FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > The Germany of the UK?

The Germany of the UK?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Having a look at the stats as of yesterday, one thing seems to jump out when looking at each region of the UK in this outbreak.

The number of discovered cases for every death reported so far for most areas is surprisingly consistent; a range from 23.1-28.6 for 6 out of the 10 given regions.

Outside these the Midlands at 20.1 cases per death and the North West at 18.3 cases per death stand out as being the worst hit areas in terms of actually surviving the virus once you have it.

Going the other way, Scotland's figures show that there's 37.5 cases for every death and Yorkshire and the Northeast defies all logic by only have one death for EVERY 58 cases discovered.

So why is this? Are the hospitals and amount of care given superior to the rest of the UK right now? Has there been more testing per head going on up here to isolate cases, following the trend of Germany and South Korea? Have more people simply been dying at home rather than in hospital, which today's inclusion of those figures may confirm or deny? Or is it simply that the virus was slower to reach the NE and a higher proportion of patients are yet to reach the grim milestone?

Whatever the case, there may be behavioural patterns that the rest of the UK could follow.

B

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

Interesting...

I think the initial reason Germany looked better, one suggestion that a doc made, was that they had more tests and had tested more young people ...who had it but were more likely to survive...

It will be interesting to compare when the dust settles...

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"Interesting...

I think the initial reason Germany looked better, one suggestion that a doc made, was that they had more tests and had tested more young people ...who had it but were more likely to survive...

"

Have a look at the WHO coronavirus site. It has good stats there. One stat shows the number of deaths per 1 million population. UK is at 21 and Germany at 8. Hence it looks like Germany's policy of mass testing and isolating has worked. However, it will be interesting to see these stats again in a months time.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Interesting...

Have a look at the WHO coronavirus site. It has good stats there. One stat shows the number of deaths per 1 million population. UK is at 21 and Germany at 8. Hence it looks like Germany's policy of mass testing and isolating has worked. However, it will be interesting to see these stats again in a months time."

I believe Germany are only registering deaths due to covid 19 if the deceased had no other underlying health issues

"Interesting...

Have a look at the WHO coronavirus site. It has good stats there. One stat shows the number of deaths per 1 million population. UK is at 21 and Germany at 8. Hence it looks like Germany's policy of mass testing and isolating has worked. However, it will be interesting to see these stats again in a months time."

Not only this, but EVERY country that went to town on testing has done better so far in terms of deaths, South Korea and China for the other 2 big examples outside Germany. Put simply cases are identified more quickly so that care can be given earlier as well as isolated more efficiently to reduce the spread.

Germany tested the most numbers per population, South Korea tested high numbers, but used a lot of their tech to contract trace as well, keeping their death numbers down. Interestingly in the virus' peak in South Korea so far there was only one city put into total lockdown, relying on testing and isolating correctly as the rest of the strategy, meaning not only has the death rate been kept comparatively low but the damage to their economy will be less severe.

Time will tell...

B

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I think that the difference depends on how the country defines a Covid-19 death and how much testing is being done.

For example, my husband knows a person who required hospital treatment and has all the symptoms but hasn't been tested...

Scunthorpe

I would add that the lack of testing, means many are unaware of just how widespread the virus is.

This results in more people ignoring advice and could result in a similar situation to Italy and Spain.

"Interesting...

Have a look at the WHO coronavirus site. It has good stats there. One stat shows the number of deaths per 1 million population. UK is at 21 and Germany at 8. Hence it looks like Germany's policy of mass testing and isolating has worked. However, it will be interesting to see these stats again in a months time.

I believe Germany are only registering deaths due to covid 19 if the deceased had no other underlying health issues

"

From what I can see it looks like this!

Also looks like Italy have done the opposition and lumped everything into the one box

By *imes_berksMan  over a year ago

Bracknell

"Interesting...

"

That would keep their number of deaths down. Interesting on the different strategies

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Interesting...

From what I can see it looks like this!

