FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Tonsillectomy

Tonsillectomy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ady Curvaceous OP   Woman 14 weeks ago

Kent

This place seems like the best place to post this, I am asking for genuine advice here.

I had a tonsillectomy yesterday, and when I came round I projectile vomited blood everywhere and it was pouring out my mouth so they knocked me back out and took me down for a second emergency surgery to fix it. Apparently 1 in 4 get excessive bleeding after a tonsillectomy, and I was the unlucky 1. I just got out of hospital and am now home.

I am in pain. Yes my throat is very sore but the rest of me feels like they jumped up and down on my chest, kicked me in the ribs and spine and used me as a punch bag. I can barely walk or move. I've had surgery before and not felt like this, it hurts to even breath. Obviously my throat is ridiculously sore as well but that's actually coming in second place to the rest of my body. This isn't normal right? I asked them and they said it was normal for the body to ache, but this is way more than an "ache".

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice on helping the healing of a tonsillectomy along? I know it's only day 2 but I'm utterly miserable and in a level of pain that seems at odds with the procedure I had.

Currently have paracetamol, diclofenac, codeine and difflam spray.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *cottish guy 555Man 14 weeks ago

London

Have you tried 111? I know that they're relatively useless but I'd look for another opinion. What you're describing sounds awful.

By *estivalMan 14 weeks ago

borehamwood

Had two lots of surgery within days of eachother a cpl of years ago, after the 2nd surgery i felt like i had been run over, lasted a couple of days

Kent

"Had two lots of surgery within days of eachother a cpl of years ago, after the 2nd surgery i felt like i had been run over, lasted a couple of days"

Yes I had 2 surgeries same day back to back. Feeling like I've been run over is an accurate description

By *estivalMan 14 weeks ago

borehamwood

"Had two lots of surgery within days of eachother a cpl of years ago, after the 2nd surgery i felt like i had been run over, lasted a couple of days

Yes I had 2 surgeries same day back to back. Feeling like I've been run over is an accurate description "

also had really bad pains in shoulder afterwards, when i asked them about it was told it was a reaction to the anesthetic, first op was done using epidiral second op was done knocking me out with jab and mask

Kent

[Removed by poster at 08/02/24 18:54:16]

Kent

"Had two lots of surgery within days of eachother a cpl of years ago, after the 2nd surgery i felt like i had been run over, lasted a couple of days

Yes I had 2 surgeries same day back to back. Feeling like I've been run over is an accurate description also had really bad pains in shoulder afterwards, when i asked them about it was told it was a reaction to the anesthetic, first op was done using epidiral second op was done knocking me out with jab and mask"

First one they were injecting me with fentanyl, as the last thing I remember was us having a conversation about Prince dying from a fentanyl overdose and them discussing whether Michael Jackson died of the same or something different. The second time I don't know what happened, I just remember vomiting tons of blood and then an alarm going off, no idea what method they used to knock me out, but it feels like they beat me to sleep second time round.

By *melie LALWoman 14 weeks ago

Peterborough

If you got a telephone number to ring, in the aftercare leaflet, please ring. I'm aware different hospitals will have varying processes.

If you didn't, and was on a ward post op, ring them.

Otherwise ring 111. Do ensure you're taking analgesia as advised. Some people are reluctant and therefore in more pain than necessary.

Hope it settles for you soon.

By *icecouple561Couple 14 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

This happened to me but when I was a child and not until a week after surgery.

Honestly I would say if you feel no better in an hour call 999. If you're reluctant to do that 111 or your out of hours doctor

By *adCherriesCouple 14 weeks ago

Cheshire/Northwest

"This place seems like the best place to post this, I am asking for genuine advice here.

I had a tonsillectomy yesterday, and when I came round I projectile vomited blood everywhere and it was pouring out my mouth so they knocked me back out and took me down for a second emergency surgery to fix it. Apparently 1 in 4 get excessive bleeding after a tonsillectomy, and I was the unlucky 1. I just got out of hospital and am now home.

