FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Obesity playing a major part in fatalities of Corona.

Obesity playing a major part in fatalities of Corona.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What a load of absolute bullshit, the disease is indiscriminate and targets anyone and everyone doesn't matter what size, weight, height, colour, rich or poor .. ..

It's just another fear monger campaign for society to body shame again it's a bloody joke.

there are some large people that are fit and healthy just because they're not size 0 and athletic in the eyes of said "health experts" they're victimised again..

Does this frustrate anyone else?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"What a load of absolute bullshit, the disease is indiscriminate and targets anyone and everyone doesn't matter what size, weight, height, colour, rich or poor .. ..

It's just another fear monger campaign for society to body shame again it's a bloody joke.

there are some large people that are fit and healthy just because they're not size 0 and athletic in the eyes of said "health experts" they're victimised again..

"

I think there has been a fair bit of research that suggests poor people have suffered more.

I don’t think it discriminates in terms of who it infects but I have heard that an awful lot of the ‘younger’ fatalities have been pretty fat fuckers I think.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"

I don’t think it discriminates in terms of who it infects but I have heard that an awful lot of the ‘younger’ fatalities have been pretty fat fuckers I think."

pretty fat fuckers... wow....

"

I don’t think it discriminates in terms of who it infects but I have heard that an awful lot of the ‘younger’ fatalities have been pretty fat fuckers I think. pretty fat fuckers... wow.... "

Is this not the case? I think obesity has played a part where fatalities have occurred in some cases. Apologies if this isn’t the case

By *osebud6688Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

"What a load of absolute bullshit, the disease is indiscriminate and targets anyone and everyone doesn't matter what size, weight, height, colour, rich or poor .. ..

I think there has been a fair bit of research that suggests poor people have suffered more.

I don’t think it discriminates in terms of who it infects but I have heard that an awful lot of the ‘younger’ fatalities have been pretty fat fuckers I think."

Trolling is so basic. Level up.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Some people just crave attention

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Obese people are more likely to have diabetes/pre diabetes (maybe undiagnosed) and/or cardiovascular disease (again diagnosed or undiagnosed). That's not ALL obese people, but many. We know Covid is substantially a cardiovascular disease and so any cardiovascular risk factors (including diabetes) means someone is high risk. Having a BMI over 40 is on the "extremely clinically vulnerable" list.

Cardiovascular problems and diabetes are not exclusive to obese people. Elderly people of any weight are also very likely to have some degree of cardiovascular disease, hence why being old is also a strong risk factor.

Bit rude and harsh and down right heartless. Wonder what you look like.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

It's about how your lungs cope if you get admitted to ITU.

Apparently, they get compressed by the fat when you have to lay in a bed.

I read of one man having a heart attack when the staff had to turn him on his front to ease the pressure on his lungs.

Because I'm obese I have more risk of not surviving if I'm admitted to ITU.

I have good lungs and no breathing problems so I'm hoping that won't be the case, if I do catch it.

"It's about how your lungs cope if you get admitted to ITU.

Apparently, they get compressed by the fat when you have to lay in a bed.

I read of one man having a heart attack when the staff had to turn him on his front to ease the pressure on his lungs.

Because I'm obese I have more risk of not surviving if I'm admitted to ITU.

I have good lungs and no breathing problems so I'm hoping that won't be the case, if I do catch it.

"

This happened to my friend. Heart attack in similar circumstances. Only late 40 s but smoked and quite a big lady. Non the less so very sad. I hope I dnt get it. Im very healthy but have experienced a dreadful viral infection 3 years ago very similar. Not regained my taste or smell. If it had been around id have sworn it was covid but not past on so cant have been

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

It certainly made me take responsibility and cut a bit of timber.

It’s probably the fact I’m past 40 and confronted my own mortality not so long ago as well.

It’s a serious point already undermined in this thread.

By *inkerbell67Woman  over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Its strange how the tv presenters husband has been in itu for nearly a year with covid, and everyone else seems to have not long in there ...

By *aughty Two999Couple  over a year ago

Anytown

[Removed by poster at 26/01/21 23:29:23]

Lung or heart damage pre existing, there can be many reasons for this.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

It's a bacterial infection and given how bacteria spreads it mutates rapidly growing like some in heat and body produces this but at certain temperature can be controlled or even killed...

East London

"It certainly made me take responsibility and cut a bit of timber.

It’s probably the fact I’m past 40 and confronted my own mortality not so long ago as well.

It’s a serious point already undermined in this thread. "

Ironically, as I've been staying home and keeping away from people I've put on a couple of stone.

So, in trying to keep myself safe I've actually made myself more likely to die.

I think I'm one of those Covidiots I keep reading about.

North West

"It's a bacterial infection and given how bacteria spreads it mutates rapidly growing like some in heat and body produces this but at certain temperature can be controlled or even killed..."

What a load of completely scientifically inaccurate tosh

North West

"Its strange how the tv presenters husband has been in itu for nearly a year with covid, and everyone else seems to have not long in there ..."

How is it weird and what ulterior point are you trying to suggest?

East London

"Its strange how the tv presenters husband has been in itu for nearly a year with covid, and everyone else seems to have not long in there ..."

I believe he was put into a coma to give his lungs a rest and now can't wake up, even though he's out of the coma.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It's a bacterial infection and given how bacteria spreads it mutates rapidly growing like some in heat and body produces this but at certain temperature can be controlled or even killed...

What a load of completely scientifically inaccurate tosh "

I thought similarly, I can only imagine how much worse you felt

North West

"It's a bacterial infection and given how bacteria spreads it mutates rapidly growing like some in heat and body produces this but at certain temperature can be controlled or even killed...

I thought similarly, I can only imagine how much worse you felt "

I found that physically painful to read. Utter claptrap

By *extravagantWoman  over a year ago

Leatherhead

"

Science and statistics do not support your argument.

The virus does not body shame, it looks for biological opportunities.

Such a charmer.

Newcastle

I thought similarly, I can only imagine how much worse you felt "

Obviously you don't understand the method to kill bacteria nor understand the virus unless from picking up information via the net but your entitled to your opinion and I'll keep my understanding

By *oelDorianMan  over a year ago

vanaheim

"It's a bacterial infection and given how bacteria spreads it mutates rapidly growing like some in heat and body produces this but at certain temperature can be controlled or even killed..."

Hold my beer SARS Cov-2 also known as covid 19 is not a bacterial infection it’s a viral infection.

vanaheim

Obviously you don't understand the method to kill bacteria nor understand the virus unless from picking up information via the net but your entitled to your opinion and I'll keep my understanding "

If you are going to quote the internet for information find a reliable source

Manchester (she/her)

Obviously you don't understand the method to kill bacteria nor understand the virus unless from picking up information via the net but your entitled to your opinion and I'll keep my understanding "

A virus causes a bacterial infection. Umm. Ok.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I don't know where the OP gets this from but it's ideal only to follow published credible scientific evidence, rather than stories from many outlets with an hidden agenda.

On the day 100,000 people in total have died, it's clear that the UK has failed dismally. Look only at the top for where full accountability lies. Don't get misdirected. This is chronic failure of the leader

Manchester (she/her)

"I don't know where the OP gets this from but it's ideal only to follow published credible scientific evidence, rather than stories from many outlets with an hidden agenda.

