FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Capt Tom Moore

Capt Tom Moore

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asycouple1971 OP   Couple 45 weeks ago

midlands

Looks like they are in the news again regarding the management of the funds.

Seems like the daughter is trying to build an extension to her home with a spa with thr funds.

Can I get my donation back from this corrupt family?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *flkfunseekerMan 45 weeks ago

Norwich

Just seen this on the news this morning pretty awful to be honest, I’d also like my money back or at least a massage in her spa

By *asycouple1971 OP   Couple 45 weeks ago

midlands

Shes also paying herself a shit ton of money to be CEO.

No news on where the money is or is it just sitting in her bank account.

By *dward_TeagueMan 45 weeks ago

wolverhampton

"Looks like they are in the news again regarding the management of the funds.

Seems like the daughter is trying to build an extension to her home with a spa with thr funds.

Can I get my donation back from this corrupt family?"

The spa has already been built without planning permission so they’ve applied for retrospective planning permission which has been refused. This refusal is now subject to an appeal.

The charity has stopped taking donations and the whole thing seems dodgy. What this great British hero did was remarkable and inspiring now his memory is being sullied by his gold digging daughter.

By *eavenscentitCouple 45 weeks ago

barnstaple

He was presented as one thing but, the intentions were quite different. Thankfully I didn't fund any of it.

By *r GLTMan 45 weeks ago

Twickenham

Cpt Tom must be turning in his grave I never give to charities as I do not trust them. I'm quite happy to give a few quid to ex military living on the streets which I do.

By *opa SandsCouple 45 weeks ago

Gloucester

"Cpt Tom must be turning in his grave I never give to charities as I do not trust them. I'm quite happy to give a few quid to ex military living on the streets which I do."

How much percentage actually goes to the charity without it being skimmed off the top?

I’d like to know!

By *xyBs2022Couple 45 weeks ago

Lancs

"Cpt Tom must be turning in his grave I never give to charities as I do not trust them. I'm quite happy to give a few quid to ex military living on the streets which I do."

This

Twickenham

How much percentage actually goes to the charity without it being skimmed off the top?

I’d like to know

A very small percentage

barnstaple

"Cpt Tom must be turning in his grave I never give to charities as I do not trust them. I'm quite happy to give a few quid to ex military living on the streets which I do.

This "

How do we know ? He was part of the circus around this.

Twickenham

How do we know ? He was part of the circus around this.

I cannot see it he was an old fashioned military gent, my 6th sense tells me it's all down to his money grabbing daughter.

By *otleyMan 45 weeks ago

Burton-on-Trent

Just to play devil's advocate here. They were clearly very well off before Captain Sir Tom did his walking. Have we proof they could not afford this work?

By *allDaddyMan 45 weeks ago

Essex

All charities do this. Charities are nothing more than fronts for people milking off the top. One of my ex partners used to do the finance for a charity and the amount of first class business trips, they would go on around the world for “research“ was ridiculous. They might be a charity, but they are still a business.

You know what I did to raise money for the NHS absolutely nothing. So who would I be to possibly think about criticising?

By *oan of DArcCouple 45 weeks ago

Glasgow

Most community based activities and services are delivered by charities, we couldn't function without them.

Vulnerable veterans would have very bleak lives if they had to rely on military services for support.

By *etro1940sCouple 45 weeks ago

Kingston upon Thames

"Cpt Tom must be turning in his grave I never give to charities as I do not trust them. I'm quite happy to give a few quid to ex military living on the streets which I do.

Most community based activities and services are delivered by charities, we couldn't function without them.

Vulnerable veterans would have very bleak lives if they had to rely on military services for support."

Correct and factual. However, the Captain Tom saga has caught the eye of the public and it is sadly the case that it appears to have confirmed some real worries as to performance, governance, optics and narrative. We veterans / ex service / ex Forces expect our charities to be well run, prudent and positive for public perception. G & A

ps Captain Tom was a wonderful representative of our "greatest generation" and much needed in the pandemic period.

By *winga2Man 45 weeks ago

Stranraer

Where did anyone accuse them of using money from the find to build a swimming pool ?

It appears they used his name on the building to fraudulently get planning permission but nowhere does anything say there was financial fraud .. does it ?

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple 45 weeks ago

Watford

This family has been dodgy from the start. Many 'charities' are simply fronts for lavish lifestyles.

By *rystal cannonMan 45 weeks ago

alfreton

this is the norm with lots of charitys your donation for every £1 only about 30p max gets to where it should go admin takes 60 to 80% of the money

By *leasureseekers123Couple 45 weeks ago

Hythe

"this is the norm with lots of charitys your donation for every £1 only about 30p max gets to where it should go admin takes 60 to 80% of the money "

The actual average amount is between 11 and 12% on admin. So for every £1 about 88p goes to the cause for which it’s intended

By *abtastic Mr FoxMan 45 weeks ago

A den in the Glen

It's so difficult to see where your money goes. Lots of scams. As a military man I give lots to charity but avoid Oxfam etc as they are a bunch of skimming bastards who fund their Costa Coffee lifestyle abroad. MSF are perhaps the better lot. They are of course French though which is a pisser

By *ayyune2000Man 45 weeks ago

yorks

They are rking this in the news to smoke screen what is happening behind it, cashless.society ? High carbon in the air? Ridiculous mortgage increases, etc etc waft away the smoke and look at what's happening with a clear head no joke

By (user no longer on site) 45 weeks ago

"They are rking this in the news to smoke screen what is happening behind it, cashless.society ? High carbon in the air? Ridiculous mortgage increases, etc etc waft away the smoke and look at what's happening with a clear head no joke "

Phil Schofield will be chuffed.

