FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Mortality 1000+

Mortality 1000+

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

RIP the 1019 people who have died.

Now that we have passed more than 1000 deaths, will people take it more seriously?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

The projected figure is about 20,000. Let us hope this is an overestimate.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Some people will never take things seriously until they're seriously ill themselves.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"The projected figure is about 20,000. Let us hope this is an overestimate. "

You do realise even at that tragic number of people its 0.30% of the UK's population

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"RIP the 1019 people who have died.

Now that we have passed more than 1000 deaths, will people take it more seriously? "

Probably not

We're still warming up on this thing.

Hmm I wonder how many of them died from covid19 or with it

By *uttyjonnMan  over a year ago

cheshire

I am very sad for all those affected by the deaths

Does anyone know whether people who pass away are being tested? Or if they have shown signs then the death is attributed to C19

It seems a bit of a waste to test them, I hope that doesn't sound callous.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Another interesting consideration, to add some perspective, is that year on year the number of deaths currently for this time of year is no greater.

I don’t say this to denigrate the tragic loss of life, but simply to suggest calm and considered thought when hearing/reading the constant rounds of “breaking news”

"The projected figure is about 20,000. Let us hope this is an overestimate.

You do realise even at that tragic number of people its 0.30% of the UK's population "

Not 0.03?

I think the conservative figure is between 20-30k dying.

Of course it's not something we wish to hear or read about but sadly we may have to come to terms with it.

Let's hope they are wrong

here

"I am very sad for all those affected by the deaths

Does anyone know whether people who pass away are being tested? Or if they have shown signs then the death is attributed to C19

"

Yes they are being tested

Which interestingly highlights a possible discrepancy in how covid19 deaths are being counted/reported in other countries, particularly Germany, in comparison with how the U.K. are counting them

"Hmm I wonder how many of them died from covid19 or with it "

Surely if someone has comorbidities exacerbated or dies purely from the virus, is a moot point?

You do realise even at that tragic number of people its 0.30% of the UK's population

Not 0.03?"

actually your right. I missed off a zero so its 0.03%

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Hmm I wonder how many of them died from covid19 or with it

Surely if someone has comorbidities exacerbated or dies purely from the virus, is a moot point? "

Its a useful distinction though. Someone asymptomatic for the virus might die of a heart attack, but when tested, Covid-19 is associated with the death but not the cause. It's presumably helpful to know who actually directly die of the lung disease/fibrosis vs who are almost incidentally infected at death? It helps us understand the pattern of infectivity and maybe more about the disease process of the virus.

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

You do realise even at that tragic number of people its 0.30% of the UK's population "

At 20000 deaths it's a much lower % than .3%

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

At 20000 deaths it's a much lower % than .3% "

0.03%

Solihull

Sorry just seen your second post

All good then

yes I ready corrected it.. its 0.03%

Solihull

All good then"

Absolutely, means more of us will get through it Alive

Solihull

At 20000 deaths it's a much lower % than .3% yes I ready corrected it.. its 0.03% "

Already acknowledged you'd corrected it

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

Whatever the percentage there’s an awful lot of grief out there now.

All good then

Absolutely, means more of us will get through it Alive "

Good for you, your compassion astounds me!

"Another interesting consideration, to add some perspective, is that year on year the number of deaths currently for this time of year is no greater.

I don’t say this to denigrate the tragic loss of life, but simply to suggest calm and considered thought when hearing/reading the constant rounds of “breaking news” "

It is true that some of those who have died from the virus probably would have died within 12 months but it is something we don't know unless we look at stats that a GP would record as to whether a patient is palliative (not expected to survive 12 months).

I guess we'll have a better idea what covid stats tell us later in the year with more data.

here

"Another interesting consideration, to add some perspective, is that year on year the number of deaths currently for this time of year is no greater.

I don’t say this to denigrate the tragic loss of life, but simply to suggest calm and considered thought when hearing/reading the constant rounds of “breaking news”

It is true that some of those who have died from the virus probably would have died within 12 months but it is something we don't know unless we look at stats that a GP would record as to whether a patient is palliative (not expected to survive 12 months).

I guess we'll have a better idea what covid stats tell us later in the year with more data. "

Agreed, although I believe the specific figures are actual national deaths stats week by week from last year compared with where we are at in this current year.

Solihull

All good then

Good for you, your compassion astounds me! "

So you'd rather have a much higher % die than a much lower one ?

Your thought process astounds me but hey if you'd rather .3% of us die than .03% that's really compassionate.

Yes, percentages and academic debate etc mean nothing if you or your family/friends are affected.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

It would be my opinion that the current reported deaths are a misunderstood or misleading distraction although useful

My observations are on the doubling of hospital admissions every 3 days

It is this exponential increase of ill but treatable admissions that could / will cause numerous unnecessary deaths as the infection spreads

The reason this virus is so (nasty) is because of the ratios of who is mildly affected those who require hospital treatment to survive

The large number of asymptomatic or mild cases leads to the exponential infection we sadly see of those more vulnerable

As noted above in this mess those sadly near death will be caught and almost certainly die but we have a million deaths and births naturally each year

It's when cov-SARS2 overload our ability to treat and the extra deaths escalate

I hope we can manage to prevent a worst case scenario overload

Please Stay away from people xx isolate to protect others xxxxxxxx

Solihull

"Yes, percentages and academic debate etc mean nothing if you or your family/friends are affected."

I agree with what you're saying, if a loved one has it already the figures are irrelevant.

but the lower the % the lower the chance of any of us getting it so that has to be a positive.

Last post as it's not something to argue about and in sure we all want the same which is the lowest death toll possible and for us to find a cure ASAP to start the fight back

Have a good weekend

All good then

Your thought process astounds me but hey if you'd rather .3% of us die than .03% that's really compassionate.

"

What the flying fuck do percentages mean to people who have lost loved ones? You're talking absolute bollocks!! People are dying, it matters not if 0.06% of the population are grieving, if one person only died because of this it's too many!

"Yes, percentages and academic debate etc mean nothing if you or your family/friends are affected.

I agree with what you're saying, if a loved one has it already the figures are irrelevant.

but the lower the % the lower the chance of any of us getting it so that has to be a positive.

Last post as it's not something to argue about and in sure we all want the same which is the lowest death toll possible and for us to find a cure ASAP to start the fight back

Have a good weekend "

this.. for me it's about keeping things in perspective for me. The lower the rates the less scary it is. X it doesnt mean I'm not taking it seriously

I think there will be a Pandemic of Babies in 9 months time. I mean what else are we supposed to do. The NHS will have a new, more welcome pressure for most I guess. Easily. I reckon a good peak of 200 to 250,000.

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

If thats the case why is this on the goverment web site.

Status of COVID-19

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

liverpool

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid#status-of-covid-19

here

Status of COVID-19

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK."