On the day 100,000 people in total have died, it's clear that the UK has failed dismally. Look only at the top for where full accountability lies. Don't get misdirected. This is chronic failure of the leader"

Newcastle

Obviously you don't understand the method to kill bacteria nor understand the virus unless from picking up information via the net but your entitled to your opinion and I'll keep my understanding

A virus causes a bacterial infection. Umm. Ok."

The virus has a bacterial growth that mutates unlike common cold or flu viruses

North West

Hold my beer SARS Cov-2 also known as covid 19 is not a bacterial infection it’s a viral infection. "

Joel, I've got your beer mate

Manchester (she/her)

My understanding is that obesity is a risk factor, OP. That's not a shaming statement any more than "asthma is a risk factor" or "old age is a risk factor". At least that's not how I'm intending it.

The virus has a bacterial growth that mutates unlike common cold or flu viruses"

I wonder if Chris Whitty knows this.

vanaheim

The virus has a bacterial growth that mutates unlike common cold or flu viruses"

For example, a population of E. coli bacteria will mutate at about one-tenth the rate of Herpes viruses and about one-thousandth the rate of coronaviruses like SARS and MERS

"

Yes but getting less so. It's not worth it.

Manchester (she/her)

Flu viruses don't mutate?

Umm...

North West

I wonder if Chris Whitty knows this. "

I'm sure he doesn't. He's only the Chief Medical Officer. What the fuck would he know?!

Send him an email

vanaheim

This just makes me want to play the game plague inc

I wonder if Chris Whitty knows this.

I'm sure he doesn't. He's only the Chief Medical Officer. What the fuck would he know?!

Send him an email "

He's never mentioned it on his graphs. He needs to get a clue.

I'll send him the link.

Central

Oh dear, oh dear. Too much internet for the day?

North West

"Oh dear, oh dear. Too much internet for the day? "

WAY too much

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok keep it civil and don't attack people please

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Erm... Maybe nobody has told you, or possibly you just didn't get the memo, but Mrs KC is actually a microbiologist, she is our resident expert on covid and other diseases.

It is really embarrassing to read somebody using word salad to mansplain a thing they very obviously understand nothing of, to somebody that has spent years studying and working in the field.

How about for an encore you explain General Relativity to Albert Einstein, you tell Stephen Hawking that he knows nothing about black holes, and you show Timothy Berners-Lee your design for a better world wide web...

Erm... Maybe nobody has told you, or possibly you just didn't get the memo, but Mrs KC is actually a microbiologist, she is our resident expert on covid and other diseases.

It is really embarrassing to read somebody using word salad to mansplain a thing they very obviously understand nothing of, to somebody that has spent years studying and working in the field.

How about for an encore you explain General Relativity to Albert Einstein, you tell Stephen Hawking that he knows nothing about black holes, and you show Timothy Berners-Lee your design for a better world wide web..."

Someone in here is actually a microbiologist? are you being serious lol

Newcastle

When a virus replicates or makes copies of itself, it sometimes changes a little bit. These changes are called “mutations.” A virus with one or several new mutations is referred to as a “variant” of the original virus.

The more viruses circulate, the more they may change. These changes can occasionally result in a virus variant that is better adapted to its environment compared to the original virus. This process of changing and selection of successful variants is called “virus evolution.”

Some mutations can lead to changes in a virus’s characteristics, such as altered transmission (for example, it may spread more easily) or severity (for example, it may cause more severe disease).

Some viruses change quickly and others more slowly. SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19, tends to change more slowly than others such as HIV or influenza viruses. This could in part be explained by the virus’s internal “proofreading mechanism” which can correct “mistakes” when it makes copies of itself.

"When a virus replicates or makes copies of itself, it sometimes changes a little bit. These changes are called “mutations.” A virus with one or several new mutations is referred to as a “variant” of the original virus.

The more viruses circulate, the more they may change. These changes can occasionally result in a virus variant that is better adapted to its environment compared to the original virus. This process of changing and selection of successful variants is called “virus evolution.”

Some mutations can lead to changes in a virus’s characteristics, such as altered transmission (for example, it may spread more easily) or severity (for example, it may cause more severe disease).

Some viruses change quickly and others more slowly. SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19, tends to change more slowly than others such as HIV or influenza viruses. This could in part be explained by the virus’s internal “proofreading mechanism” which can correct “mistakes” when it makes copies of itself.

"

Anyone who doesn't know that was taken from here

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/sars-cov-2-evolution

Obesity makes any respiratory disease harder to treat. Covid isn't a bacterial disease its a virus. Bacterial diseases can be treated with anti biotics.. Viruses can't.

Covid19 is a terrible virus. It is predominately a respiratory disease but also affects the organs. Like my relative said to me. 'when you put two or more people in body bags in one day, you question the ignorance of people'

Newcastle

A meta-analysis of 24 cohort studies of 3338 hospitalized patients with COVID-19 found that

bacterial co-infection (estimated on presentation) was identified in 3.5% of patients (95%

Confidence Interval (CI)0.4 to 6.7%) and secondary bacterial infection (after presentation) was

identified in 14.3% of patients (95%CI 9.6 to 18.9%). The overall proportion of COVID-19 patients

with bacterial infection was 6.9% (95%CI 4.3 to 9.5%).

? Bacterial infection was more common in critically-ill patients (8.1%, 95%CI 2.3 to 13.8%).

? The majority of patients with COVID-19 received antibiotics (71.9%, 95%CI 56.1 to 87.7%) which

tend to be broad-spectrum agents. However, as bacterial co-infection is relatively infrequent in

hospitalized patients with COVID-19, the majority of these patients may not require empiric

antibiotics, particularly those without critical illness.

Stockport

How about for an encore you explain General Relativity to Albert Einstein, you tell Stephen Hawking that he knows nothing about black holes, and you show Timothy Berners-Lee your design for a better world wide web...

Someone in here is actually a microbiologist? are you being serious lol"

Yes actually, very serious.

There's all sorts on fab.

By *uLou69Couple  over a year ago

Glos

Such a shallow and ignorant description!

There's all sorts on fab. "

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me

Newcastle

Bacterial co-infection in patients with acute viral respiratory infections such as influenza has been

associated with more severe illness, greater use of healthcare resources and increased risk of death.1

The rate of co-infection in severe influenza has been reported to be up to 20-30%.2- 3

The proportion and

characteristics of individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 and bacterial co-infection are not currently well

understood and this knowledge gap has important implications. While antibiotics are not effective for

treatment of COVID-19, current guidelines recommend the use of empiric antibiotics for patients with

severe COVID-19 disease based on data extrapolated from influenza pandemics.4-5

Understanding the

proportion of COVID-19 patients with bacterial infections, and the causative pathogens

Stockport

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me"

Baked confection named after a 19th century Italian nationalist?

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me

Baked confection named after a 19th century Italian nationalist?"

Off the top of my head, Garibaldi?

Stockport

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me

Off the top of my head, Garibaldi?"

Correct. What type of biscuit eats itself?

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me

Correct. What type of biscuit eats itself?"

Digestive?

