FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Virus > NHS volunteers

NHS volunteers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What a fantastic idea this is!

Anyone else volunteering? I just have. There are so many old people where I live and this makes me realise what how vulnerable they are.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *airyfatmanMan  over a year ago

by 'ere

"What a fantastic idea this is!

Anyone else volunteering? I just have. There are so many old people where I live and this makes me realise what how vulnerable they are. "

I agree it's a fantastic idea and would love to help, but currently have a 78 year old relative living here so can't take the risk. I was attempting to volunteer with my local blood bikers last year but a change of job meant I couldn't commit the time. If it wasn't for the relative situation I would really be looking into it again right now

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

My family don’t want me to, I’d like too, but with my health history over last 18 months it’s probably not a good idea

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It seems like a good idea but what work are people being asked to do ?

Despite YEARS of using the tweezers very carefully I still make it buzz..... so im not up to operations just yet.

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

It a great idea, lots of people need our help, but isn't this putting more people out there, so risk of further spread of the virus?

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"What a fantastic idea this is!

Anyone else volunteering? I just have. There are so many old people where I live and this makes me realise what how vulnerable they are. "

yes I put a link up in the virus forum just after I signed up.. let's hope they get the help they need

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

In Ireland they asked retired people, people with medical qualifications etc to come help the fight and within a week some 40000 people have signed up

As of yesterday private hospitals have agreed to come on board giving more bed staff labs

By *acktar74Man  over a year ago

leeds

Ive volunteered

Me too.

Just waiting for them to undertake whatever checks they have to do. Assume they just check criminal records and sex offenders list?(of which I'm clear on both counts I'd like to add!) Does anyone know?

"It seems like a good idea but what work are people being asked to do ?

Despite YEARS of using the tweezers very carefully I still make it buzz..... so im not up to operations just yet."

You made me smile Thankyou

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

"Me too.

Just waiting for them to undertake whatever checks they have to do. Assume they just check criminal records and sex offenders list?(of which I'm clear on both counts I'd like to add!) Does anyone know?"

When the NHS put out the call a few weeks back for retired personnel to return, the message then was all legal checks on them would be fast tracked; on the application for Volunteers, there's a section asking if you have a current DBS check?

No thank you

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Me too.

Just waiting for them to undertake whatever checks they have to do. Assume they just check criminal records and sex offenders list?(of which I'm clear on both counts I'd like to add!) Does anyone know?"

I’m the first instance they need to verify you are who you say you are - checking the system for the forms of Id you uploaded to them (driving licence, passport etc)

All being well that’s you verified if you like.

Some of the tasks require enhanced dbs certificate - if you already have one then you would have supplied the certificate number (which they will also check).

If you don’t have they may be offering enhanced dbs checking (but I’m not sure)

You can’t apply for enhanced dbs as an individual - the application has to be verified by an organisation.

For the most - once you’ve had your basic id checked that will be you live to take on support tasks

By *uttyjonnMan  over a year ago

cheshire

"

When the NHS put out the call a few weeks back for retired personnel to return, the message then was all legal checks on them would be fast tracked; on the application for Volunteers, there's a section asking if you have a current DBS check?"

I presume they have historical records for these people, I imagine it would be a different process for unknowns.

I just hope checks hold things up

"Me too.

Just waiting for them to undertake whatever checks they have to do. Assume they just check criminal records and sex offenders list?(of which I'm clear on both counts I'd like to add!) Does anyone know?

I’m the first instance they need to verify you are who you say you are - checking the system for the forms of Id you uploaded to them (driving licence, passport etc)

Some of the tasks require enhanced dbs certificate - if you already have one then you would have supplied the certificate number (which they will also check).

You can’t apply for enhanced dbs as an individual - the application has to be verified by an organisation.

For the most - once you’ve had your basic id checked that will be you live to take on support tasks "

Cheers mate. Yeah passport has been uploaded so under checks I guess. Last DBS I had was when I worked on GDPR 4 years back I think so I'm not covered by that any more.

here

"Me too.

