FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Prep pros and cons

Prep pros and cons

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *imarkbi OP   Man 21 weeks ago

Crawley

How many of you use prep? Where do you get it from? Any side effects?

So many questions.... any sensible advice will be greatfully received.......

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *leasureseekers123Couple 21 weeks ago

Hythe

As with all medications there can be side effects. I know 2 people who have taken it. 1 was absolutely fine and 1 had terrible nausea and stopped taking it. Not a big sample group I know but something to bear in mind

By (user no longer on site) 21 weeks ago

I never had a problem. I joined the test group several years ago and remained on it until it was ended in 2020, I still use PreP and just order it from the clinic when I need a top up, have all the tests done at he same time

By *orkshireguy77Man 21 weeks ago

Wakefield

[Removed by poster at 18/12/23 17:28:09]

By *andi_kinkygramTV/TS 21 weeks ago

Edinburgh

You can get prep from NHS clinics or private UK online pharmacies . If buying internationally check that the tablets include both active ingredients.

There are potential side effects including interference with kidney function, bone density loss and nausea. Have found it ok myself.

Something I didn't realise initially was that it also interferes with instant oral hiv tests you get for home use. So don't rely upon those while taking it.

tc

Cx

By *ibi_curiousCouple 21 weeks ago

Shepperton

Best to go to a GUM clinic, and get advice. X Mary

Wakefield

It's available from your local GUM- there isn't really a downside to it!

By *ldgeezermeMan 21 weeks ago

Newcastle, Throckley

Every three months at local sexual health clinic

Get checked for STIs etc at the same time

By *ibi_curiousCouple 21 weeks ago

Shepperton

"How many of you use prep? Where do you get it from? Any side effects?

So many questions.... any sensible advice will be greatfully received......."

there are probably helplines online,if you don't want to go into the clinic yet

By *ophieslutTV/TS 21 weeks ago

Central

I've used it for about 10 years and have had zero issues, which is the same as everyone I know who takes it. The clinics do all the tests and monitor you.

If sexually active with multiple partnersz it's wise to get tested regularly anyway, so it's worth consulting the staff at a clinic. Not all staff may be trained to prescribez so you may need a different appointment. Once in motion, everything would be done at the same appointment. It feels good to be doing something positive for your own and others health benefits

By *londebiguyMan 21 weeks ago

Southport

"As with all medications there can be side effects. I know 2 people who have taken it. 1 was absolutely fine and 1 had terrible nausea and stopped taking it. Not a big sample group I know but something to bear in mind "

All I've heard about is a bit of diarrhoea when first starting on the medication.

Happened to me slightly for a day or two.

No other symptoms or side effects.

By *andy ballsMan 21 weeks ago

Oxfordshire

Been using it since the trial days with no issues. Full check at same time as picking up meds every 3 months. Peace of mind.

By *alfordVersMan 21 weeks ago

Salford

I had an upset stomach for the first three months. I'm a coffee drinker/addict and it turns out, for me at least, the tablets don't mix well with caffeine. It was an easy fix: I only drink coffee in the morning, so I now take my tablet in the afternoon. No more upset stomachs.

Apart from the protection from HIV, another advantage is the reminder to have regular STI screenings. Anecdotally, within my friendship circle, incidents of other STIs have reduced since everyone started PrEP. We speculate that regular screening has picked up asymptomatic infections more quickly, thus reducing their spread.

Even if one is using condoms, PrEP seems like a sensible second line of defense IMO. While HIV is not the death sentence it used to be, as effective treatment prevents both ill health and transmission, it is still life-changing. Mistakes with condoms happen, HIV is (very) occasionally transmitted orally, etc. PrEP gives another line of defense.

Incidentally, HIV does not just affect men who have sex with men. IMO, anyone who enjoys sex with multiple partners should consider PrEP as a tool for protecting their health.

By *ulu and MonkeyCouple 21 weeks ago

Durham

We have just started with it taking it event based. The guy normally takes 2 tablets on the day of a meet and 1 tablet per day for 2 days after. The lady 1 tablet per day for 3 days up to a meet and 1 per day for 7 days after. Or can just take 1 pill per day if meeting new partners frequently.

We have found a bit of bloating and upset tummy. Monkey switched from doing 2 tablets on the day to 1 per day for 3 before with the blessing of the clinic.

