FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Supermarket shelves empty

Supermarket shelves empty

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’ve just done the big shop and the shelves were mostly empty I couldn’t stock up on the essentials like rice pudding and rice pudding with added jam. I said to the woman at the checkout can I still call this the big shop with only 20% of what I came in for, she said she needed to check the rule book, then her supervisor came over and I asked her, they conferred and both agreed probably not. What’s your view on this, is this the end of days or is this a temporary problem that will be resolved, or do we need to get tins in and start prepping ?!

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The supply chain is currently stretched but no need to panic buy. Although I suspect many will.

Haven't seen ay empty shelves when I've been shopping.

Maybe it's a combination of what time of day you've been, when the shelves were last stocked and how many other shoppers have beaten you too it.

Is anyone panic buying anything at the moment?

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It seems to depend on the shop.

Asda was fully stocked last night but when I popped to my local shop first thing for milk, there were lots of empty spaces.

Scunthorpe

No panic buying here.

By *gent CoulsonMan  over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

I was told the issue is down to lack of hgv drivers, either having to isolate or off ill, my co-op looked like the early days of the first lockdown yesterday

Good job I grew my own this year. One tomato plant should keep me going till the boats come in.

"It seems to depend on the shop.

Asda was fully stocked last night but when I popped to my local shop first thing for milk, there were lots of empty spaces."

How strange, this was never mentioned six years ago.................

Short on truck drivers for milk deliveries....

Just seen a news item about it

Scunthorpe

Asda was fully stocked last night but when I popped to my local shop first thing for milk, there were lots of empty spaces.

How strange, this was never mentioned six years ago................. "

?

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I believe its regional and with the changes for key workers when they get an app alert this should get better very soon.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

You should try living in Northern Ireland where most of the main supermarket chains have delisted 100s of lines that are no longer available here and every second online supplier is refusing to deliver to NI.

By *.R.MMan  over a year ago

Nfk/Sfk/Cam

Shortage of hgv drivers since Brexit. Long hours and not the best pay a problem that has been bubbling up for quite some time.

By *orkshireDrifterMan  over a year ago

Bridlington.

Panic buy!

Buy whatever is on the shelves, soon there will be nothing left.......

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Simple answer Brexit. I have friends all Iver Europe through my other hobby of dancing. They all say they have no problems whatsoever and shelves are full.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Tin hat and batten down the hatches time

Honestly I haven’t noticed, if something isn’t on the shelf I just change or adapt that week’s meal plan.

"No panic buying here."

It isn't and panic buying this time it is supply chain issues and delivery driver issues which is only affecting parts of the country.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Asda was fully stocked last night but when I popped to my local shop first thing for milk, there were lots of empty spaces."

They are reducing lines, all the big ones are, and shelf life is so bad at the moment often 1-3 days max on fresh food. It’s not going to get better only worse

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

I haven't been food shopping in months. I'm more of a grab a loaf and have toast for dinner kinda gal again now I'm working my tits off once more. Or like today, I start at 4 so I'll have a bowl of pasta at work before my shift and that's my daily food intake

"No panic buying here.

It isn't and panic buying this time it is supply chain issues and delivery driver issues which is only affecting parts of the country."

London being one of them.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Just a shortage of staff due to the pesky Ping, it will sort itself soon enough probably on the 16th August when pinging rules change

By *ngelesAndDemonsCouple  over a year ago

Derry, Ireland

"You should try living in Northern Ireland where most of the main supermarket chains have delisted 100s of lines that are no longer available here and every second online supplier is refusing to deliver to NI.

"

Not like that here in Derry and Strabane? Always get what we want when shopping.

Friend works in Pharmaceutical Supply chain and says while they are fine mostly they are hearing that produce and stores will suffer for a time yet.

As people have said here it's the distribution that is the affected node rather than amount available.

Think it's Brexit that made the link fragile (HGV driver availability) and the pingdemic has just pushed it over the edge.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Oh and look at all the Asda and tesco stuff on Amazon at twice the price and try to buy it direct online, it’s never in stock . Stuff is running out - brexit and Covid breaking supply chain and pingdemic breaking local supply

"No panic buying here.

It isn't and panic buying this time it is supply chain issues and delivery driver issues which is only affecting parts of the country.

London being one of them."

Again it must depend on the part of London you live in because we haven't noticed any shortages here.

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

It’s terrible over here and has been for months and no sign of it improving. M&S have already said there will be no Christmas food over here.

Belfast

"You should try living in Northern Ireland where most of the main supermarket chains have delisted 100s of lines that are no longer available here and every second online supplier is refusing to deliver to NI.

Not like that here in Derry and Strabane? Always get what we want when shopping."

That because cross border business has increased by 60 percent and the delisted products have been replaced by alternatives from Irish producers.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Not seen it yet, but I’m expecting it to happen sooner or later. However as I go shopping regularly at later times in the day, generally after 6pm on my days off, I am not surprised if I can’t get everything I need.