For the most - once you’ve had your basic id checked that will be you live to take on support tasks

Cheers mate. Yeah passport has been uploaded so under checks I guess. Last DBS I had was when I worked on GDPR 4 years back I think so I'm not covered by that any more. "

DBS is valid for 1 year only

Also worth noting that for the majority of volunteer tasks DO NOT require you to currently have a DBS certificate or for you to apply for one .

They are only asking for ENHANCED DBS if you are to be involved with discharged patient transport.

This shouldn’t be a stopper for any one wanting to volunteer .

By *lanemikeMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Wonder if they would take me ?? I am a healthy active 75 year old who lives alone... Any thoughs ?

By *DreamOfGenieWoman  over a year ago

London

I can't leave the house but have signed up for phonecall support for elderly/vulnerable people whoa re feeling isolated and want a chat

here

"Wonder if they would take me ?? I am a healthy active 75 year old who lives alone... Any thoughs ?"

Yes you can volunteer and help with telephone support

"Me too.

Cheers mate. Yeah passport has been uploaded so under checks I guess. Last DBS I had was when I worked on GDPR 4 years back I think so I'm not covered by that any more.

Also worth noting that for the majority of volunteer tasks DO NOT require you to currently have a DBS certificate or for you to apply for one .

They are only asking for ENHANCED DBS if you are to be involved with discharged patient transport.

"

I used to process the old CRB's so I'm pretty up to speed on them! (though they're way better handled now than they used to be where they could take 6-8 months to process!!!)

I ticked all the volunteer roles so will see what they come back with.

Insurance companies just noted it on my policies, no amendment fees, and now registered. Unfortunately, DBS check slightly over a year old x

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I'm considering it seeing as my place of work has been temporarily closed.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

They're checking your name, if it's not Shipman or Crippen, then you're in...

here

"Me too.

"

Sorry - correction !

DBS is valid for 3 years

I hope there will be some checks are done.

Therws been reports of scum trying to trck the elderly and vulnerable out of money!

In a state of emergency, any scum like that should be heavily heavily sentenced!!

By *lairesurreyfunTV/TS  over a year ago

Weybridge

They reached the 250,000 within 18 hrs. Just waiting to hear back .jobs include taking NHS staff to work (RBS required ) or delivering medicines and goods

wife on 12 week lockdown got letter yesterday....

Thanks for all your support joining NHS volunteers

We are both ex Qualified Nurses

I'd join but I am also vulnerable as I'm on bio injections for arthritis....

Be safe out there

By *entleman JayMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

I’ve enrolled.

Wakefield

I’ve got enhanced DBS. My boss told me it was valid for five years?

Wakefield

"It a great idea, lots of people need our help, but isn't this putting more people out there, so risk of further spread of the virus?"

Maybe they should test volunteers before they start?

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

They don't seem to be asking for volunteers in Scotland yet? When they do I will if I can.

Slightly confused though..

Gov request 1 : stay at hone unless it's an emergency

Gov request 2 : we need everyone to leave their house to volunteer for the NHS.

here

"Slightly confused though..

Gov request 2 : we need everyone to leave their house to volunteer for the NHS."

No, they don't need everyone to leave their homes - they need 250,000 people to help with the emergency.

By *etro1940sCouple  over a year ago

Kingston upon Thames

In the last 24 hours more than 250,000 have registered ... but to ensure adequate coverage of all communities and to deal with the 1.5 million "vulnerable persons" this number needs to be bolstered. Well done to all who have stepped up to help, given their circumstances not everyone can assist.

[Removed by poster at 25/03/20 15:53:32]

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Slightly confused though..

Gov request 2 : we need everyone to leave their house to volunteer for the NHS."

Everyone who volunteers is an absolute hero but it shows the state of the nhs, when they had to beg drs and nurses who had left to return

DBS to be fast tracked and safe guarding to be used in the short term for nhs and social care volunteer's so there be a relaxing of the strict cqc rules

By *oppet22TV/TS  over a year ago

huddersfield

Wish I could not medical training

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"I'm considering it seeing as my place of work has been temporarily closed."

