FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Jimmy Carr.

Jimmy Carr.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I think a lot of his stuff is really funny, some of it not so funny, as with most comediens i like. Cant see why they are making such a fuss about what he said about downs syndrome people. He said, why are they called sunshine variety coaches when all the kids look the same. They do all look the same, its not really being nasty to say so.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They do not look the same, they have some similar qualities yes but they do not look the same and it was cruel to use them in a joke in any circumstances.

I believe that is why there was a fuss and quite rightly so.

Yes he is funny, but that does not give him the right to be cruel.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"They do all look the same, its not really being nasty to say so. "

It is very nasty to say. I have no idea why comedians have started picking on people with Downs Syndrome but I think it's a rotten and cowardly thing to do.

Anyone who heard the inter_iew on the Jeremy Vine show with the mother of a disabled child after Ricky Gervais started being a prat will understand just how much it hurts people when this happens.

"They do all look the same, its not really being nasty to say so. "

If he was a father to a downs syndrome child would he be taking the piss out of them?

.....no need to wonder

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

yeah it may have been cruel,but its called freedom of speech,hes a comedien,itl make some laugh,controversy always does,not everyone gets the joke,and not everyone thinks its in bad taste,its weird i agree,but everyone is entitled to their way of thinking,

il get slated for saying tthis,lol

By *o DaddyMan  over a year ago

Worcestershire

jimmy carr nor ricky gervais raise a titter for me,not comedians at all.

having worked with jimmy can say he is very dry but most of all a down to earth good chap

Surely all comedy is subjective though ? Someone somewhere will always take offence to something particularly if the subject matter is close to their heart.

I don't think any comedian sets out to offend anyone in particular but surely by the very nature of comedy someone or something will invariably be on the recieving end of a 'joke'

For what its worth I have seen Jimmy Carr live and there really isn't anything he won't base a joke around and I'm sure what you end up seeing on the telly is a much watered down version.

"yeah it may have been cruel,but its called freedom of speech,hes a comedien,itl make some laugh,controversy always does,not everyone gets the joke,and not everyone thinks its in bad taste,its weird i agree,but everyone is entitled to their way of thinking,

"

yep, long live freedom of speech, but does not make it any less cruel or distateful in the context put by the OP does it?

"I think a lot of his stuff is really funny, some of it not so funny, as with most comediens i like. Cant see why they are making such a fuss about what he said about downs syndrome people. He said, why are they called sunshine variety coaches when all the kids look the same. They do all look the same, its not really being nasty to say so. "

i said the same with Russell Brand, he did fuck andrew sachs grandaughter so why all the fuss, he wasnt being nasty to say so

Comedian in saying something outrageous and getting lots of free publicity shocker. A month before christmas I assume he has a product to sell?

well if a comedian takes the piss out of cougars saying something like nice bodies shame about the faces, we are robust adults and can take it on the chin.

However, doing this is vulnerabe groups is not on, in my opinion of course.

(Other opinions are available)

[Removed by poster at 26/11/11 16:23:04]

there is very different ways to get humor across both Jimmy Carr and Franky Boyle would both be kicked in the balls and beaten like twats in public if they made an jokes like that in my house.

its amazing why we allow it, if they were sayng racist jokes do you think that would be allowed...nahhh fuck that lets pick on disabled people...in fact even better lets pick on people with more severe disabilities in fact FUCK that, lets make jokes about getting rid of kids who are blind and deaf...well not like they are aware of it is it????

we in my family have tried our best not to make my niece feel like shes different through her cerebral palsy, but when u get comedians like this passing off "shock" humor it makes u fucking sick...

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"there is very different ways to get humor across both Jimmy Carr and Franky Boyle would both be kicked in the balls and beaten like twats in public if they made an jokes like that in my house.

its amazing why we allow it, if they were sayng racist jokes do you think that would be allowed...nahhh fuck that lets pick on disabled people...in fact even better lets pick on people with more severe disabilities in fact FUCK that, lets make jokes about getting rid of kids who are blind and deaf...well not like they are aware of it is it????

we in my family have tried our best not to make my niece feel like shes different through her cerebral palsy, but when u get comedians like this passing off "shock" humor it makes u fucking sick..."