"No panic buying here.

Again it must depend on the part of London you live in because we haven't noticed any shortages here. "

Good luck to you. Co op, Morrissons, M&S all suffering here.

Derry, Ireland

"It’s terrible over here and has been for months and no sign of it improving. M&S have already said there will be no Christmas food over here. "

We must be lucky then? Only thing I find hard to get in Asda is carlsberg lol

We're far too reliant on long distribution chains, and have got used to a huge choice of imported goods in our supermarkets. Neither of which help with reducing carbon use.

Derry, Ireland

Not like that here in Derry and Strabane? Always get what we want when shopping.

That because cross border business has increased by 60 percent and the delisted products have been replaced by alternatives from Irish producers. "

Suppose or we because we right at border can go shopping to letterkenny or ballyboffay, but as said not find a problem with what we get except for carlsberg lol at time lol

On a mooch

"No panic buying here.

London being one of them."

You are correct there. Some products I’ve took to buying direct from supplier, delivered straight to door cutting out the supermarket middle man.

"No panic buying here.

Again it must depend on the part of London you live in because we haven't noticed any shortages here.

Good luck to you. Co op, Morrissons, M&S all suffering here."

We don't use Morrissons but haven't noticed any issues in M&S or Co op unless is product's we don't normally buy.

£1k bonus for new hgv drivers who sign up during the 'ping-demic'

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

It's a mixture of the pingdemic and low driver pay.

There is no shortage of lorry drivers (75,000 trained/registered drivers were forced out of the industry by employers who used Polish and Romanian drivers to push pay rates down).

Employers are now having to increase wages to lure UK drivers back into the industry. Pay rates have increased by about 20% (and that to agencies by 50%) but it will take time to lure the disgruntled drivers back

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-58006669.amp

Obviously the bbc and people who actually work in the industry are just making the job shortage up.

"No panic buying here.

We don't use Morrissons but haven't noticed any issues in M&S or Co op unless is product's we don't normally buy. "

I put co op down to them being a bit shit at times. Noticed it before Brexit and Covid a few times. Then Morrissons were out of loads of bits. Odd things too, citrus fruit, bin bags. It'll pass I'm sure, but it's definitely a thing.

I've had the same issue food shopping online.

"No panic buying here.

We don't use Morrissons but haven't noticed any issues in M&S or Co op unless is product's we don't normally buy.

I put co op down to them being a bit shit at times. Noticed it before Brexit and Covid a few times. Then Morrissons were out of loads of bits. Odd things too, citrus fruit, bin bags. It'll pass I'm sure, but it's definitely a thing."

I'm not annoying it's a thing its just not something that thankfully has affected us at the moment.

We do tend to go to bigger supermarkets rather than smaller places so I dont know if that makes a difference.

"No panic buying here.

I put co op down to them being a bit shit at times. Noticed it before Brexit and Covid a few times. Then Morrissons were out of loads of bits. Odd things too, citrus fruit, bin bags. It'll pass I'm sure, but it's definitely a thing.

I'm not annoying it's a thing its just not something that thankfully has affected us at the moment.

We do tend to go to bigger supermarkets rather than smaller places so I dont know if that makes a difference. "

*denying

"No panic buying here.

We do tend to go to bigger supermarkets rather than smaller places so I dont know if that makes a difference.

*denying "

Like you say, must be regional.

Spain, Lancs

"https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-58006669.amp

Obviously the bbc and people who actually work in the industry are just making the job shortage up.

"

There is no shortage of drivers. There IS a shortage of drivers actually working after decades in which employers used cheaper Polish and Romanian drivers against them.

Wages are now being increased and the industry will move back into balance...much as it may grieve you to see UK drivers getting a good break at last

liverpool

"https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-58006669.amp

There is no shortage of drivers. There IS a shortage of drivers actually working after decades in which employers used cheaper Polish and Romanian drivers against them.

Wages are now being increased and the industry will move back into balance...much as it may grieve you to see UK drivers getting a good break at last"

So there is a shortage then?

Glad we got that cleared up

There was no bottles of water at all, now I have to use the stuff that comes out of my taps for free.

By *LiamMan  over a year ago

Midlands

It's down to a change in law for overseas lorry drivers. That's the only reason

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

"It's a mixture of the pingdemic and low driver pay.

There is no shortage of lorry drivers (75,000 trained/registered drivers were forced out of the industry by employers who used Polish and Romanian drivers to push pay rates down).

Employers are now having to increase wages to lure UK drivers back into the industry. Pay rates have increased by about 20% (and that to agencies by 50%) but it will take time to lure the disgruntled drivers back"

This is a woefully simplistic and inaccurate view of the issue, as Adrian found out in another Brexit thread.