Stockport

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me

Digestive?"

Correct. What type of biscuit cannot be picked up at the north pole?

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me

Digestive?

Correct. What type of biscuit cannot be picked up at the north pole?"

Antarctic cream? They're new

Stockport

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me

Digestive?

Antarctic cream? They're new"

Incorrect. Penguin. Can also be found at London zoo.

Is a jaffa cake a biscuit? Discuss. Try not to eat the whole packet.

Im even here

I'm a biscuit expert

Go on, test me

Digestive?

Antarctic cream? They're new

Incorrect. Penguin. Can also be found at London zoo.

Is a jaffa cake a biscuit? Discuss. Try not to eat the whole packet."

Whats the rule? Cakes go soft and biscuits go hard?

Or is it the other way around?

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

Sars-cov-2 attaches to and replicates easily in fat cells, the more fat cells you have the more viral load you will have, which is how it can overcome obese people with serious complications more efficiently than non obese people

"Sars-cov-2 attaches to and replicates easily in fat cells, the more fat cells you have the more viral load you will have, which is how it can overcome obese people with serious complications more efficiently than non obese people"

This is what I read too. That the overweight/obese people have more cells for the virus to get into. We have more fat around our organs too if we are overweight, so the earlier post about fat around the lungs is also correct. It's nothing to do with fat shaming.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

I will end up over weight if u keep talking about bicys

By *extasy19Couple  over a year ago

Northampton

"Sars-cov-2 attaches to and replicates easily in fat cells, the more fat cells you have the more viral load you will have, which is how it can overcome obese people with serious complications more efficiently than non obese people

This is what I read too. That the overweight/obese people have more cells for the virus to get into. We have more fat around our organs too if we are overweight, so the earlier post about fat around the lungs is also correct. It's nothing to do with fat shaming.

"

Yup, the very latest research published last Thursday in Nature, points to fatty liver, a pre-cursor to diabetes.

By *achel SmythTV/TS  over a year ago

Farnborough

OP ... you are right, COVID-19 does not discriminate who it infects ... spot on, however as others have pointed out, being overweight does increase the risk of dying from it, for again, reasons other have pointed out. It is fact that obesity increases risk of Diabetes, Heart Disease and Stroke .... all of which are causes clinical vulnerability, and increased risk of mortality in there own right... before the risk of catching COVID as added.

Several years ago I was obese, and had a health scare which shook me to the core. Bad lifestyle, poor diet, lack of exercise... all in there as the cause of my issue. I decided I wanted to minimise the risk of dying earlier than I might (it scared the shit out of me) and so turned my life around.... Lost 6 stone and now am as healthy as hell, good diet, regular exercise... ok still enjoying the Gin, but hey ho!!

I fully realise I am just as at risk of catching COVID as anyone else ... though try minimise that risk by abiding by ALL of the rules. However if I am unfortunate to contract COVID, I realise, age wise I am at an increased risk - which I can do nothing about. However by trying to be healthy in every other way, I will not eradicate the risk, but at least hopefully give me an improved chance of not dying from it!!

R xx

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Covid is viral, not bacterial.

There's all sorts on fab. "

I prefer wine gums to liquorice myself

They’ll probably blame smoking next

Let’s face it if you stub your toe and break it they ask do you smoke

Patient: yes

Doctor: stop and next time you stub your toe it won’t break

Ffs

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

Suggesting obese people aren't more likely to die of covid is like saying smokers aren't more likely to die of lung cancer, or alcoholics more like likely to die of liver disease. The link has been clearly demonstrated in the studies.

"

There are certain proven factors that increase risk, as mentioned in the thread. If someone is a healthier / healthy weight as a patient, that is always a positive, but there are plenty of risk factors. Like I’m under 40, which is not a risk factor, without underlying conditions. Asthma or having one kidney etc are also risk factors for people in those situations, with age a huge factor. It seems indiscriminate and it is in many ways, but there are risk factors that can’t be ignored. Alongside practical fact like the nation’s handling of it has not been great.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Patently not true..

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

[Removed by poster at 27/01/21 09:08:44]

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

There are certain proven factors that increase risk, as mentioned in the thread. If someone is a healthier / healthy weight as a patient, that is always a positive, but there are plenty of risk factors. Like I’m under 40, which is not a risk factor, without underlying conditions. Asthma or having one kidney etc are also risk factors for people in those situations, with age a huge factor. It seems indiscriminate and it is in many ways, but there are risk factors that can’t be ignored. Alongside practical fact like the nation’s handling of it has not been great. "

Yes, there are certain factors that comes into play as well.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"OP ... you are right, COVID-19 does not discriminate who it infects ... spot on, however as others have pointed out, being overweight does increase the risk of dying from it, for again, reasons other have pointed out. It is fact that obesity increases risk of Diabetes, Heart Disease and Stroke .... all of which are causes clinical vulnerability, and increased risk of mortality in there own right... before the risk of catching COVID as added.

Several years ago I was obese, and had a health scare which shook me to the core. Bad lifestyle, poor diet, lack of exercise... all in there as the cause of my issue. I decided I wanted to minimise the risk of dying earlier than I might (it scared the shit out of me) and so turned my life around.... Lost 6 stone and now am as healthy as hell, good diet, regular exercise... ok still enjoying the Gin, but hey ho!!

I fully realise I am just as at risk of catching COVID as anyone else ... though try minimise that risk by abiding by ALL of the rules. However if I am unfortunate to contract COVID, I realise, age wise I am at an increased risk - which I can do nothing about. However by trying to be healthy in every other way, I will not eradicate the risk, but at least hopefully give me an improved chance of not dying from it!!

R xx

"

Wish there was a way to like a post but this is spot on. Great response and some positivity too!

Brighton

Covid is viral, not bacterial. "

Reading the material being quoted from (WHO docs I think) I think the “bacterial poster” may be confused by the term “co-infection”

North West

Reading the material being quoted from (WHO docs I think) I think the “bacterial poster” may be confused by the term “co-infection”"

The poster in question is certainly confused by the concept of bacterial co-infection during a viral infection, yes. But seeing as I'm thoroughly unqualified to comment, I shall leave it there

Brighton

Reading the material being quoted from (WHO docs I think) I think the “bacterial poster” may be confused by the term “co-infection”

The poster in question is certainly confused by the concept of bacterial co-infection during a viral infection, yes. But seeing as I'm thoroughly unqualified to comment, I shall leave it there "

Bah who needs experts anyway

Farnborough

"OP ... you are right, COVID-19 does not discriminate who it infects ... spot on, however as others have pointed out, being overweight does increase the risk of dying from it, for again, reasons other have pointed out. It is fact that obesity increases risk of Diabetes, Heart Disease and Stroke .... all of which are causes clinical vulnerability, and increased risk of mortality in there own right... before the risk of catching COVID as added.

R xx

Wish there was a way to like a post but this is spot on. Great response and some positivity too! "

Aww thank you - most kind xx

[Removed by poster at 27/01/21 10:14:57]

"

It doesn’t frustrate me because the science is pretty obvious, being overweight let alone obese is a huge toll on your body and your health. Don’t get sucked into HAES, they’ll trick you to never lose weight as it’s “impossible” ie. hard.

