FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Gum clinic

Gum clinic

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Can someone please tell us how it works and what sort of questions they ask.

And what do people tell them?

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lighty1Woman  over a year ago

You Dont Need to Know, right now

I go every three months, for a "peace of mind" check. I register with the receptionist who gives me a card with my own number, and the Receptionist asks if I want to be summoned by name or number (for privacy).

The it's into the doctor's room, who asks about numbers of sexual partners and types of sex engaged in (oral, vaginal, anal), protected or unprotected, any symptoms I might have noticed, etc. I tell them I'm a swinger, and they are not at all judgemental about my varied sex life

Then it's into the examination room, knickers off, feet in the stirrups and the doctor comes in to do swabs. Mouth swabs aren't taken as a matter of course at the clinic I use, but you can ask for mouth swabs.

Then it's into the loo to do a urine sample, and into the nurse/phlebotomists rooms for blood samples. I always ask for a full

screening including HIV and pregnancy.

Results take about a week. I get a text if it's all clear, or a phone call if there is something they are worried about. Don't worry if it's a phone call, because the tests also pick up common things like thrush or Bacterial Vaginosis.

I would definitely recommend that all swingers get a peace of mind check, every few months. After all, condoms aren't infallible.

By *lactontogMan  over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

Because of my job i am tested every 28 days, for guys its a throat swap/water sample/blood test then a week to find out your results.

I need a written letter/cert so i have to take a passport with me and my numbers wrote down and when i pick up my letter i need the same ID again so they know its me who as taken the test.

Its always friendly and confidential and regular attendance is advisable if you are meeting multiple partners.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I go there all the time too. They just ask simple questions like how many men have you fucked in the last 3 months lol

I say I dunno and they say ok let's test you for everything lol

They are lovely and don't judge you

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I was tested last week. I'd phoned & made an appointment so priority over walk-ins & notes ready. I booked in, took a seat & was called by my 1st name.

Spoke to Dr, went through my gynae & birthing history, change of circumstances, said now swinging asked if oral, vaginal, anal, with or without condoms, with men (straight & or bi-sexual), women, if condoms used on sex toys etc...

Called through to nurse, did my own vaginal & rectal swabs, she took throat swab & did blood test. I requested extra condoms as I left. All done & done in 30 mins & the were really lovely.

Results will be by text by next Monday.

By *atnat85Woman  over a year ago

northwest

As everyone said, they are friendly and not at all judgemental......last time I went the nurse who took my history did her nurse training with me. That was potentially awkward but she was the consummate professional!x

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I attended a clinic in Bradford its free parking, Leeds isn't... Questions along the lines of how many, regular or casual partners .. type of sex if you're straight bi or gay, I saw a nurse called becki, she examined my bits the glands etc.. took a urethral swab, blood and urine .. , free condoms collected,

results back in two weeks, I'm ringing in the next day or so to check ..

"Because of my job i am tested every 28 days, for guys its a throat swap/water sample/blood test then a week to find out your results.

I need a written letter/cert so i have to take a passport with me and my numbers wrote down and when i pick up my letter i need the same ID again so they know its me who as taken the test.

Its always friendly and confidential and regular attendance is advisable if you are meeting multiple partners.

"

are u a sex worker then ? a friend who is has to be tested and given certs re the all clear

"I attended a clinic in Bradford its free parking, Leeds isn't... Questions along the lines of how many, regular or casual partners .. type of sex if you're straight bi or gay, I saw a nurse called becki, she examined my bits the glands etc.. took a urethral swab, blood and urine .. , free condoms collected,

results back in two weeks, I'm ringing in the next day or so to check .. "

I forgot they also asked if I'd ever paid for or been paid for sex.. that's no and I struggle to give it away..

"I attended a clinic in Bradford its free parking, Leeds isn't... Questions along the lines of how many, regular or casual partners .. type of sex if you're straight bi or gay, I saw a nurse called becki, she examined my bits the glands etc.. took a urethral swab, blood and urine .. , free condoms collected,

results back in two weeks, I'm ringing in the next day or so to check .. "

The one in Bradford has free parking? Thanks for the tip

-Courtney

Be honest they have heard it all before x

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks.

By *ause and EffectCouple  over a year ago

Southampton

The GUM in Southampton is slightly different (not enormously!!) there's a drop in clinic which takes forever (longest wait was 6 hours) so it's best to make an appointment. Questions over who and what and when are same but if you don't have any symptoms you do the internal swab yourself. I always ask for throat and bloods too as they don't always offer them! Tx

"Can someone please tell us how it works and what sort of questions they ask.

And what do people tell them?

Thanks "

They will ask about your sexual history since your last test.

Tell them *everything* and answer every question honestly.

Best to be totally honest about your sexual activity or they might not feel obliged to test for everything.

If you don't have symptoms then you'll do your own swabs and they take blood.

At my clinic they give results after 2 weeks, sooner if any concerns.

It's all good and absolutely nothing to worry about.