Unsurprisingly, the 75,000 supposedly disgruntled drivers are not just sitting around waiting to be enticed back by better pay.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

Been a bit annoying not being able to get a couple of items I want (especially fresh food) but I've still been able to get a decent enough shop in. The world is hardly coming to an end.

liverpool

Employers are now having to increase wages to lure UK drivers back into the industry. Pay rates have increased by about 20% (and that to agencies by 50%) but it will take time to lure the disgruntled drivers back

This is a woefully simplistic and inaccurate view of the issue, as Adrian found out in another Brexit thread.

Unsurprisingly, the 75,000 supposedly disgruntled drivers are not just sitting around waiting to be enticed back by better pay."

I couldn’t get any orange juice, so I will be Deficient in vitamin C this week, hopefully I will be okay.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I'm off to the shop later, I shall assess and get back to you, OP. Do you want an inventory of what is and is not available?!

"I’ve just done the big shop and the shelves were mostly empty I couldn’t stock up on the essentials like rice pudding and rice pudding with added jam. I said to the woman at the checkout can I still call this the big shop with only 20% of what I came in for, she said she needed to check the rule book, then her supervisor came over and I asked her, they conferred and both agreed probably not. What’s your view on this, is this the end of days or is this a temporary problem that will be resolved, or do we need to get tins in and start prepping ?!"

tin to open the war cupboard of food!! then

"

Suppose or we because we right at border can go shopping to letterkenny or ballyboffay, but as said not find a problem with what we get except for carlsberg lol at time lol"

I grew up in Norn Iron in the South Armagh badlands in the 80s, would ofter take the car south to Monaghan to fill the car up for cheaper.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I went to Tesco’s this morning and half my list was missing. It’s a bit worrying.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I couldn’t get any orange juice, so I will be Deficient in vitamin C this week, hopefully I will be okay. "

Yep! No orange juice here either. And no Gu’s!! Devastated

By *elpful and caringMan  over a year ago

Scarborough

Make your own rice pudding.

First world problem no tinned rice pudding !

Get a grip man and put it into perspective

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Are people just shopping in anticipation of hot weather to come....?

I've been to several large supermarkets around my county during the week. No signs of any shortages. If the press whip it up again, they should be fucking shot.

Not like that here in Derry and Strabane? Always get what we want when shopping."

Shops fully stocked here won’t go hungry ??

"I couldn’t get any orange juice, so I will be Deficient in vitamin C this week, hopefully I will be okay.

Yep! No orange juice here either. And no Gu’s!! Devastated "

Who would have thought that brexit would be soo good

"Make your own rice pudding.

First world problem no tinned rice pudding !

Get a grip man and put it into perspective "

I don’t think realise the magnitude of the situation, no rice pudding in Devon is unthinkable, quick, warn the others.

"I couldn’t get any orange juice, so I will be Deficient in vitamin C this week, hopefully I will be okay.

Yep! No orange juice here either. And no Gu’s!! Devastated "

Think I’m coming down with Scurvy.

"I'm off to the shop later, I shall assess and get back to you, OP. Do you want an inventory of what is and is not available?! "

Please, it will help fill up this thread.

By *_Yeah19Couple  over a year ago

Lincoln

Maybe because we don’t buy processed / tinned / packet things but I’ve not noticed any issues at any supermarket over the last couple weeks.

TB

By *rightonfranceMan  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

Brexit is costing people who import extra now, so a lot of buyers aren't buying as they cannot raise prices 25 % or more as people wont pay it, well not yet until people realise what is actually happening.

Using the supply chain as the excuse is just the tip of the iceberg.

Imports take longer now, cost more and by some are being boycotted.

"Maybe because we don’t buy processed / tinned / packet things but I’ve not noticed any issues at any supermarket over the last couple weeks.

TB"

We buy processed / tinned / packet things and we haven't noticed a difference either.

Spain, Lancs

Wages are now being increased and the industry will move back into balance...much as it may grieve you to see UK drivers getting a good break at last

"

I think you need to read my answers again

Spain, Lancs

Unsurprisingly, the 75,000 supposedly disgruntled drivers are not just sitting around waiting to be enticed back by better pay."

I think you'll find it's true.

What do you think is the reason?

Spain, Lancs

Unsurprisingly, the 75,000 supposedly disgruntled drivers are not just sitting around waiting to be enticed back by better pay.

"

Do you think we should bring back the Romanian drivers and undercut ..again .. UK drivers?

liverpool

I think you need to read my answers again"

If there wasnt a shortage of drivers..they wouldnt be clamouring for new drivers.

It's really not rocket science.

Spain, Lancs

If there wasnt a shortage of drivers..they wouldnt be clamouring for new drivers.

It's really not rocket science."

There are many trained/registered drivers. 75,000 were forced out of the industry by employers who imported cheap EU labour.

Pay rates are now going up as the cheap EU labour is in shorter supply.

That will lure UK workers back. Very simple economics which all trade unionists and bosses understand.

