FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > New 20mph speed limit 17th Sept

New 20mph speed limit 17th Sept

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *olf and Red OP   Couple 34 weeks ago

Nr Cardiff or at Chams Darlaston

What do you think of the new 20mph speed limit that is coming into force soon. I’ve seen lots of different views about it. Some businesses saying will make life difficult as everything will take longer for carers and lorry drivers. I know Usk has had that limit in effect for some time already. Seems to work well there.

Red

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ighugs69Man 34 weeks ago

Port Talbot

Can't see it making much difference unless it's enforced with speed cameras. There's been 20 zones in the local area for years and many people drive at 40 through them.

Taxi driver crashed into my car in Swansea marina 15 years ago. He put on the insurance claim that he was doing 30. It's a 20 zone and that didn't go down well with the judge in court.

Personally I think it's a good idea but I'm a bit of an old fart these days...

By *rankie KarenCouple 34 weeks ago

Blackwood

It’s grin childish Been driving lorries for 30 yrs

Look at the Ave speed check in Newport it’s had the opposite effect to pollution of the area it’s worse than the M25 now

They spending billions on the HOV No fker uses it

By *ory_xWoman 34 weeks ago

42 Wallaby Way Syndey

I think its good around schools etc but normal town driving people are still going to speed

By *heExcommMan 34 weeks ago

Llantrisant

I'm all for it. They introduced it where I live a few years ago and it's so much nicer driving around here. Most roads in towns I'm driving 20-25mph at .ost with all the cars parked up

By *ost SockMan 34 weeks ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I’m just going to wait and see how it pans out.

I’ve been practising driving at 20mph when the roads are quiet. I usually feel “blimey, this is slow” in the first 30mph zone, but then get used to it.

I’m not a slow driver - I drive to the speed limits unless held up. I’m happy enough to give it a go.

What will be the case is that some people who would be dead after being hit at 30mph will still be alive after this comes in. Seems like a good reason to at least be open to the policy.

By *edman60Man 34 weeks ago

nowhere

Just more congestion and more pollution. Also no one will want to visit the city centres. Meaning more shops pubs restaurants closing. Jus killing the economy. Drakeford has much to answer for.

By *ancardiff7Man 34 weeks ago

Near Cowbridge

20 is plenty in some areas. I'm thinking narrow streets, lined with parked cars with lots of residents or businesses.

20 is too slow in wider, less congested, well sighted roads.

A blanket 20 seems a bit ill-conceived, but I believe there are exemptions that remain at 30?

By *ce_and_fireCouple 34 weeks ago

over the rainbow

"It’s grin childish Been driving lorries for 30 yrs

Look at the Ave speed check in Newport it’s had the opposite effect to pollution of the area it’s worse than the M25 now

They spending billions on the HOV No fker uses it "

It's what they want they are currently monitoring that stretch and if its shown the 50 limit hasnt made any difference orbits worse which it will they are going to put a toll on that bit of the M4 which is thier hidden agenda

By *onesyf50Man 34 weeks ago

mid wales

It's just another way to fine motorists

By *urious-couple33Couple 34 weeks ago

Wales/ Tenerife

The Mr is tamping. Said his cars aren’t designed to drive at 20mph..

I can see where they are coming from traffic is bad enough as if it. I don’t want to be leaving any earlier in the mornings..

By *hris fullback15Man 34 weeks ago

rct

It’s going to cause much longer journeys and you will have some that stick to the law and some that won’t so you can see more arguments happening between drivers but as someone who as been to many accidents hopefully it will cut down on serious injuries as they hope it will.

By *coutDWoman 34 weeks ago

Pontypridd

"20 is plenty in some areas. I'm thinking narrow streets, lined with parked cars with lots of residents or businesses.

20 is too slow in wider, less congested, well sighted roads.

A blanket 20 seems a bit ill-conceived, but I believe there are exemptions that remain at 30? "

This.

I’ve got an automatic for the first time ever and I’m happy going 20 if needs be. Only thing is I don’t think my speed limiter starts that low. Must check it

By *hunkeeMonkeyMan 34 weeks ago

Clydach

Whats going to happen is that they will want pollution levels to rise, they can then install monitoring systems, claim pollution is too high and use that to introduce ULEZ zones or even ban vehicles from certain areas.

