FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Is this site secure?

Is this site secure?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *john121 OP   Man  over a year ago

staffs

Not sure where to post this so here will have to do:

Just googled a postcode on an meet advert to check location and the whole meet advert is on google?

Should this happen?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

http://www.fabswingers.com/my/privacy

I am guessing the people havn't used their privacy settings.

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

As Rugby says if they haven't set their profile to be registered users only (or hidden from search engine spiders) then it's available for anyone to see.

Privacy options here:

That said, it's worth remembering that anyone can join for free and view anyone's profile. This is why we recommend people don't put private or personal details on their profile. This is sensible anywhere on Interweb.

Admin x

By *inkershoes69Woman  over a year ago

maidstone

omg! just checked my settings, but its ok x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"omg! just checked my settings, but its ok x "

so have I and changed them

By *ugartitsandhimCouple  over a year ago

North West

I'll say its secure.... Once your in you will never get out AGAIN !!!! ha ha ha

staffs

"omg! just checked my settings, but its ok x

so have I and changed them "

Sorry for the scare but I don't think enough people realise they should be doing this!

I think a message sent to all every month from the site would be a good idea.

It may be each persons own responsibility to look after their account but we all know only to well if it looks long winded they won't pay any attention

Just a thought

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

Sorry for the scare but I don't think enough people realise they should be doing this!

It may be each persons own responsibility to look after their account but we all know only to well if it looks long winded they won't pay any attention

Just a thought"

Is is an adult site,i dont see why adults need to be treated like children. Put anything on the interweb with an assessment of the risks you are personally willing to take.

Just a thought

Is is an adult site,i dont see why adults need to be treated like children. Put anything on the interweb with an assessment of the risks you are personally willing to take.

"

Nods in agreement!

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

No, it's not totally secure, no internet site ever can be. We saw a pic of us and friends from our private pics here on Tumblr, with the fab logo, so people will re-post pics, that's why we don't show our friends' faces.

staffs

[Removed by poster at 14/12/11 21:00:04]

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

thank you ,just checked and altered my settings,im not computor savvy,bit of a technophobe

staffs

Just a thought

Nods in agreement! "

Not every one may be as Internet savvy as your good self and if only one person changes their settings it's a good idea..

staffs

"thank you ,just checked and altered my settings,im not computor savvy,bit of a technophobe"

You're welcome

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

Just a thought

Nods in agreement! "

A very big nod from here too! Seems that so many people these days don't want to take responsibility for their own actions and want someone else to do it for them.

Anyone who is on any site, especially a site like this should make sure they know what they are doing and check out all rules and security!!

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

if it's so vital that everyone ticks the privacy box, why is it an optional setting?

(Rhetorical question)

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Well I've just googled me and I didn't appear, so I did something right

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

"As Rugby says if they haven't set their profile to be registered users only (or hidden from search engine spiders) then it's available for anyone to see.

Privacy options here:

That said, it's worth remembering that anyone can join for free and view anyone's profile. This is why we recommend people don't put private or personal details on their profile. This is sensible anywhere on Interweb.

Admin x"

Hi Admin..

As a suggestion, is it possible that this option could be set as 'no' as default on the 'show profile to non registered users' and 'showing in search engines'

(if it isnt already)

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Let's face it, not everyone reads the small print, same as not everyone will click on every button to see whats behind it.

For anyone who wants to use the privacy buttons here is a reminder of where you will find them.

My account/ blue meun to the left/ Privacy....or copy and paste this link.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

* menu

I think that the site is very secure... its that secure no one can see our profile and cant mail us..... either that or were ugler fuckers

S.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

Just a thought

Nods in agreement!

Not every one may be as Internet savvy as your good self and if only one person changes their settings it's a good idea.."

pmsl at internet savvy, i am a victorian, anyone who knows me can tell you that i still find mobiles hard to use and get my 11 year old to do anything techy.

What i can do is read and take responsibility for my actions.

By *unterslickCouple  over a year ago

tullamore

"http://www.fabswingers.com/my/privacy

I am guessing the people havn't used their privacy settings."

what about the https,,not new but often forgotten,,

and if you have said it up before my post,,then please punish me lol.

that was hard lol

see below

Phew thanks for the tip, all and sundry could see ma boobs on google hee hee

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"Phew thanks for the tip, all and sundry could see ma boobs on google street view hee hee "

maidstone

ive just checked mine, its not showing my account but takes me straight into the forums!! i dont understand it

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"ive just checked mine, its not showing my account but takes me straight into the forums!! i dont understand it "

Forums aren't locked on here. However. it hides your user pics and details to non-members.

maidstone

phew thanx

have read a lot of the posts on the forum, always interesting, thankyou have learnt a LOT but phew this was one scary.....i mean who does read the small print?? i have changed our settings, thankyou very much x x

staffs

"have read a lot of the posts on the forum, always interesting, thankyou have learnt a LOT but phew this was one scary.....i mean who does read the small print?? i have changed our settings, thankyou very much x x "

Your welcome

staffs

"ive just checked mine, its not showing my account but takes me straight into the forums!! i dont understand it

Forums aren't locked on here. However. it hides your user pics and details to non-members. "

Just so you know I searched for someone who's used the privacy setting and I found them on google through another persons profile on the forums and they were a verification of someone else.