Do you think we should bring the Romanian drivers back?

liverpool

There are many trained/registered drivers. 75,000 were forced out of the industry by employers who imported cheap EU labour.

That will lure UK workers back. Very simple economics which all trade unionists and bosses understand.

Do you think we should bring the Romanian drivers back?"

I'm not really bothered tbh.

However you seem to have an issue with overseas workers.

When you go to hospital do it insist on an English dr?

Spain, Lancs

When you go to hospital do it insist on an English dr?"

I have an issue with employers using the EU's mass immigration to disrupt the labour market and force wages down domestically.

You'd like to see that return? Why?

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

"I’ve just done the big shop and the shelves were mostly empty

is this the end of days or is this a temporary problem that will be resolved, or do we need to get tins in and start prepping ?!"

we live at the end of the south west wales supply chain, we are used to gaps on the supermarket shelves all the time.

I don't panic buy but I do keep a decent stock of what we need in, it makes sense.

liverpool

I have an issue with employers using the EU's mass immigration to disrupt the labour market and force wages down domestically.

You'd like to see that return? Why?"

Nice swerve

Spain, Lancs

Nice swerve

"

How was it a swerve?

I have asked why you want to see employers force wages down for drivers.

Can you answer?

liverpool

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?"

I asked you do you have a problem with foreign people working in the NHS as you do with lorry drivers?

It's a simple question.

Spain, Lancs

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

I asked you do you have a problem with foreign people working in the NHS as you do with lorry drivers?

It's a simple question. "

I have no problem with being treated by a foreign doctor as you implied earlier.

That you ask such a question shows you don't understand the issues.

Do you think it's about race?

liverpool

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

I have no problem with being treated by a foreign doctor as you implied earlier.

Do you think it's about race?"

So it's ok for foreign people to work for the NHS but not to work in the haulage industry?

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

It’s the pingdemic

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

My opinion is this is happening because of covid + Brexit.

liverpool

"It’s the pingdemic "

Its brexit aswell

By *piderxMan  over a year ago

west lothian

I work in retail theres a shortage of drivers

we cant get the stuff in and also were short of drivers so cant get the stuff out

its holiday time at the moment as well plus people off with covid or been pinged with track and trace

liverpool

"I work in retail theres a shortage of drivers

we cant get the stuff in and also were short of drivers so cant get the stuff out

its holiday time at the moment as well plus people off with covid or been pinged with track and trace "

You should really tell the person who seems convinced there is no shortage.

Spain, Lancs

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

So it's ok for foreign people to work for the NHS but not to work in the haulage industry?"

The issue is that any of 465m people had, in the EU days, the right to come and work in the UK.

This unbalanced supply and demand as a single market in labour forces pay levels down to the lowest within that market.

We now have the right to restrict immigration to stop that oversupply.

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking foreigners. It's about rebalancing our labour market

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

It is a mixture of brexit and the pingdemic.

liverpool

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

So it's ok for foreign people to work for the NHS but not to work in the haulage industry?

The issue is that any of 465m people had, in the EU days, the right to come and work in the UK.

This unbalanced supply and demand as a single market in labour forces pay levels down to the lowest within that market.

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking foreigners. It's about rebalancing our labour market"

And how many of those 465m came?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt people from here go to work abroad?

And if you are correct ..why do we not have record levels of unemployment?

Co op was ok just. You best all rush down there.

Spain, Lancs

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

It has nothing to do with liking or disliking foreigners. It's about rebalancing our labour market

And if you are correct ..why do we not have record levels of unemployment?"

I've already told you Mr Hutz...6m present this year. They're the ones that have registered themselves.

What effect do you think 6m has on a labour force of approximately 30m?

In fact, I suppose it's fair to say we would have full employment without that 6m. Simpli maths.

Do you think full employment pushes wages upwards or downwards?

liverpool

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

I've already told you Mr Hutz...6m present this year. They're the ones that have registered themselves.

In fact, I suppose it's fair to say we would have full employment without that 6m. Simpli maths.

Do you think full employment pushes wages upwards or downwards?"

You just said 465m could come?

So why has the unemployment rate not been 6m then?

Sutely they have come because there are vacancies for them?

I've just done a shop in 3 places for us and my Dad and the shelves were OK.

Spain, Lancs

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

Sutely they have come because there are vacancies for them?"

Yes, there were jobs available for them...and employers used them to put downward pressure on UK wages.

What is difficult to grasp about that?

liverpool

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

Yes, there were jobs available for them...and employers used them to put downward pressure on UK wages.

What is difficult to grasp about that?"

So maybe the employers shoudnt have lowered the wages?

Perhaps you should try blaming the bosses and not the poor sods working to make ends meet?

By *urora1912Woman  over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

Lack of HGV drivers, the pingdemic and holidays, sickness and isolation will not be helping any shop.

