FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > IBS

IBS

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anyone else suffer from it?

I just have been diagnosed after 3 years of it screwing me up, only to be told there is nout I can do about it!

Makes the pre-meet nerves unbareable, everything about it is....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Anyone else suffer from it?

I just have been diagnosed after 3 years of it screwing me up, only to be told there is nout I can do about it!

Makes the pre-meet nerves unbareable, everything about it is...."

shit?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Makes the pre-meet nerves unbareable, everything about it is....shit?"

That's the funniest post I've read all day!

It sure is! anyone have any coping methods or anything??

"It sure is! anyone have any coping methods or anything??"

squeeze your arse cheeks together

Haha, must admit I did have a chuckle at that too!

Yes mate, fellow sufferer here!

I was diagnosed when I was in my early teens but in the last 3 years (I'm 24 now) I've really tried hard to understand what it is that brings on the cramps for me.

I managed to get it down to a slight lactose intolerance combined with a wheat / gluten intolerance with a side order of anxiety!

I tried looking at exactly what it was that I was eating at any given time and how it went through (if you will!) and having changed my diet over the years have been able to control it a lot mroe than before.

It still doesn't help much with the "mind" part, the body I managed to sort but I found it harder to track down what was causing it to affect me.

I ended up making notes on how I felt before / during the time I was having a dodgy tum and I found that I was getting really anxious about things. That threw my tum and made things like inter_iews hell for me (let alone meets! Not had one yet!).

I ended up taking a strange path after that and started reading all manner of different books. Most were crap (haha! He made a funny!) but there were one or two that were really useful to me. This was during my mid / late teens though and so I was reading a lot of weird stuff to be honest!

Instead of recommending books directly I'd say your best bet would be to try and figure out exactly what feelings set off the IBS. As mentioned it was anxiety for me but stress comes in many different forms (it could even be something like a build-up of minor niggles).

I used to take Lomotil for my IBS, I am sure there are other things out there that can help but I found the side effects got to me a little more than others (overly dry mouth, increased chance of migraines etc.).

I tried pretty much everything available "over the counter" but nothing worked as well as the 'til.

I took myself off the meds after about 5 years and worked hard to try and nail down the food issues. Since really cutting back on my dairy / gluten intake, touch wood, I've been OK.

Obviously I still get the odd bout but they have mainly been before I've gone down with a bug / cold / flu so I've been able to have that as more of an early warning system.

To sum up, I'd probably say see what the doc suggests from a meds point of _iew then look at your intake of food (especially trigger foods such as those high in gluten, wheat, dairy and heavily refined foods etc) and try to see if there is anything you could cut out / cut back on to see if you notice any difference.

I'd also recommend making notes on how you are feeling when you get your worst bouts as sometimes CBT can help. I had a few session in my late teens adn it certainly helped me to "re-frame", whereas before I would spiral down into a turd nightmare (I remember once not being able to hold anything down for 24hours!). Now I can nip most of the anxiety in the bud and that helps to neutralise any kind of follow-on bout of IBS.

I know that this post has probably gone on a little too long, I could probably add another dozen or so paragraphs to it!

Bear in mind that it might take a little while to nail down exactly what is causing the issue.

All the best mate, feel free to message me if you want to talk more about it as I've pretty much tried all there is to try out there!

Harv

By *andWnwcplCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

Hey there - another fellow IBSer here. It's incredibly common, but embarrassing, so most people make jokes about it instead Everyone's triggers and treatments are different, so I recommend the book: 'IBS For Dummies' - I found it pretty helpful. Just remember: you're here on this planet for a reason, and one of them is to be a sex machine. Remember how fabulous you are

Jen

x

By *bwitchedwarlock69Couple  over a year ago

Batley, West Yorkshire

Makes the pre-meet nerves unbareable, everything about it is...."

Yep, I (Bex) do, so can sympathise. Mine is definitely stress related, my worst time was going through my A-levels at college, it's never been as bad as it was then, but I've also noticed it affects me badly if I'm conflicted or particularly nervous about something.

As a musician, various techniques I use to calm myself before a performance help to control my nerves before a meet and once we're there chatting and/or playing the nerves disappear soon enough anyway.

In general, I try to avoid very spicy food and, as others have said, am careful with dairy and wheat based foods and, though I've never been one to drink to excess, I also limit my alcohol consumption as that tends to make me feel a bit icky if I have more than one or two drinks in a night.

