FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > Positive but Negative!

Positive but Negative!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ig_time_Charlie OP   Man  over a year ago

Cambridge and London

I had a PCR test yesterday which has come back positive, I was really surprised as I've no symptoms and have been testing negative on lateral flow tests since Christmas eve!

I even took a lateral flow this morning and was negative an hour before I got the PCR result back!

I'm self isolating now, just wondered though, how soon before and after a positive result are you contagious?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ttoWoman  over a year ago

llanelli

The omicron strain doesn’t always have enough viral load to test positive on lfd. Isolation is for 7 days, 10 for some health workers unless they test negative on off days 6+7.

Test and trace can help you

Cambridge and London

"The omicron strain doesn’t always have enough viral load to test positive on lfd. Isolation is for 7 days, 10 for some health workers unless they test negative on off days 6+7.

Test and trace can help you "

Thanks!

By *ioloCouple  over a year ago

Basingstoke

I had the same situation with Delta. Positive on two PCR , never on LFT. No symptoms either. I’ve checked later for antibodies and had them. Looks like the virus got in my body but was killed instantly.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"I had a PCR test yesterday which has come back positive, I was really surprised as I've no symptoms and have been testing negative on lateral flow tests since Christmas eve!

"

What made you have a PCR test ?

Cambridge and London

"I had a PCR test yesterday which has come back positive, I was really surprised as I've no symptoms and have been testing negative on lateral flow tests since Christmas eve!

What made you have a PCR test ?"

I needed to have one as I was due to go into hospital for an appointment, only for that I never would have bothered.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I do wonder if I've had it then in December. Cold symptoms, had a sore throat, voice went. All lateral flow negative so never went for a pcr.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I know it's strange and i was the other way round. No symptoms positive on LFT but negative on PCR.

"I do wonder if I've had it then in December. Cold symptoms, had a sore throat, voice went. All lateral flow negative so never went for a pcr. "

You should always have a PCR if you have any symptoms. LFT is meant for no symptoms. Also worth looking up the list of symptoms for omnicrom because they are a bit different.

"The omicron strain doesn’t always have enough viral load to test positive on lfd. Isolation is for 7 days, 10 for some health workers unless they test negative on off days 6+7.

Test and trace can help you "

Its 10 days isolation for everybody unless you test negative and day 6 and 7 on an LFT.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Its 10 days isolation for everybody unless you test negative and day 6 and 7 on an LFT. "

Can you leave isolation immediately on day 7, after testing negative or do you have to wait until the end of day 7 (11.59pm), and come out on day 8?

Its 10 days isolation for everybody unless you test negative and day 6 and 7 on an LFT.

Can you leave isolation immediately on day 7, after testing negative or do you have to wait until the end of day 7 (11.59pm), and come out on day 8?"

When I spoke to track and trace last week, I was told you have to test on day 6 then 24 hours later on day 7. If on day 7 your test is clear you can go out but if still positive on day 7 don't test again but you can leave home on day 10.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Can you leave isolation immediately on day 7, after testing negative or do you have to wait until the end of day 7 (11.59pm), and come out on day 8?

When I spoke to track and trace last week, I was told you have to test on day 6 then 24 hours later on day 7. If on day 7 your test is clear you can go out but if still positive on day 7 don't test again but you can leave home on day 10. "

Thank you, that makes sense.

Cambridge and London

Someone has told me that PCR shows if you have the virus whereas lateral flow shows if you have it and are contagious, is that right?

"Someone has told me that PCR shows if you have the virus whereas lateral flow shows if you have it and are contagious, is that right? "

Iv not heard that. I guess it's really hard to know whether someone is infectious or not.

By *wesomeLolaCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough

PCR tests are known to generate false positives.

LFT tests are more likely to generate false negatives.

"Someone has told me that PCR shows if you have the virus whereas lateral flow shows if you have it and are contagious, is that right? "

Bbc4 the Christmas lectures this year are about viruses. There was a demonstration on how lateral flow tests and pcr tests work. I think it was the second lecture. Have a watch on iPlayer. Both tests are testing for the virus, but the differences are a matter of accuracy vs time. Lateral flow tests detect how ever much viral load is on the swab you take and gives you an answer in 30 mins. If not much viral load is there, the line will be feint or very hard to see/no line.

Pcr replicates a section of the virus to make billions of copies so that it is more detectable in the test but this process takes 3 hrs to do.

I’d recommend watching the Christmas lectures, they’re interesting and informative

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

I even took a lateral flow this morning and was negative an hour before I got the PCR result back!

I'm self isolating now, just wondered though, how soon before and after a positive result are you contagious? "

Don't quote me as need to double check. They say a PCR test will show positive for up to 90 days after infection which is why LFT tests are used to confirm its over.

PCR is looking at RNA and this lingers even after infection ended.

By *rafficvanMan  over a year ago

Middletown

I'm self isolating now, just wondered though, how soon before and after a positive result are you contagious? "

all bollocks

Longridge

Then again, it's all bollox!!

No one died, no one got ill. Its all conspiracy to control us.

"Then again, it's all bollox!!

No one died, no one got ill. Its all conspiracy to control us."

So 3 of our friends who were previously healthy that ended up in hospital seriously ill, 2 ended up on a ventilator where faking it?

