FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Wales > American gun laws

American gun laws

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Should they be changed?? I know there is massive division on the topic with the United States itself but with mass shootings taking place on a fairly regular basis and following the murder of 50 (or whatever the official final figure transpires to be) innocent people in Orlando again today is it time something really is done to make a difference?? American gun law isn't my strong point but surely the wrong people are time and time again getting hold of fire arms way to easilly with devastating results

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The people doing this shit don't have firearms licences. They will do these terrible things no matter what

Should but won't cos of power NRA has in congress

Also it's their right to be armed says in constitution

"The people doing this shit don't have firearms licences. They will do these terrible things no matter what "

I didn't realise they had to have a firearms license in the states to own a gun??

Even if they repealed the gun laws I.e. an amnesty and law completely reversed. It would take half a century to recover all of the guns weapons that are out there. Nearly two hundered thousand sold this year.

Yes you need a licence to carry a gun in the States. Was going to take my son to Florida. Not going now. This world is a scary place. America will never get rid of guns, there is to much money in it unfortunately xx

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

It varies from state to state - some states you can buy a gun just using a drivers licence or other ID, others run background checks.

Even if the rules are tightened up there are so many guns in circulation in the US it would take many decades to see any fall in the numbers of weapons available.

So sorry for the victims - will be visiting Orlando later this year so somewhat sobering.

By *lan dynamoCouple  over a year ago

neath

I think you can have a hand gun in America once a proof of address has been checked. over here it is a lot harder to get a firearm has you must apply to the police for a licence

"Yes you need a licence to carry a gun in the States. Was going to take my son to Florida. Not going now. This world is a scary place. America will never get rid of guns, there is to much money in it unfortunately xx"

You need a licence to carry a concealed weapon. You can keep one at home without any paperwork in just about every state. You can even 'open carry' in a lot of places. I owned many guns when I lived there. There are a few extra hoops for a foreigner to jump through but it's still easy to buy legally.

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

No one does this with legally held firearms.

This guy claimed to be part of Isis before he did it.

French gun laws saved no body.

I would rather everybody be armed and capable of defending themselves if they choose, otherwise the only people armed are the criminals.

By *ighugs69Man  over a year ago

Port Talbot

"The people doing this shit don't have firearms licences. They will do these terrible things no matter what

I didn't realise they had to have a firearms license in the states to own a gun?? "

Apparently the latest shooter had a licence to legally own an assault rifle. Which is basically a military grade weapon, it's designed to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. There is no reason for a member of the public to have one.

The laws are different for each state. But you can get some types of firearms just by showing ID. In some states you can 'open carry' which means you can walk around the supermarket with a gun in a holster on your waist.

In some respects it's a rather frightening country. Obama has been trying to reduce the gun ownership and change the laws since he came to power. But the Americans do love their big guns!

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago where a toddler shot his mum dead while she was driving

But then look at this country a few years ago a farmer shot burglars on his land and he got done and had to pay compensation to one of them it wasn't the first time they had burgled him either he was protecting his livelihood

In America you can defend yourself and your property

It has it's ups and downs

"No one does this with legally held firearms.

I would rather everybody be armed and capable of defending themselves if they choose, otherwise the only people armed are the criminals. "

No one does this with legally held firearms ?

What planet are you on ?

Nearly all mass shootings, and many individual gun crimes are committed by people with legally held weapons

"Yes you need a licence to carry a gun in the States. Was going to take my son to Florida. Not going now. This world is a scary place. America will never get rid of guns, there is to much money in it unfortunately xx

You need a licence to carry a concealed weapon. You can keep one at home without any paperwork in just about every state. You can even 'open carry' in a lot of places. I owned many guns when I lived there. There are a few extra hoops for a foreigner to jump through but it's still easy to buy legally. "

I thought at home without a licence they had to be in a locked cabinet ?

By *ittlemisssassypantsCouple  over a year ago

South East Wales

[Removed by poster at 12/06/16 22:04:46]

South East Wales

I saw this today and felt it was pretty good...

"How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like a woman who wants to get an abortion- Mandatory 48hr waiting period, parental permission, a note from his doctor proving he understands what he's about to do, a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence, and an ultrasound wand up the ass (just because). Let's close down all but one gun shop in every state and make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, and stay over night in a strange town to get a gun. Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.

It makes more sense to do this with young men and guns than with women and health care, right?

I mean, no woman getting an abortion has killed a room full of people in seconds right?" - Unknown

For me, I don't see the point in guns. US gun crime is catastrophic, and don't even get me started on their police carrying and using firearms!!

Sassy

"I saw this today and felt it was pretty good...

"How about we treat every young man who wants to buy a gun like a woman who wants to get an abortion- Mandatory 48hr waiting period, parental permission, a note from his doctor proving he understands what he's about to do, a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence, and an ultrasound wand up the ass (just because). Let's close down all but one gun shop in every state and make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, and stay over night in a strange town to get a gun. Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.

It makes more sense to do this with young men and guns than with women and health care, right?

