FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Rishi Sunak to unveil financial aid for self-employed

Rishi Sunak to unveil financial aid for self-employed

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *egularLegs OP   Man  over a year ago

Erdington

BBC News - Coronavirus: Rishi Sunak to unveil financial aid for self-employed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52044542

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ltra72Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

Yeah for some, not all

By *ownhouseTwosomeCouple  over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"Yeah for some, not all"

It's hard to offer a 'one size fits all' deal for self employed as the variants are broad. Let's see what he has to say before we get all doom and gloom! Any help right now would be amazing as our business and personal outgoings are crippling

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yeah for some, not all

It's hard to offer a 'one size fits all' deal for self employed as the variants are broad. Let's see what he has to say before we get all doom and gloom! Any help right now would be amazing as our business and personal outgoings are crippling "

Here Here. The amount of moaning, misinformation & general nonsense being spouted about this before it’s already been announced is getting boring now. Let’s see what help he offers before people start picking at it.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Yeah for some, not all

It's hard to offer a 'one size fits all' deal for self employed as the variants are broad. Let's see what he has to say before we get all doom and gloom! Any help right now would be amazing as our business and personal outgoings are crippling "

You are right ... any help would be welcome, but I do think that there is so much high expectation there is going to be masses who are disappointed with whatever is offered.

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"Yeah for some, not all

It's hard to offer a 'one size fits all' deal for self employed as the variants are broad. Let's see what he has to say before we get all doom and gloom! Any help right now would be amazing as our business and personal outgoings are crippling

You are right ... any help would be welcome, but I do think that there is so much high expectation there is going to be masses who are disappointed with whatever is offered."

Isn't that us Brits all over though? We love to moan...it's our favourite pass time! hahaha

I am trying my best to stay positive and hope that we won't be left in the shit, but if we are, I will enjoy having a jolly good moan about it before hitting the gin and thinking about plan Z! xx

here

"Yeah for some, not all

You are right ... any help would be welcome, but I do think that there is so much high expectation there is going to be masses who are disappointed with whatever is offered.

Isn't that us Brits all over though? We love to moan...it's our favourite pass time! hahaha

I am trying my best to stay positive and hope that we won't be left in the shit, but if we are, I will enjoy having a jolly good moan about it before hitting the gin and thinking about plan Z! xx"

hope it works out .

Think what's getting up some people us the feeling that self employed

sole traders are not as important as businesses that employ.

My point I'd make us they are the most vulnerable because most will not have savings of any worth or access to other money except selling equipment or vehicle to gather more funds. It's not hard for the government to offer the same 80% to them too, simply by using the past three years tax returns. Not need to apply and cause extra work for those sitting it out. Let them go into system and use the information they already have. Simplicity isn't the government's strongest point at times.

By *radleywigginsMan  over a year ago

northwest

All these self-employed people might be regretting the fact that they only declare a tiny fraction of their real incomes now??

"All these self-employed people might be regretting the fact that they only declare a tiny fraction of their real incomes now??"

Not everyone is out to screw the tax man, I do my taxes every year and pay what is owed all backed up with invoices

here

You take out what you’ve put in

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

I hope the measures are adequate!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

They sound it

Forum Mod

O o O oo

He did say at the end that in the future the people who have been helped by this will pay in fairly and the same as others do...I took that as saying, please declare what you are earning in future

I predict a riot

here

"He did say at the end that in the future the people who have been helped by this will pay in fairly and the same as others do...I took that as saying, please declare what you are earning in future"

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Think what's getting up some people us the feeling that self employed

sole traders are not as important as businesses that employ.

My point I'd make us they are the most vulnerable because most will not have savings of any worth or access to other money except selling equipment or vehicle to gather more funds. It's not hard for the government to offer the same 80% to them too, simply by using the past three years tax returns. Not need to apply and cause extra work for those sitting it out. Let them go into system and use the information they already have. Simplicity isn't the government's strongest point at times."

This is what they are doing

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

[Removed by poster at 26/03/20 17:25:33]

hiding from cock pics.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52053914

If I understand it right, we are being totally bypassed.

Self-employed people can apply for a grant of up to 2.5 thousand pounds which will be available in June.

I'm not sure how we are supposed to last until then, or why we get a grant instead of any actual help that compares with the employed work force.

I'm very frustrated with this situation right now and worried about the future in many ways.

I very much hope I misunderstood what I've just read on the BBC website.

edinburgh

"All these self-employed people might be regretting the fact that they only declare a tiny fraction of their real incomes now??

Not everyone is out to screw the tax man, I do my taxes every year and pay what is owed all backed up with invoices "

Same here

"https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52053914

Self-employed people can apply for a grant of up to 2.5 thousand pounds which will be available in June.

I'm not sure how we are supposed to last until then, or why we get a grant instead of any actual help that compares with the employed work force.

I'm very frustrated with this situation right now and worried about the future in many ways.

I very much hope I misunderstood what I've just read on the BBC website."

What would you prefer instead of a grant? Surely money you get monthly that you don't have to pay back is about as good as it gets?

By *heLaserGuyMan  over a year ago

Coventry

I was relieved at the 80% and happy with an average but June ffs?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

a few things....