Supermarket worker here

Its about 50/50 for stock in my branch

Spain, Lancs

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

Perhaps you should try blaming the bosses and not the poor sods working to make ends meet?"

Who is blaming the workers? You, maybe, who supports the EU which caused this?

No, the EU and it's employer and political supporters are to blame for having a single market in labour.

Why do you laugh gleefully whenever wages go up ..as they are now?

liverpool

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

Perhaps you should try blaming the bosses and not the poor sods working to make ends meet?

No, the EU and it's employer and political supporters are to blame for having a single market in labour.

Why do you laugh gleefully whenever wages go up ..as they are now?"

Who's wages are going up?

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

"It’s the pingdemic

Its brexit aswell "

That’s going swimmingly isn’t it!

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Buy some pudding rice and make your own?! Great done in the slow cooker.

Just got my shopping delivered, no problems as yet.

Spain, Lancs

Nice swerve

How was it a swerve?

Can you answer?

It's a simple question.

Why do you laugh gleefully whenever wages go up ..as they are now?

Who's wages are going up?"

Lorry drivers ..as has already been explained to you

Belfast

I've worked in the supply chain for years and there has been a shortage of multi drop drivers for as long as I've been involved.

So much so that independent wholesalers have had to train existing staff as hgv drivers only to see them walk away and go to work for some of the pallet network hauliers for exactly the same wage they were on but it doesn't involve handballing goods into 15-25 different shops each day.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

Well I went into ALDI today and couldn't believe they had no deep sea diving helmets or underwater mig welders on the shelves, think it's disgusting

Wtf is the pingdemic ?!

"Wtf is the pingdemic ?!"

I think it’s a rare cheese from northern France

On a mooch

"Wtf is the pingdemic ?!"

Don’t go there the thread will descend into the dark side

"Wtf is the pingdemic ?!

Don’t go there the thread will descend into the dark side "

Mwoahahaha

By *urplechesterCouple  over a year ago

chester

I popped to Asda living earlier and I’d say 50% of the shelves were stocked in the toiletries section! One box of wet wipes in the baby section and the rest empty shelving, only found 2 out of 8 things! The staff member said they were very low on stock just now! I didn’t think too much about it tbh, and certainly won’t be panic buying, sure I can make do! Miss pc

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I noticed prices had slipped upwards, so that may be deterring some here. Occasionally a few things but staff are short

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"

No problems in Epsom, local Sainsburys & ASDAs both seem well stocked.

If everyone acts sensibly there shouldn't be any issues...but just so I know when is WW3?

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Southern Wales

You’ll have to make your own rice pudding CJ. Go Old Skool!

I bloody love rice pudding. It’s my comfort food.

"Wtf is the pingdemic ?!

Don’t go there the thread will descend into the dark side "

Sounds app-alling.

I can't find essentials like fresh oysters, caviar and ostrich eggs anywhere. What the hell is my chef going to do me for breakfast? Britain is turning into a third world country

By *xccvvMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire North East

Not read all the comments so sorry if it has been said before

There is a shortage of 60,000 HGV drivers, and it is only going to get worse, they thought the figure of 60,000 was a few years away, but it has hit now.

Lots of Europeans who were here doing the job have left the UK, and gone back to their own Country. Polish drivers have gone home due to their own Country booming economy, and do not need to be here getting better wages, as can earn good money back in their own country.

Test centres have been closed for over a year, do believe they have opened now. it is also expensive to learn heavy goods driving, there a lot more to it than sitting behind a vehicle and eating Yorkie bars lol.

The average age of an HGV driver is 57, and it is hard work.

Some companies are trying to poach drivers from other companies, offering cash in hand of anything between £1000-£2000 golden hello, Tesco are offering £1000 signing on fee to join them.

Spoke with a HGV driver on Wednesday who just had a 6% wage increase 3 months ago, who said his company are now looking to increase all drivers wages again this year to keep them.

Yes the isolating craze has not helped, but the shortage of drivers was always going to happen, just came a bit sooner than expected, and at present not going to get better in the very near future

liverpool

"Not read all the comments so sorry if it has been said before

There is a shortage of 60,000 HGV drivers, and it is only going to get worse, they thought the figure of 60,000 was a few years away, but it has hit now.

Lots of Europeans who were here doing the job have left the UK, and gone back to their own Country. Polish drivers have gone home due to their own Country booming economy, and do not need to be here getting better wages, as can earn good money back in their own country.

Test centres have been closed for over a year, do believe they have opened now. it is also expensive to learn heavy goods driving, there a lot more to it than sitting behind a vehicle and eating Yorkie bars lol.

Some companies are trying to poach drivers from other companies, offering cash in hand of anything between £1000-£2000 golden hello, Tesco are offering £1000 signing on fee to join them.

Spoke with a HGV driver on Wednesday who just had a 6% wage increase 3 months ago, who said his company are now looking to increase all drivers wages again this year to keep them.