I am in pain. Yes my throat is very sore but the rest of me feels like they jumped up and down on my chest, kicked me in the ribs and spine and used me as a punch bag. I can barely walk or move. I've had surgery before and not felt like this, it hurts to even breath. Obviously my throat is ridiculously sore as well but that's actually coming in second place to the rest of my body. This isn't normal right? I asked them and they said it was normal for the body to ache, but this is way more than an "ache".

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice on helping the healing of a tonsillectomy along? I know it's only day 2 but I'm utterly miserable and in a level of pain that seems at odds with the procedure I had.

"

Ouch that sounds horrendous! I was supposed to have that done a few years a go but my GP told me not to because of situations like yours.

You know your own body so listen to what its saying. If you think its bad skip 111 and get yourself to A & E its better to be safe than sorry.

Mr

By *ornucopiaMan 14 weeks ago

Bexley

Commiserations.

Had that done as a teenager and it wasn't fun.

Sounds like the two general anesthetics in a row was the main cause of the excessive after effects but the bleeding sounds rather exceptional.

The good thing you will have to look forward to is booking yourself into Silverleigh again when you feel well enough to celebrate the eventual success of the operation!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

By *ickNick500Man 14 weeks ago

Herts

Hi Lady C,

In addition to the anaesthetic (X3), if your throat was bleeding a lot, maybe they had to put tubes down to clear your airways and/or pump your stomach?

Tonsillectomy is a nasty operation at the best of times but it sounds like you got the worst of it.

Hopefully you will be feeling better soon (eat as much ice cream as you can ) and will quickly be back to your amazing best.

Kent

Thanks all. I didn't get an after care leaflet, just some meds with a schedule of when to take them. Going to give it 24 hours and see if it's still bad, for now I've got some hot water bottles on my ribs and back and in bed.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Thanks all. I didn't get an after care leaflet, just some meds with a schedule of when to take them. Going to give it 24 hours and see if it's still bad, for now I've got some hot water bottles on my ribs and back and in bed. "

I'm guessing that as your second surgery was an emergency that they were less gentle with you from necessity and that's what's causing your pain. Hope you're a bit better tomorrow. I know that Mr N was terribly bruised all across his chest after one surgery

Herts

"Hi Lady C,

In addition to the anaesthetic (X3), if your throat was bleeding a lot, maybe they had to put tubes down to clear your airways and/or pump your stomach?

Tonsillectomy is a nasty operation at the best of times but it sounds like you got the worst of it.

Hopefully you will be feeling better soon (eat as much ice cream as you can ) and will quickly be back to your amazing best."

I meant X2!

By *ongJohnSilva08Man 14 weeks ago

Right up your street

I had this as a teenager.

A couple of days after having my tonsils removed a had the bleeding, literally just pouring from my mouth. It wasn’t pleasant, but I was told the wound hadn’t been properly sealed.

If my memory serves me right, you’ll just have to ride it out for a couple more days.

Try a warm blackcurrant drink, or a warm Honey & Lemon drink (even a drop of brandy for medicinal purposes)

By *ophieslutTV/TS 14 weeks ago

Central

111 or A&E

Forum Mod

East Sussex

How are you this morning op?

By *ocGMan 14 weeks ago

Leicesters

You shouldn't be in that much pain although projectile vomiting may strain the muscles between your ribs. I'd seek additional advice from GP or 111. Feel better

By *imandher123456Couple 14 weeks ago

gosport

Had a tonsillectomy a good few years ago , was told it would be painful after for a few days , fast forward a few days and I was curled up in a ball crying with pain .... Eventually went back to docs as was sure this wasn't right , turns out the tonsil beds had got infected after surgery .... Anti biotics and after a few days the pain was back to what I guess it was supposed to be ....

Maybe worth a GP visit OP ? .... Good luck

By *andyman666Man 14 weeks ago

North Walsham

You are in danger of overdosing on pain killers. Take reccomended dose of paracetemol only and gargle with salted water.

By *ngermungerMan 14 weeks ago

Surrey

They wouldn't even take my dad's tonsils out when he was diagnosed with throat cancer because of the excessive bleeding and side effects .hope your feeling better soon

Kent

[Removed by poster at 09/02/24 15:54:15]

Kent

I'm utterly miserable. I'm not overdosing on pain killers, I know what I'm taking and I often have to wait a couple of hours with the pain til I can take the next lot.