1) for a lot of people it will not be as good as hoped, but nowhere near as bad as fears....

2) its asking a lot of people to try an make it till june! if you can make it till then you "should" be fine

3) i think the days of self employed people paying cheaper NI are now done, especially if basically the scheme treats self employed and PAYE people the same!

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"All these self-employed people might be regretting the fact that they only declare a tiny fraction of their real incomes now??

Not everyone is out to screw the tax man, I do my taxes every year and pay what is owed all backed up with invoices "

your right not everyone does screw the tax man but a lot do.i can think of the top of my head at least half dozen peeps who apparently havent earnt over 15 grand a year for the last 5 or 6 yrs but in reality they been earning well over 30 grand a year

What would you prefer instead of a grant? Surely money you get monthly that you don't have to pay back is about as good as it gets? "

This, self employed are being given exactly the same as the employed. I dont see the issue myself.

Waiting until June isn't the best but you've go parity now.

And before you say anything I am self employed but very fortunate that my work wont be impacted. I'd be more than happy with they have proposed.

edinburgh

"Yeah for some, not all

I am trying my best to stay positive and hope that we won't be left in the shit, but if we are, I will enjoy having a jolly good moan about it before hitting the gin and thinking about plan Z! xx"

We’d better stock up on the gin before it runs out

hiding from cock pics.

Is fair and right, I had just misunderstood what they were doing and had a bit of a panic. Please ignore my earlier post one above this.

( or if an admin would please delete it that would be even better)

here

"a few things....

1) for a lot of people it will not be as good as hoped, but nowhere near as bad as fears....

2) its asking a lot of people to try an make it till june! if you can make it till then you "should" be fine

3) i think the days of self employed people paying cheaper NI are now done, especially if basically the scheme treats self employed and PAYE people the same!"

Agree

The best thing to help with point 2 would be to look at all monthly outgoings/ commitments and pause them where possible . Mortgage/rent providers and landlords should be in support of payment holiday. Council tax - councils are allowing payment holiday.

Those are probably the 2 largest outgoings .

Pause monthly commitments where possible.

Tap into some of the other government support schemes - eg. business interruption loans to cover if necessary the next month or two

Do the paperwork / applications for the 80% grant and money will be forthcoming .

Newcastle and Gateshead

"a few things....

3) i think the days of self employed people paying cheaper NI are now done, especially if basically the scheme treats self employed and PAYE people the same!"

remember the "money" coming in june is 3 months worth of backdated money....

so the question is as long as the banks are accomodating, for example with overdrafts, till they know the money is coming, people should be okay

edinburgh

"He did say at the end that in the future the people who have been helped by this will pay in fairly and the same as others do...I took that as saying, please declare what you are earning in future"

I think it was more to do with the national insurance that we will pay in the future. I could be wrong though

"a few things....

3) i think the days of self employed people paying cheaper NI are now done, especially if basically the scheme treats self employed and PAYE people the same!

remember the "money" coming in june is 3 months worth of backdated money....

so the question is as long as the banks are accomodating, for example with overdrafts, till they know the money is coming, people should be okay "

He says he hopes people will be able to "access" the scheme "no later than June".

Already I just saw BBC news misquote that and say payments to be made in early June. He didn’t say that. He HOPES no later than June. So could be end of June, but he’s left enough ambiguity for that to bleed into July. Seems a long time. I can understand it’s a difficult process to implement, usually this would probably take much longer yet they have to do it in 3 months. Like someone stated above, if anyone is struggling and will be waiting for this lifeline most large outgoings can be reduced eg mortgage payments, finance, credit cards etc. Even rent seeing as there’s new powers to stop evictions

It's strange that the money is there for a grant but not there to give directly.

Also the administration costs to apply seem pointless, as they know who is already eligible as they will post out the forms.

There will be conditions to the loans before it's released from the banks. This may be effected by the applicants current credit value.

It's strange that the money is there for a grant but not there to give directly.

Also the administration costs to apply seem pointless, as they know who is already eligible as they will post out the forms.

There will be conditions to the loans before it's released from the banks. This may be effected by the applicants current credit value."

I don’t understand your point, what the difference between a grant and money given directly ?

What admin costs ?

Conditions on the loans ? Absolutely, you still have to apply like any other loan. They will expect personal guarantees, and won’t loan unless you have no other option to fund your business

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"Is fair and right, I had just misunderstood what they were doing and had a bit of a panic. Please ignore my earlier post one above this.

( or if an admin would please delete it that would be even better)"

It's understandable for you to be panicking and getting things abit muddled, I'm glad you will be OK financially eventually. I'm sure he said something about money being available via universal credit before June.

edinburgh

"Is fair and right, I had just misunderstood what they were doing and had a bit of a panic. Please ignore my earlier post one above this.

( or if an admin would please delete it that would be even better)

It's understandable for you to be panicking and getting things abit muddled, I'm glad you will be OK financially eventually. I'm sure he said something about money being available via universal credit before June. "

Yeah that’s right. For those that need that lifeline it would be a good idea to get the forms ASAP

Birkenhead/Liverpool

I am relieved that S/E people are getting help and for the majority of people it will certainly keeps heads above water, alongside mortgage breaks and holidays on other commitments.

