That's unethical.

But this isn't constrained to experts. Influencer types are similarly conflicted to put out income generating content. And have no code of conduct.

I always think you need to look at who's telling you something as well as what they are saying. But one shouldn't simply dismiss an expert because some experts are conflicted.

And the positive here is the conflict was reported on.

Manchester (she/her)

"No, it doesnt look good, it seems to be all about profit.not sure its that simple. However the pount surely is not all "experts" are either expert or to be taken at face value. In some cases agenda or money trumps process or ubviassed fact and analysis. "

Sure. Expertise is necessary, at a high level, but not sufficient.

Tin town

"People with expertise can be conflicted. That's why they should state conflicts of interest.

But this isn't constrained to experts. Influencer types are similarly conflicted to put out income generating content. And have no code of conduct.

I always think you need to look at who's telling you something as well as what they are saying. But one shouldn't simply dismiss an expert because some experts are conflicted.

And the positive here is the conflict was reported on. "

All of that is true. However it is increasingly hard to safely identify and access guidance from someone who is accurate, unbiased and genuine and some one who has been warped by agenda... Expert or influencer. There seem to be more professors in the news now than you can shake an expert finding stick at.

Manchester (she/her)

"People with expertise can be conflicted. That's why they should state conflicts of interest.

All of that is true. However it is increasingly hard to safely identify and access guidance from someone who is accurate, unbiased and genuine and some one who has been warped by agenda... Expert or influencer. There seem to be more professors in the news now than you can shake an expert finding stick at. "

Source analysis should be part of the school curriculum. I'm fortunate that I had some in school.

It's not as simple as corrupted and genuine, good and evil. It's a question of degrees.

The article you refer to is not good - but it could have been worse without checks and balances that are also mentioned in the article. There's also data (that can be examined) behind the approval.

Tin town

All of that is true. However it is increasingly hard to safely identify and access guidance from someone who is accurate, unbiased and genuine and some one who has been warped by agenda... Expert or influencer. There seem to be more professors in the news now than you can shake an expert finding stick at.

Source analysis should be part of the school curriculum. I'm fortunate that I had some in school.

It's not as simple as corrupted and genuine, good and evil. It's a question of degrees.

The article you refer to is not good - but it could have been worse without checks and balances that are also mentioned in the article. There's also data (that can be examined) behind the approval."

Dont disagree.

Why have a dog and bark yourself though. Its where you get into the realms of personality and gesture leading the credibility over substance and fact. A little knowledge being a dangerous thing, in my humble opinion it would be better if we could trust some sources with what is best for our health rather than having to sieve vast quantities.

Manchester (she/her)

The article you refer to is not good - but it could have been worse without checks and balances that are also mentioned in the article. There's also data (that can be examined) behind the approval.

Dont disagree.

Why have a dog and bark yourself though. Its where you get into the realms of personality and gesture leading the credibility over substance and fact. A little knowledge being a dangerous thing, in my humble opinion it would be better if we could trust some sources with what is best for our health rather than having to sieve vast quantities. "

Because the filtering systems aren't entirely working and we have a crisis in trust.

Even before the crisis in trust - everyone is biased, absolutely everyone. Being able to find any value among the fluff and bullshit is valuable. And even when we try not to be biased - the language we use involves making choices. (For example "the clot shots were a lie on global proportions"; "the jibby jabs didn't do what we thought they'd do"; "the vaccinations didn't live up to the hopes we had" - they're all more or less the same message. But they have different slants)

By *mp411Man  over a year ago

chester

You can pay any “scientific expert” to say anything you want if the price is right

By *ylonSlutTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

"You can pay any “scientific expert” to say anything you want if the price is right "

Is that true of human beings in general not just scientists.

Tin town

"You can pay any “scientific expert” to say anything you want if the price is right "

And there's the big issue for me. Not that they arent perfect. But there has been a narrative that all science is good, all scientists are infallible and inherently honest and anyone who disagrees is an ill informed oaf or worse still snake oil salesman, a granny murdering thicky etc.