Spoke to Dr they said me being manhandled onto and off the operating table twice and being intubated twice was probably why my body is hurting so much.

Throat is so sore. No more bleeding at the moment, been in bed all day curled up in a ball around some hot water bottles. Need to keep an eye out for infection and other than that, I just have to ride it out. Honestly I feel like a pathetic baby, I thought I had a pretty high pain threshold but this is something else, I want a hug but it would hurt too much!

Thanks for everyone's advice and niceness, makes me not feel so alone.

Peterborough

" You are in danger of overdosing on pain killers. Take reccomended dose of paracetemol only and gargle with salted water."

Absolutely not! She has been guided by professionals!

Peterborough

"I'm utterly miserable. I'm not overdosing on pain killers, I know what I'm taking and I often have to wait a couple of hours with the pain til I can take the next lot.

Spoke to Dr they said me being manhandled onto and off the operating table twice and being intubated twice was probably why my body is hurting so much.

Throat is so sore. No more bleeding at the moment, been in bed all day curled up in a ball around some hot water bottles. Need to keep an eye out for infection and other than that, I just have to ride it out. Honestly I feel like a pathetic baby, I thought I had a pretty high pain threshold but this is something else, I want a hug but it would hurt too much!

Thanks for everyone's advice and niceness, makes me not feel so alone. "

Have virtual hugs OP x

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I'm utterly miserable. I'm not overdosing on pain killers, I know what I'm taking and I often have to wait a couple of hours with the pain til I can take the next lot.

Thanks for everyone's advice and niceness, makes me not feel so alone. "

You poor thing . Hope you start to feel a bit better tomorrow.

Kent

Thanks for everyone's advice and niceness, makes me not feel so alone.

You poor thing . Hope you start to feel a bit better tomorrow. "

Thank you x

By *3xymamaWoman 14 weeks ago

RCT

Sorry to hear you're so poorly. Complications after tonsillectomy is secondary bleeding. Sounds like they got that sorted though. Take your prescribed analgesia but be careful with diclofenac. This can caused irritation to the stomach. After my tonsillectomy I was discouraged from eating jelly, ice cream, soft foods. Encouraged to eat things like toast, crisps. These types of foods help to de-slough, get all the crap off the area. Lots of drinks, not alcohol to keep you hydrated though. Hope you start to feel better pretty soon. Keep an eye on your temperature make sure no fever as could be sign of infection

Kent

"Sorry to hear you're so poorly. Complications after tonsillectomy is secondary bleeding. Sounds like they got that sorted though. Take your prescribed analgesia but be careful with diclofenac. This can caused irritation to the stomach. After my tonsillectomy I was discouraged from eating jelly, ice cream, soft foods. Encouraged to eat things like toast, crisps. These types of foods help to de-slough, get all the crap off the area. Lots of drinks, not alcohol to keep you hydrated though. Hope you start to feel better pretty soon. Keep an eye on your temperature make sure no fever as could be sign of infection "

Yes I've been told to eat scratchy foods, not really feeling up to eating at the moment, but that's complicated further by me having a gastric sleeve last year and I haven't felt physical hunger since.

Wondered if I could have a vodka or two to help instead of my next round of pills, but I'm guessing not

Herts

You haven't lost your sense of humour, Lady C!!

Keep it up. You'll soon be through this x

Kent

"You haven't lost your sense of humour, Lady C!!

Keep it up. You'll soon be through this x"

Wasn't even joking lol. But good to hear from you, and coincidentally the last time we saw each other I had tonsillitis!

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple 14 weeks ago

Watford

Why is it that nobody simply vomits anymore?

You know, plain and simple vomiting like we all used to do.

It's always "I projectile vomited" now.

By *ir-spunk-alotMan 14 weeks ago

south coast

"This place seems like the best place to post this, I am asking for genuine advice here.

"

Have no advice but wishing you a speedy recovery.

