FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Theresa May suggests NHS could be part of US trade deal

Theresa May suggests NHS could be part of US trade deal

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubble trouble OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

From The Independent:

Theresa May has left the door open for the greater involvement of US corporations in British healthcare as she arrives in America to lay the groundwork for a future trade deal.

Ms May would only say that she was committed to a health service that is free at the point of delivery, but made no comment on whether the NHS would be off the table in any future talks.

Trade and the UK’s economic relationship with the US will be one of the key pillars of the Prime Minister’s visit to Philadelphia and Washington DC.

Asked whether health services might form a part of a potential deal, she said: “We're at the start of the process of talking about a trade deal. We're both very clear that we want a trade deal.

“It will be in the interests of the UK from my point of view, that's what I'm going to be taking in, into the trade discussions that take place in due course.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aul DeUther-OneMan  over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

Hey, why not? - They're already running a lot of our prisons and look how well they're doing.

Seriously folks, if la May is planning on handing over chunks of British state to the most grasping, capitalist industrial complex ever known she's only following on in the footsteps of previous Prime Ministers Labour as well as Tory.

Donald Trump and his friends must be rubbing their hands in glee.

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Guess what the politics forum is for!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Say goodbye to the nhs in your country its getting sold off for a few crumbs of trade with you America lol just what the brexit mob wanted

By *eteinhantsMan  over a year ago

Southsea

Best she stay over there and not bother coming back

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"From The Independent:

Theresa May has left the door open for the greater involvement of US corporations in British healthcare as she arrives in America to lay the groundwork for a future trade deal.

Ms May would only say that she was committed to a health service that is free at the point of delivery, but made no comment on whether the NHS would be off the table in any future talks.

Trade and the UK’s economic relationship with the US will be one of the key pillars of the Prime Minister’s visit to Philadelphia and Washington DC.

Asked whether health services might form a part of a potential deal, she said: “We're at the start of the process of talking about a trade deal. We're both very clear that we want a trade deal.

“It will be in the interests of the UK from my point of view, that's what I'm going to be taking in, into the trade discussions that take place in due course."

What rubbish and lazy speculative journalism! Nowhere is the NHS mentioned in relationship to the USA.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

"From The Independent:

“It will be in the interests of the UK from my point of view, that's what I'm going to be taking in, into the trade discussions that take place in due course.

What rubbish and lazy speculative journalism! Nowhere is the NHS mentioned in relationship to the USA. "

No, but importantly, she avoided a direct question:

She was asked if a deal would include the NHS;

She dodged it; just said that she was commuted to an NHS that was free at the point of delivery;

She could easily have given reassurance that control and ownership of assets was ring fenced; ( if it will be) she chose not to.

Draw your own conclusions.

Grantham

[Removed by poster at 27/01/17 08:11:42]

Grantham

"From The Independent:

What rubbish and lazy speculative journalism! Nowhere is the NHS mentioned in relationship to the USA.

No, but importantly, she avoided a direct question:

She was asked if a deal would include the NHS;

She dodged it; just said that she was commuted to an NHS that was free at the point of delivery;

She could easily have given reassurance that control and ownership of assets was ring fenced; ( if it will be) she chose not to.

Draw your own conclusions.

"

That's because these are just informal discussions and not formal trade talks.

That's why the official USA Trade Negotiator won't be at the talks later between DT and TM.

As we are still in the EU, we cannot formally negotiate anything.

London and France

"

That's why the official USA Trade Negotiator won't be at the talks later between DT and TM.

"

Actually it's because he hasn't got one; as Congress has not yet confirmed one.

Grantham

"

Actually it's because he hasn't got one; as Congress has not yet confirmed one. "

Yes, happy to be corrected on that. Although I think the name Robert Lighthizer will become very familiar to us all very soon!

London and France

"

Yes, happy to be corrected on that. Although I think the name Robert Lighthizer will become very familiar to us all very soon! "

Yes, that's who he is wanting;

A proper shark who will savage anyone he "negotiates " with. I use the term negotiate loosely.

Grantham

"

Yes, happy to be corrected on that. Although I think the name Robert Lighthizer will become very familiar to us all very soon!

A proper shark who will savage anyone he "negotiates " with. I use the term negotiate loosely."

Very protectionist, sharp operator but I think his main battle will be with China.

London and France

"

A proper shark who will savage anyone he "negotiates " with. I use the term negotiate loosely.

Very protectionist, sharp operator but I think his main battle will be with China."

Indeed; considering his main work recently has been in steel; his first task will be to battle Chinese steel.

The UK/US stuff is a minor sideshow as far as the US is concerned; and of no real interest apart from a bit of minor PR;

Big games are TPP, china, Far East industry and NAFTA.

They will wait for BREXIT, and for the various elections in the EU, in the hope that the EU is weakened before they pounce.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Some interesting posts in this thread - learnt some things! Politicians are very strange creatures - an honest one would be most welcome! Trade deals are complex issues, and I recently read that the Australian record breaking deal - less than a year to complete - is now not such a great trade deal from the Oz side, very heavily weighted in favour of the bigger US - hindsight is a wonderful thing! It was muted in the 1970's by an American that maybe the UK becomes the 51st state - at the time we were knowwas the sick man of Europe. Strikes, power cuts which resulted in a 3 day working week. Infation 27%, campaigns " I am backing Britain " - buy British goods British Leyland had the Union Jack mini! North see oil saved us. Fingers crossed it will be alright in the long run?

» Add a new message to this topic