+1

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Shockability...... nothing more, nothing less.

i remember a while back when jordans son seemed to be the butt of everyones jokes

seriously take the piss out of Jordan caused she is a twat but to be nasty about a disabled child? there no excuse for it no matter who he was landed with for a mother

Tongue in cheek ?....its funny and intelligent, because it challenges steroetyping...

The costumed archetypal Fool...with a submersive message , that articulates one truth, and reveals another...

Downs Syndrome children...have the syndrome of all looking the same in a general sense...yet each has their uniqueness and identity...bless `em...

Took years before Alf Garnet was understood as a parody...as a bigot..

Lets hope the kids are taught to laugh at themselves...its the best therapy and medicine...

Else we make victims of them....which is the worst form of condescension ..

I am sorry, I can't agree.

Comedy is cruelty, if you analyse any joke you will find that someone is being insulted or saying cruel things.

Whilst I am not saying it's ok to throw stones at people with down syndrome (or any other illness) if we say you can't make fun of them there is no intelectual argument to say you can't make fun of anyone else.

The thread about jokes were all either sexist (jokes about men or women) or racist (jokes about Irishmen) and there were no objections, surely the same argument it valid?

2p

"I think a lot of his stuff is really funny, some of it not so funny, as with most comediens i like. Cant see why they are making such a fuss about what he said about downs syndrome people. He said, why are they called sunshine variety coaches when all the kids look the same. They do all look the same, its not really being nasty to say so.

i could see the funny side of it, although, that was slightly different because he was talking to someone on the phone, not on the telly.

i said the same with Russell Brand, he did fuck andrew sachs grandaughter so why all the fuss, he wasnt being nasty to say so "

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I am sorry, I can't agree.

Comedy is cruelty, if you analyse any joke you will find that someone is being insulted or saying cruel things.

Whilst I am not saying it's ok to throw stones at people with down syndrome (or any other illness) if we say you can't make fun of them there is no intelectual argument to say you can't make fun of anyone else.

The thread about jokes were all either sexist (jokes about men or women) or racist (jokes about Irishmen) and there were no objections, surely the same argument it valid?

2p"

on the whole men, women and Irishman can defend themselves....

probably someone with Downs may not be able to.

but people with down syndrome are also supposed to resemble the features of mongolian people so it is ok to call them mongols?

no its not by the weay that was just a pause for thoughts question lol

If you are offended by a comedian's type of humour, don't watch, don't buy any of their products...

If you think they are funny and you can see it's jokeworld, watch and buy their products, a no brainer really.

Someone once said the difference between some on tolerant and intolerant; it tolerant people don't like something they avoid it, intolerant people will try and ban it for all.

2p"

Yes that makes sense, why is it ok to joke about irish and welsh people, but not black people.

By *he BananamanMan  over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

if i was to say that black or chinese people all looked the same there would be an outcry!,but who is there to stand up for the rights of the kids with downs syndrome?,people like gervais & carr are not comedians at all,but poor pathetic fools making fun of unfortunate souls.

i think the key to a good comedians is being funny without being offensive

Michael Mcintyre and Lee Evans both seem to have mastered the art of this, i have never know either to have to stoop to insulting a group of people to get a laugh

some comedians, however, have not mastered this art yet

just my opinion of course

"if i was to say that black or chinese people all looked the same there would be an outcry!,but who is there to stand up for the rights of the kids with downs syndrome?,people like gervais & carr are not comedians at all,but poor pathetic fools making fun of unfortunate souls."

What about identical twins then?

"i think the key to a good comedians is being funny without being offensive

Michael Mcintyre and Lee Evans both seem to have mastered the art of this, i have never know either to have to stoop to insulting a group of people to get a laugh

just my opinion of course "

Took the words right outta my mouth.

seriously, u cant compare making jokes about races/nationalities to making jokes about CHILDREN who are disabled, CHILDREN who have been abused/sexually abused

I'm no political correctness freak..I just know there's being LOW and there's being fucking AWFULLY low

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

and if you witnessed a group of yobs shouting abuse and making a fool of someone with Downs, would you laugh along or stop them.

sadly we will have people who will see jokes being made at the expense of the disabled and the vulnerable..... and the clowns will follow.

