FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Are profile bios obsolete?

Are profile bios obsolete?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    50 weeks ago

Ive noticed a fair amount of people ignore profile bios, and will message regardless of wether they are who you’re looking for or not. Its not any one group either. Matching a persons bio is no guarantee of a meet.

Should fab have more filters?

Are people just braver and more outgoing?

I do like a nice bio.

Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iss DevilWoman 50 weeks ago

Bedford

There is only 2 lines of text on my profile yet people (well, men) keep ignoring it. I guess sometimes it's just a "blanket approach" or "casting a wide net", where they send the exact same message to all women within x miles range. Other times, I wonder if they actually go any further than just looking at pictures and decided to message.

By *ootnootboopCouple 50 weeks ago

Cheshire

We think a bio is important, it shows a little glimpse of you as a person and what you may or may not be looking for....

Sadly though, not many people read them nowadays

A

By *quirtyndirty!Couple 50 weeks ago

Nottingham

Starting to think some people don't have the brain capacity to read more than a few lines. We like bios, often tells you far more about someone than pictures

By *nonymous95-2Woman 50 weeks ago

Northwich

I love a good bio. It can tell you initially if you're compatible, or can give you an insight to the person. It can be very helpful and I find those that ignore them, aren't the people I'm gonna be meeting.

By *issmorganWoman 50 weeks ago

Calderdale innit

I always read a profile & like to have something to go on ,so i can see if we'd potentially get on.

Most don't read mine,but its a good filter.If they cant be arsed to read mine ,I dont feel bad deleting them.

By *ornycouple7884Couple 50 weeks ago

Exeter

I always read a bio and if men can't be bothered to put the effort in there then we're not interested and won't reply or message them. Simple.

By *s2pervsCouple 50 weeks ago

Truro

Always read bios, the varied and interesting ways people use the written (typed) word.

Mr

By *rsPricklePantsWoman 50 weeks ago

Room 237 at The Overlook Hotel, Suffolk

I always read the book on a profile it just comes across that mostly men don't bother reading them or writing them then wonder why they don't get meets

By *acavityMan 50 weeks ago

Redditch

I love reading a good bio

Even if it turns out that I am not what they're looking for.

But do get annoyed when people don't read mine and ask questions already answered.

By *oyahandrussCouple 50 weeks ago

Nr Rugby

I love a good read & actually ours is a f....ing book lol but we have tried to cover a lot.Most do read it which is annoying

By *inkyyorkshireMan 50 weeks ago

Bridlington

I always read them. If they read like a big list of wants and demands I know we wouldn’t get on anyway. The ones that say I’m a happy person who just enjoys sex regardless of any physical attributes always get my attention.

By *iscreetfuncpl12Couple 50 weeks ago

Somerset

"Ive noticed a fair amount of people ignore profile bios, and will message regardless of wether they are who you’re looking for or not. Its not any one group either. Matching a persons bio is no guarantee of a meet.

I do like a nice bio.

Thoughts?

"

For us, the profile bio is more important than the pictures.

By *hezGeekCouple 50 weeks ago

Bristol

The bio is what makes the decision for us as to whether or not we meet/message/reply to other profiles. The more detail the better - we love actualy having something to talk about!

By *naswingdressWoman 50 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's a good filter.

Other people's bios tell me things about them and if I might want to contact them.

People not reading my bio is a good indication I don't want to meet them.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman 50 weeks ago

Carlisle usually

Oh, I don't think so.

The people I've met from here directly have been people with interesting bios as well as sending messages that demonstrate they've bothered to read mine.

Plenty of people don't read them for sure. But I'm not fucking those people, so

By *winging Sally SeanCouple 50 weeks ago

Warks / Northants Border

I have a very similar comment for this, a I did for a question about which photos people like to see.

For simplicity we separate profiles into 'Swingers' and 'Shaggers'. I/we see swingers as people who you are happy to spend time with, PLUS you enjoy having sexual encounters with them too. Therefore, we like profiles which show a little of the personalities behind them. We always try to make any update to our profile reflective of us - so others can have an idea of the sort of people they are communicating with.

In contrast, it seems many on this site are more interested in the sex, and the number of different people they do it with. I refer to these as Shaggers. This isn't derogatory, it's just a simplification.

We're far more likely to meet swingers rather than shaggers. So please keep up the good work with decent profiles bios!

By *irldnCouple 50 weeks ago

Brighton

Our bio is long. Deliberately long. If someone cannot be bothered to spend 3 or 4 minutes reading about us we can’t be bothered to meet them! Simple filter against the hard of thinking.

