FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > Annoyed

Annoyed

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

With myself for being a victim of card fraud

I woke this morning to find that I had 220.00 missing from my account.

I rang my bank straight away to find that jewellery had been purchased.

I never bought jewellery yesterday.

I've followed the banks advice regarding canceling my card and going into the bank to request a new one.

I now have to wait for the transaction to appear on my statement for me to then ring again and declare this as fraud.

So my question is...

Have you ever been a victim to card fraud?

What advice can you give someone?

I thought I had all the protection I needed to use my phone against all this but obviously not.

What are the best protection you could use on your phone???

Slightly pissed off to say the least but lucky to know I will get my money back

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"With myself for being a victim of card fraud

I've followed the banks advice regarding canceling my card and going into the bank to request a new one.

I now have to wait for the transaction to appear on my statement for me to then ring again and declare this as fraud.

So my question is...

I thought I had all the protection I needed to use my phone against all this but obviously not.

Slightly pissed off to say the least but lucky to know I will get my money back "

Sorry to read about this

Any ideas how it happened?

I was a victim about 10 years ago someone copied my card in a shop and then used the card details for purchases later that day.

So my question is...

Sorry to read about this

I was a victim about 10 years ago someone copied my card in a shop and then used the card details for purchases later that day."

It was a online company they purchased the jewellery from.

When I said to my bank it wasn't me they couldn't cancel the transaction which I find really bizarre

I got fleeced like this for about £350 last Xmas, had been using sites like Amazon and eBay, thought I'd be safe from fraud/scam.

I did get the money back but learnt my lesson. I only ever use prepaid credit cards for online shopping now, I get them from tesco and you can put on as much or little as you need for a certain item, fully insured/protected too.

Hope you get your money and piece of mind back. Chin up, big cwtch xx

"I got fleeced like this for about £350 last Xmas, had been using sites like Amazon and eBay, thought I'd be safe from fraud/scam.

I did get the money back but learnt my lesson. I only ever use prepaid credit cards for online shopping now, I get them from tesco and you can put on as much or little as you need for a certain item, fully insured/protected too.

Hope you get your money and piece of mind back. Chin up, big cwtch xx"

Thanks you I definitely won't be doing on line shopping anymore with my card.

I didn't know you could do it the way you do.

It's just all the inconvenience that comes with it all now

I never use my mobile to perform any aspect of banking. If your Bluetooth is on then your phone can be accessed by others, and if you use your phone to pay for low value items that can also be accessed by others.

Robbing ba****ds should have their hands chopped off

"I never use my mobile to perform any aspect of banking. If your Bluetooth is on then your phone can be accessed by others, and if you use your phone to pay for low value items that can also be accessed by others.

Robbing ba****ds should have their hands chopped off"

I never use Bluetooth

And yes they should lol

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I sympathise, but don't be hard on yourself, as I'm sure you are way more careful than many.

I was mad with myself because I gave away a few personal details online last week before I realised the site was fake.

I took a number of steps in the aftermath of that to "up" my security in the light of that, including putted added protection/checks in if I ever want to apply for credit (I know it's different to your situation).

The way I see it - many, many people are going to experience this kind of thing. In a way, it's a good thing (so long as you don't come to financial harm in any way), as it gives us a wake up call that we probably need every now and then. I've certainly tightened up a lot since the above happened.

So my question is...

Sorry to read about this

I was a victim about 10 years ago someone copied my card in a shop and then used the card details for purchases later that day.

It was a online company they purchased the jewellery from.

When I said to my bank it wasn't me they couldn't cancel the transaction which I find really bizarre "

My bank spotted the transactions and asked me so I did get the money back eventually.

Didn't the jewellery company have to deliver the goods? That would be an address for the police or you could prove non delivery to you as the account holder

I've had this done several times.

I don't think you can stop it from happening really, so many scammers who use so many different methods of obtaining card details etc.

Somebody did say about pre-paid credit cards, they're a great option! But sad one would have to do such a thing.

In the work I do I deal with members of the public everyday and you would be suprised how many people give me their card details over the phone without even making sure I am really calling from the company x

I buy almost everything online & have done so for many years, this has happened to me several times but the card companies have always given me the money do I've never been out of pocket. It doesn't happen often enough for me to change my shopping habits, it's just the inconvenience at the time. I've also had my card cloned when using it places so it's not just online that's risky x

By *elightful 2Couple  over a year ago

No longer in the UK.

About 2 years ago I checked my statement and realised I had an item on there bought online for about £22. I knew I had not bought it, contacted the bank and they refunded the amount straight away. It was such a small amount that a lot of people would not notice but I check every amount that goes out. The people who ran that particular scam must have made a mint from those who do not check! Bloody annoying!!!

By *uttytrukerMan  over a year ago

resolven / swindon

never use on-line banking in any shape or form and only use bank card in bank

Couple of steps to take -

* change all account passwords

* DON'T use the same password for every account (alot of newbs do this!)

* install Mobile Security on your phone.. They all come nowadays with built in phishing protection, as well as anti virus, etc.. So many people don't do this.. It amazes me...

* always turn Bluetooth off and data usage when not in use.. By doing this with the data usage, you'll cut your bills down, too, even if you're on an agreed monthly contract.. Mine was £30 a month, disabled data usage when I didn't use the net, and restricted background app data and got my bill down to £23 a month!

Security first!

Avast mobile security is very good, as well as eset nod32 mobile security, both highly recommended by myself (says ex IT Security Admin)

Hope this helps! x

Not as much as you but €49 for a battery of some kind 2nd April purchased from ebay using my PayPal

by some Mohammed

I've got the money bk but thought the idea of pay pal was security??

My son was done a month ago with a card purchase of £380 he's had the money bk also but the inconvenience of having to wait for the refund and new cards

PayPal CAN be hacked.. Trust!

Did an IT security pen test once on the network I was protecting.. Found I could have accessed over 14 employees PayPal, eBay, email, social networking accounts.. Needless to say, they received a very prompt dm from me to create better passwords..

Thanks for all the advice.

I've now installed new security and still waiting in the transaction to appear on my statement.

And your right it's more the inconvenience it causes

I was lucky the bank pick up the unusual activity on my last time a froze the transactions.

The details had been stolen from my phone when I traded it in a phones 4 you.

Time before that was an odd one. I was waiting to relieve new cards after I reported lost. So cards frozen and while waiting for new ones they got used?

Just becatmreful on the sites you use them on.

If the service your bank offers isn't good enough change. First direct customer service is first rate.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

After not using my card for a few days I tried to use it at the supermarket ... but it was declined twice ... I was very embarrassed as I knew id just been paid ....when I got home I had an answer phone message from the fraud squad .. the bank had frozen my account due to suspicious activity .. it had been used in canada

I still dont know how they did it

I never use an atm

Will not buy anything from the Internet ... and I will not internet bank....

I did suspect a petrol station .. so now I go to the same local well known one. ...

» Add a new message to this topic