FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > HNC at 47!

HNC at 47!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just received a call to say I have been accepted on a 2 year HNC in construction course at University. Has anyone else started studying in later life, and how did you find it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

near Chesterfield

I started my ONC at 28.

I did feel like the "dad" of the group, but actually found the work easy enough due my experience, which the young'ns didn't have.

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

No, but that's awesome. Never too late.

Good for you

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Just received a call to say I have been accepted on a 2 year HNC in construction course at University. Has anyone else started studying in later life, and how did you find it?"

That’s ace. Congrats! I think a lot of people would retrain - it’s just getting financial support for a 2nd degree is tough! Good luck with your new course x

Good for you OP.

Not further education as such, but I've had to take new role related training pretty much up to my first retirement, some of it quite intensive, so I was used to being an old git on the course. I hold a few 'oldest person ever to do this course' titles..

"Just received a call to say I have been accepted on a 2 year HNC in construction course at University. Has anyone else started studying in later life, and how did you find it?"

Embrace it and enjoy. I did a masters degree at 38. I'm now 52 and studying various things which may lead to a new career path. Good luck

By *ildmanYorksMan  over a year ago

Doncaster & Bembridge

I did an HNC in Business IT in my mid thirties. There was a guy on the course who was in his early sixties. He was wanting to set up his own IT consultancy and had no intention of retiring!

I started a degree last October so have just finished my first year and I’ve enjoyed it

"I did an HNC in Business IT in my mid thirties. There was a guy on the course who was in his early sixties. He was wanting to set up his own IT consultancy and had no intention of retiring!"

My boss is 78, he was head of building control at various local authorities and he won't retire either

Good for you, never too old to learn.

Fair play bud! Good luck to you

"I started a degree last October so have just finished my first year and I’ve enjoyed it "

In Donny? that's where I'm gonna be studying

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Fantastic; congratulations!

I've done a couple of postgrad certificates in different disciplines. The last one I did was in Victorian Feminist Literature (useful, I know!) in 2019 so I was 45.

I'll probably look to do a new course in September, but I've not decided yet what I want to do.

It's tough to get back into the discipline of learning but it's a great experience and I hope you really enjoy it.

Yes I did a degree at 50 and was older than my tutors - next mature student was 32. Was great as it was an Arts course so something outside of much of my life experience. Only thing that I did get fed up with was some of the 18 year olds not paying attention during seminars and lectures and watching social media on their phones instead. They would then want me to lend them my notes to do their essays. Also we had to do lots of group projects together and none of them wanted to start work till 12!

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I study all the time at the moment once I finish one thing I do another it helps immensely with my ASD. I find it easier as an adult compared to when I was a child. But that’s because I understand who I am and coping mechanisms.

Good luck OP

"Fantastic; congratulations!

I've done a couple of postgrad certificates in different disciplines. The last one I did was in Victorian Feminist Literature (useful, I know!) in 2019 so I was 45.

I'll probably look to do a new course in September, but I've not decided yet what I want to do.

It's tough to get back into the discipline of learning but it's a great experience and I hope you really enjoy it."

Thanks, I'm a bit nervous but sure it will be fine. So Charlotte Bronte type of stuff? might come in handy for role play, maybe ? x

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"Fantastic; congratulations!

It's tough to get back into the discipline of learning but it's a great experience and I hope you really enjoy it.

Thanks, I'm a bit nervous but sure it will be fine. So Charlotte Bronte type of stuff? might come in handy for role play, maybe ? x"

It will absolutely be fine! It'll be amazing

I did my BSc at 25, and am just finishing my MSc at 39. Life's too short to spend in a job you hate. If you've got the opportunity to change things, do it.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Anita is about to start her masters imminently.

By *d4fun73Man  over a year ago

Shipley

I started my bsc when I was 28 been wanting to do a masters ever since. Never got round to it as its finding the money

Had to leave school at 15. I was a bad boy. Started a science/physics degree early 30's. Never looked back. Successful and then on to higher degree. Career took off! My advice? Go for it ,be ambitious. Anything is possible. PM me if I can help further.