By *I TwoCouple 45 weeks ago

all around

"They are rking this in the news to smoke screen what is happening behind it, cashless.society ? High carbon in the air? Ridiculous mortgage increases, etc etc waft away the smoke and look at what's happening with a clear head no joke "

They're all in on it lol

Wow that Costa Coffee lifestyle must be rich !

By *ill69888Couple 45 weeks ago

cheltenham

A friend of mine, who works in the NHS, received a plastic water bottle (no doubt made in China), a tea bag, a pen and a badge some time ago and was told that the money from Captain Tom paid for it…… yes, cheap rubbish but when you consider everyone in the trust (4,661 employees) received the same, they amount soon adds up and for what?

Now tell me the NHS doesn’t waste money….

By *lym4realCouple 45 weeks ago

plymouth

Sad days but then on one asked the most obvious question ?? Why ?? and most people seem to act like Pavlov's Dog when stuff like this pops up ?? and gives everyone a nice warm feeling about doing something good or helping a worthy cause ?? and when we have more than enough money to give tax cuts to ?? or help the wealthy avoid paying any tax ?? or even spend billions on whizzy whizz bang stuff ?? and a old man who already served and gave so much for this country ?? and we are footing the legal bill for someone who earn't £5 million this year ??

Same with the madelinne mcaan thing...I reckon the old geezer was in on it as well

You could see what she was all about from day 1 it wasn’t hard to work her out

By *ear_chestedMan 45 weeks ago

pboro area

Exactly, I also called this from day one, you could tell she was in it for personal gain from the off.

By *-4pleasureCouple 45 weeks ago

Belfast

"Same with the madelinne mcaan thing...I reckon the old geezer was in on it as well"

Doubt Captain Tom could have climbed through that apartment window to be fair …..

By *_the_impalerMan 45 weeks ago

canterbury

Hopefully the charities commission are looking into it

I do donate but only to charities I know 100% it’s going to the right place almost in front of my eyes

I don't think she used the funds for it, but she used the name to get permission- I think under the pretence of building offices.

But since 2021 she has tried various scams to get hold of some of the money. Through paying companies in her name and trying to get a salary of £100k. Which isn't actually unreasonable for a CEO of a charity, depending on it's size, but it's completely unreasonable for someone who doesn't have the experience.

Luckily the charity commission are all over this. Probably because it's so public.

By *lowercandyWoman 45 weeks ago

Lancashire

"He was presented as one thing but, the intentions were quite different. Thankfully I didn't fund any of it."

Wrong I think to say it was him.

It's the daughter.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 45 weeks ago

Central

Fingers crossed that they will ensure it's all bona fide and sorted out quickly. And any wrong-doing, if any, is corrected at the individual's expense.

By *penbicoupleCouple 45 weeks ago

Northampton

"The actual average amount is between 11 and 12% on admin. So for every £1 about 88p goes to the cause for which it’s intended"

Do you have a source for this? I've worked for a massive charity where less than 88p per £1 went to the intended cause. Got to pay the CEO more than the PM, after all!

Old bloke walks up and down his garden and gains some media exposure, money grabbing pretentious daughter see it as money making opportunity.

Really people is this a surprise.

By *dward_TeagueMan 45 weeks ago

wolverhampton

I always thought that it was odd that Captain Sir Tom’s other daughter was rarely involved. Maybe she recognised her sister for what she actually is.

By *melie LALWoman 45 weeks ago

Peterborough

"A friend of mine, who works in the NHS, received a plastic water bottle (no doubt made in China), a tea bag, a pen and a badge some time ago and was told that the money from Captain Tom paid for it…… yes, cheap rubbish but when you consider everyone in the trust (4,661 employees) received the same, they amount soon adds up and for what?

Now tell me the NHS doesn’t waste money…."

Try reading what you put... The charity (at least some part) was for the staff. It's not NHS money!

By *melie LALWoman 45 weeks ago

Peterborough

Crikey lots of judgement. Whatever happened to presumed innocent

Hythe

"The actual average amount is between 11 and 12% on admin. So for every £1 about 88p goes to the cause for which it’s intended

Do you have a source for this? I've worked for a massive charity where less than 88p per £1 went to the intended cause. Got to pay the CEO more than the PM, after all! "

Yes I do. The main clue is in the word “average” and so some will spend more on admin and some will spend less.

My source was givewell and givingevidence. They are both non profits who try and encourage charities to maximise their spending on the causes they are working for.

By *rispyDuckMan 45 weeks ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

Corruption is everywhere

He did lengths of his garden,

She wants to do lengths in her new pool

Glasgow

"Hopefully the charities commission are looking into it

I do donate but only to charities I know 100% it’s going to the right place almost in front of my eyes"

How can 100% go entirely to the intended cause?