I read that the status had to be changed to allow more hospitals the ability to admit covid19 cases .

On the higher status only a certain number of hospitals would be allowed to deal with covid19

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Surely if someone has comorbidities exacerbated or dies purely from the virus, is a moot point? "

Havent they changed how they recorded it?

There was a 21 year old from liverpool who Is thought to have died from it but it's not listed as the cause of death.

By *lanemikeMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Stat.... Do not forget approximately 1500 people were dying in Britain EVERY DAY before the virus arrived. That is the "normal" death rate.

Yes, there are tragedies but a sense of proportion is needed......

liverpool

Status of COVID-19

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

I read that the status had to be changed to allow more hospitals the ability to admit covid19 cases .

On the higher status only a certain number of hospitals would be allowed to deal with covid19 "

Ahh right.

On that topic...

I have a friend that lives in new york and his sister works at one of the hospitals there.

Our media here and over there is saying how ther hoslitals are struggling (hence the miletary setting up a load of make shift tents/beds).

But he says that his sister is telling him that the hspitals are so quiet and there is nurses standing around or told to go home.

You never know what or whoto believe anymore.

There is a video gone viral about 2 guys in full on protection suits and masks putting letters under peoples doors at a blockof flats in London (think it was london) saying the homless guy that some of the residents feed and hangs about there was dead.

The women on video is screamimg at them saying he isnt dead she was takking to him 10 mins ago and askimg them why they was spreading fear and who they worked up.

They kept saying to stop filimimg but she carried on, they said tbey worked for one housing and got orders few hous ago to put these letters tbrough the posts.

Its all a bit bizarre

575,000 died in 2009 from swine flu and no panic then or lockdown average seasonal flu deaths is over 100,000 globally

Surely if someone has comorbidities exacerbated or dies purely from the virus, is a moot point?

There was a 21 year old from liverpool who Is thought to have died from it but it's not listed as the cause of death."

this is what I mean.

I think when someone dies who was infected with the virus it becomes a statistic on the news and it doesn't necessarily mean that the person died from the virus.

Solihull

All good then

What the flying fuck do percentages mean to people who have lost loved ones? You're talking absolute bollocks!! People are dying, it matters not if 0.06% of the population are grieving, if one person only died because of this it's too many! "

Keep your frock on man, if you can't have a sensible discussion without swearing it's a poor state of affairs.

Carry on being a drama queen as it's easier than actually reading my comment to the sensible person(not you) before throwing all your toys out of the pram.

On second thoughts please stomp your feet and throw a childish tantrum because someone disagrees with you.

I need a laugh

North West

There was a 21 year old from liverpool who Is thought to have died from it but it's not listed as the cause of death.

this is what I mean.

I think when someone dies who was infected with the virus it becomes a statistic on the news and it doesn't necessarily mean that the person died from the virus. "

That's correct. You'll notice the terminology is died with Covid-19, not of. In some cases, the virus is a direct cause of death, in other cases it may be secondary or it may be incidental ie person asymptomatic and apparently unaffected by the virus.

All good then

What the flying fuck do percentages mean to people who have lost loved ones? You're talking absolute bollocks!! People are dying, it matters not if 0.06% of the population are grieving, if one person only died because of this it's too many! "

We agree xx 1 person is too many dying from this xx mrs sexy bum is a nurse. I just wish for the day when we hear nobody else has lost their lives because of this comes real soon xx

Yes. And your hero did an amazing job. What is wrong with his supporters

By *abrielle247Couple (FF)  over a year ago

PDI Gran Canaria

However many deaths are contributed to this virus, it's still too many. My heart goes out to the loved ones they leave behind.

liverpool

All good then

What the flying fuck do percentages mean to people who have lost loved ones? You're talking absolute bollocks!! People are dying, it matters not if 0.06% of the population are grieving, if one person only died because of this it's too many!

We agree xx 1 person is too many dying from this xx mrs sexy bum is a nurse. I just wish for the day when we hear nobody else has lost their lives because of this comes real soon xx "

In that case ... surely one person dying from flu is one too many?

We spread colds/flu around every single winter season.

There is no lock down there is no economic shut down for 3 months to save peoples lifes from catching that.

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"Stat.... Do not forget approximately 1500 people were dying in Britain EVERY DAY before the virus arrived. That is the "normal" death rate.

Yes, there are tragedies but a sense of proportion is needed...... "

That’s fair enough but surely 4000 bed ‘hospitals’ springing up in exhibition centres in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff and possibly Glasgow to treat coronavirus patients is not the norm. Along with the makeshift morgues springing up to deal with the bodies. And this is required with people on ‘lockdown’. I assume it would have been much worse without these measures in place.

Bolton

Agree with you _layfullsam....

There are some on here who just seem unable to accept people can have different point of view. I can disagree with folk but do not feel the need to insult them or slag them off.

Guess they feel better after they have let off some steam...

Bolton

"Stat.... Do not forget approximately 1500 people were dying in Britain EVERY DAY before the virus arrived. That is the "normal" death rate.

That’s fair enough but surely 4000 bed ‘hospitals’ springing up in exhibition centres in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff and possibly Glasgow to treat coronavirus patients is not the norm. Along with the makeshift morgues springing up to deal with the bodies. And this is required with people on ‘lockdown’. I assume it would have been much worse without these measures in place."

What you say is absolutely true and ,yes, we are in a crisis. I do not underestimate it. Hopefully the facilities will not be fully needed and the vast majority of those who contract it will make a full recovery. When we look back in years time the death rate will have only shown a small "blip"...

By *radleywigginsMan  over a year ago

northwest

Alternative way of looking at the stats...

October 16th 105BC, the Italians attacked the Germans and lost 120,000 men in a single morning.

1938, the Chinese lost 600,000 men over the course of 4 months in an effort to slow the Japanese advance and capture of Wuhan.

Did either of these things stop people? No.

And.. these were entirely fit and healthy young guys in their 20s with great lives ahead of them

Covid is really only killing extremely old, extremely frail people with great lives behind them.

Bolton

" We agree xx 1 person is too many dying from this xx mrs sexy bum is a nurse. I just wish for the day when we hear nobody else has lost their lives because of this comes real soon xx "

The same can be said of Road Traffic Accidents which have been happening for over a century...

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman  over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Until today plenty round here were going out, kids arguing in street, people having visitors over, today i've not seen anything like that at all. Might be coz it's the weekend or might be because people are taking it seriously now.

By *wswing123Couple  over a year ago

irvine

That's what happened to a friend of ours, death cert. states "suspected covid-19"

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Johnson and his government didn't plan and manage this early, so the exponential growth in the number of people infected, because they also didn't impose constraints, results in these people having to rely on a health service that wasn't funded nor supplied with increased ICU beds and equipment, protective clothing for staff etc. By Johnsons failure to act, the death rate is inflated greatly above what was possible. Planning and management of all this should have been ongoing from December and January. The headless chickens since, changing strategies etc, was avoidable.