Also looks like Italy have done the opposition and lumped everything into the one box "

It initially looked like Germany were only recording covid-19 deaths where the virus was the reason for death.

The Robert Koch Institute, who are responsible for recording deaths in Germany, recently confirmed that ALL deaths where covid-19 is present are being recorded, including those who have died and are suspected of having the virus.

"I would add that the lack of testing, means many are unaware of just how widespread the virus is.

This results in more people ignoring advice and could result in a similar situation to Italy and Spain."

As the WHO themselves gave as the most vital advice early on to governments; Test, test, test...

B

"I would add that the lack of testing, means many are unaware of just how widespread the virus is.

This results in more people ignoring advice and could result in a similar situation to Italy and Spain.

As the WHO themselves gave as the most vital advice early on to governments; Test, test, test...

B"

I can tell my fella to spend spend spend, but if he doesn't have any money it's pointless

Scunthorpe

B"

Either due to staffing shortage, money shortage or lack of testing kits... it's definitely not happening

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Interesting...

"

Yes there will have to be a lot of study into all of this to see which nations did better etc,but it needs international cooperation we are one world at the end of the day

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

We should be alarmed that our government has not initiated enough testing, so it means that we are somewhat ignorant. They should have ordered greater levels of testing kit from January. We have many universities that can process several hundred tests per day.

If people know they are infectious, they will be fully isolated with greater acceptance.

Germany has definitely approached this better than the government here.

"Interesting...

"

Germany isn’t mass testing. In fact they are not testing the common people at all as it’s thought this will just install panic. The Germans simply follow rules. As soon as social distancing was announced here, everyone listened and it was in effect virtually start away. There is order and a huge sense of social responsibility which is only just starting to appear in the UK. You also have to consider that families are smaller and many live by themselves. More so than in the UK.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

I think numbers can be misleading unless everyone is testing similar people also using the same method to count the dead for instance france does not count anyone dying in a care home in their figures i learnt yesterday.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

"I think numbers can be misleading unless everyone is testing similar people also using the same method to count the dead for instance france does not count anyone dying in a care home in their figures i learnt yesterday."

The same is true here I understand..

I think the trend is due to Germany having a better quality of life in general. Cleaner air. A lot of the deaths are in crowded places with lots of air pollution to damage peoples lungs over a long period of time due to Diesel fumes and Nitrous oxide. Places like Milan, Rome, Madrid, which are often hot and sticky in the summer and where Nitrous oxide levels are very high. The ultimate polluted place and where the virus took hold is Wuhan. There has been poulation explosion there and huge leaps in car use and they still burn coal like it is going out of fashion.

Perhaps in Geordie land and Scotland the air they breath is fresher generally and their lungs are less damaged.

It's perhaps why younger people survive easier because their young lungs are not damaged by long term exposure to particulates.

"Having a look at the stats as of yesterday, one thing seems to jump out when looking at each region of the UK in this outbreak.

The number of discovered cases for every death reported so far for most areas is surprisingly consistent; a range from 23.1-28.6 for 6 out of the 10 given regions.

Outside these the Midlands at 20.1 cases per death and the North West at 18.3 cases per death stand out as being the worst hit areas in terms of actually surviving the virus once you have it.

Going the other way, Scotland's figures show that there's 37.5 cases for every death and Yorkshire and the Northeast defies all logic by only have one death for EVERY 58 cases discovered.

So why is this? Are the hospitals and amount of care given superior to the rest of the UK right now? Has there been more testing per head going on up here to isolate cases, following the trend of Germany and South Korea? Have more people simply been dying at home rather than in hospital, which today's inclusion of those figures may confirm or deny? Or is it simply that the virus was slower to reach the NE and a higher proportion of patients are yet to reach the grim milestone?

Whatever the case, there may be behavioural patterns that the rest of the UK could follow.

B"

I can't find the source now but I think in Walsall a lot of cases and deaths were linked to one church with an elderly congregation. What we done have is a proper demographic breakdown for the figures so if the virus gets into a care home for example there would tragically be a very high death rate.

» Add a new message to this topic