FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do we drink too much

Do we drink too much

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    38 weeks ago

Ok final thread:

It’s the drinking culture in this country something to worry about?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site) 38 weeks ago

No.

Pass me the wine.

Considering we use any and every event as an excuse for a piss up, probably.

"No.

Pass me the wine. "

It’s corked

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple 38 weeks ago

Leeds

I drink too much mocha.

Mrs

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan 38 weeks ago

Den of Iniquity

"No.

Pass me the wine. "

What she ^ said haha

By *eneralKenobiMan 38 weeks ago

North Angus

Yes although I’m cutting back this week

"Considering we use any and every event as an excuse for a piss up, probably. "

I didn’t realise Day drinking was weird until I spoke to people from other countries about drinking

By *aitonelMan 38 weeks ago

Liverpool

For some.

I have an alcoholic father.

I know people that have not gone a weekend without going out or drinking lots at home since the age of fuck knows when

I don't drink at all, and I'm not the only one.

So depends. Most, majority of people don't drink too much but they drink often. There is a bigger emphasis on you MUST drink though.

What worries me is the price lol

Yes. Am I going to do anything about it? Absolutely not.

"Yes although I’m cutting back this week"

Big love to you.

I’ve cut right down. I also went 3 years without drinking after a rough experience. I now don’t drink unless it’s special occasion

"For some.

I have an alcoholic father.

I know people that have not gone a weekend without going out or drinking lots at home since the age of fuck knows when

I don't drink at all, and I'm not the only one.

So depends. Most, majority of people don't drink too much but they drink often. There is a bigger emphasis on you MUST drink though. "

I think generally we have a culture on drinking but of course agree Lots of people don’t drink at all

"Considering we use any and every event as an excuse for a piss up, probably.

I didn’t realise Day drinking was weird until I spoke to people from other countries about drinking "

I went to a kids birthday party a while ago and one of my aunties asked if I wanted a shot, A SHOT?! We’re at a kids party ffs

By *eneralKenobiMan 38 weeks ago

North Angus

"Yes although I’m cutting back this week

Big love to you.

I’ve cut right down. I also went 3 years without drinking after a rough experience. I now don’t drink unless it’s special occasion"

I’ve currently nothing better to do so for me it’s finding that something that can occupy my time and distract me from grabbing beers every night

By *phrodite_AdonisCouple 38 weeks ago

~~

We’ve really cut down. Well, I’ve cut down and so Roger has followed suit.

We still have the odd boozy event but don’t really drink in the week.

Life is better. Definitely feel healthier for it.

The UK does promote drinking at social occasions and it’s quite challenging to be a part of that.

By *lexanderSupertrampMan 38 weeks ago

Gourock

I didn’t realise Day drinking was weird until I spoke to people from other countries about drinking

I went to a kids birthday party a while ago and one of my aunties asked if I wanted a shot, A SHOT?! We’re at a kids party ffs "

Just the one then?

I went to a kids birthday party a while ago and one of my aunties asked if I wanted a shot, A SHOT?! We’re at a kids party ffs "

An advert for Fife right there

"Yes although I’m cutting back this week

Big love to you.

I’ve cut right down. I also went 3 years without drinking after a rough experience. I now don’t drink unless it’s special occasion

I’ve currently nothing better to do so for me it’s finding that something that can occupy my time and distract me from grabbing beers every night"

yeah that’s the tricky bit I agree

"We’ve really cut down. Well, I’ve cut down and so Roger has followed suit.

We still have the odd boozy event but don’t really drink in the week.

Life is better. Definitely feel healthier for it.

The UK does promote drinking at social occasions and it’s quite challenging to be a part of that. "

I feel like we go to the pub all the time and there’s alcohol at every social event. People get upset if there’s no alcohol at staff parties lmao

By *ontWannaMissASwingCouple 38 weeks ago

Bristol

It was noticeable when we went to Italy recently how few pubs there were. It was more wine bars/ cocktail bars. The few pubs we found were mostly Irish themed pubs.

By *aucasian GhandiMan 38 weeks ago

from my dad's left nut (Warwick)

No we don't drink too much, whys there 3 of you Pickles *hiccup

I went to a kids birthday party a while ago and one of my aunties asked if I wanted a shot, A SHOT?! We’re at a kids party ffs

Just the one then? "

2 but that’s beside the point

Liverpool

To be fair. As an adult at a kids party, alcohol seems like it would be needed to survive the thing with your sanity in tact!

By *dward_TeagueMan 38 weeks ago

wolverhampton

It’s what we do in this country and have done for centuries. And of course the government loves the tax income from alcohol sales.

By *ealitybitesMan 38 weeks ago

Belfast

I've never understood the drinking culture.