Its near impossible to stick to 20, the car will be screaming at you to change to second, maybe third gear then you risk stalling.

More drivers will be concentrating more on the speedo rather than the road.

West Wales and Cardiff

"

Its near impossible to stick to 20, the car will be screaming at you to change to second, maybe third gear then you risk stalling.

More drivers will be concentrating more on the speedo rather than the road.

"

I’m not necessarily a huge fan of the change, but it’s perfectly easy to drive at 20mph. I have been having to do it regularly through a few zones in my area for years. If someone can’r do it, they need to have a think about their driving skills.

Again - that’s not to say the policy is right.

Apparently, 30kph zones have cut urban road deaths by 20% in Spain. If the figures are legitimately anything like that here, it’ll be kinda hard to argue against it.

I think the Welsh government have been pretty ballsy bringing this in, knowing damn well how much criticism it would attract!

By *ord and LilliaCouple 34 weeks ago

Cardiff-ish

"

I think the Welsh government have been pretty ballsy bringing this in, knowing damn well how much criticism it would attract!

"

Ballsy is on way to put it. Arrogant, boneheaded, ignorant, blind stupidity and many other ways to put it are also options. I guess it depends on the individual's opinion of the Labour government here.

I am someone who has to religiously stick to the speed limits. In my truck, it's an automatic and will happily do 20mph in the zones that already exist across large parts of Cardiff and other places. But it feels okay too. In my car, it feels so slow. And as someone said above, my car is either too high in 2nd gear or threatening to stall in 3rd.

The local council in my home area just brought in a 20mph section on a 30mph road and it makes sense. They did this before the national roll-out. The electronic displays are lit and so they are now the limit. But as I am doing 20mph, I quickly end up with a convoy behind me because they want to do 30mph. That's up to them and I don't care, I am trained to ignore frustrated drivers behind me. But within a week on that small section of one road the attitude of most drivers on it is negative.

God help when it's pretty much everywhere.

And about the M4 through Newport being 50mph. Be grateful it's staying that for now, because I did read reports that it was going to be reduced to 20mph to match the rest of the roads adjacent to it . It was only because of the haulage industry and emergency services that the idea was sidelined.

-Lord.

West Wales and Cardiff

"

Ballsy is on way to put it. Arrogant, boneheaded, ignorant, blind stupidity and many other ways to put it are also options. I guess it depends on the individual's opinion of the Labour government here.

I am someone who has to religiously stick to the speed limits. In my truck, it's an automatic and will happily do 20mph in the zones that already exist across large parts of Cardiff and other places. But it feels okay too. In my car, it feels so slow. And as someone said above, my car is either too high in 2nd gear or threatening to stall in 3rd.

The local council in my home area just brought in a 20mph section on a 30mph road and it makes sense. They did this before the national roll-out. The electronic displays are lit and so they are now the limit. But as I am doing 20mph, I quickly end up with a convoy behind me because they want to do 30mph. That's up to them and I don't care, I am trained to ignore frustrated drivers behind me. But within a week on that small section of one road the attitude of most drivers on it is negative.

And about the M4 through Newport being 50mph. Be grateful it's staying that for now, because I did read reports that it was going to be reduced to 20mph to match the rest of the roads adjacent to it . It was only because of the haulage industry and emergency services that the idea was sidelined.

-Lord. "

As I’ve said, I don’t think it’s necessarily a good thing. It’s a “ballsy” move in that they’ve done it knowing damn well they’ll get huge criticism and quite possible lose loads of votes over it come election time. Much easier to go for an easy life on this and keep the status quo.

“Ballsy” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s right though. “Ballsy” moves can be bone-headed - they are not necessarily mutually exclusive!

I totally agree there’ll be people wanting to do 30mph. I’ve trained myself to ignore drivers getting ratty behind me these days. I’m trying to be all Zen behind the wheel. They usually do 45-50mph whatever the speed limit and I burn them off in the 60/70mph areas anyway .

By *ancardiff7Man 34 weeks ago

Near Cowbridge

I'd love to read these reports that stated the M4 was going to be reduced to 20mph to march adjacent roads. Seems very credible...

By *ord and LilliaCouple 34 weeks ago

Cardiff-ish

"I'd love to read these reports that stated the M4 was going to be reduced to 20mph to march adjacent roads. Seems very credible..."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/20mph-speed-limit-zones-introduced-26546580?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

I am just going to leave this here and use it as an example of why not everything, nor everyone, should be taken as 'gospel' on the Internet. This caused uproar when the original article was published, hence the need for this retraction.