By *red333Man 50 weeks ago

Dorchester

"There is only 2 lines of text on my profile yet people (well, men) keep ignoring it. I guess sometimes it's just a "blanket approach" or "casting a wide net", where they send the exact same message to all women within x miles range. Other times, I wonder if they actually go any further than just looking at pictures and decided to message. "
why read when you can look at pics its same difference they won't get a meet anyways

By *ooleyMan 50 weeks ago

lancaster

I actually got some unsolicited & complimentary feedback last week on my profile. Never had any contact with the person before, and they were out of my area/not looking at the moment, and said that I was very clear in what I was looking for and she would have got in touch if the stars aligned for her.

Was lovely for me to read and *might* show that some people do still consider the Bios an important part of this site.

By (user no longer on site) 50 weeks ago

"I always read a profile & like to have something to go on ,so i can see if we'd potentially get on.

Most don't read mine,but its a good filter.If they cant be arsed to read mine ,I dont feel bad deleting them."

I love reading the bio's, I really don't get why people wouldn't read about the very person you are trying to make contact with.

By the way i thought i would give yours a read, and let me tell you, thats how a bio should be wrote.

By *adameGreyTV/TS 50 weeks ago

Renfrew

"There is only 2 lines of text on my profile yet people (well, men) keep ignoring it. I guess sometimes it's just a "blanket approach" or "casting a wide net", where they send the exact same message to all women within x miles range. Other times, I wonder if they actually go any further than just looking at pictures and decided to message. "

I love how your profile is just like a giant "piss off" and people still message you

By *oiluvfunMan 50 weeks ago

Penrith

I love reading profiles, and I genuinely read every word! It’s quite often a straight block at some point though, as it’s clear we won’t be a match, so no need to look at their pretty pictures or read their status updates, if nothing is ever going to happen between us.

Generally; anything more than “I’m a xx year old woman looking for men” grabs my attention

To be honest we’ve tried to explain briefly who we are and what we’re looking for and if people want to ignore it or read it it’s up to them.

Messaging “on topic” is likely to meet with more success though.

By *iss DevilWoman 50 weeks ago

Bedford

"There is only 2 lines of text on my profile yet people (well, men) keep ignoring it. I guess sometimes it's just a "blanket approach" or "casting a wide net", where they send the exact same message to all women within x miles range. Other times, I wonder if they actually go any further than just looking at pictures and decided to message.

I love how your profile is just like a giant "piss off" and people still message you "

I always read profiles and actually take more notice of them or at least the same notice as the photos

By *ustamanMan 50 weeks ago

weymouth

Profiles let me know whether I'd be wasting my time, so yes I read them and find them valuable - others may just use the scattergun approach and bombard everyone with messages regardless

By *imi_RougeWoman 50 weeks ago

Portsmouth

"It's a good filter.

Other people's bios tell me things about them and if I might want to contact them.

People not reading my bio is a good indication I don't want to meet them."

I agree. I like people to match my effort.

By *unner6969Man 50 weeks ago

Herts

"Ive noticed a fair amount of people ignore profile bios, and will message regardless of wether they are who you’re looking for or not. Its not any one group either. Matching a persons bio is no guarantee of a meet.

Sadly, as a single male, it is so hard to get a message read on here, let alone a reply, even with a carefully crafted message. So, as a consequence, a lot of men go for the cold-calling, leafleting philosophy, that the same message sent out to everyone, will get a 2.5% response.

This of course makes it harder, as women continue to get swamped with standard messages, so as consequence, men send even more blanket messages…. The problem is self-perpetuating.

I do like a nice bio.

Thoughts?

"

By *aimeDWoman 50 weeks ago

Shaftesbury, Dorset

Whilst it’s definitely obvious to me who hasn’t read my bio (and that will be an instant no from me as there’s important stuff in there that I need to know people have understood), I wouldn’t say bios are obsolete though. I certainly always read other people’s bios and it’s clear who has read mine. I think a lot of people just send out so many first messages and look to see what sticks that they don’t really have time to read what’s there.

By *ictoriousMan 50 weeks ago

Bristol

Bios mean a lot. They can immediately indicate that there is no point messaging.

Occasionally I will send a message appreciating a bio or picture even if I am outside their catchment or have different needs just in appreciation.

But bios indicate what the other party wants and so when messaging first I try to reference their bio, because it shows that it's both personalised and that I have already taken time to understand them at least a little.

It's a respect thing.

And normally fairly obvious if they haven't read mine.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple 50 weeks ago

Coventry

There's always going to be people who use a scatter shot approach for who your bio is totally irrelevant. However that doesn't make your Bio irrelevant or obsolete. All it does is makes those people irrelevant to you as they are not the people you were looking for anyways. As for the rest of us who value a bio and looking for something special the bio will always be important.

By *yeSureMan 50 weeks ago

Glasgow

They tend to be static. So prefer just messaging

By *aximum_funMan 50 weeks ago

West Herts

I always read them and use it to filter myself out if they're not looking for me.

I do sometimes wonder if my own bio is discounting me from getting replies though, I can see why men would want to make their bio more generic to get more conversations!