Yes the isolating craze has not helped, but the shortage of drivers was always going to happen, just came a bit sooner than expected, and at present not going to get better in the very near future "

Shame they never put that on the side of the bus.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Still waiting for Nigel Farage, Dominic Cummings and the rest of the Brexit gobshites to 'take back control' and sort out all the countries problems...i've just stocked up on pasta and bog roll as its going to be a long fucking wait!!!

"I’ve just done the big shop and the shelves were mostly empty

is this the end of days or is this a temporary problem that will be resolved, or do we need to get tins in and start prepping ?!

we live at the end of the south west wales supply chain, we are used to gaps on the supermarket shelves all the time.

I don't panic buy but I do keep a decent stock of what we need in, it makes sense. "

Yeah I get what you mean. My sister lives on the Isle of Wight and gets a bit extra in for the winter as if the weather is bad and the ferry's can't run.

By *ire76Man  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Some is the hgv shortage and some is brexit and getting stuff in to the country that's causing problems

"I’ve just done the big shop and the shelves were mostly empty I couldn’t stock up on the essentials like rice pudding and rice pudding with added jam. I said to the woman at the checkout can I still call this the big shop with only 20% of what I came in for, she said she needed to check the rule book, then her supervisor came over and I asked her, they conferred and both agreed probably not. What’s your view on this, is this the end of days or is this a temporary problem that will be resolved, or do we need to get tins in and start prepping ?!"

Have you considered makeing your own rice pudding?

"I can't find essentials like fresh oysters, caviar and ostrich eggs anywhere. What the hell is my chef going to do me for breakfast? Britain is turning into a third world country "

You should send Jeeves out in the Bentley and tell him to bally well search harder for said food products.

Spain, Lancs

Yes the isolating craze has not helped, but the shortage of drivers was always going to happen, just came a bit sooner than expected, and at present not going to get better in the very near future

Shame they never put that on the side of the bus."

What bus? Did you notice that pay increases are being offered to drivers? It's what I've told you 50 times now.

Brexit campaigners said for years that wages were depressed by the EU..and that an end to EU membership would end artificial wage suppression.

They are now being proved right.

You, on the other hand, want to bring EU cheap labour back

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Massive shortage of hgv drivers across the country, many foreign returned home but also due to covid many have now found other jobs, lots have jumped ship on to van delivery instead given the surge in online shoppers. Only noticed a shortage of milk in our area today.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Shortage of hgv drivers since Brexit. Long hours and not the best pay a problem that has been bubbling up for quite some time."
also many of the EU drivers have returned home so less drivers who will happily work sat/Sunday and other unsociable shifts for min wage .employers now finding drivers want a descent wage for such shifts and who can blame them

liverpool

What bus? Did you notice that pay increases are being offered to drivers? It's what I've told you 50 times now.

Brexit campaigners said for years that wages were depressed by the EU..and that an end to EU membership would end artificial wage suppression.

You, on the other hand, want to bring EU cheap labour back "

The bus which mentioned the non existent money going to the nhs and the food shortages?

Well seeing as the shelves are empty.. and the shops presumably womt need as many staff..how will that affect peoples wages?

Spain, Lancs

"Still waiting for Nigel Farage, Dominic Cummings and the rest of the Brexit gobshites to 'take back control' and sort out all the countries problems...i've just stocked up on pasta and bog roll as its going to be a long fucking wait!!! "

That's already happening, my friend.

What the EU did was aid transport employers in forcing UK drivers out of the industry and replacing them with cheaper Poles and Romanians

75,000 qualified drivers were forced out. Now we've got Brexit the employers are having to increase drivers pay again.

Remainder gobshites, on the other hand, are still hoping that free movement and renewed wage suppression will return

liverpool

"Still waiting for Nigel Farage, Dominic Cummings and the rest of the Brexit gobshites to 'take back control' and sort out all the countries problems...i've just stocked up on pasta and bog roll as its going to be a long fucking wait!!!

What the EU did was aid transport employers in forcing UK drivers out of the industry and replacing them with cheaper Poles and Romanians

75,000 qualified drivers were forced out. Now we've got Brexit the employers are having to increase drivers pay again.

Remainder gobshites, on the other hand, are still hoping that free movement and renewed wage suppression will return"

Gobshites

Tut tut dear boy

Spain, Lancs

"Still waiting for Nigel Farage, Dominic Cummings and the rest of the Brexit gobshites to 'take back control' and sort out all the countries problems...i've just stocked up on pasta and bog roll as its going to be a long fucking wait!!!

Remainder gobshites, on the other hand, are still hoping that free movement and renewed wage suppression will return

Gobshites

Tut tut dear boy "

You may have noticed that all the abuse comes from Remainers.

Read the initial comment I was replying to...he was merely being given what he had dished out

Hopefully he may reflect

I recruit for 7.5 tonne drivers, they're like rocking horse shit right now.