Herts

"You haven't lost your sense of humour, Lady C!!

Keep it up. You'll soon be through this x

Wasn't even joking lol. But good to hear from you, and coincidentally the last time we saw each other I had tonsillitis!"

Yes that's true! At least you can't get tonsillitis again? X

Herts

"Why is it that nobody simply vomits anymore?

"

Maybe it is appropriate in this instance? Sounds to me like it was pretty serious.

By *o scandalousWoman 14 weeks ago

Glasgow

"

When I had my tonsils out I did projectile vomit at least a good 6feet. Several times. Black blood and ice cream mix. So perhaps it was a good description.

Kent

"

My stomach was full of blood. I sat up quickly and I projectile vomited so violently it hit the end of the bed and covered 3 members of staff, myself and my bed. I was also panicking and moving around which splashed it about some more. The parody of The Exorcist, called "Repossessed" has a scene in it quite similar.

They rushed to give me a grey kidney dish which I then "politely" vomited into, and then another after that to catch the blood pouring from my mouth before they knocked me out and took me back to surgery.

Thanks for your input though.

By *ubeeStarrXoXTV/TS 14 weeks ago

Leeds

Hello OP, hope you’re feeling better today. I had my tonsils removed a few years ago & I can’t remember if I was in pain body wise but in my throat I have never in my life felt pain like it. I seen in one of your comments you didn’t get an aftercare leaflet which I’m surprised with as I got loads of information after mine and also a direct number incase I needed them and I did call them once with an issue and they got me in ASAP (told me to go straight down) but mine was done at the Nuffield hospital so not sure if that’s why? I also seen you’re taking difflam spray but I’m not sure if you’re aware they also do a difflam mouthwash (I did use both) but I personally feel like the mouthwash worked best for me. Wishing you a speedy recovery x

By *LFB.Woman 14 weeks ago

Farnborough.

My daughter had a tonsillectomy late last year day 5 was the worst for pain. She couldn't eat but sipping cold milk helped as it lined the throat. Once the scabs start coming away you will start to feel better.

Kent

"Hello OP, hope you’re feeling better today. I had my tonsils removed a few years ago & I can’t remember if I was in pain body wise but in my throat I have never in my life felt pain like it. I seen in one of your comments you didn’t get an aftercare leaflet which I’m surprised with as I got loads of information after mine and also a direct number incase I needed them and I did call them once with an issue and they got me in ASAP (told me to go straight down) but mine was done at the Nuffield hospital so not sure if that’s why? I also seen you’re taking difflam spray but I’m not sure if you’re aware they also do a difflam mouthwash (I did use both) but I personally feel like the mouthwash worked best for me. Wishing you a speedy recovery x"

No I was just told to go to A&E if I started to bleed. Didn't know about mouthwash, they gave me a bottle of difflam spray. I've been rinsing with corsodyl as my mouth feels yuck.

By *exy CJWoman 14 weeks ago

Launceston

Sorry you're feeling so bad OP. Please stick to the difflam spray. Not corsodyl. It's much better! Plus the spray can be directed to where you need it! (If u keep using the corsodyl you may not like the brown staining on your teeth when you start feeling better)

Ps I know you were joking, but really...no alcohol, it could set you off bleeding again!!

Hope you start feeling better soon xxx

By *otleyMan 14 weeks ago

Burton-on-Trent

"

I have had a tonsillectomy and was the best thing I could have done. Did not have quite the reaction you did but was spitting up Blood for a couple days after. I have not actually been ill since (was having tonsillitis at least 5 times and year and often full on Quinsy) apart from a couple of bouts of COVID.

Kent

"I had this as a teenager.

A couple of days after having my tonsils removed a had the bleeding, literally just pouring from my mouth. It wasn’t pleasant, but I was told the wound hadn’t been properly sealed.

If my memory serves me right, you’ll just have to ride it out for a couple more days.

Try a warm blackcurrant drink, or a warm Honey & Lemon drink (even a drop of brandy for medicinal purposes) "

So I had a massive bleed at 4am this morning, it woke me up and I literally soaked a hand towel. I was getting ready to go to A&E and it stopped, so I stayed home and it's not bled since. But that was scary, if it happens again I'll go up there as the amount of blood was ridiculous.