I haven't tasted a single drop of alcohol in my life by choice.

There is no history of alcoholism in my family so my decision not to drink isn't based on bad experiences and other family members do drink.

Every one of my friends were drinkers but I've never been one to give in to peer pressure.

I have never understood the culture of preplanned weekends of getting pissed and Monday morning claims of amazing weekends when in my eyes they are suffering hangovers and have been ill and aren't fully fit for work.

To be fair. As an adult at a kids party, alcohol seems like it would be needed to survive the thing with your sanity in tact! "

This is very true!

By *icecouple561Couple 38 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 29/08/23 09:25:38]

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't worry about it but I know a lot of people who drink nothing but beer when they aren't at work. In our previous house both neighbours were alcoholics in this house just the one neighbour.

Among our kids circle drinking way more than I think is sensible, necessary or normal is accepted without question and still vomiting all the following day seems to be considered a hang over rather than alcohol poisoning.

Is life so bad for so many that it needs the edge taken off regularly?

Mrs Nice, I think that when I first stopped drinking for the 3 and a bit years was from my final year of uni until last year and I think I said to Lots of my friends, especially at uni and amongst young people it’s so normalised to have alcohol problems and bad relationships with it. Essentially being alcoholics/ binge drinkers. It’s masked by ‘You’re only young once’ ‘this is the best time of our lives’ kind of attitudes and also the idea that being out of control and acting out of character is actually humorous.

I think we normales alcohol consumption in young people a lot and it’s scary

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan 38 weeks ago

Glasgow

Do the British (and Irish) drink to excess? Yes, obviously. But it’s maybe not in the way we usually think.

The amount of alcohol we drink is actually around the European average. But we binge drink way more than our neighbouring nations. So we get more d*unk, more often. (Whereas the rest of Europe tends to drink a little booze daily. Moderation is good, y’all.)

By *esthetic21Man 38 weeks ago

west midlands

I don't drink never have really. I got very pissed when i was about 9 at a Christmas party stole a bottle of babycham and it put me off drinking for life. Probably a good thing

By *reeSpiritElleWoman 38 weeks ago

Near the Beach

With both parents being alcoholics, my brothers and I grew up in a toxic and often violent household. Naturally, we experimented with alcohol when we were young, but now all in our 50s none of us drink, except the odd glass at a celebration. The sad part is (according to other relatives) our parents, now both in their 70s, continue to drink heavily, projecting their toxic, negative behaviour on others. Thankfully my brothers and I had the good sense to walk away from them years ago.

If its a sustainable life choice then no. If people are using it as a way to suppress their emotions, then yes. Having a good time and being alcohol dependent are two different things.

By *ora the explorerWoman 38 weeks ago

Paradise, Herts

"Do the British (and Irish) drink to excess? Yes, obviously. But it’s maybe not in the way we usually think.

The amount of alcohol we drink is actually around the European average. But we binge drink way more than our neighbouring nations. So we get more d*unk, more often. (Whereas the rest of Europe tends to drink a little booze daily. Moderation is good, y’all.)"

I agree with this. We’re all different. I don’t drink much at all but if I go out I drink quite a bit. It might be once a week and then not for a couple of months. I rarely drink at home unless people have come over for dinner etc.

"Mrs Nice, I think that when I first stopped drinking for the 3 and a bit years was from my final year of uni until last year and I think I said to Lots of my friends, especially at uni and amongst young people it’s so normalised to have alcohol problems and bad relationships with it. Essentially being alcoholics/ binge drinkers. It’s masked by ‘You’re only young once’ ‘this is the best time of our lives’ kind of attitudes and also the idea that being out of control and acting out of character is actually humorous.

I think we normales alcohol consumption in young people a lot and it’s scary"

Coming home from lectures and drinking with your mates. Going out like 4/5 times a week to the Union or to clubs. Having piss ups in the summer when exams are over. Going to drinks after work. Getting pissed watching the football. Having a bottle of wine with dinner every night. Going drinking at the pub with family during the day. It’s all a lot

By *eautifully-TwistedWoman 38 weeks ago

Telford

I myself am not a drinker.

I never just drink at home only if I'm out and it's a pretty rare occurrence.

I know a lot of people that drink to relax I guess it's used as a crutch.

I smoke they drink we all have vices. I think if you're not getting mangled every day or weekend then it's fine.

By *asycouple1971Couple 38 weeks ago

midlands

I dont drink much now. Cant afford it and dont see any benefit in drinking.

Picked up a 3lt bottle of cheap strong cider yesterday but put it back 5min later.

Got alot of spirits in the house, just dont drink it.