Charities need managing just like any other business- governance, IT, marketing, supervision etc etc

barnstaple

"He was presented as one thing but, the intentions were quite different. Thankfully I didn't fund any of it.

It's the daughter.

"

He was part of creating the illusion, so much so people think he was totally innocent.

By *ldgeezermeMan 45 weeks ago

Newcastle, Throckley

This will upset a few

BBC News - Captain Sir Tom Moore: NHS charity stresses £38m is not under investigation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-66111722

By *J and CBCouple 45 weeks ago

Uttoxeter

Had my doubts about this from the very beginning, glad i donated NOTHING!

Hythe

"Had my doubts about this from the very beginning, glad i donated NOTHING!"

People do realise that the money he raised and the foundation are 2 completely separate things don’t they?

None of the money Captain Tom raised went to the foundation. Not one penny.

The foundation was set up after his death

By *lowercandyWoman 45 weeks ago

Lancashire

"He was presented as one thing but, the intentions were quite different. Thankfully I didn't fund any of it.

It's the daughter.

He was part of creating the illusion, so much so people think he was totally innocent."

I'd be happy to read any documents/evidence you can show me

By *innerforthreeMan 45 weeks ago

London/herts

"How much percentage actually goes to the charity without it being skimmed off the top?

I’d like to know

A very small percentage"

Well when the accounts are submitted you will be able to see.

Some very odd comments about charitable giving.

Generally (and this very general) the smallest the charity the smaller the percentage that will go to the good causes due to economies of scale.

If you look at say the Macmillan website it's pretty overt how much the spend on salaries, overheads and how much goes on research, support etc.

Central

I'm rethinking leaving Captain Tom a large endowment in my will. It may pay to err on the side of caution. Perhaps others here could think similarly.

Smelt a Rat right at the beginning of this and for that reason did not donate!

Daughter in particular is completely corrupt.

By *ynonvalleyboyMan 45 weeks ago

merthyr

"Smelt a Rat right at the beginning of this and for that reason did not donate!

Daughter in particular is completely corrupt.

"

My thoughts as well

I'm the same

Rarely donate to charities but if I see a homeless person will always give money or if I don't have any ask them if they want anything from the shop

"Corruption is everywhere

He did lengths of his garden,

She wants to do lengths in her new pool "

By *cplsMan 45 weeks ago

Nr Waltham

"this is the norm with lots of charitys your donation for every £1 only about 30p max gets to where it should go admin takes 60 to 80% of the money

The actual average amount is between 11 and 12% on admin. So for every £1 about 88p goes to the cause for which it’s intended"

The actual amount of money to intended recipients can be a great deal lower. A certIn well known military charity was only giving 17% of their initial income. It is easy to find out with a FOI. There are far too many military charities creaming off the pot and reducing support funds for those who need it. Im a 30+ year veteran who gives my time supporting veterans " for free"!

By *ackformore100Man 45 weeks ago

Tin town

I’d like to know!"

Google it then

Tin town

"I'm rethinking leaving Captain Tom a large endowment in my will. It may pay to err on the side of caution. Perhaps others here could think similarly. "

You cant even if you wanted to. Its closed to donations

Most charities are absolute cons, the women who is ceo of save the kids earns around 280k a year, if she really wants to save kids why isn't she doing her job on minimum wage?

The daughter of capt tom who was mostly on screen (he has 2) definitely come across abit odd so its no surprise, but its a different time then and there is hundreds more people scamming every single day.

By *lleyCat1969Man 45 weeks ago

Folkestone

"All charities do this. Charities are nothing more than fronts for people milking off the top. One of my ex partners used to do the finance for a charity and the amount of first class business trips, they would go on around the world for “research“ was ridiculous. They might be a charity, but they are still a business.

You know what I did to raise money for the NHS absolutely nothing. So who would I be to possibly think about criticising? "

This is a huge generalisation and wrong. Many charities provide vital functions. They are overseen by trustees who are accountable to the Charities Commission.

By *ob and DeeWoman 45 weeks ago

crook

they shoudnt have to live on the streets.

By *mp411Man 45 weeks ago

chester

It’s only like “celebrity’s” begging for your

Money for different charities why don’t they donate some of their vast amounts of cash if they’re so worried about it! And another thing has anyone seen the begging ad for repairing donkeys if the shoe was in n the other foot would they send money to repair my car NOPE

all around

"Most charities are absolute cons, the women who is ceo of save the kids earns around 280k a year, if she really wants to save kids why isn't she doing her job on minimum wage?

The daughter of capt tom who was mostly on screen (he has 2) definitely come across abit odd so its no surprise, but its a different time then and there is hundreds more people scamming every single day."

I'll take your word she earns £280k but without high class well paid executives, charities would cease to exist. Advertising, fund raising these things don't just happen but people are too small minded to understand.

chester

"Most charities are absolute cons, the women who is ceo of save the kids earns around 280k a year, if she really wants to save kids why isn't she doing her job on minimum wage?