Since so many people rely on this particular source of news, considering the nature of my earlier comment (and for those that know me, my penchant for sarcasm), it's entirely possible that I might have been up to no good .

By *ogerBottomsMan 34 weeks ago

Aberdare

I remember that story. Particularly the day it was published.

By *ornywelsh2sumCouple 34 weeks ago

Neath valley.

"its going to be a nightmare everything will take longer more congestion more accidents more noise & pollution. more speed awareness courses but the nutters will still drive through at 60 . only solution is to chuck out the Cardiff Nazis at the next Senedd election "

By *mmacdheelsTV/TS 34 weeks ago

Haverfordwest

So does this mean we are going to have every mobile police camera in action for the next few months so they can rake in as much cash as possible from the cash cow motorist?

By *inkyCeltMan 34 weeks ago

Newport

"

-Lord.

As I’ve said, I don’t think it’s necessarily a good thing. It’s a “ballsy” move in that they’ve done it knowing damn well they’ll get huge criticism and quite possible lose loads of votes over it come election time. Much easier to go for an easy life on this and keep the status quo.

“Ballsy” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s right though. “Ballsy” moves can be bone-headed - they are not necessarily mutually exclusive!

I totally agree there’ll be people wanting to do 30mph. I’ve trained myself to ignore drivers getting ratty behind me these days. I’m trying to be all Zen behind the wheel. They usually do 45-50mph whatever the speed limit and I burn them off in the 60/70mph areas anyway ."

You "burn them off"? Seriously? Watch out folks we've got us a badass here.

By *r LovecraftMan 34 weeks ago

RCT/Swansea/Cwmbran

It'll be interesting going up Cymmer and Trebanog at 20 mph. I forsee lots of people over-revving and maybe some stalling. That's sure to help the air quality and reduce accidents.

West Wales and Cardiff

"

-Lord.

I totally agree there’ll be people wanting to do 30mph. I’ve trained myself to ignore drivers getting ratty behind me these days. I’m trying to be all Zen behind the wheel. They usually do 45-50mph whatever the speed limit and I burn them off in the 60/70mph areas anyway .

You "burn them off"? Seriously? Watch out folks we've got us a badass here. "

Oh FFS, you know what I mean .

They do 45 in a 30mph and 45 in a 60mph. I do 30 in a 30mph and 60mph. They tailgate me in in the 30mph, then recede in my rear-view mirror pretty quick in the 60mph.

I’m about as “un bad-ass” as it gets - I’m one of the ones who’s pretty OK with 20mph, after all .

By *ighugs69Man 34 weeks ago

Port Talbot

"Oh FFS, you know what I mean .

They do 45 in a 30mph and 45 in a 60mph. I do 30 in a 30mph and 60mph. They tailgate me in in the 30mph, then recede in my rear-view mirror pretty quick in the 60mph.

I’m about as “un bad-ass” as it gets - I’m one of the ones who’s pretty OK with 20mph, after all ."

Yes that type of driver can be a pain, 45 is the speed they drive everywhere. You catch up to them in the national speed limit. They pull away from you in a village Then you're behind them once it goes back to a 60 limit. Would most likely call you a speeding idiot if you tried overtake them in the 60 zone.

I think there's going to be a lot of confusion with some people. The media and some politicians haven't helped calling it a blanket speed limit. A local road already has the new 20 limit signs up. So it currently goes from a 30 to 40 then a 20 limit. All well signposted. But yesterday a car in front of me was all over the place speed wise. Entered the 40 zone still doing 35, then slowed to 20 before speeding back up to 35. Entered the 20 slammed on the brakes to 15 then slowly increased to around 30. Guess 35 is their default speed

By *reenleavesCouple 33 weeks ago

North Wales

I didn't really have any strong opinion on it either way but I'm pretty bemused by the vitriol it's produced. The way done people have been screeching on, you'd assume it was 20mph everywhere and they'd be shot dead on sight at 20.5mph I think it's nice that the anti-maskers now have something new to base their personality on.

Does 10mph really make all that much difference to my day? No. Probably will do to the next kid who runs out into the road tho. It definitely felt much nicer going through some narrow towns yesterday.

