FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Coffee snobs

Coffee snobs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *zero OP   Man 1 week ago

Glasgow

Got a cafetière a few weeks ago and I'm loving the difference in taste and quality compared to instant.

Anyone got any favourites or recommendations for grounds to go for?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *inister_SpinsterWoman 1 week ago

North West

I have an Illy coffee machine and I like their espresso coffee.

Lavazza is good too.

Both are available in larger supermarkets.

Or go to a deli and ask them for recs.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 1 week ago

King's Crustacean

I have a coffee machine.

It is the Granny

It makes a perfect cup ever time.

Instant Nescafe Decaff...

By *angria_girlukWoman 1 week ago

LUTON

"Got a cafetière a few weeks ago and I'm loving the difference in taste and quality compared to instant.

Anyone got any favourites or recommendations for grounds to go for?"

Enjoy! I got a sample/advent calendar of coffee to try different ones. Then found a company called coffee link. That does a subscription

By *naswingdressWoman 1 week ago

Manchester (she/her)

This is a whole rabbit hole. Be careful what you wish for

paging @JoeBeans (yes I know this doesn't work )

By *SCouple81Couple 1 week ago

Between Edinburgh and Scottish Borders

I enjoy grinding coffee and preparing it in caffetier myself but only do it when we eat breakfast together. If it's just me than I'll have instant.

By *eroLondonMan 1 week ago

Mayfair

My dear chap I'm sitting here right this moment quaffing my favourite coffee, served from my piping hot Bodum™ Cafetière.

Let's hope @JoeBeans doesn't sêê this...!

By *oeBeansMan 1 week ago

Derby

"This is a whole rabbit hole. Be careful what you wish for

paging @JoeBeans (yes I know this doesn't work )"

It's like you know me

Derby

"My dear chap I'm sitting here right this moment quaffing my favourite coffee, served from my piping hot Bodum™ Cafetière.

Let's hope @JoeBeans doesn't sêê this...! "

I am inevitable

Derby

Ok OP *cracks fingers*

I love that you've found something you enjoy and a cafetiere is a great starting point! I would actually recommend buying a hand grinder and buying whole bean because coffee is a fresh product and can stale as soon as it's ground! So what might taste good on the 1st and 2nd day, won't taste good on the 4th or 5th so you're robbing yourself of the delicious taste for the whole bag!

Until then, look for any independent coffee shops near you that sell beans and they'll happily grind them for you if needed. Alternatively, you can get an online subscription which I've never done and buy it ground, but with the time of shipping, the taste would definitely be compromised.

Good luck and hope you enjoy whatever coffee you buy

Manchester (she/her)

"Ok OP *cracks fingers*

I love that you've found something you enjoy and a cafetiere is a great starting point! I would actually recommend buying a hand grinder and buying whole bean because coffee is a fresh product and can stale as soon as it's ground! So what might taste good on the 1st and 2nd day, won't taste good on the 4th or 5th so you're robbing yourself of the delicious taste for the whole bag!

Until then, look for any independent coffee shops near you that sell beans and they'll happily grind them for you if needed. Alternatively, you can get an online subscription which I've never done and buy it ground, but with the time of shipping, the taste would definitely be compromised.

Good luck and hope you enjoy whatever coffee you buy "

I did this several years ago when I was so incapacitated that grinding my own beans was out of the question. It was fine for a few days then rapidly went downhill

Derby

"I did this several years ago when I was so incapacitated that grinding my own beans was out of the question. It was fine for a few days then rapidly went downhill "

It was such a mystery when I first got into coffee and when I found out that it was an actual fresh product that needs to be stored properly to keep it fresh, it was a real "holy crap" moment

By *elshcouple18Couple 1 week ago

Cardiff

Melitta bran to cup machine bought 3 yrs ago, lavazza beans our go to, both take it black no sugar.. perfect!!

Derby

Also OP, I would recommend checking out James Hoffmann's French Press technique. That may help

https://youtu.be/st571DYYTR8?si=hpWN9qlkwI8soJ1Z

By *eroLondonMan 1 week ago

Mayfair

"I did this several years ago when I was so incapacitated that grinding my own beans was out of the question. It was fine for a few days then rapidly went downhill

It was such a mystery when I first got into coffee and when I found out that it was an actual fresh product that needs to be stored properly to keep it fresh, it was a real "holy crap" moment "

I vacuum-seal my coffee in chromium-lined coffee bags, Joe. The antimicrobial properties help seal the flavour.

By *ickyKlungespeareMan 1 week ago

St Leonards

I'd be tempted to buy Lidl's as well if you're currently experimenting?

The French is smooth, the Italian quite punchy.

Less expensive way of discovering where your tastes lie, and then, once you know, spend a fortune on some even higher quality equivalents.

Manchester (she/her)

"I did this several years ago when I was so incapacitated that grinding my own beans was out of the question. It was fine for a few days then rapidly went downhill

It was such a mystery when I first got into coffee and when I found out that it was an actual fresh product that needs to be stored properly to keep it fresh, it was a real "holy crap" moment "

Sadly at this point I was fully aware, just didn't have free hands for grinding at this point (was on crutches and quite unstable). It was very, very sad

Manchester (she/her)

"I'd be tempted to buy Lidl's as well if you're currently experimenting?

Less expensive way of discovering where your tastes lie, and then, once you know, spend a fortune on some even higher quality equivalents."