If the narrative was, that some scientists and experts disagree with others and that we dont know everything and that sometimes granny knows best even though she doesnt have a peer reveiewd and published paper, it would have more credibility. For me i stress.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"You can pay any “scientific expert” to say anything you want if the price is right

And there's the big issue for me. Not that they arent perfect. But there has been a narrative that all science is good, all scientists are infallible and inherently honest and anyone who disagrees is an ill informed oaf or worse still snake oil salesman, a granny murdering thicky etc.

If the narrative was, that some scientists and experts disagree with others and that we dont know everything and that sometimes granny knows best even though she doesnt have a peer reveiewd and published paper, it would have more credibility. For me i stress. "

a slight bit ott.

I doubt anyone has said all scientists are saints or ifallible. Or if some have, they weren't scientists. Science is one funeral after another

Granny may strike gold and be correct on something. However that is not a helpful framework. You can't listen to everything granny says simply because she may be right on something. And so, which bits to listen to?

Imo, scientists understand their is nuance. There is deabte. And there are things they don't know.

However the mass public isn't ready for that. They work in absolute terms They need black and white. They can't handle grey let alone shadows.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"You can pay any “scientific expert” to say anything you want if the price is right

If the narrative was, that some scientists and experts disagree with others and that we dont know everything and that sometimes granny knows best even though she doesnt have a peer reveiewd and published paper, it would have more credibility. For me i stress. "

My Granny told me that if I ate my crusts, my hair would go curly and I'd get hairs on my chest. Only one of those came true, and only 37 years into my life. I'm not convinced it's as a result of consuming the edges of Hovis Wholemeal bread

"No, it doesnt look good, it seems to be all about profit.

Welcome to capitalism "

Yes, that too.

This .

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

If the narrative was, that some scientists and experts disagree with others and that we dont know everything and that sometimes granny knows best even though she doesnt have a peer reveiewd and published paper, it would have more credibility. For me i stress.

My Granny told me that if I ate my crusts, my hair would go curly and I'd get hairs on my chest. Only one of those came true, and only 37 years into my life. I'm not convinced it's as a result of consuming the edges of Hovis Wholemeal bread "

My nan said that too.

She also said eating carrots is good for your eyesight as you never see a donkey wearing glasses.

She also poured the hot fat from the frying pan over a cooked breakfast saying it keeps out the cold and named it "dip" and it would make me a healthy girl.

Wonder how many kind nans have put men into cardiac wards before their time.

Wouldn't have my nan any different, god bless her.

By *REEPALESTINEMan  over a year ago

derby

Anyone here like hot wife talk, message me

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My Granny told me that if I ate my crusts, my hair would go curly and I'd get hairs on my chest. Only one of those came true, and only 37 years into my life. I'm not convinced it's as a result of consuming the edges of Hovis Wholemeal bread

My nan said that too.

She also said eating carrots is good for your eyesight as you never see a donkey wearing glasses.

She also poured the hot fat from the frying pan over a cooked breakfast saying it keeps out the cold and named it "dip" and it would make me a healthy girl.

Wonder how many kind nans have put men into cardiac wards before their time.

Wouldn't have my nan any different, god bless her.

"

"You can pay any “scientific expert” to say anything you want if the price is right This ."

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"You can pay any “scientific expert” to say anything you want if the price is right This . "

Something thatthe "conspiracy theory" sites have been exploiting for decades

Manchester (she/her)

"You can pay any “scientific expert” to say anything you want if the price is right This .

Something thatthe "conspiracy theory" sites have been exploiting for decades"

Yes. Funny how "follow the money" etc isn't a thing people appreciate when you turn it against their pet Maverick Truth Tellers

Are big pharma perfect? Fuck no. Do I approve of existing and potentially further checks to stop them from abusing their power? Absolutely. Does that make those who speak up against them any more credible? No

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Saltaire

"Anyone here like hot wife talk, message me "

I think you might be on the wrong thread...

» Add a new message to this topic