FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Intelligence

Intelligence

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abarella OP   Woman  over a year ago

Warminster

What is your measure of intelligence?

Do you think that people who are educated are more intelligent than someone who dropped out of school as soon as they were old enough?

Or maybe people who are worldly wise, experienced life?

What do you guys think?

Do you consider yourself intelligent and why?

Maybe I'll elaborate on why I'm asking this as we go along.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If day can spel, is gud enuf 4 me innit.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I don't think it's about bits of paper - that's as much a measure of privilege these days as anything else.

I think it's a mindset. An ability to question, to think outside the box.

I think I'm moderately intelligent.

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

Having a high level of education definately does not mean intelligence with quite a few people I've encountered through work.

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

I've learned more through life experiences than I ever did in school x

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

There are different types of intelligence.

Some of the people I work with are the smartest people I've ever met... but they have absolutely no common sense or social intelligence.

Then I've had some good mates that dropped out of education as soon as possible as they struggled, but they just really knew what was what, and understood life.

By *amie HantsWoman  over a year ago

Atlantis

I think humour is a pretty good indicator. Doesn’t have to be really intelligent jokes that only a rocket scientist would understand but quick wit I notice and appreciate in someone

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Intelligence is not about education. I see education more as a measure of intellect rather than intelligence. A good mashup of some wisdom, intelligence and intellect does the trick for me

By *ehindHerEyesCouple  over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

Education has nothing to do will intelligence normally.

If someone can hold an interesting conversation, challenge thinking and can back up their opinion with sound reasoning then I would class them as intelligent

BG

By *ookie doughMan  over a year ago

leic

Every day is a school day as they say, I consider myself quite intelligent yet maths and English were my worse subjects at school,

Think intelligence comes in many forms, common sense, street wise and education. Can’t measure everyone on that. Everyone will be different.

Personally I think intelligence can fall into many categories, it has its own meaning, depending on how you yourself view it. For me I believe intelligence is the notion of a person being able to adapt to new changes, be intuitive and empathetic. To be self aware of their own surroundings, to be able to effectively manage one's emotions.

"I think humour is a pretty good indicator. Doesn’t have to be really intelligent jokes that only a rocket scientist would understand but quick wit I notice and appreciate in someone "

100% this. A shared sense of humour often equates to the ability to communicate easily with one another, which in turn leads to much, much better sex. The opposite of rocket science!

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

I like people that can chat about a wide range of subjects.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

One should never conflate education and intelligence. I agree with swing though, it's more of a mindset than anything.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I nose what I nose

Aylesbury

"I nose what I nose "

And what you nose needs no excuses?

By *abarella OP   Woman  over a year ago

Warminster

Very interesting.

So what if someone was to proclaim they were intelligent, be out spoken of their own views and they're intelligence, how would you see them? Would you believe they were intelligent?

I don’t have a particular measure per say but I will realise where the other person is within a couple minutes of talking to them

By *dalisqueWoman  over a year ago

land of make believe

Aparently there are 8 different types of intelligence.

We can't all be highly proficient in all.

I like to think I am intelligent, although I am sure everyone does and we all are in differing areas,finding out is what makes someone intriguing.

I used to think I was sapiosexual,I now realise there are more important traits although aparently there is a link to sexual activity and scoring highly in cognitive tests so maybe that's what excites and intrigues me so.

Aylesbury

"Very interesting.

So what if someone was to proclaim they were intelligent, be out spoken of their own views and they're intelligence, how would you see them? Would you believe they were intelligent? "

Depends what they say. Trump thinks he is intelligent so you always have to take such statements with a pinch of salt.

By *ayHaychMan  over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

Education does not show intelligence.

How you define intelligence can be a debate in itself, before considering how you measure it.

In day to day life I would call people intelligent if they are able to think critically, self-reflect, and are able to admit that they may be wrong.

Manchester (she/her)

"Very interesting.

So what if someone was to proclaim they were intelligent, be out spoken of their own views and they're intelligence, how would you see them? Would you believe they were intelligent? "

Some people who say that are correct, some aren't. I wouldn't view their self belief as indicative of their intelligence or not.

"Very interesting.

If they brandished their high level of intelligence as a sign that they no longer needed to exchange ideas with others, I would immediately see then as ignorant and unintelligent.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

It can be measured in many ways, including emotional intelligence and self awareness.

Far too many variables. You can have someone who's academic but zero common sense, are they less or more intelligent than someone with plenty of common who can think on their feet and adapt? Some have both and others have neither.

There is so much in this world to learn and discover, and plenty not of this world too. We all know stuff others don't and don't know stuff others do.

shits creek

"Very interesting.