"Johnson and his government didn't plan and manage this early, so the exponential growth in the number of people infected, because they also didn't impose constraints, results in these people having to rely on a health service that wasn't funded nor supplied with increased ICU beds and equipment, protective clothing for staff etc. By Johnsons failure to act, the death rate is inflated greatly above what was possible. Planning and management of all this should have been ongoing from December and January. The headless chickens since, changing strategies etc, was avoidable. "

And i suppose its all 1 persons fault xx the thing you must remember is he is being advised by a panel of scientists and so called experts so if you want to blame anyone xx its them i blame not Johnson for once xx

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Not to lessen the seriousness in any way , but I wonder how much of a reduction in seasonal flu and other infectious diseases has happened and how many people that would have died from those have died from Corona virus ?

North West

[Removed by poster at 28/03/20 18:30:56]

northwest

"Not to lessen the seriousness in any way , but I wonder how much of a reduction in seasonal flu and other infectious diseases has happened and how many people that would have died from those have died from Corona virus ?

"

Food poisoning is normally a bigger killer than flu. So I expect with all the extra hand washing the total number of deaths will be much lower

North West

"Not to lessen the seriousness in any way , but I wonder how much of a reduction in seasonal flu and other infectious diseases has happened and how many people that would have died from those have died from Corona virus ?

"

This is a very splendid question actually, I'd be interested in knowing the answer too.....

SouthWest Lancashire

"Johnson and his government didn't plan and manage this early, so the exponential growth in the number of people infected, because they also didn't impose constraints, results in these people having to rely on a health service that wasn't funded nor supplied with increased ICU beds and equipment, protective clothing for staff etc. By Johnsons failure to act, the death rate is inflated greatly above what was possible. Planning and management of all this should have been ongoing from December and January. The headless chickens since, changing strategies etc, was avoidable.

And i suppose its all 1 persons fault xx the thing you must remember is he is being advised by a panel of scientists and so called experts so if you want to blame anyone xx its them i blame not Johnson for once xx "

Johnson and his government are more than one person. I think this highlights that more educated people need to be in governemnt if they can't make informed choices.

"Hmm I wonder how many of them died from covid19 or with it "

I really don’t get what ‘with’ Covid19 means, could you explain?

"Alternative way of looking at the stats...

October 16th 105BC, the Italians attacked the Germans and lost 120,000 men in a single morning.

1938, the Chinese lost 600,000 men over the course of 4 months in an effort to slow the Japanese advance and capture of Wuhan.

And.. these were entirely fit and healthy young guys in their 20s with great lives ahead of them

Covid is really only killing extremely old, extremely frail people with great lives behind them."

So it’s ok if old people die then?

North West

I really don’t get what ‘with’ Covid19 means, could you explain?"

So a person died testing positive for the virus, but the virus itself didn't cause the actual death. E.g death caused by cardiac arrest. The cause of death might have been a coronary artery obstruction but the patient also happened to have Covid-19.

So a person died testing positive for the virus, but the virus itself didn't cause the actual death. E.g death caused by cardiac arrest. The cause of death might have been a coronary artery obstruction but the patient also happened to have Covid-19. "

Does that mean the person would’ve died at the same point regardless of having Covid19?

By *ettyboop61Woman  over a year ago

St Neots

This is never going to stop unless they STOP EVERYTHING that includes deliveries just stop and close everything.

North West

So a person died testing positive for the virus, but the virus itself didn't cause the actual death. E.g death caused by cardiac arrest. The cause of death might have been a coronary artery obstruction but the patient also happened to have Covid-19.

Does that mean the person would’ve died at the same point regardless of having Covid19? "

Potentially, yes. If I fall down my stairs tonight and die of a head injury, I reckon I'd die "with" Covid-19 because I have symptoms (not the typical ones, but symptoms nonetheless).

SouthWest Lancashire

Does that mean the person would’ve died at the same point regardless of having Covid19? "

It means cause of death isn't ruled to just one thing, this skews a lot of death statistics actually because many deaths aren't pinpointed to just one thing.

northwest

"Alternative way of looking at the stats...

Covid is really only killing extremely old, extremely frail people with great lives behind them.

So it’s ok if old people die then?"

It’s ideal if nobody does.

But. Fill up your intensive care beds with old people who would very likely have died anyway, and you lose the capability to treat young people that have a good chance of recovering.

The point was this is a natural disaster, and a time of national (and international) emergency. That’s why previously unprecedented and otherwise unthinkable decisions have to made.

The historical examples are of huge losses of life that were completely and utterly avoidable, the result of greed, ego and ideology. And looking back now seem impossible to justify. Therefore, in my mind so much more tragic. But, it seems also so easily forgettable. Forgiveable? Possibly not

here

"This is never going to stop unless they STOP EVERYTHING that includes deliveries just stop and close everything."

Impossible

Be sensible

Personal responsibility

That’s fair enough but surely 4000 bed ‘hospitals’ springing up in exhibition centres in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff and possibly Glasgow to treat coronavirus patients is not the norm. Along with the makeshift morgues springing up to deal with the bodies. And this is required with people on ‘lockdown’. I assume it would have been much worse without these measures in place.

What you say is absolutely true and ,yes, we are in a crisis. I do not underestimate it. Hopefully the facilities will not be fully needed and the vast majority of those who contract it will make a full recovery. When we look back in years time the death rate will have only shown a small "blip"..."

It will be a blip compared to our historic pandemics.

"Johnson and his government didn't plan and manage this early, so the exponential growth in the number of people infected, because they also didn't impose constraints, results in these people having to rely on a health service that wasn't funded nor supplied with increased ICU beds and equipment, protective clothing for staff etc. By Johnsons failure to act, the death rate is inflated greatly above what was possible. Planning and management of all this should have been ongoing from December and January. The headless chickens since, changing strategies etc, was avoidable.

And i suppose its all 1 persons fault xx the thing you must remember is he is being advised by a panel of scientists and so called experts so if you want to blame anyone xx its them i blame not Johnson for once xx "

Also, herd immunity is ever so important. There are speculations of a further wave or two. If we'd lockdown too soon, further waves would be huge. Whereas, hopefully, the way suppression of the curve by the govt will equate to smaller waves (if any).

"

I think if we'd gone on lockdown earlier, then the flu season may have been cut short, only to resurface.

Who knows?!

"This is never going to stop unless they STOP EVERYTHING that includes deliveries just stop and close everything."

It can not be eradicated.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

That can’t be right? 0.30 would be 200k - I think?

