FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > Ribena!

Ribena!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *thwalescpl OP   Couple  over a year ago

brecon

Tescos are taking Ribena off their shelves as from Sept to help combat childhood obesity.

So, "mummies likkle dahlinks" can still buy all the Tescos own-brand crap thats full of sugar, salt and fat... but not Ribena ffs!

Thank fook we don't shop at Tescos!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

But still sell chocolate, crisps, pop etc?? Righto

I am obviiusly missing the logic behind what they are trying to acheieve

By *r reliable cardiffMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Tesco obviously don't make as much money selling ribena as they do selling their own brand crap... Barstewards!!!

"Tescos are taking Ribena off their shelves as from Sept to help combat childhood obesity.

So, "mummies likkle dahlinks" can still buy all the Tescos own-brand crap thats full of sugar, salt and fat... but not Ribena ffs!

Thank fook we don't shop at Tescos!

"

Wonder if they will remove the greggs out of the one by me lol

Not blaming all parents but surely they should take responsibility for their kids being obese. Too many parents I know would rather they play inside on computers or watch tv rather than play outside or participate in regular exercise

#rant over#

"Not blaming all parents but surely they should take responsibility for their kids being obese. Too many parents I know would rather they play inside on computers or watch tv rather than play outside or participate in regular exercise

#rant over#"

Wasn't there once a case where the women had a child taken away from them as they where obese??

She was charged as well

Erm who makes tesco own brand lol

Oh yes suntory who now own ribena and lucozade

Must have been an interesting meeting saying we're not going to stock yours but you can still carry on producing for us

By *all Mid WalesMan  over a year ago

Mid Wales

this stupid to blame ribena for obesity, ribena has been around since before 1930's. there wasnt really a boom with obesity until 1990's when weirdly game console started become huge.

when i was a kid we used to play out, head into the hills around the town. Last summer i took my eldest for a wlk to show him all the places i used to hang out etc and these places were totally overgrown, no one had been there for many years.

sweets and sweet drinks are not the cause of obestity, it is the lack of exercise

"this stupid to blame ribena for obesity, ribena has been around since before 1930's. there wasnt really a boom with obesity until 1990's when weirdly game console started become huge.

when i was a kid we used to play out, head into the hills around the town. Last summer i took my eldest for a wlk to show him all the places i used to hang out etc and these places were totally overgrown, no one had been there for many years.

sweets and sweet drinks are not the cause of obestity, it is the lack of exercise "

GRRRRRRRRRRRR grrrrrrrrrr and any other way of blowwing off some frustration.

just say no. no is an easy word to say to kids short and simple. no

and let them out in the open air !

yes possibly they might come to harm but not as much harm as being 10 stone at 10 years old ffs! and 15 stone at 15.

over protective parents are causing a timebomb its up to parents to control how kids eat and excersise.take control people .

Could answer why it is all being sold at half price now then. Best stock up on the sugar free one

By *ax-BangingMan  over a year ago

town

Nanny state!!

By *oungGun6Man  over a year ago

Pontypridd

"this stupid to blame ribena for obesity, ribena has been around since before 1930's. there wasnt really a boom with obesity until 1990's when weirdly game console started become huge.

sweets and sweet drinks are not the cause of obestity, it is the lack of exercise "

I fancy some Um Bongo now loved it as a kid

"Could answer why it is all being sold at half price now then. Best stock up on the sugar free one "

Thats even worse with the crap they put in to sweeten it

Didn't even realise ribena was fattening.... Here's me trying to keep my kids away from . Coke must be good for them then, who'd have thought.

"Didn't even realise ribena was fattening.... Here's me trying to keep my kids away from . Coke must be good for them then, who'd have thought. "

Just don't let them have too many lines before school....winds them up!

"Erm who makes tesco own brand lol

Oh yes suntory who now own ribena and lucozade

Must have been an interesting meeting saying we're not going to stock yours but you can still carry on producing for us "

Suntory also own Orangina and V guava energy boost.

Ribina also do a no added sugar version.

So if tesco wants to reduce obesity take Coca Cola off the shelves isn't it about 9 teaspoons of sugar in each can?

Sounds like the usual profit/supplier price negotiations have broke down and tesco have spat their dummy out

Ribena has a massive fruit content so there is higher raw product costs compared to Coca Cola, s main ingredients is sugar and caramel (burnt sugar), which are really cheap ingredients in the mass producing industry, fruit pulp costs more.

Coca colas profit margin is about 90% based on the fact that it's produced as a syrup and the rest is carbonated water which is sold 'ready to drink' . Ribina is a cordial and sold as a cordial most of the time so there profit margins are closer to 50% and tesco doesn't like not having buying power to drive the prices down further.

I quess suntory said 'no' and tesco said 'screw you'. It's a boycott pure and simple

"Didn't even realise ribena was fattening.... Here's me trying to keep my kids away from . Coke must be good for them then, who'd have thought.

Just don't let them have too many lines before school....winds them up!"

Sorry but actually LOL'd!

I've looked into the article and capri sun is also being axed. The exact wording

we will only sell no-added-sugar drinks in the kids' juice category.

That's why Coca Cola is exempt it's an adult drink...... Apparently.

I've seen 13 years old kids overdose on cans of 'monster energy'

By *aydee65Man  over a year ago

Near Merthyr

Computer games are the worst cause of childhood obesity... many kids just don't leave their bedrooms nowadays and the lack of excercise is just as bad (if not worse) than poor diets. Put the two together and its little wonder that this generation is the first that has an expected mortality rate that is lower than its parents'. Its a sad and shocking thought that many parents are going to be burying theirown children through poor lifestyle choices.

"Didn't even realise ribena was fattening.... Here's me trying to keep my kids away from . Coke must be good for them then, who'd have thought.

Just don't let them have too many lines before school....winds them up!

Sorry but actually LOL'd! "

I will be doing lines with them before they go back. Seven weeks!

By *thwalescpl OP   Couple  over a year ago

brecon

Apparently its the lunchbox size cartons they are banning, not the bottles of cordial, so, panic over lol!

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

Suntory who make Ribena don't make Tesco own brand stuff. It's a company down in Wales.

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

It's got nothing to do with obesity. Tesco have upped the cosy of shelf space and Suntory won't pay for it. Inside info from Suntory

» Add a new message to this topic