"if i was to say that black or chinese people all looked the same there would be an outcry!,but who is there to stand up for the rights of the kids with downs syndrome?,people like gervais & carr are not comedians at all,but poor pathetic fools making fun of unfortunate souls."

And yet....truthfully...as someone who lived on mainland China for 3 years....they are pretty much the same...

Lost in a sea of black hair...all the same height..tis true..

Am I not allowed to say that then ?

Bloody sily ..if its deemed racist....its not at ALL racist..

I`m not saying they are inferior ...at all...

"and if you witnessed a group of yobs shouting abuse and making a fool of someone with Downs, would you laugh along or stop them.

sadly we will have people who will see jokes being made at the expense of the disabled and the vulnerable..... and the clowns will follow."

Oh...some of us would wade in...I would..

Yes....just as the bigots apped Alf Garnett...

Theres a few here...that don`t get the " joke "..

"seriously, u cant compare making jokes about races/nationalities to making jokes about CHILDREN who are disabled, CHILDREN who have been abused/sexually abused

I'm no political correctness freak..I just know there's being LOW and there's being fucking AWFULLY low "

*like*

"and if you witnessed a group of yobs shouting abuse and making a fool of someone with Downs, would you laugh along or stop them.

sadly we will have people who will see jokes being made at the expense of the disabled and the vulnerable..... and the clowns will follow."

No i hate people like that, i would stop them.

suppose it comes down to who would kick fuck outta me lol- I know which group I'd choose

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

I like Jimmy...but it always gets me when people judge comedians, I think there is a little snobbishness..

If Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson saud the same things as the like of Jimmy Carr Ben Elton et al they would be branded as vile crude dirty sexist pigs..

Why?..because they are 'working class' comedians?

The same goes for the so called 'racist' comedians..there seems to be no limits to what can be said about 'fat' americans..'smelly cowardly' French..'Boring' Germans etc etc..but dare say anything about anyone a darker shade of pale and its all 'turn the nose up' stuff...

"seriously, u cant compare making jokes about races/nationalities to making jokes about CHILDREN who are disabled, CHILDREN who have been abused/sexually abused

I'm no political correctness freak..I just know there's being LOW and there's being fucking AWFULLY low "

Yes I can. Do you suggest that it's OK to make fun of someone because of where they were born, but not how they were born?

Would it be OK to make fun of an adult with downs but not a child with downs?

I return to the point that if you ban one group of people from having fun poked at them then you can't argue when another group objects.

Well you dont know that he would'nt plenty of black comedians take the piss out of black people and plenty of Irish comedians take the piss out of the Irish. To be fair I think you cant and shouldnt regulate comedy. Some find it funny some not so, if you dont then dont listen to that comedians work.

"I like Jimmy...but it always gets me when people judge comedians, I think there is a little snobbishness..

If Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson saud the same things as the like of Jimmy Carr Ben Elton et al they would be branded as vile crude dirty sexist pigs..

The same goes for the so called 'racist' comedians..there seems to be no limits to what can be said about 'fat' americans..'smelly cowardly' French..'Boring' Germans etc etc..but dare say anything about anyone a darker shade of pale and its all 'turn the nose up' stuff... "

tried to really keep this to the subject matter of DISABLED CHILDREN:

there are racist jokes that are 'jokes' there are racist jokes that maintain that people of other ETHNICIIES are lower than that of the given 'joker'

I cant even be arsed with black comedians playing on west indian heritage etc etc

but can we stick to the point:

DISABLED CHILDREN as 'joke' subjects???

I don't want comedy 'regulated' by any means, but Frankie Boyle insulted a disabled kid and got backlash, then Ricky Gervais insulted people with Downs Syndrome and got backlash, now Jimmy carr has insulted children with Downs Syndrome and....guess what!