And we're having a 'mare with settled status.

Spain, Lancs

The bus which mentioned the non existent money going to the nhs and the food shortages?

Well seeing as the shelves are empty.. and the shops presumably womt need as many staff..how will that affect peoples wages?

"

Perhaps the bus should have said support Brexit and your wages will rise.

After all that is what was predicted and what is now happening.

You'd have liked that. Eh, you wouldn't?

liverpool

Gobshites

Tut tut dear boy

Read the initial comment I was replying to...he was merely being given what he had dished out

Hopefully he may reflect"

Fairly sure you are the only person going round calling people gobshites.

Spain, Lancs

"I recruit for 7.5 tonne drivers, they're like rocking horse shit right now. "

Increase wages as other transport companies are doing

liverpool

You'd have liked that. Eh, you wouldn't? "

Are everyone's wages rising?

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

We've had some bare sections. Nothing major. Bottled water and ice cream/lollies all sold out in the heatwave. The salad section was pretty empty the other day too but back to normal now. I'd personally only start worrying if it was widespread. Running out of a few high demand items or just your preferred choice of a particular item isn't reason to panic in my eyes.

Spain, Lancs

Gobshites

Tut tut dear boy

Hopefully he may reflect

Fairly sure you are the only person going round calling people gobshites."

Really? Did you read the original comment I was replying to?

Spain, Lancs

Are everyone's wages rising?"

The people who suffered wage depression ...such as cleaners, drivers, leisure staff, hospitality sector...yes, on the whole. That process is spreading.

Good news, isn't it?

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

No bloody Cherry Lucozade for my delivery in the morning

I'll have to send a minion to the shop for my 4 days' supply I need whilst isolating.

Spain, Lancs

I went to a Spanish supermarket yesterday and was unable to get Brazil nuts, avocados and carrots

liverpool

The people who suffered wage depression ...such as cleaners, drivers, leisure staff, hospitality sector...yes, on the whole. That process is spreading.

Good news, isn't it?"

We havemt had a decent pay rise in 8 years.

Ours havent risen in the slightest.

Do you have a link for all these widespread pay rises?

So sorry to hear this CityJeans hope you're doing OK? Big shop respect to you.

liverpool

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-wages-hospitality-retail-pandemic-b1890591.html

"So sorry to hear this CityJeans hope you're doing OK? Big shop respect to you. "

The worst part about it is I actually remembered my bags for life this time and they come home mostly empty, tough times, stay strong everybody. It’s dog eat dog out there.

Good news, isn't it?"

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s not happening.

"So sorry to hear this CityJeans hope you're doing OK? Big shop respect to you.

The worst part about it is I actually remembered my bags for life this time and they come home mostly empty, tough times, stay strong everybody. It’s dog eat dog out there. "

That's tragic! You should have had a wank in the toilets and filled them with cum so you looked like you had done a successful big shop. X

Spain, Lancs

Good news, isn't it?

We havemt had a decent pay rise in 8 years.

Ours havent risen in the slightest.

Do you have a link for all these widespread pay rises?"

The rises are going to the areas where wages have been artificially depressed in recent decades as the EU's mass immigration...mobilisrd by employers ..is now slowed down.

If you don't work in one of those areas, you won't see the unwinding of that pressure as you never vsaw the winding up of that pressure in the first place.

Spain, Lancs

My usual supermarket in Spain was out of ginger yesterday

Derry, Ireland

"

Suppose or we because we right at border can go shopping to letterkenny or ballyboffay, but as said not find a problem with what we get except for carlsberg lol at time lol

I grew up in Norn Iron in the South Armagh badlands in the 80s, would ofter take the car south to Monaghan to fill the car up for cheaper."

Still is everyone does lol cheaper fuel

Derry, Ireland

"

I grew up in Norn Iron in the South Armagh badlands in the 80s, would ofter take the car south to Monaghan to fill the car up for cheaper.

Still is everyone does lol cheaper fuel"

Lifford does 10% discount to north drivers on fuel.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

"

Tut tut dear boy

Hopefully he may reflect"

The irony is not lost on me that i'm told to reflect on possibly the most stupid decision i've seen in my life (bearing in mind Trump became president), and Brexit is great, by somebody showing as being in Spain

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Good job I grew my own this year. One tomato plant should keep me going till the boats come in. "

How are the toilet roll plants coming along?

Tin town

"Tin hat and batten down the hatches time

Honestly I haven’t noticed, if something isn’t on the shelf I just change or adapt that week’s meal plan. "

Fucking genius... You must have a PhD in food engineering. Please share your wisdom before the country is in uproar.

Loads of reasons

Lack of HG drivers, due to Brexit and settlement status application, and competitive wages in EU.

Lots of people being pinged to self isolate, drivers and manufacturers included.

Countries no wanting or being able to supply UK manufactures.

And people panic buying, whether it be end users or manufacturers, causing shortages and increase in GOGs.