He did say that it only applies to people who have submitted a 2019 tax return, so the newer S/E people will be scuppered. But I also like the fact that he said that S/E must make up the majority of your income to be eligible. I hate to say it, but I know an awful lot of people who work for an employer and do S/E work for pocket money; I'm glad they are not eligible as they should be getting the 80% furlough money. There are also people who claim a lot of benefits and do S/E work up to a cap so that it doesn't affect benefits. In these cases, S/E money will not be their main income and I think that is fair.

I can imagine this whole things has been a bit of a minefield for government and rolling it out is going to be complicated and timely.

We are cutting our cloth HUGELY to make it until June, by which time, we are hoping that the grant for our income will be in place AND the £10k grant for business expenses will be received. Our insurance are useless, so we are not holding out for that!

Those who have under declared earnings/profit will feel the pinch but it is what it is!

Expect a very uncertain and costly future folks. This unprecedented spending will take generations to pay back and will affect everything going forward; mortgages, income tax, NI, pensions, loans, bank charges, benefits...everything!!! It's all very well looking at the immediate future (I know I am) BUT we must understand that this national debt is going to cripple the country for our lifetime and beyond!

edinburgh

"I am relieved that S/E people are getting help and for the majority of people it will certainly keeps heads above water, alongside mortgage breaks and holidays on other commitments.

He did say that it only applies to people who have submitted a 2019 tax return, so the newer S/E people will be scuppered. But I also like the fact that he said that S/E must make up the majority of your income to be eligible. I hate to say it, but I know an awful lot of people who work for an employer and do S/E work for pocket money; I'm glad they are not eligible as they should be getting the 80% furlough money. There are also people who claim a lot of benefits and do S/E work up to a cap so that it doesn't affect benefits. In these cases, S/E money will not be their main income and I think that is fair.

I can imagine this whole things has been a bit of a minefield for government and rolling it out is going to be complicated and timely.

We are cutting our cloth HUGELY to make it until June, by which time, we are hoping that the grant for our income will be in place AND the £10k grant for business expenses will be received. Our insurance are useless, so we are not holding out for that!

Those who have under declared earnings/profit will feel the pinch but it is what it is!

Expect a very uncertain and costly future folks. This unprecedented spending will take generations to pay back and will affect everything going forward; mortgages, income tax, NI, pensions, loans, bank charges, benefits...everything!!! It's all very well looking at the immediate future (I know I am) BUT we must understand that this national debt is going to cripple the country for our lifetime and beyond! "

I agree with a lot of these comments and cutting your cloth is sound advice.

I hope we don’t get people claiming just for some free cash, as like you say the economy is going to be on its arse for years to come

Newcastle and Gateshead

re: the 2019 tax return part...

yes people need to fill their 18/19 tax return, which should have been in by 31st Jan, but he also gave then up to end of june to get in the returns late for them to be included in the scheme......

By *azmar62Couple  over a year ago

Hinckley

I’m self employed, about fifteen years ago when I first started I took out insurance against loss of earnings, it’s gonna come in handy if I need to claim. It’s a pity more didn’t do the same! But I do feel for all concerned.

By *ilk_TreMan  over a year ago

Wherever the party is!

So if someone kicks the bucket after being unable to look after themselves or their family, does that still count against the Covid-19 stats?

Asking for a friend.

By *ilk_TreMan  over a year ago

Wherever the party is!

"So if someone kicks the bucket after being unable to look after themselves or their family, does that still count against the Covid-19 stats?

Asking for a friend."

Feeling a little more upbeat than last night, but not much...

This feels like a safety net with very large holes. There's a massive difference between someone on paye earning 50k to a sole trader earning the same (or less).

Also throwing in the quip about the inequality of the tax system doesn't bode well for the future. I guess the tories are gonna do what they do best...

He said it will help 95% of self employed people. He said the other 5% earn £200k on average. That’s a totally bullshit statistic because it will be hugely warped by people making fortunes. I’d like to see the median statistic as opposed to the average statistic wouldn’t u ? What about the business owner who might show trading profits of say between 50-60k ? His employed counterpart earning the same will be receiving personal help but not him. That being said they can’t help every single person and on the whole I do think the measures taken have been very good.

Both of us are business owners but won’t be receiving anything personally due to not fitting the criteria. I just hope those really in need get the help they need in time for it to make a difference

By *ildatheart6969Couple  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"So if someone kicks the bucket after being unable to look after themselves or their family, does that still count against the Covid-19 stats?

Asking for a friend."

Yes

edinburgh

I do really feel for the people that are living week to week, maybe earning £500-£600 pw and until the end of just having to live off the universal credit. This isn’t a criticism of what’s been out in place. Hopefully it will be a wake up call for many

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"He did say at the end that in the future the people who have been helped by this will pay in fairly and the same as others do...I took that as saying, please declare what you are earning in future

I think it was more to do with the national insurance that we will pay in the future. I could be wrong though "

I am guessing you are right

» Add a new message to this topic