By *inkedKuntsCouple 38 weeks ago

Sheffield

Whether we like it or not by all scales alcohol is a Class A drug, not just any class a drug, one of the worst available. Kills more than crack, as addictive as heroin and rips and pulls apart more lives than pretty much all other drugs put together, just because it's legal we ignore that.

Will I stop drinking it? Will I fuck!

By *ovetolick78Man 38 weeks ago

The Shire

I hadn't d*unk for months untill this weekend, popped out to catch with some friends and couldn't believe how expensive it's got (and I don't live in a big city) luckily having not d*unk for months I was out of practice and not used to alcohol so it was still a cheepish night.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Mrs Nice, I think that when I first stopped drinking for the 3 and a bit years was from my final year of uni until last year and I think I said to Lots of my friends, especially at uni and amongst young people it’s so normalised to have alcohol problems and bad relationships with it. Essentially being alcoholics/ binge drinkers. It’s masked by ‘You’re only young once’ ‘this is the best time of our lives’ kind of attitudes and also the idea that being out of control and acting out of character is actually humorous.

I think we normales alcohol consumption in young people a lot and it’s scary

Coming home from lectures and drinking with your mates. Going out like 4/5 times a week to the Union or to clubs. Having piss ups in the summer when exams are over. Going to drinks after work. Getting pissed watching the football. Having a bottle of wine with dinner every night. Going drinking at the pub with family during the day. It’s all a lot "

Yes. Often the goal is to get d*unk rather than enjoy the drink and that's the norm for lots of people.

Our neighbour gets d*unk most afternoons. One of our previous neighbours would shout "glass of wine darling?" as I walked in her house at 10:30 am. The people the other side were dreadful and even featured in local news media after being arrested at a foreign airport for being d*unk and assaulting security officers.

By *hagTonightMan 38 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

[Removed by poster at 29/08/23 10:00:16]

By *hagTonightMan 38 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

No. I dont drink it as it have too many calories

By *2000ManMan 38 weeks ago

Worthing

A mates girlfriend from another country said one thing about uk women...they drink too much.

By *icolerobbieCouple 38 weeks ago

walsall

For some it’s a problem. Just like anything else.

For the vast majority who drink moderately, no it’s no problem at all, except that they are punished with taxes because some people can’t control their drinking habits.

Not for me. I rarely drink and don’t know many people who are heavy drinkers.

By *ittlebirdWoman 38 weeks ago

The Big Smoke

I don’t like to comment on anyone else’s habits OP so wouldn’t ever generalise.

At the end of the day it’s up to them

By *heelerMan 38 weeks ago

Northants

"What worries me is the price lol"

I agree with you there.

By *inky_couple2020Couple 38 weeks ago

North West

"Considering we use any and every event as an excuse for a piss up, probably. "

Agree. I think alcohol use is too prevalent in this country and the medical sorts agree.

By *ecadent_DevonMan 38 weeks ago

Okehampton

I don’t think the British drink too much, I think we are prone to “binging” which is obviously unhealthy and causes social issues. Most Europeans will have a glass or two most days (with a meal etc.) whereas people in the UK have always saved up their sins for the weekend. If you averaged out the units across the week, how different would we be to our European cousins?

Yes we do.

By *imi_RougeWoman 38 weeks ago

Portsmouth

Yes, far too much importance is placed on pubs, being able to have a drink at every event, prices of alcohol. It's the only acceptable drug really isn't it?

By *iscean_dreamMan 38 weeks ago

Port talbot

At the weekend I did but first time drinking for months so I tend to catch up in one night

By *edeWoman 38 weeks ago

the abyss

I work in substance misuse - so I see what it does and how many people are affected.

I also love a glass of wine curled up on the sofa or several G&T's on a night out.

I think it is a lot more about education and understanding the risks excessive use can do and how hard it is to stop. Along with education about being understanding if people chose not to drink - the peer pressure they face can be ridiculous

By *ndycoinsMan 38 weeks ago

Buxton

Not enough when you read some thread content.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman 38 weeks ago

In a Sparkly Dress

No it's the other highs that worry me, drug induced psychosis is rife among the youngsters

I've grown up with alcoholics and seen a lot of casual day drinking in my family. So yes, I think there's a huge problem. I don't like how it's so encouraged and pushed in your face day to day, and I hate the mindset of if you don't have a drink you're a bit of a bore. How much would we really have in common with people we go out to drink with if there was no alcohol involved, especially when we are very young and only go out to get hammered and have a good time? I feel like I've seen so many friendships rely on getting pissed together on a night out and I think that's pretty sad. I'm not sure what the solution is. But there's definitely a problem that needs work.

By *oeBeansMan 38 weeks ago

Derby

I think so. People are so scared of being themselves without a drink that it causes a negative perception of those who don't drink where they're seen as stuffy and boring.