Tin town

"We're far too reliant on long distribution chains, and have got used to a huge choice of imported goods in our supermarkets. Neither of which help with reducing carbon use."

We should all start growing our own avocado's that will sort out the flash flooding problem too.

Tin town

"There was no bottles of water at all, now I have to use the stuff that comes out of my taps for free. "

It's a fucking disgrace, I can't get exactly what I want, delivered to my door when I want it, and not only that I can't get stuff that I don't ever want and have never bought before either. How are we going to manage? If only I could do something about it I would... As long as it didn't require the tiniest bit of thought or effort on my part or to change anything at all about what I buy. Bloody tories / foreigners / brexit / vaccines / pingdemic

Tin town

"Brexit is costing people who import extra now, so a lot of buyers aren't buying as they cannot raise prices 25 % or more as people wont pay it, well not yet until people realise what is actually happening.

Using the supply chain as the excuse is just the tip of the iceberg.

Imports take longer now, cost more and by some are being boycotted."

Wonder if people will buy an alternative... Locally.. Fuck that would be such a terrible thing to happen

"Good job I grew my own this year. One tomato plant should keep me going till the boats come in.

How are the toilet roll plants coming along? "

Well now, greater mullein is known for its large soft leaves, ideal as bog roll. I have loads of that growing

By *appyhumper123Man  over a year ago

hull

Want to know the reason, ask a trucker, I'll hang around for a bit

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I'm off to the shop later, I shall assess and get back to you, OP. Do you want an inventory of what is and is not available?!

Please, it will help fill up this thread. "

Update: I didn't make it to the shop. So I don't know what is or is not available.

*Ends broadcast*

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

Went to my local asda superstore this morning at 7am. All items on list on shelves etc. Did not notice any empty shelves. So depends on where you live ?

By *eivers101Couple  over a year ago

Carlisle

Jane here, I did the monthly Asda shop (do Aldi weekly) after work tonight and it was wayyyyy better than this time last month but that could be down to luck and what was on my list today. There's definitely gaps on any supermarket shelves that just weren't there pre pandemic but it kinda makes grocery shopping a wee bit of an adventure which isn't necessarily a bad thing x

By *elinecdTV/TS  over a year ago

Nr Blackburn

Did my Tesco click and collect today, 100% supply on all the items I ordered.

By *orace pinkerMan  over a year ago

North west

I couldn't find any asparagus tips in brine, all snapped up apparently

Went to three shops this morning no bottled water …shelves only half full ..

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 31/07/21 06:09:14]

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

My local supermarket hasn't been properly stocked since before the pandemic. Fresh fruit and vegetables were worst hit and haven't recovered. Can't remember the last time I saw a non-iceberg lettuce.

The next-nearest supermarket has closed altogether.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"

How strange, this was never mentioned six years ago................. "

That will be because we didn't know about covid six years ago lol

"I couldn't find any asparagus tips in brine, all snapped up apparently "

That’s the last fucking straw, I would have lost my shit.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Fuck my life! They've substituted my dark chocolate coconut and rum bar for dark chocolate and orange

I’ve been avoiding shops but nothing substituted with my online delivery and we have loads of farm shops with locally produced food inside so not worried here

By *iddylad87Man  over a year ago

kidderminster

Blame Canada

"Went to three shops this morning no bottled water …shelves only half full .. "

Tap water is perfectly safe to drink?

"Went to three shops this morning no bottled water …shelves only half full ..

Tap water is perfectly safe to drink?"

Just had work done in our street .. advise was use bottle water for a couple of weeks ….

Had an online shol delivery last night. Got everything ordered.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

No issues locally although we tend to support independent shops rather than supermarkets.

By *overt711CoolMan  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Haven't seen ay empty shelves when I've been shopping.

Maybe it's a combination of what time of day you've been, when the shelves were last stocked and how many other shoppers have beaten you too it.

Is anyone panic buying anything at the moment?"

During the very first outbreak before the first lockdown I was working 1.30pm till 9pm hearing reports of panic buying but not really paying it much attention as I had no need to rush to buy anything as I live on my own.

Then decided to nip into to Sainsburys in Coventry on my way home one evening and was shocked to see the empty shelves that greeted me. It didn’t make me want to panic buy but it does intrigue me as to those who did looking back do they feel justified in doing it, would they do it again and will they own up to it here on this forum.

Tin town

"Good job I grew my own this year. One tomato plant should keep me going till the boats come in.

How are the toilet roll plants coming along?

Well now, greater mullein is known for its large soft leaves, ideal as bog roll. I have loads of that growing "

I've no idea what a Greater mullein is... But if its nature's andrex with aloe for sensitive skin it sounds ideal.

Some people are just very shelfish.

Tin town

"Went to three shops this morning no bottled water …shelves only half full ..

Tap water is perfectly safe to drink?"

What are we cavemen?