I would assume they're well versed in what they already know, and probably believe their knowledge about it. I would not however, base my views on their intelligence on one subject. It takes time to build a big picture based on many things from how theirs views to their actions

shits creek

"Very interesting.

So what if someone was to proclaim they were intelligent, be out spoken of their own views and they're intelligence, how would you see them? Would you believe they were intelligent?

I would assume they're well versed in what they already know, and probably believe their knowledge about it. I would not however, base my views on their intelligence on one subject. It takes time to build a big picture based on many things from how theirs views to their actions "

And whether they proof read and catch the sentence screw up before posting

By *andonmessMan  over a year ago

A world all of his own

My perspective is that "intelligence" is specific to the individual. My niece kills me when she calls herself thick because she doesn't know something. She has depths of knowledge in areas that I have absolutely no idea on.

As for myself, not terribly academically qualified, have a relatively broad range of knowledge but that's pretty much as far as I'd ever go.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Intelligence to me is the quest to learn and understand more.

With regards professing intelligence, I'm average intellectually. But I am highly knowledgeable in my area of expertise, which makes me one of a handful of people in the world. So if someone tried telling me I was wrong in that subject area, I would tell them they'd better have evidence to back themselves up.

Intelligence (in a nutshell) is the ability to think critically about things, sense our environment and respond appropriately. Education helps us to apply our intelligence more effectively.

As individuals we can't know everything about everything but as intelligent people we know where to find out or who to listen to and then make more informed decisions.

Ignorance is not bothering with any of this.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

I left school before I took my O Levels.

I'm doing ok so far.

Manchester (she/her)

"Very interesting.

I would assume they're well versed in what they already know, and probably believe their knowledge about it. I would not however, base my views on their intelligence on one subject. It takes time to build a big picture based on many things from how theirs views to their actions

And whether they proof read and catch the sentence screw up before posting "

Intelligence and proofreading are often non overlapping magisteria

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Intelligence (in a nutshell) is the ability to think critically about things, sense our environment and respond appropriately. Education helps us to apply our intelligence more effectively.

As individuals we can't know everything about everything but as intelligent people we know where to find out or who to listen to and then make more informed decisions.

Ignorance is not bothering with any of this. "

Nicely said.

Years ago I went to work, as an engineering undergraduate, on a building site. The section engineer said to me "None of the men out there are as well educated as you but what they do have masses of is common sense. Listen to what they have to say."

That stood me in good stead throughout my life. I learnt a hell of a lot from intelligent uneducated people.

By *oroRick1027Man  over a year ago

The Boro

I am a member of Mensa with an IQ of 153. I left school at 15 with no qualifications.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Not intelligent no! Never wanted to be tbh! X

By *agicM53XMan  over a year ago

Croydon

I don't think people that are educated are necessarily more intelligent...I would never generalise, however I do believe that people that are educated are more open minded, and people that are uneducated are more ignorant. I simply believe (the correct) education will offer a person a greater exposure to different forms of philosophies.

By *eversayNeverCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Liverpool

Everybody is genius.

But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

A.E

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"Everybody is genius.

But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

A.E"

I like that quote x

It is hard to measure intelligence and I think a lot of us are intelligent in different ways. I would say I am more interested in particular things and so knowledge of them feels more valuable to me.

And no I do not consider myself intelligent but I think I speak well and know a fair bit on what I’ve studied and researched- nowhere near enough is all.

I've always been considered a clever idiot...but on the other hand in my industry who are in positions they shouldn't intelligence wise they just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

More often than not, intelligence doesn't equate to a successful career/life

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Intelligence to me is the quest to learn and understand more.

With regards professing intelligence, I'm average intellectually. But I am highly knowledgeable in my area of expertise, which makes me one of a handful of people in the world. So if someone tried telling me I was wrong in that subject area, I would tell them they'd better have evidence to back themselves up.

"

Which area ?

By *ocothumpaMan  over a year ago

quite close to you

Intelligence can be measured in many different ways:

I was at school with one of those kids who you’d see going to university at 13 (which he did) - last I heard he did 3years at her Majesty’s for attempted robbery.

Also I read the complete Lord of the Rings when I was 9, designed some cars for Matchbox/Corgi at the same time (was paid £15) but failed my Maths GCSE three times

My uncle works for NASA, has 2 PhDs, cannot drive a car…he just cannot figure it out

Intelligence is isn’t just education for me it’s creative application and curiosity.

But then again I’m not that smart to truly know

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I think I'm reasonably intelligent and am good at problem solving. I don't base my view of intelligence on how educated someone may be because there are a lot of people in dole queues discussing their degrees.