It's so ingrained in the culture though that nothing is going to change

By *lueDressWoman 38 weeks ago

Bath

Ive never really liked alcohol and haven't bothered with it for over 12 years.

By *reeSpiritElleWoman 38 weeks ago

Near the Beach

"I've grown up with alcoholics and seen a lot of casual day drinking in my family. So yes, I think there's a huge problem. I don't like how it's so encouraged and pushed in your face day to day, and I hate the mindset of if you don't have a drink you're a bit of a bore. How much would we really have in common with people we go out to drink with if there was no alcohol involved, especially when we are very young and only go out to get hammered and have a good time? I feel like I've seen so many friendships rely on getting pissed together on a night out and I think that's pretty sad. I'm not sure what the solution is. But there's definitely a problem that needs work."

"

It's so ingrained in the culture though that nothing is going to change"

I think it is already changing. The youngsters don't drink like we did at 18. Pubs are closing left right and center and we assume it's because of the price (which is part of it for sure) but also its the generation coming through not carrying on the tradition.

Derby

"

I think it is already changing. The youngsters don't drink like we did at 18. Pubs are closing left right and center and we assume it's because of the price (which is part of it for sure) but also its the generation coming through not carrying on the tradition.

"

I think it's changed slightly from pubs to bars and clubs but I reckon the drinking culture is still there

By *uckslut and MCouple 38 weeks ago

Poole

Mrs t total. Well I would if I drank tea. I only drink soft drinks.

Mr, as he's got older finds he's really cut back natrally. Drinks very little on occasion. Will drink the 00 guiness at home, once a month maybe.

Derby

"Mrs t total. Well I would if I drank tea. I only drink soft drinks.

Mr, as he's got older finds he's really cut back natrally. Drinks very little on occasion. Will drink the 00 guiness at home, once a month maybe. "

I've always wondered how the 0% Guinness is. I don't drink so haven't tried the original one but don't want to buy it in case I don't like it

By *rimson_RoseWoman 38 weeks ago

Lea Marston

I don’t drink a lot and usually happy to drive. It often surprises people and they seem more worried about it than I am - so maybe?

By *irty_DeedsMan 38 weeks ago

Teesside

"

"

That's price rather than culture. Most of people I know under 25 would rather pre drink for hours at home with friends then go to a club after 10pm.

Where's in my younger days we'd start about 4pm, have a few pre drinks, then be in the pub for 6, followed by clubs at booting out time.

The 4am opening hours and smoking ban changed pubs and clubs more than anything else.

"

That's price rather than culture. Most of people I know under 25 would rather pre drink for hours at home with friends then go to a club after "

I think is becoming more standard with the new 18s than alcohol is

Liverpool

When people are shocked after I tell them I don't drink, and never have, other than the odd taste here and there through the years, peer pressure ya know. Genuinely shocked and almost concerned that tells me all I need to know about how ingrained and deep the British culture of alcohol is for my generation and what came before.

I know people that still live for their glory days of being out and totally wasted.

Belfast

"When people are shocked after I tell them I don't drink, and never have, other than the odd taste here and there through the years, peer pressure ya know. Genuinely shocked and almost concerned that tells me all I need to know about how ingrained and deep the British culture of alcohol is for my generation and what came before.

I know people that still live for their glory days of being out and totally wasted. "

I've been told as a teenager that I wasn't a real man if I didn't drink. My response was that it took a bigger man not to.

I've been told by a woman in Florida and an Englishman on a training course that I was a pretend Irishman because I didn't drink. Neither were joking and were actually annoyed with me.

"No it's the other highs that worry me, drug induced psychosis is rife among the youngsters "
I’m just as worried about my little brother getting d*unk as I am about him smoking. I think I wish when I was younger someone really looked out for me and told new about the dangers of drinking. I’ve gone out drinking and ended up in hospital and that shit is legal! And nobody stops you! I think the scariest thing about drinking culture for me is that people never grow out of it. In work it’s exactly the same. Scarily normalised.

I do agree though other highs are dangerous and rife amongst young people. I just don’t think they’re less dangerous than underage or binge drinking.

"No it's the other highs that worry me, drug induced psychosis is rife among the youngsters I’m just as worried about my little brother getting d*unk as I am about him smoking. I think I wish when I was younger someone really looked out for me and told new about the dangers of drinking. I’ve gone out drinking and ended up in hospital and that shit is legal! And nobody stops you! I think the scariest thing about drinking culture for me is that people never grow out of it. In work it’s exactly the same. Scarily normalised.