Otherwise I take aloe vera tablets, but the absolute best for me is peppermint pills. I don't take them all the time, but if I'm having a flare up they're fantastic. I'm not sure why they work but, for me at least, they do. It was a doctor of mine years ago that recommended I try them and it was one of the best bits of advice he ever gave me - they clear the bloating and stop me feeling sick which is the bit I hate the most.

There may not be anything you can do to cure it, but there are things you do to make it easier to live with, so good luck with finding what works for you x

"

Otherwise I take aloe vera tablets, but the absolute best for me is peppermint pills. I don't take them all the time, but if I'm having a flare up they're fantastic. I'm not sure why they work but, for me at least, they do. "

Yeah I'd agree with Bex on that point, I've been taking Aloe Vera tablets for yonks now and it seems to keep things calm most of the time.

I also remember taking Peppermint tablets on and off for a while too. Used to give me funny tasting burps I can tell you

Both are worth a shot and, for me at least, I had no side-effects from using either ('cept for the dodgy burps that is )

H

I have IBS and it drives me insane. I was advised by my doctor to have food intolerance testing (Not available on the NHS). Its made a huge difference. I now know exactly which foods I have to avoid completely and which one's I can get away with in small doses. Website I used was www.yorktest.com. Take a look and hope it helps

I (fem half) have had IBS since my early teens...its effected me since then sometimes its mild other times its just the absolute pits.

Stress is a massive factor.......any anxiety, stress, emotion sets it into a rolling ball of symptoms.......then its difficult to get under control again. Its a vicious circle cos u get stressed, that starts of the symtoms, then u get stressed because u have the symptoms, then the symtoms get worse and so on.........so its a matter of control.

IBS can effect you swinging wise.....it is an embaressing disease and you feel very un-sexy.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Agreed with Jo, I dont have IBS but am sufferer from coeliac disease.

Similar symptoms but controllable with diet.

Good luck

try reflexology....... i have helped many a person suffering from this over the years!!!!!

"try reflexology....... i have helped many a person suffering from this over the years!!!!! "

i have just been told by a professional to try massage and reflexology.....anyone else tried this?

"try reflexology....... i have helped many a person suffering from this over the years!!!!!

i have just been told by a professional to try massage and reflexology.....anyone else tried this?"

personally from clients i have helped i have found that any anxiety makes symptoms worse and have found by having reflexology treatment it has reduced their symptoms by at leaset 85%.......... xx

"try reflexology....... i have helped many a person suffering from this over the years!!!!!

i have just been told by a professional to try massage and reflexology.....anyone else tried this? personally from clients i have helped i have found that any anxiety makes symptoms worse and have found by having reflexology treatment it has reduced their symptoms by at leaset 85%.......... xx "

only problem is i hate people touching my feet lol but its defo worth a try.

a lot of people say they wouldnt like it due to the fact they are ticklish.. however i can confirm its very relaxing and not ticklish in any way..... your more likely to fall asleep during treatment lol

I (jon) have chrons and have suffered with it for nearly 10 year although i an on medication for it however during times of excess stress it can flair up, so i tend to find having a sleep or a relaxing bath can really help

By *bwitchedwarlock69Couple  over a year ago

Batley, West Yorkshire

"I also remember taking Peppermint tablets on and off for a while too. Used to give me funny tasting burps I can tell you

Both are worth a shot and, for me at least, I had no side-effects from using either ('cept for the dodgy burps that is ) "

Yeah, minty fresh burps, hehe, Al finds it quite amusing lol. But I'm not complaining, will take minty fresh burps over an IBS flare up any day! x

Hey thanks for everyones input, I have been suffereing for about 3 years since starting Uni but i never related it to anxiety as im pretty chilled out about everything but if this is how my sub-conscious manifests my anxitety I would rather be a nervous wreck!

For the past few months I have been off lactose and stay away from citric acid when I can and the symptoms seems to be alot better but sitting in lectures can be hell!

And I know what you mean about the spiraling stress issues, you worry about it because of the symptoms which causes more symptoms, just terrible.

I will give the Aloe tablets a try and see if that settles me a bit more, thanks for the advice everyone!

consultant said to me the stomach is like the second brain......makes sence when u think about it.

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

"Hey thanks for everyones input, I have been suffereing for about 3 years since starting Uni but i never related it to anxiety as im pretty chilled out about everything but if this is how my sub-conscious manifests my anxitety I would rather be a nervous wreck!