Right up your street

Try a warm blackcurrant drink, or a warm Honey & Lemon drink (even a drop of brandy for medicinal purposes)

So I had a massive bleed at 4am this morning, it woke me up and I literally soaked a hand towel. I was getting ready to go to A&E and it stopped, so I stayed home and it's not bled since. But that was scary, if it happens again I'll go up there as the amount of blood was ridiculous. "

I bet it was scary.

Is the pain any less yet?

Sending hugs

Kent

So I had a massive bleed at 4am this morning, it woke me up and I literally soaked a hand towel. I was getting ready to go to A&E and it stopped, so I stayed home and it's not bled since. But that was scary, if it happens again I'll go up there as the amount of blood was ridiculous.

I bet it was scary.

Sending hugs"

Pain is actually worse now but surgeon told me it would be from day 3 til about day 9. On day 3 now so only a few more days to go. My body doesn't hurt nearly half as much, it's just my throat.

Right up your street

I bet it was scary.

Sending hugs

Pain is actually worse now but surgeon told me it would be from day 3 til about day 9. On day 3 now so only a few more days to go. My body doesn't hurt nearly half as much, it's just my throat. "

Well I suppose that’s a positive that your body doesn’t hurt as much.

Warm drinks to try and soothe your throat (if it helps) x

By *quirrel!Man 14 weeks ago

L

"

I had a different operation but have to say I could not move for the pain. In the evening I thought I was going into shock.

I rode it out, and recovery was long.

So, hang in there - you have my sympathy x

Please also contact the hospital if the pain is too much to bear x

Kent

I had a different operation but have to say I could not move for the pain. In the evening I thought I was going into shock.

I rode it out, and recovery was long.

So, hang in there - you have my sympathy x

Please also contact the hospital if the pain is too much to bear x"

Thank you. It's easing now. Think I'll go to the spa Monday and sit in a hot jacuzzi for as long as possible to get rid of the aches

By *ourotherMan 14 weeks ago

Hereford

How did I manage having mine out aged 6

I remember the ice cream and jelly 4 hours later helped.

Hope you feel much better very soon.

By *luttyLaylaWoman 13 weeks ago

North West

I had mine out last year and I’m so grateful for it now.

I definitely didn’t feel like that though. I didn’t have any complications but woke up feeling fine with paracetamol.

I was pain free for about 4-5 days. But day 7-15 or so I felt like someone had slit my throat with a spoon… I was so under prepared for how painful it would be!

A year on and I’d do it all over again tomorrow!

Ps, difflam mouth wash is better than the spray IMO… Xx

By *olfandtazCouple 13 weeks ago

Bristol

I've had 2 surgeries before, 1st one I was rushed in for a stent in my heart and the 2nd one was exploratory, I certainly felt alot worse after the 2nd. It lasted a couple of days after, I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

Hopefully it will pass soon for you OP, I would say if it feels that bad then ring the ward back with your worries, they would be the best people to talk to.

By *ady Curvaceous OP   Woman 13 weeks ago

Kent

"I had mine out last year and I’m so grateful for it now.

I definitely didn’t feel like that though. I didn’t have any complications but woke up feeling fine with paracetamol.

I was pain free for about 4-5 days. But day 7-15 or so I felt like someone had slit my throat with a spoon… I was so under prepared for how painful it would be!

Ps, difflam mouth wash is better than the spray IMO… Xx"

Day 4 for me and the pain is pretty outrageous. Just living from one set of painkillers until the next. The body aches are mostly gone. Bern told too look out for infection but seeing as my throat is raw and covered in white, I'm not sure how I'd know !

By *ongJohnSilva08Man 13 weeks ago

Right up your street

[Removed by poster at 11/02/24 19:38:44]

By *ongJohnSilva08Man 13 weeks ago

Right up your street

Day 4 for me and the pain is pretty outrageous. Just living from one set of painkillers until the next. The body aches are mostly gone. Bern told too look out for infection but seeing as my throat is raw and covered in white, I'm not sure how I'd know !"