Which it is, but I still lost 30kg, never felt healthier.

Man not being out of breath just walking about the place is the most noticeable thing for me.

Farnborough

Covid is viral, not bacterial. "

Tomayto .... Tomato .... it’s a horrible virus that is killing people... with a predilection of killing those who for whatever reason are at more risk from factors we can do nothing about, ethnicity, age to name 2. There are however things we can do something about which will help improve the chances of beating this and a whole range of other well known risks - they are an individual choice!

R x

Farnborough

It doesn’t frustrate me because the science is pretty obvious, being overweight let alone obese is a huge toll on your body and your health. Don’t get sucked into HAES, they’ll trick you to never lose weight as it’s “impossible” ie. hard.

Man not being out of breath just walking about the place is the most noticeable thing for me."

Well done you ... you’ve taken charge here, complete respect. X

The poster in question is certainly confused by the concept of bacterial co-infection during a viral infection, yes. But seeing as I'm thoroughly unqualified to comment, I shall leave it there

Bah who needs experts anyway "

the itony of him saying if you dint know what your on about dont just paste from the internet... then not even bothering to fix the spacing in his copy paste to make it look like his own work

Manchester (she/her)

The poster in question is certainly confused by the concept of bacterial co-infection during a viral infection, yes. But seeing as I'm thoroughly unqualified to comment, I shall leave it there "

By *iss.ddWoman  over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

"

I don’t think it discriminates in terms of who it infects but I have heard that an awful lot of the ‘younger’ fatalities have been pretty fat fuckers I think. pretty fat fuckers... wow.... "

Vile.

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"They’ll probably blame smoking next

Ffs "

Well... you do know that Covid is primarily a respiratory disease, so therefore smoking will be a risk factor...

By *ature guy.Man  over a year ago

leeds

[Removed by poster at 27/01/21 13:06:57]

By *innerdateMan  over a year ago

Leigh

"Obese people are more likely to have diabetes/pre diabetes (maybe undiagnosed) and/or cardiovascular disease (again diagnosed or undiagnosed). That's not ALL obese people, but many. We know Covid is substantially a cardiovascular disease and so any cardiovascular risk factors (including diabetes) means someone is high risk. Having a BMI over 40 is on the "extremely clinically vulnerable" list.

Cardiovascular problems and diabetes are not exclusive to obese people. Elderly people of any weight are also very likely to have some degree of cardiovascular disease, hence why being old is also a strong risk factor."

It's pretty obvious the healthier you are you have a better chance of surviving Covid, I know this isnt always the case, maybe some people are just more susceptible to Covid genetically, and no one would know this until you got it so my advice is to keep healthy and it will give you the best chance

"Its strange how the tv presenters husband has been in itu for nearly a year with covid, and everyone else seems to have not long in there ...

I believe he was put into a coma to give his lungs a rest and now can't wake up, even though he's out of the coma.

"

I know that feeling after a 15 hour day.

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

I think we all need to be careful about who and what is being posted in the first place.

I strongly suspect the OP has thrown his comment into the room like a hand grenade then left and is laughing at the thread. I say this because he can't possibly be serious.

100,000 are dead so this kind of nonsense isn't really on is it?

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

To pick up on the OP (and the initially accurate but rude 2nd comment).

And being overweight in the UK often goes hand in hand with poverty. I worked for many years with charities working in food banks, providing furniture and poverty relief. Things that are needed now more than ever.

What is often provided is filling but not nutritious. Poverty isn't just a case of being unable to afford to buy food, it's often being unable to prepare it, not having a tin opener, gas or electric to cook it, the ability to follow a recipe or the knowledge or how to cook nutritious food, the understanding of what nutrition actually is.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that those that are most affected are those that are from the poorest in our communities, the ones with the worst housing, the worst education, the worst nutrition...

Ffs

Well... you do know that Covid is primarily a respiratory disease, so therefore smoking will be a risk factor..."

Actually smoking is an interesting one because it doesn't seem to impact on somebody getting sick.

What I mean by that is being a heavy smoker who doesn't have health problems related to it already don't seem to be fairing any worse than a non smoker.

By *ogloomMan  over a year ago

levens

Only thing I have got from this thread so far is

Cake goes hard... biscuits go soft.

Therefore I am cake.

Happy eating

"

The respiratory system is under far more load when supporting someone of far larger size and weight. A virus that attacks the respiratory system will reek far more havoc on that system than on that isn't working overtime already

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Ffs

Well... you do know that Covid is primarily a respiratory disease, so therefore smoking will be a risk factor...

Actually smoking is an interesting one because it doesn't seem to impact on somebody getting sick.

What I mean by that is being a heavy smoker who doesn't have health problems related to it already don't seem to be fairing any worse than a non smoker.

"

A study commissioned by the WHO in 2020 found that smokers are more likely to develop severe disease with COVID-19, compared to non-smokers.

Ffs

A study commissioned by the WHO in 2020 found that smokers are more likely to develop severe disease with COVID-19, compared to non-smokers.

"

Yes but anything you go to the doctors with as a smoker is put down to smoking.

When I looked at statistics regarding smokers there's actually not that much information.

By *audyandMichaelCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

[Removed by poster at 27/01/21 13:48:01]

By *audyandMichaelCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

"Obese people are more likely to have diabetes/pre diabetes (maybe undiagnosed) and/or cardiovascular disease (again diagnosed or undiagnosed). That's not ALL obese people, but many. We know Covid is substantially a cardiovascular disease and so any cardiovascular risk factors (including diabetes) means someone is high risk. Having a BMI over 40 is on the "extremely clinically vulnerable" list.

Cardiovascular problems and diabetes are not exclusive to obese people. Elderly people of any weight are also very likely to have some degree of cardiovascular disease, hence why being old is also a strong risk factor."

Birmingham

Ffs

"

With all due respect you (and I) are case studies of one. My grandparents both smoked like chimneys she was 104 when she died, he was 85...

Tonbridge

"To pick up on the OP (and the initially accurate but rude 2nd comment).

And being overweight in the UK often goes hand in hand with poverty. I worked for many years with charities working in food banks, providing furniture and poverty relief. Things that are needed now more than ever.

What is often provided is filling but not nutritious. Poverty isn't just a case of being unable to afford to buy food, it's often being unable to prepare it, not having a tin opener, gas or electric to cook it, the ability to follow a recipe or the knowledge or how to cook nutritious food, the understanding of what nutrition actually is.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that those that are most affected are those that are from the poorest in our communities, the ones with the worst housing, the worst education, the worst nutrition... "

Strange that poverty in a third world country equates to undernourished but poverty in the UK seems to equate to overnourished.

It is possible to eat the right amount of cheap food and remain the right weight. It doesn't help when people say you can be fat without consequences.

It seems to me like the situation with smoking 50 years ago when they were saying smoking is not dangerous. The people promoting fat as a positive choice are no different to those who used to promote smoking as a glamorous look.

Burnleyish (She/They)

"

Strange that poverty in a third world country equates to undernourished but poverty in the UK seems to equate to overnourished.

It is possible to eat the right amount of cheap food and remain the right weight. It doesn't help when people say you can be fat without consequences.