If someones headline is "please read my profile before messaging", I don't bother reading it, because its bound to be full of psychotic small print.

By *ayna20Couple 50 weeks ago

Kent

The thing is the lifestyle has become so “trendy” now. There are too many people seeing the site as a way to go out and get lots of sex.

Of course we’d all like a good sexy meet but there’s a difference between swinging and just plain fucking

Too many here for the wrong reasons

By *etro1940sCouple 50 weeks ago

Kingston upon Thames

"To be honest we’ve tried to explain briefly who we are and what we’re looking for and if people want to ignore it or read it it’s up to them.

Messaging “on topic” is likely to meet with more success though. "

what we say ... but you can always be surprised and often "tempted" by someone who is good at communications and can seduce you to take an interest. x Anne

By *unner6969Man 50 weeks ago

Herts

I do like a nice bio.

Thoughts?

"

From what I hear, women could post no photos, no bio… and they would still get 100s of messages a day. If the majority of men could just be more selective it would be so much better for all of us.

By *ave-and-LouiseCouple 50 weeks ago

Torquay

I find it's about 50/50 if they've read and understood or not. If they've clearly not in the first few lines or the message title I don't even bother to read the rest of the message, it's just deleted.

We get messages every day from people that haven't read our profile. The first couple of lines are very clear about the type of single guy we want to avoid. I get that our profile is long but they don't even read the first couple of lines.

They see it purely as a numbers game. A microsecond looking at the pic and either a cut and paste message or a 'How's u?' They will be doing this rapidly to as many accounts as they can.

I often ask if they've read our profile when it's clear they haven't. They always say they have.

By *rFoxAndXenoCouple 50 weeks ago

Weymouth

We get a lot of winks from full swap only couples, so they definitely didn't read our previous profile iteration

Often makes you wonder doesn't it.

I've had a fair share of messages that clearly demonstrate that the sender hasn't bothered to even read the first line, let alone tge whole profile - so it isn't just tge single men on here who are guilty of this

By *uckmonkeyMan 50 weeks ago

devon

I love reading bio’s even if the 1st line tells me I’m not of interest to them… especially drawn if if it starts off this is long and boring……

Absolutely ignored by the majority.

I would say 3-4 out of every 5 messages I received asked a question that is already answered on my profile

They probably did start off reading profiles and only messaging people they matched with.

After no replies they probably thought fuck it, no point reading... just message everyone and see if one replies.

We put some time and effort into our bio to give people an idea of ehonwe are and what we are looking for.

If a profile we are looking at has a decent bio then we are more inclined to message, because we have a better feel for whether or not they seem our type of people

Mrs

By *entenTeaCouple 50 weeks ago

Buckley North Wales

No we don't think profiles are obsolete in any way. We accept that many single guys don't bother reading them. They tend to be the sort of guy who won't make the effort to go to a club.

Personally: informative, well written and well structured profiles are a pleasured to see. Single, large block paragraphs are off putting and shows that the writer probably doesn't give much thought to written communication in general.

There is nothing wrong with a list of dos and don'ts. Certainly, some hint of potential drama and labarythanie conditionality. But those are often the sort of folk with whome we have great chats at a club, that don't lead to playing. So still part of a fun evening for us.

By *aughty_builder87Man 50 weeks ago

Keston

I still read bios, but lot of them are down to interpretation. If it mentions black men I just move on. Same with tall men.

By *red333Man 50 weeks ago

Dorchester

I do like a nice bio.

Thoughts?

"

A nice write up is lovely but many just don't write one as a woman you can afford to delete lovely guys or couples who don’t but as a guy you have to get to know a person first so a nice pic is a great start

By *agertha73Couple 50 weeks ago

Cardiff

We read bios. Words are important to us x

By *ay030Man 50 weeks ago

Nearby

There's definitely something more appealing about a profile with some information on it. I'm always dubious about half baked or empty ones. And text speak is massively of putting.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 49 weeks ago

Central

No. They help to filter the dross out really easily, when it's obvious that they don't read them. Job done

By *etro1940sCouple 49 weeks ago

Kingston upon Thames

Profiles shape the conversation but the real comms are still messaging and of course meeting in person. We meet at clubs and have a 90% success rate with couples turning up and about 55% with single guys ... but then we can find others on the day/night. x A & G

By *ranimallxl5Man 49 weeks ago

Winchester

I am not sure people read mine, though it's quite silly

By *eyeYCouple 49 weeks ago

Nr Leicester

"It's a good filter.

People not reading my bio is a good indication I don't want to meet them."

That!!

By *erlicanMan 49 weeks ago

Newbury

I always read the bios pretty comprehensively, sometimes even though I'm very aware that the writer isn't looking for my 'type.'

Some are truly dreadful, others very amusing, some so downright blunt and instructive that I wonder that anyone would want to meet the writer.

I've learnt too that honesty doesn't always pay.

» Add a new message to this topic