Longridge

As have family of friends and many others I know, plus I see local NHS stats direct from the horses mouth at our local hospital.

I think you might see that I was actually being sarcastic to the post before mine!!

"As have family of friends and many others I know, plus I see local NHS stats direct from the horses mouth at our local hospital.

I think you might see that I was actually being sarcastic to the post before mine!!"

No I had no idea you were being sarcastic, how would I know that?

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 08/01/22 00:42:09]

Longridge

If you look back, you'll see..

"If you look back, you'll see.."

I did look back and again no clue whatsoever.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

"If you look back, you'll see.."

I got you guy, made me smile.

Longridge

Phew.. thought I had a dry sense of humour..

I'll let you explain..

"Phew.. thought I had a dry sense of humour..

I'll let you explain..

"

There's no need to be rude not everybody gets sarcasm and if you are going to put something out there in a sarcastic way you need to expect not everybody is can a reply in a way that you want.

Longridge

It's not rude, it's what we call "dry Northern humour", don't take it that way.

Someone further up said it's "all bollocks".

Many people believe the lies, the conspiracies, that the government and media are controlling us.

If that's what the poster wants to believe, I ain't wasting my time arguing.

It is very real, people are dying and sadly, many more will.

By *ir-spunk-alotMan  over a year ago

south coast

"I had the same situation with Delta. Positive on two PCR , never on LFT. No symptoms either. I’ve checked later for antibodies and had them. Looks like the virus got in my body but was killed instantly."

You are made of strong stuff. Your body told Covid "not today, f off"

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

I'm self isolating now, just wondered though, how soon before and after a positive result are you contagious?

all bollocks "

Pretty much 2 years in, thousands dead, thousands hospitalised, thousands suffering life changeing health issues due to long covid.

Businesses bankrupt, jobs lost, the mental health toll immeasurable.

More money and research spent on developing vaccines to combat covid than ever before in our history.

The world's best experts pooling resources and knowledge.

Situations repeated throughout the world.

But still some people think its "all bollocks".

I despair.

Winston

Longridge

100's of 1000's dead here..

1000's of 1000's globally..

Deranged is the only explanation..

By *asterandGenieCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

It’s test on day 6 and test again on day 7 with 24hrs between tests and as long as you don’t have a temperature you can end your isolation with negative tests

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

It’s all getting a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest

One is positive

One is negative.

Which is it to be then

We don’t know what where the bloody hell we are

"

Bbc4 the Christmas lectures this year are about viruses. There was a demonstration on how lateral flow tests and pcr tests work. I think it was the second lecture. Have a watch on iPlayer. "

Just to echo Justlooking35

We have watched the Christmas lectures with Jonathan Van Tam and the explanation of LTF versus PCR was very informative. Lecture 2.

Highly recommended it. Complete myth buster, all factual and very easy to understand, with their explanation and demonstration

Longridge

This is on DHSC website:

Testing within 90 days of a positive PCR test:

Following a substantial clinical review of the latest evidence and testing data, we are now changing the advice for retesting within 90 days of a positive. From now on, if someone tests positive with a PCR test, they should not be tested using PCR or LFD for 90 days, unless they develop new symptoms during this time, in which case they should be retested immediately using PCR. This 90 day period is from the initial onset of symptoms or, if asymptomatic when tested, their positive test result.

The previous policy to continue LFD testing following a positive PCR result was because although very unlikely, it is possible to be re­infected within 90 days. However based on the latest testing data and clinical advice, the policy has now changed.

The clinical view is that during this 90 day window from a positive test, given the low rate of reinfection during this window, it is significantly more likely that a positive LFD test would be a false result, rather than someone being re-infected, causing people to isolate unnecessarily. Therefore we are now stopping the regular testing using LFD during this 90 day period. The individual should return to the regular LFD and PCR regime once 90 days has passed.

This means that the policy for retesting within 90 days for Adult Social Care is now the same as the policy for NHS staff. The policy also applies to professionals visiting a care home who have received a positive PCR result in the last 90 days.

As with all testing policy, this will continue to be reviewed in line with the latest evidence and scientific advice.

Longridge

Last post was prior to Omicron as you can be infected again after Delta:

Anyone who develops symptoms of Covid-19 should take a test even if they have just recovered from the virus, the government has said, amid concerns that recent covid infection does not offer protection from the Omicron variant.

New guidance published by the UK Health Security Agency suggests people who have tested positive for Delta or another covid variant within the last 90 days could still contract the new strain.

People who develop new symptoms even after testing positive in the last three months should take a PCR test, and if it is positive they should self-isolate in the normal way.

By *asterandGenieCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

"

People who develop new symptoms even after testing positive in the last three months should take a PCR test, and if it is positive they should self-isolate in the normal way."

Which as of yesterday the 11th is now no longer true, temporarily for now a confirmative pcr is not required after a positive LFT unless you’re claiming the support payment, part of a trial or clinically vulnerable

Oh my life this is an absolute comedy show of a thread have you heard yourselves. Like a bloody audition for the chuckle brothers 2.0. Enjoy!! Be Safe make sure you keep the largest window you have open an turn the stat up to full

» Add a new message to this topic