FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Government Nudge Unit - changing your behaviour

Government Nudge Unit - changing your behaviour

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

During recent weeks this Corona virus has seen our society, you and me, exposed to social nudging by the government.

For better or worse we would never have settled for the conditions we have now in one step. We've been slowly shut down over weeks. The nation has been carefully nudged.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/nudge-unit

The Bahavioural Insights Team have informed how the government has taken our roughly free society and 'locked us down'.

We are all wise enough to understand what is and is not for our benefit. So I don't mean to give opinion about this fact. That's for each of us.

I do think it is worth pointing out to others a behavioural change unit is operating within government to alter your behaviour, without you knowing.

Just think through the procedure of getting us all to conform with the physical isolation they wanted us all in from the beginning.

1. First they told us about the virus and deaths in China.

2. Then people over 70 or with underlying health issues should isolate for three months.

3. Next we all shouldn't really be out much and must wash our hands.

4.Then all pubs/restaurants to shut.

5. Then only essential folk should be working.

Our natural concerns for safety and health were used to nudge us to where we are today.

Now we are locked down and emergency laws passed in Parliament we have the idea of a six month 'lock down' drifted in.

The line of nudges has not stopped. More will follow. Perhaps you can spot them as they arrive with us. Many forum posts are speculating about what will come, it will be another small step - one our society can digest.

Cameron set up the Nudge Unit in 2010, so what else have you been nudged to do or not do since then?

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/behavioural-insights-team

Take care everyone

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

"During recent weeks this Corona virus has seen our society, you and me, exposed to social nudging by the government.

For better or worse we would never have settled for the conditions we have now in one step. We've been slowly shut down over weeks. The nation has been carefully nudged.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/nudge-unit

The Bahavioural Insights Team have informed how the government has taken our roughly free society and 'locked us down'.

We are all wise enough to understand what is and is not for our benefit. So I don't mean to give opinion about this fact. That's for each of us.

I do think it is worth pointing out to others a behavioural change unit is operating within government to alter your behaviour, without you knowing.

Just think through the procedure of getting us all to conform with the physical isolation they wanted us all in from the beginning.

1. First they told us about the virus and deaths in China.

2. Then people over 70 or with underlying health issues should isolate for three months.

3. Next we all shouldn't really be out much and must wash our hands.

4.Then all pubs/restaurants to shut.

5. Then only essential folk should be working.

Our natural concerns for safety and health were used to nudge us to where we are today.

Now we are locked down and emergency laws passed in Parliament we have the idea of a six month 'lock down' drifted in.

The line of nudges has not stopped. More will follow. Perhaps you can spot them as they arrive with us. Many forum posts are speculating about what will come, it will be another small step - one our society can digest.

Cameron set up the Nudge Unit in 2010, so what else have you been nudged to do or not do since then?

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/behavioural-insights-team

Take care everyone"

BIT have failed miserably. Their entire schtick is about not being noticed as they do their work, but even people who don't have a clue about behavioural science have heard of them.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's Youuuuuuuu. It's You .......... David Icke isn't it. I knew it was you LOL. Welcome to Fab David. Sussed you out straight away

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

People didn't realise that the sciences were all being worked together?

I believe I am cynical..... I do give people a little credit occasionally.

Ps the police force and many of the public facing government have clearly stated at a variety of times that the whole system was laid out to maximise affect of curve control and public cooperation

"People didn't realise that the sciences were all being worked together?

"

Is it common knowledge society is being changed by behaviour scientists? I didn't know it was.

Who is deciding what needs changing? And what is it being changed to? I missed those episodes.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Is it common knowledge society is being changed by behaviour scientists? I didn't know it was.

Who is deciding what needs changing? And what is it being changed to? I missed those episodes. "

The unelected Johnson adviser Cummings has also been at work. We are supposed to do as we are being coerced to. Propaganda units from the Nazis onwards would be pleased. There's no consultation or agreement sought, because these people think that they know better than us.

" There's no consultation or agreement sought, because these people think that they know better than us. "

Surely we must have given our democratic consent to be nudged. Hasn't this been covered in some party manifesto somewhere? What are the goals of the nudging - it's quite disconcerting everyone but me knows about this deliberate changing.

I believe I'm right to say the Unit exported techniques to Australia claiming they could change behaviour without being noticed.

On this latest virus I agree with above they've failed to hide their tracks.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

Nudged, cattle prodded, sheep dogged,herded... next ? sheep dipped.

Analy probed even, it's all alien to me.

You are right to a certain extent.

I reckon there is a certain amount of "herd" control. Without trying to sound too morbid, it reminds me of the Titanic a bit, crowd control, seperation, waiting for rescue, same time of year (the peak).

I wonder if there is a coincidentle coralation in the percentage of survivors.

I'm not a fan of stats when death is concerned, 1 is too many in my

book.

The future's so bright

Who is deciding what needs changing? And what is it being changed to? I missed those episodes.

The unelected Johnson adviser Cummings has also been at work. We are supposed to do as we are being coerced to. Propaganda units from the Nazis onwards would be pleased. There's no consultation or agreement sought, because these people think that they know better than us. "

If they were to read the forum, they'd think they were right

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

Anyway, we haven't been nudged but pushed into this with measured steps. Nudging is more subtle.

But thanks for reminding me about the nudge theory

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

It's a good job they didn't hold a referendum on it, we would be at it until next year. Needs must I suppose.

When the buildings on fire there's no time for democracy and voting. Get to safety first then ask questions.

the future's so bright

For anyone interested in this I strongly recommend reading Richard Thaler’s book on the subject.

I work in an industry that relies heavily on using it and am all too aware of imperceptible changes having the potential to change my behaviour.

We are all very much slaves to forces beyond our control.

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

People tend to fear change, and 4his has been a big change delivered in small chunks in order to offer a degree of palatability.

As it is, there are still some people who don't comply despite it being spelled out in words of less than three sylables, so there are some small penalties - at the moment.

"For anyone interested in this I strongly recommend reading Richard Thaler’s book on the subject.

I work in an industry that relies heavily on using it and am all too aware of imperceptible changes having the potential to change my behaviour.

We are all very much slaves to forces beyond our control."

Only if you're weak

"Only if you're weak "

I’m just humble enough to admit there are things I don’t know and that I am susceptible to suggestion, cajoling and irrationality.

Humans are such.

View it not as a bad thing but a good thing. Many clamoured for “lockdown” far earlier, but the government needed to take people on a (hell of a complex!) journey in a very short period of time. Had they moved sooner they would have risked civil unrest. How they got to this point of acceptance so quickly with little pushback is a hell of a feat. Some of the autobiographies out the back end will be fascinating!

Be well all.

» Add a new message to this topic