I mean, no woman getting an abortion has killed a room full of people in seconds right?" - Unknown

For me, I don't see the point in guns. US gun crime is catastrophic, and don't even get me started on their police carrying and using firearms!!

Sassy"

So very apt

I get what your saying with or without being able to buy guns in a shop there will always be tons sold on the black markets

And the gun crimes seems so much worse but you can't compare us to America look at the population difference to start with

Guns don't kill people

People kill people

"No one does this with legally held firearms.

I would rather everybody be armed and capable of defending themselves if they choose, otherwise the only people armed are the criminals.

No one does this with legally held firearms ?

What planet are you on ?

Nearly all mass shootings, and many individual gun crimes are committed by people with legally held weapons "

As somebody has already mentioned it's written into their constitution that they have the right to bear arms.

That this was written in the 1700s and was valid then, most certainly not now.

Britain has some of the most onerous gun laws in the world and after Dunblane and Hungerford all automatic weapons were banned.....If automatic weapons are used in crimes in this country then they have been smuggled in from Europe.

Thoughts are with all the families affected.

South East Wales

"I get what your saying with or without being able to buy guns in a shop there will always be tons sold on the black markets

And the gun crimes seems so much worse but you can't compare us to America look at the population difference to start with

Guns don't kill people

People kill people "

This is also true, however a round of bullets is going to do so much more damage than an alternative weapon, such as a knife, a gun man can just point and shoot and many more loves are lost than a guy wielding a knife.

Yeah I know but the sad truth is is happens all over the world

Just it seems we don't always hear about it

Certain parts of the world just before the tourist season starts they go round and shoot all the homeless children on the streets . they class them as street rats as they have to steal to feed themselves

It's sick but nothing is done about it

That isn't terrorist it's the government doing it

One of Barak Obamas greatest regrets of his presidency is that he hasnt managed to change and tighten gun laws in America.

I doubt this would stop the atrocities that have happened but he has tried to make things safer.

Betty I went to Florida and New York a few years ago and wouldnt hesitate in going back.

Why miss out on an amazing holiday ???

People have no qualms about going to Spain and that is always on the highest terrorist alert as is Britain.

By *ce_and_fireCouple  over a year ago

over the rainbow

Correct bubbs and well put

"The people doing this shit don't have firearms licences. They will do these terrible things no matter what

I didn't realise they had to have a firearms license in the states to own a gun?? "

Each state has its own legislation pertaining to firearms. But Federal laws mandate the control of certain types of weapons. Some states have more rigid application processes for buying a firearm than others.

But as a previous comment says the NRA ( National Rifle Association ) have a lot of clout in congress and the senate.

Guns dont kill people. People kill people. The gun is just the means to do it. I have been around guns my whole adult life.

Unfortunately there are so many illegal weapons on the streets in the US that people can obtain one without proper checks being done.

". . . Also it's their right to be armed says in constitution "

That is a contentious point which the "Gun Lobby" has done extremely well to cover up. You see they quote an Amendment to the US Constitution which basically states that "citizens have the right to bear arms" but you don't hear these days that amendment quoted in the context of the history in which it was written.

In the days before the Revolution in order to defuse malcontent's the British Governor, aiding by British troops, attempted to confiscate all arms that could be used against them. It was one of the catalysts for the Revolution. The State of Massachusetts was one of the first to rebel and one of the first to draw up a Constitution, the later US Federal version leaned heavily on this document. Omitted but then added was the amendment giving citizens the "right to bear and use arms" but it was added with the intention of permitting the "Minute Men" militias the ability to continue . . it wasn't meant to allow anyone to own a gun without due cause!

Nor was it as is popular belief that the "Colt 45 Peacemaker" that created a gun loving nation, no the Colt was an extremely expensive revolver in limited numbers, that came out of the Civil War and the literally hundreds of thousands of "Springfield Model 1861 58 calibre rifled muskets" that were left over and, as veterans went back home with them, that credible rifle went West into new territories.

Just a bit of history that today is swept under the carpet by the gun lobby in the US, at the heart of this matter is the feeling of independence a US citizen has relating to their Government . . truly we have never had such a thing in the UK.

Wikipedia reports the text as 'A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'

To me the US now has a well regulated militia I it's police and standing army. Therefore the necessity for the people to bear arms has passed and could now be 'infringed.'

"Wikipedia reports the text as 'A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'

To me the US now has a well regulated militia I it's police and standing army. Therefore the necessity for the people to bear arms has passed and could now be 'infringed.' "

This so true, so very true. Take a look at the US "National Guard" and you see the present evolution of "the Minute Men" and a well balanced force able to operate on land, sea and air that makes our TA look like Boy Scouts.

. . but gun ownership, legal or otherwise, is now so endemic in the US that it will take many, many massacres happening all to regular and a complete sea change of attitude over generations to cure them of their addiction.

How sad that the most powerful nation on our planet feels so scared and paranoid.

Why dont we mind our on buinness its there laws

By *ce_and_fireCouple  over a year ago

over the rainbow

The Springfield musket rifle a decisive weapon that and it was mass produced was i big factor in the North winning the american civil war.