I do agree though other highs are dangerous and rife amongst young people. I just don’t think they’re less dangerous than underage or binge drinking. "

More dangerous *

By *obilebottomMan 38 weeks ago

All over

All im moderation. Having a drink, especially with a nice long meal and great conversation, is all good.The odd celebration or indulgence probably ok too as long as you stay safe. Downing a dozen pints in a couple of hours and thinking you are clever, be sick or lose your senses on a regular basis, it isn't at all.

By *scobar67Man 38 weeks ago

glasgow

Depends what you think Is too much

Teesside

Like many, I love a drink at the weekend. I work hard all week, I go the gym 6 days a week. Having a bit of a blowout on my day off isn't a big deal to me.

Yes I've likely drank too much on occasion but a life without a little excess can be dull as fuck in my eyes.

By *ig_eric_tionMan 38 weeks ago

IPSWICH

We probably do alot of things too much such as over use of technology, phones, tablets etc However if you're having a few drinks you do tend be in a social environment which is actually beneficial.

By *WINGStars23Couple 38 weeks ago

Chorley, & East Lanc's

Anyone fancy a pint?

By *hilloutMan 38 weeks ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

Yes. Absolutely. Especially binge drinking. Helps explain in part the levels of obesity and poor health rampant in the UK.

I lived and worked in England, Scotland and Wales, having seen little difference between them in this respect.

By *ent in BlackMan 38 weeks ago

Silsden

"Ok final thread:

It’s the drinking culture in this country something to worry about?"

Yes, this is my philosophy (not that it means anything )

Before main stream supermarkets sold cut price alcohol it was only really available from pubs and off licence.

These shops had closing times and the prices weren’t much different, so drinking at home didn’t save you much.

This meant people generally drank in the pub (in my experience) more than they drank at home.

Now however you can go to a shop and get a bottle of vodka for around £18 and a couple of bottles of and have a mega cheap, but excessive night.

If supermarkets couldn’t sell alcohol, I think we’d see quite a shift in drinking patterns.

By *ad NannaWoman 38 weeks ago

East London

How do we measure that?

Are we going by alcohol sold in supermarkets and pubs, or by how many people get alcohol-related liver disease, or brain disease?

East London

Do we drink more than Europeans who drink wine with meals and have home made aperitifs?

What about Russians who are known for their vodka imbibing?

" alcohol-related liver disease, or brain disease?

"

This and heart disease would be my gauge.

"Ok final thread:

Yes definitely, and if you don’t believe me, the biggest litmus test, just go sober for a while, maybe a month, 3 months etc.

1. See how long you can actually do it, for most of us social drinkers there probably wouldn’t be a craving for it, but for some you might find that you depend on it more than you thought

2. Take note of how it affects your social life, and even comments and attitudes towards you. Drinking is part of most social activities these days so if you decide not to drink some people take that as you deciding not to be social, and they’re two different things entirely. This is where you stop getting invites to things cause people think that because you’re not drinking you’ll be boring, or you just won’t enjoy being around everyone else that is drinking.

Honestly try it, I’d love to hear from anyone else who’s gone sober for a bit and how it affected their social lives

In the job I do, whilst working I'm allowed less than half the legal drink driving limit, so, when I'm off I binge, but not all the time

Belfast

"Ok final thread:

Yes definitely, and if you don’t believe me, the biggest litmus test, just go sober for a while, maybe a month, 3 months etc.

1. See how long you can actually do it, for most of us social drinkers there probably wouldn’t be a craving for it, but for some you might find that you depend on it more than you thought

2. Take note of how it affects your social life, and even comments and attitudes towards you. Drinking is part of most social activities these days so if you decide not to drink some people take that as you deciding not to be social, and they’re two different things entirely. This is where you stop getting invites to things cause people think that because you’re not drinking you’ll be boring, or you just won’t enjoy being around everyone else that is drinking.

Honestly try it, I’d love to hear from anyone else who’s gone sober for a bit and how it affected their social lives "

You can hear from me.

As I said above I've been teetotal all my life.

That has had zero effect on my social life.

The negative comments I've received over the years were not from people I was socialising with.

All my friends and work colleagues had no issue with me not drinking and on most occasions they wouldn't allow me contribute to the kitty and they always bought my drinks.

It's years since I was allowed buy a round.

If being sober is affecting your social life maybe its time you looked at who you are socialising with rather than what's in your glass.

Op do you drink?

I have a job that means long hours and days working and driving. No drinking for me.

Of course the tax man loves us buying all the booze.

I have seen first hand alcohol related dementia. I have seen it cause other illnesses. Am I in favour of it. N0. Knowing what I know.

By *etalThrashingmadMan 38 weeks ago

Nottingham

It's not a problem it's a solution

By *eardedman7Man 38 weeks ago

Berkshire

Yes!

Pint?

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 38 weeks ago

Cumbria

"Ok final thread:

Older generations definitely drink too much but the youngsters seem a lot more sensible about it.