The daughter of capt tom who was mostly on screen (he has 2) definitely come across abit odd so its no surprise, but its a different time then and there is hundreds more people scamming every single day.

I'll take your word she earns £280k but without high class well paid executives, charities would cease to exist. Advertising, fund raising these things don't just happen but people are too small minded to understand."

If it’s a worthwhile cause you wouldn’t need advertising fund raising people would give naturally and spontaneously

By *4BSCouple 45 weeks ago

Bristol

Was all a bit cringe from the start to be honest

Central

[Removed by poster at 07/07/23 22:22:11]

Central

"I'm rethinking leaving Captain Tom a large endowment in my will. It may pay to err on the side of caution. Perhaps others here could think similarly.

You cant even if you wanted to. Its closed to donations "

I know. Only for now, though. And I'm not planning on my death in the very near future.

His daughter and her husband run something like a business consultancy, so can advise themselves on how to proceed with the best outcome for themselves. I'm looking at alternative arrangements, just in case there's anything a little odd found, that leaves them beholden to red tape. I wouldn't have minded a spa day, in their new spa, that unfortunately got to become larger than the one that officialdom insisted on. Demolition may now ensue.

Perhaps she'll start a gofundme type page, to get us to help them out?

By *ITJOEMan 45 weeks ago

London

"Cpt Tom must be turning in his grave I never give to charities as I do not trust them. I'm quite happy to give a few quid to ex military living on the streets which I do.they shoudnt have to live on the streets.

Quite right but all the hotels are full of gimmegrants……..kick all them out and put our veterans in "

Where should we put the victims of the "veterans" though?

Tin town

I'll take your word she earns £280k but without high class well paid executives, charities would cease to exist. Advertising, fund raising these things don't just happen but people are too small minded to understand.

If it’s a worthwhile cause you wouldn’t need advertising fund raising people would give naturally and spontaneously "

How?

Tin town

Theres a lot of ignorance of human behaviour in here. People dont give to charities unless reminded and its easy for them

all around

If it’s a worthwhile cause you wouldn’t need advertising fund raising people would give naturally and spontaneously "

How ?

You wouldn't even know it existed.. jeez ....

Glasgow

"

................ .............

I've no idea what you do for a job but if you really want to help your customers/service users why don't you do it for minimum wage?

Just because somebody works for a charity doesn't mean they're particularly rooted to that cause.

Charities are businesses, the larger ones very big businesses so they obviously need executives qualified to run them effectively.

chester

"Cpt Tom must be turning in his grave I never give to charities as I do not trust them. I'm quite happy to give a few quid to ex military living on the streets which I do.they shoudnt have to live on the streets.

Quite right but all the hotels are full of gimmegrants……..kick all them out and put our veterans in

"

Victims?

chester

If it’s a worthwhile cause you wouldn’t need advertising fund raising people would give naturally and spontaneously

How ?

You wouldn't even know it existed.. jeez ...."

Of course you would like the homeless veterans sleeping in doorways that you walk past everyday or the single parent struggling to feed their children we have so many British people struggling and suffering that we all see every day that’s how you would know about it

Glasgow

How ?

Of course you would like the homeless veterans sleeping in doorways that you walk past everyday or the single parent struggling to feed their children we have so many British people struggling and suffering that we all see every day that’s how you would know about it "

Not all worthwhile causes are impoverished single parents or homeless veterans sleeping in doorways.

Sadly society generally needs to be well motivated to donate to charities and a well organised infrastructure developed to administer those donations and more importantly grant funding.

Dropping a few coins into a homeless veterans bowl isn't going to get them a new life.

By *ITJOEMan 45 weeks ago

London

How ?

Of course you would like the homeless veterans sleeping in doorways that you walk past everyday or the single parent struggling to feed their children we have so many British people struggling and suffering that we all see every day that’s how you would know about it "

But why is a homeless veteran worthy of help from a charity but a non-combatant homeless person not?

I'd certainly donate to a charity who was set up to help victims of military abuse.

Can't see how in a modern society, charities are needed for ex-military personell

By *iddle ManMan 45 weeks ago

Walsall

"Where did anyone accuse them of using money from the find to build a swimming pool ?

It appears they used his name on the building to fraudulently get planning permission but nowhere does anything say there was financial fraud .. does it ?

"

They were claiming the building was to be used for offices for the charity.

By *loydyMan 45 weeks ago

British

"Looks like they are in the news again regarding the management of the funds.

Seems like the daughter is trying to build an extension to her home with a spa with thr funds.pure greed call me cynical but I don't give to any charity's anymore

Can I get my donation back from this corrupt family?"

"

I'll take your word she earns £280k but without high class well paid executives, charities would cease to exist. Advertising, fund raising these things don't just happen but people are too small minded to understand."

Thanks for you input but as a business owner myself I am very aware as to what it costs for advertising etc so small minded I am not and the only good cause I make money for is me and my family and I make no apologies for that and I don't sugar coat it saying its for charity or to make a difference in the world like the charities do.

"

I've no idea what you do for a job but if you really want to help your customers/service users why don't you do it for minimum wage?

Just because somebody works for a charity doesn't mean they're particularly rooted to that cause.