I cannot believe I have just typed that.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

I thought 20k was best case scanario, could be 30k or even more by the time a vaccine is delivered

This is a very splendid question actually, I'd be interested in knowing the answer too.....

"

I can help with that. 17,000 is average UK flu deaths. Mostly people with underlying health problems. So over the peak 3 month period of Jan-Mar would be reasonable to expect a good proportion (half?) to have occured during the time scale that Covid-19 has been cited as killing 1019 people.

Maldon

I typed that while drinking wine, watching / listening to a live DVD of Bocelli and preparing dinner. Crisis what crisis?

I’ve just seen the figure from Italy and suddenly I don’t feel so good. Fuck!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Yes, percentages and academic debate etc mean nothing if you or your family/friends are affected."

this is what i was about to say.... its always "just a number" until is someone they know, or someone like a family member".....

so lets call it something else... lets call it a "death that could have been avoided".......

maybe that would take some of the callousness out of some peoples voices....

Maldon

And someone is worried about a condom shortage!

And i suppose its all 1 persons fault xx the thing you must remember is he is being advised by a panel of scientists and so called experts so if you want to blame anyone xx its them i blame not Johnson for once xx

Also, herd immunity is ever so important. There are speculations of a further wave or two. If we'd lockdown too soon, further waves would be huge. Whereas, hopefully, the way suppression of the curve by the govt will equate to smaller waves (if any). "

Herd immunity is predicated on vaccination. If we get our immunity from catching the virus then there is no point. Herd immunity from catching the virus is a cost effective means of the government sorting the problem at the cost of human lives.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"I am very sad for all those affected by the deaths

"

Any who has been diagnosed with Corvid-19 and dies before they recover is counted as a Corvid-19 death.

"RIP the 1019 people who have died.

Now that we have passed more than 1000 deaths, will people take it more seriously? "

RIP the 30 000 people who have died from this virus.

We are stunned at some of the comments here!

Are none of you watching the news?

Four "Nightingale" Hospitals being set-up - do you really think that the Government and NHS are doing this for nothing?

Wake Up people and when you do, STAY INSIDE!

By *igpacketMan  over a year ago

east midlands

There are 49000 towns, cities and villages in the uk. If 20000 projected die then that is less than 1 for each. I know of 2 people already lost due to this and I'm not one to play it down. And the seriousness of stopping the spread is very important. But I think it needs to be taken in account as does those that have survived.

idiots on my street have been partying and having barbecues and stood in groupes of 10 complaining about having to stand apart in shops pity this virus dosent take the stupid scum who think they can do what they want

Widnes

[Removed by poster at 28/03/20 19:14:13]

Widnes

Its a useful distinction though. Someone asymptomatic for the virus might die of a heart attack, but when tested, Covid-19 is associated with the death but not the cause. It's presumably helpful to know who actually directly die of the lung disease/fibrosis vs who are almost incidentally infected at death? It helps us understand the pattern of infectivity and maybe more about the disease process of the virus. "

Having the Corona-SAR-2 virus does not mean you necessarily have Covid-19. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge than I can clarify but, as understand it, you have to be diagnosed with Corvid-19 from symptoms you actually have. I think it's a bit like the distinction between AIDS (the disorder) and HIV (the virus). You can have the virus without having the disorder.

North West

Its a useful distinction though. Someone asymptomatic for the virus might die of a heart attack, but when tested, Covid-19 is associated with the death but not the cause. It's presumably helpful to know who actually directly die of the lung disease/fibrosis vs who are almost incidentally infected at death? It helps us understand the pattern of infectivity and maybe more about the disease process of the virus.

Having the Corona-SAR-2 virus does not mean you necessarily have Covid-19. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge than I can clarify but, as understand, to have to be diagnosed with Corvid-19 from symptoms you actually have. I think it's a bit like the distinction between AIDS (the disorder) and HIV (the virus). You can have the virus without having the disorder.

"

Its not like HIV/AIDS. HIV infection is HIV infection. AIDS is a collection of symptoms that result from a levels of a certain white blood cell going below a specific measure (because the HIV infects those cells). At the moment, anyone testing positive for SARS-CoV2 at death is being counted as "died with SARS-CoV2" at least that's my understanding. So this includes people for whom it may indeed have been incidental rather than a direct cause of death. Happy to be corrected though.

Does that mean the person would’ve died at the same point regardless of having Covid19?

Potentially, yes. If I fall down my stairs tonight and die of a head injury, I reckon I'd die "with" Covid-19 because I have symptoms (not the typical ones, but symptoms nonetheless). "

So why is it that people with certain illnesses are treated as being more at risk if they are going to die at the same point anyway?

I’ll be honest, I find it highly unlikely that people with these underlying conditions would die at the same time with or without Covid 19.

"We are stunned at some of the comments here!

Four "Nightingale" Hospitals being set-up - do you really think that the Government and NHS are doing this for nothing?

Wake Up people and when you do, STAY INSIDE! "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/no-10-boris-johnson-accused-of-putting-brexit-over-breathing-in-covid-19-ventilator-row

If you choose to believe that Boris didn't buy ventilators because he 'didn't get an email' that is your choice.

But the fact is the offer was made on television and was in the papers. The excuse given isn't just pathetic, it's an imsult to our intelligence.

The fact that we are believing the excuse means the insult is more of a commentary.

" https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/no-10-boris-johnson-accused-of-putting-brexit-over-breathing-in-covid-19-ventilator-row

If you choose to believe that Boris didn't buy ventilators because he 'didn't get an email' that is your choice.

But the fact is the offer was made on television and was in the papers. The excuse given isn't just pathetic, it's an imsult to our intelligence.

The fact that we are believing the excuse means the insult is more of a commentary."

WTF are you on about?

Also, herd immunity is ever so important. There are speculations of a further wave or two. If we'd lockdown too soon, further waves would be huge. Whereas, hopefully, the way suppression of the curve by the govt will equate to smaller waves (if any).

Herd immunity is predicated on vaccination. If we get our immunity from catching the virus then there is no point. Herd immunity from catching the virus is a cost effective means of the government sorting the problem at the cost of human lives."

Vaccination would then be for the vulnerable, those who have been "shielded". Therefore, no no point!

" https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/no-10-boris-johnson-accused-of-putting-brexit-over-breathing-in-covid-19-ventilator-row

The fact that we are believing the excuse means the insult is more of a commentary.

WTF are you on about?"

The NHS currently has 8000 ventilators. Not nearly enough.

The EU decided to club together to buy ventilators. Collective buying power. We were invited to join in.

We opted out because it was embarrassing for us for obvious reasons.

Now that it is being pointed out that we are letting people die because we don't want to be embarrassed, the government is calling it an email mixup.

Despite the fact that it was in all the news.

But it seems no matter how obvious the lie we still believe it.

That's what I'm on about.

Surely you are not really that stupid?