If everyone stopped drinking and smoking then we’d soon all be able to get appointments at our GP and the hospital again, that’s for sure.

" You can hear from me.

As I said above I've been teetotal all my life.

That has had zero effect on my social life.

The negative comments I've received over the years were not from people I was socialising with.

All my friends and work colleagues had no issue with me not drinking and on most occasions they wouldn't allow me contribute to the kitty and they always bought my drinks.

It's years since I was allowed buy a round.

If being sober is affecting your social life maybe its time you looked at who you are socialising with rather than what's in your glass. "

I’m glad you shared, even in your earlier those comments about you being a pretend Irishman etc, is just a reflection on how you can be viewed for not drinking and that’s because of the drinking culture that we have. But yes you’re definitely right about the right type of friends still socialising and making sure you have a good time if you go sober. My point was more about people that were previously drinkers deciding to go sober, rather than those who have been sober all their lives. There is an adjustment period where the things I talked about in my original post usually happen and after that, the right friendship groups learn how to socialise with you as a non-drinker. But that adjustment period definitely opens your eyes to just how deep rooted the drinking culture is.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 38 weeks ago

Hastings

Probably not but drinking habits have changed from the pub to drinking at home don't know if we drink more per head

By *each_PittWoman 38 weeks ago

Belfast

I dont drink alcohol but I drink .

Fat and yes I definitely drink way to much of it

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 38 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

I’ve never been part of a drinking culture, spending shit loads on alcohol only to throw it all back up again has never been my thing.

I do however enjoy an ice cold Guinness with my dinner most nights.

On a yearly basis that means I probably drink more than a lot of people do but I think it’s the way we consume that has the most impact on health and how it changes our behaviour into something that isn’t really acceptable that is the problem.

Teesside

"I’ve never been part of a drinking culture, spending shit loads on alcohol only to throw it all back up again has never been my thing.

I do however enjoy an ice cold Guinness with my dinner most nights.

On a yearly basis that means I probably drink more than a lot of people do but I think it’s the way we consume that has the most impact on health and how it changes our behaviour into something that isn’t really acceptable that is the problem. "

I see a few mentioning throwing up, I think if I was being sick everything I drank id stop for good.

I haven't been sick through drinking since I was about 15. No matter how much I've put away.

East London

"Ok final thread:

Older generations definitely drink too much but the youngsters seem a lot more sensible about it.

If everyone stopped drinking and smoking then we’d soon all be able to get appointments at our GP and the hospital again, that’s for sure."

Doubt it.

I don't smoke and rarely drink but I've had more than my fair share of hospital and GP appointments, as well as operations.

Cumbria

"Ok final thread:

If everyone stopped drinking and smoking then we’d soon all be able to get appointments at our GP and the hospital again, that’s for sure.

Doubt it.

I don't smoke and rarely drink but I've had more than my fair share of hospital and GP appointments, as well as operations.

"

There are a million hospital admissions each year (in England) where the primary reason or secondary diagnosis are linked to alcohol. That’s nearly 6% of total admissions.

In addition there are over half a million smoking related admissions every year (in England).

Drinking and smoking are enormous drains on the NHS.

By *aucasian GhandiMan 38 weeks ago

from my dad's left nut (Warwick)

Alcohol is the only drug I've asked been asked, why I don't use! I've never been asked why I don't inject heroin.

Which kind of puts Alcohol into perspective of just how socially accepted and normal it is..

"

Drinking and smoking are enormous drains on the NHS."

Add in diabetes which has the largest drain on the NHS. Clearly not only alcoholic related. But both alcohol and smoking contribute heavily towards this

Cumbria

"

Drinking and smoking are enormous drains on the NHS.

Add in diabetes which has the largest drain on the NHS. Clearly not only alcoholic related. But both alcohol and smoking contribute heavily towards this "

And drinking and smoking when diabetic…

By *ycanNightsMan 38 weeks ago

Workington

I don't actually drink that much.

But I do enjoy a few cocktails when I go out

North West

"I think so. People are so scared of being themselves without a drink that it causes a negative perception of those who don't drink where they're seen as stuffy and boring.

It's so ingrained in the culture though that nothing is going to change"

Agreed.

North West

"Ok final thread:

Honestly try it, I’d love to hear from anyone else who’s gone sober for a bit and how it affected their social lives "

I don't drink, mainly because I drive myself everywhere but also I hate the feeling of being d*unk. It hasn't affected my social life at all and I can brush off any snide comments from friends of friends or people who don't know me well. My regular friend and colleagues know I don't drink.