Why do it? Why attack people who can't retaliate? It's not edgy or fighting against the PC crowd (whoever the hell they are), its just cheap, easy 'humour'. I prefer comedians who can make you laugh about the world today, not people who keep their audience by getting into the tabloids.

I'm no political correctness freak..I just know there's being LOW and there's being fucking AWFULLY low

Yes I can. Do you suggest that it's OK to make fun of someone because of where they were born, but not how they were born?

I return to the point that if you ban one group of people from having fun poked at them then you can't argue when another group objects."

an adult with a disability, o many levels of mentality can defend themselves.

you are talking to someone with experience of caring for vulnerable adults with such disabilities.

There is no implying that everyone should like someone merely because they have a disability, or pity them really.Like 'normal' people, everyone can be a horrible cunt.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I don't think any subject should be banned... some will laugh, some won't..

some will find somethings offensive.

some won't.

my dislike of jokes about the disabled has squat all to do with class..... whether a mouth from Eton says it or a hardened council estate..... not who says it, rather what is said.

but each to their own.

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

More often than not I don't find Jimmy Carr funny at all.

tullamore

"yeah it may have been cruel,but its called freedom of speech,hes a comedien,itl make some laugh,controversy always does,not everyone gets the joke,and not everyone thinks its in bad taste,its weird i agree,but everyone is entitled to their way of thinking,

yep, long live freedom of speech, but does not make it any less cruel or distateful in the context put by the OP does it?"

no it doesnt,but it what makes free speech free,i sound like a prat by saying this but,free is free,as much as anyone can hate certain things,,its free,so let it go,its life uninterrupted if you dont say anything,lol

tullamore

"I don't think any subject should be banned... some will laugh, some won't..

some will find somethings offensive.

some won't.

my dislike of jokes about the disabled has squat all to do with class..... whether a mouth from Eton says it or a hardened council estate..... not who says it, rather what is said.

but each to their own."

agree

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

"I like Jimmy...but it always gets me when people judge comedians, I think there is a little snobbishness..

The same goes for the so called 'racist' comedians..there seems to be no limits to what can be said about 'fat' americans..'smelly cowardly' French..'Boring' Germans etc etc..but dare say anything about anyone a darker shade of pale and its all 'turn the nose up' stuff...

tried to really keep this to the subject matter of DISABLED CHILDREN:

there are racist jokes that are 'jokes' there are racist jokes that maintain that people of other ETHNICIIES are lower than that of the given 'joker'

I cant even be arsed with black comedians playing on west indian heritage etc etc

but can we stick to the point:

DISABLED CHILDREN as 'joke' subjects???"

Then no...definately not..car crash 'humour'

There are some comedians who think mockery is humour ...... others are wise enough to know the difference.

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

yep, long live freedom of speech, but does not make it any less cruel or distateful in the context put by the OP does it?

no it doesnt,but it what makes free speech free,i sound like a prat by saying this but,free is free,as much as anyone can hate certain things,,its free,so let it go,its life uninterrupted if you dont say anything,lol"

+1 may not be pleasant, but it's what my ancestors (1 or 2 generations ago) fought nazis for - to make sure any of us could express our opinions x

By *abe1200Couple  over a year ago

belfast

I return to the point that if you ban one group of people from having fun poked at them then you can't argue when another group objects."

+1

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

Comedy is cruelty, if you analyse any joke you will find that someone is being insulted or saying cruel things."

2 biscuits crossing the road. One gets run over. What does he say "Oh crumbs"

Very bad joke but who got hurt with that one?

Why will dogs quite happily lick their own bollocks but wont give themselves a blowjob

Again very bad joke but who got hurt with that one?

There are certain things you should never joke about. Jimmy Carr can be funny but he knows quite well he often steps over the mark. He deliberately steps over the mark. He isn't stupid. He knows what he is doing. Controversy gets you publicity.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"there is very different ways to get humor across both Jimmy Carr and Franky Boyle would both be kicked in the balls and beaten like twats in public if they made an jokes like that in my house.

we in my family have tried our best not to make my niece feel like shes different through her cerebral palsy, but when u get comedians like this passing off "shock" humor it makes u fucking sick..."