It seems to me like the situation with smoking 50 years ago when they were saying smoking is not dangerous. The people promoting fat as a positive choice are no different to those who used to promote smoking as a glamorous look."

You're mashing together a whole host of issues here... all different.

Malnutrition due to extreme starvation (so in a third world country or in cases of extreme child neglect) presents as a skeletal figure with a distended stomach as the body has used up all it's existing fat stores.

Malnutrition from the inconsistent provision of food or lack of decent nutritional content of food puts the body into starvation mode, building up fat stores... presenting as obesity.

As for people saying, 'you can be fat without consequences'

Some people can, and good for them. However, what is important is that scientific studies show that weight is just one small signifier of health. It certainly isn't the be-all and end-all and that stigmatising someone for their weight causes more damage and increases someone's weight...

By *rSshMan  over a year ago

Poundbury

We have known and we are aware that the UK is known as the ‘fat man’ of Europe. Furthermore the UK has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world.

There are many factors to why we have a massive mortality rate but being overweight is one of them - we shouldn’t be shocked by that as we all know the health issues of not being a healthy weight.

I travel extensively globally and always shocked by when I come back to the UK how many overweight our society has become.

That said, I am always shocked by how much people smock abroad.

It will all come out in the public inquiry I guess.

Poundbury

R xx

"

Great post

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

What are you basing your denial of this on?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

Yes

"

That's simply not true.

BMI over 40 is moderate risk (clinically vulnerable) NOT "Extremely vulnerable". Please check facts to prevent unwarranted fear.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/whos-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

But being obese does have a negative effect if you catch covid sooooo I’m lost with this post

It’s not body shaming when it’s proven and true

By *inky_ragnarCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough

"It's just another fear monger campaign for society to body shame again it's a bloody joke.

"

Science has proven being over weight is BAD. It's not fear mongering, it's not fat shaming. It's fact.

By * F 2018Couple  over a year ago

shropshire

Fat fuckers!! Harsh and rude

North West

That's simply not true.

BMI over 40 is moderate risk (clinically vulnerable) NOT "Extremely vulnerable". Please check facts to prevent unwarranted fear.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/whos-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/

"

I apologise for the error in stating extremely vulnerable. But people with a BMI over 40 are still in a category that puts them at much higher risk. It's the same category as people with serious heart, lung, kidney problems, diabetes, weakened immune system etc.

Tonbridge

That's simply not true.

I apologise for the error in stating extremely vulnerable. But people with a BMI over 40 are still in a category that puts them at much higher risk. It's the same category as people with serious heart, lung, kidney problems, diabetes, weakened immune system etc. "

Also, someone with a bmi over 40 is likely to have multiple health problems that raises the risk further.

I work in ICU

I’m there now on a break

Being overweight doesn’t help any illness. Fact

A lot of overweight people have undiagnosed illnesses. Fact.

A lot of “healthy weight” people have high blood pressure that is undiagnosed. Fact.

BMI should not be used by itself. It isn’t. Fact.

Healthy international fit rugby can technically have high BMI’s.

My point is a combination of factors such as weight, sedentary lifestyles, smoking, long term illnesses associated with these are not good with covid. Also a lot of people have undiagnosed issues. These seems to me from observation are key.

It is a respiratory disease to start that effects the whole body. Any weakness will not help.

So my advice. For what is worth is try to make a change now, lose weight it helps with so many health things. A little exercise. Walking three times a week at a fast pace will help.

Try and check your BP. my other half had high undiagnosed BP. Stress and lack of exercise. Two years later he is fitter, has more stamina, lasts longer and recovers quicker.

Perhaps this has made or should make us think about our general health how it makes a difference to so many parts of our lives.

Importantly let’s try and smile, be safe, be happy and look forward to happy fun times soon as we can

It’s a virus. Everyone knows that. If it were a bacterial infection then a dose of antibiotics would cure it in a few days.

Farnborough

"I work in ICU

I’m there now on a break

A lot of “healthy weight” people have high blood pressure that is undiagnosed. Fact.

My point is a combination of factors such as weight, sedentary lifestyles, smoking, long term illnesses associated with these are not good with covid. Also a lot of people have undiagnosed issues. These seems to me from observation are key.

It is a respiratory disease to start that effects the whole body. Any weakness will not help.

So my advice. For what is worth is try to make a change now, lose weight it helps with so many health things. A little exercise. Walking three times a week at a fast pace will help.

Try and check your BP. my other half had high undiagnosed BP. Stress and lack of exercise. Two years later he is fitter, has more stamina, lasts longer and recovers quicker.

Perhaps this has made or should make us think about our general health how it makes a difference to so many parts of our lives.

Importantly let’s try and smile, be safe, be happy and look forward to happy fun times soon as we can"

Spot on here .... an informed view from an amazing lady, who is part of an amazing team, doing an amazing job .... I absolutely salute you and all your colleagues... and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

R xxx

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"

No it doesn't frustrate me, it concerns me. Concerns me in that by pushing fat, old, ethnic minorities etc those outwith those groups are led into a false sense of security believing they're immune so don't have to social distance etc. Thus leading to increased infection and death because the bottom line is people, regardless of age, gender, bmi, ethnicity etc are dropping like flies!

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

A virus is not a bacteria so you're spouting a load of nonsense.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

Science and statistics do not support your argument.

The virus does not body shame, it looks for biological opportunities."

Stating that being obese is unhealthy isn't bodyshaming either in all fairness.

"

Could you post your source if this please?

"I work in ICU

I’m there now on a break

Importantly let’s try and smile, be safe, be happy and look forward to happy fun times soon as we can"

Manchester (she/her)

No it doesn't frustrate me, it concerns me. Concerns me in that by pushing fat, old, ethnic minorities etc those outwith those groups are led into a false sense of security believing they're immune so don't have to social distance etc. Thus leading to increased infection and death because the bottom line is people, regardless of age, gender, bmi, ethnicity etc are dropping like flies!

"

Yes, it does also concern me that people say "I'm young, I'm not an ethnic minority, I'm not overweight, I'll be fine". One you might not be, two that's not a reason to protect those who won't be.

"A meta-analysis of 24 cohort studies of 3338 hospitalized patients with COVID-19 found that

bacterial co-infection (estimated on presentation) was identified in 3.5% of patients (95%

Confidence Interval (CI)0.4 to 6.7%) and secondary bacterial infection (after presentation) was

identified in 14.3% of patients (95%CI 9.6 to 18.9%). The overall proportion of COVID-19 patients

with bacterial infection was 6.9% (95%CI 4.3 to 9.5%).

? Bacterial infection was more common in critically-ill patients (8.1%, 95%CI 2.3 to 13.8%).

? The majority of patients with COVID-19 received antibiotics (71.9%, 95%CI 56.1 to 87.7%) which

tend to be broad-spectrum agents. However, as bacterial co-infection is relatively infrequent in

hospitalized patients with COVID-19, the majority of these patients may not require empiric

antibiotics, particularly those without critical illness."