Every single country in the EU and the world needs every ventilator they can get.

Every country needs more ventilators, they will be sourced in house, they have to be because no other country is going to let its citizens die because they gave away ventilators.

Herd immunity is predicated on vaccination. If we get our immunity from catching the virus then there is no point. Herd immunity from catching the virus is a cost effective means of the government sorting the problem at the cost of human lives.

Vaccination would then be for the vulnerable, those who have been "shielded". Therefore, no no point! "

So far we have 650 000 people infected worldwide. As a percentage of 7.7 billion it's nothing. We can:

A) Hold this off as long as possible to buy time to get vaccinations for the not yet infected.

B) Just let everyone get it and become immune that way. At 3.4% that's 280 million deaths.

No Government could have planned for COVID-19! It is not the Governments fault!

Numbers numbers numbers wake up it means nothing, how many would have died today anyway. We must have all the facts not just headlines, MSM having a field day again they are loving it.

Having the Corona-SAR-2 virus does not mean you necessarily have Covid-19. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge than I can clarify but, as understand it, you have to be diagnosed with Corvid-19 from symptoms you actually have. I think it's a bit like the distinction between AIDS (the disorder) and HIV (the virus). You can have the virus without having the disorder.

"

SARS CoV 2 and Covid 19 is the same thing.

The symptoms are due to the immune system and organ infected.

Wake Up people and when you do, STAY INSIDE! "

They are preparing for the absolute worst case scenario

Potentially, yes. If I fall down my stairs tonight and die of a head injury, I reckon I'd die "with" Covid-19 because I have symptoms (not the typical ones, but symptoms nonetheless).

So why is it that people with certain illnesses are treated as being more at risk if they are going to die at the same point anyway?

I’ll be honest, I find it highly unlikely that people with these underlying conditions would die at the same time with or without Covid 19."

You'll have to elucidate please.

Vaccination would then be for the vulnerable, those who have been "shielded". Therefore, no no point!

So far we have 650 000 people infected worldwide. As a percentage of 7.7 billion it's nothing. We can:

A) Hold this off as long as possible to buy time to get vaccinations for the not yet infected.

B) Just let everyone get it and become immune that way. At 3.4% that's 280 million deaths."

Wouldn't you say the global govts are working at something between the two with their measures?

liverpool

"No Government could have planned for COVID-19! It is not the Governments fault!"

They carried out a test a few years ago in thr event of a pandemic..like a fire drill.

You would expect some sort of plans to be in place

"No Government could have planned for COVID-19! It is not the Governments fault!"

Actually the German government did just that.

It is not the government's fault that we initially embarked on a strategy of herd immunity?

Who's fault is it then?

liverpool

"Surely you are not really that stupid?

Every single country in the EU and the world needs every ventilator they can get.

Every country needs more ventilators, they will be sourced in house, they have to be because no other country is going to let its citizens die because they gave away ventilators.

"

We were offered some by the eu and refused.

Just an opinion, but I would have thought govts had models for coping with pandemics considering avian and swine flu, and SARS or MERS.

"Numbers numbers numbers wake up it means nothing, how many would have died today anyway. We must have all the facts not just headlines, MSM having a field day again they are loving it. "

Who?

liverpool

"No Government could have planned for COVID-19! It is not the Governments fault!

Just an opinion, but I would have thought govts had models for coping with pandemics considering avian and swine flu, and SARS or MERS. "

Course they have.To not do so would be massively negligent.

Bolton

They are preparing for the absolute worst case scenario "

Yes, it is to be hoped that much of this stuff is not needed.... Government has already been criticised for a lack of preparedness..

But I keep trying to have people adopt some sense of proportion:

Stat.....01 July 1916 First day of Battle of the Somme. 60000 Allied casualties, of whom nearly 20000 died.

Were the medical facilities overwhelmed? You bet they were!!

Oh yes, there were some German casualties as well.

Oh, virtually all the casualties were under 30 years age...

Do not minimise our situation today but do think they need to be considered in some historical perspective.

The economic consequents will be dire and long lasting...

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

All good then

exactly. This talk of percentages is quite annoying. Go tell that to the families of someone who has died. See what reaction you'll get then after you state percentage figures to them. We are talking about people dying here who shouldn't be dying no matter what their age is

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

So close the hospitals, close the power stations, tha gas pumping stations the water treatment plants etc etc . How many people will die then,

When will people grasp that we cannot stop this virus, we can only protect the vulnerable and that means healthy people catching it and recovering from it and becoming immune

I’ll be honest, I find it highly unlikely that people with these underlying conditions would die at the same time with or without Covid 19.

You'll have to elucidate please. "

I think those who are trying to diminish the threat posed by Covid 19 by intimating that it has not caused people to die earlier are being at best disingenuous.

Ok so for those prepared to take off their rose coloured glasses read this article and then decide what the government's priorities are right now. This is not me. This is a newspaper.

"The government regrets to announce that a chance to procure ventilators somehow ended up in Boris Johnson’s spam folder"

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-boris-johnson-ventilator-eu-scheme-nhs-a9429196.html

Bolton

Of course any death is tragic.... I do not need lectures from people. I lost a partner at 48 and was left with an 11 year old girl to bring up on my own, no other family. Friends and neighbours came to my help (what would I have done without them?!!). Oh yes, I had a business to run, so am not unaware of the tragedies people suffer.

"Surely you are not really that stupid?

"

Yes I'm stupid.

I read about our NHS staff treating the infected without sufficient PPE and think what an amazing job our government is doing. They had a two month warning to to be prepared and did nothing.

Wait let me get my pom poms.

By *ternal OptimistMan  over a year ago

London

Isn’t 20,000 the number if we are lucky, it’s be no means worst case

They are preparing for the absolute worst case scenario

Yes, it is to be hoped that much of this stuff is not needed.... Government has already been criticised for a lack of preparedness..

But I keep trying to have people adopt some sense of proportion:

Stat.....01 July 1916 First day of Battle of the Somme. 60000 Allied casualties, of whom nearly 20000 died.

Were the medical facilities overwhelmed? You bet they were!!

Oh yes, there were some German casualties as well.

Oh, virtually all the casualties were under 30 years age...

Do not minimise our situation today but do think they need to be considered in some historical perspective.

The economic consequents will be dire and long lasting... "

An interesting perspective. Now consider that more people died from the Spanish flu than both WWI & WWII combined.

That's when the world population was 1.8 billion (off the top of my head)...

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

"Of course any death is tragic.... I do not need lectures from people. I lost a partner at 48 and was left with an 11 year old girl to bring up on my own, no other family. Friends and neighbours came to my help (what would I have done without them?!!). Oh yes, I had a business to run, so am not unaware of the tragedies people suffer. "

I’m very sorry to read this. It must have been exceptionally difficult for you and your daughter.

