FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tips at Pizza Express

Tips at Pizza Express

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that the company are diverting tips away from the waitresses to boost kitchen staff wages instead of paying kitchen staff more. Some waitresses say they are losing up to 2k a year. And since the tips are often given via credit card transactions they are losing out.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I think that the practice is more that tips are split from floor staff with kitchen staff. I’ve ran restaurants where that was common.

It’s a way of sharing tips with everyone who helped to earn the tip, floor staff don’t earn the tips in isolation so it’s not that they loose money, they’re just sharing it with those that helped to earn the cash

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

If you enjoy your meal it’s tempting to think oh boy what good service. It’s the friggin’ kitchen staff that prepared it. They shout and scream at the waiting staff to get that food to you in the best possible condition/time. Lazy fuckers many waiters who too often pocket the tips.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think tips should be shared - it's service and the smile /care ... But its also the quality /speed of the food +presentation etc. I used to work in a restaurant in my teens/20s and we shared tips... The waitresses took a slightly higher cut i think and we kept that daily... The kitchen staff saved theirs over the year I think.. It was seasonal work, so made a difference at the end of the season

I think i used to take around £30 daily in tips 30-35 years ago.. It was (is still) a really busy /popular place

Now, paying people decent wages.. That is a completely different issue and should be addressed to your local MP

Often big chain companies don't give the staff the PDQ tips and use them to 'top up wages'

It's worth asking the server who gets the money.

Chelmsford

I only ever give tips in cash even if I pay for my meal by card. And these buggers asking if I want to give money to charity when I am buying my meal. No chance

By *esmond and Molly JonesCouple  over a year ago

Watford

Employers should keep their hands off tips which should be over and above wages, not integrated into them. Tips are for rewarding good service, not an employer subsidy.

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Often big chain companies don't give the staff the PDQ tips and use them to 'top up wages'

"

Very true, it’s criminal as the company is paying less than minimum wage

Do they get to keep the money if the tip is cash? Or are they forced to hand it over?

I hate tips. People should be paid a decent wage, not made to grovel for top ups.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

"Do they get to keep the money if the tip is cash? Or are they forced to hand it over?

I hate tips. People should be paid a decent wage, not made to grovel for top ups. "

Where I work card tips go into my wages, and it is titled "tips"

We each have our own individual PDQ login number so they know who it goes to. It shows up on our session receipt.

Cash tips, each server puts a pound in the kitchen pot if they work the morning and 2 quid in the pot if they work the evening. Kitchen tips get shared twice yearly. That's how our kitchen team chose to do it so that they get a boost around Xmas.

Each site works differently based on how they decided it was fair. Works well for us.

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

I love their honey mustard dressing. Lol.

"Do they get to keep the money if the tip is cash? Or are they forced to hand it over?

I hate tips. People should be paid a decent wage, not made to grovel for top ups.

We each have our own individual PDQ login number so they know who it goes to. It shows up on our session receipt.

Cash tips, each server puts a pound in the kitchen pot if they work the morning and 2 quid in the pot if they work the evening. Kitchen tips get shared twice yearly. That's how our kitchen team chose to do it so that they get a boost around Xmas.

Each site works differently based on how they decided it was fair. Works well for us."

Good to know you get the tips.

By *octor DeleriumMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"

"

I always ask who gets the tips and I'm disinclined to add a tip if the restaurant has included a service charge (typically 12.5%).

By *octor DeleriumMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"

Good to know you get the tips. "

I think it was Pizza Express that was identified as taking 8% of the value of tips left on credit card slops a number of years ago.

Iv worked as a waitress before and we kept our own tips.

The kitchen staff didn't get any but the reason management decided to do that was because the kitchen staff got paid more and the floor staff were expected to see tips as a part of there wage.

Chelmsford

If the restaurant charges a service charge I never tip..

But bet the buggers don't hand it all over to the waitresses

Had a lovely delivery driver and I'd love to give her my tip... But she did get the standard tip anyway

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's like going back to the bad old days. Tip the server in cash and add what you fancy tor the tronc system to share out

Chelmsford

I just tip for good service in cash and pay for my meal on a card. I want to tip my waitress.. nobody else.. just my waitress. ..

» Add a new message to this topic