At the clinic I attend you can go there for lots of reasons not just coz you think you have an sti. They do smear tests and contraception so nothing to be embarrassed about

So far i have always used my GP service for testing however i would prefer to go to a clinic but when i googled it they were only for 14 to 19 year olds locally !!

I forgot about the free condoms .... and they give them out in very discreet cute little pastel coloured gift bags. One bag for most people, two bags for swingers .

The condoms aren't that great, though. I still buy Durex for use with regular partners, and keep the cheapo GUM clinic ones for men at clubs who have 'forgotten' to bring their own.

"So far i have always used my GP service for testing however i would prefer to go to a clinic but when i googled it they were only for 14 to 19 year olds locally !!"

You are very lucky if your GP does STI testing - most do not!

"So far i have always used my GP service for testing however i would prefer to go to a clinic but when i googled it they were only for 14 to 19 year olds locally !!

You are very lucky if your GP does STI testing - most do not!"

I'm very lucky indeed.

results back in two weeks, I'm ringing in the next day or so to check ..

The one in Bradford has free parking? Thanks for the tip

-Courtney "

Yep ...it's moving soon. (Summer time). no free parking then..

We're off for our first appointment at our local one tomorrow. This (and other) threads have been very useful in making the decision to be screened and continue to as well.

You just have to take your teeth out and smile

And don't forget to time your time to give a urine sample..or you can be waiting for at least another hour until the next one arrives

The bit that bothers me is the waiting room. I know looking after your sexual health is important but hate to see someone I know.

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

"I forgot about the free condoms .... and they give them out in very discreet cute little pastel coloured gift bags. One bag for most people, two bags for swingers .

The condoms aren't that great, though. I still buy Durex for use with regular partners, and keep the cheapo GUM clinic ones for men at clubs who have 'forgotten' to bring their own."

Surely you'd be better to use the better ones at clubs...

"The bit that bothers me is the waiting room. I know looking after your sexual health is important but hate to see someone I know.

"

Thats why I send the Mrs.

In terms of my experience it is similar to the above.

They only call you by your first name which is what you would expect but thought would just say. You get asked numerous questions and depending on your sexual orientation/preferences the tests will differ but most tests for men are via a wee sample which you do in a private room. You can also have anal and oral swabs (again depending on your orientation).

I haven't openly admitted to swinging to them but do say I have regular casual sex. They do dumb it down a bit at times but of course they are only doing their job.

In terms of privacy, I don't believe the records automatically go to your GP unless you allow for this. I might be wrong

By *oiluvfunMan  over a year ago

Penrith

Popped in to my local clinic this afternoon, for the third and final Hepatitis jab, so hopefully now I'll be immune Apart from that, it's all very friendly, confidential, and non-judgemental

"The bit that bothers me is the waiting room. I know looking after your sexual health is important but hate to see someone I know.

"

I use the same clinic for contraception, smear tests etc - and you can tell who is there for std tests vs other appointments by whether they are called by a number or just opt for their name. Not that anyone cares, it's all self obsessed students at the one I go to.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

I only see the nurse, she does all my swabs, bloods and info. Only see the Dr for family planning.

By *andJCouple  over a year ago

fun town

Thats why I send the Mrs. "

Even if Mrs comes back all clear you could still be not clear!

STDs lay dorm in body's when I went to get checked they told me its best the hubby does aswll even tho I got clear he still could carry a std and may have not yet passed onto me! So both are best to get tested

I have regular tests for peace of mind ,it's so simple ,I have a doctor and nurse in the room ,they don't ask questions as I tell them it's for check up ,I do have safe sex any way ,.and the results are text to me on mobile ..

Thats why I send the Mrs.

Even if Mrs comes back all clear you could still be not clear!

STDs lay dorm in body's when I went to get checked they told me its best the hubby does aswll even tho I got clear he still could carry a std and may have not yet passed onto me! So both are best to get tested "

It was a joke

By *imon and saffyCouple  over a year ago

southampton

We went to the Royal South Hants on Saturday, by appointment.

They saw us individually. They asked lots of qu. About who we had slept with (lol no names) in the last 3 months.

If you display symptoms you will be examined, but as we don't, they didn't this time.

Saffy had a swab taken internally and around the clitoris, and we both had throat swabs and bloods taken.

They were totally non judgemental, we were honest and told them we swung. It was really pleasant to be honest.

Results are text / emailed (your preference) within 2 weeks.

We intend to go back regularly. Life is too short to risk anything.

southampton

Oh, meant to say, nothing goes to your GP but they ask permissiom to contact them if they need info for further treatment if necessary.

By *estmidscoupleCouple  over a year ago

West Midlands

we get tested in Shrewsbury, can only echo the many who say how professional and kind they are.Well worth it for the peace of mind, good luck OP

By *lactontogMan  over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

"Because of my job i am tested every 28 days, for guys its a throat swap/water sample/blood test then a week to find out your results.

are u a sex worker then ? a friend who is has to be tested and given certs re the all clear "

Yes i produce adult movies with my wife & usually i am in them too so yes i am a sex worker of sorts.