Early days but so far so good. Nice to be able to play bare and be confident you won't get HIV. Note no protection against other STDs but we don't have many partners and are selective and most things are curable or not too damaging if treated. The clinic will only prescribe if you are HIV negative and have good liver and kidney function. Also you get fully checked every 3 months...

By *aulaC2022TV/TS 21 weeks ago

Clare

Is it expensive

By *econdSideQuestWoman 21 weeks ago

SWANSEA

I was about to ask if it can be used on an as and when needed basis, is that with the advice of a gum clinic, or from online advice?

Edinburgh

"Is it expensive"

Obtained direct from a UK pharmacy it is between £50-60 for 30 tablets.

Cx

Edinburgh

"I was about to ask if it can be used on an as and when needed basis, is that with the advice of a gum clinic, or from online advice? "

There is the option for event based dosing.

Due to the rate different parts of the body absorb the active ingredients the frequently quoted event regime online is for anal sex. For full protection across other sex acts I would ask a professional at a clinic.

Cx

By *ophieslutTV/TS 21 weeks ago

Central

"I had an upset stomach for the first three months. I'm a coffee drinker/addict and it turns out, for me at least, the tablets don't mix well with caffeine. It was an easy fix: I only drink coffee in the morning, so I now take my tablet in the afternoon. No more upset stomachs.

Apart from the protection from HIV, another advantage is the reminder to have regular STI screenings. Anecdotally, within my friendship circle, incidents of other STIs have reduced since everyone started PrEP. We speculate that regular screening has picked up asymptomatic infections more quickly, thus reducing their spread.

Even if one is using condoms, PrEP seems like a sensible second line of defense IMO. While HIV is not the death sentence it used to be, as effective treatment prevents both ill health and transmission, it is still life-changing. Mistakes with condoms happen, HIV is (very) occasionally transmitted orally, etc. PrEP gives another line of defense.

Incidentally, HIV does not just affect men who have sex with men. IMO, anyone who enjoys sex with multiple partners should consider PrEP as a tool for protecting their health. "

With Prep and condoms each being close to:100% effective, using both is about as close to abstinence for safety against STIs as we'll get.

Wakefield

Via the NHS there's no cost. Agreed anyone who has multiple partners should use PreP, although the uptake needed for effective protection differs between men and women and vaginal vs anal sex.

By *eedmyholesTV/TS 21 weeks ago

Barnsley

Google dynamix International it's cheap there and fast delivery

By *moothpussyMan 20 weeks ago

Glasgow

I think it's a great breakthrough in HIV treatment but I fear (some) people may take it so they can play bare but then leaves both partners open to other sti's.

By *lirty_dirtyCouple 20 weeks ago

Lingfield

I have been taking Prep for a year and have had no side effects. It gives peace of mind and the testing is every 12 weeks

By *absFrenchGentMan 20 weeks ago

stafford

Hi everyone, so I’m straight but I often have sex with women and we do DVP and DP and so on so I managed to get myself on the prep via the gum clinic and I’ve never had a single side effect . So I’d recommend that anyone who has sex with others ask for it as you get it on the NHS and since we pay for it through our taxes why not be safer all together regardless of gender ,race or sexual orientation??!!

Save the NHS , it’s ours and it’s there to save us all

By *imarkbi OP   Man 17 weeks ago

Crawley

Thanks for all comments so far..

So for those that use prep..who takes it one a day or who has it only before and after unprotected sex....

By *heltenhamBiGuyMan 17 weeks ago

Cheltenham

I'm on PrEP and take it on a daily basis, as one never knows when a quick hook up may occur! No side effects at all and get regular check ups at GUM clinic every 3 months at renewal.... Full STI screening as well as kidney function/bone density.

I would definitely advise going down the GUM clinic route rather than online. You will have pre checks for any existing infection and blood levels checked for kidney/bones before they will prescribe PrEP for you.

By *utt5lutSouthMan 17 weeks ago

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 19/01/24 20:06:05]

By *utt5lutSouthMan 17 weeks ago

Brighton

I take prep daily and have done for 4 years, never had any side effects.

Check up every 3 months on bloods and all other screening tests.

By *ranfrascoMan 17 weeks ago

Dublin

How much money is it, guys?

By *dnmartinMan 16 weeks ago

Hounslow

Free on NHS and from memory I believe it is the same in Ireland.

They do ALL the screenings ( HIV. Other STIs and liver and kidney functions) and give you another 3 months.

Another advantage of Prep gives SOME protection against Hepatitis. I do not respond to the Hep vaccine, so this is good.