Also copied and pasted lol

"I work in ICU

I’m there now on a break

Thank you for all you’re doing in these shitty and testing times xx

"I work in ICU

I’m there now on a break

Importantly let’s try and smile, be safe, be happy and look forward to happy fun times soon as we can

Thank you for all you’re doing in these shitty and testing times xx"

Thank you. But as soon as we can we are taking a weeks holiday so we can have as many sexual encounters as possible it’s a good stress reliever

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Why are even talking about this ?? just another way for Boris/Alex and co to evade any kind of responsibility !! to put it really simply 100 plus thousand human beings have died due to there stead fast refusal to do even the most basic of things that leaders should and the only interest they have shown is how to reward their chums and backers and overwhelming numbers of "Poor/working class" or oiks as Boris called them have been the victims of his clueless leadership his whole life has just been one long vanity project !

North West

"Why are even talking about this ?? just another way for Boris/Alex and co to evade any kind of responsibility !! to put it really simply 100 plus thousand human beings have died due to there stead fast refusal to do even the most basic of things that leaders should and the only interest they have shown is how to reward their chums and backers and overwhelming numbers of "Poor/working class" or oiks as Boris called them have been the victims of his clueless leadership his whole life has just been one long vanity project ! "

We're talking about it because some of the deaths might have been prevented had very overweight people not been overweight. Future deaths, not just from Covid, but other causes, could also be prevented. It's not about fat shaming - I am obese according to the BMI scale, it's about recognising some risk factors can be adjusted. You can't change your age, your biological sex, your ethnicity etc. But you can control your diet etc.

Someone in here is actually a microbiologist? are you being serious lol"

Im a microbiologist

I'm astounded at the sheer stupidly of some covidiots who obviously do not want to learn but simply ignore correct sound advice simply because they can't accept their theory is wrong.

Astounding stupidity.

By *unCpl1234Couple  over a year ago

Odiham

Man not being out of breath just walking about the place is the most noticeable thing for me."

I feel like this guy is not getting enough credit for his achievement. 30kgs! That's fantastic achievement! Well done you!

For myself, when the obesity angle came to light, I got my partner and I out running and since then I've lost 20kgs in less than a year.

"

It is a respiratory issue, heavier people have or are more respiratory problems. seems logical to me.

Poundbury

"

For myself, when the obesity angle came to light, I got my partner and I out running and since then I've lost 20kgs in less than a year."

Congratulations you guys, that’s a fantastic result

North West

Im a microbiologist "

Me too

"

Believe what you like.

But if you read the medical reports you will see that there is plenty if evidence that even being a bit overweight makes it far more likely to get seriously ill if you get Covid, and far more likely to die as a result.

Bury your head in the sand if you like, but you only have to do the simplest google search to find the reports

40% more likely form a large American study apparently.

By *ogloomMan  over a year ago

levens

"

Im a microbiologist

Me too "

Look out they're breeding now...

4 years ago I had a BMI of 37

I was not fit and certainly not healthy, although I probably convinced myself I was at the time.

I went on to lose 5 stone and only after losing the weight did I realise how dangerous being that overweight was.

The majority of people with weight issues bury their heads in the sand and pretend they're healthy and feel ok as it easier than choosing to do something about it. Everyone should be doing everything they can to reduce the risk of becoming a burden on the health service

By *arrowman1000Man  over a year ago

harrow

Wellmit is a well know n clinical fact, that obesity is a factor, if you contract the virus...body fat can put pressure on yr vital organs and with the need to artificially ventilate and turn a person over at regular intervals, also makes it difficult for clinicians and more to lift weight...all makes sense...so instead of bullshitting people for telling the truth....

North West

"

Im a microbiologist

Me too

Look out they're breeding now... "

Nah, not in to breeding

"4 years ago I had a BMI of 37

I was not fit and certainly not healthy, although I probably convinced myself I was at the time.

I went on to lose 5 stone and only after losing the weight did I realise how dangerous being that overweight was.

The majority of people with weight issues bury their heads in the sand and pretend they're healthy and feel ok as it easier than choosing to do something about it. Everyone should be doing everything they can to reduce the risk of becoming a burden on the health service "

Good for you

Those who say they can't do anything about it are deluding themselves and storing up health problems for later in life.

And that's without Covid.

Why should the NHS have to bear he burden of treating those with self-induced health problems caused by the likes of smoking and obesity ?

By *unCpl1234Couple  over a year ago

Odiham

"4 years ago I had a BMI of 37

The majority of people with weight issues bury their heads in the sand and pretend they're healthy and feel ok as it easier than choosing to do something about it. Everyone should be doing everything they can to reduce the risk of becoming a burden on the health service "

Congrats to you as well! Looking good too, can I say?

By *uyinuMan  over a year ago

Scotland/Yorkshire

"

"

I think you will find plenty of research that obesity shortens life span.

Anyone who says they are fit and healthy with a BMI of more than 30 is kidding themself.

By *otgirl32Woman  over a year ago

Ashton Under Lyne

FFS obesity is a risk factor for dying from COVID. It's NOT fat shaming it's a medical fact.

Obese individuals have more "other" illnesses like diabetes and heart disease which puts them at risk. But also, even if you don't have diabetes or heart disease, in itself obesity is a pro-inflammatory state, your entire body is "inflamed" which makes you more prone to serious complications from COVID because as I understand it, COVID induces a massive inflammatory condition. So stay safe.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan  over a year ago

nearby

Analysis of 2,000,000,000 global deaths and 100,000 uk deaths by age, face, gender, weight and a whole load of other criteria may provide some answers to your question

BMI is a bit of a nonsense. Not sure how a persons health can be determined by factoring in two simple pieces of data

Anthony Joshua is perfect case. His BMI is 29.1. Someone tell me he’s unfit???

The fat lazy bastard

By *elshsunsWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

"FFS obesity is a risk factor for dying from COVID. It's NOT fat shaming it's a medical fact.

Obese individuals have more "other" illnesses like diabetes and heart disease which puts them at risk. But also, even if you don't have diabetes or heart disease, in itself obesity is a pro-inflammatory state, your entire body is "inflamed" which makes you more prone to serious complications from COVID because as I understand it, COVID induces a massive inflammatory condition. So stay safe."

Spot on

Flintshire

We as a society have become a bunch of politically correct whingers .... when will people realize it’s not okay to be overweight have a poor diet and not exercise . When will people realize nutrition and health go hand in hand ....

Lose bloody weight !!!!

Not sure what “PC Whingers” has got to do with Covid and BMI?

Flintshire

"Not sure what “PC Whingers” has got to do with Covid and BMI?"

I’m talking about being overweight

"We as a society have become a bunch of politically correct whingers .... when will people realize it’s not okay to be overweight have a poor diet and not exercise . When will people realize nutrition and health go hand in hand ....

Lose bloody weight !!!! "

it's not as easy as just lose weight.. if only it was... and with lockdown and everything else... it's harder still.

"FFS obesity is a risk factor for dying from COVID. It's NOT fat shaming it's a medical fact.

Obese individuals have more "other" illnesses like diabetes and heart disease which puts them at risk. But also, even if you don't have diabetes or heart disease, in itself obesity is a pro-inflammatory state, your entire body is "inflamed" which makes you more prone to serious complications from COVID because as I understand it, COVID induces a massive inflammatory condition. So stay safe."