+ 1 Paddy

tullamore

yep, long live freedom of speech, but does not make it any less cruel or distateful in the context put by the OP does it?"

no it doesnt and thats what i was saying,when people say things and others disagree or agree,thats free speech no offence is meant

no it doesnt and thats what i was saying,when people say things and others disagree or agree,thats free speech no offence is meant"

I knows.

Indeed, further, funny how some peeps started arguing against a ban. nobody suggested a ban. We are allowed to make our own thoughts and opinions known on any subject not to have to "shut up" because of "freedom of speech". That would be just wierd.

Why could this thread read like this...

Title: Jimmy Carr

Opening post: ........is a tw@t.

?????

The bloke is an imbecile at the highest attention seeking levels

Joking about disabled kids (he hasn't got any kids of his own... I wonder if he'd carry on spouting utter bile if he became a father to a child with a disability?), war wounded soldiers (he hasn't served in the military), 911 atrocities (quite sure he didn't lose any loved ones in the attacks), motorway car crash (the day after that dreadful M5 accident).

The bloke is a heartless selfish tosser. I used to like him before he started spouting the contraversal sh*t

tullamore

no it doesnt and thats what i was saying,when people say things and others disagree or agree,thats free speech no offence is meant

I knows. "

good,really dont like arguing,altough the missus says i do,i constantly tell her i dont,lol

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

look at the size of this thread i think his ploy worked we are all talking about him lol

"look at the size of this thread i think his ploy worked we are all talking about him lol"

lol its hardly a ploy kola...its merely our observations, what it is is the liking for humor that sinks lower than even my threshold, and more importantly its humor that wouldnt have any comeback from the said parties that are joked about.

theres so much talk on this thread already about free speech, but maybe not on the quality of the free speech...I'm the last to want censorship but I'm the first to say,making jokes about disabled children(cant be arsed using CAPS again!) is very low very cowardly and well...in fact its being a cunt who thinks he can say anything he likes,its rather sociopath behaviour to be honest..just be glad ur famous enough to get away with it

"i think the key to a good comedians is being funny without being offensive

just my opinion of course "

Humour comes in many guises though doesn't it. If it didn't we'd have comedians all telling the same sort of jokes and the diversity would only be on who told it the best. Humans are not like that, we're different and with different senses of humour, which is why Bernard Manning deeply offended some people yet others found him hilarious. I am a huge fan of Jim Davidson and Freddie Starr but their brands of humour became unpalletable for British TV and they slowly slid off the radar, although Freddie Starr has resurfaced of late, which I welcome but I bet his act is massively toned down from his heyday. Can't wait to see if he's going to tour again as I'd love to see him.

Michael Barrymore was another gifted comedian but his private life put paid to his career. Did it make him any less funny? Possibly, as humour is derived from not only the joke being told by the person telling it but how one perceives that person in one's mind. Nobody would laugh at a joke told my Ian Huntley or Peter Sutcliffe, yet that same joke told by Michael McIntyre would draw hoots of laughter from his audience.

It's all subjective.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

You mean , ' What's got one ball and fucks whores?'

Peter Sutcliffe's hammer.

Isn't funny ?

"You mean , ' What's got one ball and fucks whores?'

Peter Sutcliffe's hammer.

Isn't funny ?

"

Erm.. it's a bit funny. If anyone else had told that joke I may not have laughed though but cos it was you... you should get a job on a stage y'know.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I don't think it's funny

I think saying it is when people don't want you to is though......

Any psychologists in ??

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"I don't think any subject should be banned..."

Thing is, no one (generally) asks for the things that Carr or Boyle say to be banned per se. People like me just ask them to think about their targets a bit more carefully. "Maybe you shouldn't say that" does not equal "You must not say that" - this debate gets dragged down the free speech tangent too often.

The comedian Richard Herring puts this well when he says comedy should be about punching up, not punching down.

» Add a new message to this topic