Charities are businesses, the larger ones very big businesses so they obviously need executives qualified to run them effectively."

I run my own business and believe me it isn't all roses, its a struggle especially in these cost of living times and some hours/days I get less than minimum wage but I do it to keep a roof over my family head and feed them.

Tin town

Might be worth some people pausing for a moment and thinking about what might be involved with recruiting, organising, collecting, authorisations required, ensuring donations reach intended targets... But yeah people should of course all do it for free... Because..

"It's so difficult to see where your money goes. Lots of scams. As a military man I give lots to charity but avoid Oxfam etc as they are a bunch of skimming bastards who fund their Costa Coffee lifestyle abroad. MSF are perhaps the better lot. They are of course French though which is a pisser"

Why is it a pisser that MSF are French?

Surely the point of a charity is to help those in need, irrespective of the location of their birth.

MSF do work in 60-70 countries - the clue is in the name. Why does it matter where they are based?

By *itonthesideWoman 45 weeks ago

tenerife

"this is the norm with lots of charitys your donation for every £1 only about 30p max gets to where it should go admin takes 60 to 80% of the money

The actual average amount is between 11 and 12% on admin. So for every £1 about 88p goes to the cause for which it’s intended"

Plus its like people forget that while you might donate some money to a charity, very few people can afford to donate their working life. The “admin” of a charity will be done by people like me and you who need to be paid for our work and that costs money. Its some utopian fantasy land that people live in where charities would not have overheads

By *itonthesideWoman 45 weeks ago

tenerife

Well thats naive , if only just because there are multiple competing worthwhile causes and limited amounts we can each donate. Plus the psychology of it is people like to see what their money will go towards so the charities need to spend on advertising to encourage more donations in … chicken and egg

Glasgow

"

Charities are businesses, the larger ones very big businesses so they obviously need executives qualified to run them effectively.

I run my own business and believe me it isn't all roses, its a struggle especially in these cost of living times and some hours/days I get less than minimum wage but I do it to keep a roof over my family head and feed them.

"

I'm sure you do, I was really responding to your suggestion that charity managers should work for the minimum wage.

I find it very naive that people think charities don't require a lot of highly trained and skilled people to run effectively and to actually help the causes they do. It's such a huge sector and a big employment sector too. Some CEOs are managing hundreds of people, it's such a massive job, noone would have the skills or even desire to do that for minimum wage when you could go and work in a pub instead. I've worked in charities includin some of the big ones, so much goes into it. And the CEOs work with everyone,team managers, government, health professionals. It's huge. There aren't many charities not doing what they say they are and you can always read their annual reviews with financials in there to find out.

Tin town

"I find it very naive that people think charities don't require a lot of highly trained and skilled people to run effectively and to actually help the causes they do. It's such a huge sector and a big employment sector too. Some CEOs are managing hundreds of people, it's such a massive job, noone would have the skills or even desire to do that for minimum wage when you could go and work in a pub instead. I've worked in charities includin some of the big ones, so much goes into it. And the CEOs work with everyone,team managers, government, health professionals. It's huge. There aren't many charities not doing what they say they are and you can always read their annual reviews with financials in there to find out. "

Well yes. I mean its a valid question to understand how much of and where peoples donations end up. You can even question where a fair chunk of the lottery funding ends up. But to expect people to do it for less than market rate... Why should they.?

By *icecouple561Couple 45 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I find it very naive that people think charities don't require a lot of highly trained and skilled people to run effectively and to actually help the causes they do. It's such a huge sector and a big employment sector too. Some CEOs are managing hundreds of people, it's such a massive job, noone would have the skills or even desire to do that for minimum wage when you could go and work in a pub instead. I've worked in charities includin some of the big ones, so much goes into it. And the CEOs work with everyone,team managers, government, health professionals. It's huge. There aren't many charities not doing what they say they are and you can always read their annual reviews with financials in there to find out.

Well yes. I mean its a valid question to understand how much of and where peoples donations end up. You can even question where a fair chunk of the lottery funding ends up. But to expect people to do it for less than market rate... Why should they.? "

Because even though they wouldn't work for minimum wage with huge responsibilities they believe others with good professional, skills should because it's for 'a good cause'. It's the same with carers, nobody wants to do it but they expect other people to.

By *ugby 123Couple 45 weeks ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"A friend of mine, who works in the NHS, received a plastic water bottle (no doubt made in China), a tea bag, a pen and a badge some time ago and was told that the money from Captain Tom paid for it…… yes, cheap rubbish but when you consider everyone in the trust (4,661 employees) received the same, they amount soon adds up and for what?

Now tell me the NHS doesn’t waste money…."

The Captain Tom money was meant to be for NHS charities so if they got something from it, it wouldn't be coming out of NHS money

By *armandwet50Couple 45 weeks ago

Manchester

"I find it very naive that people think charities don't require a lot of highly trained and skilled people to run effectively and to actually help the causes they do. It's such a huge sector and a big employment sector too. Some CEOs are managing hundreds of people, it's such a massive job, noone would have the skills or even desire to do that for minimum wage when you could go and work in a pub instead. I've worked in charities includin some of the big ones, so much goes into it. And the CEOs work with everyone,team managers, government, health professionals. It's huge. There aren't many charities not doing what they say they are and you can always read their annual reviews with financials in there to find out.