That tells me that if you verify someone who hasn't checked the privacy despite you selecting you will be visible.

By *un_JuiceCouple  over a year ago

Nr Chester

Fuck 'em

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"ive just checked mine, its not showing my account but takes me straight into the forums!! i dont understand it

Forums aren't locked on here. However. it hides your user pics and details to non-members.

Just so you know I searched for someone who's used the privacy setting and I found them on google through another persons profile on the forums and they were a verification of someone else.

That tells me that if you verify someone who hasn't checked the privacy despite you selecting you will be visible.

"

Yes, this is true. But unless those people want privacy there isn't anything you can do other than ask the person not to show your veri.

staffs

Yes, this is true. But unless those people want privacy there isn't anything you can do other than ask the person not to show your veri."

That's why it should be mandatory and if you decide to uncheck it your profile should have a 'flag' to show you deselected the privacy settings

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

A lot of this comes down to, "who is going to be googling your username on here". If they know your username on here, then they are already on here.

Unless you use the same username for an adult site (this one) as you do for other stuff e.g. your email address / other sites.

If that's the case it's not a great idea. You're better off changing your username.

Admin x

staffs

"A lot of this comes down to, "who is going to be googling your username on here". If they know your username on here, then they are already on here.

Unless you use the same username for an adult site (this one) as you do for other stuff e.g. your email address / other sites.

If that's the case it's not a great idea. You're better off changing your username.

Admin x"

What brought this about was a post code in a meet advert, so checked location on google.

That then led to a profile and everyone else's profile who'd verified and of course it snow balls from there, regardless of your choice to select privacy!

So either all meets should be verified for no post codes in the adverts/profiles or no postcodes in meet sections, or don't verify anyone!

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"A lot of this comes down to, "who is going to be googling your username on here". If they know your username on here, then they are already on here.

Admin x

What brought this about was a post code in a meet advert, so checked location on google.

That then led to a profile and everyone else's profile who'd verified and of course it snow balls from there, regardless of your choice to select privacy!

So either all meets should be verified for no post codes in the adverts/profiles or no postcodes in meet sections, or don't verify anyone! "

There comes a point where you have to accept that this site is open to all, for free. Anyone who wants to can register and look around to see who are swingers nearby them. "Privacy" is best protected by using sensible precautions like not uploading face pics, if that's your preference.

Admin x

staffs

Admin x

So either all meets should be verified for no post codes in the adverts/profiles or no postcodes in meet sections, or don't verify anyone!

There comes a point where you have to accept that this site is open to all, for free. Anyone who wants to can register and look around to see who are swingers nearby them. "Privacy" is best protected by using sensible precautions like not uploading face pics, if that's your preference.

Admin x"

You still don't get it

People who select privacy expect exactly that.

If by verifying someone you don't get privacy the system is flawed.

ATP making excuses, we don't have to accept. Privacy is privacy.

I for one will not be verifying anyone else and personally would recommend anyone else who has similar concerns not to do so.

Any of those people who have selected privacy doesn't have it.

Surely that isn't right?

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"

You still don't get it

I for one will not be verifying anyone else and personally would recommend anyone else who has similar concerns not to do so.

Surely that isn't right?"

Have you said the same to all the other sites that you're a member of too?

As when you google your username there are over 80 results and it's easy to see which other swinging, dating and general sites _john121 from Staffs is a member of!

staffs

"

You still don't get it

Surely that isn't right?

Have you said the same to all the other sites that you're a member of too?

As when you google your username there are over 80 results and it's easy to see which other swinging, dating and general sites _john121 from Staffs is a member of! "

For those that are finding it hard to comprehend:

Should Searching a postcode take you to a swing site? And in doing so take you to profiles that have selected privacy for their own profiles.

If you knew via a 'flag' that if you verify someone it won't be private you have a choice.

"privacy not selected verifications visible"

look through those who've responded, checked their profiles and changed their settings.

The privacy setting does not live up to the word privacy.

If this was your bank details would u be so accepting!

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"

For those that are finding it hard to comprehend:

Should Searching a postcode take you to a swing site? And in doing so take you to profiles that have selected privacy for their own profiles.

If you knew via a 'flag' that if you verify someone it won't be private you have a choice.

"privacy not selected verifications visible"

look through those who've responded, checked their profiles and changed their settings.

The privacy setting does not live up to the word privacy.

If this was your bank details would u be so accepting!