Yep

Society sees it as perfectly acceptable to encourage people to quit smoking, for example, but as soon as people are encouraged to lose weight for the benefit of their health it is seen as body shaming or whatever. I don't understand that mentality at all

"We as a society have become a bunch of politically correct whingers .... when will people realize it’s not okay to be overweight have a poor diet and not exercise . When will people realize nutrition and health go hand in hand ....

Lose bloody weight !!!! it's not as easy as just lose weight.. if only it was... and with lockdown and everything else... it's harder still. "

I agree completely

It's fucking hard to lose weight and even harder to keep it off

But it is definitely worth it

Farnborough

Lose bloody weight !!!! it's not as easy as just lose weight.. if only it was... and with lockdown and everything else... it's harder still. "

If it is too hard, then accept the point you put yourself at higher risk.

Losing weight IS hard... been there done it and got the (smaller) t-shirt.... it is not about ‘a diet’ it is about making changes and adopting a better lifestyle. It may not give you all of what you want, and we can’t all be stick thin - but some of us have to try that bit harder to achieve it - that’s physiology!

If losing weight is hard ... just imagine how hard life is with constant chest pain following following an MI, or one sided paralysis following stroke, or losing a leg, going blind or ending up on dialysis should you develop Diabetes.... that was what kept me going - and to an extent still does!

R xx

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"

Glad I'm an ugly fat fucker now

Central

Obese individuals have more "other" illnesses like diabetes and heart disease which puts them at risk. But also, even if you don't have diabetes or heart disease, in itself obesity is a pro-inflammatory state, your entire body is "inflamed" which makes you more prone to serious complications from COVID because as I understand it, COVID induces a massive inflammatory condition. So stay safe.

Yep

Society sees it as perfectly acceptable to encourage people to quit smoking, for example, but as soon as people are encouraged to lose weight for the benefit of their health it is seen as body shaming or whatever. I don't understand that mentality at all "

I think it's typically about what's the tone of the message and how posters may be motivated. Few, if any, here would be critical of those who are loving and supportive in how they treat and speak of others. Thankfully, we get lots of high quality information and advice here, which outshines some of the poorer posts.

Flintshire

Yep

Society sees it as perfectly acceptable to encourage people to quit smoking, for example, but as soon as people are encouraged to lose weight for the benefit of their health it is seen as body shaming or whatever. I don't understand that mentality at all "

Exactly

Flintshire

There is help to be obtained to lose weight out there ...

Burnleyish (She/They)

Lose bloody weight !!!! "

It's posts like this that are actually the issues.

The assumption that overweight directly equals poor nutrition and lack of exercise.

Which then heaps shame on those people who are overweight who do expercise.

Who do eat healthy nutritious food.

Who don't buy into 'nutribollocks'

People don't go from healthy to unhealthy over night and the journey back is just that. A journey. Heaping shame, a continuous stream of 'its simple just eat less move more bullcrap is scientifically proven not to help...'

Lose bloody weight !!!! it's not as easy as just lose weight.. if only it was... and with lockdown and everything else... it's harder still.

There is help to be obtained to lose weight out there ... "

as I say if only it were that simple. I'm currently about 9 stone over weight... head in the right space I lose it ok.. it's the keeping it off and keeping it coming off that's the issue. I guess If I had weight related health issues maybe I'd have a bigger incentive but I don't. I've had covid already too.

Lose bloody weight !!!!

The assumption that overweight directly equals poor nutrition and lack of exercise.

People don't go from healthy to unhealthy over night and the journey back is just that. A journey. Heaping shame, a continuous stream of 'its simple just eat less move more bullcrap is scientifically proven not to help...' "

It is nowhere near simple

But it is achievable

Support should be available in a similar way that smoking cessation classes etc are via the NHS

Shaming someone who is overweight is probably going to have the total opposite effect and make them even less likely to seek support and make the important first steps in the right direction

Burnleyish (She/They)

"

But it is achievable

Support should be available in a similar way that smoking cessation classes etc are via the NHS

Shaming someone who is overweight is probably going to have the total opposite effect and make them even less likely to seek support and make the important first steps in the right direction "

Oh it's achievable but it's certainly not simple.

This time last year I (a known individual crock of ****) was still obese, still plus sized.

I was also running 60-80km a week, doing 3 yoga sessions and 3 strength training sessions.

I was fitter and healthier than I had been for any of my adult life.

I wasn't my lightest. My lightest I was my most unhealthy, sedentary, alcoholic, smoking 40 a day, couldn't walk 200 yards... but fucking hell noone would have said a thing cause I was a normal BMI...

Has eating replaced alcohol or drugs. Yeah sometimes, sometimes it has.

Is it the healthier way of dealing with my demons... (Note I said healither not healthy)... Yeah.

I also have to juggle hormonal and medication issues....

Does that stop people saying shit (yes it actually happens) in the gym, or when I'm buying food. Like honestly. It's worse than schoolyard bullying. You think I need reminding that I am overweight and need to exercise, as I head to the treadmill... Are you f'ing blind...

Sorry. I'm a bit sensitive about it.

Manchester (she/her)

I think people (on both sides) conflate help and concern trolling. So much advice on weight loss is insults wrapped up in a bow of "oh I'm just concerned about your health" (or sometimes that turd is presented without the bow). So of course lots of people reject it.

It doesn't mean that weight isn't an issue, but the support needs to be actually supportive, mindful to underlying and systemic issues, sympathetic to the humanity of people above a certain weight or BMI. (And might it still be emotionally challenging to hear? Yes. And we need to help people with that too)

"I think people (on both sides) conflate help and concern trolling. So much advice on weight loss is insults wrapped up in a bow of "oh I'm just concerned about your health" (or sometimes that turd is presented without the bow). So of course lots of people reject it.

It doesn't mean that weight isn't an issue, but the support needs to be actually supportive, mindful to underlying and systemic issues, sympathetic to the humanity of people above a certain weight or BMI. (And might it still be emotionally challenging to hear? Yes. And we need to help people with that too)"

very good post

Thing is for me I am slimming down, but when I hit my target according to BMI I'll still be obese.. currently my bmi is 48, but when I get down to a weight I'm happy to stay at.. according to doctors and health officials I will be still seriously overweight. Despite the fact last time i was that weight I was a size 14/16 which is a size I am happy being and dont wish to be any slimmer. So I will still get it in the neck

"

But it is achievable

Shaming someone who is overweight is probably going to have the total opposite effect and make them even less likely to seek support and make the important first steps in the right direction

Oh it's achievable but it's certainly not simple.

This time last year I (a known individual crock of ****) was still obese, still plus sized.

I was also running 60-80km a week, doing 3 yoga sessions and 3 strength training sessions.

I was fitter and healthier than I had been for any of my adult life.

I wasn't my lightest. My lightest I was my most unhealthy, sedentary, alcoholic, smoking 40 a day, couldn't walk 200 yards... but fucking hell noone would have said a thing cause I was a normal BMI...

Has eating replaced alcohol or drugs. Yeah sometimes, sometimes it has.

Is it the healthier way of dealing with my demons... (Note I said healither not healthy)... Yeah.

I also have to juggle hormonal and medication issues....