Done, just waiting to hear back

There all looking for cleaning staff

Trying to but DBS is putting the brakes on it. I have an enhanced DBS already and am on the update service. I don't have a physical copy of my certificate because I am on the update service. To sign up to volunteer I need to send a copy of my certificate which i don't have anymore AND cannot get hold of an actual person to help me.....so not an ideal scenario.

By *ve 63Woman  over a year ago

Newbridge

Already a key worker so busy working....

"It a great idea, lots of people need our help, but isn't this putting more people out there, so risk of further spread of the virus?

Maybe they should test volunteers before they start? "

they arent testing the NHS staff

here

"Trying to but DBS is putting the brakes on it. I have an enhanced DBS already and am on the update service. I don't have a physical copy of my certificate because I am on the update service. To sign up to volunteer I need to send a copy of my certificate which i don't have anymore AND cannot get hold of an actual person to help me.....so not an ideal scenario. "

You can still volunteer for the tasks that don’t require enhanced dbs . Apply as if you don’t have dbs and don’t tick the patient transport task

"Trying to but DBS is putting the brakes on it. I have an enhanced DBS already and am on the update service. I don't have a physical copy of my certificate because I am on the update service. To sign up to volunteer I need to send a copy of my certificate which i don't have anymore AND cannot get hold of an actual person to help me.....so not an ideal scenario.

You can still volunteer for the tasks that don’t require enhanced dbs . Apply as if you don’t have dbs and don’t tick the patient transport task"

Yeah? Thanks love. I've been on the phone and laptop all day trying to find a way.

I have an enhanced DBS certificate and also on update service.

I’ve done over 700 hours on duty.

Zero call outs bb

Tbf there are a dozen other volunteers in the half a mile radius of me.

I like to help where I can but it’s also reassuring that there are so many others wanting to help

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

We are both doing it, had three calls on it for the same isolating family on consecutive weekends who don't require assistance as they are sorted and didn't contact just Sam..

Transpires their GP may have requested support without contacting them which we have heard is happening elsewhere..

Ditto in that locally there are between 16 and 20 on the app and we have a functioning support network in the close and in the village so that's good too..

here

"We are both doing it, had three calls on it for the same isolating family on consecutive weekends who don't require assistance as they are sorted and didn't contact just Sam..

Transpires their GP may have requested support without contacting them which we have heard is happening elsewhere..

Ditto in that locally there are between 16 and 20 on the app and we have a functioning support network in the close and in the village so that's good too.. "

Similar scenario for myself.

Have contacted lots of people who did not know support had been requested for them.

Happy to carry on being available.

"I have an enhanced DBS certificate and also on update service.

I’ve done over 700 hours on duty.

Zero call outs bb

Tbf there are a dozen other volunteers in the half a mile radius of me.

I like to help where I can but it’s also reassuring that there are so many others wanting to help "

try contacting your local hub. I've been doing most of mine via the original facebook hub that got set up. Had a few things via the nhs app. But very limited

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've had nothing

Fortunately I have other volunteering I'm getting on with

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"We are both doing it, had three calls on it for the same isolating family on consecutive weekends who don't require assistance as they are sorted and didn't contact just Sam..

Ditto in that locally there are between 16 and 20 on the app and we have a functioning support network in the close and in the village so that's good too..

Similar scenario for myself.

Have contacted lots of people who did not know support had been requested for them.

Happy to carry on being available."

Wakefield

I didn’t get on the NHS scheme. I went on the local council website. There was a link to local charities. I went to help at a food bank yesterday for the first time. Packing boxes and then delivering them. It’s a very sobering experience. I’ve managed to persuade my son to help next time. He has no idea how lucky he is.

"I didn’t get on the NHS scheme. I went on the local council website. There was a link to local charities. I went to help at a food bank yesterday for the first time. Packing boxes and then delivering them. It’s a very sobering experience. I’ve managed to persuade my son to help next time. He has no idea how lucky he is. "

I've not been called upon yet through the NHS scheme but hadn't thought to check my local council website. I'll take a look to see if there's an opportunity for some evenings to volunteer.

» Add a new message to this topic