Well yes. I mean its a valid question to understand how much of and where peoples donations end up. You can even question where a fair chunk of the lottery funding ends up. But to expect people to do it for less than market rate... Why should they.?

Because even though they wouldn't work for minimum wage with huge responsibilities they believe others with good professional, skills should because it's for 'a good cause'. It's the same with carers, nobody wants to do it but they expect other people to. "

Understood and agreed but the question still remains how did Capt Tom's daughter develop those skills "overnight" ?

By *ugby 123Couple 45 weeks ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

PS I never bought into the Captain Tom thing but I believe the money raised did get to where it was meant to be

Anything being investigated since is to do with the foundation his daughter set up and a pool and spa built with planning permission meant for an office

Tin town

Because even though they wouldn't work for minimum wage with huge responsibilities they believe others with good professional, skills should because it's for 'a good cause'. It's the same with carers, nobody wants to do it but they expect other people to.

Understood and agreed but the question still remains how did Capt Tom's daughter develop those skills "overnight" ?

"

I thought her background was finance but dont know and yes it's a legitimate question... As is the running of any charity. I presume the charities commission will execute due diligence.

Not sure the media making up the story before establishing facts is a good way to proceed though.

"

I think that's the point and why the CHarity Commission stopped her from being CEO. She was allowed to be temporarily until they got someone qualified. Oh she's definitely tried to mil it in every direction. But I've met so many people over the years who think that charities should be run by volunteers. It's crazy. Things just wouldn't work if that's ow they were run. Very small charities can get away with that, often set up as a family appeal or something, but in general to be effective they need experienced people.

By *innerforthreeMan 45 weeks ago

London/herts

How ?

If you really respect veterans, the "hotels" they dump immigrants in is hardly somewhere you would put them to show your respect for them.

By *eescouple1Couple 45 weeks ago

Radcar

Tom done laps of his garden and she’s doing laps of her pool

I'm gonna start a charity, looks a good way to earn a few quid.

Tin town

I think that's the point and why the CHarity Commission stopped her from being CEO. She was allowed to be temporarily until they got someone qualified. Oh she's definitely tried to mil it in every direction. But I've met so many people over the years who think that charities should be run by volunteers. It's crazy. Things just wouldn't work if that's ow they were run. Very small charities can get away with that, often set up as a family appeal or something, but in general to be effective they need experienced people."

Isnt her husband also some big cheese in the banking sector?

By *loyd2000Man 45 weeks ago

Cardiff

Should there be a new law regarding exploitation ?

We have child and immigration exploitation.

Should we have an OAP ( Capt Tom) exploitation law!

He was forced to walk a bit !

By *mpaler721Man 45 weeks ago

Devon

The monies should be seized and the charity run by an independent body.

By *inley400Man 45 weeks ago

Kings Langley

It's the daughter.

He was part of creating the illusion, so much so people think he was totally innocent."

He was an 90 year old man . If anyone remembers he wanted to do a mile in his garden . One one made him do it because they thought we will get Millions. He was a man he fought so people like you can say what ever you want and not have to worry about the secret police knocking on your door . So stop trying to blame an old man who died .

By *heHookyMonsterMan 44 weeks ago

Liverpool

"How do we know ? He was part of the circus around this.

I cannot see it he was an old fashioned military gent, my 6th sense tells me it's all down to his money grabbing daughter."

A hundred per cent! I see her going to prison at some point. Unbelievable!

Liverpool

Vulnerable veterans would have very bleak lives if they had to rely on military services for support."

Thars true, however even the Military themselves encourage service men and women to give to specific charities. For the Navy and Marines it's the RNRMC (a collection of small charities, all of which do different things - and where the money isn't being siphoned off into administration) and have traditionally warned people off donating to organisations such as Help for Heroes. These smaller charities are kept in house and the money protected to do what it was supposed to.

Still encouraged to donate to the Royal British Legion though, which has been under some scrutiny itself in recent years.

So sad that it's now incredibly hard to trust a charity.

Liverpool

Vulnerable veterans would have very bleak lives if they had to rely on military services for support.

Correct and factual. However, the Captain Tom saga has caught the eye of the public and it is sadly the case that it appears to have confirmed some real worries as to performance, governance, optics and narrative. We veterans / ex service / ex Forces expect our charities to be well run, prudent and positive for public perception. G & A

ps Captain Tom was a wonderful representative of our "greatest generation" and much needed in the pandemic period."

Liverpool

Quite right but all the hotels are full of gimmegrants……..kick all them out and put our veterans in

Victims? "

Exactly! Always the clueless who come out with crap like that!

Liverpool

It's the daughter.

He was part of creating the illusion, so much so people think he was totally innocent.

He was an 90 year old man . If anyone remembers he wanted to do a mile in his garden . One one made him do it because they thought we will get Millions. He was a man he fought so people like you can say what ever you want and not have to worry about the secret police knocking on your door . So stop trying to blame an old man who died ."

Agreed - I believe his intentions were pure. Appears someone else saw an opportunity to exploit it once the money started rolling in. I sincerely hope it's all proven to be wrong in the end, but I have a bad feeling about it I have to admit.