I've seen highly educated people sit in a room for 3 hours trying to find a workaround for an issue in a warehouse only for them to tear up their plans because I already had it sorted in 20 minutes.

I don't have an enormous hunger for knowledge and much prefer to pick up little bits and pieces as I go because that allows life to flow naturally rather than grind to a halt while I study things.

Emotional intelligence is an entirely different conversation.

I do however take issue with those who use their intelligence as their USP and are quick to tell everyone how smart they are because that is just intellectual snobbery and like so many things, if you have to tell people you are intelligent it's highly likely you are projecting a different image to those around you.

By *ouno2muchMan  over a year ago

London

"Aparently there are 8 different types of intelligence.

I like to think I am intelligent, although I am sure everyone does and we all are in differing areas,finding out is what makes someone intriguing.

I used to think I was sapiosexual,I now realise there are more important traits although aparently there is a link to sexual activity and scoring highly in cognitive tests so maybe that's what excites and intrigues me so.

"

This is very interesting. Anyone care you share what those 8 types are? (Emotional intelligence is one)

Smarts come from experiences il never be book smart but iv been thru one rollercoaster of a movie script life to learn from

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Intelligence is independent of education, and sometimes education actually hinders the development of intelligence/

For the , the ability to think independently, to ask questions, to bring challenges, to remain open to new evidence and above all to be prepared to question yourself, your judgment and that of people around you... that is closer to the definition of intelligence than a degree.

La la land

Which area ?"

Tom trust me you don't want to know what this crazy scientist gets up to, I'd blow your mind

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Which area ?"

She's a scary science type

By *uciferLingerieMan  over a year ago

Leeds

I once got 8 correct answers on universally challenged!

I find intelligence and common sense a big + when connecting with someone!

By *dalisqueWoman  over a year ago

land of make believe

"Aparently there are 8 different types of intelligence.

This is very interesting. Anyone care you share what those 8 types are? (Emotional intelligence is one)

"

Linguistic,

Logical/Mathematical,

Spatial,

Bodily-Kinesthetic,

Musical,

Interpersonal,

Intrapersonal,

Naturalist.

This is according to Gardners theory of multiple intelligences.

By *irthandgirthMan  over a year ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

I've known guys who can calculate radar frequencies in their heads but can't cross the road on their own..

I've seen post grads unable to put the correct side of a socket onto a bolt head..

I've seen people who have left school with GCSEs run rings around University educated people as soon as they aren't in their specialist field.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

I don’t think graduates are more intelligent but they learn the critical thinking and analysts skills and often become more intelligent as a result. New ones are often quite dumb, but in the right companies can become very good after a few years of training

I think anyone has the potential to be intelligent, brain is like muscle, it’s proven, it’s develops when supported & challenged and failing is better for growth same as business skills , but mosts people aren’t in the right settings to become intelligent or gain business skills.

Life skills, common sense , intelligence, business skills are all very different things

La la land

"I've known guys who can calculate radar frequencies in their heads but can't cross the road on their own..

I've seen post grads unable to put the correct side of a socket onto a bolt head..

I've seen people who have left school with GCSEs run rings around University educated people as soon as they aren't in their specialist field."

I have a PhD, I can cross the road (though did get run over once). And I am proficient at DIY and I grew up on a farm so I have a decent amount of common sense.

Why on threads on intelligence are us who are educated portrayed as bumbling idiots? I know people who are educated and uneducated who are severely lacking in the common sense department.

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

I have autism and did nursing for 15years so I must have intelligence...

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

"I've known guys who can calculate radar frequencies in their heads but can't cross the road on their own..

I've seen people who have left school with GCSEs run rings around University educated people as soon as they aren't in their specialist field.

I have a PhD, I can cross the road (though did get run over once). And I am proficient at DIY and I grew up on a farm so I have a decent amount of common sense.

Why on threads on intelligence are us who are educated portrayed as bumbling idiots? I know people who are educated and uneducated who are severely lacking in the common sense department.

"

Because it's easy, lazy stereotyping designed to look down on those who are educated. Not all the time, obviously, just a fair bit. See also the idea that beautiful people are dicks. Not every one with an education is intelligent, likewise, not everyone who doesn't have one is.

It's perfectly feasible to have common sense and an education and be able to think critically, independently... you get the idea.

It reminds me of awful media depictions that lead people to think autistic people are savants and unable to function outside of their limited field of excellence.

Dubai

"I think I'm reasonably intelligent and am good at problem solving. I don't base my view of intelligence on how educated someone may be because there are a lot of people in dole queues discussing their degrees.