Does that stop people saying shit (yes it actually happens) in the gym, or when I'm buying food. Like honestly. It's worse than schoolyard bullying. You think I need reminding that I am overweight and need to exercise, as I head to the treadmill... Are you f'ing blind...

Sorry. I'm a bit sensitive about it. "

I posted in complete agreement that it is far from simple

And I have been where you are so I have every empathy for you

People who pass negative comments at anyone regarding their weight are the lowest form of bullies

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"I think people (on both sides) conflate help and concern trolling. So much advice on weight loss is insults wrapped up in a bow of "oh I'm just concerned about your health" (or sometimes that turd is presented without the bow). So of course lots of people reject it.

It doesn't mean that weight isn't an issue, but the support needs to be actually supportive, mindful to underlying and systemic issues, sympathetic to the humanity of people above a certain weight or BMI. (And might it still be emotionally challenging to hear? Yes. And we need to help people with that too)"

That's very true, it's the problem with generalised messages, but people also need to be willing to hear the message and have a little self awareness. We seem to manage it with smoking and alcohol yet this one, probably the hardest of all, we sometimes can't even acknowledge is an issue. I need to lose weight and keep it off and if it was easy I would have done so by now. So I appreciate any help and that includes being reminded of the reasons why it's a good thing, but it's different for everyone. Pretending it's not a problem though doesn't make it better.

It doesn't mean that weight isn't an issue, but the support needs to be actually supportive, mindful to underlying and systemic issues, sympathetic to the humanity of people above a certain weight or BMI. (And might it still be emotionally challenging to hear? Yes. And we need to help people with that too)

That's very true, it's the problem with generalised messages, but people also need to be willing to hear the message and have a little self awareness. We seem to manage it with smoking and alcohol yet this one, probably the hardest of all, we sometimes can't even acknowledge is an issue. I need to lose weight and keep it off and if it was easy I would have done so by now. So I appreciate any help and that includes being reminded of the reasons why it's a good thing, but it's different for everyone. Pretending it's not a problem though doesn't make it better. "

I managed to lose weight and keep it off, and it was and still is fucking hard, and have been cigarette free for almost 6 months

I cannot, however, give up alcohol

However hard I try

So we all have our own issues

Birmingham

Lose bloody weight !!!!

People don't go from healthy to unhealthy over night and the journey back is just that. A journey. Heaping shame, a continuous stream of 'its simple just eat less move more bullcrap is scientifically proven not to help...' "

Not on its own no, but it is the foundation for many..one size fits all fits no one, but with a sound foundation & understanding of nutrition & activity the direction is clear, the time of the journey? Open to many diversions

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

The OP header was about Obesity, not overweight.

Obese people are more likely to have a number of underlying health conditions, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure etc. which makes them more vulnerable to Covid.

The UK suffers from higher malnutrition (poor diet) than most EU countries, statistically France's overweight population is half of the UK and Obesity rates are two thirds less.

As well as nutrition, attitude plays a part, whereas people are generally sympathetic to Obese people in the UK, I find that living in France people are more likely to be critical.

The descriptions on UK swing sites reinforce these attitudes, defining obesity as 'curvy' or 'fabulous' are misnomers, although 'ample' is more accurate.

Despite having a higher concentrated population in their cities, the French have a lower infection and mortality rate at 75% of the UK figure and I do think that obesity in the population is a significant factor.

By *luttyLaylaWoman  over a year ago

North West

"I work in ICU

I’m there now on a break

Love this

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

That's very true, it's the problem with generalised messages, but people also need to be willing to hear the message and have a little self awareness. We seem to manage it with smoking and alcohol yet this one, probably the hardest of all, we sometimes can't even acknowledge is an issue. I need to lose weight and keep it off and if it was easy I would have done so by now. So I appreciate any help and that includes being reminded of the reasons why it's a good thing, but it's different for everyone. Pretending it's not a problem though doesn't make it better.

I managed to lose weight and keep it off, and it was and still is fucking hard, and have been cigarette free for almost 6 months

However hard I try

"

2 out of 3 ain't bad as Mr loaf once sang. That sounds a fantastic achievement especially doing it in the last year. Was it all down to will power?

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

How about for an encore you explain General Relativity to Albert Einstein, you tell Stephen Hawking that he knows nothing about black holes, and you show Timothy Berners-Lee your design for a better world wide web..."

Oh Polly, I do love your pithy putdowns!

By *r. JoystickMan  over a year ago

Bexley

How can you be all that surprised that people who don't lead a 'healthy' (I'm assuming, for the case of this explanation, that if you are 'obese' you are not healthy) lifestyle are more at risk of death to a virus like this? One that affects respiratory functions nonetheless.

Note: Aware you can be obese per BMI with a rugby players build per se, but that is going to be the minority rather than majority.

This isn't something unique to COVID. Having an 'unhealthy' body/lifestyle puts you more at risk across the board in a lot of health areas...

However hard I try

2 out of 3 ain't bad as Mr loaf once sang. That sounds a fantastic achievement especially doing it in the last year. Was it all down to will power? "

My weight loss was a few years ago

I gave up smoking partly because I work in a high risk environment and wanted to give my lungs the best chance if I were to catch covid, and partly because it was affecting my training.

Alcohol though, I have no interest whatsoever in giving up now, however I have tried, and failed, in the past

Burnleyish (She/They)

"

People who pass negative comments at anyone regarding their weight are the lowest form of bullies

"

Oh god I'm sorry...

See very sensitive about it... I didn't mean it to sound like I was ranting at you at all. It was a kinda agreeing then expanding and it turned into a rant about concern trolls...

"

Oh god I'm sorry...

See very sensitive about it... I didn't mean it to sound like I was ranting at you at all. It was a kinda agreeing then expanding and it turned into a rant about concern trolls...

"

Nothing to be sorry for xx

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

"The OP header was about Obesity, not overweight.

Obese people are more likely to have a number of underlying health conditions, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure etc. which makes them more vulnerable to Covid.

The UK suffers from higher malnutrition (poor diet) than most EU countries, statistically France's overweight population is half of the UK and Obesity rates are two thirds less.

As well as nutrition, attitude plays a part, whereas people are generally sympathetic to Obese people in the UK, I find that living in France people are more likely to be critical.

The descriptions on UK swing sites reinforce these attitudes, defining obesity as 'curvy' or 'fabulous' are misnomers, although 'ample' is more accurate.

Despite having a higher concentrated population in their cities, the French have a lower infection and mortality rate at 75% of the UK figure and I do think that obesity in the population is a significant factor."

Exactly. If people know they are obese they should just sort themselves out.

Eat a balanced diet of the quantity your body needs. Simple really.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Despite having a higher concentrated population in their cities, the French have a lower infection and mortality rate at 75% of the UK figure and I do think that obesity in the population is a significant factor.

Eat a balanced diet of the quantity your body needs. Simple really."

I'm guessing it's not that simple

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Eat a balanced diet of the quantity your body needs. Simple really."

Yes, of course it is

Besides which the panic to return to normal BMI in anticipation of catching covid would be quite a distressing challenge!

It's a no-brainer

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m2237

77% of those admitted to hospital with COVID have been overweight or obese

The fact speak for themselves