"

I didn't find it hard to comprehend

I just asked if you had asked the same of all the other sites you're a member of?

staffs

"Search engines: We let you opt out of having your profile listed on search engines like google. If you change this option your profile may take a couple of weeks to disappear from search listings: We have no control over this."

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"

I just asked if you had asked the same of all the other sites you're a member of?"

guess his answer must be no else he'd have already replied in the positive

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"If by verifying someone you don't get privacy the system is flawed.

Surely that isn't right?"

Just to help us understand here, what are you concerned about? Are you concerned that your verifications that you have given to someone who chooses to keep their profile open to unregistered site users, are still visible?

This isn't a criticism we're just trying to understand exactly what your concern is. It may be we can fix it if there is a problem.

Admin x

staffs

Surely that isn't right?

Just to help us understand here, what are you concerned about? Are you concerned that your verifications that you have given to someone who chooses to keep their profile open to unregistered site users, are still visible?

This isn't a criticism we're just trying to understand exactly what your concern is. It may be we can fix it if there is a problem.

Admin x "

At last and Thank you! Its nothing to do with my profile or any other sites I may or may not be on, for those asking re my profile.

Yes the concern is as you have said:

If You have selected privacy, you then verify someone who hasn't and you profile is then visible through theirs on google.

As I said I searched a post code advertised on a meet to check location and in doing so Google brought up the PCode with the meet next to it.

Clicked on the google link and it showed the profile, the meet and all verifications which you could then go straight to and view the other individual profiles and I know at least one of those has chosen privacy as they've commented to me here.

So should privacy be a mandatory with an opt out and should those who opt out of privacy have some sort of 'flag' so you know should you verify them your pir will also be on google?

Thanks admin team

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

Surely that isn't right?

Admin x

At last and Thank you! Its nothing to do with my profile or any other sites I may or may not be on, for those asking re my profile.

If You have selected privacy, you then verify someone who hasn't and you profile is then visible through theirs on google.

As I said I searched a post code advertised on a meet to check location and in doing so Google brought up the PCode with the meet next to it.

Clicked on the google link and it showed the profile, the meet and all verifications which you could then go straight to and view the other individual profiles and I know at least one of those has chosen privacy as they've commented to me here.

So should privacy be a mandatory with an opt out and should those who opt out of privacy have some sort of 'flag' so you know should you verify them your pir will also be on google?

Thanks admin team "

We're still not 100% sure what you mean here. If you were logged in you'll have been able to click through to any profiles and see them - doesn't matter if you came from google or direct to the site.

If you are NOT logged in on the site (as anyone who uses google but not the site, or as search engines see the site) then you wouldn't be able to click through to the "hidden" (via privacy) profiles.

If you have hidden your profile from non reg'd users it will be hidden. The only thing that "might" be visible is the verification you left. Is it the verification you're concerned about or your profile?

Try logging out of the site and repeating your experiment.

Does that make sense or just muddy the waters further?

Admin x

Forum Mod

O o O oo

""Search engines: We let you opt out of having your profile listed on search engines like google. If you change this option your profile may take a couple of weeks to disappear from search listings: We have no control over this."

"

You can also use this privacy setting from the same page.

"Show profile to non-registered users: You can opt to only have your entire profile page hidden from anyone who isn't a member (also hides it from search engines)."

If you use both , although the verification might show on another persons profile, if they try and view your profile non registered people won't be able to see it.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

oh, would have saved me typing if I had read to the bottom first

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

"oh, would have saved me typing if I had read to the bottom first "

takes note not to leave a Post It on backside as Ruggers clearly never gets that far to find it

Forum Mod

O o O oo

staffs

Surely that isn't right?

Admin x

Thanks admin team

We're still not 100% sure what you mean here. If you were logged in you'll have been able to click through to any profiles and see them - doesn't matter if you came from google or direct to the site.

If you are NOT logged in on the site (as anyone who uses google but not the site, or as search engines see the site) then you wouldn't be able to click through to the "hidden" (via privacy) profiles.

If you have hidden your profile from non reg'd users it will be hidden. The only thing that "might" be visible is the verification you left. Is it the verification you're concerned about or your profile?

Try logging out of the site and repeating your experiment.

Does that make sense or just muddy the waters further?

Admin x"

Wahoo!

OK, tried from another PC onto google and nothing appeared! Tried bing and up came the postcode plus advert as it did previously,however, the pics are now blurred! Yes you can see the prof as you've described in the way non members would but no pics!

So perhaps last week was a 'glitch in the machine!'

After all there's no way being logged in to fab on my phone that could be recognised by a desktop on a completely diff network."

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"

After all there's no way being logged in to fab on my phone that could be recognised by a desktop on a completely diff network.""

What you describe is what we expect. Glad it also seems OK to you. Let us know if it happens again. Don't forget to check "logged in" status - you'll see a "logout" bar at top right.

Admin x

» Add a new message to this topic