I've seen highly educated people sit in a room for 3 hours trying to find a workaround for an issue in a warehouse only for them to tear up their plans because I already had it sorted in 20 minutes.

I don't have an enormous hunger for knowledge and much prefer to pick up little bits and pieces as I go because that allows life to flow naturally rather than grind to a halt while I study things.

Emotional intelligence is an entirely different conversation.

I do however take issue with those who use their intelligence as their USP and are quick to tell everyone how smart they are because that is just intellectual snobbery and like so many things, if you have to tell people you are intelligent it's highly likely you are projecting a different image to those around you."

Now re-read your first and last paragraphs….

I agree anyone I’ve met who claims to be intelligent usually isn’t , smart people don’t really value it, it’s just very normal to us to think fast. solve things, see the wood & the trees, learn fast etc. And people who don’t have that just as valuable in the team, completer finishers, detail people, legals etc

Dubai

"

I think there’s a certain amount of envy , to be fair education is a privilege even in the uk. It typically takes your parents to make big sacrifices to get a good one

"

Yes I hate this. Forever hearing “book smart vs life smart” which actually just sounds like a load of tosh.

La la land

Because it's easy, lazy stereotyping designed to look down on those who are educated. Not all the time, obviously, just a fair bit. See also the idea that beautiful people are dicks. Not every one with an education is intelligent, likewise, not everyone who doesn't have one is.

It's perfectly feasible to have common sense and an education and be able to think critically, independently... you get the idea.

It reminds me of awful media depictions that lead people to think autistic people are savants and unable to function outside of their limited field of excellence.

"

I agree with you Meli, people are so quick to judge others intelligence for what aim? I'm dyslexic I will and do mess up with the written word and I still can't do my times tables. Which some believe is due to lack of intelligence, but I have a PhD.

The only intelligence I care about is if it's needed to perform the task in hand. I want a mechanic who fixes my breaks correctly and a surgeon who knows what they are doing when they cut me open.

La la land

I think there’s a certain amount of envy , to be fair education is a privilege even in the uk. It typically takes your parents to make big sacrifices to get a good one"

Yep I agree, my Dad didn't want me to sit my GCSES even. My parents made no sacrifices and I'm still paying off my debts at my age, for the privilege to learn. I don't regret it, it was my choice to chose learning over holidays and such like.

By *edsmudgeMan  over a year ago

oxford

I did like to believe I was smarter than I let on but honestly I think I just got smarter at hiding my lack of smarts ,

I always thought I could understand most things I was told . But sadly I only made it 3/4 the way through ‘brief history…’ before I put it down . With ‘sorry Steven ; you’ve lost me.

Also my attempts to learn an instrument or language have failed past any real ability.

… I guess that’s why these things are attractive in a partner … that and a gcse in drama . Primarily for role play purposes. But also if your going to lie I want to be able to believe it

‘Nooo size doesn’t matter ‘and such

North West

"I did like to believe I was smarter than I let on but honestly I think I just got smarter at hiding my lack of smarts ,

I always thought I could understand most things I was told . But sadly I only made it 3/4 the way through ‘brief history…’ before I put it down . With ‘sorry Steven ; you’ve lost me.

Also my attempts to learn an instrument or language have failed past any real ability.

… I guess that’s why these things are attractive in a partner … that and a gcse in drama . Primarily for role play purposes. But also if your going to lie I want to be able to believe it

‘Nooo size doesn’t matter ‘and such"

Forgive if I've misunderstood, but are you suggesting that things like the ability to learn a language or an instrument are only "attractive" features in a partner, for role play purposes (like a GCSE in drama)?

Are you not simply projecting your own perceived lack of ability upon others there?

I can't rewire a house, but I might well well find a Part P qualified sparky attractive...

"

These were 3 examples that highlight the OP's that education doesn't always equal intelligence. Not intended as a broadbrush statement. I probably should have clarified further. Sorry for any confusion

By *edsmudgeMan  over a year ago

oxford

"I did like to believe I was smarter than I let on but honestly I think I just got smarter at hiding my lack of smarts ,

Forgive if I've misunderstood, but are you suggesting that things like the ability to learn a language or an instrument are only "attractive" features in a partner, for role play purposes (like a GCSE in drama)?

Are you not simply projecting your own perceived lack of ability upon others there?

I can't rewire a house, but I might well well find a Part P qualified sparky attractive... "

Erm yes I think you misunderstood . ( I’m probably missing punctuation some where . Both those things I would find attractive . The gcse in drama was an attempt to be funny

North West

I can't rewire a house, but I might well well find a Part P qualified sparky attractive...