If it gets infected you’ll probably be able to notice the change in the smell of your breath x

By *luttyLaylaWoman 13 weeks ago

North West

Day 4 for me and the pain is pretty outrageous. Just living from one set of painkillers until the next. The body aches are mostly gone. Bern told too look out for infection but seeing as my throat is raw and covered in white, I'm not sure how I'd know !"

No mine was white until about day 12 and then it started to come away.

I started eating normally as soon as possible (with strong pain killers) so I couldn’t feel the white scabs come away. That was the main thing I was worried about cos I knew I’d be sick!

Mine felt tight for about a month, like it was new skin stretching but honestly, touch wood, definitely worth it now x

Kent

Day 4 for me and the pain is pretty outrageous. Just living from one set of painkillers until the next. The body aches are mostly gone. Bern told too look out for infection but seeing as my throat is raw and covered in white, I'm not sure how I'd know !

No mine was white until about day 12 and then it started to come away.

I started eating normally as soon as possible (with strong pain killers) so I couldn’t feel the white scabs come away. That was the main thing I was worried about cos I knew I’d be sick!

Mine felt tight for about a month, like it was new skin stretching but honestly, touch wood, definitely worth it now x"

Gives me hope. I know I won't keep getting tonsillitis now, but jeez there is a lot of truth in the saying "no pain, no gain".

By *ellaseasWoman 13 weeks ago

catch me if you can

You have my utmost sympathy. I had mine roved as an adult and it was quite simply the worst pain I've ever experienced.

I'd actually rather give birth.

Time. Give it time. Sending love x

By (user no longer on site) 13 weeks ago

Hi Lady C, I didn't see in the other posts or yours if you have someone with you, if you haven't might be worth asking a friend or relative to come and give you a hand for a couple of days. Appreciate that I'm a little late to this party but just thought I'd put it out there.

Sounds like you've had a terrible experience. Wishing you a speedy recovery

Kent

"You have my utmost sympathy. I had mine roved as an adult and it was quite simply the worst pain I've ever experienced.

I'd actually rather give birth.

Time. Give it time. Sending love x"

Thank you x

Kent

"Hi Lady C, I didn't see in the other posts or yours if you have someone with you, if you haven't might be worth asking a friend or relative to come and give you a hand for a couple of days. Appreciate that I'm a little late to this party but just thought I'd put it out there.

Sounds like you've had a terrible experience. Wishing you a speedy recovery "

I'm actually ok, the pain in my body has eased significantly, the pain in my throat is outrageous but I'm coping with it by taking meds and sleeping. My husband is helping out if I need anything though so I'm ok. Thank you for asking though

By *reamytitwankCouple 13 weeks ago

Cardiff

Had mine out when I was 35. Was told I would be in pain for 7 days and they were right. Horrendous. 7 days of hell. Told to eat toast and crisps as it would help heal quicker.

Kent

"Had mine out when I was 35. Was told I would be in pain for 7 days and they were right. Horrendous. 7 days of hell. Told to eat toast and crisps as it would help heal quicker. "

I'm on day 7 and still in outrageous pain but I saw Dr today and he gave me a new combo of pills and I've finally got some relief. He said looking at them I've got another 7 to 10 days to go before they start to feel better as I appear to be healing slowly.

By *heorgasmaddictMan 13 weeks ago

Liverpool

OP you don't know me from Adam, but I hope you're feeling better, sounds awful what's happened to you.

I'm going in for the snip soon and I'm dreading it. I've never had any kind of operation and avoid hospitals at all costs.

By (user no longer on site) 13 weeks ago

This sounds like a reaction to the Fentanyl, which is a strong opiod painkiller similar to Morphine & Heroin. And can be just as addictive.

What your describing sounds like withdrawal from the drug and takes around 10-12 days to get out of your system.

You be starting to feel better now, as you describe; and in another few days you'll have forgotten all about it. But be careful with opiates like codiene, etc. As they prolong the withdrawal period.

Hope that helps x

» Add a new message to this topic