By *ackformore100Man 44 weeks ago

Tin town

"I'm gonna start a charity, looks a good way to earn a few quid."

Go on then. Let us know how it goes.

By *melie LALWoman 44 weeks ago

Peterborough

The money raised by Capt Tom was given to NHS charities and distributed by them. The foundation is linked to his memory NOT his fund raising.

Instead of judging the daughter, why not wait for the inquiry's findings? Instead of mob rule of pitchforks and the suchlike.

Peterborough

"The money raised by Capt Tom was given to NHS charities and distributed by them. The foundation is linked to his memory NOT his fund raising.

Instead of judging the daughter, why not wait for the inquiry's findings? Instead of mob rule of pitchforks and the suchlike. "

not (fat fingers in last post)

Tin town

"The money raised by Capt Tom was given to NHS charities and distributed by them. The foundation is linked to his memory NOT his fund raising.

Instead of judging the daughter, why not wait for the inquiry's findings? Instead of mob rule of pitchforks and the suchlike. "

The voice of reason.

Liverpool

Instead of judging the daughter, why not wait for the inquiry's findings? Instead of mob rule of pitchforks and the suchlike.

The voice of reason. "

By *reams_unitedCouple 44 weeks ago

milton keynes

I just think its a sexy title, Médecins Sans Frontières, I'm happy to support them!

By *4BSCouple 44 weeks ago

Bristol

Paying minimum wage isn't going to get very good managers, if any at all. Stupid argument.

By *dam and slutCouple 44 weeks ago

Manchester

Not highjacking the post/thread, but can I just say....I did an abseil down a 170 tower for St Anne's Hospice charity..raised nearly 700 hundred pounds.. quite proud of my self as I suffer from vertigo lol.. don't you dare suggest a bungee jump next lol

By *eamworkboyMan 44 weeks ago

Irvine

This lot need a swift investigation and if wrongdoing has taken place they need jailing, total scum if they've done wrong

Tin town

"This lot need a swift investigation and if wrongdoing has taken place they need jailing, total scum if they've done wrong "

Abd if they havent?

By *eamworkboyMan 44 weeks ago

Irvine

"This lot need a swift investigation and if wrongdoing has taken place they need jailing, total scum if they've done wrong

Abd if they havent? "

Hmmmm building a spa and pool alongside an office ??? I think the answer is there, if they are squeaky clean and innocent then I'll donate £1000

Tin town

"This lot need a swift investigation and if wrongdoing has taken place they need jailing, total scum if they've done wrong

Abd if they havent?

Hmmmm building a spa and pool alongside an office ??? I think the answer is there, if they are squeaky clean and innocent then I'll donate £1000"

I dont know anytbing about them and suspect you dont either. But a multi millionaire building a spa changing room in their garden isnt much of a stretch. And yes if they have misappropriated charity funds let the law take its course. If they havent then they have been unfairly ruined. I dont understand why the rush to judge when facts are sketchy at best.

Peterborough

Abd if they havent?

Hmmmm building a spa and pool alongside an office ??? I think the answer is there, if they are squeaky clean and innocent then I'll donate £1000

I dont know anytbing about them and suspect you dont either. But a multi millionaire building a spa changing room in their garden isnt much of a stretch. And yes if they have misappropriated charity funds let the law take its course. If they havent then they have been unfairly ruined. I dont understand why the rush to judge when facts are sketchy at best. "

People like to judge. People like to jump on a bandwagon.

It is so... What's the word? Pitchforky... I'm sticking with that

Psssst it certainly doesn't show individual thought, and prepares for egg on the face. Whereas if you wait or question, no egg

By (user no longer on site) 44 weeks ago

Abd if they havent?

I dont know anytbing about them and suspect you dont either. But a multi millionaire building a spa changing room in their garden isnt much of a stretch. And yes if they have misappropriated charity funds let the law take its course. If they havent then they have been unfairly ruined. I dont understand why the rush to judge when facts are sketchy at best.

Psssst it certainly doesn't show individual thought, and prepares for egg on the face. Whereas if you wait or question, no egg "

I don't think anyone said they used charity funds for it. They used the charities name to get planning permission for building offices, but then decided to build a spa. That's all that it's about

Tin town

Abd if they havent?

Psssst it certainly doesn't show individual thought, and prepares for egg on the face. Whereas if you wait or question, no egg

I don't think anyone said they used charity funds for it. They used the charities name to get planning permission for building offices, but then decided to build a spa. That's all that it's about"

Oh right. Yes i can certainly see the need to jail them then. For turning a flat roof into an apex roof. Carry on.

By *icecouple561Couple 44 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Abd if they havent?

I don't think anyone said they used charity funds for it. They used the charities name to get planning permission for building offices, but then decided to build a spa. That's all that it's about"

Is that really it? Really! Blimey. So all the house builders who regularly contribute to political parties and have planning permission for huge housing estates with no affordable accommodation granted easily are all above board and ok by comparison?

Abd if they havent?