"I started a degree last October so have just finished my first year and I’ve enjoyed it

In Donny? that's where I'm gonna be studying"

Lol my uni is in London! I’m at UoL

By *iving Bi a TryMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

I’m on a second career (with an added covid enforced break!). I’ve really enjoyed getting the necessary qualifications and found the written course work much less onerous than I anticipated.

Gbat

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

Well done. You are never too old to learn new skills.

Scunthorpe

[Removed by poster at 30/07/21 17:57:15]

Scunthorpe

I'm 48 and start a Masters in September

I'm really looking forward to it.

Nita

By *ootleCouple  over a year ago

Romford, Essex

Good on you OP.

I went back to college in 1992 to do a short course - spent the next 12 years studying and ended up head of department at the college I was studying at.

The benefits of FE and HE courses always (almost) outweigh the effort put in - you'll also learn more about yourself on the journey - Good Luck, we wish you every success

By *ackDMissMorganCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

Well done op

good luck

Miss

Thanks for all the support everyone, means a lot x

"Well done op

good luck

Miss"

Thanks Miss, WAWAW

I started uni last September with almost no academic qualifications and have been getting A's and B's all year, go for it OP

Yep, its never too late, your hopefully there because you want to be

"Yep, its never too late, your hopefully there because you want to be "

Yes, been thinking about it for a while, and helps with progression at work x

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

A few years ago I quit my job. To be honest I was never was happy being a desk jockey.

Went and did a 2yr course in Art & Design at a local F.E college. In the 2nd year I was able to do Fine Art.

I learnt so much about myself - especially of what I could & couldn't do. I did more sculpting than painting too. Over all I got a double D star. I've always wanted to get my hands on a pair of double "D"'s! (LOL)

You are never too old to do anything at all!

I got a lot out of the course as the 17/18 yrs got unconditional offers to go to Uni. Most of them didn't push themselves. So, I was in the unique situation of getting out exactly what I put in. I didn't go to Uni as I had a HND & had bin there done that, got the t-shirt & starred in the film.

Once I took the jump I have never ever looked back since! Glad I did.

"Yep, its never too late, your hopefully there because you want to be

Yes, been thinking about it for a while, and helps with progression at work x"

I say good on you!

By *addyAWoman  over a year ago

Beside the Seaside

"Thanks, I'm a bit nervous but sure it will be fine. So Charlotte Bronte type of stuff? might come in handy for role play, maybe ? x"

I work in a university and there will be a whole host of support services on standby to get you over that nervousness and to give help whenever you need it - the secret is to ask.

The start of this term is likely to be a huge shock to everyone, especially as we’ll have two years worth of students who haven’t had an on campus experience. Mind you, by the time freshers’ ends, there will be plenty who have

By *sm81Couple  over a year ago

warwickshire

Just finished a 2 year access course and on to uni September at 39

I went to college relatively late. I probably missed out on a lot of the stuff you would go through if I'd done it at 18 or 19, mostly bad late-teen behaviour. On the other hand I thought years of work had taught me to be more methodical in studying.

Well done, I did an ONC when I was 21, found it hard studying and working but I hope it goes well for you, go for it, Matey

By * little bit naughtyCouple  over a year ago

Bedford

Congratulations!

I started a university course at 44. Like someone else said, the years of work experience helped.

Induction was interesting- I looked around the room and saw a few men and women my age…and realised they were taking their kids there.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Went to uni at 28 or 29. They used to call me dad.

[Removed by poster at 30/07/21 23:16:22]

That is amazing! Well done you and good luck for your future ventures

I started studying for my BA honours at the age of 41 while working 40 hrs a week and two sons still at home....it was no easy feat but I enjoyed it...never believed I could ever go to to University, I'm not academic and I am dyslexic, but I soon realised that motivation, passion for your discipline are far more important.

I loved studying and have since gone on to to do another degree and a diploma

By *ilfCrumpet9Man  over a year ago

Wirral

Went to uni in my 50s to do a teaching degree and graduated. Proudest day of my life

» Add a new message to this topic