Erm yes I think you misunderstood . ( I’m probably missing punctuation some where . Both those things I would find attractive . The gcse in drama was an attempt to be funny"

Excellent, we're on the same page then

La la land

These were 3 examples that highlight the OP's that education doesn't always equal intelligence. Not intended as a broadbrush statement. I probably should have clarified further. Sorry for any confusion "

Agreed just as much as education does not equate a lack of common sense

Chelmsford

Which area ?

Tom trust me you don't want to know what this crazy scientist gets up to, I'd blow your mind "

Now I am even more curious.. x

These were 3 examples that highlight the OP's that education doesn't always equal intelligence. Not intended as a broadbrush statement. I probably should have clarified further. Sorry for any confusion

Agreed just as much as education does not equate a lack of common sense "

I think that for some people they get so stuck in whatever mental rabbit hole they go down other things become inconsequential in their brains.

However when someone has it all (intelligence, common sense, beauty, SOH, amazing personality etc) I always assume they make slippers out of kittens just for cosmic balance

By *ean counterMan  over a year ago

Kettering/ Market Harborough

I'm fairly intelligent, did well at school, have a very good job etc but some of the people I work with are on a different level ! I know at least two of them were privately educated and my god it shows !

I don’t consider myself intelligent, left school at 16 , no qualifications and joined the army

I do consider myself very practical, I love building things, over the Easter weekend I built a tree house for my grandchildren

Dubai

I think there’s a certain amount of envy , to be fair education is a privilege even in the uk. It typically takes your parents to make big sacrifices to get a good one

Yep I agree, my Dad didn't want me to sit my GCSES even. My parents made no sacrifices and I'm still paying off my debts at my age, for the privilege to learn. I don't regret it, it was my choice to chose learning over holidays and such like. "

Parts of the midlands and east are still

Like this. Did some mentoring in 2005 terrible stories. Parents laugh & tell their kids not to be silly when they say this man at school said I’m smart enough to go to uni. They would rather they become a hairdresser or decorator at 16 bevaose it’s all real job and it undermines them to have children who can think

By *ean counterMan  over a year ago

Kettering/ Market Harborough

Yes unfortunately having a high level of intelligence doesn't guarantee having any common sense !

By *rontier PsychiatristMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Hard to say I don't really try to measure people's intellectual performance in the everyday setting. Raw intellectual ability is not that important to me. You can do maths, problem solve, etc, great, so can I. Maybe you can do it better, cool, not that important to me.

I normally try and gauge emotional intelligence and wisdom though. That's important to me. Its normally a good indication to me when someone can talk openly and so an understanding of themself, their weaknesses and be ok with them. Also after being talking with someone some time you get a feel cultural wealth and the things they know. But to me these thing aren't raw intellectual might. However granted they can sometimes be an indication to someone ability.

Yep I agree, my Dad didn't want me to sit my GCSES even. My parents made no sacrifices and I'm still paying off my debts at my age, for the privilege to learn. I don't regret it, it was my choice to chose learning over holidays and such like.

Like this. Did some mentoring in 2005 terrible stories. Parents laugh & tell their kids not to be silly when they say this man at school said I’m smart enough to go to uni. They would rather they become a hairdresser or decorator at 16 bevaose it’s all real job and it undermines them to have children who can think "

Ex gf of mine worked at a school in Grimsby. There was a 60% illiteracy rate among the parents. A lot were 2nd or 3rd generation on benefits and illiterate. I hate to think how that mindset may have held back so many kids from taking opportunities that could get them out of that cycle

La la land

Like this. Did some mentoring in 2005 terrible stories. Parents laugh & tell their kids not to be silly when they say this man at school said I’m smart enough to go to uni. They would rather they become a hairdresser or decorator at 16 bevaose it’s all real job and it undermines them to have children who can think "

Same from the part of the world I'm from. Which is why I go back home and do outreach work, show them what is possible

By *rNice.Man  over a year ago

Doncaster

How do you "measure" a piece of string ?

How you were brought up and are you a decent person is more important .. people can be arsoles even if they are smart or thick as mud ......

"What is your measure of intelligence?

Do you think that people who are educated are more intelligent than someone who dropped out of school as soon as they were old enough?

Or maybe people who are worldly wise, experienced life?

What do you guys think?

Do you consider yourself intelligent and why?

Maybe I'll elaborate on why I'm asking this as we go along."

I don’t think intelligence is necessarily defined by academic achievement - I personally place a much higher value on emotional Intelligence and general understanding of the world around us; understanding what motivates people; forming views of your own that are reasoned and sound and - crucially - stand up to some scrutiny (regardless of wether those views are perceived as right or wrong).