I don’t think anyone is lecturing you. You are quoting lots of historical stuff but what people need now is compassion. Numbers and percentages won’t help.

"Isn’t 20,000 the number if we are lucky, it’s be no means worst case"

I believe they said we’d have done very well if we keep the death toll to under 20,000.

here

"No Government could have planned for COVID-19! It is not the Governments fault!

Just an opinion, but I would have thought govts had models for coping with pandemics considering avian and swine flu, and SARS or MERS. "

They do have protocols.

Doesn't matter who is in No.10.

For some people this current situation is an excellent opportunity to be able to happily bash Boris and the Tories.

By *amesoflondonMan  over a year ago

London

hello, this is awful, my heart goes out to all humanity - we have to help each other in any way that we possibly can, the World won't be the same. My European and American Friends ... medics, artists - humans... relay nightmares to me over Skype..

Forget our ego's and politics I say. United we stand, look after our neighbours.

This has a little more detail than PHE.... not a commercial website - public information .. Be ready and be kind.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTKeK no space here no K 9 together allowed here 9vRxgw0KhvKxPCaDrfaHnxQP-n9TsLzsEymviY/htmlview

liverpool

Just an opinion, but I would have thought govts had models for coping with pandemics considering avian and swine flu, and SARS or MERS.

They do have protocols.

For some people this current situation is an excellent opportunity to be able to happily bash Boris and the Tories."

I'm sorry

We should just keep our mouths shut

here

They do have protocols.

For some people this current situation is an excellent opportunity to be able to happily bash Boris and the Tories.

I'm sorry

We should just keep our mouths shut"

No

But don’t make up ridiculous shit and hurl unfounded hindsight crap

They do have protocols.

I'm sorry

We should just keep our mouths shut"

Now you are learning

They do have protocols.

For some people this current situation is an excellent opportunity to be able to happily bash Boris and the Tories."

Perhaps people are bashing him because he had two months notice of what was going to happen and chose to put profit before lives.

here

They do have protocols.

Perhaps people are bashing him because he had two months notice of what was going to happen and chose to put profit before lives."

And we now have the benefit of hindsight

“Oh if only I’d chosen the winning numbers on tonights lottery”

“The government has been too slow to act on this, and they’ve been slow as individuals,” said Dr. John Ashton, a former regional director of Public Health England.

“It reinforces the view that lockdown measures taken earlier this week should have been taken sooner, and raises questions about the ability of people in power, including the prime minister, to discipline themselves. They should all have been more careful.”

https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/public-health-experts-blast-boris-johnson-for-slow-coronavirus-response/

liverpool

They do have protocols.

I'm sorry

We should just keep our mouths shut

No

But don’t make up ridiculous shit and hurl unfounded hindsight crap"

Like what exactly?

They are the gmnt of the day and as we are in the midst of a crises their actions deserve to be scrutinised(ie the link above)

However it appears of you dare to question them you get accused of bring politics into it.

liverpool

They do have protocols.

Perhaps people are bashing him because he had two months notice of what was going to happen and chose to put profit before lives.

“Oh if only I’d chosen the winning numbers on tonights lottery”"

You dont need to be mystic meg to deduce that if you run the health service into the ground it may bite you on the arse at some point.

They do have protocols.

He was being told by virologists and scientists at the time but chose to prioritise the economy, but of course we are sick of experts aren’t we.

I think those who are trying to diminish the threat posed by Covid 19 by intimating that it has not caused people to die earlier are being at best disingenuous."

I don't doubt that covid19 hasn't caused people to die. I just don't believe that all of the deaths were because of the virus.

They do have protocols.

If the same lotto numbers came out in China two momths earlier and it was obvious they would be ghe lotto numbers here too then I would be buying lotto tickets

Funny how it was inforseeable yet there have been people talking about the inevitability of it happening here for two months...

I think those who are trying to diminish the threat posed by Covid 19 by intimating that it has not caused people to die earlier are being at best disingenuous.

I don't doubt that covid19 hasn't caused people to die. I just don't believe that all of the deaths were because of the virus. "

You're right it's a hoax.

I don't doubt that covid19 hasn't caused people to die. I just don't believe that all of the deaths were because of the virus. "

No, a thousand people just happened to have Covid 19 when they died of something that they were coping with prior to having Covid 19.

bournemouth

They do have protocols.

He was being told by virologists and scientists at the time but chose to prioritise the economy, but of course we are sick of experts aren’t we."

He has been guided by experts the whole time, just because you want to blame him for every ones death doesn't mean you can ignore the facts. We are following the same course that every country has, the timing is different in each country but the actions are the same

Bolton

"Of course any death is tragic.... I do not need lectures from people. I lost a partner at 48 and was left with an 11 year old girl to bring up on my own, no other family. Friends and neighbours came to my help (what would I have done without them?!!). Oh yes, I had a business to run, so am not unaware of the tragedies people suffer.

I’m very sorry to read this. It must have been exceptionally difficult for you and your daughter.

I don’t think anyone is lecturing you. You are quoting lots of historical stuff but what people need now is compassion. Numbers and percentages won’t help. "

Babs.....Not aimed at you. Had done a more lengthy reply. Computer "crashed" and I lost it (bugger !!). Yes compassion of course important...

Bolton

So too is some sort of historical perspective. This is not the first time humanity has suffered....

I don't doubt that covid19 hasn't caused people to die. I just don't believe that all of the deaths were because of the virus.

No, a thousand people just happened to have Covid 19 when they died of something that they were coping with prior to having Covid 19."

That reminds me of a movie where a guy is described as dying of natural causes. Then they show him being thrown of a building.

Gravity. It's natural.

Whether you die of a car accident, murder, illness... whatever. You die because your heart stops beating. We all die of one thing. Heart failure.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

My belive is this:

We have lots of ways of dying. People die everyday for a number of reasons. Flu viruses, heart attacks, murders, traffic accidents etc etc.

Do we really need another way to die? I think not especially as this might cause the death of 1000's people. Who gives a shit what percentage that is? The bottom line is that we should all help and stop those extra 1000's dying.

For those that disagree, I really hope you don't loose someone close to you.

liverpool

They do have protocols.

He was being told by virologists and scientists at the time but chose to prioritise the economy, but of course we are sick of experts aren’t we.

He has been guided by experts the whole time, just because you want to blame him for every ones death doesn't mean you can ignore the facts. We are following the same course that every country has, the timing is different in each country but the actions are the same"

If he has been guided by experts why are other experts question his approach?

here

They do have protocols.

If the same lotto numbers came out in China two momths earlier and it was obvious they would be ghe lotto numbers here too then I would be buying lotto tickets

Funny how it was inforseeable yet there have been people talking about the inevitability of it happening here for two months..."

