FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Trans policies?

Trans policies?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iddylad87 OP   Man  over a year ago

kidderminster

What’s everyone’s thoughts on trans being spoke about in school what age is too young

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"What’s everyone’s thoughts on trans being spoke about in school what age is too young"

Why do they need to talk about it in schools? What would they talk about?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"What’s everyone’s thoughts on trans being spoke about in school what age is too young"

I've no thoughts on this kiddylad.

What're yours?

By *ittle Miss TinkerbellWoman  over a year ago

your head

Why would there be a minimum age for people to know people exist?

Maybe that's the job of the parents/guardians/carers ....

By *iddylad87 OP   Man  over a year ago

kidderminster

My thoughts are let kids be kids, they have 65 odd years to find out who they are

School is not the place. It’s confusing enough for adults let alone children. I’d rather see education from an early age on positive gender models straight and gay to start addressing toxic masculinity/femininity.

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

It depends on what age group.

"School is not the place. It’s confusing enough for adults let alone children. I’d rather see education from an early age on positive gender models straight and gay to start addressing toxic masculinity/femininity. "

Yes. Along with what consent means, drilled home over and over and over in as many different ways as is humanly possible.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"School is not the place. It’s confusing enough for adults let alone children. I’d rather see education from an early age on positive gender models straight and gay to start addressing toxic masculinity/femininity.

Yes. Along with what consent means, drilled home over and over and over in as many different ways as is humanly possible."

The consent thing is to be fair.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"What’s everyone’s thoughts on trans being spoke about in school what age is too young

Why do they need to talk about it in schools? What would they talk about? "

Presumably they'll promote an understanding and tolerant viewpoint

By *rder66Man  over a year ago

Tatooine

Until recently, I was a secondary teacher and the whole school system is shite.

Some school are full of racism, sexism and full of misogynistic behavour. There is behavoural issues from students, lack of funding for school and to much pressure on Maths and English subjects.

The expressive arts subjects are the first to go and children are losing the ability to learn how to express themselves.

It's not just about sitting in a class being told about lifestyles and cultures, its also about kids being able to learn about themselve and also questions ideas, lifestyle and cultures, possitive and negative and to do this in a safe enviroment.

If kids can't learn about themselves, there own feeling and emotions and have these challenged in a safe space then they can't truely understand other people, from an emotional perspective.

"School is not the place. It’s confusing enough for adults let alone children. I’d rather see education from an early age on positive gender models straight and gay to start addressing toxic masculinity/femininity. "

I think you've pretty much nailed it with your comment!

X

By *cottish guy 555Man  over a year ago

London

Reception is now a gender neutral environment

My daughter is 9. She has a friend at school (also 9) who identifies as a boy. He was getting bullied relentlessly at school, every single day until her class was sat down and learned a little about it. Now the kids understand it a bit more than they used to, he can go to school like every other child. It just depends on the how much is taught and at what age. I think kids should have a basic understanding of gender and different sexualities by a certain age and of course as mentioned above consent.

For me if they're old enough to ask the question they're old enough to get an (age appropriate) answer.

By *ickshawedCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I discussed the subject with my eldest pair after we saw a rainbow flag outside the fire station. They had no problem understanding the idea aged 7 and 10. They know that mummy has a girl cousin who was born a boy and a boy cousin who was born a girl. I have no issues with them discussing this at school.

By *adameGreyTV/TS  over a year ago

Renfrew

"I discussed the subject with my eldest pair after we saw a rainbow flag outside the fire station. They had no problem understanding the idea aged 7 and 10. They know that mummy has a girl cousin who was born a boy and a boy cousin who was born a girl. I have no issues with them discussing this at school. "

Thank you for sharing xxx

It is talked about in schools constantly , by the students how on earth would you stop that ?

The curriculum changes to evolve with changing times , as society begins to accept all genders what would be the point if schools trying to ignore that. Open honest discussions about gender and sexuality are never harmful

Yes in an ideal world parents would teach their own children about everything but they don't so schools do it.

By *ohn KanakaMan  over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"I discussed the subject with my eldest pair after we saw a rainbow flag outside the fire station. They had no problem understanding the idea aged 7 and 10. They know that mummy has a girl cousin who was born a boy and a boy cousin who was born a girl. I have no issues with them discussing this at school. "

And it really is as simple as that.

I'm still lost as to how or why this causes so much stress and anger

By *ate_BMan  over a year ago

London

I get why some would like schools to address the issue as some parents pass too much of their hate/ignorance onto their children. Fingers crossed by the time the kids leave school and cross into the workplace, they’ll have an open mind.

By *amantha ABCTV/TS  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

This subject gets more and more boring teach kids this teach kids that"why can't the first rule let kids be kids.They have the rest of their lives too discover who they are and what they want to be.parents should parent and teachers in my opinion should listen to what parents want instead of dismissing them as phobic rude people

Children need to be taught what responsibility really is, consequences of their actions to people and the environment, respect and discipline, respect everyone for the choices they have made and this should be in early years too, no means no, everyone matters and you have a responsibility to do your best for you and the people around you, tea bag before milk, that kind of stuff should be in the curriculum to stop them becoming monsters

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Let them go there for what they are there for!

Learning maths English etc..

There's more than enough information freely available just about everywhere for them to fully understand.

If they ask the. Yes tell them but it's down to parents to parent their children.

Life's tough and confusing let them run around play chase and hopscotch just enjoy being carefree just for few years longer before the complexities of life is thrust upon them.

Wolverhampton

"Children need to be taught what responsibility really is, consequences of their actions to people and the environment, respect and discipline, respect everyone for the choices they have made and this should be in early years too, no means no, everyone matters and you have a responsibility to do your best for you and the people around you, tea bag before milk, that kind of stuff should be in the curriculum to stop them becoming monsters "

Wolverhampton

Teach children about consequences what planet are from 5or6year olds don't even no how they came about but we need to teach them about consequences

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think that school should be a place where acceptance of people's differences is normalised. I don't think there's any need for specifics at a very young age

By *aimeDWoman  over a year ago

Shaftesbury, Dorset

No age is too young to start talking about it . The problem as I see it is to ensure that the content/context of those early conversations are age appropriate.

Like it or not , children are going to be exposed to the fact that trans people exist in the world from a younger age and I don’t think it will do anyone any good to act like it not a thing but there’s obviously a danger of giving too much info too soon so it’s a fine line

In my mind it’s the same as having conversations about people with differing physical abilities. Children aren’t stupid, they observe these things and become curious about other people, it’s only natural they’d become curious about someone that might not immediately or outwardly fit into either of the rigidly defined blur or pink boxes. Don’t avoid that curiosity, embrace it but always, always make it age appropriate.

The one caveat that I’d mention is that I’m particularly conciliatory of the risk of creating more confusion by children having a multitude of options suddenly available to them and I might get some stick from fellow lgbt folk but it in having these conversations it should be emphasised that there’s nothing wrong in being happy with who they are as they are and that statistically most people are happy they way they are.

I’m kind of in a stream of consciousness now and probably rambling so I’ll leave it there. I know there will be plenty who will disagree with me and that’s perfectly fine, it’s just my two cents worth in response to OP

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Without going into too much detail, our experience is that very young children can be/are tolerant. I think it comes from a really inclusive and tolerant bunch of parents, as well as a nurturing and supportive school environment. Whatever they do at the school, we are wholly supportive of. There are very young children and parents/grandparents who span the disability, trans, gay/lesbian spectra, yet everyone appears to co-exist peacefully and cohesively.

» Add a new message to this topic