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Which area ?

Tom trust me you don't want to know what this crazy scientist gets up to, I'd blow your mind "

Brilliant. Please tell me you're breeding a shark that goes on the dark using jellyfish DNA?

Mr

La la land

Which area ?

Tom trust me you don't want to know what this crazy scientist gets up to, I'd blow your mind

Brilliant. Please tell me you're breeding a shark that goes on the dark using jellyfish DNA?

Mr"

Do use jelly fish glow in the dark proteins

Manchester (she/her)

Which area ?

Mr"

With friggin' lasers?

Chelmsford

Which area ?

Mr

Do use jelly fish glow in the dark proteins "

Come on Friday.. what is your specialist area xx

By *elle11Woman  over a year ago

Birmingham

I'm fairly intelligent, I like people who are worldly wise, people who don't buy into the BS we are fed daily.

Having a degree isn't necessarily a sign of intelligence. It just means you were good at recalling stuff under pressure on a specific day

Dubai

"I'm fairly intelligent, I like people who are worldly wise, people who don't buy into the BS we are fed daily.

Having a degree isn't necessarily a sign of intelligence. It just means you were good at recalling stuff under pressure on a specific day"

It also means you studied stuff at higher level for 3 or more years. Other than doing a BA it’s hard to spend 3 years reading, analysing and critiquing text. Other than a BSC It’s hard to spend 3 years learning and applying the scientific method to your own experiments. You. These things develop skills you need and use everyday in senior roles. If you do MA/MSc you go even higher , formulating new ideas/inventions publishing your work to the community or doing formal or practitioner based research.

The recall test is done at GCSE level. Pass that you can choose to do the hardest recall tests there are - A Levels.

Depending on what & how well you do there you can then study a degree, which isn’t about recall at all , it’s about intense amounts of reading, applying, debating and formulating new ideas and approaches that the world needs to carry out massive projects. Try building a seven mile bridge across a piece of water to connect two cities without any engineering graduates in the team or finding a vaccine and you’ll quickly realise the value of education

La la land

Which area ?

Mr

With friggin' lasers?"

Let's up the ante land walking sharks

Manchester (she/her)

Which area ?

Mr

With friggin' lasers?

Let's up the ante land walking sharks "

With snakes for hair and jellyfish tendrils for fingers.

And I want lasers

North West

"I'm fairly intelligent, I like people who are worldly wise, people who don't buy into the BS we are fed daily.

Having a degree isn't necessarily a sign of intelligence. It just means you were good at recalling stuff under pressure on a specific day

It also means you studied stuff at higher level for 3 or more years. Other than doing a BA it’s hard to spend 3 years reading, analysing and critiquing text. Other than a BSC It’s hard to spend 3 years learning and applying the scientific method to your own experiments. You. These things develop skills you need and use everyday in senior roles. If you do MA/MSc you go even higher , formulating new ideas/inventions publishing your work to the community or doing formal or practitioner based research.

The recall test is done at GCSE level. Pass that you can choose to do the hardest recall tests there are - A Levels.

Depending on what & how well you do there you can then study a degree, which isn’t about recall at all , it’s about intense amounts of reading, applying, debating and formulating new ideas and approaches that the world needs to carry out massive projects. Try building a seven mile bridge across a piece of water to connect two cities without any engineering graduates in the team or finding a vaccine and you’ll quickly realise the value of education "

*Applause*

La la land

Which area ?

Mr

With friggin' lasers?

Let's up the ante land walking sharks

With snakes for hair and jellyfish tendrils for fingers.

And I want lasers"

I'm rubbish at that kind of thing, but I know people lol

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

Depending on what & how well you do there you can then study a degree, which isn’t about recall at all , it’s about intense amounts of reading, applying, debating and formulating new ideas and approaches that the world needs to carry out massive projects. Try building a seven mile bridge across a piece of water to connect two cities without any engineering graduates in the team or finding a vaccine and you’ll quickly realise the value of education "

I'm shit at recall tests. They just don't work for me.

So after doing awful at GCSE and almost failing both English and Math, I went on to college to do a coursework based BTEC rather than A levels (annoyingly I had to retake English and Maths, but just about did well enough).

After doing really well there, I went onto Uni and got a Degree in Computer Science (the modules I chose were mainly all coursework based rather than test based).

The degree helped me get a job as it showed I had the correct mindset for the job. I can analyse and document things and formulate and present my ideas in a way that is understood by others, and I'm not a quitter.

I'm still shit at maths, and don't know my times tables.

Am I intelligent? In some ways yes and the degree helps show that, but in other ways no.