Chinese lottery is different to the U.K. lottery - so not really possible to say there’s a good chance the same numbers would come out

bournemouth

They do have protocols.

He has been guided by experts the whole time, just because you want to blame him for every ones death doesn't mean you can ignore the facts. We are following the same course that every country has, the timing is different in each country but the actions are the same

If he has been guided by experts why are other experts question his approach?"

Because there are always different opinions, it's the governments job to take those opinions and make decisions which is what they have done, they are following a plan, which is the same as most countries

liverpool

They do have protocols.

Because there are always different opinions, it's the governments job to take those opinions and make decisions which is what they have done, they are following a plan, which is the same as most countries"

Fair enough

Just wandered how they choose 1 scientist over another.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

worked on a project to identify potential morgues of ideally 4,000 bodies and support services. For a scenario like this

They do have protocols.

Funny how it was inforseeable yet there have been people talking about the inevitability of it happening here for two months...

Chinese lottery is different to the U.K. lottery - so not really possible to say there’s a good chance the same numbers would come out "

Ok forget the analogy.

It waa painfully obvious that was happening in China would happen all over the world.

We had the advantage of knowing what the virus entailed, how infectious it was, what strategies worked, what strategies fail. We had time to order ventilators, PPE, test kits, block our borders, quarantine people comimg into the country.

We did none of that.

Let's face it. If the government hadn't stuffed people's pockets with money we would be calling for Boris's head. Instead he has bought the nation's affections with borrowed money we will be paying back long after he's gone.

Bolton

Yep, will stretch down to our grandchildren...

here

They do have protocols.

Chinese lottery is different to the U.K. lottery - so not really possible to say there’s a good chance the same numbers would come out

Ok forget the analogy.

It waa painfully obvious that was happening in China would happen all over the world.

We had the advantage of knowing what the virus entailed, how infectious it was, what strategies worked, what strategies fail. We had time to order ventilators, PPE, test kits, block our borders, quarantine people comimg into the country.

We did none of that.

Let's face it. If the government hadn't stuffed people's pockets with money we would be calling for Boris's head. Instead he has bought the nation's affections with borrowed money we will be paying back long after he's gone."

No let’s not forget the analogy, because it actually illustrates quite well why there can be differences in approaches ..

Take off the blinkers

"“The government has been too slow to act on this, and they’ve been slow as individuals,” said Dr. John Ashton, a former regional director of Public Health England.

“It reinforces the view that lockdown measures taken earlier this week should have been taken sooner, and raises questions about the ability of people in power, including the prime minister, to discipline themselves. They should all have been more careful.”

https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/public-health-experts-blast-boris-johnson-for-slow-coronavirus-response/

"

It's not new news to have experts having a difference of opinion.

here

They do have protocols.

Because there are always different opinions, it's the governments job to take those opinions and make decisions which is what they have done, they are following a plan, which is the same as most countries

Fair enough

Just wandered how they choose 1 scientist over another."

Application and recruitment process ...

You’re not thinking that back in October when Whitty won and was appointed, the government already knew there would be an unprecedented situation in the first quarter of 2020 which would require a “give only the advice that the government wants to hear” type chief medical advisor ???

And the chief science advisor.... and their deputies oh... and the other 3 chiefs (and deputies) for Scotland, wales and Northern Ireland ...

These are highly qualified experienced individuals who have nothing but the absolute best interests of the people of this country foremost in their minds

They do have protocols.

Ok forget the analogy.

We did none of that.

Let's face it. If the government hadn't stuffed people's pockets with money we would be calling for Boris's head. Instead he has bought the nation's affections with borrowed money we will be paying back long after he's gone.

No let’s not forget the analogy, because it actually illustrates quite well why there can be differences in approaches ..

Take off the blinkers "

Well in that case Germany got the lotto numbers right.

Please explain how the differences in China and England affect why we should have not prepared?

Do you not understand what exacerbate means? We know the majority of deaths have occurred in people with underlying conditions. Either the virus has exacerbated these (made worse) or those conditions have caused a severe viral infection, or an over response of the immune system (as seen in autoimmune illnesses).

here

"“The government has been too slow to act on this, and they’ve been slow as individuals,” said Dr. John Ashton, a former regional director of Public Health England.

It's not new news to have experts having a difference of opinion. "

Problem is this that particular expert also happens to be a highly politicised Labour member who describes himself as “broad left , radical,non trot , baby boomer , green, gender inclusive , feminist labour .Party member for 53 years” and who also described the U.K. as a “ embarrassing dirty little country”

His “performance” on Question Time 2 weeks ago was shocking, and certainly not what the country needs

They do have protocols.

Ok forget the analogy.

"

No it wasn't. Otherwise that damn word "unprecedented" wouldn't be THE word for this century!

It's not new news to have experts having a difference of opinion. "

Actually there is an entire story dedicated to the a little boy who saw the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes.

The job of the free press is to point out when governments aren't doing their jobs properly.

In recent times we have had stories how someone has said "let the old die" with no public reaction. We have had a fiasco resulting in lost chance to buy ventilators and save lives. No reaction.

So who has the blinkers on?

Do you not understand what exacerbate means? We know the majority of deaths have occurred in people with underlying conditions. Either the virus has exacerbated these (made worse) or those conditions have caused a severe viral infection, or an over response of the immune system (as seen in autoimmune illnesses). "

In other words the virus has played a big part in those deaths.

Actually there is an entire story dedicated to the a little boy who saw the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes.

The job of the free press is to point out when governments aren't doing their jobs properly.

In recent times we have had stories how someone has said "let the old die" with no public reaction. We have had a fiasco resulting in lost chance to buy ventilators and save lives. No reaction.

So who has the blinkers on?"

I dunno, who does? I'm simply stating that there will be experts on both sides of the fence. As for ventilators, I know only what people are spouting here and I haven't looked into it.

They do have protocols.

Ok forget the analogy.

No it wasn't. Otherwise that damn word "unprecedented" wouldn't be THE word for this century! "

Do you know what unprecedented means?

UNPRECEDENTED never done or known before.

You have the Spanish Flu to prove it's happened before. You have a Neflix documentary with experts from around the world warning that it is not a case of if, it's a case of when.

In our case if the outbreak had started in England we would have an excuse. But it didn't. It broke out the other side of the world. There is a name for that. It's called a precedent. If it was such an unpredictable thing why were people in this forum talking about it in January?

Please outline the measures the UK took prior to the first case being diagnosed in the UK.

Do you not understand what exacerbate means? We know the majority of deaths have occurred in people with underlying conditions. Either the virus has exacerbated these (made worse) or those conditions have caused a severe viral infection, or an over response of the immune system (as seen in autoimmune illnesses). "

Yes but some people could of died of other causes and because they were infected with the virus they have been reported as another corona death in the media.

You're right it's a hoax."

No it's not.