For the past few months I have been off lactose and stay away from citric acid when I can and the symptoms seems to be alot better but sitting in lectures can be hell!

And I know what you mean about the spiraling stress issues, you worry about it because of the symptoms which causes more symptoms, just terrible.

I will give the Aloe tablets a try and see if that settles me a bit more, thanks for the advice everyone!"

my old doctor just kept fobbing me oof,so i switched docs,and within a month he had me diagnosed,so rather than suffering with the cramps and muscle spasms,i had real bad ones where my whole body just cramped up from the pains,i couldnt move,but my new doc,gave me some pills called colofac,if i feel the cramps coming on,i take one within an hour im grand,,

hope you dont need pills,but they work for me

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

Its not funny...its enough to put the wind up anyone!

(Fellow sufferer here too btw)

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Jayne suffers from IBS, and stress is a big factor.

Also, she is having problems pinning down what foods trigger it, as it can be quite random, one day she can eat anything, the next pretty much anything sets it off, any advice on how to figure that out?

Yup - got it too. I've found wheat and some dairy products set me off. Have you tried cutting down on these? Also refined or processed foods are full of crap (no pun) so I've tried to cut these out and all. So really I'm just living off water and what I can forage or steal off squirrels at that rate! I've tried breathing techniques to relax in order to cut down on the anxiety triggers rather than colofax tablets. It can be a real, well... pain in the arse

tullamore

just keep a daily note of what she eats and after an attack,look at what she ate that day and the previous day,try a different meal,even cook it differently,use different oils to cook with

By *ohjaneCouple  over a year ago

south staffs

Remember that it can take up to 3-4 days for the trigger to reach the reactive part of the intestine, which is why some foods seem ok one day but not the next.

J x

By *aughtyNurse999Woman  over a year ago

Fabville !!!

as already said diet can make a large difference and stress can aggrivate the condition...

I whole heartedly recommend that anoyone who suffers from IBS see their local Kinesiologist, I know lots will think it's a load of nonsense, I did when it was recommended to me but I was in such a state I would have tried anything - three years on I am pretty much attack free

Collitis here....got it last year, stress related I put it down to, what a bastard of an illness! struck me down for 3 months, lost about 2 stone and couldnt eat!

Thankgod for colonoscopies ha

tullamore

"Collitis here....got it last year, stress related I put it down to, what a bastard of an illness! struck me down for 3 months, lost about 2 stone and couldnt eat!

Thankgod for colonoscopies ha"

had the colonoscopy,he didnt even buy me a drink first the cheapskate,lol

By *razydriver8Couple  over a year ago

plymouth

hsm here.. i am a sufferer too.. ibs is no joke... my first doc just said.." your the size of a bus what do you expect" i enjoyed reporting him...

eggs set me off the worst.. and stress is a big factor ... yoga works for me... less stressed,,, more supple.. still the size of a bus though. lol

By *obblybitsCouple  over a year ago

huddersfield

I have ibs and sadly it is just an unberella teurm for we don't know what the f%%k is wrong so we will call it this!

it is horrible and it dose affect me now and then whilst having sex as my tummy is so bloated it sometimes hurts so bad I want to cry.

I am one way and the other and have medication to control both..

I suffer from it too and mines hormone related, kept food diary in past and kept note of time of the month, GP agreed its quite common to be react to hormones, stress and diet play big factor too and over indulging in bran/wheat sets me off big time.

By *cite6662002Couple  over a year ago

glos

holyshit we all got it

had it about 25 years now gp tole me there was nothing for it and that was only jan this year but when seen a different gp in feb which was a woman

she gave me (dicycloverine hydrochlorid)

which stoped the small cramps i had which in turn stoped me thinking about it

which is a big help when your not thinking wheres the nerist WC

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Not got it, thank goodness, but I currently have anemia which neede investigation. It transpired I have a hiatus hernia which is the "trap door" at the top of the stomach protruding up through the diaphragm. This is allowing stomach acid to break down the food nutrition before it can be absorbed. It is unoperable. They also touched on the possibility of me being coeliac so I investigated what foods I`d best be avoiding. Well at first I thought I was going to have survive on a diet of chips! It seemed that everything I picked up had some form of wheat or barley in it, even some rice based cereals! The one thing I`ve done which has helped me is to cut right down on bread.

My best mate has this - I say the Doctor never said he had irritable bowel syndrome - Just that he was an irritable arsehole!

» Add a new message to this topic