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man  over a year ago

Stourbridge

Have a friend who is a genuine rocket scientist, he’s works at NASA and ESA. He’s a double PhD he’s as stupid as they come and terribly unreliable

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

Although I absolutely recognise the different types of intelligence, I do like educated and cultured people. I am more likely to have things in common on with them.

Chelmsford

Tom has been schooled in many subjects and has a natural flair for many disciplines. He also has a flair for educating others, discussing and debating.. He does not claim to be intelligent but many others describe him that way..

On the balance of those views and all probability then he is very very intelligent

By *nakePilotMan  over a year ago

Merseyside & Shropshire

My old Dad (who was one of the smartest people I've ever met) defined intelligence as "reasoning power plus imagination".

Problem is, we, as a species, evolved to run, not to reason. See "The Evolution of Consciousness" by Robert Ornstein, or "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. It takes a great deal of practice and discipline to overcome our genes...

And then there is "emotional intelligence", which is something quite different, and more relevant in the realm of relationships.

It's a bit sad being Nicola Tesla, if you don't relate well, and so have little chance of passing your genius genes on to another generation. Rather be Johann Sebastian Bach, a genius who had 20 kids...!

Education is only part of the story. We in this country are still extremely class-ridden, where "educated" can still mean nothing more than you were lucky or rich enough to go to the "right" school or university, and speak with strangulated vowels... Look at our politicians and civil servants. Not exactly the brightest bulbs...

In this day and age, anyone can educate themselves, most obviously via the internet.

The great philosopher Karl Popper defined True Ignorance as "not lack of knowledge, but only the refusal to acquire it..."

Every day try to learn something new, and your mind will never atrophy. The body will want to carry on living too...

My brother works for the bbc.

He’s an intelligent.

"There are different types of intelligence.

Some of the people I work with are the smartest people I've ever met... but they have absolutely no common sense or social intelligence.

Then I've had some good mates that dropped out of education as soon as possible as they struggled, but they just really knew what was what, and understood life."

This times a million.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I am a member of Mensa with an IQ of 153. I left school at 15 with no qualifications."

Many Mensa Members cannot tie their own shoelaces.

King's Crustacean

Intelligence is natural. Formal education is a social construct.

They should not be confused.

If someone told me they were intelligent that would not prevent me from forming my own opinion in their statement.

If I was genuinely curious as to why they thought themselves intelligent, i'd ask them to explain to me how they measure intelligence.

"Intelligence is natural. Formal education is a social construct.

If someone told me they were intelligent that would not prevent me from forming my own opinion in their statement.

If I was genuinely curious as to why they thought themselves intelligent, i'd ask them to explain to me how they measure intelligence. "

God I want to eat a lifetime’s supply of crumpets with your brain right now Granny.

King's Crustacean

"My old Dad (who was one of the smartest people I've ever met) defined intelligence as "reasoning power plus imagination".

Problem is, we, as a species, evolved to run, not to reason. See "The Evolution of Consciousness" by Robert Ornstein, or "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. It takes a great deal of practice and discipline to overcome our genes...

And then there is "emotional intelligence", which is something quite different, and more relevant in the realm of relationships.

It's a bit sad being Nicola Tesla, if you don't relate well, and so have little chance of passing your genius genes on to another generation. Rather be Johann Sebastian Bach, a genius who had 20 kids...!

Education is only part of the story. We in this country are still extremely class-ridden, where "educated" can still mean nothing more than you were lucky or rich enough to go to the "right" school or university, and speak with strangulated vowels... Look at our politicians and civil servants. Not exactly the brightest bulbs...

In this day and age, anyone can educate themselves, most obviously via the internet.

The great philosopher Karl Popper defined True Ignorance as "not lack of knowledge, but only the refusal to acquire it..."

Every day try to learn something new, and your mind will never atrophy. The body will want to carry on living too..."

What is a genius ? Or for that matter what is genius ?

Philosophers are just people who think. Their thoughts don't make them right.

Heidegger was a sodding nut job and Nietzsche a miserable git. Popper was a Philosopher of Science......

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

Personally I think most street smart people are naturally more intelligent than many "educated" people.

By *nakePilotMan  over a year ago

Merseyside & Shropshire

"What is a genius ? Or for that matter what is genius ?

Philosophers are just people who think. Their thoughts don't make them right.

Heidegger was a sodding nut job and Nietzsche a miserable git. Popper was a Philosopher of Science...... "

On a purely statistical level we are talking about IQs in the 1-in-100 range, or more probably the 1-in-200 range.

But many of those people will be completely unknown, with little tangible achievements to show for their statistically "genius" existence...