Disadvantage, it can affect the kidneys and/ or liver, hence the tests, however if it does cause problems the dose can be tweaked to stop it, or if not possible, then coming off Prep reverses any damage.

Remember, whist both men and women can take a daily pill , "on demand" Prep only works with men.

Been on it over 7 years with no side effects.

But honestly, to anyone thinking about Prep,GO TALK TO YOUR LOCAL STI CLINIC, it is what they are there for.

By *andi_kinkygramTV/TS 16 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"How much money is it, guys?"

It's about £60 for a 30 tablet supply if you obtain it privately in UK.

tc

Cx

By *ornyscot777TV/TS 16 weeks ago

SCOTLAND

I get mine from the local nhs clinic, was a bit nervous going the first time but the staff were brilliant.

They explain everything, answer any questions you have and you get tested regularly.

I would definitely recommend going down that route.

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS 16 weeks ago

Dublin

"Free on NHS and from memory I believe it is the same in Ireland.

They do ALL the screenings ( HIV. Other STIs and liver and kidney functions) and give you another 3 months.

Another advantage of Prep gives SOME protection against Hepatitis. I do not respond to the Hep vaccine, so this is good.

Disadvantage, it can affect the kidneys and/ or liver, hence the tests, however if it does cause problems the dose can be tweaked to stop it, or if not possible, then coming off Prep reverses any damage.

Remember, whist both men and women can take a daily pill , "on demand" Prep only works with men.

Been on it over 7 years with no side effects.

But honestly, to anyone thinking about Prep,GO TALK TO YOUR LOCAL STI CLINIC, it is what they are there for."

It's free in Ireland if you have a medical card. Otherwise it's best to sign up to the drug payment scheme which caps the amount you spend on meds..

By *ophieslutTV/TS 16 weeks ago

Central

"I'm on PrEP and take it on a daily basis, as one never knows when a quick hook up may occur! No side effects at all and get regular check ups at GUM clinic every 3 months at renewal.... Full STI screening as well as kidney function/bone density.

I would definitely advise going down the GUM clinic route rather than online. You will have pre checks for any existing infection and blood levels checked for kidney/bones before they will prescribe PrEP for you. "

STI clinics will run the same tests and provide advice, whether you get your Prep prescribed there or elsewhere. They have many years experience in running the blood tests, from before it was prescribed by the NHS.

You will get tested every 3 months as standard but you can also have additional Sti-checkups, if you want to or have any issues.

By *idnight_Express69Man 16 weeks ago

Rochdale

So many questions.... any sensible advice will be greatfully received......."

Truvada or its generic equivalents now available as the drug is no longer patented is known to adversely affect kidney function when taken long term.

For many years it has been used as one of the combination therapy meds for those who live with HIV. Accordingly, people for whom this medication forms part of their antiretroviral treatment, kidney function tests are performed every six months to monitor for kidney disease.

Given that prep does not have to be taken daily, unlike combination therapy for positive people, it is arguably less likely to cause chronic kidney disease.

But for those who claim that side effects are minimal, they are misinformed. People with pre-existing kidney issues would also be advised against taking prep for this very reason.

By *rixie_BlondeWoman 16 weeks ago

London (She/ Her)

"Thanks for all comments so far..

So for those that use prep..who takes it one a day or who has it only before and after unprotected sex...."

My gum clinic told me that taking prep needs to be taken daily to be effective for vaginal sex.

I now qualify for nhs prep as although I’m a woman I gave sex with bi sexual men so I’m now allowed to get it.

No side effects but I do worry about potential impact on the kidneys and I’m careful to follow their advice and avoid ibuprofen products.

By *londebiguyMan 16 weeks ago

Southport

So many questions.... any sensible advice will be greatfully received.......

Truvada or its generic equivalents now available as the drug is no longer patented is known to adversely affect kidney function when taken long term.

For many years it has been used as one of the combination therapy meds for those who live with HIV. Accordingly, people for whom this medication forms part of their antiretroviral treatment, kidney function tests are performed every six months to monitor for kidney disease.

Given that prep does not have to be taken daily, unlike combination therapy for positive people, it is arguably less likely to cause chronic kidney disease.

But for those who claim that side effects are minimal, they are misinformed. People with pre-existing kidney issues would also be advised against taking prep for this very reason. "

On prescribed PrEP, you are tested at minimum ecer 12 weeks and one of the tests is kidney function.

They monitor it quite carefully.

» Add a new message to this topic