I don't think anyone said they used charity funds for it. They used the charities name to get planning permission for building offices, but then decided to build a spa. That's all that it's about

Is that really it? Really! Blimey. So all the house builders who regularly contribute to political parties and have planning permission for huge housing estates with no affordable accommodation granted easily are all above board and ok by comparison?"

I don't think anyones saying it's ok or comparing them. I don't think this is really that complicated. If you apply to build one thing then build something else, which had a completely different layout to the plans then often they make people take it down. If she'd even built it in the same shape as the original plan, it might not have been so obvious!

By *allySlinkyWoman 44 weeks ago

Leeds

Is Charles Ingram (the "who wants to be a millionaire" coughing Major) Captain Tom's daughter's brother-in-law ?

By *icecouple561Couple 44 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Abd if they havent?

Is that really it? Really! Blimey. So all the house builders who regularly contribute to political parties and have planning permission for huge housing estates with no affordable accommodation granted easily are all above board and ok by comparison?

I don't think anyones saying it's ok or comparing them. I don't think this is really that complicated. If you apply to build one thing then build something else, which had a completely different layout to the plans then often they make people take it down. If she'd even built it in the same shape as the original plan, it might not have been so obvious! "

Is the problem that she did that of that she used her position as the daughter of a charity fund raised to try and avoid the consequences. Only using one's position to avoid the consequences of breaking rules seems to be common these days...

Abd if they havent?

I don't think anyones saying it's ok or comparing them. I don't think this is really that complicated. If you apply to build one thing then build something else, which had a completely different layout to the plans then often they make people take it down. If she'd even built it in the same shape as the original plan, it might not have been so obvious!

Is the problem that she did that of that she used her position as the daughter of a charity fund raised to try and avoid the consequences. Only using one's position to avoid the consequences of breaking rules seems to be common these days..."

Yes she used their name and that's the problem for the charity commission, well and the council it was a lie. But the other problem for the council is that she built a completely different building to the proposed one. It's all a bit bizarre isn't it, on every level. Had she actually built offices the council probably wouldn't have looked further into it and the charity probably wouldn't have known that she'd used the name to get planning x

Tin town

Abd if they havent?

Is the problem that she did that of that she used her position as the daughter of a charity fund raised to try and avoid the consequences. Only using one's position to avoid the consequences of breaking rules seems to be common these days...

Yes she used their name and that's the problem for the charity commission, well and the council it was a lie. But the other problem for the council is that she built a completely different building to the proposed one. It's all a bit bizarre isn't it, on every level. Had she actually built offices the council probably wouldn't have looked further into it and the charity probably wouldn't have known that she'd used the name to get planning x"

Good info. So the implications of a lot of media and posters on here that she has been dishonestly using charity funds are just... Inaccurate... Until evidence arrives to the contrary... This is all about a planning application?

Abd if they havent?

Yes she used their name and that's the problem for the charity commission, well and the council it was a lie. But the other problem for the council is that she built a completely different building to the proposed one. It's all a bit bizarre isn't it, on every level. Had she actually built offices the council probably wouldn't have looked further into it and the charity probably wouldn't have known that she'd used the name to get planning x

Good info. So the implications of a lot of media and posters on here that she has been dishonestly using charity funds are just... Inaccurate... Until evidence arrives to the contrary... This is all about a planning application? "

Yes it is. I think the neighbours get to object to any planning and they agreed it for offices and then saw a pool being built. Dot know how she thought she'd get away with it really! Its not about the money,but not sure why she wasn't just honest about what she wanted to build in the first place!

By *ugby 123Couple 44 weeks ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

Good info. So the implications of a lot of media and posters on here that she has been dishonestly using charity funds are just... Inaccurate... Until evidence arrives to the contrary... This is all about a planning application? "

This one is yes. The media as far as I can tell reported on this.

The last one they reported on was the investigation of the foundation set up in Captain Toms name after his death and wages of employees.This one is still ongoing.

Reporting is not a bad thing if it is true.

Peterborough

"

Good info. So the implications of a lot of media and posters on here that she has been dishonestly using charity funds are just... Inaccurate... Until evidence arrives to the contrary... This is all about a planning application?

This one is yes. The media as far as I can tell reported on this.

The last one they reported on was the investigation of the foundation set up in Captain Toms name after his death and wages of employees.This one is still ongoing.

Reporting is not a bad thing if it is true. "

Sounds like one and the same.

By *imbear1Man 44 weeks ago

ROMFORD

[Removed by poster at 13/07/23 08:11:40]

By *ctionnotwords69Man 42 weeks ago

ENFIELD

"I just think its a sexy title, Médecins Sans Frontières, I'm happy to support them! "

I preferred it when it was Jeux Sans Frontieres.......??

By *ackformore100Man 42 weeks ago

Tin town

"I just think its a sexy title, Médecins Sans Frontières, I'm happy to support them!

I preferred it when it was Jeux Sans Frontieres.......??"

Peter Gabriel's finest?

By (user no longer on site) 42 weeks ago

"I just think its a sexy title, Médecins Sans Frontières, I'm happy to support them!

I preferred it when it was Jeux Sans Frontieres.......??

Peter Gabriel's finest? "

He stole that from the international It's a Knockout

» Add a new message to this topic