On the other hand, Aristotle, Archimedes, Leonardo, Michelangelo,"Shakespeare", Rembrandt, Newton, Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, Einstein, Charlie Parker etc. are recognised as "geniuses", although their actual IQs are unrecorded, unknown and probably unknowable...

They are deemed geniuses because of their singular, original and enduring contributions to human culture in Philosophy, Art, Music, Science, etc.

Genius can also be in the negative, by implication, according to this feminist...

"Why is there no female Mozart? For the same reason there is no female Jack-the-Ripper..." - Camille Paglia

Was Hitler a "genius"? Probably, given his origins and later achievements, and his ability to mesmerise an entire nation.

"Philosophers are just people who think."

Well, thank God someone does.

Without philosophers, humans would just be talking cockroaches...

King's Crustacean

I'd gone to bed.

Why do you reference I.Q. when attempting to define genius ? High I.Q. does not = genius.

You have slightly misquoted Camille Paglia and so changed the meaning of what she said.

Many 'geniuses' are given the accolade in retrospect. They rise more on modern day reputation than actual genius acts... e.g. Shakey was not thought a genius in his day.

I'm interested in why a sculptor / painter/artist should be called a 'genius'. What is genius about hammering at stone with a chisel ? By that standard ,people who can whittle a whistle are geniuses as are people who can peel an orange in their pocket..... or make a filo model. I wonder how he'd fare with an ipad or camera?

Hitler ? He should have stuck to painting postcards. I can't agree that charisma and false promise makes one a genius otherwise i'd be in awe of the Kardashians or Gemma Collins.

We all think. It's impossible not to think. Most people don't have the luxury of time to sit and ponder unfathomable questions..... but we all think.

Even Joey Essex ....... even your bog standard Fabswingers Forum Poster...

Chelmsford

"Intelligence is natural. Formal education is a social construct.

If I was genuinely curious as to why they thought themselves intelligent, i'd ask them to explain to me how they measure intelligence. "

Tom has scored very highly in the DENSA tests and he found the questions very easy. He is very very intelligent and has a piece of paper to prove it..

North West

"I'd gone to bed.

Why do you reference I.Q. when attempting to define genius ? High I.Q. does not = genius.

You have slightly misquoted Camille Paglia and so changed the meaning of what she said.

Many 'geniuses' are given the accolade in retrospect. They rise more on modern day reputation than actual genius acts... e.g. Shakey was not thought a genius in his day.

I'm interested in why a sculptor / painter/artist should be called a 'genius'. What is genius about hammering at stone with a chisel ? By that standard ,people who can whittle a whistle are geniuses as are people who can peel an orange in their pocket..... or make a filo model. I wonder how he'd fare with an ipad or camera?

Hitler ? He should have stuck to painting postcards. I can't agree that charisma and false promise makes one a genius otherwise i'd be in awe of the Kardashians or Gemma Collins.

We all think. It's impossible not to think. Most people don't have the luxury of time to sit and ponder unfathomable questions..... but we all think.

"

I think, therefore I am. On that bombshell, it's time to start work, inspiring the next generation of geniuses. Genii?! Whatever

Manchester (she/her)

"I'd gone to bed.

I think, therefore I am. On that bombshell, it's time to start work, inspiring the next generation of geniuses. Genii?! Whatever "

Linguistic prescriptivism is tyranny

Manchester (she/her)

"I'd gone to bed.

I think, therefore I am. On that bombshell, it's time to start work, inspiring the next generation of geniuses. Genii?! Whatever

Linguistic prescriptivism is tyranny "

No. Wait.

Linguist use make us do stuff to be tyranny

Because grammar also be tyranny

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

I feel intelligence has nothing to do with qualifications, how one talks or spells or understands that you can’t have too many semi-colons.

Intelligence for me is the ability to learn from an experience and to problem solve.

King's Crustacean

"I feel intelligence has nothing to do with qualifications, how one talks or spells or understands that you can’t have too many semi-colons.

Intelligence for me is the ability to learn from an experience and to problem solve. "

I'd go with problem solving to a very large degree Fiddlydicks.

Intelligence is not how you behave when you know what to do but how you behave when you don't know what to do.

e.g. If someone shows me the way home because they have taken that route for decades = not an indication of intelligence.

If someone finds their way home after waking up in a place they have no prior knowledge of and don't know how the F they got there...... = intelligence at work.

By *igjonny090Man  over a year ago

blackpool, lancaster, Manchester and Loughborough

I believe that there are different forms of intelligence, emotional, academic, real world, etc so there are different ways to measure it

Personally I don’t think I am very intelligent as I know I can always learn new things

» Add a new message to this topic