Mine's a G&T please - the sun is over the yardarm after all (well it would be if it was not obscured by the cloud)

By *esthetic21Man 38 weeks ago

west midlands

"Whether we like it or not by all scales alcohol is a Class A drug, not just any class a drug, one of the worst available. Kills more than crack, as addictive as heroin and rips and pulls apart more lives than pretty much all other drugs put together, just because it's legal we ignore that.

Will I stop drinking it? Will I fuck! "

dont forget all the deaths it causes on the roads too

By *tylebender03Man 38 weeks ago

Manchester

Yeah absolutely. I’ve recently packed in drinking all together as I don’t need it. I was always a social drinker though, don’t drink in the house ever

By *ongWayAroundMan 38 weeks ago

Boston

If you can remember your last drink, you have a few to go yet.

By *berdeenMonthlySocialCouple 38 weeks ago

Aberdeen

[Removed by poster at 29/08/23 19:30:44]

By *BootyfulDayWoman 38 weeks ago

I think so….I do still enjoy a drink though especially at events it does help me relax a bit!

But I’ve gone sober before, first time was a few years ago for a few months and it was so weird having to justify it. I was doing a challenge and although there was a lot of other aspects to the challenge, people did judge the no drinking. I was working in a bar back then and having regulars judging me for not drinking was weird!

I did no drinking in the past couple years and I would say it was a lot easier. I think having more non alcoholic options does help a little with going to bars. Reactions as well as a little more accepting too; being a girl most previously would assume it was due to pregnancy or driving like they are the only reasons you can drink haha And even the people I was working with would be more encouraging, if we were at a club they were making sure mines was a soft drink and if we did a round of shots I could still join in with a pineapple juice shot or something

One of my siblings is now a year sober and I’m proud of her! I will still enjoy a drink and let myself enjoy it but I’m trying to not rely on alcohol so much….plus it’s expensive so saving my pennies is better

By *hroatQueen_CATV/TS 38 weeks ago

Carlisle

Rarely drink! I have a little at Christmas but in general i don't drink. I'm fun enough without it but each to their own!

By *alandNitaCouple 38 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"Ok final thread:

I think that as a whole this country does drink too much.

Many couples seem to consider sharing a bottle of wine every night as normal. I don't see daily drinking as normal or healthy behaviour, any more than binge drinking.

Neither of us are big drinkers and have never needed alcohol or any other stimulant to enjoy life.

Nita

Derby

I also love that the first thing people ask when they find out I don't drink is "is that for religious reasons or...?"

That leap just mesmerizes me

North West

"I also love that the first thing people ask when they find out I don't drink is "is that for religious reasons or...?"

That leap just mesmerizes me "

Intriguingly, no-one asks us that.....

#methodists

By *ealMissShadyWoman 38 weeks ago

St Albans/ Welsh Borders

"Ok final thread:

I think it's the attitudes towards alchohol for me....'it's legal' 'oh go on, just have one' 'one more' 'how can you go out and not drink'

And because it's socially acceptable I believe it's as dangerous as any narcotic....

Watching someone die from the effects of alcohol is heartbreaking, it's not a peaceful death and living with someone who is dependant is also damaging...

I don't drink, who needs it to have a good time. I love having my memories from a great night out

By *ent in BlackMan 38 weeks ago

Silsden

"In the job I do, whilst working I'm allowed less than half the legal drink driving limit, so, when I'm off I binge, but not all the time "

You drink at work????

My employer has a zero tolerance policy.

By *mf123Man 38 weeks ago

the space between spaces

I dont drink alcohol unless you mean general drinking id say its kind of important

The most overrated thing on the planet....alcohol!

By *semeforfunMan 38 weeks ago

Bourne lincs

Need to being on fabswingers and fabguys so many people just looked at pics and talk about it on here

By *odgerMooreMan 38 weeks ago

Carlisle

I have lots if friends from other countries and when i visit we may have a bottle of wine with food but we don’t sit and get hammered - a young guy at work said in this country the objective seems to be to get pissed not enjoy time socially with the objective being to catch up with friends - not see who can drink the most. I think maybe attitudes are changing now …

By *ndycoinsMan 38 weeks ago

Buxton

Some people don't drink because it would interfere with their misery.

By *hromosexualsCouple 38 weeks ago

Near Abercynon

As a country I think we probably do drink too much, we certainly seem to be the binge drinkers.

Personally, I have issues with portion control with alcohol. I'm not an alcoholic and I'm not always d*unk... but I enjoy drinking and drink too much.

Mr

I don't drink but I find rhe drinking culture in this country so strange

By *hawn ScottMan 38 weeks ago

london Brixton

British does seem to have a binge drinking culture. But then I've seen Eastern Europeans put us to shame.

Personally I love a few beers or few glasses of wine and would find it hard to stop.