A slightly more expensive way to do this would be to go to a really snooty cafe - the kind where they offer pour overs and you get to choose from a variety of coffee beans (some even give you cards to note flavour notes).

This does open up the rabbit hole, because this shows the potential of coffee.

But it'll also be a very clear indication of what you like - acidic, chocolatey, etc in terms of flavour notes, and possibly even what roasting and processing methods you like or don't like (things like natural can be pretty polarising).

Derby

It was such a mystery when I first got into coffee and when I found out that it was an actual fresh product that needs to be stored properly to keep it fresh, it was a real "holy crap" moment

I vacuum-seal my coffee in chromium-lined coffee bags, Joe. The antimicrobial properties help seal the flavour."

That's amazing! I have something called and Airscape which is a steel container with an inner lid that you push down to displace the oxygen and another lid that goes on top

By *arley QuimWoman 1 week ago

Somewhere

Less expensive way of discovering where your tastes lie, and then, once you know, spend a fortune on some even higher quality equivalents.

A slightly more expensive way to do this would be to go to a really snooty cafe - the kind where they offer pour overs and you get to choose from a variety of coffee beans (some even give you cards to note flavour notes).

But it'll also be a very clear indication of what you like - acidic, chocolatey, etc in terms of flavour notes, and possibly even what roasting and processing methods you like or don't like (things like natural can be pretty polarising)."

Now looking to see if this is offered near me. It sounds lovely!

By *erfectlychaoticWoman 1 week ago

Aldershot

I love decent coffee freshly ground coffee. I used to have a cafetiere at work but after it exploded on me it put me off somewhat.

Highly recommend a brand called Grumpy Mule.

By *irtyDanish2.0Woman 1 week ago

somewhere

I was the same when I discovered loose leaf tea, now that was a game changer for me x

Derby

But it'll also be a very clear indication of what you like - acidic, chocolatey, etc in terms of flavour notes, and possibly even what roasting and processing methods you like or don't like (things like natural can be pretty polarising)."

Seconded on this!

By *agnar73Man 1 week ago

Glasgow

I love a coffee

Not quite beans/grinding stage but I get pods from odd coffee co that would otherwise be rejected for sale and I have a dualit thing that turns the aluminium pods inside out for recycling

I really like the bags that you fill to a level as the quality of coffee in them is brilliant.

For instant I like an Italian style/blend

By *arley QuimWoman 1 week ago

Somewhere

I think I'm going to try to renew my coffee love this year. I know naff all about it, but it brings back memories of my gran (who was a coffee snob). We'd go into town and she'd pick out beans to be ground down, and we'd go off with her bag which she stored on her kitchen wall in some contraption you pushed a button into to release an amount into her French Press. This was all well over 35yrs ago now, but thinking about it I can still recall the smells in the shop (which no longer exists)

By *zero OP   Man 1 week ago

Glasgow

"Ok OP *cracks fingers*

Good luck and hope you enjoy whatever coffee you buy "

Oh nice! I'll look at grinders

Derby

"Oh nice! I'll look at grinders "

Yes! If I could recommend, pleasure don't buy a cheap £20 electric one from Amazon, they're shit! Pay a little more for decent hand grinder which can be around £50.

By *intiemintieWoman 1 week ago

Scottish Borders

"Got a cafetière a few weeks ago and I'm loving the difference in taste and quality compared to instant.

---------------------------------------

Foundation (Coffee Roasters) is by far and away my favourite online coffee supplier based in Cornwall-ticking all the boxes on variety, origin and strength, including bags/beans/grounds, super-reliable quality and additional underpinning groovy ethical/ethos and company values. Delicious. You know you're worth it.... : ) For those "about to run out of supplies moments"/or just maintaining a more economical reserve supply in the FRIDGE! (for the less picky drinkers within family/friends): if buying from supermarket- Id go for Lavazza. xx

By *rHotNottsMan 1 week ago

Cebu City

Out a cafetière, I just like a no.3 blend such as Lazy Sunday, black with half a teaspoon of honey … on a Sunday of course.

By *exbecs12Woman 1 week ago

Land of roman gods

My coffee grinder

Real beans or ground

Or my dolce latte machine

Love all of them

By *heHoneyMonster69Man 1 week ago

Warminster

Less expensive way of discovering where your tastes lie, and then, once you know, spend a fortune on some even higher quality equivalents."

I quite regularly buy Lidl’s Kenyan blend, it’s got a lovely fruity note to it that I just can’t get enough of.

By *wistntwirlCouple 1 week ago

Middle Land

French blend is my first choice. Failing that something south American.

Don't boil the water.

By *ady LickWoman 1 week ago

Northampton Somewhere

Love my coffee. We have Lidl's Kenyan or Colombian ground as our daily it's really good but always have a Sainsburys speciality one on the go as well. Sometimes we'll treat ourselves to some from a lovely independent coffee shop in town.

Occasionally we grind our own to

By *idnight RamblerMan 1 week ago

Pershore

I'd recommend finding whole beans you like and grinding them yourself before each brew. Beans stay fresh far longer than grounds with that fresh ground aroma.

By *undee2Man 1 week ago

Dundee

I think Braithwaites in Dundee do a mail order service. These guys have been selling tea and coffee for 150 years. The range is immense.

» Add a new message to this topic