One thing I've noticed since it came in is that Google maps seems to think theres heavy traffic in all the villages. Everyones going slower than 'normal'

Give it a week and everyone will have forgotten it was ever a new thing.

By *browseMan 33 weeks ago

Blackwood

Oh Dear!!!

An article published on April 1st.

Citing - Finding And Reducing Carbon Emissions (FARCE)

With quotes from

Loisa Milton - Lewis Hamilton

Nick Elouder - Nicky Lauda

Ross Burg - Niki Rosberg

Nigella Mansul - Nigel Mansell

Alun Pross - Alain Prost

It must be genuine.

By *hisismeXXXMan 33 weeks ago

Welsh Wales

"I didn't really have any strong opinion on it either way but I'm pretty bemused by the vitriol it's produced. The way done people have been screeching on, you'd assume it was 20mph everywhere and they'd be shot dead on sight at 20.5mph I think it's nice that the anti-maskers now have something new to base their personality on.

Does 10mph really make all that much difference to my day? No. Probably will do to the next kid who runs out into the road tho. It definitely felt much nicer going through some narrow towns yesterday.

One thing I've noticed since it came in is that Google maps seems to think theres heavy traffic in all the villages. Everyones going slower than 'normal'

Give it a week and everyone will have forgotten it was ever a new thing. "

It’s not Google Maps ‘thinking’ there’s heavy traffic.

It’s a live interpretation of mobile signals which shows how fast/slow mobiles are moving. If cars are going slower then traffic will build up as we’ve all witnessed.

By *ethnmelvCouple 33 weeks ago

Chudleigh

The number of cyclists who have passed us whilst we were doing 20mph is ridiculous! Can’t see the Tour of Britain working well next time

By *hromosexualsCouple 33 weeks ago

Near Abercynon

Two days and about 100 miles so far; its not been a drama... already slow roads are slower but it hasn't caused any issues so far.

By *ory_xWoman 33 weeks ago

42 Wallaby Way Syndey

Added 10 minutes to my journey yesterday and traffic for school run was horrendous today

By (user no longer on site) 33 weeks ago

Took me 3 mins less to get to work today than it did Friday.

By *ynonvalleyboyMan 33 weeks ago

merthyr

Still waiting for my pizza from last night

By *ko12Man 33 weeks ago

LLANGOLLEN

This 20mph is a waste of time came home through chirk today doing the regulation 20mph and got overtaken, so what is the point of it! Best we all sign the petition to get it reversed

By *uck13Man 33 weeks ago

cardiff

I work in Bristol, noticeable difference on slip roads in Wales today on A roads and motorway. Took 15 mins longer to get to work

By *uriouswelshy87Couple 33 weeks ago

holywell

Dsy 2 of changes n I’m not a fan!

By *o againTV/TS 33 weeks ago

swansea

I drive for a living around Swansea,neath. Got a six speed gearbox. Didn't use 4th 5th or 6th today. And mpg which was usually 35ish. Now 29mpg. So takes longer and costs more.. cheers dripford you prick...

By *gainagainMan 33 weeks ago

pontypridd

They keep quoting the a accident figures from Spain, where minor collisions tend to go unreported!

In this country if a car hits a pedestrian it is assumed that the car driver is at fault. What we will see is more minor collisions as pedestrians step out in the way of the idiots who will still be ignoring the speed limit.

This is an undemocratic decision made by a government that knows they will not lose power whatever they do.

Time to prove them wrong maybe?

By *ancardiff7Man 32 weeks ago

Near Cowbridge

20mph around educational and health facilities is a good thing, right?

By *iladybirdCouple 32 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire

Almost 2 weeks in and as predicted, crawling along roads out of rush hour mostly devoid of anyone to run over here in Pembs, with engine revving in 2nd and often nearly stalling in 3rd, so using more fuel and causing more emissions, and longer on the brakes down inclines so releasing more unhealthy particles in to the environment.

Happy to see more targeted 20's where and when they are needed, but don't agree with default/blanket with a few holes in it 20.

People still signing the petition are likely to be those who were sat on the fence or even previously in favour nowthey see it in action.

By *ornybarebackcplCouple 32 weeks ago

Haverfordwest

My village still has 30mph sign up but next village is 20mph. Wtf

» Add a new message to this topic