Trouble is I can't drink too much or I get an idea for powder (I'm CA)

The youth of today don't seem to be interested. At 14 we were getting booze to hang around the park. Don't see it much now

By *ostindreamsMan 38 weeks ago

London

I don't drink. But when I was in India, I saw the culture change from "some of my colleagues drink" to "one or two of my colleagues don't drink". Then I moved to UK and it's so rare to meet someone who doesn't drink.

Of course, it's their rights. I just personally find it sad.

By *orphia2003Woman 38 weeks ago

Tonypandy.

I know I drink more than I should, and often drink out of boredom or loneliness, which I know is stupid as alcohol is a depressant.

But I like craft beer, and it's my life, and I'm not hurting anyone but myself.

My parents were both alcoholics and my dad died at 52 and my mum at 67 after many years of illness because of it.

The culture concerns me a lot

North West

"British does seem to have a binge drinking culture. But then I've seen Eastern Europeans put us to shame.

Personally I love a few beers or few glasses of wine and would find it hard to stop.

Trouble is I can't drink too much or I get an idea for powder (I'm CA)

The youth of today don't seem to be interested. At 14 we were getting booze to hang around the park. Don't see it much now"

Lots of Eastern European cultures have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol too. It's not just the UK with a monopoly on that.

We are not even in the top 10 countries for alcohol consumption. Heres the list.

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Alcohol Consumption in 2019 (in liters of pure alcohol per capita):

Czechia - 14.26

Latvia - 13.19

Moldova - 12.85

Germany - 12.79

Lithuania - 12.78

Ireland - 12.75

Spain - 12.67

Uganda - 12.48

Bulgaria - 12.46

Luxembourg - 12.45

By *ackformore100Man 38 weeks ago

Tin town

"We are not even in the top 10 countries for alcohol consumption. Heres the list.

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Alcohol Consumption in 2019 (in liters of pure alcohol per capita):

Czechia - 14.26

Latvia - 13.19

Moldova - 12.85

Germany - 12.79

Lithuania - 12.78

Ireland - 12.75

Spain - 12.67

Uganda - 12.48

Bulgaria - 12.46

Luxembourg - 12.45"

Must try harder. See me after class

By *lex46TV/TS 38 weeks ago

Near Wells

I believe a lot of people drink too much and as has been mentioned, heavy drinking is almost normalised.

I go to lots of events, sporting, gigs etc. I go to them because I like them. It seems a lot of people need to be totally pissed to enjoy these events and then miss or forget half of it. I don't need drink to enjoy things I like.

North West

"We are not even in the top 10 countries for alcohol consumption. Heres the list.

Czechia - 14.26

Latvia - 13.19

Moldova - 12.85

Germany - 12.79

Lithuania - 12.78

Ireland - 12.75

Spain - 12.67

Uganda - 12.48

Bulgaria - 12.46

Luxembourg - 12.45"

See above comment about Eastern European alcohol culture. One of the people I've known with THE worst problem with alcohol, was a Czech man. It wasn't/isn't a healthy thing in the slightest.

Czechia - 14.26

Latvia - 13.19

Moldova - 12.85

Germany - 12.79

Lithuania - 12.78

Ireland - 12.75

Spain - 12.67

Uganda - 12.48

Bulgaria - 12.46

Luxembourg - 12.45

Must try harder. See me after class"

Nah am of to the pub..

"Ok final thread:

Not yet, I’m working on it!!!!

Loads of people I know, myself included, have a drink every night, or most nights.

I like a few glasses of wine in an evening when it's time to wind down. I don't go out drinking, don't go out to parties, for meals etc and don't binge drink.

I think a lot of people don't like to admit how often they drink as worry what others think. Personally I don't really care what others think. Life's too short so enjoy it

I know a Polish lady and to her having a few beers isn't even considered drinking, it's the norm. Having a vodka is considered drinking lol.

I also think what people drink can be more of a problem. Larger and beers with chemicals and crap in them are far worse for you than most real ales.

"Loads of people I know, myself included, have a drink every night, or most nights.

I like a few glasses of wine in an evening when it's time to wind down. I don't go out drinking, don't go out to parties, for meals etc and don't binge drink.

I think a lot of people don't like to admit how often they drink as worry what others think. Personally I don't really care what others think. Life's too short so enjoy it

I ….

"

I could easily have a drinking problem or slip into becoming an alcoholic (last year I was probably borderline sadly.

But, I admit I drink. And I can, Because I’m an adult.

"Loads of people I know, myself included, have a drink every night, or most nights.

I ….

I could easily have a drinking problem or slip into becoming an alcoholic (last year I was probably borderline sadly.

But, I admit I drink. And I can, Because I’m an adult. "

Me too apparently lol

» Add a new message to this topic