FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Car Batteries

Car Batteries

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *un Knights OP   Couple  over a year ago

South West

Just a thought to those not going out. Modern cars still draw power when not used as alarms and other systems tick over quietly in the background.

Whilst most are OK for a fortnight's holiday at the airport car park much longer and you will need a jump start.

If a battery is older and goes to low you may well not be able to recharge it at all.

Consider disconnecting yours if you don't have a trickle charger but do make sure you have all the required codes for stereo etc if your vehicle requires one before doing so.

Don't start your car and run it for 5 minutes a day or similar you will in all likely hood drain more than you recharge from the battery.

Oh and when all this is lifted expect a panic buy of chargers and batteries from Halford and similar.

Stay safe all.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"Just a thought to those not going out. Modern cars still draw power when not used as alarms and other systems tick over quietly in the background.

Whilst most are OK for a fortnight's holiday at the airport car park much longer and you will need a jump start.

If a battery is older and goes to low you may well not be able to recharge it at all.

Consider disconnecting yours if you don't have a trickle charger but do make sure you have all the required codes for stereo etc if your vehicle requires one before doing so.

Don't start your car and run it for 5 minutes a day or similar you will in all likely hood drain more than you recharge from the battery.

Oh and when all this is lifted expect a panic buy of chargers and batteries from Halford and similar.

Stay safe all. "

Great advice. Avoid Halfords though - ideally how to your local independent motor factor. Better service and value. Keep

It local - don’t use an American owned national.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

We trickle charge the Camper - and nothing wrong with Halfords for service and value.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Switch the radio off before turning off the ignition was the advice I was always given. Same as switch the radio off before disconnecting the battery.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Plan to go for a drive every other day,quite pleasant with no traffic on the road

Never gave this a thought. Really useful advice, thank you

By *lanemikeMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Yes, sensible advice. With lighter nights won't be using the headlights are much, so less battery discharge.

Might I add :

just undo the negative terminal, and just needs gently nipped up with spanner when re attaching

As previously said, go for a hours drive out once a week will keep your battery in tip top condition

By *ina VonteeseTV/TS  over a year ago

Leicester

And darlings if you do need a new battery go to tayna batteries they have probably the most accurate reg checker for your cars battery needs

Europarts one is rubbish is defaults to the lower spec batteries and capacity.

Which means that the poor things won't last more than a couple of years.

Oh and it might be worth asking if they can supply heavy duty rampant rabbit batteries too given the current demand !

Lol

Especially if you have stop start technology as those batteries are bloody expensive. Also wherever possible if your car is going to be parked for a prolonged period of time pank it in gear with the handbrake off and chock the fear of a front wheel and the front of the opposite corner rear wheel, this will prevent you handbrake from seizing on

"Especially if you have stop start technology as those batteries are bloody expensive. Also wherever possible if your car is going to be parked for a prolonged period of time pank it in gear with the handbrake off and chock the fear of a front wheel and the front of the opposite corner rear wheel, this will prevent you handbrake from seizing on "

*park.... *rear.

Fat thumbs + autocarrot = facepalm

Also, don't lick your finger and stick it in the cigarette lighter socket

"Also, don't lick your finger and stick it in the cigarette lighter socket "

Again

By *egularLegsMan  over a year ago

Erdington

"Just a thought to those not going out. Modern cars still draw power when not used as alarms and other systems tick over quietly in the background.

Stay safe all. "

This is exactly like Mad Max.

Expect in Mad Max it was all about gas.

They never explained were they got a supply of car battery's from, oil for the engine and of other much needed car parts. So I am told if your traveling across a wasteland sand can quite quickly fuck up an otherwise perfectly functioning vehicle.

You never saw Mad Max trying to flag down a lone traveler in the hope of a jump start.

"Also, don't lick your finger and stick it in the cigarette lighter socket

Again "

Hehe

"Also, don't lick your finger and stick it in the cigarette lighter socket "

Also when carrying your car battery during changing it, do not under any circumstances allow your tongue to touch the positive and negative terminals at the same time.

Also when carrying your car battery during changing it, do not under any circumstances allow your tongue to touch the positive and negative terminals at the same time. "

Again

Also when carrying your car battery during changing it, do not under any circumstances allow your tongue to touch the positive and negative terminals at the same time.

Again "

Don't do it topless and wearing nipple rings

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

"Plan to go for a drive every other day,quite pleasant with no traffic on the road"

That isnt allowed.

South West

Some start/stop cars will have two batteries in the system, one smaller than the other.

If your start stop system does not at first work once back driving you may find that after a couple of long {hour plus} drives it will work again as the second battery is recharged back to operating level.

Stay safe.

"Some start/stop cars will have two batteries in the system, one smaller than the other.

If your start stop system does not at first work once back driving you may find that after a couple of long {hour plus} drives it will work again as the second battery is recharged back to operating level.

Stay safe. "

Not all of them. The earlier ones have just 1 battery, you're assuming we all drive new cars.

"Plan to go for a drive every other day,quite pleasant with no traffic on the road"

Yes same here

"Plan to go for a drive every other day,quite pleasant with no traffic on the road

That isnt allowed. "

It is to go shopping, collect meds, etc.

By *londe BombsiteTV/TS  over a year ago

Stoney Stanton

I'm using my weeny little Toyota iQ to get to work three or four days a week. My 40 year old Mini is always disconnected when not in use. I guess I'm kinda lucky in that aspect.

"I'm using my weeny little Toyota iQ to get to work three or four days a week. My 40 year old Mini is always disconnected when not in use. I guess I'm kinda lucky in that aspect."

You have a mini, I already like you

South West

[Removed by poster at 27/03/20 19:09:28]

"Some start/stop cars will have two batteries in the system

Not all of them. The earlier ones have just 1 battery, you're assuming we all drive new cars.

That is why we said "some" "

Oh yeah, so you did... my apologies

South West

That is why we said "some"

Oh yeah, so you did... my apologies "

No need to apologise just happy if people don't get a caught out once able to move around again.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

yeah me too.

"As previously said, go for a hours drive out once a week will keep your battery in tip top condition "

And be prepared to explain to the nice officer....?

That is why we said "some"

Oh yeah, so you did... my apologies

No need to apologise just happy if people don't get a caught out once able to move around again.

"

There will be a few

By *emma HoldenTV/TS  over a year ago

Ramsey

"As previously said, go for a hours drive out once a week will keep your battery in tip top condition

And be prepared to explain to the nice officer....?"

Reading in disbelief. What part of stay in do people not get? The UK public are making the whole country look thick. Spain & Italy must be looking at the UK & shaking their heads. Presumably people driving their cars for non essential use are the same "fake clappers" out applauding the NHS at night on another thread.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"As previously said, go for a hours drive out once a week will keep your battery in tip top condition

And be prepared to explain to the nice officer....?"

not a problem if you actually have to drive that far. I suggest anyone like me that feels so lost without getting out for a drive.... volunteer for things that get you out and driving x helps you. Helps others x

And be prepared to explain to the nice officer....? not a problem if you actually have to drive that far. I suggest anyone like me that feels so lost without getting out for a drive.... volunteer for things that get you out and driving x helps you. Helps others x "

I quite literally live my life behind the wheel, I drive for a living, get home have a shower, food, then usually get in the car and go out for a drive, I was born to drive it's my happy place where I am at my most comfortable with myself, I'm missing my little evening adventures but needs must and they will return.

At last some one actually trying to be helpfull

» Add a new message to this topic