No, a thousand people just happened to have Covid 19 when they died of something that they were coping with prior to having Covid 19."

I don't think you get me

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

1019 too many in my book.

Sad to hear this, god bless them.

liverpool

They do have protocols.

Fair enough

You’re not thinking that back in October when Whitty won and was appointed, the government already knew there would be an unprecedented situation in the first quarter of 2020 which would require a “give only the advice that the government wants to hear” type chief medical advisor ???

And the chief science advisor.... and their deputies oh... and the other 3 chiefs (and deputies) for Scotland, wales and Northern Ireland ...

These are highly qualified experienced individuals who have nothing but the absolute best interests of the people of this country foremost in their minds

"

So to sum up..the gmnt have chose the most highly respected scientific minds in the country and anyone who questions this is politically motivated?

Again genuine question.

I do get that on science you will have different theories etc.

They do have protocols.

Ok forget the analogy.

No it wasn't. Otherwise that damn word "unprecedented" wouldn't be THE word for this century!

You have the Spanish Flu to prove it's happened before. You have a Neflix documentary with experts from around the world warning that it is not a case of if, it's a case of when.

In our case if the outbreak had started in England we would have an excuse. But it didn't. It broke out the other side of the world. There is a name for that. It's called a precedent. If it was such an unpredictable thing why were people in this forum talking about it in January?

Please outline the measures the UK took prior to the first case being diagnosed in the UK.

"

Reeeeeeeally. You want our country to be prepared on the basis of the Spanish flu?

I'm sure that our govts have been shitting their pants with regards to pandemics, ie those I mentioned earlier swine/avian flu and SARS/MERS. However, fortunately those never became GLOBAL pandemics.

And I agree to when (as I stated in another post in this thread). It'll also be when for another pandemic.

liverpool

They do have protocols.

Ok forget the analogy.

No it wasn't. Otherwise that damn word "unprecedented" wouldn't be THE word for this century! "

Surely the outbreak of a pandemic would have been prepared for?this was discussed before.

And as referenced Spanish flu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no has just died of coronavirus. They have all had other conditions, but people just seem to focus on coronavirus aspect of there death which is so sad.

An example is a pregnant woman has gone viral because she coronavirus but she also has pneumonia! Which isn't mentioned till right at the end like a side thought.

here

They do have protocols.

Fair enough

So to sum up..the gmnt have chose the most highly respected scientific minds in the country and anyone who questions this is politically motivated?

Again genuine question.

I do get that on science you will have different theories etc."

Yes

I dunno, who does? I'm simply stating that there will be experts on both sides of the fence. As for ventilators, I know only what people are spouting here and I haven't looked into it. "

I can outline it for you.

We were invited by the EU to club together to buy ventilators. But that is an effective reversal of Brexit. Very embarrassing for us.

So instead of being embarrassed we chose to opt out.

Now there is an outcry because of losing out on this opportunity the government is lying and saying they didn't get the email (despite the fact the offer was all over the news)

The NHS has 8000 ventilators. You have the numbers on how many we are going to need.

20,000, is one of the best figers the worst is half a million.

The Spanish flu kills fifty million around the world and they are saying covid 19 might kill up to forty million.

I remember you saying just the whiff of a hi vis jacket brings you out in hives still think the warehouse worker's keeping you feed are scum now

liverpool

They do have protocols.

Fair enough

Again genuine question.

Yes"

Rigtio everyone else is a crank

Glad we got that sorted.

here

I dunno, who does? I'm simply stating that there will be experts on both sides of the fence. As for ventilators, I know only what people are spouting here and I haven't looked into it.

We were invited by the EU to club together to buy ventilators. But that is an effective reversal of Brexit. Very embarrassing for us.

Now there is an outcry because of losing out on this opportunity the government is lying and saying they didn't get the email (despite the fact the offer was all over the news)

The NHS has 8000 ventilators. You have the numbers on how many we are going to need."

What you have written is not the full picture, is it? If you are going to report something - provide all the information

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but no has just died of coronavirus. They have all had other conditions, but people just seem to focus on coronavirus aspect of there death which is so sad.

An example is a pregnant woman has gone viral because she coronavirus but she also has pneumonia! Which isn't mentioned till right at the end like a side thought."

A consequence of.

here

They do have protocols.

Fair enough

Again genuine question.

Yes

Rigtio everyone else is a crank

Glad we got that sorted."

Your opinion not mine

They do have protocols.

Ok forget the analogy.

Reeeeeeeally. You want our country to be prepared on the basis of the Spanish flu?

I'm sure that our govts have been shitting their pants with regards to pandemics, ie those I mentioned earlier swine/avian flu and SARS/MERS. However, fortunately those never became GLOBAL pandemics.

And I agree to when (as I stated in another post in this thread). It'll also be when for another pandemic. "

Is shitting their pants the example you wish to provide as the list of preventative measures the government took?

Let me give examples. Germany stopped people comimg across their borders. Israel enforced a quarantine for anyone coming into the country.

Imagine how much easier it would have been if they were island nations. So in a way you are right, the smaller population in the UK made things easier for us than it was for China. The fact we are an island made it easier to protect our borders.

The NHS has 8000 ventilators. You have the numbers on how many we are going to need.

What you have written is not the full picture, is it? If you are going to report something - provide all the information "

Well then give us the rest.

here

What you have written is not the full picture, is it? If you are going to report something - provide all the information

Well then give us the rest."

You can do that, it’s your post . Only fair you provide all the information...

"The projected figure...

I remember you saying just the whiff of a hi vis jacket brings you out in hives still think the warehouse worker's keeping you feed are scum now "

I beg your pardon? You definitely have me confused with someone. When working in the community, I had a high vis jacket.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Whilst I have every sympathy for the families of the dead, we should also be focusing on how many people have survived as well, it's certainly a lot more than 1000.

liverpool

Problem is this that particular expert also happens to be a highly politicised Labour member who describes himself as “broad left , radical,non trot , baby boomer , green, gender inclusive , feminist labour .Party member for 53 years” and who also described the U.K. as a “ embarrassing dirty little country”

His “performance” on Question Time 2 weeks ago was shocking, and certainly not what the country needs "

Its heartwarming to know btw that a man who has devoted his life to saving people should be ignored and belittled as he has different political beliefs to the current gmnt.

What an age we live in.

here

""“The government has been too slow to act on this, and they’ve been slow as individuals,” said Dr. John Ashton, a former regional director of Public Health England.

His “performance” on Question Time 2 weeks ago was shocking, and certainly not what the country needs "

Its heartwarming to know btw that a man who has devoted his life to saving people should be ignored and belittled as he has different political beliefs to the current gmnt.

What an age we live in."

Heartwarming that he didn’t make the top job and due to his lifelong political affiliation possibly find it difficult to provide balanced unbiased advice to a conservative government