"

It's a genito urinary clinic.. not just for sexual health screening.. you could say you were there with a bladder infection if you saw anyone you knew.. Just say its quicker and easier than getting to see a doctor these days! that's my plan and have used it.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"

Ours has 1 male receptionist & I used to work with him!!

Our GUM is located at the far end of X-Ray dept down an almost secret corridor!! They also do all the relevant tests for IVF treatment so not everyone there for reasons you may think

By *atnat85Woman  over a year ago

northwest

"In terms of my experience it is similar to the above.

In terms of privacy, I don't believe the records automatically go to your GP unless you allow for this. I might be wrong"

You're correct. Your GP is only informed if you give permission for it.

By *otgirl32Woman  over a year ago

Ashton Under Lyne

I'm a regular at my GUM clinic, get tested frequently. I see the nurse every time. Each time it's always the same questions - number of partners, unprotected sex etc. I always answer quite honestly and each time I get the same "Gail, you know you shouldn't be doing that ........" routine ! It's all in the name of giving advice. NEVER felt I was being judged or looked down upon ever. I think they do a fab job.

"Surely you'd be better to use the better ones at clubs..."

Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. The free condoms from GUM clinic are bombproof, fireproof, very strong ... but men say that they don't get a very good sensation when using them. So, with my regular partners, we choose a more expensive brand, which gives the man a better sensation.

The more expensive brand isn't better because it's safer, it's better because it gives an improved sensation for the man. And if a man at a club hasn't brought his own condoms, why should I pay for more expensive ones? He can have the cheap-but-strong free ones from the GUM clinic.

"In terms of my experience it is similar to the above.

In terms of privacy, I don't believe the records automatically go to your GP unless you allow for this. I might be wrong

You're correct. Your GP is only informed if you give permission for it.

"

Many will not inform the GP at all. When I had to have an HIV test and asked for a record of me having it done to be sent to my GP, I was told that they don't tell the GP anything, but they will give you the results for you to take to your GP if you want to.

It's a genito urinary clinic.. not just for sexual health screening.. you could say you were there with a bladder infection if you saw anyone you knew.. Just say its quicker and easier than getting to see a doctor these days! that's my plan and have used it.

"

Some are sexual health clinics, not GUM clinics. Although I was sent to the sexual health clinic after a needle-stick injury when I was working once, because the sexual health clinic results were quicker than anywhere else.

By *ola.Woman  over a year ago

Just where I need to be.

Mine is a sexual health clinic. The downside is that it is walk in no prearranged appointments. Dentist department share the area as well. Never any fuss,nurse takes all my details and get my goody bag. Results usually 10 days by text.

By *manda63Woman  over a year ago

Southampton

"We went to the Royal South Hants on Saturday, by appointment.

They saw us individually. They asked lots of qu. About who we had slept with (lol no names) in the last 3 months.

If you display symptoms you will be examined, but as we don't, they didn't this time.

Saffy had a swab taken internally and around the clitoris, and we both had throat swabs and bloods taken.

They were totally non judgemental, we were honest and told them we swung. It was really pleasant to be honest.

Results are text / emailed (your preference) within 2 weeks.

We intend to go back regularly. Life is too short to risk anything. "

I've had vaginal and mouth swabs done with my gp nurse and urine test too. I didn't know they did Saturdays at South Hants, bit naive of me really

Not all stds come with symptoms if u there get tested then that what happen , most of you mention judgemental , it a gum clinic why judge and as for others in waitin room they there as well , , and if it just to be sure why worry , they swap vagina , why clit ? Not sexual , If have std no need for blood saliva or genital area enough ,

southampton

She explained that some STI bacteria can linger around the urethra and in the folds of the clit hood.

I wouldn't dream of questionning why, they are the experts, they know what they're doing!!

The one near me has a kids dental surgery there too!!!

Our first trip went really well today.

They wanted to see us separately initially but Mandy was a little nervous about it all and they jiggled everything about so I could accompany her.

We were shown into the nurses room and today we also had a student doctor in training. We started on the questions and I was honest from the start, explaining we were exploring a swinging lifestyle. The nurse was not fazed by it in any way and did understand a great deal about what it involved. Mandy swabbed herself vaginally and they did her throat swabs.

Myself was slightly different. I explained my transitioned status and asked if they had encountered others. The nurse explained that they had but felt that proportionally it was lower than it should be. Because the student doctor had never seen a reconstructed set of genitals, I offered her the opportunity to scrutinise what I had. So I got to have my vagina swabbed for me and they were very grateful for the "guided tour"! My throat was also done and then it was off to another nurse for bloods and advice. Again, it was more talk of me being transitioned that was the theme and they seem very grateful for someone that would explain things. They'd not come across anyone as open as I can be.

So it was a good two way appointment, I did some education and we got screened and picked up our lube and condoms. They said we were well informed, doing everything we could to be as safe as possible and that visiting them every three months was a very good decision. We left feeling that we had not been judged in any way, at least not to our faces.

» Add a new message to this topic