"Wikipedia reports the text as 'A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'

To me the US now has a well regulated militia I it's police and standing army. Therefore the necessity for the people to bear arms has passed and could now be 'infringed.'

This so true, so very true. Take a look at the US "National Guard" and you see the present evolution of "the Minute Men" and a well balanced force able to operate on land, sea and air that makes our TA look like Boy Scouts.

. . but gun ownership, legal or otherwise, is now so endemic in the US that it will take many, many massacres happening all to regular and a complete sea change of attitude over generations to cure them of their addiction.

How sad that the most powerful nation on our planet feels so scared and paranoid. "

I would pit any TA unit in a competition with any National Guard Unit anyday of the week. I have worked with US military personnel. They are nowhere near as highly trained as our boys and girls. Either TA or Regular. I served 14 years as a Regular Soldier and 13 as a TA soldier. And have spent the last 12 years working in Iraq. The yanks may have all the kit, but they are far from being better than any of us

"The Springfield musket rifle a decisive weapon that and it was mass produced was i big factor in the North winning the american civil war."

Accurate, reliable and with it's "Minnie Ball" still lethal at half a mile it was almost ahead of it's time . .

but . . whatever your individual views on "guns" that military musket did make one very positive mark on man-kind?

It was the FIRST mass produced item to use an entire manufacturing process based on the production line . . and where would mankind be today without that manufacturing technique?

Ying and Yang?

"Why dont we mind our on buinness its there laws"

Sorry everyone please disregard the whole thread

That has put us firmly in our place

Anyone want to discuss sheep and faggots??

"Why dont we mind our on buinness its there laws

Anyone want to discuss sheep and faggots?? "

How do you eat yours ?

"Why dont we mind our on buinness its there laws

Anyone want to discuss sheep and faggots??

How do you eat yours ? "

Ahh . . but surely there is no perverted experience better than eating your faggot drooling in the thick gravy as you're shagging your sheep?

Ha ha

Well now that is going on the tick list lol

Sounds exciting

Obama has been trying to get guns under control since he came into office, but Congress (which is mostly Republican) has been blocking him. The American Constitution states that an American Citizen has the right to own a gun and the goverment cannot stop that. However, Obama wanted it so that Assault weapons (these are the weapons used in the majority of shootings). They cannot have all guns banned, but if they restrict it down to just hand guns, with a single shot rifle on special liscense, then they can minimise the casualties at shootings.

"Yes you need a licence to carry a gun in the States. Was going to take my son to Florida. Not going now. This world is a scary place. America will never get rid of guns, there is to much money in it unfortunately xx"

Only in certain states! Each state tracks gun control seperatly. Some have to have a liscence, some don't. Some, like New York, don't allow any guns to be bought within New York City at all

". . . They cannot have all guns banned, but if they restrict it down to just hand guns, with a single shot rifle on special liscense, then they can minimise the casualties at shootings. "

If this happened expect to see the "Gun Lobby" seek exemption for "historic weapons" and, by doing so, undermine the limits.

Years ago, attending a "historical event" in Europe we stopped over at a USAAF base and held our own impromptu "Schützenfest" at their weapons range. These are the popular "historic weapons" that members lent us to use . . and, I'll be very honest to say, we felt privileged :

Mg 42, Mp 40, Sturmgewehr 44, Bren-Gun, BAR, Thompson (stick and drum magazine), M3 ("grease gun"), Sterling, M1 Garrand & M1 carbine, K98, SMLE, Colt 45 (Browning 1911), Luger's and P38's, Winchester Repeating Rifle, Sharps carbine, Springfield Model 1861, Army and Navy Colt revolvers . . and the Colt "Peacemaker".

There were many others that couldn't be named and have been forgotten. Now . . did they have or need a license? NO! Did they keep these weapons in a secure place? NO! Most seemed stashed in wardrobes! As many of those who lent us their weapons didn't live on the USAAF base they were kept in "German homes" too!

Historic weapon clubs and competitions are very popular in the USA . . so ALL the above and more simply wouldn't get ANY gun control at all . . .

Just stop with one : the German Mg 42, if you can get spare barrels made for it, then simply blast away at TWELVE HUNDRED rounds per minute.

The genie is out of the bottle . . there may never be a way to put the cork back in.

"Should they be changed?? "

Maybe. I think they should.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that ammendment made to allow common citizens to legally are themselves and form a militia to boost the ranks of the army, I don't think it was meant to be in place for as long as it has been

By *ust-a-GuyMan  over a year ago

"Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that ammendment made to allow common citizens to legally are themselves and form a militia to boost the ranks of the army, I don't think it was meant to be in place for as long as it has been"

No, it was to allow the citizens to defend themselves against the government. They had just defeated the British army and wrote the 2nd amendment to stop themselves becoming subjects again.

The constitution tells the people what their rights are, abd also tells the government what it can't do.

Eg 4th amendment deals with searches without warrants etc.

» Add a new message to this topic