FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > National sport of Wales

National sport of Wales

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What sport would now be the national one in Wales?

Rugby or Football?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Rugby

By *heoriginalCJMan  over a year ago

mystic valley

Rugby hands down

By *carlett CumslutWoman  over a year ago

cardiff

It will always be rugby

By *inkyjacksCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

I love both and rugby has always been but not anymore it’s pretty even now and we should all get behind both teams Cymru !! Yma o hyd

By *lmond SkinMan  over a year ago

Wales

Its hands down rugby plus most of the best crop in football opt to play for england

By *udewhennudeMan  over a year ago

newport

National? Even. Popular? Football

By *ancardiff7Man  over a year ago

Near Cowbridge

Depends how you define it.

Participation - football

Attendances at club level - football

Attendances at international level - rugby

Media coverage - probably rugby

Match day experience - football

I like 'em both and quickly tire of the 'my sport is better than your sport' debate. Not suggesting thus thread is going in that direction though

By *ala1956Man  over a year ago

Cross Hands

If we want to be recognised World Wide then it's Football .

If it wasn't for the useless cunts that are the WRU then it would definitely be rugby

The FAW have it all bang on though so football is definitely getting there if not already

Spot on miss p

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"Depends how you define it.

Participation - football

"

Good analysis, as ever.

The other point I’d make (as someone’s who’s been to nearly a hundred Wales rugby matches) is that football is more the national sport in terms of drawing fans from all over Wales. It’s one reason I far prefer being at the football these day.

Rugby is mostly a game of the populous areas of South and West Wales. Football has always had a much bigger following in North (and Mid) Wales. I’d go to lots of mid-week friendlies when Wales were a poor side. Crowds wouldn’t be big, but a big proportion had travelled from North Wales.

Welsh rugby may well be (is?) entering a period of decline. It’ll be interesting to see if that shifts things again. Support for the club game is dire and I feel international day is more about the p*ss-up in Cardiff than the game these days.

Near Cowbridge

"Depends how you define it.

Participation - football

Good analysis, as ever.

The other point I’d make (as someone’s who’s been to nearly a hundred Wales rugby matches) is that football is more the national sport in terms of drawing fans from all over Wales. It’s one reason I far prefer being at the football these day.

Rugby is mostly a game of the populous areas of South and West Wales. Football has always had a much bigger following in North (and Mid) Wales. I’d go to lots of mid-week friendlies when Wales were a poor side. Crowds wouldn’t be big, but a big proportion had travelled from North Wales.

Welsh rugby may well be (is?) entering a period of decline. It’ll be interesting to see if that shifts things again. Support for the club game is dire and I feel international day is more about the p*ss-up in Cardiff than the game these days.

"

Good points well made.

Though they compete with each other I'd like to think that there is space for both, particularly if they can be both be successful at club and international level.

By *lantrisantblue1Man  over a year ago

Pontyclun

Having been to a lot of both football and rugby matches, thé atmosphère at the Cardiff City stadium for big Wales football matches wins hands down over the rugby.

The match day experience at the rugby is all about a day on the piss, the attendances at club rugby are pathetic, the attendance for a Cardiff City and indeed a Swansea City home game are more individually than all the regions combined.

More and more people are being drawn to the football, the cost of tickets to the rugby are ridiculous, I know quite a few people who have had enough of the match day experience at the rugby, with people constantly back and for to the bar during the game, spilling drinks over people, no atmosphere whatsoever.

So many more people in Wales play football it’s incredible yet rugby is classed as the national sport ?

Maybe the rugby have just been more successful over time, despite the actions of the WRU lol…. Although they are trying to address that, but the parochialism in grass roots won’t allow it atm

West Wales and Cardiff

"Having been to a lot of both football and rugby matches, thé atmosphère at the Cardiff City stadium for big Wales football matches wins hands down over the rugby.

The match day experience at the rugby is all about a day on the piss, the attendances at club rugby are pathetic, the attendance for a Cardiff City and indeed a Swansea City home game are more individually than all the regions combined.

More and more people are being drawn to the football, the cost of tickets to the rugby are ridiculous, I know quite a few people who have had enough of the match day experience at the rugby, with people constantly back and for to the bar during the game, spilling drinks over people, no atmosphere whatsoever.

"

I’m one of those people. I never thought I’d fall out of love with watching Wales, but found the MS a poor, depressing place to be, even for the biggest games.

One too many shout of “Give it to Shannnnnne” I think …..five years after he’d retired .

By *agicmarcMan  over a year ago

tonyrefail

deffo football rugby internationals would be half empty if it weren’t for gangs of women/men only their fit the puss up who know sweet fa about rugby

By *elightful 2Couple  over a year ago

No longer in the UK.

When we lived in Wales (Newport) most people I(mr)worked with were football people, lots supported big English teams but a fair few followed the County, Rugby was only ever mentioned when the big internationals were on and I didn't personally know anyone that went to watch the Dragons.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Football, currently. Times have changed and nothing lasts forever.

What if that ment we had two National sports?

West Wales and Cardiff

"When we lived in Wales (Newport) most people I(mr)worked with were football people, lots supported big English teams but a fair few followed the County, Rugby was only ever mentioned when the big internationals were on and I didn't personally know anyone that went to watch the Dragons.

"

It’s striking when you live in Cardiff how much more of a “football city” it feels. This goes back to Ninian Park and the bottom division times in my experience.

That’s not to say that there aren’t lots of rugby cubs in the city, of course, plus the pro side. Those small community clubs didn’t have big support, naturally, and the talk in pubs, places I worked etc always seemed more football based to me.

I imagine Swansea is similar, certainly these days.

By *mooth Operator 07Man  over a year ago

in the deep mist of the valleys

My opinion football is the national sport of Wales. There is a definition with crowd attendance at both sports from club level to county.

Football is played all over Wales and the supporters at the 2016 euros was a massive red wall of fans. At least 30,000 watched Wales in France.

"What sport would now be the national one in Wales?

Rugby or Football?"

Blasphemy!!!

By *indy1971TV/TS  over a year ago

Brynmawr

National sport of Wales is who cares as long as we beat the English

By *hris 62Man  over a year ago

HEREFORD

Yes rugby ,but they are doing will other sports, this year the Welsh did well in the fishing to ,I'm not in to football or rugby,

Neither, I'd say day-drinking!

By *ee EllCouple  over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

After today, football. Bye Pivac.

Near Cowbridge

"Neither, I'd say day-drinking! "

I'm retiring from that particular sport with immediate effect!

"Neither, I'd say day-drinking!

I'm retiring from that particular sport with immediate effect! "

Winners never quit, quitters never win! All about stamina

Near Cowbridge

"Neither, I'd say day-drinking!

I'm retiring from that particular sport with immediate effect!

Winners never quit, quitters never win! All about stamina "

I don't want to win if it feels like this

Darts it must be then

» Add a new message to this topic